On November 10, 1837, a company of eighteen Republic of Texas soldiers led by Lt. A.B. Benthuysen engaged in a battle with approximately 150 Indians near this site. Ten Texas soldiers were killed in the battle, and the Indian casualties were . . . — — Map (db m108546) HM
Through Decatur passed the Butterfield Overland Mail Line connecting St. Louis and San Francisco with semi-weekly stage and mail service, 1858-1861. The length of the route, 2,795 miles and the superior service maintained made this a pioneer . . . — — Map (db m105419) HM
Captain George W. Stevens was born in Lowndes County, Alabama, on July 12, 1830. He lived in Arkansas briefly where he married Martha McDonald in 1852. The couple moved to the Wise County area in 1855 and Stevens became a leader in the efforts to . . . — — Map (db m108526) HM
Near this site ran one of the many "feeder" branches of the famous Chisholm Trail, best-known of all the cattle trails that once linked the vast grasslands of Texas with the meat-hungry markets of the north.
The original trail, which stretched . . . — — Map (db m108532) HM
A leading public man in Texas, 1896-1939. Born in Wise County to early (1854) settlers. After two years at Texas A & M, read law and began practice in 1886. Served 1888-92 as Decatur City attorney; 1892-96 as county attorney; 1896-1901 and 1909-13 . . . — — Map (db m108521) HM
Absalom Bishop (1804-1883) began his military service as a captain of militia in the Seminole War in Florida. He later attained the rank of colonel. Bishop lived in several states before arriving in Hopkins County, Texas, in 1852, and then in what . . . — — Map (db m108529) HM
World’s first institution to be planned (in 1898) as a junior college. This hall was built in 1892 for an earlier school.
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places — — Map (db m108536) HM
Born in Illinois, William Renshaw studied medicine and set up practice in Sparta, Tennessee. His wife Sarah received from the Mexican government a grant of land in Texas, where her father Samuel Worthington lost his life in a colonization attempt in . . . — — Map (db m108593) HM
Oldest original church building in Decatur. Consecrated by great missionary bishop, the Rt. Rev. A.C. Garrett. Erected facing Main Street (2 blks. w. of square) in 1889.
Known as "The Little Church with the Crosses", by 1912 it had . . . — — Map (db m108544) HM
This financial institution was organized in 1883 by Decatur bankers Dan Waggoner, Henry Greathouse, and other pioneer businessmen. Waggoner's son, W. T. Waggoner (b. 1854), a prominent Texas cattleman and oilman, served as bank president from 1904 . . . — — Map (db m108543) HM
Famous western frontier outlaws, who had many Texas hideouts along a line from the Rio Grande to the Red River. The camps—extending into Missouri, their home state—were used for hiding stolen horses until posses could be thrown off the . . . — — Map (db m108533) HM
First stone house in Decatur. Erected by prison labor about 1859. Main house was residence of sheriff or deputy. Basement was used as jail. Meals were sent down a dumb-waiter located outside the east end of the house.
County sold property in . . . — — Map (db m108539) HM
Respected Negro citizen and homeowner. Champion pioneer fiddler, popular at Forts Belknap, Griffin and Richardson and over county. Once when he was an Indian captive, held in Kansas, Texans sent ponies to ransom him. He is buried in Oaklawn, . . . — — Map (db m108524) HM
Tennessee pioneer Sam Woody (1826-1920) migrated to Texas in the 1840s. He brought his family to Wise County in 1854. This cabin, located near Deep Creek, was the first dwelling in the area. After Woody cut the logs, friends and relatives helped him . . . — — Map (db m108540) HM
Dedicated and courageous. Born in Indiana; reared in Missouri. Wounded twice in Confederate service during the Civil War.
On reorganization of Texas Rangers, 1874, was commissioned first lieutenant; promoted 1875 to captain, Company A, official . . . — — Map (db m108537) HM
Local businessman E.F. Boydston (1888-1945) purchased this site, a former feed lot, in 1927 for $400. Recognizing a potential business opportunity in offering services to the traveling public, he built a wooden shed and gas station in 1927. . . . — — Map (db m101511) HM
The Confederate veterans of Wise County are said to have held occasional reunions in the 1860s-1870s. Old settlers invited both the Confederate veterans and Wise County pioneers to an 1881 reunion at Cold Springs. This was on July 12, the . . . — — Map (db m108538) HM
County named for Henry A. Wise, U.S. Senator from Virginia who supported Texas annexation, later Governor and C.S.A. general. Wise County was part of District One of 33 brigade districts of Texas established to recruit men for Confederate and state . . . — — Map (db m108530) HM
Started by William Forster in 1880, the "Messenger" was published in Paradise (10 mi. SW) and Alvord (11 mi. NW) before a permanent move to Decatur in 1885. Early editions included poems, love stories, and lists of strayed animals and mail at the . . . — — Map (db m108535) HM
Honoring all who served so well and dedicated to the everlasting memory of those from Wise County who made the supreme sacrifice in World War I 1917-1918 and World War II 1941-1945 — — Map (db m108597) WM