Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Atascosa County Texas Historical Markers

 
Chilipitin Cemetery Marker image, Touch for more information
By John A Hensarling, October 26, 2011
Chilipitin Cemetery Marker
Texas (Atascosa County), Charlotte — 13619 — Chilipitin Cemetery
Early settlers Dario and Manuelita Douglas Tober acquired land here in 1877 and later set aside this site for a family cemetery. The oldest marked grave, that of teenager Nieves Douglas Tober, dates to 1903. The Tober family deeded the original . . . — Map (db m56664) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Fashing — 1576 — Town of Fashing
Near the Old San Patricio Trail, leading from San Antonio to McMullen and McGloin colony, in area of Gulf of Mexico. In this vicinity were stage stops at Belle Branch, Rock Spring, Rountree's, and Tordilla. Land was part of the Butler, Hickok, Tom . . . — Map (db m56591) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 223 — Atascosa County
As early as 1722 El Camino Real (The King's Highway) from the Rio Grande to San Antonio was well established in this area. The Spanish word "Atascosa," denoting boggy ground that hindered travel, gave region its name. The county was created in 1856 . . . — Map (db m56663) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 224 — Atascosa County Courthouse
Atascosa County was created from Bexar County in 1856. The first county seat was at Navatasco, on land donated by Jose Antonio Navarro, and the county's first courthouse was a log cabin. The county seat was moved to Pleasanton in 1858, and a frame . . . — Map (db m56584) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 225 — Atascosa County Courthouse
This log cabin is a replica of first courthouse built 1856 near Amphion (Navatasco) 9 miles to the northwest, on site given by Jose Antonio Navarro out of his 1828 grant from Coahuila and Texas. A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, he . . . — Map (db m56636) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 15743 — Jourdanton
In 1909, Jourdan Campbell (1867-1938) and Theodore H. Zanderson (1854-1927) established the Jourdanton community, named for Campbell, on the eastern edge of their Toby Ranch property. Jourdan Campbell was born in Atascosa County, and was a merchant . . . — Map (db m56595) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 15165 — Jourdanton City Cemetery
T.H. Zanderson and city namesake Jourdan Campbell bought the 40,000-acre Toby Ranch in 1907 and laid out the town of Jourdanton. The original plat included two blocks designated for use as a cemetery. The Artesian Belt Railroad built through the . . . — Map (db m56665) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 15704 — Jourdanton United Methodist Church
The Methodist church in Jourdanton formally organized in 1909, the same year that the City of Jourdanton was founded. The church began as the Jourdanton Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and was a member of the Uvalde District in the West Texas . . . — Map (db m56666) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 15990 — Martin Abstract Company
By the early 20th century the ranching industry that spurred the growth of Atascosa County had begun to wane, with many large ranches split into smaller ranches, farms and town lots. George M. Martin realized the importance of a company to research . . . — Map (db m56667) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 3687 — Old Atascosa County Jail
County officials rented a small Jourdanton house for a jail in 1911 after the county seat was moved here from Pleasanton in 1910. A proposal to build a new jail with cells from the old Pleasanton structure was rejected and this reinforced-concrete, . . . — Map (db m56585) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 15835 — Ralph Roy Smith
R. R. "Railroad" Smith (1880-1944) was born in Gonzales County to Alexander Frohock and Mary McGill (Mathews) Smith. Around 1907, Smith moved to Atascosa County where he opened up a law practice and entered into the newspaper business with a cousin. . . . — Map (db m56668) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 15888 — St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church
St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church has served this area of Atascosa County since 1918. Around that time, the now-dispersed farming settlement of Dobrowolski was growing, and the mostly Lutheran population needed a place of worship. At first, the . . . — Map (db m56670) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Leming — 13310 — Battle of Medina
Texas' bloodiest military engagement -- the Battle of Medina -- may have taken place in this general vicinity in 1813. The early 19th century was a time of political upheaval, and in 1812, while the U.S. was at war with England, Spain faced revolts . . . — Map (db m56597) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Leming — 13779 — Brite Cemetery
Brite Cemetery has served citizens of Atascosa County since the 1850s. It was formally set aside when Thomas Ransdele Brite passed away in 1859, though the earliest marked burial is that of his infant son, Dan (d. 1854). Thomas Brite was born in . . . — Map (db m56588) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Leming — 4681 — Shiloh Cemetery
The first burial in this graveyard, that of fourteen-year-old John Uzell, took place in 1857. The land at that time belonged to Isaac H. Cavender, Sr., who was related to Uzell. Cavender allowed other burials on his property and soon the graveyard . . . — Map (db m56610) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Lytle — 61 — Atascosa Lodge No. 379, A.F. and A.M.
Organized by eleven Master Masons in Benton City in 1872 and chartered June 9, 1873, by Grand Lodge of Texas. First hall, erected of stone in 1876, provided space for public school. The lodge, which has furnished social and cultural leadership to . . . — Map (db m56586) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Lytle — 373 — Benton City Cemetery(Established 1870)
First public cemetery in this community, which was famous in early days for its outstanding school, aggressive businesses, and newspaper, the Benton City "Era." Site was given by James M. Jones, farmer-livestock raiser and leading citizen, whose . . . — Map (db m56587) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Lytle — 1650 — First Baptist Church of Lytle
Dr. J.V.E. Covey and 16 charter members organized this church in April 1893 and held their first meeting under a stand of oak trees. A small frame building was later built, becoming their first permanent church building. Early baptisms were . . . — Map (db m56593) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Lytle — 3158 — Lytle Methodist Church
According to oral history, the Lytle Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was founded in 1889. W.C. Newton, a local farmer and preacher, became known as "The Father of the Lytle Methodist Church" due to his efforts to establish a permanent place of . . . — Map (db m56596) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 1056 — Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons
Chartered March 27, 1871, on petition of Master Masons of Pleasanton Lodge No. 283, A.F. and A.M., and the surrounding area. Met in upper floor of the Isaac Cooper home until 1891; over Cooper Brothers store until Masonic Hall was built in 1961. . . . — Map (db m56589) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 11698 — Coughran
Established on land purchased in 1901, the town of Coughran was named for founder and early settler W. A. "Abe" Coughran. He persuaded the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Raildroad to build tracks through his property. The town was platted in 1913; by . . . — Map (db m56590) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 1666 — First Baptist Church of Pleasanton
On December 16, 1866, seven charter members met together to organize the First Baptist Church of Pleasanton. They met for worship in a variety of places, including the county courthouse in 1867, a schoolhouse south of town in 1870, and the Rock . . . — Map (db m56594) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 3797 — Old Rock Schoolhouse
Constructed of locally quarried red sandstone, the Old Rock Schoolhouse was built in 1874 with funds pledged by citizens of Pleasanton. Once completed, the building was deeded to the county for free public school purposes. In addition to its . . . — Map (db m56605) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 4056 — Pleasanton(Founded 1858)
Named for early Texas settler John Pleasants, by John Bowen (d.1867), San Antonio's first Anglo-American postmaster. Bowen, assisted financially by associate Henry L. Radaz, in Sept. 1858 founded this town at the juncture of Atascosa River and . . . — Map (db m56599) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 12533 — Pleasanton City Cemetery
Begun in 1865 as a family burial ground, the Pleasanton City Cemetery is a reflection of the history of the community from its earliest days. The first burial was that of three-year-old Gustave B. Doak, whose parents, Jonathan and Mary Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m56600) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 4057 — Pleasanton First United Methodist Church
This congregation was organized in 1857, one year before the city of Pleasanton was founded. The church was established largely through the efforts of early Methodist circuit preachers such as John Wesley DeVilbliss and Augustus C. Fairman, who . . . — Map (db m56601) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 16243 — Pleasanton School Integration
Pleasanton School District began educating African American children in 1913 with the creation of the Abraham Lincoln School. By 1955, students from the Lincoln School and white students were participating in football workouts together and . . . — Map (db m56602) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 4882 — Site of San Augustine Church
Between 1850 and 1860, Manuel, Enrique, and Francisco Esparza brought their families to settle in what is now Atascosa County. The brothers, along with their sister and mother, were within the walls of the Alamo when it fell to the Mexicans in March . . . — Map (db m56608) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Pleasanton — 11697 — Verdi
By 1855, settlers primarily from Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Missouri and Tennessee, as well as some of Spanish origin, were making their homes in this area and calling themselves Lucas Community because of their proximity to Lucas . . . — Map (db m56611) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Poteet — 155 — Amphion and Amphion Cemetery
Amphion traces its beginning to the establishment of Atascosa County's first courthouse which is believed to have been constructed near this site at the county seat of Navatasco in 1857. Amphion, thought to have been named after a figure in Greek . . . — Map (db m56582) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Poteet — 13595 — Anchorage Cemetery
The family of William and Mary Allen Stiggins emigrated here from Prince Edward Island, Canada, in 1882. Included in the group were their daughter Mary Jane (1855-1935), who had studied medicine, and her fiancé Thomas Whittet (1838-1913), a former . . . — Map (db m56633) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Poteet — 4092 — Poteet
The town of Poteet traces its history to the 1880s, when Francis Marion Poteet (1833-1907) established a mercantile store northeast of this area. A blacksmith and farmer as well as a merchant, Poteet began providing mail service to his customers. . . . — Map (db m56603) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Poteet — 4819 — Site of Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch Headquarters(2.3 Mi. SSE)
This land had once been allocated in the 1700s as a ranch for Mission San Jose in San Antonio (20 mi. N), but in the 1820s was left unsettled. In 1828 prominent San Antonio resident Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871) beseeched the Governor of the . . . — Map (db m111187) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Rossville — 4355 — Rossville
First Scottish community in southwest Texas. Founded 1873 by brothers William F.M. Ross and John C. Ross. Born in north Scotland, they came to Texas in 1867. Here they were awarded a contract to carry U.S. Mail. On the route, they noticed fertile . . . — Map (db m56606) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Rossville — 4356 — Rossville Cemetery
Texas statesman Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871) transferred land here along the Atascosa River to his eldest son Jose Antonio George Navarro. J.A.G. Navarro (b.1819) then gave 160 acres here to his daughter Maria Antonia Navarro (1845-1922) in . . . — Map (db m63703) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Rossville — 4559 — Sand Branch Baptist Church
Organized under a tree near this site on August 27, 1882, the pioneer Sand Branch Baptist Church began with twelve members from the surrounding rural area. Elder C.B. Hukill served as the congregation's first pastor. Early worship services, . . . — Map (db m56609) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Somerset — 3795 — Old Rock Baptist Church
Organized as Medina Baptist Church in April 1857 at Mann's Crossing, near Macdona. Until 1866, when members built an arbor here near Old Somerset, the services were held in homes or in a schoolhouse. Site for meetinghouse and cemetery (2.5 . . . — Map (db m56604) HM

37 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.