Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in February 2006, the district includes 117 commercial and residential properties dating from around 1875 to 1950. The district lies along and adjacent to Grand Avenue, South Valley Avenue and Main . . . — — Map (db m62367) HM
Collinsville burned twice. On December 24, 1884, the Collinsville Depot, Hall-Mackey Store and other businesses were destroyed. Flames again swept the town on February 2, 1900, damaging and destroying businesses and homes including: B.A. Nowlin . . . — — Map (db m62377) HM
Cherokee Indians first inhabited this mound site, subsequently settled by A.H. Lamar, a captain in the Seminole War and first constable (1836) of DeKalb County. Lamar and his Cherokee wife operated trading post and stage coach stop on site, selling . . . — — Map (db m62366) HM
Crossville, once known as a little village, was named by James A. Copeland because of the area’s many crossroads. In the mid-1800s, mail was brought through Crossville from Rome, GA and Guntersville, AL by stagecoach. The first . . . — — Map (db m79904) HM
In the late '60s, cousins Randy Owen and Teddy Gentry discovered they shared a common interest in music. Joined by Jeff Cook, they started playing on a regular basis. Working their day jobs and playing any place they could locally in the evenings, . . . — — Map (db m25277) HM
Around 1889-1891 Fort Payne experienced a great industrial boom due to promotion by New England investors who speculated greatly on the area’s mineral deposits. During this period several highly ornate commercial and civic buildings, along with the . . . — — Map (db m28027) HM
Under the provisions of the Cherokee Removal Act of 1830, a log stockade was built, “Two hundred yards Northeast of Big Spring.” The spring supplied abundant water for the Cherokees, the soldiers and livestock. Fort Payne was used as . . . — — Map (db m36743) HM
To the Confederate Soldiers.
Some of whom sacrificed all, and all of whom sacrificed much.
On fame's eternal camping ground their silent tents are spread, and glory guards with solemn . . . — — Map (db m100368) WM
In 1837 Federal Troops arrived in this area to select a fort location for the collection, holding and removal of the Cherokee. Part of a much larger compound, this site contained a cabin seized by the troops for use as part of the fort. Today a . . . — — Map (db m100286) HM
Opened Sept. 1890. Built during local boom period. Converted into theatre during era of silent movies. Closed as a theatre in October, 1935. Purchased by Landmarks of DeKalb County, Inc. 1969. Renovated, restored and reopened to public in 1970. The . . . — — Map (db m83686) HM
The fort, consisting of a log house and large stockade, was built in 1838 by order of General Winfield Scott, commander of military forces responsible for the removal of Cherokee Indians.
Soldiers occupying the fort were commanded by Captain . . . — — Map (db m28030) HM
The Fort Payne Main Street Historic District developed between 1889 and the 1940s, because of the city's rapid growth during the hosiery mill industry boom. The increased population needed new commercial and governmental buildings, which were . . . — — Map (db m100028) HM
Born in Tennessee, Sequoyah moved to Wills Town (DeKalb County, Alabama) area of the Cherokee Nation in 1818.
Here, in 1821, he invented an 86 symbol alphabet providing the Cherokees with the only written Indian language in the United States. . . . — — Map (db m28033) HM
The mission was established in 1823 by the American Board of Missions to further education and Christianity among the Cherokee Indians. Mission operated until the Indian removal in 1838.
Grave site of Reverend Ard Hoyt, first superintendent, . . . — — Map (db m28035) HM
No one knows for sure how Geraldine got its name. Some say it was named for a lovely Indian maiden. The first official record was on September 5, 1882 when Mr. William A. Johnson applied for the location of a new post office. The . . . — — Map (db m79905) HM
The first Lookout Mountain settlers arrived shortly after the Cherokee Indian removal of 1838-1839. These pioneers had been too late for homesteading the good farmland in northwest Georgia. They now turned their attention to Lookout . . . — — Map (db m83688) HM