Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Baltimore Maryland Historical Markers

614 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 414
 
Marker and gravestone image, Touch for more information
By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 26, 2008
Marker and gravestone
Maryland, Baltimore — “…a truly affectionate wife”
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
Frances "Fanny" H. Peachy, like most women buried here, remains largely anonymous. The daughter of a local minister, Frances H. Andrews (1799-1822) married Baltimore saddlemaker Thomas G. Peachy on February 28, 1821. Less than a year later she was . . . — Map (db m6644) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — “Baltimore must be tamed…”Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
On Broadway.
Baltimore’s importance as the commercial heart of the Chesapeake region wasn’t the only reason the British wanted to capture the city in 1814. They also wanted to stifle Fell’s Point---the home port for many of the privateers that preyed on British . . . — Map (db m79711) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — 6 — Working Point by David Hess1997
Near Key Highway east of Boyle Street, on the right when traveling west.
While seemingly toy-like, the sculpture neither moves nor did it ever function. It was designed to integrate 90 tons of obsolete machinery from Baltimore's industries, highlighting their many interconnections. All the components were donated to . . . — Map (db m131183) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1017 - 1021 East Baltimore Street
On East Baltimore Street, on the right when traveling east.
This structure,built around 1808, was home to the Colvin family for several generations. In 1874 it served temporarily as the Hebrew Orphan Asylum, whose original building had burned. The Presbyterian Eye, Ear and Throat Charity Hospital opened here . . . — Map (db m61897) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1023 East Baltimore Street
On E. Baltimore Street.
Ship owner Isaac McKim built a house here in 1808. St. Vincent de Paul Roman Catholic Church bought the property in 1879 and built a large social hall beside the house, naming the complex Carroll Hall. Parish societies used the hall, but high rental . . . — Map (db m102326) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1029 East Baltimore Street
Near East Baltimore Street.
The building's on the south side of this block have changed dramatically to meet the needs of an ever-changing city. First built a private homes, since the late 19th century they have housed community institution devoted to the spiritual, cultural, . . . — Map (db m97356) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1781 Friends Meeting House
On North Asiquith Street at East Fayette Street, on the right when traveling north on North Asiquith Street.
The Friends Meeting House is the oldest religious building in Baltimore. In 1781, the Patapsco Friends Meeting, formerly located on Harford Road two miles north of the Inner Harbor, moved to this site. In 1784 a group of Quakers established a school . . . — Map (db m6282) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1814 Enlisted Men's Barracks, No 2
Of the 60 soldiers in Captain Frederick Evans' company, U.S. Corps of Artillery, 16 soldiers occupied this room, sleeping four to a bunk. To enhance an esprit de corps, the color yellow, signifying the artillery service, was used on the wood . . . — Map (db m34890) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1917 – 1918
Near Washington Boulevard.
The residents of the Twenty First Ward as a lasting expression of their gratitude and affection have placed this tablet as a testimonial to the young men of this community, who in a spirit of unselfish patriotism answered their country’s call in the . . . — Map (db m41354) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 29th Division AssociationCenter Haute Meuse 1917-Sector Alsace Argonne 1919
On Howard Street at Dolphin Street on Howard Street.
Charles Hazeltine Hammann Ens Air Service U.S. Navy March 16, 1892-June 14, 1919

Henry Gilbert Costin Pvt. Co. H, 115TH Inf., 29th Div June 15, 1898-October 8, 1918.

Ensign Hammann rescued a fellow pilot by landing his seaplane on . . . — Map (db m101516) WM

Maryland, Baltimore — 732 South Ann Street
On South Ann Street.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m103974) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 800-810 Cathedral Street Row Houses
On Cathedral Street.
This structure has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey of the United States Department of the Interior for its archives at the Library of Congress. — Map (db m101625) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 9 North Front Street
Near North Front Street.
A survival from the 18th century, this house was built in the section of the city known as “Jonestown.” Designed and built in the 1790’s in the Federal style, 9 North Front Street was once part of a neighborhood of merchants, . . . — Map (db m2726) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 9/11 Memorial Garden
Near Maryland Avenue north of West Mount Royal Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
The University of Baltimore dedicates this garden to the memory of all those who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks on 9/11/01, especially those who were members of our UB community: Joseph V. Maggitti, B.S. '75 Seamus Oneal, M.S. . . . — Map (db m130518) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Beloved General
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
"...and I feel pride in the belief that the stand made on Monday, in no small degree, tended to check the temerity of the foe, daring to invade a country like ours, and designing the destruction of our city..." Brig. Gen. John Stricker . . . — Map (db m6651) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Firefighters’ Memorial
On Clipper Park Road.
In Memory of Eric Dorian Schaefer, a member of Rescue Company 1, John F. Steadman Fire Station, killed in the line of duty on September 16, 1995, and to all the firefighters who fought the Clipper Mill fire. The Clipper Mill campus, where new . . . — Map (db m139637) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A History of Firsts in BaltimoreThe Baltimore Museum of Industry
On Light Street.
From its founding in 1729, Baltimore’s proximity to the Chesapeake Bay was the engine that drove commerce, trade and industry. The most inland port on the eastern seaboard, Baltimore boomed as a leading city, center of industrial innovation and . . . — Map (db m102969) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A La Memorie D’Edgar Allan Poe
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
Eternellement Cher Dans les Coeurs De Ses Amis Francais This memorial originally in brass, was brought from France by Count F. de Byron-Khun et Prince Edgard de Waldeck under the auspices of the French Literary Society and placed here in the . . . — Map (db m6626) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Memorial Rose Garden
On Pimlico Drive.
To John Cook A renowned rosarian worthy of this honor whose fame will never die. — Map (db m6242) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Monument to the Memory of Edgar Allan Poe
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
"My idea in designing this monument was to produce something simple, chaste, and dignified, to strike more by graceful outlines and proportions than by crowding with unmeaning ornament." George A. Frederick, ca. 1874 The November 1875 . . . — Map (db m6627) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Monumental Honor
On Washington Place at Mt. Vernon Place, in the median on Washington Place.
The Washington Monument is the first major public monument to George Washington. Originally, the Washington Monument was built so George Washington himself could stand on top of the column and look over one of America's great cities, and also keep . . . — Map (db m7720) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Monumental Mistake
On Washington Place at Mount Vernon Place, on the right when traveling north on Washington Place.
These four sculptures were donated by art collector Henry Walters for the interior of the park facing the Washington Monument. The statuaries, made by French sculptor Antoine-Louis Barye, depict a man and a boy accompanied by various animals. The . . . — Map (db m7724) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Mother’s Grief
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
In an age of high infant mortality, Sarah and John Brown experience more than their share of loss. Plagued by smallpox, yellow fever, cholera, typhoid, measles and mumps, early Baltimore families buried one of every three children before their first . . . — Map (db m30564) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Name Before a Place
Near North Franklintown Road.
Leakin Park had a name before it had a place. At his death in 1922 John Wilson Leakin left the city several downtown properties to be sold so land could he purchased for apark. The city deferred action because of existing leases, the Great . . . — Map (db m6338) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A National Cemetery System
Near Frederick Avenue (Maryland Route 144) west of McCurley Street, on the right when traveling east.
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. . . . — Map (db m135083) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Neighborhood Goes to MarketLexington Market
On West Lexington Street at Pearl Street on West Lexington Street.
Between 1820 and 1945, Baltimore grew from a small port city to a commercial and industrial center of both regional and national importance. Anchored by Lexington Marker this neighborhood still reflects that period of growth. During the 19th and . . . — Map (db m103244) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Pivotal Battle
Near E. Fort Avenue.
British ships launched an attack on Fort McHenry early on September 13, 1814. The fort defended the water approach to the city of Baltimore. The future of the city and possibly the United States depended on the outcome. After the American defeat at . . . — Map (db m61551) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Place of Invention
Near West Mount Vernon Place, in the median.
This fountain was installed during the creation of Mount Vernon Place so that those wealthy enough to own wooden teeth could rinse and wash them in the park. These teeth cleaners were common all over America in the 1800s. At the time, it was thought . . . — Map (db m7725) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Sense of SanctuaryA Safe Place for Friendly Competition and Open Discussion for Social Change
Near Grove Road.
From 1909 to 1951, in the days of an unwritten "Jim Crow" segregation policy, the Parks Commission of Baltimore maintained "separate but equal" facilities. Druid Hill became the sole park city-wide where the African-American community felt welcome . . . — Map (db m7599) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Star Spangled Centennial
On E. Fort Avenue.
The Francis Scott Key Tablet above was dedicated as part of the National Star Spangled Banner Centennial celebration in 1914. Designed by Hans Schuler, the bronze shield depicts and American flag and myrtle (symbolic of love and immortality) . . . — Map (db m60400) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Swashbuckling Merchant
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
Irish-born adventurer John O’Donnell (1749–1805) was a native of Limerick who made his way to India as a youth. He sailed into Baltimore on a late summer day in 1785 aboard a ship laden with Chinese goods, thus opening Baltimore’s trade with . . . — Map (db m6635) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Tribute to Our Unsung Heroes
Near Holliday Street at Fayette Street.
The heroes walk program was established by Mayor William Donald Schaefer in 1986, to honor those persons who have unselfishly given their time, labor and talents to help improve the quality of life in our community without ever seeking reward or . . . — Map (db m2709) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Acquiring Fame: Mount Vernon CelebritiesMount Vernon Cultural Walk
On East Chase Street at North Charles Street on East Chase Street.
In 1903, the Belvedere Hotel became the crowning architectural achievement in the neighborhood. Its signature thirty-five-foot mansard roof has become the symbol for upper Mount Vernon. In the late 1970s, the building was rehabilitated into . . . — Map (db m102915) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Address by President LincolnAt the Dedication of the Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863 —
Near Frederick Avenue (Maryland Route 144) west of McCurley Street, on the right when traveling east.
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, . . . — Map (db m135087) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Admiral Guillermo Brown
On Light Street (Maryland Route 2).
In honor to the abiding memory of The father of the Argentine Navy Admiral Guillermo Brown On the banks of the Delaware where he started his maritime career. "Brave in combat, magnanimous in victory and audacious in his decisions" Born in 1777 in . . . — Map (db m6158) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Adventure Begins at the Bay's Front DoorBaltimore Visitor Center and Gwynns Falls Trail — Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network —
On Light Street at Conway Street on Light Street.
It’s amazing how much has happened here since Captain John Smith traveled up the Patapsco while exploring the Chesapeake Bay in 1608. Since its founding in 1729, Baltimore has been the scene of some of American history’s great moments, among them . . . — Map (db m79856) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — African American PoliticiansPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trial
On Division Street at West Lafayette Avenue on Division Street.
In concert with many of Old West Baltimore’s civil rights organizations and leaders, African Americans entered the political arena. As far back as 1792, Thomas Brown, an African American horse doctor and veteran of the Revolutionary War, ran . . . — Map (db m101986) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Alex Brown Investment Banking Company — Historic Site —
On East Baltimore Street at South Calvert Street (Maryland Route 2), on the right when traveling east on East Baltimore Street.
On this site in 1900 was constructed the banking headquarters for the Alex Brown Investment Banking Company, America's oldest banking house in continuous operation. This building survived the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904 with evidence of that event . . . — Map (db m7042) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Alex. Brown & Sons Company Building
On South Calvert Street (Maryland Route 2) at East Baltimore Street, on the left when traveling north on South Calvert Street.
This building was home to Alex. Brown & Sons Company, founded in 1800, the first and oldest continually operating investment banking firm in the United States. The building represents the firm's and Baltimore's importance in the financial world of . . . — Map (db m7041) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Allegiance by Force
Near E. Fort Avenue.
"if there should be an uprising in Baltimore, I shall be compelled to try to put it down; and that gun is the first I shall fire." -- Major General John Dix, U.S. Army,1861 At the beginning of the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln . . . — Map (db m66636) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — American Legion Federal Post No. 19
On Madison Avenue at Mosher Street on Madison Avenue.
Since the establishment in 1930, American Legion Federal Post No. 19 has served as a faithful steward to Baltimore’s African American veterans and the larger community. Members from this post worked within the larger American Legion organization to . . . — Map (db m102337) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Among Family: Poe’s Original Burial Place
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
He lies buried amongst his kindred ... and no stone or monument yet marks his resting-place." J. Thomas Scharf's Chronicles of Baltimore, 1874 Edgar Allan Poe was buried here on October 8, 1849, a day after his lingering death in . . . — Map (db m6642) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Among the Illustrious Men
Near North Greene Street near West Fayette Street.
Among The Illustrious Men interred within this enclosure who assisted in the achievement of National Independence are the Following ─── ─── ─── In the Revolution and the War . . . — Map (db m88377) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — An 18th-Century Burying Ground
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
Westminster's origins stretch back to 1786 when local Scots-Irish Presbyterians acquired land here for a new burial ground, a mile or so from the center of the growing town of some 12,000. First Presbyterian Church included many of Baltimore's most . . . — Map (db m6643) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — An Active Port for 300 YearsThe Port of Baltimore
On East Pratt Street, on the right when traveling east.
Proximity to the Chesapeake Bay has been the driving force in Baltimore's eminence in commerce and transportation. But the story of Baltimore's port is actually older than Baltimore itself. In 1706 - two decades before the founding of Baltimore - . . . — Map (db m34845) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — An Old Mill Stream
Near Windsor Mill Road.
If you were standing here in the early 1800s, you would have been listening to the waterwheel humming away at the Windsor Mill across this bridge. This section of the Gwynns Falls Trail is built over a three-mile millrace that carried water to power . . . — Map (db m6340) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Archaeological RemainsFrederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park — A Living Classroom —
On Thames Street.
For the past 300 years, wharfs have jutted into Baltimore harbor, and been home to commercial and residential buildings. What is known today as Chase’s Wharf, where you are standing, had long been a bustling site with one and two-story frame and . . . — Map (db m103331) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Armistead
Near Fort Avenue.
To Col. George Armistead, April 10, 1779 – April 25, 1818, commander of this fort during the bombardment by the British Fleet, Sept. 13-14 1814. War of 1812. Erected Spet. 12, 1914 by the City of Baltimore, Soc. War of 1812 . . . — Map (db m2595) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Army "Sailors," Navy "Soldiers""Not a man shrunk from conflict" Major George Armistead, Commander Fort McHenry September 1814
On E. Fort Avenue.
The defenders who manned the heavy cannons in front of you represented a unique combination of soldiers and sailors. One unit, the U.S. Sea Fencibles, included civilian sailors. Wearing the clothing of their trade, they were issued muskets, drilled . . . — Map (db m61147) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Association of Maryland PilotsJune 3, 1852
On Thames Street at Bond Street, on the right when traveling west on Thames Street.
At this location, then known as the Union Hotel, a group of some 90 state licensed bay pilots met in the hotel lobby to form the Association of Maryland Pilots. Captain Henry Vaughan was elected as their first president. Several rooms of the second . . . — Map (db m109877) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — B&O No. 908"John T. Collinson"
Near West Pratt Street east of South Schroeder Street, on the right when traveling east.
Railroads built office cars for officials directors, stockholders, and other wealthy patrons as early as the 1840s. Used for right-of-way inspection trips and other business travel, these rolling offices provided an observation platform, . . . — Map (db m135963) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — B&O Railroad Museum
Near West Pratt Street east of South Schroeder Street, on the right when traveling east.
The National Railway Historical Society honors the B&O Railroad Museum on the 175th anniversary of beginning construction of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad on July 4, 1828 The museum is commended in its efforts to . . . — Map (db m135945) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — B. Robinson 5
On Washington Blvd.
Front panel-Brooks Calbert Robinson, Jr. Baltimore Orioles 3rd Baseman 1955-1977. Left panel-Brooks Robinson was born in Little Rock, Arkansas, but he became Baltimore’s hometown hero. Arriving here in September 1955 at the age of 18, he went . . . — Map (db m136353) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum
On Emory Street at Dover Street, on the right when traveling south on Emory Street.
George Herman Ruth, better known to the world as Babe Ruth, baseball's famous "Sultan of Swat," was born here in the home of his maternal grandparents on February 6, 1895. Famous for his record-breaking statistics and flamboyant style, Babe was . . . — Map (db m125679) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Babe’s Dream
On W. Camden Street at S. Eutaw Street, on the right when traveling east on W. Camden Street.
George Herman “Babe” Ruth, Baltimorean. Feb. 6, 1895 – Aug. 16, 1948. — Map (db m708) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore & Ohio RailroadThe Mount Clare Shops
On West Pratt Street.
You are standing on the site of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad’s Mount Clare Shops, a large industrial complex critical to maintaining every aspect of the railroad’s daily operations. Because of their strategic importance, the shops were among the . . . — Map (db m60965) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Arts Tower
On South Eutaw Street at West Lombard Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling north on South Eutaw Street.
Once known as the Bromo Seltzer Tower, this building is a monument to Captain Isaac Emerson, the imaginative chemist who developed a famous headache remedy, and named it after Mt. Bromo - an active volcano in Java. Emerson came to Baltimore in . . . — Map (db m6982) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Chamber of Commerce
On Water Street east of Commerce Street, on the left when traveling east.
Until the 1850's, Baltimore's grain trading took place in "counting rooms" of individual merchants or on Bowley's Wharf where an effort was made to standardize corn and grain prices by displaying grain samples on barrel heads and window ledges. . . . — Map (db m127236) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore City Courthouse
On North Calvert Street at Lafayette Street, on the left when traveling north on North Calvert Street.
This “noble pile” as it was described at the dedication of January 8, 1900, is the third courthouse built on Monument Square. When Calvert Street was leveled in 1784, the original courthouse—site of the May 1774 Stamp Act Protest . . . — Map (db m89370) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore City Fire Department
On Gay Street at E. Lexington Street, on the left when traveling north on Gay Street.
Dedicated to the Members of the Baltimore City Fire Department, Past, Present and Future. — Map (db m2704) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore College of Dental Surgery
On Hopkins Place, on the left when traveling south.
This tablet erected by the Maryland State Dental Association marks the original site of the Baltimore College of Dental Survery Founded in the year 1840 the first dental college in the world. — Map (db m7037) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Equitable Society
On North Eutaw Street south of Lexington Street, on the left when traveling south.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m115208) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Immigration History
On North Haubert Street north of Key Highway East, on the right when traveling north.
Before 1821 immigrants from the German States, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, France, Haiti, as well as African slave arrived in Baltimore in relatively small numbers, fewer than 1,000 per year on average. From 1821 to . . . — Map (db m131173) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Infirmary
On South Greene Street (Maryland Route 295) near West Lombard Street, on the right when traveling south.
On this site in 1823 the faculty of the University of Maryland College of Medicine erected the Baltimore Infirmary, the first teaching hospital associated with a degree-granting school of medicine and the original residency program in medical . . . — Map (db m10006) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Police Department
On President Street.
Established 1784 by an act of the Maryland Legislature. This living memorial is dedicated by the Department to all members, past and present. Who have served with honor, dedication, and loyalty. Many of whom have made the supreme . . . — Map (db m2601) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Public Works Museum
On Eastern Avenue.
Completed in 1912, the majestic Eastern Avenue Pumping Station was the architectural crown jewel in the City of Baltimore’s ambitious plan to provide its citizens with a service largely taken for granted today, a sanitary sewage system.

Designed . . . — Map (db m60939) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Regional TrailA House Divided — War on the Chesapeake Bay —
Near West Camden Street near South Howard Street.
During the Civil War, Baltimore and its environs exemplified the divided loyalties of Maryland's residents. The city had commercial ties to the South as well as the North, and its secessionist sympathies erupted in violence on April 19, 1861, when . . . — Map (db m37537) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Regional TrailA House Divided — War on the Chesapeake Bay —
On Boston Street west of South Lakewood Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
During the Civil War, Baltimore and its environs exemplified the divided loyalties of Maryland's residents. The city had commercial ties to the South as well as the North, and its secessionist sympathies erupted in violence on April 19, 1861, when . . . — Map (db m79687) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Riot TrailDeath at President Street Station
On President Street at Fleet Street, on the right when traveling south on President Street.
Baltimore – A house Divided In 1861, as the Civil War began, Baltimore secessionists hoped to stop rail transportation to Washington and isolate the national capital. On April 19, the 6th Massachusetts Regiment arrived here at the . . . — Map (db m2418) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Riot Trail"Keep back ... or I Shoot"
On Light Street (Maryland Route 2) at East Pratt Street, on the left when traveling south on Light Street.
Baltimore - A House Divided On April 19, 1861, Confederate sympathizers attacked the 6th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment as it changed trains en route to Washington, which the secessionists hoped to isolate. To learn more about the . . . — Map (db m6151) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Riot TrailFlag Waving at Fawn Street — Baltimore – A House Divided —
On President Street at Fawn Street, on the left when traveling north on President Street.
(Preface): On April 19, 1861, Confederate sympathizers attacked the 6th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment as it changed trains en route to Washington, which the secessionists hoped to isolate. To learn more about the Baltimore Riot, the . . . — Map (db m6208) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Riot TrailBarricade at Jones Falls Bridge — Baltimore – A House Divided —
On President Street at Pratt Street, on the left when traveling north on President Street.
(Preface): On April 19, 1861, Confederate sympathizers attacked the 6th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment as it changed trains en route to Washington, which the secessionists hoped to isolate. To learn more about the Baltimore Riot, the . . . — Map (db m6209) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Riot TrailLast Shots at Camden Station — Baltimore – A House Divided —
Near South Howard Street near West Camden Street.
(Preface): On April 19, 1861, Confederate sympathizers attacked the 6th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment as it changed trains en route to Washington, which the secessionists hoped to isolate. To learn more about the Baltimore Riot, the city’s . . . — Map (db m37538) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Riot TrailCombat on Pratt Street — Baltimore – A House Divided —
On Pratt Street at Commerce Street, on the right when traveling east on Pratt Street.
(Preface) On April 19, 1861, Confederate sympathizers attacked the 6th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment as it changed trains en route to Washington, which the secessionists hoped to isolate. To learn more about the Baltimore Riot, the . . . — Map (db m71978) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Slave Trade
On East Pratt Street at President Street, on the left when traveling east on East Pratt Street.
Although the United States banned the Transatlantic Slave Trade in 1808, a domestic trade from the Upper South to the emerging cotton-growing regions of the Deep South thrived until the 1860's. Baltimore-based dealers supplied the trade, operating . . . — Map (db m71935) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Turns the TideStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
On Light Street.
After crushing the Americans at Bladensburg and invading the Nation’s Capital, the British targeted Baltimore. If they could capture the city---the third largest in the United States and a commercial and shipbuilding hub---they could likely bring . . . — Map (db m79868) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore’s Maritime HeritagePride of Baltimore II
On Light Street.
The world’s only authentic sailing reproduction of an 1812-era Baltimore Clipper. Pride of Baltimore II is more than a spectacular ship---it is a living, working symbol of Baltimore’s maritime heritage. With her sharply raked masts, abundance of . . . — Map (db m102955) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore’s Part in Saving the BayThe Chesapeake Bay Critical Area Program
On Light Street.
The promenade you are standing on lies within a very special space called the Critical Area. The Critical Area is the 1000 foot strip (about three city blocks) bordering the entire Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries, including the Patapsco River . . . — Map (db m102990) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore's Great Fire
Near Water Street.
Started 10-48 A.M. February 7 1904 Under control 11-30 A.M. February 8 1904 Property destroyed - $100 000 000 Insurance paid - $32 000 000 Acres covered - 140 Lives lost - none Beginning at Liberty and German Streets the fire . . . — Map (db m7321) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
On Cathedral Street at West Mulberry Street (U.S. 40), on the left when traveling south on Cathedral Street.
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m5787) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Beehler Umbrella Factory
On West Lexington Street east of North Howard street, on the left when traveling east.
On this site, from 1886-1908, stood the Beehler Umbrella Factory, the oldest umbrella house in America. Founded in Baltimore by Francis Beehler in 1828. — Map (db m4895) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Believe it or Not
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
Raised slabs mark a number of grave sites at Westminster, but none has garnered as much attention as this one. Once the subject of a "Ripley's Believe it or Not," this gravity-defying piece of marble continues to fascinate. This slab was . . . — Map (db m6639) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Bernard von Kapff
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
Bernard von Kapff (1770-1829) put his stamp on early Baltimore as a merchant, public figure and leader of the German community. A native of Detmold in northern Germany, von Kapff established a tobacco importing business in 1795, and later joined . . . — Map (db m6649) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Bethel A.M.E. Church
On Druid Hill Avenue (Maryland Route 129) at West Lanvale Street, on the right when traveling south on Druid Hill Avenue.
The Bethel African Methodist Episcopal congregatoin is the oldest independent black institution in Baltimore. Its origins date back to the late 18th century, when blacks withdrew from the parent Methodist Church in protest against racially . . . — Map (db m6237) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 1 — Bethlehem Steel Shipyard Crane1942
Near Key Highway east of Boyle Street, on the right when traveling west.
This crane was a fixture on Pier 3 of Bethlehem Steel's Key Highway Shipyard facility. It was one of three identical cranes used to repair war-damaged ships during World War II. The Bethlehem Steel Corporation acquired the Baltimore Dry Dock Company . . . — Map (db m131177) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Billie Holiday Monument.
On Pennsylvania Avenue at West Lafayette Avenue on Pennsylvania Avenue.
Front panel Billie Holiday 1915-1959-Mom and Pop were just a couple of kids when they got married. He was eighteen and she was sixteen and I was three-God Bless the Child.

Right side panel Billie Holiday Born Ellanora Harris, in . . . — Map (db m101670) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — B'nai Israel Synagogue(originally Chizuk Amuno Synagogue)
On Lloyd Street, on the right when traveling north.
The B'nai Israel Synagogue, erected in 1876, is the longest actively-used synagoue in Baltimore. It was built by Congregation Chizuk Amuno ("Strengthening of the Faith"), whose members had seceded from the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation in 1870 to . . . — Map (db m7074) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Bombproofs
The arched chambers on either side of the sally port are identical bomb shelters for the fort's soldiers. They were built immediately after the bombardment of 1814, when it became obvious that such places were needed. Fortunately, Fort McHenry was . . . — Map (db m12246) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Bon Secours Hospital
On West Baltimore Street.
Congregation of the Sisters of Bon Secours, a nursing order founded in France in 1824, sent three members to Baltimore in May, 1881, at the request of Cardinal Gibbons. Their first U. S. convent opened at West Baltimore and Payson Streets the . . . — Map (db m2451) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Boundary Lines of Baltimore Town1729
On East Lexington Street, on the left when traveling east.
[This marker portrays the subject in a pictorial manner. It shows the major streets of Baltimore in 1729. The six stars on the map represent the locations of this and five other identical markers.]Map (db m7483) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Breaking Boundaries: Reverence, Renovation, and Rock and RollMount Vernon Cultural Walk
On West Read Street.
In the early 1950s, the 900 block of Tyson Street made national news for its dramatic transformation from a dilapidated street of falling down houses to a street framed by quaint pastel-colored homes. In 1948, City inspectors had condemned Tyson . . . — Map (db m102864) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Breaking the Back of Segregation
On Pimlico Drive, on the left when traveling south.
Separate but Equal policy July 11, 1948 Participants James Robertson, Maceo Howard, Morris Kalish, James Gross, Albert Blank, Jeanette Fine, Gloria Stewart, Mary Coffee, Mitzy Freishtat, Irvin Winkler, Stanley Askin, Louis Pinkney, Leonard Collidge, . . . — Map (db m11223) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Brewer’s Park
On Lombard Street at South President Street on Lombard Street.
On this site in 1787, Thomas Peters built the original brewery that he sold to Edward Johnson (Mayor of Baltimore, 1808-1814, 1822). It was during Johnson’s ownership of the brewery, and while serving as Mayor of the City of Baltimore in 1813, that . . . — Map (db m102943) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Bridging Gwynns Falls
On West Baltimore Street, on the right when traveling west.
The lofty, triple-arched Baltimore Street Bridge was built here in 1932 to provide better access across the Gwynns Falls Valley to the city's rapidly developing west side. Earlier, the Frederick Turnpike crossed farther south on a relatively short, . . . — Map (db m6351) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Brig. General Lewis A. Armistead
On W. Redwood Street, on the right when traveling east.
Within this cemetery is buried Brig. General Lewis A. Armistead Born New Bern, N.C. Feb. 16, 1817 Died at Gettysburg, Pa. July 3, 1863 Where men under his command made the farthest northern advance by any Southern troops Captain U.S. Army . . . — Map (db m21366) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — British Bomb
Near E Fort Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Fired by the British Naval Forces during the bombardment of this fort Sept. 13-14, 1814 when by the light of “Bombs bursting in air” the National Anthem – The Star Spangled Banner had its birth. — Map (db m10882) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Brooklyn-Curtis Bay Veterans
On Church Street (Maryland Route 171) at Fairhaven Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Church Street.
This memorial is dedicated to all the Brooklyn-Curtis Bay veterans living and deceased by Brooklyn-Curtis Bay Post 187 American Legion, Department of Maryland. Dedicated May 28, 1995. — Map (db m114582) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Brown’s Arcade
On North Charles Street, on the left when traveling north.
Named for the governor who developed it, Brown's Arcade is a unique and early example of adaptive reuse in Baltimore. The four buildings that make up the Arcade were originally constructed as rowhouses in the 1820's. After the Great Fire of 1904, . . . — Map (db m5565) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Building a City and a Nation: At the CrossroadsMount Vernon Cultural Walk
On North Charles Street at East Baltimore Street on North Charles Street.
Twice in the 20th century, Baltimoreans completely reinvented their downtown-by necessity in the early 1900s and by plan mid-century.

In 1904, Baltimore’s downtown vanished when 140 acres were destroyed by fire. Within ten years, Baltimore had . . . — Map (db m103262) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Building Atop the Burying Ground
On West Fayette Street at Greene Street, on the left when traveling west on West Fayette Street.
When leaders of First Presbyterian Church decided to build an new church atop their 18th-century burying ground, they hoped to serve Baltimore’s growing west end and protect their burial place from being diverted to other uses. Construction . . . — Map (db m2413) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Building Community OrganizationsPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
On Druid Hill Aveune.
In the 1930s, Old West Baltimore matured into a self-sustaining, thriving community that nurtured the mind, body and spirit. Old West Baltimore was home to many churches, shops, professional offices, banks and financial institutions, educational . . . — Map (db m101752) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Building High Society: Captains of CommerceMount Vernon Cultural Walk
On North Charles Street.
The upper part of the Mount Vernon neighborhood was once part of Belvedere, the country estate of Colonel John Eager Howard, a Revolutionary War hero, U.S. Senator, and Maryland Governor. His magnificent late 18th-century mansion stood on the . . . — Map (db m102868) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Burial Place of Twenty-Nine Confederate Soldiers
Near Frederick Avenue (Maryland Route 144).
Erected by the United States to mark the burial place of twenty-nine Confederate soldiers who died at Fort McHenry, Maryland, while prisoners of war, and whose remains were there buried, but subsequently removed to this section, where the individual . . . — Map (db m7050) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Buy Where You Can Work Campaign & Higher EducationPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
On Pennsylvania Avenue at McMechen Street on Pennsylvania Avenue.
Although the Pennsylvania Avenue of the 1920s was Baltimore’s premier shopping district for African Americans, many of the businesses that served them were owned by whites who refused to hire African Americans from the neighborhood. In 1933, . . . — Map (db m102023) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Cal Ripken, Sr.
Near 808 224th Street 0.1 miles west of Ellerslie Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
Cal Ripken, Sr. signed his first baseball contract in 1956. Over the next 36 years, he served as player, coach and manager within the Baltimore Orioles organization. Every step of the way, Cal Ripken, Sr. led by example - loyalty, hard work, . . . — Map (db m104271) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Camp CarrollFrom Plantation to Federal Camp
Near Washington Boulevard.
This land was part of a 2,568-acre tract named Georgia Plantation, that Charles Carroll purchased in 1732. By 1760, his son Charles Carroll, a lawyer, had constructed a Georgian summer home, Mount Clare. the Carroll family lived here until 1852. . . . — Map (db m2537) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Camp CarrollThe War Came by Train
Near West Pratt Street east of South Schroeder Street, on the right when traveling east.
Located approximately one mile west along the B&O Railroad's right-of-way was the site of Baltimore's largest Civil War training camp. Known variously throughout the War as Camp Carroll and Camp Cheesebrough, it was located on property once owned by . . . — Map (db m135970) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Camp Holabird
On Holabird Avenue at Dundalk Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Holabird Avenue.
Named for Quartermaster General Samuel B. Holabird (1826-1907) and established in 1917 as the Army's first motor transport training center and depot. Supplied World War I American Expeditionary Forces in France with Detroit-made vehicles. Trained . . . — Map (db m115239) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Canton House
On Water Street at South Street, on the right when traveling west on Water Street.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m127233) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Captain John O'Donnell1749-1805
On O'Donnell Street.
Captain John O’Donnell, the founder of the Canton Community, was a man of great vision and accomplishment. He initiated trade between Canton, China and Baltimore in 1785 operating his own merchant sailing vessels. This public square once the site of . . . — Map (db m62256) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Caretaker HouseCrimea Estate
On Eagle Drive.
1920 Eagle Drive, Leakin Park, Caretaker House dedicated to three generations of the Stanley Kirk family for their tireless hard work on the Crimea Estate/Leakin Park from 1895-1979.

Mayor Sheila Dixon, Baltimore City Department of Recreation . . . — Map (db m102653) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Carroll Hunting Lodge
On Greenspring Avenue north of Pimlico Road, on the left when traveling north.
This stone house, commonly known as the “Carroll Hunting Lodge,” is one of the oldest in the Mount Washington area, dating from about 1790. It stands on what was once a vast tract owned by Charles Carroll of Carrollton. Carroll was on . . . — Map (db m114584) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Carroll Mansion
On Front Street 0.1 miles north of Lombard Street, on the left when traveling south.
Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737–1832), the last surviving, and only Roman Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence, wintered here during the last twelve years of his life. Built circa 1808, the mansion is the grandest . . . — Map (db m3204) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Carroll Park
Near Washington Boulevard at Monroe Street.
Baltimore’s Park Commission purchased portions of the Mount Clare estate between 1890 and 1907 to provide a large landscaped park for the city’s southwestern neighborhoods. The Olmsted Brothers firm helped the city develop plans to protect the . . . — Map (db m41430) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Carroll Park at the Golf Course — Gwynns Falls Trail —
On Gwynns Falls Trail (Trailhead 6) west of Washington Blvd., on the left when traveling west.
Native Americans once traversed this stream where nearby at Gwynns Run in 1669, Richard Gwinn, the stream’s namesake, established a trading post. Next to the trail today is the nine-hole executive Carroll Park Golf Course, one of the five operated . . . — Map (db m41426) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Carrollton Viaduct
Near Washington Boulevard.
The Carrollton Viaduct carried the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad over the Gwynns Falls, its first malor stream crossing as it headed west from its Pratt Street terminus Completed in 1829, the 300-foot stone span is named for Charles Carroll of . . . — Map (db m6391) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Cast-Iron Façade
Near South Front Street.
The front of the Morton K. Blaustein City Life Exhibition Center is a unique example of recycling. The five cast-iron bays fronted a building at 218-226 S. Charles Street before it was demolished in 1976 to make way for Baltimore's Convention . . . — Map (db m97333) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Caulkers' Houses
On South Wolfe Street.
In the early 1780s Ann Bond Fell Giles laid out for development the area called Fell's Point, just south of the existing Fell's Prospect community. Development was in part to provide housing needed to meet the demands of the growing maritime . . . — Map (db m109369) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Cecilius Calvert1606   1675 — Fovnder of Maryland —
On Saint Paul Street (Maryland Route 2), on the right when traveling south.
Cecilivs Calvert Baron Baltimore of Baltimore in the Kingdom of Ireland•Absolvte Lord and Proprietary of the Provinces of Maryland and Avalon in America•Who on November 13, 1633 with the co-operation and assent of the first Colonists, proclaimed in . . . — Map (db m89251) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Chamber of Commerce Building
On Commerce Street south of Holliday Street, on the left when traveling south.
Built between 1904 and 1905, this Renaissance Revival building was once the commercial hub of Baltimore's grain trade. Standing five-stories tall and extending the length of a city block, the building was home to the Baltimore Chamber of Commerce, . . . — Map (db m127235) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — ChapelCrimea Estate
On Eagle Drive.
1919 Eagle Drive, Leakin Park, Chapel dedicated to Celeste Revillon Winans, 1823-1861 in memory of her commitment to feeding the hungry in Baltimore City.

Mayor Sheila Dixon, Baltimore City Department of Recreation and Parks, Friends of . . . — Map (db m102649) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Chapel of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Temple
Near North Paca Street.
This chapel designed by Maximilien Godefroy represents a unique combination of French Gothic and classical architecture; it was built of English brick and trimmed with Acquia Creek sandstone and stucco. The cornerstone was dedicated by Bishop . . . — Map (db m7187) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Charles Center & One Charles Center
On North Charles Street at West Lexington Street when traveling south on North Charles Street.
The 14-block Charles Center project, begun in 1958, was the first piece of Baltimore's nationally recognized downtown Renaissance. the 33-acre project was strategically placed between the financial district on the east side and the retail district . . . — Map (db m88236) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Charles H. Dorsey, Jr.(1930-1995)
On East Lexington Street at North Gay Street on East Lexington Street.
Family man, attorney, civic and church leader, mentor, lover of life, thinker, stargazer Continuing the family tradition, Charles H. Dorsey made the fight for justice his lifelong vocation. As a young man, he fought for civil rights with the . . . — Map (db m6292) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Cherry Hill
On South Hanover Street (Maryland Route 2), on the right when traveling north.
Part of the city but green as a suburb, Cherry Hill is a distinctive African American planned community. Cherry Hill was established to provide housing for blacks who moved to Baltimore to work in industries during World War II. Originally it . . . — Map (db m114590) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Chimney Corner Building
On East Centre Street.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Chimney Corner Building 1812 A.D. — Map (db m6130) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Christopher Columbus MemorialColumbus Piazza
On South President Street at Fawn Street on South President Street.
Front panel Christopher Columbus discover of America October 12, 1492. Dedicated to the City of Baltimore by the Italian American Organization United of Maryland and the Italian American Community of Baltimore in commemoration of the discovery of . . . — Map (db m103122) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Church Home and Hospital“I am a Massachusetts woman”
On Broadway 0.1 miles from Fayette Street, in the median.
Church Home and Hospital, formerly Washington Medical college, was where Edgar Allan Poe died on October 7, 1849, and where many doctors were trained who served in the Union and Confederate armies during the Civil War. On April 19, 1861, Adeline . . . — Map (db m2427) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Church Home and Hospital1857-1982
On North Charles Street at University Parkway on North Charles Street.
Church Home and Hospital and the Church Home and Hospital Nursing Alumnae Association celebrates 142 years of compassionate care to the infirmed, injured and aged.

“We won’t forget the ensign on the hill” Dedicated April 30, 2000. — Map (db m102835) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — CisternCarroll Mansion
On Front Street.
Archaeologists discovered a buried cistern two and one half feet below you. A cistern is a receptacle for holding water, especially rainwater.

In eighteenth-century Baltimore, water came from wells, creeks, and natural springs, which were . . . — Map (db m102929) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Cistern and Well
Fort McHenry was surrounded by water, but none of it was fit to drink. In the early years, soldiers rowed into Baltimore to fill casks with fresh well water. They also collected rainwater from the barracks' roofs in a cistern located in this corner . . . — Map (db m66631) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — City Center
On East Pratt Street at Light Street (Maryland Route 2), on the left when traveling east on East Pratt Street.
Just north of the Inner Harbor is Downtown's municipal, business and financial district, also referred to as City Center, a prime east coast location for corporate headquarters and financial institutions. City Center's most pervasive . . . — Map (db m115210) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — City Hall
On Holliday Street.
When City Hall was completed in 1875, it was admired as a marvel of style, elegance and technology. The Second Empire design was the first commission of 22-year old George Frederick. Wendel Bollman, a Baltimore engineer, designed the 227-foot high . . . — Map (db m102322) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Civil War Guardhouse
Near Fort Avenue.
Fort McHenry has had several guardhouses. This one, built in 1835 and enlarged in 1857, is one of the best preserved buildings in the star fort. Soldiers on duty in this room guarded military offenders in the adjacent cells. During the Civil . . . — Map (db m2590) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Civil War Magazine
Near E. Fort Avenue.
Larger cannon -- and more cannon -- came to Fort McHenry during the Civil War period. To provide safe storage for the additional gunpowder and ammunition, the Army built this magazine in 1864. From the inside it doesn't look especially strong, . . . — Map (db m66644) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Clarence and Parren MitchellBaltimore Black History
On Payson Street.
Clarence and Parren Mitchell grew up in Harlem Park, and fought for equality well beyond their West Baltimore neighborhood. In 1933, Clarence reported on an Eastern Shore lynching for The Afro-American newspaper. He came home transformed into an . . . — Map (db m101456) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Clover Hill(So named circa 1714)
On North Charles Street at University Parkway on North Charles Street.
Part of “Merryman’s Lott” 210 acres of virgin timberland granted by Lord Baltimore in 1688 to Charles Merryman, whose descendants farmed here until 1869. Stone house built in 19th century occupied by Bishops of Maryland since 1909, when . . . — Map (db m2452) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Colonel Charles Marshall1830-1902
On West Lanvale Street at Jenkins Street, on the right when traveling east on West Lanvale Street.
Chief of Staff to General Robert E. Lee at Appomattox. Later a political reformer and one of nineteenth-century Baltimore's "Seven Great Lawyers." — Map (db m6460) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Colonel George Armistead
Near Warren Street.
[front side] This monument is erected in honor of the gallant defender of Fort McHenry near this city during its bombardment by the British Fleet on the 13th and 14th September 1814. He died universally esteemed and regretted on the 25th of April . . . — Map (db m80930) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Commanding Officer’s Quarters
Near Fort Avenue.
The rooms on the left end of this building stood as a separate structure during the 1814 period. this was the residence of Major George Armistead, commanding officer and “Hero of Fort McHenry.” It was Armistead who directed the . . . — Map (db m2592) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Community Growth and FaithPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
On Wilson Street.
Communities grow in direct proportion to their access to capital. Potential homebuyers and business owners in Old West Baltimore needed access to money. In 1896, Everett J. Waring, along with some of Baltimore’s most prominent African Americans, . . . — Map (db m101990) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Confederate Soldiers and Sailors MonumentReconciling History — Baltimore's Confederate Monuments —
On Mount Royal Avenue. Reported permanently removed.
During the Civil War, approximately 60,000 Marylanders fought for the Union and 25,000 fought for the Confederacy. After the war, Confederate sympathizers erected monuments such as this one to recognize Confederate soldiers and sailors and to . . . — Map (db m101761) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Confederate Soldiers Memorial
On Wilkens Ave..
Erected to the memory of the Confederate Dead by the Loudon Park Confederate Memorial Association. 1870 — Map (db m106853) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Confederate Women of Maryland
On University Parkway. Reported permanently removed.
To the Confederate Women of Maryland 1861-1865 The Brave at Home In difficulty and danger regardless of self they fed the hungry, clothed the needy, nursed the wounded and comforted the dying. — Map (db m62307) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Confederate Women’s MonumentReconciling History — Baltimore's Confederate Monuments —
On University Parkway. Reported permanently removed.
Dedicated in 1917, this monument was part of a national movement spearheaded by the United Confederate Veterans to place a monument recognizing the sacrifices of Confederate women in the capitals of thirteen Southern states. It was founded by the . . . — Map (db m101757) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Continental Trust Building
On North Calvert Street (Maryland Route 2), on the right when traveling north on North Calvert Street.
The Continental Trust Building, constructed in 1902, is the only building in Baltimore designed by Daniel H. Burnham, a major figure in the Commercial Style that developed in Chicago at the turn of the century and produced the American skyscraper. . . . — Map (db m6442) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Courting JusticePennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
On Division Street at West Lanvale Street on Division Street.
Working with the Mutual United Brotherhood of Liberty (MUBL), a small group of African American lawyers living in Baltimore were committed to erasing racism within the law. But first they had to fight for the right to practice law in Maryland, . . . — Map (db m101687) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Crafting a LegacyStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
On Pratt Street.
In 1813, Mary Pickersgill’s flag-making business was commissioned to sew a garrison flag and a smaller storm flag for Fort McHenry, Mary’s mother, daughter, nieces, and African American servants helped complete the task in about seven weeks.

On . . . — Map (db m79832) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Creating an African American NeighborhoodPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
On West Lafayette Avenue at Druid Hill Avenue on West Lafayette Avenue.
The creation of Baltimore’s premier African American neighborhood, which began with African Americans buying houses along Druid Hill Avenue, sparked segregation battles and practices throughout the country and the world. Dramatic change from . . . — Map (db m101714) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Creating an American Culture: The Golden Age of BaltimoreMount Vernon Cultural Walk
On Cathedral Street at Mulberry Street on Cathedral Street.
During the early 19th century, Baltimore became, for a brief time, America’s second largest and fastest growing city. Baltimore led the world in shipbuilding, sail-cloth production, and flour milling. On Cathedral Hill, Baltimore’s business leaders . . . — Map (db m107314) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Crimea
On Eagle Drive, on the left when traveling east.
To escape the intolerable heat of Baltimore summers, Thomas Dekay Winans built this country house on land which he had purchased in 1855. Winans had recently returned from Russia, where he made a fortune supervising construction of the . . . — Map (db m6404) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Crimea Estate
Near North Franklintown Road.
In the mid-1800s this meadow and hillside were part of Thomas Winans' country estate, the Crimea. After returning from Russia, where he helped build the St. Petersburg-Moscow railroad, Winans established this estate. He and his Russian-born wife, . . . — Map (db m6336) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Crimea MansionThe Arrest of Ross Winans
On Eagle Drive.
On May 11, 1861, Union Gen. Benjamin F. Butler's troops occupied the railroad depot southwest of Baltimore at Relay, where a spur of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's main line turned south to Washington. The seizure of Relay yielded a surprise . . . — Map (db m6403) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — CSX Corporation
Near West Pratt Street east of South Schroeder Street, on the right when traveling east.
This tablet is placed here in recognition of the enormous contribution made by CSX Corporation to the understanding and preservation of America's Railroad Legacy by its establishment of the B&O Railroad Museum as an independent and . . . — Map (db m135947) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Curt Richter, Ph. D.1894-1988
On West Lafayette Avenue near Bolton Street, on the right when traveling east.
Discoverer of biorhythms / the biological clock. Head of Johns Hopkins psychobiology laboratory. Garry Moore 1915-1993 *** Host of 1950s and 1960s television variety shows. — Map (db m6476) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Daniel Coit Gilman1831-1908
On Eutaw Place at West Lanvale Street, on the right when traveling south on Eutaw Place.
First President of Johns Hopkins University. First director of John Hopkins Hospital. A pathfinder in American graduate and professional education. — Map (db m6559) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Davidge Hall
On Lombard Street at Greene Street, on the right when traveling west on Lombard Street.
Davidge Hall, constructed in 1812, is named for the first dean of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Dr. John B. Davidge. Noted for its unique classical appearance, it is the oldest building in the country used continuously for medical . . . — Map (db m15057) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Dickeyville's Historic Legacy
On Windsor Mill Road at Weatheredsville Road, on the right when traveling west on Windsor Mill Road.
Dickeyville has been known by several other names - Tschudi, Franklinville, Wetheredville, Hillsdale - depending on who owned the grist, paper, or textile mills powered by the Gwynns Falls. Both the Wethereds and Dickeys ran their mill operations as . . . — Map (db m6339) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Direct Hit
About 2:00 p.m. on September 13, 1814, gunners of the Maryland Militia under Captain J.H. Nicholson were waiting out the British bombardment behind this parapet. It was futile to return fire because their 21 pounder gun did not have the range to hit . . . — Map (db m34591) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Baltimore: Four Centuries of ChangeHeritage Walk
On East Pratt Street.
Baltimore began as a humble waterfront village in 1729. It burst into prominence as America expanded westward, forging a role as a major trading and transportation center that linked the nation’s interior to the world. From a mere 25 wooden houses . . . — Map (db m104058) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Baltimore: The Monumental CityHeritage Walk
Near North Calvert Street (Maryland Route 2) north of East Fayette Street, in the median.
The Battle Monument was America's first public war memorial and the first since antiquity to honor the common soldier. Designed by Maximilian Godefroy, its construction began in 1815, shortly after the event it commemorates: in 1814, after the . . . — Map (db m89395) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Baltimore’s Changing SkylineHeritage Walk
On East Baltimore Street at South Calvert Street on East Baltimore Street.
Baltimore’s central business district has constantly reinvented itself in response to changes in building technologies, business practices, and architectural styles. Originally, detached houses that doubled as shops and offices lined the streets. . . . — Map (db m103260) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Historic Jonestown: An Epic Story of ChangeHeritage Walk
On East Pratt Street.
The landscape of Historic Jonestown reveals four centuries of American History. From 18th and 19th century landmarks to vestiges of an immigrant past, from signs of 20th ceentury decline to a bold 21st century rebirth, its streetscapes tell an epic . . . — Map (db m108922) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Holliday Street: A Stage for Culture, Politics, and WorshipHeritage Walk
On E. Lexington Street at Holliday Street on E. Lexington Street.
The inscription on the main text is not legible.

(The inscription under the images on the left) 1st image For more than a century the Holliday Street Theater entertained Baltimoreans from a site across the street from City Hall. The original . . . — Map (db m102450) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Little Italy: A Taste of the PastHeritage Walk
On Albemarle Street at Eastern Avenue on Albemarle Street.
Baltimore’s vibrant and diverse neighborhoods evolved to accommodate a constant influx of newcomers searching for opportunity. Between 1830 and 1917, more than two million immigrants landed in Baltimore, which was second only to New York as a port . . . — Map (db m102944) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discovering the Jones FallsHeritage Walk — Powering America's Industrial Revolution —
On East Pratt Street just west of Falls Avenue.
Baltimore’s industry and trade grew concurrently, a partnership that fueled the city’s tremendous 18th and 19th century growth. You are standing at the mouth of the Jones Falls, a river that flows through Baltimore into the Inner Harbor’s Patapsco . . . — Map (db m115214) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Diversity in a Segregated CommunityPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
On Wilson Street at Pennsylvania Avenue on Wilson Street.
The sudden rise of Old West Baltimore’s premier African American community occurred on a foundation of diversity. Even though it was segregated from many white areas, it was still made up of a variety of people. African Americans from all . . . — Map (db m101996) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Douglas L. FrostVice President Development 1966-2006
On Cathedral Street.
Transforming Mount Royal Station captured his imagination. Fostering art, artists, and community captured his creativity. Strengthening the College has become his legacy.

Frost Plaza Names in gratitude for his contributions to shaping . . . — Map (db m102743) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Downtown
On North Charles Street at Saratoga Street on North Charles Street.
Welcome to Downtown Baltimore-a unique City with southern charm and northern distinction.

Known the world over for being friendly and hospitable, it’s no wonder Baltimore is often referred to as “Charm City.” A place which takes a . . . — Map (db m103921) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Dr. Hiltgunt Margret Zassenhaus
Near Holliday Street at East Lexington Street.
July 10, 1916 Hamburg, Germany November 20, 2004 Baltimore, MD Physician, Humanist, Author Working as an interpreter with Scandinavian political prisoners held by the Third Reich during World War II, she bravely afforded many medical aid and . . . — Map (db m2710) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Dr. William V. Lockwood
On East Pratt Street west of Market Place, on the right when traveling west.
Dr. William V. Lockwood was the first Vice President Emeritus of Baltimore Community College. His vision, uncompromising work ethic, and life long devotion to educational advancement made him instrumental in transforming the dream of the Harbor . . . — Map (db m115221) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Druid HillStrategic Union Encampment
On Swann Drive at Druid Park Lake Drive, on the right when traveling north on Swann Drive.
Within a year of the April 1861 Baltimore Riots, the first of several U.S. Army camps and fortifications began encircling Druid Hill, and important location high above the city and adjacent to the Northern Central Railroad. The 114th and 150th New . . . — Map (db m7594) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Dugan-Hollins Family Vault
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
This burial vault holds the remains of nine members of two prominent Baltimore families whose live were intertwined through business partnerships and marriage. Cumberland Dugan (1747-1836), the patriarch, left Ireland at age 19, settling briefly . . . — Map (db m6640) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Early Civil Rights EraPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
On Eutaw Place at West Lafayette Avenue on Eutaw Place.
In pre-Civil War Baltimore, African Americans—such as Frederick Douglas, Daniel Coker, and William Watkins--- wrote some of the earliest and most important abolitionist treatises. After the Civil War, African Americans founded the Douglass . . . — Map (db m102079) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Early Industries
On Hurley Avenue 0 miles north of Wilkens Avenue (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling north.
Industries have flourished here in the lower Gwynns Falls Valley since the early 1700s, when the Baltimore Iron Works Co. turned iron into nails and anchors and Dr. Charles Carroll's gristmills ground wheat into flour. The Wilkens Curled Hair . . . — Map (db m6393) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Early Transportation Routes
On West Baltimore Street at Ellicott Driveway, on the left when traveling west on West Baltimore Street.
The Gwynns Falls Trail follows a valley that has served as both a transportation avenue and an obstacle since the days of American Indians and European colonists. Early roads were privately owned turnpikes that charged tolls; they became public . . . — Map (db m6352) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Eastern High School Monument
On East 33rd Street.
(Panel on the left) The Good Shepherd in honor of: Lizette Woodworth Reese, Poetess, Grace Trunbull, Sculptress.

(Panel on the right) Dedicated by Eastern High School graduates in honor and memory of their teachers and alumni 1844-1986. — Map (db m102703) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Ebenezer AME Church
On Montgomery Street.
This church is part of the African Methodist Episcopal congregation, the oldest independent black institution in the country. The origins of the A.M.E. church date back to the late 18th century, when blacks withdrew from the parent Methodist Church . . . — Map (db m128640) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Edgar Allan Poe House
On Amity Street 0.1 miles north of Fayatte Street, on the right when traveling north. Reported missing.
“The little house in the lowly street with the lovely name.” This was how Edgar Allan Poe described 203 Amity Street, where he lived from 1832 to 1835 with his grandmother, aunt, and cousin Virginia, whom he married in 1836. While . . . — Map (db m2506) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Edgar Allan Poe House
On Amity Street.
For several years, Edgar Allan Poe shared this modest home with his invalid grandmother (Elizabeth Cairnes), his first cousins (Virginia and Henry Celmm), and his aunt (Maria Clemm) who was desperately poor but still willing to provide a home for . . . — Map (db m101538) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Edith Hamilton1867-1963
On Park Avenue south of West Lafayette Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Classicist author of The Greek Way. A leader in women's day-schooling First headmistress of Bryn Mawr School. *** Alice Hamilton, M.D. 1869-1970 Founder of industrial hygiene, pioneer in removing lead from paint. Harvard's first woman . . . — Map (db m6466) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Educating Baltimore: Music, History and AcademiaMount Vernon Cultural Walk
On North Howard Street.
Across Howard Street, Johns Hopkins University opened in 1876 as America’s first research university. The University attracted and trained some of the best minds of the 19th century: philosophers Josiah Royce and Charles Sanders Pierce; physician . . . — Map (db m102805) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Eli Siegel1902-1978
Near Swann Drive.
Great American Poet, Philosopher Founder of Aesthetic Realism Quiet and green was the grass of the field, The sky was whole in brightness, And O, a bird was flying, high, there in the sky, So gently, so carelessly and fairly. There . . . — Map (db m7595) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Ellicott Flour Mills
Near Frederick Avenue (Maryland Route 144), on the right when traveling west.
The Ellicott Driveway portion of the Gwynns Falls trail follows the route of a millrace that carried water to a flour-milling complex owned by the Ellicott family. In the 1800s, 26 gristmills along the Gwynns Falls and other on the Jones Falls and . . . — Map (db m5533) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Enoch Pratt Free Library
On Cathedral Street at West Mulberry Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling south on Cathedral Street.
In 1882, the merchant Enoch Pratt, wishing to make a gift to his adopted city which would benefit all of her citizens, gave Baltimore $1,058,000 to establish a public library. The original building fronted on Mulberry Street. Designed by the . . . — Map (db m5561) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Entering Fort McHenry ... A Deadly Crossfire
Near E. Fort Avenue.
You are standing in the most vulnerable point of Fort McHenry, and potentially the most deadly. The main entrance was the weakest part of the fort's walls. Fearing a British land attack, the defenders built the Ravelin (the structure to your right) . . . — Map (db m66509) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Entering the Automobile Age: The Horseless RevolutionMount Vernon Cultural Walk
On Mount Royal Avenue at North Charles Street on Mount Royal Avenue.
The development of the nation depended on transportation, and Baltimore led America in building the first long-distance railroad, one of the earliest commuter rail systems, and one of the first electric streetcar systems. Baltimore also contributed . . . — Map (db m102865) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Ernest Stebbins, M.D.1901-1987
On West Lanvale Street at Park Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Lanvale Street.
Early advisor to the World Health Organization. New York City Health Commissioner. Long time dean of Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health. — Map (db m6581) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Etting Cemetery
On West North Avenue (U.S. 1) west of Woodbrook Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Etting Cemetery Founded - 1799 The oldest Hebrew burial ground in Baltimore — Map (db m135065) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Eubie Blake National Jazz Institute and Cultural Center
On North Howard Street.
The Eubie Blake National Jazz Institute and Cultural Center, founded in 1981 was a rich history which started over 25 years ago when the organization began as a Model Cities Arts Program. The estate of James Hubert Blake, better known as . . . — Map (db m102810) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Evergreen on the FallsNational Register of Historic Places
On Falls Road (Maryland Route 25) 0.1 miles south of 36th Street, on the right when traveling south.
Surveyed for John Walsh in 1754, large square cupola once crowned brick mansion. Built in Italianate style c.1860 by Henry Snyder. Leased after 1864 to James Hooper, owner of Meadow Mill. Estate was sold in 1870 to David Carroll, co-owner of Mount . . . — Map (db m2520) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Evolution of Fort McHenry
Near E Fort Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
After the Battle of Baltimore in 1814, Fort McHenry continued as a military post for more than a hundred years. The U.S. Army constructed buildings outside the star fort and modified existing structures to serve the needs of the time. During the . . . — Map (db m10881) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Exercising Freedom: Overcoming Racial and Religious BoundariesMount Vernon Cultural Walk
On North Charles Street at Hamilton Street on North Charles Street.
Contrary to Baltimore’s 19th century conservative appearance, Baltimoreans created progressive, diverse communities that expanded the nation’s racial and religious freedom. By the time of the Civil War, Baltimore had the largest free African . . . — Map (db m102390) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Exodus 1947: "The ship That Launched a Nation"
Near this spot, the Baltimore steamer President Warfield began her epic voyage into history. Built in 1928 as the flagship of the Old Bay Line, she ran nightly cruises between Baltimore and Norfolk. In 1943 she was given to Britain under the wartime . . . — Map (db m59809) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Expanding the American Intellect: Icons and IconoclastsMount Vernon Cultural Walk
On West Franklin Street at Cathedral Street, on the left when traveling west on West Franklin Street.
“My library,” Enoch Pratt said, “shall be for all, rich and poor without distinction of race or color, who, when properly accredited, can take out the books if they will handle them carefully and return them.” In 1886, with . . . — Map (db m88270) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Experimental Carriages
Near Fort Avenue.
Funds for developing new weapons decreased after the Civil War, forcing the Army to upgrade the cannon they already had. These three 19-inch Rodman gun tubes were probably made during the 1870’s, but their carriages are improved versions . . . — Map (db m2637) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — F. Scott Fitzgerald1896-1940
On Park Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Author of The Great Gatsby (1925). Works published while he resided here: Tender is the Night (1934), Raps At Reveille (1935), and essays (1934-1936) later collected in The Crack-Up. — Map (db m6473) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fame, Fortune and Financial Scandal
Near West Fayette Street at North Greene Street.
The Calhoun-Buchanan vault holds the remains of 29 members of two of Baltimore's leading Scots-Irish Presbyterian families spanning five or six generations. The neo-classical granite vault is probably the work of Robert Mills (1781-1855), the . . . — Map (db m6637) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Family and Children’s Services of Central Maryland
On West Lanvale Street.
Welcome to the Memorial Garden of Family and Children’s Services of Central Maryland. In Honor of Families and Children and their strivings to succeed-enter to enjoy, reflect, celebrate, remember and heal.

Established September 3, 1998 on the . . . — Map (db m101956) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Faust Brothers Building
On West Baltimore Street.
When constructed in 1870, the Faust Brothers Building incorporated the latest innovations in building construction methods and materials. The building’s intricate front and rear facades, composed entirely in cast iron, were once common in downtown . . . — Map (db m101784) HM

614 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 414
Paid Advertisement