Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Angelina County Texas Historical Markers

 
Burke Methodist Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Gustafson, May 2, 2010
Burke Methodist Church Marker
Texas (Angelina County), Burke — 6983 — Burke Methodist Church
Founded in 1889 by a small group of Methodists, this church has played an integral role in the history of the community. H. and Nannie Belote donated land to the congregation in 1894, and the first church building was completed in 1901. It was moved . . . — Map (db m30331) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Burke — 11655 — Burke School
The community of Burke was established along the Houston, East and West Texas Railroad in 1882. S.J. and Nancy Arrington conveyed one acre of land adjoining the town on which to establish a public school. The first building, a one-room structure, . . . — Map (db m37848) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Burke — 6995 — Fairview School
The Angelina County School Board created Fairview Common School District Number 69 in the late 1800s. A one-room schoolhouse was built that served students from a wide rural area. The first school term, in 1898, was five months long. Fairview . . . — Map (db m79121) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Central — 12780 — Central Consolidated School
This school traces its origin to five small schools in the Pollok-Central area; Union, Durant, Pollok, Clawson, and Allentown. An effort to solve the problem of inadequate funding for each of these rural schools led to their consolidation in 1929 as . . . — Map (db m29237) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Central — 14796 — Gann Memorial Cemetery
This burial ground, which contains over 3,000 graves, has served area residents since the mid-1800s. In 1860, Nathan W. Gann, who came to Texas with his family in 1836, donated this property and a church building he constructed to Williams Chapel . . . — Map (db m28290) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 6989 — Diboll
A sawmill established here in 1894 by T.L.L. Temple gave rise to a town that by 1900 contained a commissary, post office, churches, homes, and schools run by the Southern Pine Lumber Company. The town was named for the Diboll family of New Orleans . . . — Map (db m30360) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 6993 — Emporia
Emporia Lumber Company co-owner S.F. Carter and M.T. Jones purchased over 5,000 acres of land in south Angelina County and established a company town named Emporia in 1893. The town included sawmill facilities, a railroad spur to ship lumber, . . . — Map (db m37824) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 6998 — First Methodist Church of Diboll
This congregation was founded about 1897, soon after Diboll was established as a sawmill town. Early worship services were held in a local schoolhouse and in a two-story structure shared with the local Baptist congregation and fraternal . . . — Map (db m38057) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 8715 — Old Diboll Library
Built about 1908 by T.L.L. Temple for his Southern Pine Lumber Company employees, this building served for many years as a community library and recreation hall. While the lower floor included a reading room and recreational facilities, the upper . . . — Map (db m38050) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 8718 — Prairie Grove
The community of Prairie Grove began in 1845 and became a place for early settlers to gather. A cemetery began in 1849 when the young daughter of John M. and Caroline Stovall died. In the 1880s a school/church building was erected near the cemetery, . . . — Map (db m79123) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 8720 — Ryan Chapel
Founded 1866, after new settler, Rev. Issac Ryan, had Methodist revival in home before occupying it. His brother John was one of 19 charter members. L.H.D. and Sallie Guinn gave 7.5 acres for church and cemetery. First 16 by 20-ft. church had . . . — Map (db m37821) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Diboll — 8726 — Thomas Lewis Latane Temple — (1859-1935)
Virginia native Thomas Lewis Latane Temple, son of Henry W.L. and Susan (Jones) Temple, moved to Texarkana, Texas, in 1877. He married Georgie D. Fowlkes in 1880. In 1893 Temple organized the Southern Pine Lumber Company in Texarkana and began . . . — Map (db m30374) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Huntington — 11713 — Huntington
Settlers attempted to form a townsite in this area in the 1890s, but it was not until the arrival of the railroad lines that it attracted a thriving population. Carved from virgin forests in the heyday of the southern pine timber industry and . . . — Map (db m34882) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Huntington — 7003 — Joseph Herrington
When Angelina County was organized in 1845, Alabama native Joseph Herrington (1823-89) was one of six men appointed by the legislature who set boundary lines and selected Marion as the first seat of government. That same year, at the age of 22, he . . . — Map (db m32054) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Huntington — 7008 — Site of the Town of Jonesville
Site of the town of Jonesville Second county seat of Angelina County August 22, 1854 ••• May 19,1858 — Map (db m37243) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — Angelina
In 1690, when Spain's Franciscan Fathers founded Mission San Francisco de los Tejas in East Texas, they found a young Indian girl living with her people beside a stream. The priests found her a willing ally for carrying the Catholic Faith to the . . . — Map (db m27249) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 12377 — Angelina & Neches River Railroad
Chartered in August 1900 and headquartered in the sawmill town of Keltys, the Angelina and Neches River (A&NR) Railroad began as a small short line railroad to move logs from the woods of East Texas to the mills of the Angelina County Lumber . . . — Map (db m29735) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6981 — Angelina County
Created and organized in 1846. Originally a part of Nacogdoches County. Bears the name of the river traversing the region. The following towns have served as the county seat; Marion,1846-1854; Jonesville,1854-1858; Homer, Feb. 3 - May 17, 1858, when . . . — Map (db m29862) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 14367 — Berry Cemetery
In 1850, Samuel and Elizabeth Berry brought their family and slaves here from Limestone Co., Alabama. Samuel's plantation covered hundreds of acres and included a cotton gin and gristmill. Berry Cemetery began in 1863 when Samuel's grandson and . . . — Map (db m36110) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8722 — Birthplace of Allan Shivers — Governor of Texas (1949-1957)
Born here, in now-razed house, Oct. 5, 1907, to Robert and Easter C. Shivers, pioneer East Texas family. As youth, worked at odd jobs to earn own pocket money. Was State Senator 12 years; Lieutenant Governor for two. A strong, progressive Governor, . . . — Map (db m58855) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6984 — Calder (Cotton) Square
City's hub, 1882-early 1900s, teeming with cotton buying, horse trades, band concerts, political rallies, switching railroad trains. Site of fire station, standpipe, 1933 memorial library named for lumberman J. H. Kurth (1857-1930), square was . . . — Map (db m29199) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — Charles "Charlie" Wilson
June 1, 1933 - February 10, 2010 United States Naval Officer and 12-Term United States Representative, 2nd District of Texas A Sonnet to Charlie Now before us in bronze, he once again stands tall: Beloved Texan, who heard his . . . — Map (db m39781) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8709 — City of Lufkin
Founded 1882. Soon became a thriving sawmill community. Named for E.P. Lufkin, chief of crew that surveyed railroad through town. Has been county seat of Angelina County since 1892. Now a regional manufacturing and commerce center. Products include . . . — Map (db m28715) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6994 — Ewing
The boom town of Ewing stood for two decades on the west bank of the Angelina River. Named for plantation owner James A. Ewing, the town was located near a rail line and virgin hardwood forests. In 1919 H.G. Bohissen purchased a 100-acre tract of . . . — Map (db m32058) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6996 — First Baptist Church of Lufkin
Chartered with nine members, the Lufkin Baptist Church began conducting worship services soon after rail lines reached the townsite in the early 1880s. The Houston, East & West Texas Railroad donated land at this site to Joseph Kerr, E.H.F. . . . — Map (db m27247) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6997 — First Christian Church of Lufkin
A Christian church was organized in Angelina County about 1884 in Homer, the county seat. When the railroad line from Houston to Shreveport was built about 5 miles from Homer, the town of Lufkin was built around the depot. Many citizens of Homer . . . — Map (db m57551) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 11656 — First United Methodist Church of Lufkin
Margaret (Fullerton) Abney, born in Alabama in 1829, joined the Methodist church with her family at a camp meeting held at nearby McKendree campground in 1863. Because the nearest Methodist church was ten miles away, Mrs. Abney held bible study . . . — Map (db m28482) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 13709 — German POWs in the East Texas Timber Industry
The U.S. Army began building POW camps in the United States in early 1942 for captured Axis prisoners. During World War II, the Army shipped almost 425,000 military prisoners to 511 camps in the U.S. Approximately 50,000 of those POWs, primarily . . . — Map (db m29450) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7006 — Homer Cemetery
In 1854 W.W. Manning established a drugstore and sawmill in this area, and named the community after his former home in Homer, Louisiana. In 1856 Homer was chosen as Angelina County seat, following a mandate from the Texas Legislature to locate a . . . — Map (db m31713) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7007 — Hoshall
The Houston East and West Texas (HE&WT) Railroad came through Angelina County in 1882 and a community named Bitterweed Flat developed here. In 1913 W.E. Hoshall purchased land and timber rights in the area and began shipping logs from Hoshall Switch . . . — Map (db m36108) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7009 — Kerr's Inc.
Regarded as the oldest Angelina County business in continuous operation, Kerr's began in 1870 as a general store in the early county seat of Homer (5 mi. SE). It was started by Civil War veteran Capt. Joseph Kerr (b. 1828), a native of South . . . — Map (db m29153) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 16011 — KRBA-AM Radio Station
By the 1930s, radio had become an established medium for commercial advertising. In 1938, commercial radio came to Angelina County when Redland Broadcasting Association received the first license in the area. Station manager Darrell Yates financed, . . . — Map (db m38722) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8708 — Lindsey Springs Logging Camp
The naturally occurring Lindsey Springs, located approximately 3/4 of a mile northeast of this location, became the site in 1899 of the Southern Pine Lumber Company's first logging camp. The springs provided an important water source for this vital . . . — Map (db m79122) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8711 — Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company
Chartered in 1902 as a repair shop and parts supply house for local sawmills, Lufkin Foundry & Machine Company was begun by J.H. Kurth, Frank Kavanaugh, Sr., Frank Kavanaugh, Jr., Eli Wiener and Simon Henderson. Later, under the leadership of W.C. . . . — Map (db m29845) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 11657 — Lufkin Telephone Exchange
Telephone service in Lufkin began in 1898 when Dr. Alexander Madison Denman and his friend Judge Edwin James Mantooth strung telephone wires between their offices. The system was so popular that the pair soon formed the Lufkin Telephone Exchange . . . — Map (db m29355) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6992 — Machinery from Early East Texas Logging Railroads
Steam locomotive and tender No. 3 were bought 1908 by Carter-Kelley Lumber Co., for use in building a sawmill at Manning (about 18 mi. south); then in railroad building, logging, and passenger and freight hauling schedules. The 1906 wood-burning . . . — Map (db m28803) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 16955 — Mantooth Farm
Members of the Mantooth family came to Angelina County in 1858. Albert Edwin (Eddie) Mantooth (1874-1969) was born in Homer, Angelina County, to Albert and Mary Richard Hall Mantooth. In 1897, Eddie married Sarah Annie Atkinson Mantooth (1879-1914). . . . — Map (db m58779) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8721 — Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church
The first Episcopal service in Lufkin was held in 1893 by the Rev. George L. Crocket for the W.G. Barron and R.B. Shearer families. St. Mary's Mission was established in 1895 by the Rev. C.M. Beckwith, but the congregation did not have a permanent . . . — Map (db m26886) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8719 — Redland Baptist Church
Liberty Baptist Church, established in the Redland community in 1859, became Redland Baptist Church after reorganizing in 1895. Worship services were held in a local schoolhouse until 1924 when the congregation built its first sanctuary. A new . . . — Map (db m28483) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8713 — Site of Martin Wagon Company
David Webster Martin (d. 1916) and his two sons opened a small wagon shop here in 1908. An inventor and designer, Martin developed various wagons for use in the lumber industry. In partnership with B.L. Zeagler, he incorporated the operation as the . . . — Map (db m27228) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7005 — Site of Rehearsal Hall for the The Hoo Hoo Band
At the turn of the century, a group of Lufkin men organized a town brass band. It later became known as the Hoo Hoo Band after representing Texas at a national convention of the Order of Hoo Hoo, an organization of American and Canadian lumbermen. . . . — Map (db m29146) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7004 — Site of the town of Homer
Also known as Angelina Third county seat of Angelina County, 1858 - 1890 — Map (db m31629) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8724 — Southland Paper Mills, Inc.
First plant to turn southern pines into newsprint. Mill here revolutionized paper industry in the southern United States. Seeking local paper rather than foreign supplies, Southland was incorporated in 1938 and began operations, 1940. Its mills made . . . — Map (db m28963) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 14638 — The Civilian Conservation Corps and Forestry in Texas
Continuing efforts started in the 1920s by the Texas Forest Service (TFS), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), established through the Emergency Conservation Work Act (1933) during the Great Depression, aided in efforts to preserve Texas forests. . . . — Map (db m29427) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6988 — The Depot Explosion and Mystery
On the evening of March 2, 1913, an explosion destroyed the Houston, East & West Texas Railroad depot at this site, disrupting the town's vital source of transportation and trade. Although a body was not discovered, it was presumed a railroad . . . — Map (db m29203) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 12821 — W.C. Trout and the Counter-Balanced Pumping Unit
The son of an early industrial engineer, W.C. Trout (1874-1947) came to Lufkin in 1905 and joined Lufkin Foundry & Machine Co. as a shareholder and company secretary. Already a successful inventor, Trout led the diversification of the shop from . . . — Map (db m29852) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 12819 — Whitehouse Cemetery
According to local tradition, this cemetery may take its name from the 19th-century Cole family home, a structure whose whitewashed exterior stood out from the majority of other log houses and frame buildings in the area. It lies on what was once a . . . — Map (db m29713) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Pollok — 8717 — Pollok Baptist Church
Founded as Warren Chapel Baptist Church in 1891, this congregation became known as Pollok Baptist Church in 1896. The first meeting place was shared by the Methodist and Presbyterian churches. Land acquired in 1906 by the Baptists was the site of . . . — Map (db m29228) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Pollok — 13518 — Pollok Cemetery
Since the late 1800s, this cemetery has served the residents of the town of Pollok. Before the end of the 19th century, the Pollok community was established near a railroad. Here, Richard Blair built the settlement's first sawmill, setting Pollok's . . . — Map (db m29229) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Redland — 14371 — Walker Cemetery
This part of Angelina County has long been called Red Land, or Redland, for the red soil ridge that forms the center of the community. In 1846, Thomas R. Walker moved into the area from North Carolina. In 1851, he wed Emily Z. Briscoe, and the . . . — Map (db m26869) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Zavalla — 16536 — Camp Nancy
Camp Nancy began as one of the many logging camps established in the piney woods of East Texas during the early 20th century. The camp was first created in Nacogdoches County, but was moved to the Angelina County community of Dunkin ca. 1918. Once . . . — Map (db m37285) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Zavalla — 8727 — U.S. Forest Service in Texas
This area-heart of the Piney Woods and the East Texas forest industry--was, in 1933, cutover forests and worked-out farms. That year the Texas Legislature authorized the establishment of national forests in the state. Today Angelina, Davy . . . — Map (db m37302) HM

52 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.