Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Columbia, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
40th Parallel Marker image, Touch for more information
By Donald Ditko, January 3, 2009
40th Parallel Marker
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — 40th Parallel
Maryland's charter, granted in 1632, included old Philadelphia since it made the 40th parallel, which crosses the river near this point, her northern boundary. This charter conflicted with the charter given William Penn in 1681. After more than . . . — Map (db m15042) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Columbia
Originally Wright's Ferry, founded by John Wright in 1726. An early center for turnpike, canal, and railroad activity, at an important Susquehanna River crossing. First bridge built in 1812. — Map (db m5083) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Columbia
In 1726 Quaker John Wright built a log house in an area first granted to George Beale by William Penn 25 years earlier. Wright established a ferry at this natural crossing point on the Susquehanna in 1730. Originally known as Wright's Ferry, the . . . — Map (db m5762) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Columbia — Lincoln Highway
The country's first coast-to-coast highway was established in 1913 by the Lincoln Highway Association, largely by improving and linking existing roads between New York and San Francisco. The highway changed the way people traveled and the landscape . . . — Map (db m5761) HM

4 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
 
Paid Advertisement