Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Kinney County Texas Historical Markers

 
1873 Infantry Barracks additional view image, Touch for more information
By William F Haenn, January 25, 2015
1873 Infantry Barracks additional view
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 16385 — 1873 Infantry Barracks
Fort Clark by 1873 had grown to regimental size, compelling construction of six single-story infantry barracks and three two-story cavalry barracks by the U.S. Army Quartermaster Department. This one-story rectangular plan barracks was built of . . . — Map (db m82548) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 16260 — 2nd Cavalry Division at Fort Clark
In response to the U.S. experience during World War I, the army organized the 1st and 2nd Cavalry Divisions in 1921. However, the 2nd Cavalry Division was not activated until 1941 at Fort Riley, Kansas. Among the units assigned were the 9th and 10th . . . — Map (db m55473) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 12001 — Adjutant's Quarters (Quarters #20)
Erected during the 1873-1875 expansion of Fort Clark to accommodate and support an entire regiment, this structure differs from other quarters on the line in that it is a single dwelling rather than a duplex. The Fifth Regiment of the U.S. Cavalry . . . — Map (db m55415) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 15793 — Army Service Club
Occupying the site of Fort Clark’s first guardhouse, this 1938 structure served as a morale and welfare facility until 1944, when the U.S. Army closed the fort. The building was a recreation center for soldiers, and served as a non-commissioned . . . — Map (db m55004) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 16259 — Carver School Grounds
When Fort Clark’s Seminole-Negro Indian Scout Detachment was disbanded by the U.S. Army on September 30, 1914, the Seminoles were required to relocate to Brackettville. They held school in their church until new grounds were purchased by the . . . — Map (db m63227) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 14206 — Catholic Church
(Recorded Texas Historic Landmark) — Map (db m81649) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 1001 — Commanding Officer's Quarters
Fort Clark was established as a U.S. Army garrison in June 1852. Nine structures designed by U.S. Army engineers were built in 1873-1874 to house the fort's officers. This house served the fort's commanding officers, including Col. Ranald S. . . . — Map (db m102095) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 1243 — Dolores Townsite(About 8 miles south)
Only settlement founded in John Charles Beales' ill-fated Rio Grande colony of 1834-1836. Beales (1804-1878) -- empresario of 70,000,000 acres in present Southern and Western Texas and New Mexico -- was Texas' largest known land king. In 1833 he . . . — Map (db m82532) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 1 — Fight at Las Moras SpringOctober 13th, 1840
The early 19th century saw the emergence of the Comanche people as the undisputed lords of the Southwestern Plains of Texas. Comanches used Las Moras Spring Habitual resting place on their great eastern war trail during their annual migration . . . — Map (db m89562) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 12735 — Filippone Building
Italian stonemasons Giovanni B. Filippone (1845-1917) and Giovanni Cassinelli purchased property here in 1883-85 and in 1885 built the six-sided portion of this limestone block building. Filippone became sole owner in 1887 and operated a general . . . — Map (db m55428) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 1 — Forsyth Bridge
Named by the 5th Cavalry in 1938 for Colonel William Dennison Forsyth Commander of the Fifth U.S. Cavalry at Fort Clark, Aug 1921 - Feb 1924 Placed by "The Colonel's Daughter" Elizabeth Forsyth Scheuber 1995 — Map (db m55336) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 1075 — Fort Clark
A strategic installation in the U.S. Army's line of forts along the military road stretching from San Antonio to El Paso, Fort Clark was established in June 1852. Located near natural springs and Las Moras Creek, its site was considered a point of . . . — Map (db m36395) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 1976 — Fort Clark Guardhouse
Established in 1852, Fort Clark was manned by varying troop strengths over the years. This guardhouse was built in the 1870s during a period of fort expansion. A new stockade was built in 1942 to relieve overcrowding, and the guardhouse became . . . — Map (db m55411) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 2 — Fort Clark Historic DistrictEstablished 1852
Fort Clark Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior listed December 6, 1979 — Map (db m55547) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 12002 — Fort Clark Post Theater
Constructed in 1932, this building replaced an earlier Fort Clark Post Hall that served as a church, courtroom, theater, and recreational center. A utilitarian military design of clear span construction, brick walls, and a stucco veneer, the . . . — Map (db m55431) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 2079 — Fort Clark, CSA
Located southwest edge of town. Upon secession and surrender of U.S. posts, Texas troops occupied the fort to give protection against Indians. They seized the four 24 pounders and two 8-inch Howitzers located there and sent the cannon for use in . . . — Map (db m55427) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 18148 — John Horse
Born in Spanish Florida of a black mother and Seminole father in 1812, John Horse (also known as Juan Caballo, Juan Cavallo, or Gopher John) was a prominent leader of Seminole blacks during the 2nd Seminole War. After a valiant fight alongside . . . — Map (db m94937) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — Juan A. Avila 1921-2008"The Greatest Generation"
This young infantryman of the 102d Division stands “on guard” in the rubble of a defeated Germany in 1945 as a conquering hero. When he returned to his hometown after the war he got a job helping with the demolition of Fort Clark’s World . . . — Map (db m63262) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 13189 — Kinney County Courthouse
Human inhabitation of Kinney County began thousands of years ago. Spanish expeditions through the area began in 1535 and continued throughout subsequent centuries. An attempt at establishing a Franciscan mission in 1775 failed, as did settlement by . . . — Map (db m56235) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — Kinney County Jail
Kinney County’s first jail, a small square simple stone structure built by James Cornell in 1873 and torn down in 1922, stood across Ann Street on the courthouse grounds, where the flagpole now stands. This second county jail was accepted by the . . . — Map (db m55425) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 3040 — Las Moras Masonic Lodge Building(First County Courthouse)
Built in 1878-1879 to serve as the first county-owned courthouse for Kinney County, this structure served that purpose for thirty-two years. In 1911 it became the headquarters of the Las Moras Masonic Lodge, which was chartered in 1876. While the . . . — Map (db m55472) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 17807 — Las Moras Spring
As the ninth largest springs in Texas and the largest springs in Kinney County, Las Moras Spring is significant due to its location and invaluable natural resources. Moras, meaning “mulberries” in one Spanish translation, refer to . . . — Map (db m122591) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 13643 — Married Officers' Quarters 8-9
This single-story duplex once served as housing for married officers and their families at Fort Clark. The U.S. Army fort, established in 1852 to defend the western frontier of Texas and the border with Mexico, saw significant growth in the 1870s. . . . — Map (db m55008) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 362365 — Military Roads in Texas
The routes that moved troops in early Texas often followed old Indian trails, usually were little more than deep wagon ruts. This one, the Chihuahua Road—joining Ft. Clark with other southwest posts—was widely used, 1850-1880. The . . . — Map (db m63283) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 3440 — Montalvo House
Yldefonso Montalvo (1855-1941), also known by the name Obed Woods, built this dwelling about 1887. He used cedar pickets, caliche plaster, and other materials available in the area. Originally the kitchen and several outbuildings stood nearby. The . . . — Map (db m56494) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 15811 — New Cavalry Barracks
The earliest quarters for soldiers at Fort Clark were tents along Las Moras creek near the spring. During the fort’s 1870s building boom, three cavalry barracks were constructed, but by the late 1920s they had become too deteriorated for continued . . . — Map (db m55034) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 16424 — Officers' Club Open Mess
This building served Fort Clark from 1939 to 1944 and was named “Dickman Hall” after career cavalry officer, Maj. Gen. Joseph T. Dickman (1857-1927). The ground floor housed a lunge, dining room, tap room, kitchen, guest room, maid’s . . . — Map (db m65075) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 13963 — Officers Quarters 2-3 and 4
These two buildings date from 1854-55, soon after the U.S. Army established Fort Clark. The antebellum fort then included officers quarters and barracks for enlisted men, as well as a two-story quartermaster storehouse, powder magazine, hospital, . . . — Map (db m55421) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 3678 — Officers' Row Quarters
Fort Clark was established as a U.S. Army garrison in 1852. The original quarters were crude log huts and houses of palisade construction. In 1857, a new program began to replace badly dilapidated structures with buildings of quarried stone. . . . — Map (db m55438) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 16041 — Palisado Building Kitchen / Mess Room
This structure was built by the U.S. Army in 1869-70 and is an example of vertical post or jacal construction, used due to the absence of trees tall enough for traditional horizontal log construction. African American “Buffalo Soldiers” . . . — Map (db m55468) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 15039 — Partrick Building
In 1885 Dr. William Partrick commissioned adjoining commercial spaces at this site, operating a drug store in the single story and a dry goods store and hotel in the two-story section. Later outbuildings included a beer vault, windmill, elevated . . . — Map (db m55426) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 4638 — Seminole Indian Scouts' Cemetery(Founded on Fort Clark Reservation, Sept. 1, 1872)
Burial site of heroic U.S. Army men, families, and heirs. These Seminoles came mainly from Florida about 1850; lived in northern Mexico or Texas; joined Lt. (later a general) John L. Bullis and Col. Ranald S. Mackenzie in ridding Texas of hostile . . . — Map (db m55358) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 12933 — Seminole Scout Camp on Fort Clark
Under Spanish rule, Florida was a haven for freed or escaped slaves in the 1700s. Once there, many integrated into the Seminole tribe, intermarrying and adapting to the culture. Florida became a U.S. territory in 1821, and after approximately 30 . . . — Map (db m55323) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — Seminole-Negro Indian Scout Detachment1870-1914 — Fort Clark's Honor Guard
Insignias of "Indian Wars", "USS (United States Scouts)" and "United States Army For Service" are included along the top of the marker Fathers, sons, and brothers served side-by-side, each new generation becoming Scouts. Soldiering and . . . — Map (db m55412) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 16860 — Site of Original Post Cemetery
This ground was Fort Clark’s military cemetery from 1856 to the 1880s. One of the first burials was 2nd Lt. Brayton C. Ives, 1st Inf., a West Point graduate who died here on June 27, 1857. Succeeding burials included dozens of military personnel, . . . — Map (db m55430) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 5086 — Staff Officers' Quarters
The U.S. Army built nine stone officers’ quarters at Fort Clark beginning in 1873. The need soon arose for additional housing for senior staff officers, and this building was constructed in 1888. Built in a T-plan, the two-story stone duplex . . . — Map (db m55467) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — 15094 — U.S. Army Signal Corps Building
This building served as the communications center for Fort Clark from 1932-1944. The building is of tile brick construction with a veneer of irregular cut field stone. The original footprint was enlarged c. 1940 to accommodate barracks for enlisted . . . — Map (db m55310) HM
Texas (Kinney County), Brackettville — U.S. Army Unit MemorialFort Clark, Texas
Infantry Regiments 1st Infantry, 1852-1855; 1858-1859 3rd Infantry, 1860-1861 4th Infantry, 1902 5th Infantry, 1855-1856 8th Infantry, 1859 10th Infantry, 1872-1879 18th Infantry, 1889-1894 19th Infantry, 1882-1889 20th . . . — Map (db m56533) HM

38 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.