Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Terrell, Texas Historical Markers

 
Ables Springs Marker image, Touch for more information
By Rheba Bybee, September 11, 2016
Ables Springs Marker
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8485 — Ables Springs
This small settlement, which lies in a region of natural springs, was named for an early Kaufman County family. James W. and Eliza (Godfrey) Ables moved to this area in 1853 and settled on land granted to his father, Ezekial Ables, in 1848. The . . . — Map (db m97838) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 9420 — Bethlehem Baptist Church
The oldest black Baptist congregation extant in Terrell, this church traces its history to 1877, when a group of worshipers led by missionary A.R. Griggs met under a brush arbor. With the Rev. P.W. Upshaw serving as first pastor, church members . . . — Map (db m97584) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 9425 — Carnegie Library Building
Completed in 1904, this library building is located on land owned in the 1890s by local publisher O. B. Colquitt, who later became the governor of Texas. It was designed by the Waco firm of Messer and Smith and features classical detailing. Through . . . — Map (db m97323) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 9426 — Carnegie Public Library
Opened 1904 through the efforts of local women's clubs. Building a gift of public benefactor Andrew Carnegie. Only library in Kaufman County; has been information center for students of five local colleges and a site of early civic functions. . . . — Map (db m97324) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8499 — Church of the Good Shepherd
Organized as mission by Rev. John Portmess, vicar, Trinity Sunday, 1877. First services were held at Terrell Academy, a private school founded by the vicar. In 1878 first church edifice was built on this site and consecrated. Parish was admitted to . . . — Map (db m97316) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8524 — Dr. L. E. Griffith Homeplace
Dr. L. E. Griffith Homeplace Built between 1853 & 1873 (prior to the town's incorporation) and unchanged since its construction, this plantation style raised cottage is typical of early Texas architecture. Unusual features include two front doors & . . . — Map (db m97910) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8506 — Dry Creek Cemetery
Named for a nearby ravine, this burial ground originally served the community of Turner's Point. Located on the stage road between Shreveport, Louisiana, and Dallas, the settlement was established by Elisha Turner in 1845. In the 1870s the town was . . . — Map (db m97850) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8509 — First Baptist Church of Terrell
The Rev. J.B. Daniel (d. 1884) organized this church in 1876 and served as its first pastor. The congregation started with 13 members, who met once a month for services. The first church building was a small frame structure erected on this block in . . . — Map (db m97325) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8511 — First Christian Church of Terrell
Organized in 1876 with 18 to 20 charter members, this church met in borrowed quarters until its first sanctuary was built on this site in 1881. That building had become inadequate by 1895, as the membership had grown tenfold, so a new structure was . . . — Map (db m97360) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8514 — First Presbyterian Church of Terrell
This congregation traces its history to two Presbyterian churches formed in the 1870s. A Cumberland Presbyterian Church, formerly located in the town of Lawrence, and the First Presbyterian Church in Terrell, also called the Old School Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m97945) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8516 — First United Methodist Church of Terrell
The Rev. J. W. Fields (1817-1886) organized this church in 1873, the same year the Texas & Pacific Railroad opened a station at the Terrell townsite. A frame church was built and the Sunday School started in 1877. In 1900, when the membership had . . . — Map (db m97947) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8546 — Frank Reaugh (December 29, 1860 - May 6, 1945)
Graphic historian of longhorn cattle, western trails, and range. Born in Illinois. Son of George W. and Clarinda Morgan Reaugh. In 1876 moved to Kaufman County, where on trail beside the family cotton farm was born his love for wild range . . . — Map (db m97588) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8498 — Gov. Oscar Branch Colquitt (1861-1940) This Block is the Former Homesite of
Twenty-fourth Governor of Texas (1911-1915). Known as "The Napoleon of Texas Politics" and "Little Oscar" because of his short stature, Colquitt was a strong and independent chief executive. His stump speeches were among the most effective of his . . . — Map (db m97315) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8501 — John H. Corley Home
Built 1896 by John Neilson, a former shipbuilder. Many of the building materials were shipped to Jefferson, Texas, by boat, then here by railroad. Elaborate Victorian architecture. Curly pine and cypress stairway with three landings has unusual . . . — Map (db m97948) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8531 — Lawrence Cemetery
In 1873, soon after the Texas and Pacific Railroad built a line through this area, a group of investors formed the Texas Colony Association with the goal of promoting a town. Named for one of the company directors, the town of Lawrence was . . . — Map (db m97635) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 17215 — Major W.F. Long (1894-1976)
Missouri native William Francis "Bill" Long was 17 when his family moved to Texas. During World War I, he was an aerial observer and pilot in the 24th Aero Squadron, First Army Observation Group. After the war, he established San Antonio Aviation . . . — Map (db m97636) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 16688 — No. 1 British Flying Training School
By 1939, the British government recognized that in the event of war with Germany, training facilities would need to be established overseas in Commonwealth countries, or in the U.S. at civilian schools similar to those already utilized by the (then) . . . — Map (db m97637) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8539 — Oakland Memorial Park
After Terrell was established as a railroad town in 1873, its citizens saw the need for a community burial ground. In 1878 John R. Terrell sold 7 acres of land for use as a cemetery, and the first burials were those of Peter Meinenger and Dr. G. W. . . . — Map (db m97640) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8540 — Poetry Baptist Church
The oldest Baptist church in Kaufman County, organized in 1855 by The Rev. J.J. Butler and The Rev. J.R. Briscoe. Original name was Salem Baptist Church, when the community was called Turner's Point. In 1870, the congregation helped organize the . . . — Map (db m97852) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8541 — Poetry Methodist Church
Originally called Turners Point, this community was founded in 1845 by Elisha Turner. In 1855 the Methodist congregation paid Zachariah Turner and his wife Martha $20 for the original church site. The Rev. J.W. Fields, a Methodist circuit rider . . . — Map (db m97853) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8542 — Porter Farms
Birthplace of agricultural (cooperative) extension, under lead of Dr. Seaman A. Knapp, U.S. Department of Agriculture. On Feb. 26, 1903, from places offered, a special committee of citizens selected farm of Mr. and Mrs. Walter C. Porter for first . . . — Map (db m97742) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8543 — Public Education in Terrell
On July 3, 1883, the citizens of Terrell voted overwhelmingly to establish and support a system of public schools. The first classes were held in September of that year in buildings that had previously been occupied by various private schools. In . . . — Map (db m98020) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8553 — Robert A. Terrell (February 22, 1820 - March 8, 1881)
A native of Tennessee, Robert Adams Terrell lived in Kentucky, Missouri, and Louisiana before coming to the Republic of Texas about 1840. A farmer and surveyor by trade, he was commissioned to locate headright land grants in several North Texas . . . — Map (db m97639) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8554 — Robert A. Terrell Home
This house replaced the 1845 log cabin of Robert A. Terrell (1820-1881), a pioneer settler for whom the town was named. Built for him in 1864, it is one of the few remaining octagon-shaped houses in Texas. Since 1897 it has been associated with a . . . — Map (db m97642) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8547 — Rockwall and Brin Church of Christ
Growing out of meetings held in members' homes, this church was organized in 1896. Services were held in Odd-Fellows Hall until 1900, when a small frame church was built on College Street. C. A. Norred became first full-time minister in 1914, the . . . — Map (db m97950) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8549 — Rose Hill Cemetery
Wild roses covered this hillside when settlers from Tennessee camped here in 1866. The land was first used as a burial site after a son of W. R. Dickey died on Aug. 14, 1866. Dr. James R. Stovall, leader of the pioneers, later donated the property. . . . — Map (db m97235) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 14636 — S. M. N. Marrs
On January 2, 1862, Starlin Marion Newberry Marrs was born in Gauley Bridge, Fayette County, Virginia (now West Virginia). At 16, he began teaching in rural schools, working in coal mines to make ends meet. He moved to Texas in 1881, teaching in . . . — Map (db m97361) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8551 — St. John Catholic Church
On oldest church site in Terrell, which became a town when Texas & Pacific Railroad was built to this point in 1873. The Rt. Rev. Claude-Marie Dubuis, Bishop of the Diocese, acquired the land on May 22, 1876. First church erected on site was . . . — Map (db m97317) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8555 — Terrell Elementary School
This location has been home to a school building for the students of the Terrell area since 1901. The site was selected to serve the children living north of the Texas and Pacific Railway tracks nearby. A two-story building named the North Primary . . . — Map (db m97362) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8556 — Terrell State Hospital
Authorized 1883 by Legislature of Texas. Designed by J. N. Preston and sons, Austin. Built by John M'Donald. Opened in 1885 under administration of Dr. D. R. Wallace, superintendent, who was an internationally recognized pioneer psychiatrist. . . . — Map (db m98115) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8557 — Terrell State Hospital Cemetery
Soon after the Terrell State Hospital opened in July 1885, a portion of the property was set aside for burial of patients who died while hospitalized. The first burial here occurred Oct. 22, 1885. The oldest gravestone is dated Jan. 19, 1888, but . . . — Map (db m98111) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8559 — Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot
Founded in 1873, the town of Terrell was located on the route of the Texas & Pacific Railroad. Robert A. Terrell, for whom the town was named, was a surveyor and landowner in Kaufman County. Portions of land were given to the Texas & Pacific by the . . . — Map (db m97643) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8558 — Texas Midland Railroad
A northeast line of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad was built through this area in 1882. In 1892 it was purchased by Mrs. Hetty Green and later reorganized as the Texas Midland Railroad. Under the innovative leadership of her son Edward H. R. . . . — Map (db m97644) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 9417 — The American National Bank of Terrell
The city of Terrell was founded in 1873. C. M. Bivens, John H. Corley, and F. A. Waters opened a private bank here in 1875. In 1878, Asa Holt replaced Waters as one of the owners. Later the enterprise became the Bivens and Corley Bank and moved to . . . — Map (db m98116) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8522 — The Old Graveyard (Pioneer Cemetery)
This small historic cemetery, also called the "Irvine Family Cemetery," predates the establishment of Terrell by more than 20 years. The first burial was that of Robert Alexander, nephew of W.D. Irvine, in 1851. Now located within the city limits, . . . — Map (db m97645) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8560 — The R. L. Warren House
Unusual mansion built 1904 by prominent residents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lee Warren. Architect was J. E. Flanders, Dallas; Keith & Co., Kansas City, stencilled interiors. House has 18 rooms, including a formal reception hall, two large drawing . . . — Map (db m97949) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8525 — The W. E. Henderson House
Built 1898 by William Ebenezer Henderson (1847-1944), who moved from Louisiana to Texas (1862) in an ox-drawn barouche. Going to work at 19 for a cattleman, he became in time a prosperous commission dealer — shipping cattle to St. Louis, where . . . — Map (db m97770) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 9424 — Victorian Residence, 1883
Built by third generation Texan, Matthew Cartwright (1855-1925), rancher, banker, civic leader; married Mary Cynthia Davenport. Had ten children. Entertained artists, statesmen in this house. One of first large homes in Terrell; enlarged 1893. . . . — Map (db m97955) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 13855 — Walter P. and Meck Allen House
In 1893, Rusk County native Walter Payne Allen (1870-1943) wed America "Meck" Peyroux Cartwright (1874-1959), a native of San Augustine. A banker, Walter was an organizer and later president of American National Bank. He served as city alderman and . . . — Map (db m97987) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 9423 — William Henry Burnett (1872 - 1944)
In the 1880s Presbyterian missionary Alexander R. Wilson began conducting school in the rural South Prong community of Ellis County. One of his pupils was a promising black farm boy named William Henry Burnett. Through Wilson's personal guidance, . . . — Map (db m97646) HM

40 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement