Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Clay County Florida Historical Markers

 
St. Margaret's Episcopal Church image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, February 20, 2018
St. Margaret's Episcopal Church
Florida (Clay County), Fleming Island — F-928 — St. Margaret's Episcopal Church and Cemetery
On Old Church Road 0.2 miles north of Augusta Drive, on the left when traveling north.
Hibernia Plantation was founded in 1790 by Irish immigrant George Fleming on a 1,000-acre grant from the Governor of Spanish East Florida. George died in 1821 and his son Lewis inherited Hibernia. Lewis had three children by his first wife. After . . . — Map (db m128318) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-874 — Camp Chowenwaw
Near Ball Road 0.3 miles west of Route 17, on the right when traveling west.
Created in 1932, Camp Chowenwaw (Cho’-wen-waw) derived its name from the Creek word for “sister.” Prominent Jacksonville resident Nancy Osborne, with support from local organizations such as the Rotary and Kiwanis clubs, led the effort . . . — Map (db m102456) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-1042 — Dr. Applegate House
On South Magnolia Avenue at Spring Street, on the left when traveling north on South Magnolia Avenue.
Originally from Indiana, Dr. Joseph W. Applegate moved to Florida after the Civil War to work with the Freedmen's Bureau at Magnolia Springs. He later partnered with John H. Harris to operate the Clarendon Hotel (c. 1871) in Green Cove Springs. By . . . — Map (db m135555) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-480 — Fort San Fransisco de Pupo
On Leonard C. Taylor Parkway (State Road 16), on the right when traveling east.
Pupo is first mentioned in 1716 as the place where the trail from the Franciscan Indian missions and the Apalachee (present-day Tallahassee) to St. Augustine crossed the river. The Spanish Government built the fort on the St. Johns River some time . . . — Map (db m62187) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — Green Cove Springs
On Walnut Street near St Johns Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
High ground along the river and a flowing mineral spring drew the first inhabitants to this area some 7000 years ago, but historic development dates from 1816 when George I. F. Clarke erected a sawmill in this vicinity under a Spanish land grant. . . . — Map (db m63712) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-783 — Hickory Grove Baptist Church and Cemetery
On Idlewild Avenue (Florida Route 16) 0.2 miles west of Sunset Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Hickory Grove Baptist Church was organized in 1863, and the church’s congregation first worshiped here in one of the earliest buildings constructed in Clay County. The church was named for a grove of hickory trees that grew here. The original . . . — Map (db m102455) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-276 — Old Clay County Courthouse
On Walnut Street near Brabantio Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
When Clay County was created in 1858 by the Florida Legislature, Middleburg was named as temporary county seat. As a result of an 1859 election, Whitesville (Webster), became the official county court site. Clay County's 1st courthouse was located . . . — Map (db m65638) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — Sharon Baptist ChurchOrganized November 15, 1885
On Sharron Road at Sweet Moody Road, on the left when traveling east on Sharron Road.
Organized by the Rev. James Hickey. Charter Members: Robert and Adeline Hogarth, Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Tolar, Mrs. Sarah Smith, Mrs. Mahoney, Mr. and Mrs. R.B. Sullivant, and Mrs. Celia Weeks. Property for church given by T.H. and C.B. Hayden. Cemetery . . . — Map (db m110522) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-399 — The Bellamy Road
On US 17 (County Road 15) at Bellamy Road, on the right when traveling south on US 17.
The Old Bellamy Road intersects Highway 17 near this point. In 1824, the First session of the 18th United States Congress appropriated $20,000.00 to develop a public road in the Territory of Florida between Pensacola and St. Augustine. It was to . . . — Map (db m62644) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-496 — The Village Improvement Association Woman's Club
On Palmetto Avenue near Palmer Street, on the right when traveling south.
On February 20, 1883, the Village Improvement Association (V.I.A.) of Green Cove Springs was organized. Meetings were held in members’ homes. Money was raised to beautify the town, most of which was used for boardwalks, and 70 feet of clay pavement . . . — Map (db m65099) HM
Florida (Clay County), Keystone Heights — F-1033 — Magnolia Lake State Park
On State Road 21 at Treat Road, on the right when traveling south on State Road 21.
Situated on the site of Camp Blanding, between Sandhill and Brooklyn lakes, are the remnants of Magnolia Lake State Park. A relic from the time of segregation, Magnolia Lake was built to provide separate facilities to serve African American . . . — Map (db m135964) HM
Florida (Clay County), Keystone Heights — F-398 — The Bellamy Road
On State Road 100 0.3 miles east of Swan Lake Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Old Bellamy Road intersects Highway 100 near this point. In 1824, the First session of the 18th United States Congress appropriated $20,000.00 to develop a public road in the Territory of Florida between Pensacola and St. Augustine. It was to . . . — Map (db m94394) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — F-58 — Fort Heilman
On Blanding Boulevard (Florida Route 21) at Scenic Drive, on the right when traveling north on Blanding Boulevard.
Fort Heilman, named after Brevet Lieutenant Colonel Julius F. Heilman, was built in the mid 1830´s at the spot where the north and south forks of Black Creek join. It was a temporary wooden stockade used during the First Seminole War as a . . . — Map (db m102605) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — F-840 — General Roy Stanley Geiger,United States Marine Corps
On Blanding Boulevard (Florida Route 21) west of Parsonage Street, on the right when traveling east.
Roy Stanley Geiger, the “Father of Marine Corps Aviation,” was born on January 25, 1885, in his family home on what is now the campus of Middleburg First Baptist Church. He served as a school teacher, principal, and lawyer. Geiger joined . . . — Map (db m102461) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — F-329 — Middleburg
On Main Street at Wharf Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Middleburg developed in the early 1800s as a transportation center linking the St. Johns River with the peninsular interior. Originally settled in the 1820s as Clark´s Ferry, a crossing on Black Creek, it became a major military entrepot during the . . . — Map (db m102459) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — F-310 — Middleburg Methodist Church
On Main Street at Butler Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Founded on or before July 27, 1828 by Isaac Boring, a Methodist Circuit Riding Preacher. First known as The Black Creek Methodist Church. This frontier Methodist society met in homes until the present church was built in 1847. In continuous use . . . — Map (db m102460) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — Thompson - Chalker Docks
On Main Street at Wharf Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Samuel B. Thompson owned and operated dock and warehouses at the foot of Thompson St. (now Wharf St., name changed about 1951). Thompson's warehouses were burned by Union soldiers in 1864.    After the Civil War, Albert S. Chalker operated . . . — Map (db m70285) HM
Florida (Clay County), Orange Park — F-798 — Orange Park
On Kingsley Avenue at Park Avenue (Route 17), on the right when traveling west on Kingsley Avenue.
Orange Park was the site of a cotton and citrus British plantation, Laurel Grove, which was established by William and Rebecca Pengree during Florida’s British Period (1763-1783). Following the American Revolution, Florida was returned to . . . — Map (db m102603) HM
Florida (Clay County), Orange Park — Torpedo Warfare on the St. Johns River
On Kingsley Avenue at River Road, in the median on Kingsley Avenue.
During the War Between the States, the St. Johns River was a highway to Florida's interior. Lacking warships to counter the Union Navy's control of the river, Confederate forces turned to the use of torpedoes (submerged naval mines). On March 30, . . . — Map (db m67084) HM
Florida (Clay County), Penney Farms — F-465 — Town of Penney Farms 1927
On State Road 16 just east of Polling Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
James Cash Penney (1876-1971), philanthropist and founder of J.C. Penney Department Stores, purchased 120,000 acres in Clay County and invited farmers to claim 40-acre tracts by clearing the land, building houses, growing crops and raising . . . — Map (db m101184) HM
Florida (Clay County), Starke — F-655 — Camp Blanding
On State Road 16 near Tallahassee Street, on the right when traveling east.
Camp Blanding, established as a National Guard base in 1939, is named for Major General Albert Blanding (1876-1970) who commanded a brigade in WWI, was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, and was Chief of the National Guard Bureau. He . . . — Map (db m70317) HM

21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement