Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Historical Markers in Florida

3594 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 3394
 
Alachua County Training School Marker Side 2 image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, June 17, 2016
Alachua County Training School Marker Side 2
Florida (Alachua County), Alachua — F-823 — Alachua County Training School
(Side 1) The Alachua County Training School was built at this location as the first school for blacks in the City of Alachua in 1922. In 1920, a delegation of courageous black men from Alachua led by Jack Postell, who could neither read nor . . . — Map (db m151120) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Alachua — F-206 — City of Alachua
Upon completion to Gainesville of the Savannah, Florida and Western Railway in May 1884, citizens from the former county seat at Newnansville were among those who moved to the present site of Alachua which was near the railroad. The city is located . . . — Map (db m65458) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Alachua — Newnansville Methodist Church Site
On this site the Newnansville Methodist Church was founded in 1822 Presented by Alachua Methodist Church 1972 — Map (db m56180) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Alachua — F-265 — Newnansville Town Site
At the end of 1824, Alachua County was organized as a political unit of the new Territory of Florida. The Seminole inhabitants of the Alachua region had recently been ordered to a reservation, and land was available there for white settlers. . . . — Map (db m65513) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — F-205 — Archer
When Europeans first arrived in this area in the 16th century, the inhabitants were Timucuan Indians. In 1774, traveling botanist William Bartram visited Seminole Indians nearby. In the 1850's a town called Deer Hammock was established here, . . . — Map (db m69979) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — F-972 — Archer School Gymnasium
The Alachua County Board of Public Instruction contracted with the firm of Winston and Perry to build a 3-story brick building for the Archer School, west of an old wood frame building, in 1917. The building housed grades 1-10 until 1925 when the . . . — Map (db m120479) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — Archer Veterans
In Memory of the Men and Women From the Archer Community who have given their lives in the service of our country. Dedicated to all Veterans who served in the United States Armed Forces with Devotion, Loyalty, Honor and their . . . — Map (db m70119) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — F-960 — Bethlehem Presbyterian Church
Bethlehem Presbyterian Church was first organized in 1866 at Wacahoota, a farming community southeast of Archer. The early members were pioneer families from South Carolina. Their first pastor, the Rev. William McCormick, founded other pioneer . . . — Map (db m150976) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — F-320 — David Levy Yulee and Cotton Wood Plantation
Side 1 David Levy Yulee was born at St. Thomas, West Indies, in 1810. He attended school in Virginia from 1819 until 1827 when he went to Micanopy to work on one of the plantations of his father, Moses Elias Levy. He studied law and was . . . — Map (db m97513) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — F-420 — Thomas Gilbert Pearson1873-1943
Thomas Gilbert Pearson was an ornithologist, college professor, and world leader of the bird preservation movement. Pearson grew up in Archer, where he collected bird skins and eggs and taught himself ornithology to pay for his schooling at Guilford . . . — Map (db m70637) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Earleton — F-625 — Earleton, Florida
Earleton is named for General Elias B. Earle (1821-1893) who received government land grants in Florida for his service in the U.S./Mexican War (1846-48). Born into a prominent South Carolina family, Gen. Earle fought in the Palmetto Regiment, . . . — Map (db m41263) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Evinston — F-317 — Evinston Community Store and Post Office / History of Evinston, Florida
Evinston Community Store and Post Office The Evinston community store, originally a warehouse, was built of heart pine in 1884 by W.P. Shettleworth. it was bought by Joseph Wolfenden, who first operated it as a store. The post office, . . . — Map (db m54240) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — "The Great Endurance Run"
On November 23, 1909, the "Autoists" participating in "The Great Endurance Run" were treated to a gala banquet and overnight stay at "The White House Hotel" which was located at this exact site. This event ended the first day of driving for the . . . — Map (db m68316) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — A Cattle EconomyFive Centuries of Ranching on the Prairie
Hacienda de la Chua Organized cattle ranching at the prairie began here in the 1600s. You are standing at the site of the largest ranch in Spanish Florida, Hacienda de Ia Chua (right). Hacienda de la Chua was the main supplier of beef to St. . . . — Map (db m126488) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — African Studies
The Center for African Studies was founded in 1964 to expand interdisciplinary instruction, research, and professional exchanges related to Africa. With strong support from UF and longterm U.S. Department of Education funding, it has grown from a . . . — Map (db m135959) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-809 — Alachua General Hospital
Historic Alachua General Hospital (AGH) stood on this site for nearly 82 years. A county or community-supported venture for much of its history, the hospital served the needs of Alachua County citizens for generations as a respected health care . . . — Map (db m93167) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Alachua Sink
The Alachua Sink, a named likely derived from the Potano word meaning “jug,” is the deepest of Paynes Prairie’s sinkholes and acts as a conduit for water entering the Floridan aquifer at a rate of up to 6 million gallons per day. . . . — Map (db m126294) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-191 — Alachula County Courthouse
The Alachua County Commission, by authority of the Florida Legislature, selected this site for a courthouse in 1854, moving the county seat from Newnansville. The first courthouse was a frame building completed in 1856. It was demolished on the . . . — Map (db m54997) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Boulware Springs Water Works Building
The Boulware Springs Water Works Building is located directly adjacent to the brick reservoir for the springs, on a site of gently rolling to steep topography at the northern edge of Paynes Prairie. Boulware Springs, free-flowing and . . . — Map (db m70587) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Bryan Hall
Nathan Philemon Bryan was born in Ft. Mason, Florida, in 1872. In 1893 he earned a bachelor’s degree from Emory College, followed in 1895 by a law degree from Washington and Lee University. That year he opened a law practice in Jacksonville, . . . — Map (db m128913) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Capt. Jack R. HarveyUniversity of Florida
The Freedom Tree with the vision of universal freedom for all mankind this tree is dedicated to Capt. Jack R. Harvey and all Prisoners of War and Missing In Action 1973 — Map (db m150528) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Carlos Alvarez1969–1971 — NCAA Football Hall of Fame —
Arguably the best wide receiver to ever come through the University of Florida, Alvarez was named an inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2011, 40 years after he played his final game for the Gators. During his sophomore year, . . . — Map (db m150611) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Century Tower CarillonUniversity of Florida
“Call together those who are studious of all good things both human and divine” The Bells of the Century Tower Carillon were cast in 1976 by Koninklijke Eijsbouts of Asten, the Netherlands, and were first rung . . . — Map (db m151167) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Charles Bachman1928-1932 — NCAA Football Hall of Fame —
In 1928, his first season at the helm for the Gators, Bachman led the team to an 8–1 record, best in school history at that time. He finished his fifth season in 1932 with a career record of 27- 18 -3. Bachman was also Head Coach at . . . — Map (db m150589) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-794 — Chestnut Funeral Home
The Chestnut family in Gainesville has served the mortuary needs of the African American community in Alachua County since 1914. Charles S. Chestnut, Sr. was a founding member of the Florida Morticians Association in the early 1900s. The business . . . — Map (db m110984) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Children’s Literature CollectionUniversity of Florida
The Baldwin Library of Historical Children’s Literature, consisting of more than 100,000 books written for children since the 17th century, is one of the largest collections of English language children’s books in the world. UF . . . — Map (db m150868) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-163 — City of Gainesville
Designated the County Seat in 1854, and incorporated as a City in 1869, Gainesville takes its name from General Edmund Gaines, captor of Aaron Burr and commander of U.S. Army troops in Florida during the Second Seminole War. The town was the fourth . . . — Map (db m58133) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Confederate Soldier Memorial(Gainesville, Florida)
(North face) In Memory Of The Confederate Dead 1861 1865 (East face) "They Fell For Us and For Them Should Fall The Tears Of A Nation's Grief." (West face) They Counted The Cost And In Defence . . . — Map (db m54998) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Dale Van Sickel1927-1929 — NCAA Football Hall of Fame —
Dale Van Sickel was a swift and sure-handed receiver on offense and a gifted defensive player during the late 1920s. During his three seasons with the Gators, they won 23 of 29 games and he became Florida’s first All-America and first Hall of . . . — Map (db m150581) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Danny Wuerffel1993-1996 — NCAA Football Hall of Fame —
Perhaps the most decorated player in Florida’s football history, Wuerffel was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 2013. He was Florida’s second Heisman Trophy winner in 1996 while quarterbacking the Gators to the consensus National . . . — Map (db m150616) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Devil's MillhopperRegistered Natural Landmark
Devil’s Millhopper has been designated a Registered Natural Landmark This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the Nation’s natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of man’s environment . . . — Map (db m125200) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Doug Dickey1970–1978 — NCAA Football Hall of Fame —
Doug Dickey grew up in Gainesville and played quarterback for the Gators from 1951-53. He began his coaching career at Tennessee, where he coached for six seasons. In 1970, Dickey became the Head Coach for his alma mater and led the Gators to a . . . — Map (db m150608) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-166 — East Florida Seminary
Founded as the Gainesville Academy before the Civil War and later renamed, the East Florida Seminary served Gainesville's need for higher education until the University of Florida was created by the Florida Legislature in 1905. The Seminary school . . . — Map (db m58007) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Emerson Alumni HallUniversity of Florida
Emerson Alumni Hall is made possible by William “Bill” and Jane Emerson, both of whom epitomize the Gator spirit. Their vision was that “Emerson Alumni Hall assist young people into the future and help many alumni find their way . . . — Map (db m150548) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Emmitt Smith1987–1989 — NCAA Football Hall of Fame —
A unanimous first-team All-America selection, Smith finished seventh in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1989 and ninth in 1987. He was a three-time first-team All-SEC pick, the SEC Player of the Year in 1989 and the SEC Freshman of the year in 1987. . . . — Map (db m150609) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-805 — Evergreen Cemetery
Evergreen Cemetery, known locally as "This Wondrous Place," began with the burial of a baby girl in 1856. The infant, Elizabeth Thomas, was the daughter of wealthy cotton merchant James T. Thomas and his wife, Elizabeth Jane Hall Thomas. The baby . . . — Map (db m93852) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-164 — First Gainesville Skirmish / Battle of Gainesville
First Gainesville Skirmish The first Civil War gunfire in Gainesville's streets came on February 15, 1864, when a raiding party of 50 men from the 40th Massachusetts Cavalry entered the City to attempt the capture of two trains. The raid was . . . — Map (db m57122) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Flavet VillagesUniversity of Florida
Known as the GI Bill, the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944 provided funding for veterans to attend college. Thousands flocked to UF, many bringing spouses and children with them. By 1946, veterans made up nearly two-thirds of the student . . . — Map (db m150566) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Florida 4-H
Head, Heart, Hands, and Health Florida 4-H began as a program to teach farming methods to rural youth and became a community-based program that taught millions of young Floridians how to Learn By Doing. In 1909, UF Dean of Agriculture J.J. . . . — Map (db m135971) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Florida Extension
Since the early 1900s, the University of Florida has been sharing research discoveries and education programs with the people of Florida through its Extension Service. Faculty from the Florida Agricultural Experiment Station organized farmers' . . . — Map (db m93830) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Florida FieldUniversity of Florida
Florida Field Department of Florida Dedicated to those Floridians who made the Supreme Sacrifice in the World War April 6, 1917 — November 11, 1918 The historical record of the names of these Florida men is inscribed . . . — Map (db m151487) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Florida Museum
The Florida Museum traces its roots to the 1890s at Florida Agricultural College in Lake City. In 1906, the collections moved to the UF campus in Gainesville. On May 30, 1917, the Florida State Museum became the state's official natural history . . . — Map (db m134906) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — 19 — Forced into ServiceFlorida De Soto Trail — August 13, 1539 —
It’s August 13, 1539… Hernando de Soto and his scouting party are passing through the Indian villages of Utinamocharra located just south of here – My army of more than 700 men follow behind. We will march quickly through . . . — Map (db m126581) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-201 — Fort Clarke
Near this site was located Fort Clarke, originally a U.S. Army post during the Seminole War, and afterwards a settlement. The name is preserved in nearby Fort Clarke Church. At this site crossed the early settlement and military road connecting the . . . — Map (db m65191) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Gainesville Regional Airport
The City of Gainesville began construction of this airport in April of 1940 as a project of the depression era Works Progress Administration. With WWII looming, construction was taken over by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1941. Initial . . . — Map (db m101411) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Gainesville’s Only Artesian Spring
Located below is Gainesville’s only artesian spring. Tapped directly with a pipe in 1898, the springs provided the City’s only water source for many years. In 1905, Gainesville’s plentiful water supply was used to entice the University of . . . — Map (db m70590) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-473 — Gainesville's Railroads / Past Railroads of Gainesville
Gainesville's Railroads The coming of the Florida Railroad opened up the interior of Florida for both settlement and trading and helped establish Gainesville. On February 1, 1859 the Florida Railroad entered town and connected Fernandina . . . — Map (db m55038) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Gatorade's Birthplace
Gatorade, the sports drink that started an industry, was invented at the UF College of Medicine by a team of researchers led by Dr. Robert Cade. Gatorade was first field tested in a football scrimmage near this site and was first used in an October . . . — Map (db m120371) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — George T. Harrell
George T. Harrell, founding dean of UF's College of Medicine in 1956, was the first individual to organize and open two academic medical centers. A pioneering planner who spent his career working in new medical schools. Harrell's detailed plans . . . — Map (db m135968) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Griffin/Floyd HallUniversity of Florida
Ben Hill Griffin, Jr. (1910-1990), legendary citrus pioneer, rancher, and Florida businessman, was born in Polk County and grew up in Frostproof, Florida. He studied agriculture at the University of Florida but withdrew in 1933 to take over a . . . — Map (db m151060) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Grinter Hall(1902 – 1993) — Unversity of Florida —
Linton Elias Grinter served as the Dean of the Graduate School and Director of Research from 1952 until 1969. He received his doctoral degree in civil engineering from the University of Illinois in 1926 and had a distinguished career as a . . . — Map (db m151283) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Health Professions Pioneer
When the College of Health Related Services opened in 1958, it was the first college of health professions located in an academic health center. Led by Dean Darrel Mase, the college joined the emerging professions of occupational therapy, physical . . . — Map (db m135966) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-548 — Historic Haile Homestead At Kanapaha Plantation
One of the oldest houses in Alachua County, the Historic Haile Homestead was the home of Thomas Evans Haile, his wife Esther Serena Chesnut Haile and 14 of their children. The Hailes came here from Camden, South Carolina in 1854 to establish a . . . — Map (db m70202) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-264 — Hogtown Settlement/Fort Hogtown
(Front) Hogtown Settlement Near this site was located Hogtown, one of the earliest settlements in Alachua County. It was originally an Indian village which in 1824 had fourteen inhabitants. Hogtown settlement is also mentioned in . . . — Map (db m150806) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — IFAS
In commemoration of the Bicentennial Year of the United States of America, this plaque is dedicated to the faculty and staff of the University of Florida's Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences who since 1884 have served Florida and its . . . — Map (db m135962) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Israel in Your BackyardUniversity of Florida
In the 2008-2009 school year, UF Hillel set out on a mission to educate students at the University of Florida about a side of Israel rarely seen by creating a yearlong initiative to educate students about Israel’s contributions to the . . . — Map (db m151486) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Jack Youngblood1968–1970 — NCAA Football Hall of Fame —
Regarded as the best defensive end in Gator history, Youngblood was named to the All-SEC Team for the decade of the 1970’s. He was a rugged competitor who went on to become an All-Pro star with the Los Angeles Rams after being a first-round draft . . . — Map (db m150607) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — James Erik SuhNaval Special Warfare Operator Second Class — Unversity of Florida —
1999 University of Florida graduate and Navy Seal who gave his life to save his fellow Seals during combat Operation Red Wings in support of Operation Enduring Freedom on June 28, 2005 in Kunar Province Afghanistan. This memorial is . . . — Map (db m150456) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — James W. Norman HallUniversity of Florida
Raised on a farm called Shady Nook in Hartwell, Georgia, James W. Norman was urged by his father, William, to follow in his footsteps after graduating from high school. “A year between the plow handles never hurt anybody!” his . . . — Map (db m150925) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-402 — Jesse Johnson Finley
Jesse Johnson Finley was born in Wilson County, Tennessee, November 18, 1812 and educated in Lebanon, Tennessee. After service as a captain in the Seminole War of 1836, he studied law and was admitted to the bar. During a ten year period he served . . . — Map (db m93855) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Jim and Alexis Pugh HallUniversity of Florida
Mr. and Mrs. Pugh are recognized as shinning examples of philanthropy and community development throughout Central Florida. Jim Pugh earned his bachelor’s degree in building construction from the University of Florida in 1963. He then founded . . . — Map (db m151195) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — John James Tigert1882 - 1965 — University of Florida —
Dr. Tigert, the third president of the University of Florida, was a native of Nashville. He was Tennessee’s first Rhodes Scholar, graduating from Vanderbilt University, the institution founded by his grandfather. He was serving as U.S. . . . — Map (db m150919) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-321 — Josiah T. Walls
Born in 1842 to slave parents in Winchester, Va., little is known of Josiah T. Walls' early life. After a short term of Confederate service, he enlisted in the Third Regiment, U.S. Colored Troops in 1863. Transferred to Picolata on the St. Johns . . . — Map (db m55400) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-735 — Kanapaha Presbyterian Church
In 1857, a group of Sea Island cotton planters from South Carolina who settled near here called an organizational meeting to establish Kanapaha Presbyterian Church. The Reverend William J. McCormick (1821-1883) was recruited from South Carolina to . . . — Map (db m111045) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Keene-Flint HallUniversity of Florida
First known as Science Hall, this building opened in 1910. It housed classes in physics, chemistry, botany, horticulture, zoology, bacteriology and pharmacy. In 1955 the building was renamed Flint Hall in honor of Edward Rawson Flint. Dr. Flint . . . — Map (db m151253) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Krishna LunchUniversity of Florida
On July 29, 1971, A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, founder of the Hare Krishna Movement, addressed students here and inspired them to start Krishna Lunch. Since then, the Lunch has nourished the UF community with millions of vegetarian . . . — Map (db m151251) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Latin American StudiesUniversity of Florida
Established in 1930 as the institute of Inter-American Affairs, the UF Center for Latin American Studies is the nation’s oldest academic program dedicated to the interdisciplinary study of the Americas. The Plaza of the Americas was dedicated at . . . — Map (db m150874) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Leigh HallUniversity of Florida
Chemistry classes first met in Thomas Hall and then in Keene/Flint Hall (Science Hall). With growing enrollment, more classroom and laboratory space was needed. Construction began in 1925 for a new building for chemistry and pharmacy. It opened . . . — Map (db m151072) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Living Links to Florida's Past
The Spanish explorers brought cattle and horses to Florida when they visited in the 1500s. When the Spanish left, the cattle and horses stayed. Today's cracker cattle and horses are direct descendants of those animals. They are a link to all of the . . . — Map (db m126399) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Major General John R Alison(1912-2011)
John Richardson "Johnny" Alison was born in Micanopy, Florida, on November 12, 1912. He was a highly decorated flying ace and served in both theaters of World War II. Johnny Alison graduated from Gainesville High School in 1931 and the University of . . . — Map (db m101412) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Manning J. Dauer, Jr.University of Florida
Manning Julian Dauer, Jr., a native of Wilmington N.C., received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Florida and his doctorate from the University of Illinois. Dr. Dauer began teaching at the University of Florida in 1933 . . . — Map (db m151298) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Marshall M. CriserUniversity of Florida
The eighth president of the University of Florida (1984-1989), Marshall M. Criser led the University to record levels of achievement , including public and private support, research activities and external support for research, and national . . . — Map (db m151104) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Matheson House
Side 1: The Matheson homestead dates from 1857, when Alexander Matheson brought his family from Camden, South Carolina to establish a home on the Sweetwater Branch at the eastern edge of the new town of Gainesville. The present one and a . . . — Map (db m97622) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Mechanic ArtsUniversity of Florida
A curriculum in the mechanic arts, as engineering was known, began at the Florida Agricultural College in Lake City in 1884 and stressed practical knowledge ("…a graduate’s value is not based on what he knows, but what he can do.") Later, a . . . — Map (db m151488) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Military EducationUniversity of Florida
Military education, mandated by the Land-Grant Colleges Act of 1862, is rooted in UF’s earliest history. Drill and rifle instruction were part of every male student’s life. Officer training was offered as elective instruction in 1909. UF became . . . — Map (db m150560) HM WM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-585 — Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church
Mount Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church was founded on July 16, 1867, with the Reverend Isaac Davis serving as the first pastor. The Board of Trustees of the oldest black congregation in Gainesville purchased the lot on which the present church . . . — Map (db m55606) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-784 — Mt. Carmel Baptist Church
The congregation of the Mt. Carmel Baptist Church first met on May 4, 1896. The church’s original members worshipped in the St. Paul CME Church, and together the congregations bought a parcel of land in 1900 to build a new church. Its construction . . . — Map (db m110982) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-577 — Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
The Mt. Pleasant Cemetery was established c. 1883 by the Mt. Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church as a final resting place for its members and other African Americans in the city of Gainesville. Founded in 1867, the church purchased the 5.38-acre . . . — Map (db m55915) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Murphree HallUniversity of Florida
Albert A. Murphree Hall 1939 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m150876) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Newell HallUniversity of Florida
Born in 1878 in Hull, Iowa, Dr. Wilmon Newell was influential in Florida agriculture from his arrival in this state. His bachelor’s, master’s and Doctor of Science degrees were all from Iowa State College, and in 1937 he received a second . . . — Map (db m151097) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-679 — Old Stage Road
The Old Stage Road, one of Alachua County’s original highways, passed near here. Dating from the 1820s, it connected the county’s two major towns, Newnansville (once the county seat near present day Alachua) and Micanopy to the south. The road . . . — Map (db m67689) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Peabody HallUniversity of Florida
In 1912, the George Peabody Education Fund, a foundation that supported education in the South, granted $40,000 for the construction of a Teacher’s College building. Peabody Hall was completed the following year and the College of Education . . . — Map (db m150875) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Ralph D. TurlingtonStatesman And Educator — Unversity of Florida —
A native of Gainesville and University of Florida Alumnus [B.S.B.A., 1942], Ralph D. Turlington represented Alachua County in the Florida House of Representatives for 24 years [1950-74], serving as Speaker of the House 1967-68. Appointed . . . — Map (db m151249) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Ray Graves1960-1969 — NCAA Football Hall of Fame —
Ray Graves served as the Gators’ Head Coach from 1960-69. During that time frame, he compiled a 70-31-4, then the standard for most wins (70) in school history for a head coach. Graves led Florida to winning records in nine of his 10 seasons at . . . — Map (db m150596) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Robert C. Williamson HallUniversity of Florida
Born on November 2, 1887, Robert Crozier Williamson earned his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin in 1923 with a thesis titled “The Ionization of Potassium Vapor by Light.” He served as chair of the Physics Department at the . . . — Map (db m151075) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Robert Marston Science Library
Born in 1923, Robert Quaries Marston was raised and educated in Virginia. At only 20 he earned a bachelor's degree from the Virginia Military Institute, followed by an M.D. from the Medical College of Virginia. A Rhodes Scholar, he distinguished . . . — Map (db m135958) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Rolfs HallUniversity of Florida
Rolfs Hall was designed by Rudolph Weaver, architect for the Florida Board of Control, and was completed in 1927. Originally known as the Horticulture Building. it housed the administrative offices of the University’s agricultural programs as . . . — Map (db m150921) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-492 — Roper Park / Old City Park
Roper Park is the original site of the parade grounds and barracks for the East Florida Seminary, a non-sectarian educational institution and a forerunner of the University of Florida, which was located in Gainsville in part due to the . . . — Map (db m55994) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-705 — Serenola Plantation
(side 1) In 1857, David Rogerson Williams II (1822-1907) of Darlington Co., SC, purchased 1,000 acres, including this site bordering Paynes Prarie, and developed them as a plantation known as "Serenola." The 1860 census shows 120 slaves . . . — Map (db m67687) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-684 — Shady Grove Primitive Baptist Church and Porters Quarters
Shady Grove Primitive Baptist Church is a landmark in Porters Quarters, one of Gainesville’s oldest and most historic African-American neighborhoods. Dr. Watson Porter, a Canadian physician, established Porters addition to Gainesville in 1884 and . . . — Map (db m150690) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Sledd HallUniversity of Florida
Construction on Sledd Hall began in 1928. Originally known as New Dormitory, it was completed in 1929 and renamed Sledd Hall in 1939. The architect was Rudolph Weaver and the contractor was the Sutton Brothers Company. The original construction . . . — Map (db m151215) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-165 — Spanish Cattle Ranching
Present-day Gainesville was the center of a large Spanish cattle ranching industry, founded on the labor of native Timuqua Indians, during the 1600s. LaChua, largest of the ranches, was a Spanish corruption of an Indian word, and in turn was . . . — Map (db m72916) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Steve Spurrier1964-1966 — NCAA Football Hall of Fame —
Steve Spurrier was named to the College Football Hall of Fame as a player in 1986 and as a coach in 2017. Spurrier joined Amos Alonzo Stagg, Bobby Dodd and Bowden Wyatt as the only four to be inducted as a player and coach. The 1966 Heisman . . . — Map (db m150592) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Steve Spurrier1990-2001 — NCAA Football Hall of Fame —
Steve Spurrier was named to the College Football Hall of Fame as a player in 1986 and as a coach in 2017. Spurrier joined Amos Alonzo Stagg, Bobby Dodd and Bowden Wyatt as the only four to be inducted as a player and coach. As Florida’s head . . . — Map (db m150631) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-302 — The Bailey House
This is one of the oldest houses in the city of Gainesville. It was constructed about 1850 by Major James B. Bailey, a prominent citizen of Alachua County. Bailey was a leading proponent of moving the county seat away from Newnansville to a new . . . — Map (db m55424) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-756 — The Ballpark
This site, known locally as the ballpark, was the center of recreational activities in Gainesville for more than 60 years. From 1883-1910 Gainesville’s Oak Hall baseball team played here against teams from Florida and the Southeast. The Oak Halls . . . — Map (db m150706) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-645 — The Gainesville Servicemen's Center / Thelma Boltin Center
The Gainesville Serviceman's Center The City of Gainesville purchased the Servicemen’s Center lot on December 7th 1942. The Federal Works Agency constructed a $37,000 building with a ballroom, stage, dressing rooms, second floor reading . . . — Map (db m67690) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-316 — The Law School Burial Mound
100 yards west is an aboriginal burial mound built ca. A.D. 1000 by Alachua Tradition peoples, ancestors of the Potano Indians who lived in Alachua County in the 16th and 17th centuries. Initially several individuals were buried in a central grave, . . . — Map (db m134742) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — This TowerUniversity of Florida
This Tower A memorial to University of Florida men who made the Supreme Sacrifice to Two World Wars. Was erected through the gifts of alumni and friends. It was dedicated in March, 1953 at ceremonies commemorating the 100th . . . — Map (db m151502) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Thomas HallUniversity of Florida
When this building opened in 1906, it was called the Main Building. It served as the administration-classroom building for the University. The president’s office was on the southwest corner of the first floor. There were twenty-four classrooms, . . . — Map (db m151217) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Thomas House
William Ruben Thomas House begun by C.W. Chase in 1906, this building was bought and completed in 1910 by Major W.R. Thomas, the house continued as the family’s residence until 1926 when it became part of the Hotel Thomas. Its use by the citizens . . . — Map (db m150663) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-1002 — Timucua Burial Mound/Timucua People
(side 1) Timucua Burial Mound This earthen mound pays tribute to the ancestors of the Timucua Indians who lived and established villages near lakes and other sources of fresh water in north central Florida. Around 950 CE, following . . . — Map (db m134740) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Trains Rumbled Overhead
This old, concrete railway trestle is a remnant of the Florida Southern Railroad. Crews laid tracks here starting in 1882. The railroad played a major role in the founding and history of Gainesville. The Gainesville Hawthorne Trail now follows this . . . — Map (db m126478) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Turlington Rock, 1984University of Florida
When giant crocodilians, the ancestors of the alligator, roamed the earth, this unusually large piece of chert formed from Suwannee limestone and sea shells. University of Florida Professor of Geological Sciences James Eades discovered it in a . . . — Map (db m151250) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — University AuditoriumUniversity of Florida
The cornerstone for the University Auditorium was laid in 1922. Complete with a fine pipe cigar given by Dr. Andrew Anderson of St. Augustine, the building was dedicated in 1925. The architectural firm of Edwards and Sayward designed this elegant . . . — Map (db m150686) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — University Infirmary
University Infirmary 1931 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m151218) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — University of Florida
On September 19, 1997, the University of Florida celebrated the 50th anniversary of the official beginning of co-education at the University. The 47 names listed below were honored for their individual distinctions, and achievements and as . . . — Map (db m151520) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-360 — University of Florida Historic Campus
The University of Florida Campus Historic District and two individual campus buildings were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 and 1990 in recognition of their architectural and cultural significance and the coherence of the . . . — Map (db m54828) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Walker Hall
Edgar Smith Walker was born June 3, 1858, in Cooper County, Missouri. He was educated in country schools and lived on a farm until the age of 18. While attending the University of Missouri, he accepted an appointment to the U.S. Military Academy at . . . — Map (db m128915) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Wes Chandler1974–1997 — NCAA Football Hall of Fame —
Chandler was a two-time first-team All-American at Florida as a wide receiver despite playing in a run-oriented wishbone offense. He caught 92 passes in his career for 1,963 yards and a school- record 28 touchdowns in four seasons. Chandler . . . — Map (db m150634) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Wilber Marshall1980–1983 — NCAA Football Hall of Fame —
Wilber Marshall is regarded as one of the best defensive players in Gator history. He was a consensus first-team All-American in 1982 and 1983 and also earned honorable mention All-American honors in 1981. ABC Television selected him as the . . . — Map (db m150656) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Grove Park — F-925 — Daniel Scott Plantation
Side 1 In 1853, planters Daniel Scott and Daniel Finley of Fairfield, South Carolina, bought 2,664 acres of land here for $6,743, and in 1854 Scott was taxed on 1,400 acres and 30 enslaved people. In 1855, Scott and Finley purchased 54 . . . — Map (db m110525) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Hawthorne — F-212 — Hawthorne
In 1774, noted botanist William Bartram travelled across what is now the southeastern corner of Alachua County following an old Indian and trading trail. In Florida's territorial period, English-speaking settlers used the same route as a frontier . . . — Map (db m41100) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Hawthorne — F-959 — The Moore Hotel (1883)
(side 1) The Moore Hotel is the first hotel and oldest existing business in Hawthorne. In 1882, William Shepard (W.S.) and Virginia McCraw Moore moved to Hawthorne from Braden, Tennessee, and bought a railroad house on Johnson Street to use . . . — Map (db m150563) HM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — 1824 - The Bellamy Road - 1952
The construction of this road was authorized by the 18th Congress and approved February 28, 1824. The section from Tallahassee to St. Augustine was built by John Bellamy and followed the Old Spanish Road. — Map (db m93361) HM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — American Legion Veterans Memorial
(front) In Honor of those who served in time of war A mighty mother turns in tears the pages of her battle years lamenting all her Fallen sons Erected by Gordon Rimes Post 97 The American Legion October 11, 1980 . . . — Map (db m81993) WM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — F-835 — Douglass High School
Residents of High Springs saw the need for a public school for African Americans in 1886. By 1902, black students moved into the Red Schoolhouse, a two-story wood frame building previously constructed as a school for whites. White students moved . . . — Map (db m151376) HM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — 21 — Fear StrickenFlorida De Soto Trail — August 15, 1539 —
It’s August 15, 1539… Hernando de Soto and his scouts arrive at the Indian village of Cholupaha. It lies along the present-day Santa Fe River, which runs through here – My Men captured several Indians and questioned them . . . — Map (db m126582) HM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — F-217 — High Springs, Florida
The northwest region of Alachua County was probably first settled on a permanent basis by English speaking people during the late 1830's. One of the earliest settlements in the vicinity was at Crockett Springs, located about three miles east . . . — Map (db m64251) HM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — F-359 — Railroading In High Springs
This old passenger depot, built c. 1910, is all that remains of the vast railroad complex located southwest of downtown that made High Springs a bustling railroad center for nearly 50 years. In 1895 the Plant Railroad System chose the town as the . . . — Map (db m54911) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Lacrosse — F-865 — LaCrosse
Settlement in the LaCrosse area started in the 1840s with the arrival of John Cellon, a young French immigrant. Other early settlers were Thomas Green, Abraham Mott, Richard H. Parker and family, William Scott and Thomas Standley. The town was built . . . — Map (db m93838) HM
Florida (Alachua County), LaCrosse — F-287 — LaCrosse, Florida
The LaCrosse area was settled before the Civil War. Cotton was the chief crop. John Eli Futch was a cotton buyer who built a warehouse for cotton, a store to serve the growers, and his home near the store. This store became the first post office and . . . — Map (db m93840) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Melrose — F-328 — Melrose
(side 1) The region south of Santa Fe Lake was not settled until after the Seminole War in 1842, although it was on the Spanish mission trail from St. Augustine from about 1600 to 1763 and, during the English (1763-1784) and second Spanish . . . — Map (db m99668) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Melrose — Melrose Civil War MemorialMelrose Heritage Park
In memory of Confederate and Union soldiers who fought in the Civil War and who are buried in the Eliam Cemetery in Melrose. Apr. 12, 1861 – Apr. 9, 1865 We will never forget Alderman, Hiram • Baldwin, Leonard • Cahoon, James • . . . — Map (db m151557) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Melrose — F-981 — Melrose United Methodist Church
The Melrose United Methodist Church was organized in 1868 as the Melrose Methodist Episcopal Church, South. This church building, the first located within the original 1877 plat of Melrose, was constructed out of heart pine by the congregation in . . . — Map (db m120212) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Melrose — Melrose World War I MemorialMelrose Heritage Park
In memory of those who entered the Armed Forces from the Melrose area and served our country during World War I Jul. 28, 1914 – Nov. 11, 1918 We will never forget Acosta, Joseph H. • Birt, Harry W. • Chestnut, Bazzle • Daniel, . . . — Map (db m151556) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — Battle of Micanopy
The Battle of Micanopy The Battle of Micanopy took place on the morning of June 9, 1836. Seventy-five troops under the command of Major J.F. Heileman engaged a larger Seminole force headed by Osceola, numbering about 250 warriors. Two . . . — Map (db m150458) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — F-706 — Micanopy
Founded after Spain relinquished Florida to the United States in 1821. Micanopy became the first distinct American town founded in the new US territory. Originally an Indian trading post, Micanopy was built under the auspices of the Florida . . . — Map (db m54271) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — F-202 — Micanopy, Florida
A Timucua Indian village of the Potano tribe was located near here when the early Spanish Explorer Hernando De Soto led his expedition through the area in 1539. Botanist William Bartram visited Cuscawilla village nearby in 1774. The first permanent . . . — Map (db m149338) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — F-860 — Moses Elias Levy
Moses Elias Levy (1782-1854), a Moroccan born Jewish merchant, came to Florida after its cession from Spain to the United States in 1821. Before his arrival, Levy acquired over 50,000 acres in East Florida. In 1822, Levy began development on . . . — Map (db m93854) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — Second Seminole War
War on the Frontier The opening of the Second Seminole War began during the first week of December 1835. Seminole, along with their Black allies, attacked and burned hundreds of farms and homesteads in the Payne's Prairie region, the . . . — Map (db m150459) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — Seminole Heritage in Micanopy
Seminoles in Florida Between 1716 and 1763, under pressure from the colonial powers of Britain and Spain, two groups of Creek Indians from more northerly regions of Spanish La Florida (see map) arrived in the area of present-day Micanopy . . . — Map (db m150457) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — F-75 — William Bartram(1739-1823)
The great Quaker naturalist of Philadelphia made a long journey through the southeastern states in the 1770's collecting botanical specimens. In May, 1774, he visited the Seminole Chief, Cowkeeper, at the Indian village of Cuscowilla located near . . . — Map (db m146839) HM
Florida (Alachua County), near Alachua — F-597 — Bland Community and Ogden School / Odgen School
Bland Community and Ogden School Settled in the 1840s by cotton planters from Georgia and South Carolina, Bland became a diverse agrarian area where farmers and sharecroppers raised cattle and grew cotton and a variety of fruits and . . . — Map (db m64715) HM
Florida (Alachua County), near Alachua — F-325 — Santa Fe de Toloca
A Spanish Mission was established near here within sight of the Santa Fe River about A.D. 1606 by Franciscan missionaries. The river took its name from the mission, as did the modern town of Santa Fe. At one time, Santa Fe de Toloca was said to be . . . — Map (db m64880) HM
Florida (Alachua County), near Fairbanks — F- 516 — Turpentine Industry Community and Family
The naval stores industry was important to maritime power worldwide. Pine tar and pitch were used to seal wooden ships and protect sails and rigging. When settlers came to America - in Florida (1565), in Virginia (1607) and in Massachusetts . . . — Map (db m42012) HM
Florida (Alachua County), near Rochelle — F-314 — Madison Starke Perry1814- 1865 Planter, Legislator, Governor, Soldier
Madison Starke Perry, born in Lancaster County, S.C., moved to Alachua County, Florida and became a prosperous planter. His plantation was located about six miles east of Gainesville in the area of present-day Rochelle. Perry was elected to the . . . — Map (db m55537) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — F-363 — City of Newberry Historic District
The discovery of hard rock phosphate in Alachua County in 1889 sparked the appearance of boom towns wherever large deposits of the mineral were found. Incorporated in 1894, Newberry thrived until 1914 when the onset of World War I forced the mines . . . — Map (db m65216) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — Little Red Schoolhouse
contributing member Newberry Historic District and has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Little Red Schoolhouse circa 1910 — Map (db m126398) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — Newberry Community Veterans Memorial
Honoring those who served — Map (db m81994) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — F-210 — Newberry, Florida
   Only after about 1870 did phosphates become an important world industry. In Alachua County, phosphates were discovered late in the 1870's, but as in other regions of Florida, the major developments in phosphate mining and processing began about . . . — Map (db m119012) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — F-1038 — The Newberry Lynchings of 1916
Side 1

On August 19, 1916, African Americans living in the Jonesville and Newberry communities were lynched. At 2:00 a.m., Constable George Wynne, Dr. L.G. Harris, and G.H. Blount drove to Boisey Long's home in Jonesville to serve a warrant . . . — Map (db m135956) HM

Florida (Alachua County), Newberry — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773 - 1777 — Deep South Region —
Blue Sink Visited by William Bartram, America's first naturalist, in 1774. Erected by Newberry Garden Club in cooperation with Dist. V. FFGC National Council of State Garden Clubs, Inc. Fla. Dept. of Transportation — Map (db m119044) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Rochelle — F- 353 — Rochelle Vicinity
Colonel Daniel Newnan led a troop of the Georgia militia on a raid into the area in September 1812 in an attempt to annex Florida to the United States in the War of 1812. The raiders engaged a force of Seminole Indians under the command of . . . — Map (db m54642) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Waldo — F-127 — Dickison and His Men / Jefferson Davis' Baggage
Dickison and His Men John Jackson Dickison (1816-1902), Florida's famous Civil War guerrilla leader, bivouacked at Camp Baker, south of here, during the closing weeks of the conflict. Dickison and his men became legendary figures. As Company . . . — Map (db m40315) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Waldo — For All Who Served(Waldo, Florida)
(Left) Police Officer Waldo When I start my tour of duty God, Wherever crime may be, As I walk the darkened Streets alone, let me be close to thee. Please give me understanding with both the young and old Let me listen with . . . — Map (db m41877) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Waldo — F-214 — Waldo
The first permanent English-speaking settlers came to the northeast portion of Alachua County in the 1820's. In 1837, during the Second Seminole War, an army post, Fort Harlee, was established on the Santa Fe River about three miles north of this . . . — Map (db m41072) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — A Bloody Massacre
At this point in the battle, the Union had five cannons captured and nearly every other cannon was rendered useless. “The horses and men were nearly all killed or wounded, and it was the greatest slaughter among artillery known in the . . . — Map (db m146303) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — A Legacy Remembered
(Left side text) During the Great Depression, President Roosevelt approved a plan to recruit thousands of unemployed young men into a "Civilian Conservation Corps" (CCC) From 1933-1942 the CCC employed over 3 million Americans. They . . . — Map (db m55674) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — Battle of Ocean Pond (or The Battle of Olustee)
Here was fought on February 20, 1864 the Battle of Ocean Pond under the immediate command of General Alfred Holt Colquitt "Hero of Olustee" This decisive engagement prevented a Sherman-like invasion of Georgia from the south. . . . — Map (db m54361) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — Battle of Olustee Union Memorial
Front To the memory of the officers and soldiers of the United States Army who fell in the Battle of Olustee February 20, 1864

This memorial replaces the original wooden one erected in this site May . . . — Map (db m146335) HM

Florida (Baker County), Olustee — Brig. Gen. Joseph Finegan
Placed by The United Daughters of the Confederacy Florida Division In Memory of Brig. Gen. Joseph Finegan Commander of the District of Middle and East Florida "So well did he perform his part that a . . . — Map (db m54978) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — Confusion Under Fire
By 3:00 p.m. the 7th New Hampshire deployed on the Union right flank, battling heavy fire from the Confederates. The regiment had earlier been ordered to exchange their Spencer repeating rifles for old, defective muskets; many of which did . . . — Map (db m146294) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — Cries and Cheers
Colquitt's brigade gradually advanced until they were nearly on the enemy's left flank. The Yankees broke and fled, and the Rebels knew they had won.

“The whole line moving as directed, the enemy gave way in confusion. We . . . — Map (db m146329) HM

Florida (Baker County), Olustee — Fight or Die
When the two armies met in force, the Union troops their advance and the other blocking their retreat. They could see for long distances and there was very little cover in which to hide. To the north was an old, cleared field where later the . . . — Map (db m146282) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — Hold That Line
About the time the North felt the day was lost, the 54th Massachusetts and the 1st North Carolina U.S. Colored advanced, staggering the enemy for a moment.

Around 5:00 p.m. the fire slackened on both sides as soldiers were running out . . . — Map (db m146311) HM

Florida (Baker County), Olustee — Olustee Battlefield
(Left Panel) Welcome to the Olustee Battlefield Battlefield Map included with Park rules and regulations (Center Panel) How Many Would Die ? The morning of February 20, 1864, dawned clear and cool. . . . — Map (db m54917) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — Retreat
"After three hours of fighting, every regiment excepting the 115th New York had been compelled to leave the field. Our boys occupied precisely the same position which they did at the opening of the battle. They stood battling over the bodies . . . — Map (db m146317) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — The Battle Intensifies
Around 2:00 p.m. Union troops reached a railroad crossing east of Olustee. Here they faced increased resistance from the advancing Confederate troops. The 7th Connecticut opened up with heavy fire from their Spencer repeating rifles, . . . — Map (db m146286) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — The Battle of Olustee
(Front):The Battle of Olustee was fought on this ground February 20th, 1864. Between 5,000 Confederate troops commanded by General Joseph E. Finegan and 6,000 Federal troops under General Truman Seymour. The Federals were defeated with a loss . . . — Map (db m13708) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — The Battle Rages
Around 3:00 p.m. Colonel Harrison arrived with Confederate reinforcements and General Colquitt ordered the troops to advance. Colonel Barton's brigade for the North was soon subjected to concentrated fire in the area recently vacated by the . . . — Map (db m146298) HM
Florida (Baker County), Olustee — The Yankees are Coming
   Marching west, the Union forces left Barber's Plantation at 6:00 a.m., expecting to defeat the Confederates 32 miles away in Lake City. If successful, the Union then planned to cut off railroad communications between east and west . . . — Map (db m54829) HM
Florida (Baker County), Sanderson — F-18 — Camp at Sanderson
This site was used by both Union and Confederate soldiers as a camp during the campaign of 1864. The camp was used as a Confederate supply depot but it was abandoned on February 9, 1864. From the 9th to the 13th, it was held by Federals and used as . . . — Map (db m54604) HM
Florida (Bay County), Apalachicola — F-740 — The Dr. Alvan W. Chapman House
This classical Greek Revival style house served as the residence of Dr. Alvan Wentworth Chapman, physician, scientist, and eminent botanist, whose research and writings on the flora of the South received international recognition. Born in 1809 in . . . — Map (db m146549) HM
Florida (Bay County), Callaway — F-728 — Old Callaway One-Room School House
The Callaway School House was built in 1911 (two years prior to the creation of Bay County in 1913) on the SW corner of Beulah Avenue and Letohattchee Street. Callaway had been surveyed and platted in 1908 by Pitt Milner Callaway for whom the . . . — Map (db m73287) HM
Florida (Bay County), Mexico Beach — Vamar(formerly Eleanor Bolling)
Built in 1919 for the British Navy, this 170-foot steamer originally was christened Kilmarnock. Admiral Richard E. Byrd purchased the ship for use in his Antarctic expedition of 1928-30 and renamed her Eleanor Bolling in honor of . . . — Map (db m73753) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-657 — John Christo, Senior
(side A) Built in 1927 by A.A. Payne, a banker, and bought by John Christo, Sr., the house is significant in architecture, a mixture of styles typical of the late 19th and early 20th centuries which includes Neo-Colonial Revival and . . . — Map (db m42117) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-154 — Panama City Airport
Established 1945 on Fannin Field Panama City-Bay County Airport 1964 Panama City-Bay County Airport and Industrial District 1967 Developed and controlled by Representative Airport Authorities in conjunction with the Federal Aviation Agency Control . . . — Map (db m8150) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-315 — Robert Lee McKenzie's Home and Office
(Front Side): The McKenzie House is a large two-story clapboard frame dwelling built in the Dutch Colonial style typical of the turn of the century houses still standing in Northern Michigan. It was built 1909 by Belle Booth who married R. . . . — Map (db m8155) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — Salt Kettle
. . . — Map (db m8163) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-425 — St. Andrew Skirmish
Near this site on March 20, 1863, Confederate soldiers commanded by Captain Walter J. Robinson repelled a landing by Union sailors led by Acting Master James Folger of the blockading vessel U.S.S. Roebuck. The 11-man scouting party of Union . . . — Map (db m8160) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-603 — St. Andrew(s) School
The first school in St. Andrew, a community established ca. 1827, was built in 1850. That building burned down. The second school was a two-story wooden structure with two large rooms on each floor. The school had four teachers and 100 students. In . . . — Map (db m42116) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-23 — St. Andrews Bay Skirmish
The U.S. bark Roebuck, commanded by John Sherrill, was sent to St. Andrews Bay to prevent blockade running. On March 20, 1863, an 11-man scouting party landed in this vicinity to secure fresh drinking water. They were attacked by Confederates . . . — Map (db m129811) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-479 — The Gideon Versus Wainwright Case
This is the site of the landmark Gideon case, after which the Public Defender system was established in Florida and throughout the nation. In 1961, Clarence Earl Gideon (1910-1972) stood trial in this courthouse for the felony of burglary. Lacking . . . — Map (db m42115) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — The Old Sentry
This Heritage Oak Tree is estimated to be over 250 years old It was standing during The War Between the States as if a Sentry standing guard over Old St Andrews Bay — Map (db m87324) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-477 — The St. Andrew Bay Saltworks
Between 1861 and 1865, the St. Andrew Bay Saltworks, one of the largest producers of salt in the South, contributed to the Confederate cause by providing salt, fish, and cattle for southern troops and citizens. A necessary preservative in those . . . — Map (db m8158) HM
Florida (Bay County), Parker — F-459 — Site of Loftin's Ferry
Loftin’s Ferry, on Pitts Avenue, which later became Parker, was an important part of the major land route called the “Military Road” that ran from Apalachicola through St. Joseph to Marianna and beyond. This road, constructed from 1836 . . . — Map (db m42114) HM
Florida (Bradford County), Starke — F-13 — Captain Richard C. Bradford
On December 6, 1861, Gov. John Milton signed a law changing the name of New River County to Bradford County. The Legislature had passed the law in honor of Captain Richard G. Bradford of Madison who was killed October 9, 1861, in the Battle of Santa . . . — Map (db m15316) HM
Florida (Bradford County), Starke — F-431 — Woman's Club of Starke
The Woman’s Club of Starke, formerly known as the Mother’s Club, was founded in the late 19th century and held its meetings in the Bradford County High School. Their purpose was to assist the Bradford County High School. Only mothers were accepted . . . — Map (db m34517) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Cape Canaveral Lighthouse
Originally constructed in 1868 overlooking the Cape Canaveral beach. Due to shoreline erosion, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved 1 ½ miles inland in the early 1890s. In July 1894, the light was relit at the new location. — Map (db m23522) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — F-628 — Cape Canaveral Lighthouse
On May 21, 1838, Florida territorial delegate Charles Downing requested a lighthouse be built on Cape Canaveral. The first lighthouse completed in Jan. 1848 stood 65-feet tall, had a 55-foot tower and a 10-foot lantern room equipped with 15 lamps on . . . — Map (db m64798) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — F-857 — Carter-Fuller Mound Complex
Before modern construction a complex of six burial mounds occupied this location. They were built by the ancestors of the prehistoric Ais tribe, a group who occupied the Cape Canaveral area at the time of European contact. Based on pottery styles . . . — Map (db m101390) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Complex 14
Vc = Ro √(g/Ro+h) "… one of the most complex tasks ever presented to man in this country -- the achievement of manned flight in orbit around the earth." - John F. Kennedy Thirty-Fifth President of the United States This marker . . . — Map (db m69963) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Launch Complex 34Friday, 27 January 1967 — 1831 Hours —
Dedicated to the living memory of the crew of the Apollo 1: U.S.A.F Lt. Colonel Virgil I. Grissom U.S.A.F. Lt. Colonel Edward H. White, II U.S.N. Lt. Commander Roger B. Chaffee They gave their lives in service to their country . . . — Map (db m72912)
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesCruise Industry
1964 – First cruise ship visit, S/S Yarmouth 1980 – First Queen Elizabeth II visit 1982 – First Cruises to Nowhere, S/S Scandinavian Seas 1984 – First homeported ship, Premier Cruise Lines S/S . . . — Map (db m59645) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesFishing and Cargo Industries
1953 – Commercial fishing began 1954 – First oil imported for Central Florida power plants 1955 – First merchant ship, S/S Mormac Spruce arrived 1962 – First bulk cement silos built 1966 – First . . . — Map (db m59647) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesSpace
1961 – Freedom 7, First space capsule recovered through the Port 1989 – Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) 136 activated 1989 – First quadramodal connection between sea, land, air and space 1992 – SPACEHAB, First FTZ . . . — Map (db m59648) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesNorth Side Development / South Side Development
North Side Development 1971 – Courageous, First Coast Guard Cutter, arrived 1974 – First warehouse built 2000 – Container Yard completed South Side Development 1965 – First refrigerated . . . — Map (db m59665) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesEnvironment and Recreation
1968 – Jetty Park Opened 1990 – Central Park (renamed Freddie Patrick Park) opened 1992 – First Florida deepwater port to develop an Inlet Management Plan 1995 – Malcolm E. McLouth Fishing Pier dedicated 1995 . . . — Map (db m59666) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesNovember 4, 1953
Port dedicated by U.S. Senator Spessard L. Holland. Serving on the Canaveral Port Authority Board of Commissioners: Colonel Noah Butt, Chairman; David S. Nisbet; L.M. Carpenter; A.A. Dunn and G.W. Laycock. N.M. Argabrite, Secretary. Barbara . . . — Map (db m59729) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesMilitary
. . . — Map (db m69964) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — Cocoa Village Playhouse(originally Aladdin Theater)
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1924 — Map (db m146052) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — F-937 — Edward Postell Porcher House
On October 31, 1916, citrus grower and inventor Edward Postell Porcher and wife Byrnina Peck Porcher, moved into what was the grandest house in Cocoa. The house is a unique example of Neo-Classical Revival Style architecture interpreted in coquina . . . — Map (db m112182) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — Emory Lawrence Bennett
Born 20 December 1929 at New Smyrna, Florida. Moved to Brevard County March 15, 1936. A 1948 graduate of Cocoa High School. Enlisted in the U.S. Army July 25, 1950. Killed in action June 24, 1951. His grave in Pinecrest Cemetery is properly marked. . . . — Map (db m145975) HM WM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — F-69 — Hernandez Trail
One half mile to the west ran the Hernandez Trail used during the Seminole War. It connected forts along the East Coast to Ft. Dallas in Miami and across from Ft. Pierce and Ft. Capron to Ft. Brooke near Tampa. Brig. General Joseph M. Hernandez, . . . — Map (db m72606) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — Historic Cocoa Post Office
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m146061) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — F-568 — Historic Derby Street Chapel
Dedicated on July 13, 1924, this structure was built by the Seventh Day Adventist Church, and was heralded by The Cocoa Tribune as “an honor to the City.” In 1955 it was sold to the Church of Christ, Scientist. In 1964 it was sold to the . . . — Map (db m125640) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — F-689 — St. Mark’s Episcopal Church
On June 2, 1878, the Right Reverend John Freeman Young, Bishop of Florida, and Dr. William H. Carter of Holy Cross Church of Sanford, Florida, held the first meeting of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church at a nearby Rockledge residence. The mission was . . . — Map (db m70299) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — Staff Sergeant Melvin Morris
Medal of Honor recipient Melvin Morris was born in Okmulgee, Okla. January 7, 1942. Sergeant First Class Morris (U.S. Army-Retired) and family settled in Brevard County in December 1990. On March 18, 2014, the President of the United States of . . . — Map (db m146008) HM WM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — F-1047 — The S. F. Travis CompanyA Florida Heritage Site
(side one) Founded in 1885, the S.F. Travis Company is the oldest continuously operating business in the city of Cocoa and one of the oldest hardware stores in Florida. Surviving two world wars, numerous hurricanes, and financial busts, the . . . — Map (db m145953) HM

3594 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 3394
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 7, 2020