Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Notable Buildings Historical Markers

 
Marker detail: Barbeque Poster<br>(<i>October 3, 1904</i>) image, Touch for more information
Marker detail: Barbeque Poster
(October 3, 1904)
Colorado (Arapahoe County), Littleton — Arapahoe County Courthouse
In the early part of the 20th century, Denver served as both the state capital and the Arapahoe County seat. An amendment to the Colorado Constitution creating a new City and County of Denver was passed by Colorado voters in 1902. This left Arapahoe . . . — Map (db m130140) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Lafayette — City Hall201 East Simpson Street — Historic Lafayette Walking Tour —
1907 - 1985 Construction Complete February, 1907 Cost - $1555.00 — Map (db m120673) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Lafayette — 31 — George Bermont House203 East Cleveland Street
George Bermont came to Lafayette in 1890
and owned the store at 309 East Simpson. — Map (db m120679) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Lafayette — 2 — Joe Rodwick House103 East Simpson Street — Historic Lafayette Walking Tour —
One of the first homes built of locally manufactured brick — Map (db m120694) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Lafayette — 6 — Kettle Dry Goods Store208 East Simpson Street — Historic Lafayette Walking Tour —
Began business in 1909 as a cafe. Operated as a beauty shop from 1934 to 1992. — Map (db m120555) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Lafayette — Miner's Museum
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m120143) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Lafayette — 5 — Padfield House206 East Simpson Street — Historic Lafayette Walking Tour —
This home has the original gingerbread intact. — Map (db m120693) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Lafayette — 32 — Peltier House107 South Public Road — Historic Lafayette Walking Tour —
Peter Peltier built this house in 1900 and opened the Elkhorn Saloon at the north end of this same block — Map (db m120692) HM
Colorado (Chaffee County), Salida — The Salida Steam Plant
Electricity was introduced in Salida in 1887 when a group of local townsfolk created The Electric Illuminating Company. In 1892 the then-named Salida Light and Power Company built a 1000-kilowatt steam generating plant at this location on the banks . . . — Map (db m52403) HM
Colorado (Cheyenne County), Cheyenne Wells — Cheyenne County JailBuilt in 1894
Eastern Colorado Historical Society Museum Established 1962 Placed on the National Register of Historic Places June 16, 1988 — Map (db m77899) HM
Colorado (Clear Creek County), Idaho Springs — Idaho Springs Opera House1535 Miner Street
Mrs. Coddington owned a two-story brick double on the corner lot. It was occupied by W.K. Townsend (grocer) and Paul Lanius (hardware). Townsend imported glassware and crockery and was said to have the best selection of cigars in town. "Lets all . . . — Map (db m76856) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 9w — "The Bank that Looks Like a Bank"Wall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
In 1915, this was the Colorado National Banks slogan. Designed by W.E. and A.A. Fischer, the buildings bronze vault and door weighs 73,000 lbs with supports walls three-and-a-half inches thick. Inside the vaults, the doors alone weigh 62,000 . . . — Map (db m135451) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 18th St. Atrium / Littleton Creamery Beatrice Cold Storage Warehouse — Lower Downtown Walking Tour —
18th St. Atrium 1919 One of the last buildings constructed in "Warehouse Row," which stretched from Cherry Creek to the 1900 blocks of Wynkoop Street, 1621 18th Street originated as the warehouse and offices for Bourk, . . . — Map (db m97346) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Barteldes, Hartig Building1906 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour —
For more than a century, Denver's warehouse district has centered on Wynkoop. Stimulated by the arrival of the railroads in 1870 and the subsequent need for distribution services, an impressive array of three-to-five story warehouses, flat roofed . . . — Map (db m97395) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — C. S. Morey Mercantile Building1896 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour —
Constructed in 1896 for $75,000, the Morey Mercantile Building was the first notable warehouse to be built after the 1893 silver crash. Designed by Gove & Walsh, the structure included a spice grinding mill, roasting plant, extract laboratory and . . . — Map (db m97396) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Constitution Hall
The First National Bank of Denver made its first home here in 1866, with a building constructed for a cost of $45,000. The bank stayed at this location for 10 years, enlarging rooms, installing fancy gas lights, and in 1875, adding a third floor . . . — Map (db m27508) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 5w — D&F Tower and Skyline ParkWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
The D&F Tower at the corner of 16th and Arapahoe Streets is all that remains of the Daniels & Fisher department store that stood on this block. After its construction in 1911, the D&F Tower was for many years the tallest building in Denver. . . . — Map (db m135103) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Denver City Railway Building1883 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour —
Originally built as the stables for the Denver City Railway Company in 1883, this building was the birthplace of Denver's Public Transportation system. Horse drawn trolleys, soon replaced by one of America's most extensive cable car networks, . . . — Map (db m97394) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 7w — Don't PanicWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
The Silver Panic of 1893 brought 17th Street to her knees. Eventually she recovered; gold was the reason she survived. Golden riches arrived from the mines of Cripple Creek filling Denver's coffers. This Golden Era is symbolized by the gold . . . — Map (db m135105) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 12w — E is for EquitableWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Constructed in 1890-92, the Equitable building is on the National Register of Historic Places. It has long been home to many of Denver’s most prestigious law firms and financial institutions, and is generally regarded as the last great building . . . — Map (db m135472) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — General Electric Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m119861) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 21e — Menu for the Brown PalaceWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
. . . — Map (db m135543) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Merchandise Mart1930 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour —
Built in 1930-31 as a multi-tenant warehouse, 1863 Wazee Street is representative of the final building period in Lower Downtown until the boom of the 1980's. Architect Montana Fallis used the modernistic style to establish this building as Denver's . . . — Map (db m97348) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 12e — OriginsWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Clark, Gruber and Company printed gold notes as well as producing $2.50, $5 and $20 gold pieces. After private mints were outlawed in 1864, the federal government took over the job as the Denver Mint. Clark, Gruber and Co. evolved to . . . — Map (db m135483) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 8e — Out with the Old...Wall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
The Skyline Urban Renewal Project consisted of twenty blocks between Curtis Street and Larimar Street that were demolished in the late 1960s to “remove blight” and make way for the new and modern. There is a noticeable difference in . . . — Map (db m135445) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 10e — Solid InvestmentWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Charles Boettcher (1852-1948) was a German immigrant who played several key roles in the state’s economic development. He introduced the sugar beet industry to Colorado and established the Great Western Sugar Company. While building sugar beet . . . — Map (db m135478) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Spratlen-Anderson Building1906 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour —
On the original site of the Washington Hotel and Studebaker Buggy and Carriage House, this building was constructed in 1906 as a four-story warehouse for the Spratlen-Anderson Mercantile Co. Frank Edbrooke designed the original structure, as well as . . . — Map (db m97415) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — St. Elmo Hotel1896 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour —
The St. Elmo Hotel, constructed in 1896, joined a pantheon of grand and small hotels clustered in lower downtown to serve railroad travelers. In 1870, the first Denver Pacific locomotive pulled into Denver, and prosperity followed close on its . . . — Map (db m97391) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — The Buckhorn ExchangeEstablished 1893 — Denver’s Oldest Restaurant —
In November 1893, Henry H. “Shorty Scout” Zietz opened a saloon in this building, which was built about 1886 by Neef Brothers Brewery. Known as the Rio Grande Exchange, the saloon catered to the railroaders working across Osage Street at . . . — Map (db m51709) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — The Edbrooke Lofts
This site has been home to: 1880 • The Washington Hotel 1896 • Studebaker Buggy & Carriage Works 1902 • The Spratlen-Anderson Wholesale Grocery Company 1923 • Davis Brothers Drug Company 1957 • Lande Manufacturing 1990 • Edbrooke . . . — Map (db m97417) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — The House of Mirrors1942 Market Street
This building was constructed by madam Jennie Rogers in 1889 and became the classiest bordello in the Rocky Mountain West. Another famous pleasure queen, Mattie Silks, operated the business from 1911 until it was closed by federal edict in . . . — Map (db m96236) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — The Molly Brown House
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Building under the provisions of the historic site act of 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the State of Colorado United States Department . . . — Map (db m47192) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Union Station1880 / 1914 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour —
Denver's Union Station was constructed to consolidate rail activity in the City and to replace the four separate stations serving the boom town. When completed in 1890 in an Italianate style of Colorado Rhyolite with sandstone trim, the station . . . — Map (db m118592) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 18w — Wall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
17th Street earned this title long ago based on its status as the business and financial center of the Rocky Mountain Region. Many consider 17th Street the “right address” for business success. Denver’s major banking institutions, . . . — Map (db m135513) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Windsor Farm Dairy Building / The Crocker Cracker Factory — Lower Downtown Walking Tour —
Windsor Farm Dairy Building 1918 A building with a milky past, the Windsor Farm Dairy was built in 1918 for $30.000. A leading Denver architectural firm, Fisher & Fisher, designed this red brick structure with terra cotta . . . — Map (db m97358) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Castle Rock — City Hotel
This property has been designated as a Historic Landmark by the Castle Rock Historic Preservation Board City Hotel 1874 — Map (db m120797) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Castle Rock — Keystone Hotel
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Second plaque This property has been designated as a Historic . . . — Map (db m120800) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Castle Rock — Victoria’s House
This property has been designated as a Historic Landmark by the Castle Rock Historic Preservation Board Victoria's House 1889 — Map (db m120799) HM
Colorado (Douglas County), Parker — Hood House — Town of Parker Landmark —
In September of 1911, Fredrick B. Hood had come to Parker not only as a stock holder in the newly formed Parker State Bank, but to serve as the bank's cashier and manager as well. He purchased land on what was then called Rural Road (now Pikes Peak . . . — Map (db m97575) HM
Colorado (Elbert County), Elizabeth — Elizabeth Main Street
A visit to Elizabeth’s Main Street reveals some older building still used for day-to-day business, but it might surprise you to learn that many of these stores have been features of the Elizabeth scene for far more than a century! Start at the . . . — Map (db m45757) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — "The First National Bank Building"802 Grand Avenue
On March 15, 1887, excavation for a three-story brick and stone building began on lots at 802 Grand Avenue for the First National Bank building. At the time, The Glenwood Echo newspaper reported that the First National Bank offices would occupy the . . . — Map (db m120089) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Citizens National Bank Building1913
The Citizens National Bank Building stands as Glenwood Springs landmark. The Citizens Building and Improvement Company was founded in 1910. Construction of the Citizens National Bank Building began in January, 1913. The building was completed . . . — Map (db m120085) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Hotel Denver
In the late 1800's to the early 1900's, saloons, restaurants, and rooming houses occupied this block. In 1904, Frank Walter constructed two buildings - one three-story - in the block. Walter leased the ground floor of the three-story building (406 . . . — Map (db m120084) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Hughes-Anderson Building
The commercial building at 824-826 Grand Avenue was constructed in 1888. The brick building was initially occupied by a hardware store and an agricultural implement shop on the first floor, furnished rooms on the second floor, and a tin shop in the . . . — Map (db m120102) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — I.O.O.F. Building
Sovereign Grand Lodge of Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F) working hard to establish their own permanent meeting place. After being in many different locations in the downtown, the began construction of their new lodge in 1898. The . . . — Map (db m120086) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — McCoy-Armory Building
This current address has incorporated numbers 827 and 829 Grand Avenue. The earliest maps show buildings on this site since 1888, but the year 1913 has J.F. McCoy constructing his building. In 1917, the State of Colorado purchased the building for . . . — Map (db m120087) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Rex Hotel
This site - Lot 9 Block 45 - housed what in later years would be known as the Rex Hotel. Glenwood Springs founder Isaac Cooper first owned the property, but between 1887 to 1892, ownership changed hands several times. During this time, several small . . . — Map (db m120082) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Star Hotel
In 1906 Henry Bosco had a whole liquor and Coca-Cola bottling business operating in the basement of a saloon at 414 Seventh Street. Within a few years, Henry purchased the building that housed his business and the adjacent lot to the east. In 1915, . . . — Map (db m120083) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — 4 — Barry Building — New Castle Museum on the Street —
In 1893, this two-story building served as a general merchandise establishment. Daniel Barry operated his business here until 1897. Cohn, Doll & Co (later Doll Bros. and Smith) operated a dry goods and general merchandise store here, followed by the . . . — Map (db m120103) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — 2 — Exchange Stables — New Castle Museum on the Street —
In the early days of New Castle, horses were at the center of all activity. The building before you was where that activity happened. C.H. Noren & Son, who rented horses and rigs for hauling, operated the livery business. Later Levi Strauss and A . . . — Map (db m120105) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — 5 — Odd Fellows Hall
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows insignia still appears on the façade of this building, built in 1990. As with many early buildings, the ground floor was used for commercial purposes. Here the ground floor was occupied by a saloon, later by J.W. . . . — Map (db m120119) HM
Colorado (Gilpin County), Black Hawk — Gilpin Hotel
One of Black Hawk’s newer buildings, the 1896 structure was built by Julius Kline (or Klein), replacing an earlier wood building that was the site of Black Hawk’s first school. It operated sporadically throughout the 20th century under a variety of . . . — Map (db m51882) HM
Colorado (Gilpin County), Central City — Central City Opera
The Central City Opera House was built in 1878 by Welsh and Cornish miners. This National Historic Landmark, centerpiece of the historic gold mining town of Central City, has hosted performances of the nation’s fifth-oldest opera company since 1932. . . . — Map (db m51831) HM
Colorado (Gilpin County), Central City — The Ignatz Meyer Building
The major fire in Central City on May 21, 1874 nearly wiped out the commercial district of the city. The new building was completed by November 1st of the same year and B.F. Pease operated a dry goods store at the location for nearly 10 years. For a . . . — Map (db m51834) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Cairns-Humphrey Store
In 1881 James Cairns built his first store here to serve the miners. In 1908 he replaced it with a better building, purchased by Matilda Humphrey in 1924. It survives as the central part of the Humphrey store. The small residence was Cairns interim . . . — Map (db m129850) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Grand Lake LodgeBuilt 1919
Grand Lake Lodge Built 1919 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m129878) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Kauffman House Museum
Ezra Kauffman first came to the area as a hunting guide and miner in 1877. After the mines closed, he raised his family in the community he loved. He completed this hotel in 1892 and operated it until his death in 1920. The Kauffman family continued . . . — Map (db m129856) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Public Square
When the town of Grand Lake was platted in 1881, Grand Avenue was designed to be 100 feet wide. Although traffic congestion was not a problem, extra space was allowed for rodeos and horse races. The Public Square was often used for community . . . — Map (db m129840) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Rapids Lodge Historic Site
Rapids Lodge is one of three tourist hotels built between 1900 and 1920. The other two burned. Laps Ish, the owner and builder, sawed all lumber of lodgepole pine. Until about 1935 the lights and some heat for the hotel came from his own water . . . — Map (db m129852) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — The Bay Window Cottage
The Smith Eslick Bay Window Cottage was built by the Eslick's youngest child, Loren, in 1933 when he was 26 years old. It was intended to be a check-in and store for the guests staying at the Cottage Court and other Smith and Eslick family cabins . . . — Map (db m129884) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — 1115 Washington AvenueCity of Golden, Downtown Landmark, Historic Preservation Board
The Colorado Transcript, Colorado’s second oldest newspaper, began here on November 24, 1866. General Gorge West, a Civil War veteran, and one of the founders of Golden and the Colorado School of Mines, started the paper. Constructed in 1870, it is . . . — Map (db m49892) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — 5JF562 — 1211 Washington AvenueCity of Golden, Downtown Landmark, Historic Preservation Board
The original building was constructed in 1870 by John H. Parsons and William H. Curry as the City Restaurant Hotel for an Italian immigrant Charles Garbarino. It originally had arched windows and doors on both floors and an ornate wood balcony used . . . — Map (db m49890) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — 700 Tenth StreetGolden High School
City of Golden Downtown Landmark The Golden High School was dedicated in March 1924. Built on the site of the Eagle Corral and Stables, the school was hailed as the ultimate in high school construction. Designed by renowned Denver architect . . . — Map (db m50592) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — 922 Washington AvenueStewart Block Building
City of Golden Downtown Landmark The Stewart Block building was completed in 1892. It served as a grocery for 52 years under a variety of owners including Caleb E. Parfet, Elvyn E. Stewart, and Leonard Vogel. The motto of the original building . . . — Map (db m50593) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Colorado National Guard Armory
To the south on Arapahoe Street is a distinctive building made of river rock. The Armory was completed in 1913 to house Company A Engineers of the Colorado National Guard, comprised of Colorado School of Mines students. Designer James H. Gow, who . . . — Map (db m111389) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Lariat Loop Byway: Buffalo Bill Museum
Lariat Loop •The Lariat Loop is a scenic circle of natural splendors, historic and cultural treasures and recreation pleasures. See spectacular mountain scenery and enjoy a vintage auto tour in foothills canyons. Welcome to 40 miles of . . . — Map (db m46567) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Rock Flour Millstone
. . . — Map (db m127441) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Territorial Capital of Colorado1862 to 1867
This Tablet is the property of the State of Colorado ———— From 1862 to 1867 Golden was the Territorial Capital of Colorado Legislative sessions were held in this building (erected by W.A.H. . . . — Map (db m39337) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — The Boston Company
Seven members of the Boston Mechanics’ Mining & Trading Company, namely George West (President), Walter Pollard, James MacDonald (Business manager), Mark Leonardo Blunt (later Postmaster), James McIntyre, Lawrence Panton, and Joseph T. Bird arrived . . . — Map (db m50180) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Morrison — Summer White House
In 1911, John Brisben Walker, owner of the property that is now Mount Falcon Park, promoted the idea of a Summer White House. The cornerstone of Colorado yule marble was laid on July 4, 1914 on this proposed site for the building. What you see here . . . — Map (db m141085) HM
Colorado (Kiowa County), Eads — Unity Lodge No. 142, A.F. & A.M.Works Progress Administration
. . . — Map (db m118240) HM
Colorado (La Plata County), Durango — The Newman BlockHistoric site
Built in 1892 by Senator Charles Newman, pioneer merchant, miner and legislator. He maintained his office here until his death in 1906. Major Daniel L. Sheets, cattleman and member of Colorado’s second state legislature, operated the U.S. Land . . . — Map (db m51814) HM
Colorado (Lake County), Leadville — 67 — Healy HouseA Regional State Museum — Property of the State of Colorado —
Erected 1878, by August R. Meyer, builder of Leadville’s first reduction works. Given to Leadville Association, 1936, by Nellie Healy, agent for the heirs of Daniel Healy. Presented to the State of Colorado by said association, 1947, and . . . — Map (db m51812) HM
Colorado (Lake County), Leadville — Temple Israel: A Frontier Synagogue and Museum
The Jewish Settlement

The group of Jews in Leadville traced their roots to Germany. They tended to be assimilationists and practiced Reform Judaism, including worship services largely in English, women as members of the congregation, and . . . — Map (db m135817) HM

Colorado (Larimer County), Fort Collins — Blunck House
Blunck House In 1905, the newly remodeled Northern Hotel was opened by a group of local investors. H.L. Daily found sucess in that venture, and prosperity led him to have this stately family home built in 1906. The house was . . . — Map (db m52243) HM
Colorado (Larimer County), Fort Collins — Carnegie Library
The building that today houses the Fort Collins Museum was constructed in 1903, as a public library. Steel magnate Andrew Carnegie provided $12,000 in funds for the construction. Opened to the public on August 24, 1904, the Carnegie Library . . . — Map (db m51350) HM
Colorado (Larimer County), Fort Collins — The William C. Stover House
Certificate of Recognition Let It Be Known to All Persons That "The William C. Stover House" at 503 Remington Street Is Hereby Officially Accepted As A Local Historic Landmark June 4, 1996 — Map (db m103934) HM
Colorado (Larimer County), Loveland — Lone Tree School
  Built in 1883 on land donated by B.R. Bonnell to serve families southwest of Loveland. Named for the single Hackberry tree growing nearby.   The school was closed in 1920 and was used as a community center until about 1940, then for grain . . . — Map (db m89282) HM
Colorado (Las Animas County), Trinidad — Trinidad's First City Building
The brick and stone two-story building with a cupola, directly across the street, was Trinidad's first city building, serving not only as Firehouse No. 1 but also as the city hall, police department, and jail. Until it was built in 1888, city . . . — Map (db m105536) HM
Colorado (Lincoln County), Hugo — Hugo Municipal PoolWorks Progress Administration — 1938 —
. . . — Map (db m118241) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 12 — Benge’s Shoe Storec. 1911
Benge's store is the oldest shoe store in the state, possibly the oldest shoe store west of the Mississippi River. Founded in October of 1911, three generations of the Benge family have operated the business. Founder Bertrand Benge moved from . . . — Map (db m120051) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 2 — Grand Junction Elks Lodge #575c. 1900
Lodge #575 was founded in 1900 by local drug clerk, 32-year-old J. Morrison Wohlfort. Before the present Lodge home was built, the founding Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks met in the I.O.O.F Hall at 454 Main Street. Lodge #575 was . . . — Map (db m120078) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — Grand Junction News Established
Upon this site in October 1882 a vital cultural influence in the town of Grand Junction was established by the printing of the first newspaper ~ The Grand Junction News Edwin Price, Editor — Map (db m120052) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 13 — Majestic/Mesa Theaterc. 1894
This building originally housed the Mesa Opera Rink, which opened in 1885. It offered a 300-seat playhouse for live theater, musical, and vaudeville acts. Ballroom dancing was on the large wooden "Rink" floor. In 1907, the front of the building was . . . — Map (db m120045) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 9 — Mesa Drug/City Marketc. 1924
The Prinster family opened the first City Market Store in the back of this location with a storefront facing Fourth Street in 1924. By 1940, the Prinster Brothers built western Colorado's first supermarket one block to the north of this location. . . . — Map (db m120073) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 8 — Sampliner’s Dry Goodsc. 1890
In the 1890s, Joseph and Albert Sampliner started a small business selling men's fine clothing from a pushcart. The Sampliner cousins purchased their goods from bankrupt dry good stores in the Red Mountain mining district. The Sampliners . . . — Map (db m120071) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 5 — St. Regis Hotelc. 1892 — National Historic Register —
An early stagecoach stop, The Grand Hotel, welcomed visitors with a tin-faced, two-story building, surrounded by shade trees, wooden sidewalks, and spacious lobby. In 1904 the building was purchased from William and Allie Neff and Anna Scott by . . . — Map (db m120050) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 21 — The Fair Buildingc. 1904 — City Historic Register —
William J. Moyer was one of Mesa County's leading businessmen and philanthropists. He arrived in Grand Junction in 1890 and opened the original Fair Store across the street in a room measuring 12 ft. x 20 ft. with $700 in stock. In 1904, Moyer . . . — Map (db m120055) HM
Colorado (Montezuma County), Mancos — The Columbine BarEst. 1910
As legend has it, The Columbine Bar was established in 1910, and continues to be one of the oldest operating bars in Colorado. In 1948 it was described in the Mancos Times as "an old bar run by old timers." It has always had a rather notorious . . . — Map (db m121092) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120137) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120138) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120139) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120141) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120142) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120144) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120146) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120147) HM
Colorado (Summit County), Breckenridge — William Harrison Briggle House — Centennial 1880 - 1980 —
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places William Harrison Briggle House Built in 1896. A Summit Historical Society Property — Map (db m57952) HM
Colorado (Summit County), Frisco — Foote's Rest
This property once served as Frisco’s Post Office, General Store, and Gas Station. The main building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, originally consisted of a one-room, wood-plank cabin, still standing today attached to the . . . — Map (db m107845) HM
Colorado (Teller County), Cripple Creek — “The Old Homestead House” of Myers Avenue
The town site of Cripple Creek was laid out shortly after the discovery of gold by Horace Bennett, a Denver realtor, with his partner, Julius Myers, naming the street after each of them. Bennett Avenue became the main street of the town and of . . . — Map (db m51827) HM
Colorado (Teller County), Cripple Creek — Fairley Bros. & Lampman Building1896
Furniture retailers C.L. and D.B. Fairley joined undertaker Oscar Lampman to finance the construction of this building. The Fairleys opened a branch of their Colorado Springs store here; Lampman acted primarily as an investor. The Central Drug . . . — Map (db m51823) HM
Colorado (Teller County), Cripple Creek — Old Homestead Parlour House1896
Situated just below Cripple Creek’s fashionable business district, the Old Homestead anchored Myers Avenue’s “entertainment trade.” On a street flanked by saloons and one-room “cribs” where individual “ladies” . . . — Map (db m51824) HM
Colorado (Teller County), Victor — North 3rd Street
On this corner, an electric street car (the Low Line) turned off Victor Avenue onto N 3rd Street to continue its trip to the Independence Mine and around Battle Mountain. In the early 1900s, the miners commuted to work via these streetcars for a . . . — Map (db m46796) HM
Colorado (Teller County), Victor — North 4th Street
Original Hotel Victor The Original Hotel Victor was built by the Woods family in 1894 at the corner of 4th and Victor Avenue – where JET Service now stands. While digging the hotel foundation workmen discovered a rich gold bearing vein . . . — Map (db m46759) HM

104 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020