Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Madison County Florida Historical Markers

 
The Town of Ellaville Marker image, Touch for more information
circa May 1, 2009
The Town of Ellaville Marker
Florida (Madison County), Ellaville — F-200 — Drew Mansion Site / The Town of Ellaville
Drew Mansion Site Located approximately one-half mile to the northwest is the site of the Drew Mansion, home of George F. Drew, governor of Florida during the difficult period of readjustment following Civil War Reconstruction, 1877-1881. . . . — Map (db m19939) HM
Florida (Madison County), Greenville — Concord Missionary Baptist ChurchSite of the Founding of the Florida Baptist Convention
(side 1) For the glory of God, the church was constituted June 20, 1841. The charter members were: Richard J. and Eliza Mays; Joshua W.P. and Mary McCall; William T., Elizabeth and Harriet Johnson; black servants, Elbert, Phillis, . . . — Map (db m67604) HM
Florida (Madison County), Greenville — F-651 — Ray Charles Childhood Home
This home is a reconstruction of the home where musician Ray Charles (1930-2004) lived with his mother, Aretha Williams, and adopted grandmother, Margaret "Muh" Robinson, shortly after his birth in 1930, until about the age of five. "RC", as Ray was . . . — Map (db m52361) HM
Florida (Madison County), Lee — 26 — Peace OfferingFlorida De Soto Trail — September 23, 1539 —
It’s September 23, 1539… Conquistador Hernando de Soto and his men have reached a large river, the present-day Suwannee – My nose is broken, and we are weary from battle. We will rest here for two days before crossing. Envoys of . . . — Map (db m126587) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-14 — Captain Richard G. Bradford
Captain Richard G. Bradford of Madison was killed October 9, 1861, during the Battle of Santa Rosa Island. This battle was fought in an attempt to capture Fort Pickens which protected Pensacola Harbor. Bradford was the first Confederate officer from . . . — Map (db m149388) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-192 — City of MadisonFrontier Newtown or Madison Court House
Madison was founded on land secured from Madison C. Livingston, May 2, 1838, and established as the county seat after its removal from San Pedro. An early political center, it was along the escape route of Confederate Secretary of War John C. . . . — Map (db m149420) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-361 — Dial-Goza House
This late Victorian mansion was built c. 1880 for Major William H. Dial (1830-1905), a Confederate veteran of the Civil War. Dial was a surveyor who moved from South Carolina to Madison, Florida in the 1850s. This house is one of the finest examples . . . — Map (db m102441) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-296 — First Baptist Church 1898 Sanctuary
This structure represents an adaptation of the Queen Anne style of architecture to local ecclesiastical needs and traditional building materials. Both the stimulus for constructing a new sanctuary and the idea for its basic design are attributed to . . . — Map (db m17726) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-185 — Madison Oak Ridge Cemetery
An early community cemetery, Oak Ridge presents a profile of North Florida history. Located on approximately eleven acres, the cemetery was established on land donated by two pioneer citizens. Buried here are: William Archer Hammerly, Master . . . — Map (db m149419) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-176 — Pioneer Hickstown Baptist ChurchThe first Baptist church of Madison
Begun here for God's glory in 1835, the church was named Madison Baptist Church in 1854 and received its present name in 1922. Founders were Abraham Moseley and R.J. Mays. Early pastors were B. Fiddler, W.B. Cooper, H.Z. Ardis, and first deacon . . . — Map (db m17744) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — Seminole Indian War Blockhouse
On this site stood a Blockhouse erected by the citizens of the area to protect women, children, and old people in the threatening period of 1835-1842. It served as an informal Court House before Adoniram Vann completed the regular Court House in . . . — Map (db m149386) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — Shiloh Methodist Church
(side 1) To The Glory of The Most High God a group of Christians led by the Reverend John Gramling organized Shiloh Methodist Church here, December 24, 1845. Born in 1785 in South Carolina, the son of German Emigrants Adam and Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m67603) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-184 — Site of San PedroSpanish Mission and First Official County Seat of Madison County
In the mid 1600's San Pedro de Potohiriba, a Spanish mission, was established in this area on the Old Spanish Trail. The first courthouse of Madison County was erected at San Pedro, the county seat from 1828 to 1838. San Pedro, located about ten . . . — Map (db m129387) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-181 — St. Johns Seminary of Learning(Site of Early Madison County Educational Institutions)
Madison Lodge Number 11, F.& A.M. founded the St. Johns Seminary of Learning on the southwest corner of this block in 1850. This institution became the basis for Madison High School in 1886. W.B. Cates established the Florida Normal Institute here . . . — Map (db m149389) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-797 — St. Mary's Episcopal Church
The congregation of St. Mary's Episcopal Church was organized in 1859, but the parish became dormant during the Civil War when services were held irregularly. Twenty years later, on July 6, 1879, the congregation appointed a committee to coordinate . . . — Map (db m93267) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — Steam Engine of the Florida Manufacturing Company
Across Range Street, this Unit was used in Cotton and Peanut processing until 1919 and later carried to Taylor County for use in the Lumber Industry. With a 5-foot Piston Stroke and a 16-foot Drive Wheel, this 500 HP Engine pulled 65 Gins in the . . . — Map (db m17752) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — The Ellaville Post OfficeFrontier Columbus on the Suwannee River
Established at Columbus, February 17, 1842, moved across the Suwannee to serve a Sawmill Complex, 1867, the office became Ellaville, 1872. Some postmasters were George F. Drew, 1867-1883, Robert L. Millinor, 1893-1912, Frederick Stroud, 1914-1922, . . . — Map (db m67606) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-182 — The Florida Manufacturing CompanyWorld's Largest Sea Island Cotton Processing Plant
Captain John L. Inglis began in this area The Florida Manufacturing Company in 1874. This plant ginned as many as ten thousand bales of Sea Island Long Staple Cotton in one year. The thread was widely used for general purposes and making English . . . — Map (db m149433) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-178 — The Four Freedoms Monument
The Four Freedoms were stated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in his Annual Message to Congress, January 6, 1941. Freedom of speech and expression, freedom of worship, freedom from want, and freedom from fear everywhere in the world, became the . . . — Map (db m149384) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-196 — The Wardlaw-Smith House
The Wardlaw-Smith House was erected in the early 1860's for Benjamin F. Wardlaw, a prominent local citizen. Following the Civil War Battle of Olustee in February, 1864, it served as a Confederate hospital. This fine example of Greek Revival . . . — Map (db m17745) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-902 — W.T. Davis Building
Built in 1892 by William Turner (W.T.) Davis, this building is one of the few remaining buildings in Florida covered with a galvanized sheet metal facade, in this example produced by the Mesker Brothers Iron Works of St. Louis, Missouri. This use of . . . — Map (db m96934) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — Wardlaw-Smith-Goza Conference Center
The Wardlaw-Smith House was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. William M. Goza in January, 1978 in a state of disrepair. It was meticulously restored and landscaped by them under the supervision of Dawson Rutherford, Master Contractor. Mr. and Mrs. Goza . . . — Map (db m17750) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 31, 2020