Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Dauphin County Pennsylvania Historical Markers

276 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 276 are listed. Previous 200
 
Walnut Place Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Pfingsten, March 21, 2008
Walnut Place Marker
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Walnut Place
Located just across N. Fourth Street from Strawberry Square is Walnut Place, a slice of old downtown Harrisburg comprised of a series of late 19th and early 20th Century restored buildings and storefronts. Pictured here is the Rodearmel/German . . . — Map (db m6694) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Walnut Street Bridge
This bridge, completed in 1890, is the oldest surviving structure to have spanned the Susquehanna River and is one of the largest multi-span, truss bridges ever fabricated by the nationally significant Phoenix Bridge Company. It is also the oldest . . . — Map (db m6372) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Walnut Street Bridge
Oldest surviving bridge over the Susquehanna. Opened by the People's Bridge Co. in 1890. "Old Shakey," one of the last remaining multi-span Phoenix truss bridges, was a toll bridge until 1957. Flood damage, 1972, closed it to automobiles. Three of . . . — Map (db m7104) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts
Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, which opened September 9, 1999, is the successful culmination of decades worth of community effort to develop a major performing arts and science center in downtown Harrisburg. The resources which were . . . — Map (db m6654) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Wildwood Lake Sanctuary
Here at the base of Blue Mountain and within the City of Harrisburg's northern tier lies the 212-acre Wildwood Lake Sanctuary, the last vestige and magnificent preserve of the Susquehanna flood-plain wetlands which at one time were common prior to . . . — Map (db m7101) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Wildwood Park
Inspired by 'City Beautiful' advocates Horace McFarland and Mira Lloyd Dock, Wildwood Park opened its first trails in 1907. The largest of several Harrisburg parks designed in 1901 by leading horticulturist Warren Manning, it was part of a . . . — Map (db m7106) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — William Maclay
In the stone house opposite lived William Maclay, who as a member of the first U.S. Senate, wrote a famous Journal of its debates. A critic of Washington and Hamilton. Pioneer leader of Jeffersonian Democracy. — Map (db m6290) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — William Maclay Mansion
Situated across this street is the home of William Maclay (1737-1804); statesman, surveyor, lawyer, the Country's first U.S. Senator and son-in-law of John Harris Jr., the founder of Harrisburg. It was Maclay and Harris who laid out the plan of . . . — Map (db m6291) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — William Maclay, Esq.1736 - 1804
Buried here is the first U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania. In 1789, he and Robert Morris were the first from the Keystone State to be elected to the Senate of the United States. — Map (db m6828) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Women's World War I Memorial
In · commemoration · of the · services · and · sacrifices · of · the ·women · of · Harrisburg in · the · World · War — Map (db m137433) WM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Zembo Shrine Temple
The growth in the activities and membership of the Harrisburg Masonic Shriners had by the end of the 1920's, resulted in the demand for a grand new facility. The emergence of Italian Lake Park, William Penn High School and the establishment of . . . — Map (db m6482) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Zion Lutheran Church
"Tippecanoe and Tyler Too" was the familiar political slogan of the 1839 Presidential Campaign. The Campaign began when William Henry Harrison and John Tyler were nominated as the Whig candidates for U.S. President and Vice President in this church, . . . — Map (db m6662) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Heckton — Village of HecktonFormerly Althea Grove
Named for Dr. Lewis Heck - Born 1810 - Died 1890 - Reared in Shippensburg, Dr. Heck settled here in 1832. He practiced medicine and served as a Representative in the Pennsylvania General Assembly during the Civil War. He also operated a large steam . . . — Map (db m12507) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Chocolate Workers' Sit-Down Strike
Hershey's Chocolate Workers Local 1 (CIO) responded to a labor-management impasse on April 2, 1937 by initiating the first sit-down strike in Pennsylvania and in the confectionery industry. The strike was ended by strike-breaking violence and . . . — Map (db m7135) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Derry ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Founded in 1729; the first pastor, William Bertram, installed in 1732 by Donegal Presbytery. Its grove was patented to it by the sons of William Penn in 1741. The churchyard is the oldest pioneer graveyard in this region. — Map (db m122385) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Derry Church School (1844-1904)
Born in Derry Township, Milton S. Hershey (1857 - 1945) attended this one-room schoolhouse during the winter of 1863-1864. Built in 1844, this was the first of seven schools he attended before apprenticing to a Lancaster, PA. candy maker at age 14. . . . — Map (db m7139) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Derry Churchyard
Oldest pioneer graveyard in Dauphin County. Here, near Pastors William Bertram and John Roan, lie heroes of the French and Indian Wars and the Revolution; and Colonel John Rodgers, a signer of the Hanover Resolves in 1774. — Map (db m7157) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Derry Session House and Enclosure
Has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. c.1732 — Map (db m7156) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Hershey
Model industrial town and noted tourism destination established in 1903 and named for its founder, Milton S. Hershey (1857 - 1945). Hershey's companies developed housing, recreation, education, and cultural facilities, financial institutions, public . . . — Map (db m7134) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Kinderhaus “Climbing Tree”Chinese chestnut (Castanea molassima)
Though the Milton Hershey School campus is graced by a number of magnificent trees, one of the oldest and most meaningful to generations of HIS/MHS students might be this Chinese chestnut. Known informally as the “climbing tree) for . . . — Map (db m84238) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Kinderhaus Canna BedMilton Hershey School Heritage Center
Catherine Hershey loved cannas and the gardens at High Point included many examples. On the occasion of Fanny Hershey’s 80th birthday in 1915, Milton prepared a surprise birthday party for his mother at High Point. The event was big news in the . . . — Map (db m84227) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Milton Hershey SchoolHeritage Center at Kinderhaus
Records indicate that Isaac Hershey, great-grandfather of Milton Hershey, purchased the Kinderhaus property circa 1800. The building is the oldest structure on the Milton Hershey School campus and one of the oldest homes in Derry Township.

In . . . — Map (db m84236) HM

Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Milton S. Hershey(1857 - 1945)
Entrepreneur and philanthropist born here September 13, 1857. Founded Lancaster Caramel Company in 1886 and Hershey Chocolate Company in 1894; introduced milk chocolate in 1900. Developed Hershey as a model town and home of the world's largest . . . — Map (db m7137) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Milton S. Hershey1857-1945
Milton S. Hershey founded the world famous Hershey's Chocolate Company in 1903 and built a town around it for his employees, complete with homes, schools, and cultural and recreational opportunities. In 1907, Milton S.Hershey founded HERSHEYPARK . . . — Map (db m95209) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Pennsylvania State Police
First uniformed state police force of its kind in the nation, created by an Act of the General Assembly May 2, 1905, signed by Governor Samuel Pennypacker. The force was formed in response to concern over labor and capital unrest, especially the . . . — Map (db m31300) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — The Homestead
Milton S. Hershey was born here on September 13, 1857. The house was built by his great-grandfather, Isaac Hershey, in 1826. Milton S. Hershey purchased The Homestead in 1897 and lived there with his wife Catherine from 1905 to 1908. The building . . . — Map (db m7138) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — The M.S. Hershey Rose
In 1940, the American Rose Society honored Milton Hershey by naming a rose after him. Over the years, the number of these rose bushes has steadily declined to only a few remaining at the Gardens. This year, to commemorate Hershey Gardens’ 75th . . . — Map (db m106344) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Union Canal
At Union Deposit, just to the north, can be seen the remains of the canal. It united the Susquehanna at Middletown with the Schuylkill at Reading. Suggested by William Penn, the canal was surveyed 1762, in use by 1828, abandoned in 1885. — Map (db m7158) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Veterans Memorial

In commemoration of those who served our country — Map (db m108405) WM

Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Wildlife Habitat EnhancementMilton Hershey School Agricultural and Environmental Education
Native grass meadows are used as a constituent of the landscape on the campus of Milton Hershey School. Benefits of meadow installation:

• Meadows provide excellent habitat elements for a variety of wildlife species. In particular, ground . . . — Map (db m84240) HM

Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — Wilt Chamberlain's Scoring Record
In a basketball game played here on March 2, 1962, Philadelphia Warrior center Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points against the New York Knicks - a record for points scored by a single player in any National Basketball Association game. The Warriors . . . — Map (db m31299) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Highspire — Col. James Burd
Tinian, home of Col. Burd, is still standing on the opposite hill. Burd was road-builder of Braddock's expedition. French and Indian War commandant at Fort Augusta. Patriot and a soldier in the Revolution. — Map (db m11428) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Dr. William Henderson House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m137391) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Hotels of Hummelstown
Hotels and taverns have a long-standing presence in Hummelstown. For Hummelstown—a town along stagecoach routes, the Union Canal, railroads, and later, roads—the provision of facilities for travelers was an active business. The following . . . — Map (db m137405) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — HummelstownEarly History 1762-1815
Hummelstown was laid out in 1762 on the same tract originally patented by Robert Chambers in 1744 and deeded to Frederick and Rosina Hummel. At the same time, it was called Frederickstown. Hummel's original draft of Frederickstown shows the center . . . — Map (db m137396) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Hummelstown20th Century
These photos depict businesses and properties which will be familiar to many, despite changes in location and appearance. By 1950 the Borough's population had grown to 3,789 and is currently 3,981. Development in surrounding communities, . . . — Map (db m137398) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Hummelstown Brownstone Quarries
High quality brownstone was quarried near here 1863-1929, and sold across the nation as a preferred masonry material of builders. The Hummelstown Brownstone Company, founded by Allen Walton, employed immigrant skilled stonecutters and laborers in . . . — Map (db m7132) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Keystone Hotel1839 — The Keystone House —
Having served Hummelstown for over 150 years as a primary hostelry, the Keystone House lives on; albeit serving the town's citizenry in a different capacity. This historic landmark, built in 1839 by George Fox as a two and hone half story, . . . — Map (db m137389) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — On The Square
From the founding days, Hummelstown's Square has been the center of business and social activities as well as a visual focus and a transportation crossroads. These photos depict various time periods and features of the "Square" as well as some . . . — Map (db m137392) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Revolutionary War Gun Factory
During the British occupation of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania’s provisional government moved west and its official gun factory was established at Hummelstown. Secretly operating near here from 1777 to 1779, it mass-produced muskets and rifles for the . . . — Map (db m85728) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Square Project History
The 1997 Square Project is the culmination of nearly 20 years of discussions, studies, and efforts to improve traffic safety and pedestrian amenities at the center of town. As early as 1950, there were discussions at Borough Council meetings . . . — Map (db m137406) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — The Arch
The "Arch" was constructed by John Bieber in 1930, initially as an advertisement for Indian Echo Cave, a natural cavern located approximately ½ mile south of the Borough. In the photos, the arch is shown with its various modifications over the . . . — Map (db m137407) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — The Conestoga wagon
The Conestoga wagon was a sturdy wagon used by American pioneers. The wagon was named for the Conestoga Valley in Pennsylvania where it was first built during the early 1700's. Conestoga wagons carried most of the freight and people that moved . . . — Map (db m137413) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — The Developing Years1815-1890
This map, from a Dauphin County Atlas, depicts the development of Hummelstown as of 1875. Hummelstown was incorporated as a Borough in 1874. By this time, the population had grown to 2,900. The erection of bridges across the Swatora Creek, the . . . — Map (db m137397) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — The Fountain
The "Fountain" came into existence in the center of Hummelstown's Square in 1910 as a memorial to honor Henry Hershey and Nancy Landis Hershey. It was erected by their son, Henry Landis Hershey. It should be noted that by this time, piped water . . . — Map (db m137404) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — The Hummelstown Brownstone Company
Though located outside the Borough limits, the Hummelstown Brownstone Company contributed more than any other single industry to the growth of Hummelstown. The brownstone was quarried in a ridge in South Mountain, 2 ½ miles south of . . . — Map (db m137408) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — The Parish House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m137412) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Then And NowEast Main Street
Hummel Property 13-15 East Main Street Originally this was the home of Joseph Hummel and Elizabeth Leebrich, both from Hummelstown, Joseph being the grandson of founder Frederick Hummel. They moved into the house in 1817, . . . — Map (db m137395) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Then And NowWest Main Street
Nisley Property 13 West Main Street In this late 1800s photo, the Schaffer family is shown on the porch, gathered for the wedding of their daughter, Ethel. The 1830 date stone on the building and the Flemish bond brickwork . . . — Map (db m137409) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Then And NowThe Square — North Side
Clunie-Swartz Property 2-6 West Main Street This property is one of the oldest documented structures in Hummelstown. The western portion is a two-bay, two-and-one-half-story limestone building, and the eastern portion is a . . . — Map (db m137410) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hummelstown — Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
1753 — Earliest record of congregational meeting. 1756 — Land donated for church by Frederick & Rosina Hummel. May 16, 1766 — Log church building dedicated destroyed by fire Dec 1817. May & Sept. 1769 — Visits by Henry . . . — Map (db m137411) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Linglestown — Barnett's Fort
North at the head of Beaver Creek, Joseph Barnett's loghouse was a frontier refuge in 1756-63 against Indians raiding the frontier. His son William was stolen by Indians in 1756 and not recovered until 1763 by Col. Henry Bouquet. — Map (db m31296) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Linglestown — Patton's Fort
Nearby stood Patton's Fort, a station of the Paxton Rangers, who defended the gaps and farmsteads along the Blue Mountains from the Susquehanna River to Swatara Creek, near Indiantown, against Indian raids from 1756 to 1763. — Map (db m31295) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Lykens — GAR Building
Built 1852 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m9508) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — "Sant Peter's Kierch"
Cornerstone laid July 13, 1767, and dedicated in 1769 by Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, patriarch of American Lutheranism. Church erected on ground provided by George Fisher, the founder of Middletown, for annual rental of "one grain of wheat." — Map (db m7167) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — 28 East Main Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m137415) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — 30 East Main Street
. . . — Map (db m137416) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Alfred's Victorian Mansion
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m137417) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — 222 — B'Nai Jacob Synagogue
B'Nai Jacob Synagogue has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m137418) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Burd Tombs
Col. James Burd of "Tinian", able and gallant officer in the colonial wars, author of the Middletown Resolves for Independence, June 1774, and wife, Sarah Shippen, lie buried near the entrance of Middletown Cemetery. — Map (db m7163) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Camp George Gordon Meade
Covering three square miles, the former Camp Meade was situated a half mile to the northwest. Named for famed Civil War General, it was opened during the Spanish-American War and visited by President William McKinley on August 27, 1898. — Map (db m7164) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Middletown
The oldest town in Dauphin County; laid out in 1755 by George Fisher, Quaker. It was an important port at the junction of the Pennsylvania and Union Canals in the 19th century. Site of early flour, lumber, and iron industries. — Map (db m7165) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Nuclear Accident at Three Mile Island
On March 28, 1979, and for several days thereafter — as a result of technical malfunctions and human error — Three Mile Island's Unit 2 Nuclear Generating Station was the scene of the nation’s worst commercial nuclear accident. Radiation . . . — Map (db m900) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Revolutionary War Monument
Erected by Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the Swatara-Pine Ford Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution This tablet is in commemoration of the services of Revolutionary War soldiers buried at Middletown or immediate vicinity. This . . . — Map (db m7171) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Union Canal
This canal was operated from 1828-1884. It connected the Susquehanna at Middletown with the Schuylkill at Reading, following the Swatara and Tulpehocken Creeks. Much coal and iron ore were transported. Course of canal was just west of old mill race. — Map (db m7166) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Millersburg — Civil War Soldiers MonumentGovernors Island Cannon — Historic Millersburg —
The G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) Post 212 and the Millersburg Sentinel together raised the money to have a Civil War monument erected. The soldier and the base were quarried and cut in Italy. The soldier stands 6 feet and weighs 900 pounds. . . . — Map (db m12497) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Millersburg — Daniel Miller Memorial Fountain — Historic Millersburg —
After the 1907 Centennial celebration, the committee decided to use the money that was left after the bills were paid to erect a memorial to Daniel Miller, founder of Millersburg. After the design of a granite fountain was agreed upon, the committee . . . — Map (db m12500) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Millersburg — Millersburg Ferry
The only surviving ferry service across the Susquehanna began as early as 1825. Boats were poled by manpower until 1873, when the first paddlewheeler was acquired. In the 1920's, gasoline engines replaced steam power, and the paddlewheels were . . . — Map (db m12502) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Millersburg — Millersburg Ferry: A Journey Through Time

Early History

Maps from the 1760s show the existence of early ferries in the Millersburg area. Daniel Miller reserved ferry rights for himself when he founded the town in 1807. Then, in 1817 documents show that George Carson of . . . — Map (db m141058) HM

Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Millersburg — Millersburg Hotel

An Inn or Hotel has stood on this site since 1814, under various names. The present structure was built in 1898. The name Millersburg Hotel was adopted in 1932. — Map (db m141060) HM

Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Millersburg — The Music Pavilion / Gazebo — Historic Millersburg —
In July 1891, a group of men, realizing the need of the town, formed a committee to have a music stand or pavilion built for the community. The structure was to have several purposes after construction. It would be used by various musical . . . — Map (db m12501) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Millersburg — World War II MemorialThey Paid The Supreme Sacrifice

Blaine G. Walter, Jr., Guadalcanal, 1942 Richard P. McBride, At Sea, 1943 Robert K. Vogt, Germany, 1943 Carrie T. Sheetz, Anzio Beachhead, 1944 Harry E. Keel, Africa, 1944 Asa S. Romberger, Germany, 1944 Ernest N. Davidson, . . . — Map (db m141056) WM

Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Skyline View — Union Canal
At Union Deposit, five miles south, can be seen remains of this canal. It connected the Susquehanna at Middletown with the Schuylkill at Reading. Suggested by William Penn, the canal was surveyed in 1762. Completed in 1828; abandoned in 1885. — Map (db m31298) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Steelton — William Howard Day(1825 - 1900)
Abolitionist, minister, orator, editor, educator. Born in New York City; traveled in the U.S., Canada, and Britain on behalf of antislavery and free Blacks. General Secretary, A.M.E. Zion Church. Lived after 1870 in Harrisburg, where he edited the . . . — Map (db m7161) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Susquehanna Twp — Rockville Bridge
The longest stone masonry arch railroad bridge in the world, visible to the south, was built between 1900 and 1902. Named for the surrounding small settlement, it has forty-eight arches and a length of 3,820 feet. It is the third bridge constructed . . . — Map (db m85730) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Wiconisco — War Memorial

In memory of the men and women of Wiconisco Township who served in their country's wars

Forever Honored Forever Mourned ———————————— Dedicated to . . . — Map (db m141047) WM


276 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 276 were listed. Previous 200
Paid Advertisement