Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission Historical Markers

2125 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1925
 
Gettysburg Campaign Marker, Barlow Greenmount Road image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, June 18, 2011
Gettysburg Campaign Marker, Barlow Greenmount Road
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Barlow — Gettysburg Campaign
The Union Army 11th Corps, crossing from the Emmitsburg Road, July 1, 1863, turned north here toward Gettysburg. The Union 2nd Corps camped here on the same night. — Map (db m43640) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Biglerville — Russell Tavern
The original building in which George Washington lodged in October, 1794, while engaged in quelling the Whiskey Rebellion is standing just west within view of this point. — Map (db m63676) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Cashtown — Gettysburg Campaign
Crossing South Mountain from Chambersburg, Gen. Hill's Corps of Lee's army assembled here on June 29-30, 1863. On July 1, his advance guard moved up from near Marsh Creek and met Union Troops west of Gettysburg. — Map (db m5814) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Cashtown — Mary Jemison(1743-1833)
In 1758, during the French & Indian War, a party of French soldiers and Shawnee took Mary Jemison from her home 3 miles north of here. Although most of her family and neighbors were killed, Mary was adopted by two Seneca women. Jemison lived with . . . — Map (db m11620) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), East Berlin — Studebaker Home
Built ca. 1790 by David Studebaker, carpenter, farmer, and minister. He was related to the family that later built wagons and automobiles. The house is privately maintained as a museum. — Map (db m11638) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Fairfield — "Tapeworm Railroad"
Begun in 1836 by the State of Pennsylvania, largely through the efforts of Thaddeus Stevens. The meandering railroad's nickname was provided by its opponents. It was put up for sale in 1842. Just west of here stands its granite stone viaduct. — Map (db m10767) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Fairfield — Field Hospital
Wounded of the Sixth U.S. Cavalry and Sixth Virginia Cavalry C.S.A. were cared for in this church building after a severe engagement that took place two miles north of here on July 3, 1863. — Map (db m10773) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gardners — Pine Grove Furnace POW Interrogation Camp
During WWII, the US War Dept. operated this secret facility a mile north along Michaux Rd., one of three such sites in the US. Military intelligence relating to topics such as weaponry development and Axis operations was gained from thousands of . . . — Map (db m84036) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Adams County
Formed January 22, 1800 out of York County. The name honors President John Adams. Important center of fruit growing industry. County seat of Gettysburg, incorporated 1806, was site in 1863 of key Civil War battle and President Abraham Lincoln's . . . — Map (db m19252) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Battle of GettysburgEast Cemetery Hill — July 2, 1863 —
This hallowed ground witnessed a furious struggle in a climactic moment on July 2, 1863, during the Battle of Gettysburg. Confederate forces attacked and briefly broke the Union line here. After a fierce struggle, the Confederates were forced to . . . — Map (db m105076) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Daniel Alexander Payne(1811-1893)
Born a free African-American. He taught the Colored people at this college, 1837, while a student at the Lutheran Seminary. A historian, he was elected bishop of the A.M.E. Church, 1852, and was president of Wilberforce University, 1863-76. — Map (db m40951) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — 226 — Dobbin HouseAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Built in 1776 by the Rev. Alexander Dobbin. In use for some 25 years as one of the first classical schools west of the Susquehanna River. It is now a museum refurnished in keeping with the early period. — Map (db m122380) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Dwight D. Eisenhower
The future President of the U.S., General of the Army, and Supreme Commander in Europe in WW II lived in this house with his wife Mamie and infant son Icky in the spring and summer of 1918. An Army captain, he was then commanding Camp Colt at . . . — Map (db m6179) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Eddie Plank (1875-1926)
Baseball great. One of the most dominant pitchers of the twentieth century. "Gettysburg Eddie" compiled a record of 326-194 throughout his career (1901-17), mostly with the Philadelphia Athletics. He won 20 Games or more eight times and helped the . . . — Map (db m8651) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Gettys Crossroads and Tavern
Here the Shippensburg-Baltimore and the Philadelphia-Pittsburgh Roads crossed. Near the crossroads, stood the tavern of Samuel Gettys. In 1775, troops gathered here for Continental service. — Map (db m17045) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Gettysburg Address
Nearby, Nov. 19, 1863, in dedicating the National Cemetery, Abraham Lincoln gave the address which he had written in Washington and revised after his arrival at Gettysburg the evening of November 18. — Map (db m8025) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Gettysburg Address
Nearby, Nov. 19, 1863, in dedicating the National Cemetery, Abraham Lincoln gave the address which he had written in Washington and revised after his arrival at Gettysburg the evening of November 18. — Map (db m15129) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Gettysburg Campaign
On July 4, 1863, the Confederate Army began an orderly retreat by the Fairfield Road to the Potomac. They began crossing the river on the night of July 13, after a delay caused by high water. — Map (db m10789) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Gettysburg Campaign
Gen. George G. Meade, who had replaced Hooker as Union commander, June 28, 1863, traveled this road from Taneytown to Gettysburg the night of July 1. He made his headquarters just south of Gettysburg. — Map (db m10826) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Gettysburg Campaign
The Union Army 12th Corps arrived here the afternoon of July 1, 1863; and later moved into battle line on Culp's Hill. On July 2, the 6th Corps arrived by this same road, and the 5th Corps by the Hanover Road. — Map (db m11716) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Gettysburg Campaign
Gen. Rodes' Confederate troops marched down this road July 1, 1863, on their way from Carlisle. At this point they turned right along the ridge to Oak Hill, to attack the Union flank. — Map (db m27022) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Lincoln Cemetery
Established in 1867 by the Sons of Good Will for the proper burial of Gettysburg’s African American citizens and Civil War veterans. Some thirty members of the US Colored Troops are buried here, having been denied burial in the National Cemetery . . . — Map (db m31189) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Lower Marsh Creek Church
Present building erected 1790 by a Presbyterian congregation dating from 1748. Later remodeled, its exterior preserves much of the old-style design. — Map (db m10774) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Manor of Maske
Surveyed in 1766. Named for an estate in England. The Manor was about 6 miles wide and 12 miles long with the southern boundary at present Mason-Dixon Line. It was the second largest reserved estate of the Penns in Pennsylvania. The eastern boundary . . . — Map (db m13939) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — McAllister's MillUnderground Railroad Station
At their grist mill on nearby Rock Creek, James McAllister and his family provided temporary shelter to hundreds of fugitive slaves. Now in ruin, it was part of one of the earliest UGRR networks through which freedom seekers passed on their way . . . — Map (db m61438) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Old Courthouse
First courthouse for Adams County stood in old Center Square from 1804 to 1859. The land for the Square was given by James Gettys. — Map (db m32472) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Pennsylvania
Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. birthplace of The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of The United States — Map (db m8055) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Rural Electrification
In 1936 seventy-five percent of Pennsylvania farms had no electric service. During the next five years, with Federal support, 14 consumer-owned cooperatives were formed in this Commonwealth. Adams Electric Cooperative at Gettysburg, serving members . . . — Map (db m26818) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Sachs Covered Bridge
Located just SE of here on the intersecting road. Built in 1852 by David S. Stoner, this lattice-truss bridge (based on a design patented by Connecticut architect Ithiel Town) extends 100 feet across Marsh Creek. Both Union and Confederate troops . . . — Map (db m11771) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Thaddeus Stevens
Lawyer, congressman, abolitionist, ironmaker, and defender of free public schools in Pennsylvania, lived in a house that stood on this site. He moved from here in 1842. — Map (db m18114) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Wills House
Abraham Lincoln was a guest of David Wills in this house, Nov. 18 and 19, 1863. Here he met Governor Curtin and others, greeted the public, and completed his Gettysburg Address. — Map (db m32477) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Greenmount — Gettysburg Campaign
The Union Army 1st Corps camped here June 30, 1863, on the way to Gettysburg. Followed later by the 11th and 3rd Corps, they marched next morning to relieve Buford's cavalry, already in action west of the town. — Map (db m11717) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Hampton — Gettysburg Campaign
Part of General Jubal Early's Confederate Division, marching by Mummasburg and Hunterstown, passed here June 27, 1863, on the way to York. Returning June 30, they passed a little to the north, toward Heidlersburg. — Map (db m43956) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Heidlersburg — Gettysburg Campaign
Gen. Early's Confederate troops, marching from York to join Lee's army, camped, June 30, three miles to the east. Arriving here next morning, they turned south toward Gettysburg, on orders of General Ewell. — Map (db m10840) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Heidlersburg — Gettysburg Campaign
Gen. Rodes' Confederate troops, returning from Carlisle to join Lee's army, camped here the night of June 30. The next morning, July 1, they marched west toward Biglerville, then known as Middletown. — Map (db m10842) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Heidlersburg — 372 — John Studebaker
Had his wagon works 2.5 miles SE of here, 1830 to 1836, when he moved west. In 1852 his sons formed the Studebaker Company, the world's largest maker of horse-drawn vehicles and, in 1897, a pioneer in the automobile industry. — Map (db m26026) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Heidlersburg — Rock Chapel
This is the oldest Methodist place of worship in this region. Built originally in 1773. Rebuilt in 1849, the second building is still standing about a mile north of this point on the side road. — Map (db m10358) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Littlestown — Christ Reformed Church
Known as "Mother of Reformed Churches" of this region. Congregation organized, May 1747, marking settlement of German pioneers in southern part of Conewago Valley. Section of present building erected, 1798. Many notable persons lie buried in the old . . . — Map (db m10848) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Littlestown — Pennsylvania
Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States — Map (db m95201) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), New Oxford — Conewago Chapel
Four miles south of New Oxford. Original Jesuit chapel built 1787 still in use and one of oldest in the United States. The mission was founded 1730. First Sacred Heart church in Pennsylvania. — Map (db m44548) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), New Oxford — Gettysburg Campaign
Part of Gen. Early's Confederate army, under Gen. J.B. Gordon, passed here June 27, 1863, to York. Early's main force followed a parallel route through Hampton and East Berlin. Both entered York the following day. — Map (db m43996) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Seven Stars — Manor of Maske
Surveyed in 1766. Named for an estate in England. The Manor was about 6 miles wide and 12 miles long with the southern boundary at present Mason-Dixon Line. It was the second largest reserved estate of the Penns in Pennsylvania. The western boundary . . . — Map (db m11623) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Avalon — Davis Island Lock and Dam
Below this bridge was the first lock and dam built (1878-1885) on the Ohio River. This was the world's largest movable dam yet constructed, and included the world's first rolling lock gate and widest lock chamber. Built and operated by the United . . . — Map (db m40201) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Bethel Park — 58 — Bethel Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Founded 1776, in the Old Stone Manse in South Park, by Reverend John McMillan, pioneer minister and educator. It is the mother of five nearby churches and has given its name to the community. In the cemetery, 14 Revolutionary War soldiers from this . . . — Map (db m122311) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Braddock — The Great Steel Strike of 1919
In the largest work stoppage to that date, over 350,000 U.S. workers went off the job. Reverend Adalbert Kazincy, pastor of Saint Michael's here, championed the strikers and provided the church as a meeting place. The strike failed after 15 weeks. — Map (db m47044) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Bridgeville — Bower Hill
Site of General John Neville's mansion, burned to the ground by insurgents during a major escalation of violence in the Whiskey Rebellion, July 16-17, 1794. General Neville was Inspector of Revenue under President Washington. In the two-day battle, . . . — Map (db m40393) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Carnegie — Honus Wagner(1874-1955)
The "Flying Dutchman" was hailed as baseball's greatest shortstop and one of its finest all-around players. A lifelong Carnegie resident, born to German immigrants. Played for Louisville Colonels, 1897-1899, and the Pittsburgh Pirates from . . . — Map (db m40682) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Coulter — Arthur J. Rooney(1901-1988)
Prominent Western Pennsylvania civic and sports leader and owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, 1933-1988. With his guidance the Steelers won four 1970s Super Bowls. An accomplished athlete, Rooney was influential in the National Football League and . . . — Map (db m49472) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Crafton — Hand's Hospital
On this site was located the isolation hospital erected in 1777 by General Edward Hand to care for troops at Fort Pitt. Blockhouses protected the original two-story log structure. — Map (db m40394) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Crafton — Pittsburgh
Gateway to the West and steel center of the world. Named for William Pitt by General Forbes after the fall of French Fort Duquesne in 1758. Laid out as a town by John Campbell in 1764. Incorporated as a city, 1816. — Map (db m40396) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Crescent — Shousetown Boatyard
Founder Peter Shouse, built "Kentuckian" its first steamboat in 1829. Sold 1837 to E.and N. Porter. By 1866 over 80 steamboats had been launched. The last was the 1727-ton "Great Republic", famed on the Mississippi River for its size and elegance. — Map (db m40223) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Duquesne — Braddock’s Crossing
Below this hill, about midday on July 9, 1755, a British army of 1300 made its second crossing of the river and advanced to drive the French from Fort Duquesne. A few hours later, with General Braddock mortally wounded and his army routed, survivors . . . — Map (db m6145) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Duquesne — Duquesne Steel Works
Plant here began in 1886. Acquired by Andrew Carnegie in 1890, then by United States Steel in 1901. Workers here implemented advances in rolling mill and blast furnace processes before 1914; in pollution control, 1953. At peak of operations they . . . — Map (db m45001) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), East Pittsburgh — George Westinghouse
Inventor of air brake and some 400 other devices. Developed AC transmission of electric current. Spent creative years in Pittsburgh and founded the industry which bears his name. — Map (db m40648) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Edgeworth — Ethelbert Nevin
Composer of "Narcissus," "The Rosary," and other well-known musical works, was born November 25, 1862, at Vineacre, a property adjoining the far end of this street. Died February 17, 1901, at New Haven, Connecticut. — Map (db m39943) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Elizabeth — Elizabeth
Here were the boatyards of John and Samuel Walker, a major center for building boats for western waters. A ship launched in 1793 at these yards reached Philadelphia via New Orleans. — Map (db m41772) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Elizabeth — Monongahela River Navigation System
One of the nation's earliest and most successful river navigation systems, its series of locks and dams, begun in 1838, has provided year-round navigation between Pittsburgh and Fairmont, West Virginia. Millions of tons of coal shipped through the . . . — Map (db m56942) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Forest Hills — Pioneer Short-Wave Station
On this site in 1923, Westinghouse opened a special radio facility to experiment with long-distance transmissions. Led by Frank Conrad, engineers here demonstrated the vital role of high-frequency short waves in sending broadcasts around the world. — Map (db m40901) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Forest Hills — Pittsburgh
Gateway to the West and steel center of the world. Named for William Pitt by General Forbes after the fall of French Fort Duquesne in 1758. Laid out as a town by John Campbell in 1764. Incorporated as a city, 1816. — Map (db m75099) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Forest Hills — Westinghouse Atom Smasher
The world’s 1st industrial Van de Graaff generator was created by Westinghouse Research Labs in 1937 as an early experiment with atomic energy. The 5-story pear-shaped structure is located here. The company remained active in establishing US . . . — Map (db m47038) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Fox Chapel — General Matthew B. Ridgway(1895-1993)
United States Army officer; he rose to the rank of general, 1951. In World War II, commanded the 82nd Airborne Division (famed for its invasion of Sicily), 1942-44; and 18th Airborne Corps, 1944-45. Supreme commander, United Nations forces in Korea, . . . — Map (db m47552) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Heidelberg — Heidelberg Raceway and Sports Arena
Opened in 1948, this former Pittsburgh Racing Association racetrack was the site of the 1956 final performance of Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus under the Big Top. Rising railroad costs, changing technology, labor troubles, space . . . — Map (db m57519) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Heidelberg — Neville House
Known as Woodville. Built 1785 by General John Neville; later occupied by his son, Colonel Presley Neville. Refuge of General Neville's family when some Whiskey Rebels burned his home at Bower Hill, July 17, 1794. — Map (db m40979) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Heidelberg — Old Saint Luke's Church
Oldest Episcopal Church in southwestern Pennsylvania, founded after the French and Indian War by veteran Major William Lea on his land grant. Francis Reno was the first vicar. Church members included General John Neville, the unpopular tax collector . . . — Map (db m40978) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — Bost Building
Completed, early 1892. Through that summer, it was headquarters for the strike committee of the Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steel Workers. Telegraph lines installed here transmitted the news from journalists who were covering the Homestead . . . — Map (db m44871) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — Carnegie Library of Homestead Swim Team
Carnegie Library opened here 1898. Host to athletic club that included world-renowned swimmers. Coached by Jack Scarry, Olympic medal winners were Susan Laird and Jo McKim, 1928, and Lenore Kight Wingard, 1932 and 1936. Anna Mae Gorman competed in . . . — Map (db m44870) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — Frances Perkins
United States Secretary of Labor, 1933-1945. Visited Homestead July 1933 to discuss New Deal policy. Local authorities barred her from meeting with aggrieved steelworkers in nearby Frick Park. Undeterred, she moved the assembly to federal property . . . — Map (db m44867) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — Homestead Strike
On the morning of July 6, 1892, on orders of the Carnegie Steel Company, 300 Pinkerton agents attempted to land near here; strikers and citizens repulsed them. Seven workers and three Pinkertons were killed. 8,000 state militia arrived July 12; by . . . — Map (db m39901) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — Mary Harris "Mother" Jones
Labor leader, workers' advocate. Arrested and jailed in Homestead for speaking to striking steelworkers, 1919. When a judge asked who gave her a permit to speak publicly, she replied, "Patrick Henry. Thomas Jefferson. John Adams!" — Map (db m44869) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Homestead — The Homestead Grays
Legendary baseball team that dominated the Negro Baseball Leagues during the first half of the 20th century. Founded by steelworkers in 1900, the Grays inspired African Americans locally and across the nation. Led by Cumberland Posey Jr., they won . . . — Map (db m40890) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Leetsdale — D.T. Watson Home for Crippled Children
Founded here in 1917 at Sunny Hill, the former home of David and Margaret Watson, it began as a residential school for disabled children. In 1952, Dr. Jonas Salk, assisted by medical director Dr. Jessie Wright, began the first human testing of his . . . — Map (db m129888) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKees Rocks — 1909 McKee's Rocks Strike
On July 14, unskilled immigrant workers led a strike against the Pressed Steel Car Company. Strain among the strikers, replacement laborers, and state police erupted into a riot on August 22. Eleven men were killed near this footbridge. Strikers . . . — Map (db m40873) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKees Rocks — McKees Rocks Mound
Largest Native American burial mound in Western Pennsylvania (16 feet high & 85 feet wide). It was hand-built by the Adena people between 200 BC and 100 AD and later used by the Hopewell people. Late 19th century excavations uncovered 33 skeletons . . . — Map (db m40899) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKees Rocks — Michael A. Musmanno(1897-1968)
The noted jurist lived here. Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice, 1952-68. A presiding judge for the War Crimes Tribunal in Nuremberg, 1947-1948. State legislator, 1929-31. Veteran of two World Wars. Author of 16 books. Buried in Arlington National . . . — Map (db m40900) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKees Rocks — Presston
Pressed Steel Car Company provided worker housing at substantial cost to employees, keeping them in constant debt. During the 1909 McKees Rocks strike against the company, immigrant workers were evicted from their homes. The evictions led to the . . . — Map (db m40905) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKeesport — Helen Richey(1909-1947)
In 1934 this McKeesport native became the 1st woman to pilot a commercial airliner. Discriminated against because she was a woman, she resigned within a year and went on to become the 1st woman licensed instructor by the Civil Aeronautics Authority; . . . — Map (db m47040) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKeesport — Kennedy-Nixon Taft-Hartley Debate
On April 21, 1947, John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon debated the Taft-Hartley Labor-Management Relations Act at the Penn-McKee Hotel. The first debate between the two House Labor Committee members was a precursor to the iconic Kennedy-Nixon . . . — Map (db m54922) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKeesport — National Tube Works
Incorporated 1869, the works began production here, 1872. By 1901, when it became a subsidiary of United States Steel, this was the world's largest pipe producer. Major advances in inspection techniques originated here. Plant operations ceased in . . . — Map (db m47041) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), McKeesport — Queen Aliquippa
An influential leader of the Seneca Nation in this area and ally of the British during the time of the French & Indian War. Encamped near here when George Washington paid respects to her, 1753. Died, 1754; according to legend, buried nearby. — Map (db m47042) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Monroeville — Forbes RoadBouquet's Breastworks
The last base of General Forbes' army. After crossing nearly “two hundred miles of wild and unknown country,” the army entered Fort Duquesne on November 25, 1758. — Map (db m40883) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Monroeville — William D. Boyce(1858-1929)
Inspired by the good turn of an English Scout, he brought the Scouting movement to the United States. His efforts led to the incorporation of Boy Scouts of America in Washington, D.C., on February 8, 1910, and to its chartering by Congress on June . . . — Map (db m40917) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Moon Township — Joshua Meeks(1731-1818)
A militia captain during the American Revolution and civic leader in the early republic, Meeks was a petitioner to create Allegheny County in 1787. While making his living as a farmer, he took up arms to defend western Pa. during conflict and war. . . . — Map (db m40221) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Moon Township — Mooncrest
Designed and built in 1943 by the federal government as defense worker housing. Mooncrest residents produced armor plate, munitions, and ships at the nearby Dravo Corporation during World War II. Operated by U.S. Air Force after 1945; homes sold to . . . — Map (db m40222) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Munhall — Homestead Strike Victims
In these two adjoining cemeteries are buried six of the seven Carnegie Steel Company workers killed during the “Battle of Homestead” on July 6, 1892. The graves of Peter Ferris, Henry Striegel, and Thomas Weldon are here in Saint Mary's . . . — Map (db m40891) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Neville Island — Dravo Corporation Shipyard
During World War II, Dravo's shipyard here was a leader in the manufacture of Landing Ship Tanks--LSTs--for the United States Navy. Dravo's over 16,000 workers produced a total of 145 LSTs. This and four other inland yards, all using techniques . . . — Map (db m40280) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), North Braddock — Braddock's Defeat
July 9, 1755, General Braddock's British forces en route to capture Fort Duquesne were ambushed and routed by French and Indians within present limits of Braddock and North Braddock, forcing retreat and failure of the expedition. — Map (db m59177) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), North Braddock — Braddock's Field
Known as the high tide of the Whiskey Rebellion, the rendezvous of militias from Pennsylvania's four western counties took place here, August 1-2, 1794. This was the largest armed resistance to the national government between the Revolutionary and . . . — Map (db m59178) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Penn Hills — Bouquet Camp
Bouquet Camp, supply base in the Forbes' campaign against the French holding Fort Duquesne in 1758, was near here. Named in honor of Colonel Bouquet, second-in-command and builder of Forbes Road. — Map (db m40879) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — 1st Drive-In Filling Station
At this site in Dec. 1913, Gulf Refining Co. opened the first drive-in facility designed and built to provide gasoline, oils, and lubricants to the motoring public. Its success led to construction of thousands of gas stations by different oil . . . — Map (db m40872) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Arsenal
Designed by Benjamin H. Latrobe and constructed in 1814. The Arsenal was used as a military garrison, in the manufacture and storing of supplies during the Civil War, Indian Wars, and Spanish American War. — Map (db m40874) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Cotton Mill Strikes
Major strikes by women cotton factory workers protesting 12-hour work-days occurred nearby in Allegheny City in 1845 and 1848. The strikes led to an 1848 state law limiting workdays to 10 hours and prohibiting children under twelve years of age from . . . — Map (db m40301) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny County
Formed September 24, 1788 out of Westmoreland and Washington counties. Named for the Allegheny River. County seat of Pittsburgh was laid out in 1764 and became a city in 1816. A center of the iron, steel and other industries and “Workshop of . . . — Map (db m40937) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Observatory
Part of the University of Pittsburgh. Chartered 1860; located here since 1912. At the original site nearby, Professor Samuel P. Langley conducted experiments that would lead to the first sustained, mechanically powered flight in 1896. — Map (db m42219) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Andrew Carnegie(1835-1919)
A poor Scottish immigrant, Carnegie became a millionaire steel magnate and proponent of the "Gospel of Wealth." Seeking to benefit society with his fortune, he built over 2,500 libraries and endowed institutions advancing education and peace. — Map (db m40875) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Art Blakey(1919-1990)
A founder of the “hard-bop” school of jazz, drummer Blakey grew up here, and got his start with Billy Eckstine's band. Blakey’s group, “The Jazz Messengers,” featured Hank Mobley, Freddie Hubbard, Horace Silver, and Wynton . . . — Map (db m48883) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — August Wilson(1945-2005)
Co-founder of Pittsburgh’s Black Horizon Theater and the author of a cycle of ten plays that have been hailed as a unique triumph in American literature. The plays cover each decade of the 20th century and most focus on African American life in the . . . — Map (db m48884) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Avery College
To the south, at Nash and Avery Streets, stood Avery College. Founded in 1849 by Charles Avery (1784-1858), Methodist lay preacher, philanthropist, abolitionist, to provide a classical education for Negroes. — Map (db m41046) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Barney Dreyfuss(1865-1932)
Owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates, 1900-1932, and legendary baseball leader influential in initiating the first modern World Series, 1903. He led Pirates to 6 National League and 2 World Series titles and was vital to building Forbes Field here, 1909. — Map (db m40876) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Bethel A.M.E. Church
Founded 1808 and known as the African Church. Chartered in 1818. Located nearby in early years, church was site of area's first school for colored children, 1831, and statewide civil rights convention, 1841. Congregation moved to Wylie Avenue, 1872; . . . — Map (db m42023) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Billy Eckstine(1914-1993)
African American jazz balladeer and bandleader whose innovative style and sponsorship of new talent helped revolutionize jazz in the 1940s. One of the nation's most popular vocalists, he had 11 gold records. He grew up in this house. — Map (db m54980) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Charles Martin Hall(1863-1914)
Hall's invention of electrolytic manufacture of aluminum was first applied to commercial production in 1888 by the Pittsburgh Reduction Company, which later became Alcoa. This process, developed here, made the commercial use of aluminum possible. — Map (db m73628) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Charles Taze Russell(1852-1916)
Pastor Russell formed a Bible study group in Allegheny City in the 1870's; developed it into the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society. It became the legal corporation for Jehovah's Witnesses. He lived in the Bible House nearby, 1894-1909; spoke here . . . — Map (db m40173) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Clinton Furnace
Pittsburgh’s first successful blast furnace for making pig iron. Operations began near here, 1859, using Connellsville coke as fuel. The furnace’s technology initiated a new era, leading to more advanced furnaces capable of producing huge amounts of . . . — Map (db m15138) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Crawford Grill
A center of Black social life where musicians such as Art Blakey, Mary Lou Williams, John Coltrane drew a racially mixed, international clientele. Here, Crawford Grill number 2, the second of three clubs opened 1943; was owned by William (Gus) . . . — Map (db m40882) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Daisy E. Lampkin
Outstanding as an NAACP organizer, Mrs. Lampkin was its National Field Secretary, 1935-47. President, Lucy Stone Civic League, 1915-65. A charter member, National Council of Negro Women, and Vice President, The Pittsburgh Courier. She lived here . . . — Map (db m52128) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Dorothy Mae Richardson1922-1991
Community activist who founded Neighborhood Housing Services in 1968 A model of resident-led community development, it inspired a national movement and led to the creation of NeighborWorks America. Richardson was a lifelong resident of Pittsburgh’s . . . — Map (db m141861) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Duquesne University
Founded by Holy Ghost Fathers from Germany in 1878. Incorporated 1882 as the Pittsburgh Catholic College. Named Duquesne University in 1911, this Catholic institution has served students of many faiths in liberal arts and professional studies. — Map (db m35486) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Eliza Furnace
James Laughlin, one of the founders of Jones & Laughlin, constructed the first Eliza Furnace, a stone blast furnace for smelting iron. Built in 1858 before the Civil War, Eliza marked the city's emerging iron and steel industry and was the first . . . — Map (db m100347) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First Aluminum Observatory Dome
On the hill just west of here, the first known astronomical observatory with an aluminum dome was erected in 1930. Designed & built by Pittsburgh amateur astronomers led by Leo J. Scanlon, the Valley View Observatory stood beside his Van Buren St. . . . — Map (db m35633) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First Mining of Pittsburgh Coal
This State's bituminous coal industry was born about 1760 on Coal Hill, now Mount Washington. Here the Pittsburgh coal bed was mined to supply Fort Pitt. This was eventually to be judged the most valuable individual mineral deposit in the United . . . — Map (db m48882) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First Professional Football Game
On November 12, 1892, at Recreation Park, a few blocks northwest of here, the Allegheny Athletic Association defeated the Pittsburgh Athletic Club, 4-0. The winning touchdown was scored by William "Pudge" Heffelfinger, who received $500 for playing. . . . — Map (db m39909) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First World Series
In October 1903, National League champion Pittsburgh played American League champion Boston in major league baseball's first modern World Series. Boston won the best-of-9 series, 5 games to 3; prominent players included Pittsburgh's Honus Wagner and . . . — Map (db m108595) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Forbes Field
The first all steel and concrete ballpark in the nation, Forbes Field was home to the Pirates, site of four World Series in 1909, 1925, 1927, and 1960 and two All-Star games. Hosted the Homestead Grays, Steelers, and Pitt Panthers, as well as . . . — Map (db m40877) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Fort Lafayette
Stood on this site. It was completed in 1792. Built to protect Pittsburgh against Indian attacks and to serve as a chief supply base for General Wayne's army from 1792-1794. Reactivated during the War of 1812. Site sold in 1813. — Map (db m40885) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Founding Convention of the AFL
On November 15, 1881, in nearby Turner Hall, a convention was held to form the organization which became the American Federation of Labor. Soon it was the nation's largest labor federation. It became part of the merged AFL-CIO in 1955. — Map (db m40940) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Founding Convention of the CIO
Near here on November 14, 1938, the first convention of the Congress of Industrial Organizations was held. 34 international unions were represented. Pittsburgh's Philip Murray was president from 1940-1952. — Map (db m40175) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Founding of the Ironworkers Union
On Feb. 4, 1896, sixteen delegates met at Moorheads Hall here to form the International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental, and Reinforcing Iron Workers. Active in the struggle for health and safety standards; by 1996 it had 140,000 . . . — Map (db m40936) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Frank E. Bolden(1912-2003)
Distinguished journalist, one of the first two African American accredited correspondents during World War II. He covered the “Buffalo Soldiers” and “Tuskegee Airmen,” reporting from India, Burma, and China. Later, City . . . — Map (db m40886) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Frank Vittor(1888-1968)
Pittsburgh sculptor whose subjects included American presidents and public figures such as Abraham Lincoln, Honus Wagner, and Mark Twain. He devoted his life to sculpting and teaching, and founded the city’s Society of Sculptors. An Italian . . . — Map (db m40888) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Greenlee Field
Located here from 1932 to 1938, this was the first African American owned stadium in the Negro Leagues. Home of Gus Greenlee's Pittsburgh Crawfords baseball team, 1935 Negro League champs. Players included Hall of Famers Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, . . . — Map (db m52129) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Henry Clay Frick(1849-1919)
Pittsburgh industrialist and philanthropist, Frick was instrumental in the organization of the coke and steel industries. His controversial management style while chairman of Carnegie Steel led to the bloody Homestead Strike in 1892. — Map (db m40939) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Henry J. Heinz(1844-1919)
From a start in 1869 selling bottled horseradish, Heinz built an international firm by 1886. He pioneered innovative advertising, quality control, and benevolent employee policies and transformed modern diets. — Map (db m40889) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Iron and Steel Workers
The shift to mass production in the steel industry brought thousands of new workers to Pittsburgh and forever changed the city. Between 1870 and 1900, Pittsburgh's population quadrupled. Through Ellis Island and from across the nation came the . . . — Map (db m100348) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — James Hay Reed
Born Sept. 10, 1853, in a house standing in this square. Distinguished as a lawyer. Counselor to a majority of the leaders of business who built the corporations which made Pittsburgh leader in American industry. — Map (db m40176) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Jane Holmes(1805-1885)
A distinguished philanthropist and humanitarian, she created and funded numerous social service agencies, including the Western Pennsylvania School for Blind Children, here. Her pioneering efforts in charitable giving have served those in need, . . . — Map (db m46526) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — John A. Roebling(1806-1869)
Here in 1846, Roebling built the first wire rope suspension bridge to carry a highway over the Monongahela River. He also designed a bridge across the Allegheny River, a railroad bridge at Niagara Falls, and the Brooklyn Bridge. — Map (db m42221) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — John M. Phillips(1861-1953)
Creator of the state game land system. Known as the Pennsylvania System, it was a model throughout the nation. Phillips helped establish the Pennsylvania Game Commission. A conservationist, industrialist, and engineer, he was among the first to . . . — Map (db m41297) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — John Scull(1765-1828)
Pioneering editor and publisher who issued first edition of Pittsburgh Gazette, 1786. First newspaper west of Alleghenies, it became the Post-Gazette, 1927. A Berks County native, he was active in Western Pennsylvania's civic affairs; home and print . . . — Map (db m42024) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — John T. Comès(1873-1922)
A nationally influential church architect and a prolific writer and lecturer. Comès was recognized for his philosophy regarding design and decoration of Catholic churches. A Pittsburgh resident, his commissions, including Saint Agnes here, are . . . — Map (db m97505) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Johnny Unitas(1933-2002)
Pittsburgh native and Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee, 1979. Here Unitas quarterbacked semi-pro Bloomfield Rams to a Steel Bowl Football Conference championship in 1955. Signed with the Baltimore Colts in 1956, leading them to an NFL championship . . . — Map (db m40892) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Jones and Laughlin
The partnership between Jones & Laughlin combined the skills of an older financial genius with those of a brilliant young entrepreneur. Before the Civil War, Jones established a rolling mill on the South Side, and Laughlin subsequently built an iron . . . — Map (db m100349) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Joshua (Josh) Gibson(1911-1947)
Hailed as Negro leagues' greatest slugger, he hit some 800 home runs in a baseball career that began here at Ammons Field in 1929. Played for Homestead Grays and Pittsburgh Crawfords, 1930-1946. Elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, '72. — Map (db m40893) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Kier Refinery
Using a five-barrel still, Samuel M. Kier erected on this site about 1854 the first commercial refinery to produce illuminating oil from petroleum. He used crude oil from salt wells at Tarentum. — Map (db m43399) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Lewis and Clark Expedition
On Aug. 31, 1803, Captain Meriwether Lewis launched a 50-foot “keeled boat” from Fort Fayette, 100 yards downriver. This marked the beginning of the 3-year expedition commissioned by President Jefferson, which opened America to westward . . . — Map (db m42181) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Lois Weber(1879-1939)
The first American woman film director, Weber wrote, directed, and acted in more than 200 films between 1908 and 1934. She addressed social issues like drug addiction, abortion, and poverty and helped pioneer techniques like the split screen. She . . . — Map (db m135725) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Martha Graham(1894-1991)
Born near here, dancer, choreographer, and teacher Martha Graham created a modern and unique movement style. In 1927, she founded her School of Contemporary Dance, revolutionizing the art of modern dance with innovative works such as . . . — Map (db m42222) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Martin R. Delany(1812-1885)
A promoter of African-American nationalism, Delany published a Black newspaper, The Mystery, at an office near here. He attended Harvard Medical School, practiced medicine in Pittsburgh, and was commissioned as a major in the Civil War. — Map (db m42025) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Mary Cassatt(1844-1926)
Born near here, Cassatt studied art in Europe. She lived in Paris, befriended by the Impressionist painter Degas. She was an innovative painter, printmaker, and etcher and is noted for her works depicting women and children. — Map (db m40177) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Mary Lou Williams(1910-1981)
Famed jazz composer and pianist. A child prodigy, she grew up in this city; went to Lincoln School here, 1919-1923. Played for Andy Kirk in 1930s; then arranged music for Duke Ellington and others. Major works include "Zodiac Suite" and "Mary Lou's . . . — Map (db m40898) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — McClurg Iron Foundry
Established in 1804, it was the first air foundry in Pittsburgh. During the War of 1812, it supplied cannons and ammunition, primarily destined for the fleet on Lake Erie. In 1835, the first locomotive steam engine made west of the Alleghenies was . . . — Map (db m94741) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Mercy Hospital
Founded in 1847 by the Sisters of Mercy as Pittsburgh's first hospital. Medical internships began in 1848, and the nursing school in 1893. This was the first Mercy hospital worldwide, caring for all patients, especially the community's poor. — Map (db m42223) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — National Negro Opera Company
Here at the Cardwell School of Music, this first national Black opera company was founded in 1941 by Mary Cardwell Dawson. Noted for its musical genius, it performed for 21 years in Pittsburgh, Washington, New York, and other cities. — Map (db m47046) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Pennsylvania Canal
The loading basin and western terminus of the State-built railroad, canal, and Portage over the Alleghenies uniting eastern and western Pennsylvania was here. Built in 1826-1834. In 1857 sold to the Pennsylvania R.R. — Map (db m42182) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Pittsburgh Glass Works
First glass factory in Pittsburgh was established on this site by James O'Hara and Isaac Craig in 1797. It manufactured bottles and window glass until the 1880s. A precursor of Pittsburgh's rise as the nation's largest glass producer. — Map (db m8688) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Pittsburgh Grease Plant
Long a major producer of lubricating grease for industry, transportation, and the military. In WW II, supplied 5,000,000 pounds of “Eisenhower grease,” vital to the war effort. Founded here in 1885, by Grant McCargo. After 1929, part of . . . — Map (db m40903) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company
First commercially successful U.S. plate glass maker, founded 1883 by John Ford, John Pitcairn and others. First plant was at Creighton; office was half a block east of here on Fourth Avenue. The company became PPG Industries in 1968. — Map (db m40935) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Polish Army
At hall on this site on April 3, 1917, a speech by I. J. Paderewski to delegates at convention of the Polish Falcons began the movement to recruit a Polish army in the United States to fight in Europe with Allies for creating an independent Poland. — Map (db m49104) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Radio Station KDKA
World's first commercial station began operating November 2, 1920, when KDKA reported Harding-Cox election returns from a makeshift studio at the East Pittsburgh Works of Westinghouse. Music, sports, talks, and special events were soon being . . . — Map (db m40337) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Railroad Strike of 1877
In July, unrest hit U.S. rail lines. Pennsylvania Railroad workers struck to resist wage and job cuts. Here, on July 21, militia fatally shot some 26 people. A battle followed; rail property was burned. The strike was finally broken by U.S. troops. — Map (db m40906) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Robert Lee Vann(1879-1940)
Publisher and editor of the Pittsburgh Courier, 1910-1940. He built it into a preeminent Black weekly, a strong voice for civil rights and economic empowerment. It had its headquarters here. Vann was special assistant to the United States . . . — Map (db m40887) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Salk Polio Vaccine
Pioneering research here at the University of Pittsburgh's Virus Research Laboratory from 1948 to 1955 produced the world's first polio vaccine. Led by Dr. Jonas Salk, researchers' innovations resulted in a breakthrough that was announced on April . . . — Map (db m40907) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Shadyside Iron Furnace
Built on lowlands here in 1792. Birth of the iron industry in the Pittsburgh region. It made stove and grate castings. Closed about a year later due to lack of ore and wood. — Map (db m46529) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Shannopin Town
Name of a Delaware Indian village that covered this site from about 1731 to the French occupation, 1754. It was the Allegheny River terminus of the Raystown Indian and Traders Path from Carlisle to the west. — Map (db m40908) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Simon Girty(1741-1818)
Born near Harrisburg, Girty crossed cultural boundaries between native and white societies. He was captured and adopted by Seneca Indians in 1756. Upon his release, he settled here with his family. He worked as an interpreter for the British and . . . — Map (db m108791) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Sisters of Mercy
Frances Warde and six companions from Carlow, Ireland, opened the first Mercy convent in the U.S. here. Founding date was December 21, 1843, and at once the sisters began to serve the city's poor, sick, and uneducated. From here, Mercy convents . . . — Map (db m40904) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Croatian Church, North Side
The first Croatian Catholic parish in America was established in 1894. The 1901 church was a center for spiritual and social Croatian culture. Croatian immigrants fled religious, economic, and political oppression to pursue new lives in Pittsburgh. . . . — Map (db m84528) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Standard Chemical Company
Founded here by brothers J.J. and Joseph Flannery in 1913, it was the first commercial producer of radium in the US. Radium production was the earliest nuclear industry. Discoverer Marie Curie visited the laboratory in 1921 and was presented with 1 . . . — Map (db m127226) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Station WQED
Television station, located here, opened April 1954, as first community-sponsored educational television station in America. In 1955 it was the first to telecast classes to elementary schools. — Map (db m40913) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Steamboat "New Orleans"
The first steam boat built west of the Alleghenies, the "New Orleans" was launched Oct. 15, 1811, near this site at Suke's Run. Pittsburgh became a center for steamboat construction and a gateway for 19th-century westward expansion. — Map (db m48357) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Stephen C. Foster
America's beloved composer of folk songs and ballads was born nearby on July 4, 1826, and lived in the Pittsburgh area most of his life. After achieving fame in writing songs for Christy's Minstrels, he gradually declined in health and died in New . . . — Map (db m40910) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Stephen C. Foster Memorial
Tribute to Pittsburgh's beloved writer of songs and ballads, including “Oh Suzanna,” “Old Folks at Home,” and “My Old Kentucky Home.” Born in 1826 and died in 1864. — Map (db m40912) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — The Pittsburgh Agreement
Signed here, on May 31, 1918, this document declared the intent of Czechs and Slovaks to form a new democratic nation in Europe, free from outside rule. Later that year, Thomas Garrigue Masaryk, an author of the agreement, became the 1st president . . . — Map (db m40902) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — The Pittsburgh Platform
This defining document of American Reform Judaism was signed by eighteen rabbis at the Concordia Club near here, November, 1885. The 8-point statement encouraged ecumenical dialogue, emphasized the progressive nature of Reform Judaism, and . . . — Map (db m41047) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Three Rivers Stadium
Opened on July 16, 1970. Home to the Pirates, who won two World Series, and the Steelers, who won four Super Bowl Championships, creating Pittsburgh's "City of Champions" identity. It was the site of Roberto Clemente's 3,000th hit, September 30, . . . — Map (db m39908) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Union Local 471 American Federation of Musicians
Organized in 1908, this local was one of the first African American musicians unions in Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh was at the forefront of the jazz world in the mid-20th century, and jazz greats Mary Lou Williams, Art Blakey, Ray Brown, and George . . . — Map (db m56705) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — United Steelworkers of America
In the Grant Building here on June 17, 1936, the Steel Workers Organizing Committee was founded. Renamed in 1942, the USWA became one of the world's largest unions, embracing over a million workers. Philip Murray was its first president. — Map (db m43401) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — University of Pittsburgh
First institution of higher education west of the Alleghenies and north of the Ohio River. Founded in 1787 as the Pittsburgh Academy, it became the Western University of Pennsylvania in 1819. Present name was adopted in 1908. — Map (db m40914) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — V.F.W.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars organized September 14-17, 1914, at the former Schenley Hotel near here. Veterans who had served in Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Philippines and China were among its founders. — Map (db m40915) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Victor Herbert(1859-1924)
Irish-born, educated in Europe as a cellist, Herbert conducted the Pittsburgh Orchestra here, 1898-1904. His compositions ranged from classical orchestral works to popular operettas including “Babes in Toyland” and “Naughty . . . — Map (db m40916) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Westinghouse Electric Corporation
Pioneer in development of alternating current, permitting transmission of electricity over long distances. Founded 1886 by George Westinghouse, it first made AC motors, generators, transformers in a plant at Garrison Place and Penn Avenue. — Map (db m43569) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Westinghouse Gas Wells
In 1884, George Westinghouse drilled a natural gas well here on his estate, Solitude, now Westinghouse Park. When gas was struck, an uncontrolled geyser erupted for a week. Within two years, Westinghouse obtained over 30 patents for the distribution . . . — Map (db m113322) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Westinghouse Railroad Air Brake
Invented by George Westinghouse in 1869, the air brake revolutionized railroad transportation. It made possible longer, heavier, and faster trains while improving safety. Modified versions are still in use today. Westinghouse Air Brake Co. was . . . — Map (db m47037) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — William "Billy" Strayhorn(1915-1967)
Jazz composer and arranger. Collaborator with Duke Ellington. Billy Strayhorn's "Take the A Train" became the Ellington orchestra's theme song. A graduate of Westinghouse High School, Strayhorn had his musical talents nurtured here. — Map (db m47045) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Work Accidents and the Law(1910)
The pioneering study of industrial conditions in Allegheny County by Crystal Eastman documented 526 workplace deaths in one year. A component of the land-mark Pittsburgh Survey, it led to industrial accident prevention programs and workers' . . . — Map (db m40934) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Rennerdale — William T. Kerr(1868-1953)
Known as “The Father of Flag Day,” he founded the American Flag Day Association and served as its president for fifty years. President Truman signed the Act of Congress that officially designated June 14 as Flag Day, with Kerr at his . . . — Map (db m40980) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Springdale — Carnegie Hero Fund Commission
Established April 15, 1904, by Andrew Carnegie. The Pittsburgh-based foundation awards the Carnegie Medal in the United States and Canada to persons who risk their lives to save others. Heroic acts that followed the January 25, 1904, explosion in . . . — Map (db m42649) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Springdale — Rachel Carson
Scientist, naturalist and writer. Born 1907 at 613 Marion Avenue; died 1964. Her 1951 book “The Sea Around Us” was followed in 1962 by “Silent Spring.” This book focused the nation's attention on the dangers of pesticides and . . . — Map (db m42648) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Swissvale — Jane Grey Swisshelm
Renowned editor, abolitionist, Civil War nurse, advocate of women's rights and temperance. Also author of "Half a Century, 1815-1865." Born Jane Grey Cannon at Pittsburgh December 6, 1815; died in old homestead on this site on July 22, 1884. — Map (db m45002) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Tarentum — Chartier's Old Town
An early Shawnee Indian village located at the site of present Tarentum. It was named for Pierre (Peter) Chartier, who had a trading post here from 1734 to 1743. He was the son of Martin Chartier, a French explorer. Several heavily traveled Indian . . . — Map (db m113320) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Elizabeth — Yohogania Courthouse
Governmental and judicial center for Yohogania, a county erected by Virginia in asserting its claim to western Pennsylvania from 1777 to 1780. The site is on the hilltop opposite. — Map (db m44986) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — Frederick Ingersoll(1874-1927)
A pioneer and leading visionary in the design of amusement rides and parks, his Figure-8 coasters and other inventions were found across the US. He launched his chain of brightly illuminated Luna Parks in Pittsburgh's Oakland neighborhood in 1905, . . . — Map (db m132835) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — Kennywood Park
A National Historic Landmark, designated 1987. In 1898 a picnic grove on Anthony Kenny's farm here was leased to the Monongahela Street Railway Company for an amusement park linked to Pittsburgh by its trolley line. Sold to private interests in . . . — Map (db m40896) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Wexford — Kuskusky Path
Hunters, traders, warriors, militia, war captives, and diplomats all used this early Native American path, which passed this location, for most of the 1700s as part of a regional network of trails. It provided a direct route between Fort . . . — Map (db m40355) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Wilkinsburg — Frank Conrad(1874-1941)
At his garage workshop here in 1919-1920, Conrad made broadcasts over his amateur station 8XK, which introduced the concept of commercial radio and led to the start of KDKA. For 37 years a Westinghouse engineer, he held over 200 patents. — Map (db m78313) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Brady's Bend — Brady's Bend Works
Located near this point, 1839-73. Organized as the Great Western and later known as the Brady's Bend Iron Company. One of that era's largest iron works, and first to make iron rails west of the Alleghenies. — Map (db m47561) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Cowansville — Saint Patrick's Church
A restored log church a few miles from here is a fine example of a pioneer place of worship. It memorializes the first Roman Catholic congregation in this region. — Map (db m47571) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Ford City — Pittsburgh Plate Glass Ford City Works
Among the largest and most productive plate glass factories in the world; opened 1887. At its peak, the plant employed more than 3,500 ethnically diverse workers, who passed through a specially-built tunnel under busy train tracks. Operations ended . . . — Map (db m47567) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Armstrong County
Formed March 12, 1800 out of Westmoreland, Allegheny, and Lycoming counties. Named for General John Armstrong, who had destroyed the Indian Village at Kittanning, 1756. Here, the county seat was laid out, 1803, and the "Daugherty Visible" typewriter . . . — Map (db m47558) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Blanket Hill
So named for the blankets left by the Armstrong expedition after destroying Kittanning. Here also was a stopping point of the troops on September 7, 1756 en route to attack the Indians. — Map (db m47559) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Kittanning
The most notable Delaware Indian village west of the Alleghenies, was situated here from about 1730 until destroyed by Armstrong's expedition in 1756. Its name means "great river", applying to the Ohio-Allegheny. — Map (db m47564) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Kittanning
The most notable Delaware Indian village west of the Alleghenies, was situated here from about 1730 until destroyed by Armstrong's expedition in 1756. Its name means "great river", applying to the Ohio-Allegheny. — Map (db m47565) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Leechburg — Pennsylvania Canal(Western Division)
A state-owned canal system, built 1826-34, to connect Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Erie. This 104-mile division ran from Johnstown to Pittsburgh and was part of the canal’s mainline. In 1827, Dam #1 was constructed at Leechburg, and it supplied the . . . — Map (db m114801) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Manorville — Fort Armstrong
Located on the nearby river bank, this outpost was built in June, 1779, and abandoned that autumn. It served the Brodhead expedition against the Senecas and was named for Maj. Gen. John Armstrong. — Map (db m100664) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Aliquippa — National Labor Relations Board versus Jones and Laughlin Supreme Court Ruling
In a landmark ruling on April 12, 1937, the United States Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the National Labor Relations Act in the case of National Labor Relations Board versus Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation The company had fired . . . — Map (db m40244) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ambridge — Harmony Society Cemetery1824-1951
On this site are buried 594 members and workers of the Harmony Society, the people of Old Economy. — Map (db m44499) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ambridge — Harmony Society Church
Constructed, 1828-1831, with bricks made by the Society members, this is the second building erected for worship. It is believed designed by Frederick Rapp. The spiritual life of the Society centered here. — Map (db m40236) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ambridge — Old Economy
Third and last home, 1825-1905, of the Harmony Society, religious community founded by George Rapp in 1805. — Map (db m40245) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ambridge — Old Economy Memorial
Maintained by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission as a State memorial to the Harmony Society Organized February 15, 1805 Dissolved December 15, 1905 These buildings erected 1824-1831, . . . — Map (db m40721) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Legionville
Gen. Anthony Wayne's army camped here Nov. 1792 to April 1793, preparing for the campaign which led to the Battle of Fallen Timbers with the Northwest Indians. — Map (db m56581) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Logstown
A short distance southeast of this spot, along the banks of the river, was situated the village of Logstown one of the largest Indian settlements on the upper Ohio. It was the scene of many important conferences between the French, the British and . . . — Map (db m56580) HM

2125 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1925
Paid Advertisement