Archdale Hall Plantation was established in 1681 by a royal grant of 300 acres to Richard Baker. The plantation, later expanded to more than 3000 acres, produced indigo and rice. The house which once stood here, built before 1750, was a fine example . . . — — Map (db m29914) HM
On U.S. 78 at School House Road (County Route S-18), on the right when traveling east on U.S. 78.
This town, in Colleton County before Dorchester County was founded in 1897, dates to the early 19th century and the origins of railroading in S.C. By 1843, only ten years after the S.C. Canal & Rail Road Company completed its . . . — — Map (db m71887) HM
Near East Main Street (U.S. 178) near U.S. 78, on the right when traveling east.
The first causeway and bridge here
were built under terms of an act
passed April 21, 1753.
Col. Henry Hampton of State Troops
of S.C. seized the bridge July
14, 1781, and established a post
here to check Lord Rawdon on his
retreat from . . . — — Map (db m26583) HM
On East Main Street (U.S. 178) near U.S. 78, on the right when traveling east.
Four Holes Swamp Bridge The first bridge across Four Holes Swamp, a branch of the Edisto River, was built between 1770 and 1780 and was located about 200 ft. N. of the present bridge. The old bridge, on the road from Orangeburg to Charleston, . . . — — Map (db m26704) HM
This camp ground, established about 1870, is the largest of 4 Methodist camp grounds in Dorchester County. Tradition holds that Ceasar Wolfe and a group of former slaves, caught in a storm, stopped in a grove here for shelter. . . . — — Map (db m42327) HM
On Wire Road (State Highway 18-19) near Cowtail Road (State Highway 18-71), on the right when traveling west.
(Front text) This church was organized shortly after the Revolution and this site was deeded to seven trustees in 1787. One of them, Jacob Barr, was the first minister to serve here. Applebys Methodist Church was named for a prominent local . . . — — Map (db m26275) HM
On U.S. 15 near Old Spell Road, on the left when traveling north.
This church was founded in the early 19th century as Murray's Church and served by ministers riding the Cypress Circuit.
It was originally named for the Murray family, which also gave this town its first name of Murray's . . . — — Map (db m22006) HM
On Wire Rd. (State Road 18-19) near Sandy Branch Road, on the left when traveling west.
(Front text) This house, an excellent example of early Federal era-architecture, was built about 1800 for Joseph Koger, Jr. (1779-1866), planter, state representative 1806-1812, Colleton District sheriff 1813-18, and state senator 1818-1838. . . . — — Map (db m26349) HM
On Main Street (U.S. 178) at North Railroad Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Main Street.
Harleyville is named for the Harley family who owned much of the land that comprises the present town. William "Cow Bill" Harley owned substantial property in this vicinity and raised cattle for the Charleston market. In 1885 he . . . — — Map (db m80897) HM
On St. Paul Campground Road (loop) (State Highway 18-734) near State Highway 18-378, in the median.
(Front text) This Methodist camp ground, one of four in Dorchester County, was established in 1880. African-American freedmen in this area held services in a brush arbor at the "Old Prayer Ground" nearby as early as 1869. By 1873 they . . . — — Map (db m48651) HM
On Bedham Drive (U.S. 78), on the right when traveling west.
This Neoclassical Revival
house, called "one of the
finest" in S.C. in 1920,
was built in 1912 for
Vernon Cosby Badham (1856-
1947) and his second wife
Leila Johnston. Badham, a
native of N.C., moved to
S.C. . . . — — Map (db m65964) HM
On Cypress Campground Road near Myers Mayo Road (South Carolina Highway 18-182).
(Front text) This camp ground, dating to 1794, is one of the oldest in S.C. Francis Asbury (1745-1816), circuit rider and the first Methodist bishop in America, preached here in 1794, 1799, 1801, and twice in 1803. The camp ground is . . . — — Map (db m41750) HM
On East Main Street (U.S. 178) near U.S. 78, in the median.
Forged in 1762 in Leicester,
England, this cannon was part
of an outpost located near here
to defend the causeway at Four
Holes Creek during the
Revolutionary War. It was
recovered from the creek
beneath six feet of silt by a
bridge . . . — — Map (db m26535) HM
On South Railroad Avenue at South Main Street, on the left when traveling east on South Railroad Avenue.
This town, in Colleton County before Dorchester County was founded in 1897, dates from 1831. It was one of the first stations on the S.C. Rail Road from Charleston to Hamburg. This area was called Ridgeville as early as 1820, for . . . — — Map (db m94530) HM
On South Parler Avenue (U.S. 15) at State Highway 18-99, on the right when traveling north on South Parler Avenue.
Began first successful scheduled
steam railroad service in America
on December 25, 1830, and by 1833
its 136 miles from Charleston
to Hamburg made it the world's
longest railroad. Now a part of
Southern Railroad System. — — Map (db m23049) HM
On Ridge Street at Raysor Street, on the right when traveling north on Ridge Street.
St. George Public High School
St. George High School was built in 1927 on the corner of Raysor and Ridge Sts. In 1936 the school district received a W.P.A. grant to build a new gymnasium. The building continued as a high . . . — — Map (db m103405) HM
On West 1st N Street at North Cedar Street, on the right when traveling west on West 1st N Street.
Alston Graded School Alston Graded School, one of the first African-American schools founded in Dorchester County, stood here from 1910 to 1954. Named for its founder, Dr. J.H. Alston, it included grades 1-11 until 1949 and 1-12 afterwards. . . . — — Map (db m27766) HM
In 1697, Congregationalist settlers from Dorchester, Massachusetts, founded a town where you now stand. For nearly 100 years, Dorchester prospered as an inland trade center for the region. Trade with Native Americans, the development of rice and . . . — — Map (db m22503) HM
The Ashley River served as an early highway between Dorchester and Charles Towne. It provided planters easy access to the largest market in Carolina for their crops. But as the colony expanded inland, it became an obstacle to overland travel and . . . — — Map (db m22554) HM
Wealth and prestige are often displayed by our homes and property.
This outline represents a Georgian home that once sat on lots 17
and 18. Described in 1786 as "a wooden house on brick
foundation," the house belonged to the Izard family, . . . — — Map (db m22555) HM
On State Park Road, on the right when traveling west.
Quiet and deserted today, this 'village green' once bustled with colonists buying, selling or trading livestock, supplies, and even slaves. Hoping that economics would spur growth, the 1723 Colonial legislature had decreed that weekly markets would . . . — — Map (db m22689) HM
A small brick building once stood here housing the Dorchester Free School. The school offered free education to omly a few poor students. All others paid tuition. Opportunities for white children to learn outside the home or shop was limited. Black . . . — — Map (db m22659) HM
A brick powder magazine enclosed by a tabby wall eight feet high was built here in 1757. During the Revolution, Dorchester was a strategic point. In 1775 the magazine was fortified and the garrison commanded by Capt. Francis Marion. British troops . . . — — Map (db m22831) HM
South Carolina began with only one settlement, Charles Towne. Soon colonists were pushing into the frontier. As plantations arose, merchants, doctors and craftsmen settled towns like Dorchester to support them. Trade routes - rivers, paths and roads . . . — — Map (db m22604) HM
On Ashley River Road (State Highway 61), on the right when traveling north.
These famous gardens were laid out about
1741 by Henry Middleton (1717-84), President
of Continental Congress. His son Arthur,
Signer of the Declaration Of Independence,
lived here as did his son Henry . . . — — Map (db m16281) HM
Newington Plantation was established on this site in the 1680s after Daniel Axtell recieved a royal grant of 300 acres. Axtell died shortly after arriving in the colony and his widow Rebecca built a house on the grant by the 1690s. In 1711 Lady . . . — — Map (db m23362) HM
On State Park Road, on the right when traveling south.
Laid out in 1697 as a market town for the Congregationalist colony from Dorchester, Mass., the village contained 116 quarter-acre lots and a town square and commons. An Anglican church was built in 1720, a fair was established in 1723, and a Free . . . — — Map (db m22721) HM
On Dorchester Road (State Highway 642), on the left when traveling east.
(Text front) This church was established in 1696 by settlers from Dorchester, Mass., for which the town of Dorchester was named. This brick sanctuary, built ca. 1700, was occupied and then burned by British troops in 1781. The church was . . . — — Map (db m23256) HM
On State Park Road, on the right when traveling south.
St. George's, an Anglican parish, was erected in 1717. A brick church 50 ft. long and 30 ft. wide with a chancel 15 by 5 feet, begun in August 1719, was enlarged in the 1730's. The tower was built before 1753 and in 1766 held four bells. Burned by . . . — — Map (db m22894) HM
On State Park Road, on the right when traveling east.
Angry with the Anglican Church, the Puritan Pilgrams left England in 1620. Their descendants, known as Congregationalists, founded Dorchester in the 1690s, only to endure South Carolina's 1706 declaration of Anglicanism as the colony's official . . . — — Map (db m22764) HM
On West Carolina Avenue near Congress Street, on the right when traveling north.
(Front text) The Old Town Hall, built ca. 1860, is the oldest public building in Summerville. Rev. Robert I. Limehouse (1815-1881), a Methodist minister and the town intendant, or mayor, purchased the site for the town hall that year. A jail . . . — — Map (db m28333) HM