Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Washington County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
St David Rd & NC 94 image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, June 28, 2012
St David Rd & NC 94
North Carolina (Washington County), Creswell — B 29 — Charles Pettigrew
First Bishop-elect of Episcopal Church in N.C., 1794. St. David's Church, erected 1803 at his expense, and his home are ½ mile southeast. — Map (db m57006) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Creswell — Cherry
Named by surveyor Gisbourne J. Cherry. Post Office established 1898. 8 stores, 2 cotton mills, 1 gristmill, 1 blacksmith shop, 2 sawmills, 1 jail, 2 churches, 2 schools; 1 colored, 1 white, Charitable Brotherhood Lodge Hall, 1 barber shop. — Map (db m57041) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Creswell — Cherry Colored Schoolcirca 1920's — (A Rosenwald School)
Conceived in the 1900's by black educator Booker T. Washington and his Tuskegee staff. The Rosenwald program represented a massive effort to improve black rural schooling in the South through public-private partnership. Rosenwald schools were also . . . — Map (db m57043) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Creswell — Concord Primitive Baptist Church
Original deed 14, December 1808 Jacob Hassell to James Ambrose and Andrew Oliver, commissioners. Constituted 1810. — Map (db m57040) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Creswell — Cool Spring
Was known as Cool Spring in 1826. Hillie Holmes' Store was the last surviving relic as Cool Spring post office was moved into what became the town of Creswell in 1874. — Map (db m57039) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Creswell — Davenport Homesteadcirca 1770
Colonial home of Daniel Davenport, farmer, surveyor, and first Senator from Washingtyon County. He served in the Revolutionary War. Homestead 3 miles -> — Map (db m57044) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Creswell — B 12 — James Johnston Pettigrew
Confederate General, famed for charge at Gettysburg. His grave is 8 miles south. — Map (db m56999) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Creswell — B 35 — Lake Company
Josiah Collins, Sr., and partners drained part of 100,000-acre tract near Lake Phelps with 6-mile canal, completed 1788; mouth 2 mi. southeast. — Map (db m57010) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Creswell — B 57 — Somerset Place
Antebellum plantation of Josiah Collins III, who grew rice & corn. Home in 1860 to 328 slaves. Located six miles south. — Map (db m57014) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Creswell — The Davenport Home
This house was built ca 1778. Daniel (1755-1807) and Sarah Nichols (1756-?) were the first Davenports to occupy this home. They were wed in 1786, and from this union came: Elizabeth Warrington, Eunice Arnold, Priscilla Long, Nancy Bateman and . . . — Map (db m57045) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Mackeys — Mackeys Ferry1735-1938
Established by permission of King George II. Operated for 203 yrs. making 8 mile trips from Mackeys to Edenton. The largest vessel to operate was the John W. Garrett, a twin side wheel steamer 351 ft. x 41 ft. It carried railroad passengers, . . . — Map (db m57066) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — BBB-6 — 85th Redoubt
Union fort built by the 85th New York Regiment. It was taken on April 18, 1864, in one of the heaviest assaults of the siege. — Map (db m57018) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Ausbon HouseSniper’s Nest
Bullet holes around the upstairs window of the Ausbon House are haunting reminders of a fight to the death here on December 10, 1862, when a Confederate sniper refused to surrender. Hoping to drive out the U.S. forces occupying Plymouth then, Lt. . . . — Map (db m56977) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — BB-6 — Battle of Plymouth
At 4 P.M. on April 17, 1864, an advanced Union patrol on the Washington Road (A) was captured by Confederate cavalry (B). A company of the 12th N.Y. Cavalry attacked the Confederates, but was repulsed (C). Soon a large force of Confederate infantry . . . — Map (db m56926) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Battle of PlymouthStrategic Port & Transportation Center
The Battle of Plymouth, April 17-20, 1864, was the last major Confederate victory of the Civil War and the third largest battle fought in North Carolina. Two North Carolinians, Gen. Robert F. Hoke and Gen. Matthew W. Ransom, led the Confederate . . . — Map (db m56973) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — B 9 — Battle of Plymouth
Confederates under Gen. Robert F. Hoke, aided by the ram "Albemarle," took the town, April 17-20, 1864. — Map (db m56995) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Battle of Plymouth
Confederate troops led by Brig. Gen. R. F. Hoke achieved a brilliant victory in the capture of Plymouth from the United States military and naval forces, April 17-20, 1864. The iron-clad “Albemarle,” commanded by Capt. J. W. Cook, . . . — Map (db m57065) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — B 9 — Battle of Plymouth
Confederate troops led by Gen. Robert F. Hoke, aided by ram Albemarle, retook Union-occupied town, April 17-20, 1864. — Map (db m76833) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Battle of Plymouth Memorial
Honor to whom honor is due Dedicated to the memory of civilians and military forces engaged at the Battle of Plymouth, NC 17-20 April 1864 — Map (db m76846) WM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Brick House Landingcirca 1711
Owned by Arthur Rhodes. From this plantation, he sectioned off one hundred acres into what is now the town of Plymouth circa 1790. — Map (db m57047) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Carthagenia Lodge
No. 38 Prince Hall Affiliated (Founder of Black Masonry) Established 1800's Rebuilt 1975 — Map (db m57049) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — CSS AlbemarleIronclad Gunboat
In 1863, 19-year-old engineer Gilbert Elliott contracted with the Confederate Navy Department to construct an ironclad gunboat designed by John L. Porter, the navy’s chief architect. Elliott built the vessel at Edwards Ferry on the Roanoke River, 60 . . . — Map (db m56972) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — CSS Albemarle
The iron clad ram, the CSS Albemarle was the most successful Confederate ironclad of the Civil War and twice defeated the Union Navy. Build in a cornfield on the Roanoke River near Scotland Neck, the Albemarle played a pivotal role in the Battle of . . . — Map (db m62228) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Cushing’s TorpedoSinking of CSS Albemarle
CSS Albemarle, which had been built in a cornfield beside the Roanoke River in 1863-1864, helped drive the U.S. Army from Plymouth in April 1864 and defeated seven U.S. gunboats in May. The ironclad ram seemed invincible, but 21-year-old US. . . . — Map (db m56975) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Fort Compher BattlefieldThe Breakthrough
Atop the hill in front of you, on the left side of the field, stood Fort Compher (also called Fort Comfort), a key position for U.S. forces occupying Plymouth. The nine-sided fortifications was named for Capt. Alexander Compher of the 101st . . . — Map (db m76831) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — BBB-9 — Fort Williams
Principal Union fort at Plymouth, named for Gen. Thomas Williams, stood here. It was the last fort to fall, April 20, 1864. — Map (db m57020) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Hampton Academy
Dr. John Hampton, Benefactor Hampton Academy replaced Plymouth Academy and other small schools as principal white school in Plymouth 1902-1922. Reopened as a primary school 1928-1958. Plymouth Woman's Club acquired and preserved it in 1959 and . . . — Map (db m57059) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — BBB-4 — Hoke's Final Line
The extreme left flank of Confederate General Robt. F. Hoke's brigade was formed a few yds. N. just before the final attack, April 20, 1864. — Map (db m57015) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Latham Housecirca 1850
Built by Charles Latham who occupied the house until 1882. Home was occupied for decades by descendants of its builder, a Lawyer, County Sheriff, and State Representative. During the battle of Plymouth, town residents sought protection in the . . . — Map (db m62226) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — BBB-8 — Naval Action
The Confederate ironclad ram "Albemarle" sank the Union gunboat "Southfield", April 19, 1864, one mile N.E. in the Roanoke River. — Map (db m57019) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — New Chapel Baptist Church
Established in 1867. Rev. Abraham Mebane entered into a lease agreement with the Lowell Colored School Society, giving New Chapel the right to erect a church on lot No. 41 in the town of Plymouth. — Map (db m57053) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Plymouth State Normal SchoolOriginal Site circa 1881
Established by the NC General Assembly as one of two NC schools for training black teachers. Moved to Elizabeth City, NC in 1903 and was parent school to Elizabeth City State University. — Map (db m57050) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Plymouth United Methodist Church
Records first mention the appointment of William J. Waller as pastor of the Plymouth Methodist Episcopal Church, February 15, 1826. The first building was constructed in 1832. The church cemetery predates the church with the earliest grave dating . . . — Map (db m57054) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — B 10 — Ram Albemarle
Confederate ironclad, winner of notable victories under Capt. J. W. Cooke, was sunk 600 feet north, night of Oct. 27, 1864. — Map (db m56998) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — BBB-5 — Ransom's Assault
General Matt Ransom's brigade formed in line of battle near here in the final Confederate attack, April 20, 1864. — Map (db m57016) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Replica 6.4 inch Brooke Rifled CannonConfederate Naval Cannon from the CSS Albemarle
The Brooke Rifle is named after its developer, Commander John Mercer Brooke (CSA), who served as Chief, Dept. of Ordnance and Hydrography. While closely resembling the popular Parrott Gun used by the Union, the Brooke Rifle is considered to be the . . . — Map (db m57028) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Roanoke River Lighthouse
Roanoke River Lighthouse established by US. Lighthouse Service 1866, Plymouth North Carolina — Map (db m62224) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Rt. Rev. Alfred Augustin Watson1818-1905
1st Bishop Diocese of East Carolina Rector of Grace Episcopal Church Plymouth, NC St. Luke's Episcopal Church Roper, NC 1844-1858 "The past is gone, the future is here." — Map (db m57060) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Siege of Plymouth, NC
Union Forces Under the command of General Henry Walton Wessells Engaged and captured April 17-20, 1864. "Plymouth Pilgrims" 16th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry 2nd Massachusetts Heavy Artillery - Companies G & H 12th New York . . . — Map (db m57025) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — BBB-7 — Union Earthworks
The main line of Union defenses during the Battle of Plymouth, April 17-20, 1864, was built across the road at this point. — Map (db m76834) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Washington County Courthouse
The first courthouse was located at Lee's Mill, Roper 1801. Moved to Plymouth 1823. It was destroyed by fire three times, 1860-1862-1881. Present courthouse built 1918. — Map (db m57062) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Roper — B 23 — Buncombe Hall
The home of Col. Edward Buncombe of the Continental Line, who was captured at Germantown and died a prisoner in 1778, stood one mi. N. — Map (db m57005) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Roper — B 22 — Mackeys Ferry
Established 1735 over Albemarle Sound, succeeding Bells Ferry. Discontinued in 1938. Southern terminus was 3 miles northwest. — Map (db m57003) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Roper — Sleepy Hollow
Harrison-Blount House circa 1835. Located on Kendricks Creek in a lovely setting of moss-draped cypress trees in Lees Mill. — Map (db m57070) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Roper — St. Luke's Episcopal ChurchOriginal Site — 1836
Built on Edward Buncombe property purchased from the estate for one dollar. De-consecrated and torn down in 1918. The Church of the Advent Episcopal Church in Roper renamed St. Luke's Episcopal Church. It became St. Luke's-St. Anne's Episcopal . . . — Map (db m57069) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Skinnersville — PearidgeSaharah Plantation
1837-1840 Josiah Collins & Ebenezer Pettigrew purchased 500 acres of land, planted 40,000 mulberry trees and raised silk worms for the silk business. S.S. Simmons Fishery circa 1835 Piney Grove Freewill Baptist Church circa 1895 Sound Post . . . — Map (db m57067) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Skinnersville — B 49 — Rehoboth Church
Colonial Anglican congregation known as Skinners Chapel. Present church constructed 1850-1853. Now United Methodist. — Map (db m57013) HM

47 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.