Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Placer County California Historical Markers

 
American Hotel Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, April 24, 2011
American Hotel Marker
California (Placer County), Auburn — American Hotel
Historical Landmark Site of American Hotel One of the early hotels Burned 1855 – Rebuilt 1857 Burned 1905 – Not Rebuilt — Map (db m44095) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — 138 - 06 — Auburn Depot
The Auburn depot is the fourth depot constructed (1902) on this hill. The original depot was constructed in 1865 when the Transcontinental Railroad came through Auburn. It burned down and was replaced in 1870. The second depot was sold and replaced . . . — Map (db m81586) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Auburn Depot
This building served the people of Auburn and Placer County for more than 90 years as both a passenger and freight station. The railroad track adjacent to this historic building is the original route location for the transcontinental railroad. . . . — Map (db m81594) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Auburn Drug Company
An old fashioned drugstore down to the vintage marble soda fountain, Auburn Drug Company was established in 1896 by James T. Gibson. It was first located on the upper left side of Railroad Street (now Lincoln Way), just below Freeman Hotel. It was . . . — Map (db m67555) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Auburn Iron Works
The Central Pacific Railroad reached Auburn in 1865. This site has been a blacksmithing shop since shortly thereafter. In 1890 it became known as Auburn Iron Works. Blacksmithing, one of the most valuable trades in the foothills, provided services . . . — Map (db m67556) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — GPY 135-9 — Auburn Native Sons Hall
Rebuilt in 1860 after a fire, George Willment resumed his mercantile business on the lower floor of this new fireproof building. The second floor was added at this time which was owned and operated by the Eureka Lodge #16 F&AM. In 1871, Willment . . . — Map (db m67551) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Auburn Post OfficeHistorical Landmark
. . . — Map (db m12358) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Auburn Public Library
Constructed in 1908-09 with a grant from the Andrew Carnegie Corporation. Building designed in the Greek Revival style of architecture by A.D. Fellows. Formally dedicated May 26, 1909, it housed the City Library for 59 years. Auburn City offices . . . — Map (db m31835) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Bloomers Cut
So named because of its location on the Bloomer Ranch, it remains virtually unchanged since its original construction in 1864. The overwhelming task of construction was undertaken by the diligent, hard working efforts of a small band of Chinese . . . — Map (db m93971) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Bosse-Morgan Building”Hop Sing Laundry”
Built in 1855 by Gordon. Early tenants included Gellespy & Co. Clothing and J. Harwood & Co. Tin and Hardware. Hop Sing operated a Chinese laundry here circa 1894 until his death in 1944. Purchased in 1897 by Henry Bosse, left to his daughters . . . — Map (db m43699) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Brye HouseBuilt 1882
This Colonial Revival home was originally constructed by Charles L. Simons. Simons came to Auburn in 1850 to try his hand at gold mining, but eventually became the owner of a saloon in town. The home was sold in 1901 to Fred Brye, a well-known local . . . — Map (db m81602) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Camp Flint
At the onset of World War II the U.S. Army's Western Defense Command and Fourth Army sought to secure the strategically important railroad through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. On December 9th 1941, soldiers of the 32nd Infantry Division arrived here . . . — Map (db m101363) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Central Square
Central Square: After the Central Pacific Railroad built a Train Depot, over a mile away and up the hill from Old Auburn, civic leaders looked for a way to connect the two areas. The city planners took a map and located a halfway point . . . — Map (db m52312) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Chinese Houses
Historical Landmark Chinese Houses Among the earliest buildings June 1855 fire started here Burned 80 buildings — Map (db m44069) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — 404 — City of Auburn
Gold discovered near here by Claude Chana May 16, 1848. Area first known as "North Fork" or "Wood's Dry Diggings". Settlement given name of Auburn in Fall of 1849. Soon became important mining town, trading post and stage terminal. County seat of . . . — Map (db m685) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Claude Chana
Adventurer and first fruit rancher in Placer County. In 1848 he found gold in the Auburn Ravine, which led to the settlement of a mining camp that later became Auburn. Lord Sholto Douglas Ch. 3 E Clampus Vitus 1975. — Map (db m686) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — East Auburn Bell Tower
Erected 1902 "Rattlers" 1988 Plaque donated by Mother Lode Savings Bank — Map (db m81619) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — 2008-6 — First Placer County Hospital219 Maple Street, Auburn, California
This building first constructed in 1852, opened on September 22, 1855 as the first Placer County Hospital. In 1890 the building was badly damaged by fire. At the time, the upstairs was the residence and gallery of photographer J.M. Jacobs and the . . . — Map (db m93966) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — 780-4 — First Transcontinental RailroadAuburn
After an eleven-month delay due to political opposition and lack of money, Central Pacific tracks reached Auburn May 13, 1865, and regualr service began. Government loans became available when the railroad completed its first 40 miles, four miles . . . — Map (db m54837) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Ford & Co. BuildingLincoln Way & Harrison Avenue
George Allen & Joseph Sandhorfer operated East Auburn’s first carriage, wagon, & harness shop in this building in 1896. Other building occupants over the years include: Burt & Locher General Merchandising A.F. Ford & Co., Grocers Ford . . . — Map (db m81603) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — G. Willment General Store
Historical Landmark Site G. Willment General Store Second floor was Mason Lodge Built 1852 – Burned 1855 Rebuilt & Dedicated Dec.,27, 1860 — Map (db m44075) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — General Gomez Cigar Factory
In 1892, Robert Wise opened a small cigar shop and factory on this site. Shortly there after, Mr. Wise took a business partner, Ernest Burns.

During peak times, the small factory was capable of producing as many as one thousand cigars a day. . . . — Map (db m114515) HM

California (Placer County), Auburn — Gietzen Fire Station
In honor of Henry Gietzen, Member of the Auburn Volunteer Fire Department since September 12, 1922; Fire Chief from 1946 to present. Dedicated in July 1974. William Chaix, Trustee; Egar E. Ganow, Trustee; Henry Gietzen, Fire Chief; J. A. . . . — Map (db m687) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Gold Bug Stamp Mill
The Gold Bug stamp mill was built in the 1880s in the Tahoe National Forest. The Gold Bug Mine, one of many smaller hardrock mines located throughout the Mother Lode, was established to protect the ownership of the main quartz vein of the Eagle Bird . . . — Map (db m94180) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Gold Discovered Just Downstream in Auburn Ravine! - Why Daylight North Rich Ravine?
[Kiosk Side A:] Gold Discovered Just Downstream in Auburn Ravine! On May 16, 1848, just downstream in Old Town Auburn where North Rich Ravine meets Auburn Ravine, gold was discovered by a Frenchman named Claude Chana. After leaving . . . — Map (db m52355) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Historical Auburn Fire House
Erected in 1891 by the volunteer firemen of Auburn Hook and Ladder Company No.2 with funds raised by public subscription. Dedicated May 21, 1892. In continuous use until 1954 — Map (db m11920) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Jacob Feldberg – L. Newman, Clothing
Historical Landmark Jacob Feldberg – L. Newman, Clothing 1850’s & 1860’s Magnolia Saloon – Star Bakery & Restaurant – H. Stone Groceries — Map (db m44091) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Jean Baptiste Charbonneau
As an infant in 1805, he accompanied his parents Toussaint Charbonneau and Sacagawea, as they guided the Lewis & Clark Expedition. He lived along the American River Canyon, at Murderer’s, Buckner’s, Rattlesnake & Manhattan Bars between 1848 and . . . — Map (db m44067) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Lawyers Row
Historical Landmark Lawyer’s Row – built 1855 by Anderson & Mills – Many lawyers here through the years Stars & Stripes paper pub. here 1867 to 1880’s by Hart Fellows Community Project — Map (db m44065) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Lincoln Avenue Businesses
When the mines closed in Gold Run, a local entrepreneur named Paul Webber moved his business to Auburn. He began with the purchase of this Lincoln Avenue building. Two saloons and three dry goods stores were the first to open. Years later, . . . — Map (db m124537) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Location of Camp Flint
The location of Camp Flint was on the hill just above this site now know as the "Auburn Dam Overlook". The site housed barracks for officers, enlisted men, and P.O.Ws. These Personnel were supported by a kitchen, mess hall, parade grounds, and a . . . — Map (db m101364) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Marguerite Mine “Quartz Rock”
The quartz rock on site here at the Auburn depot came from “The Marquerite (sic) Mine” of Auburn Donated by Don Robinson Don Robinson Sand & Gravel — Map (db m81625) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Odd Fellows Hall, Auburn Lodge #7Point of Historical Interest
Instituted in 1852, the first Odd Fellows Lodge organized in Placer County, seventh in California. Meetings were held in several different locations until this building was erected in 1894. Bricks used in construction were made and fired on this . . . — Map (db m31842) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Old Masonic Hall Erected 1860
Occupied by Eureka Lodge No. 16 F.A.M. Much of the material and furnishings came to Auburn via Cape Horn S.A. This plaque is dedicated to the Pioneers of Auburn by Auburn Parlor No. 232 Native Daughters of the Golden West June 11, 1933 — Map (db m44071) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — 2008-10 — Olivers
In 1889 Walter Gaffett set up a powder factory which was part of the Giant Powder Company from the Bay Area. It's reported that 22 people died from explosions by 1917 when the factory was dismantled. This building originally was the company store. . . . — Map (db m67550) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Placer County Bank
Historical Landmark First home of Placer Co. Bank Estb. Oct. 5, 1887 Moved uptown 1913 & merged with Bank of California 1957 — Map (db m44093) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Placer County CourthouseHistorical Landmark
Site of First Public Hanging Area and Graveyard Third Courthouse Cornerstone Laid July 4, 1894 Dedicated July 4, 1898 — Map (db m12340) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Placer County Museum
Built originally as mining exhibit hall on the 20th Agricultural District Fairgrounds, this building was constructed in the 1940s by the W.P.A. Crew from nearby Camp Flint. Placer County Historical Society secured use of a portion of the building . . . — Map (db m101366) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Placer Press
Historical Landmark Nearby in this area 1850’s Placer Press paper 1855 to 1858 Above the pioneer livery stable Temple Saloon & Post-Office 1853 — Map (db m44088) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Southern Pacific Caboose
This caboose built by Southern Pacific in 1978 was purchased from Jim Dobbas, Inc. of Newcastle and moved to the Auburn depot site Nov. 12, 1990 Purchase of the caboose was made possible by a grant from Bank of America Foundation Grant was . . . — Map (db m81600) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — The Auburn Joss House
Auburn’s original joss house (dedicated February 1909) was located directly across Sacramento Street. After the August 25, 1921 fire that destroyed most of Chinatown, a building was erected here that later became home to the Ling Ying Association. . . . — Map (db m43696) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — The Auburn Masonic Hall
The Auburn Masonic Hall was completed in 1917. Since completion it has been home to Eureka Lodge No.16, F. & A. M. The building is clad in beautiful terra cotta manufactured by the Placer County firm of Gladdin McBean. It is the last remaining . . . — Map (db m31811) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — The Chinese Coolie
Dr. Kenneth H. Fox crafted this statue from 1 mile of reinforced steel rebar and 35 cubic yards of concrete. The “Chinese Coolie” stands 22 feet high, is 33 feet long and weighs 70 tons. This giant statue relocated to this historic . . . — Map (db m81597) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — The Historic Cooper Amphitheater
Kiosk Side A: Creating Jobs and Building Community It started as an ”unsightly maze and tangle of briars, brush and junk”… It became ”one of the finest open air amphitheaters in northern . . . — Map (db m52855) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — The Junction House
An early hotel and stage station located on this site marked the junction of roads from Auburn to Foresthill and Illinoistown. In 1854, the home of “The Auburn Poetess,” Mary Eulalie Shannon, reputed to be California’s first woman poet. . . . — Map (db m81604) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — The Tsuda Grocery
Katsuichi and Tomo Tsuda of Hiroshima, Japan established the K. Tsuda General Merchandise in 1918. That original store was located at 135 Sacramento Street, about one block east of this location. The business continued to operate at that site until . . . — Map (db m55649) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Travelers’ Rest (Bernhard Complex)
Travelers’ Rest Stage Roadhouse constructed 1851. Benjamin Bernhard, native of Hesse-Cassel, Germany, arrived Auburn 1852, purchased surrounding 30 acres 1868. Developed high level vineyard and orchard cultivation and pioneered experimental silkworm . . . — Map (db m690) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Veteran's Memorial Hall
This property served as the Old Auburn Cemetery, established in the 1850's. About 1893, legislation permitted grave relocation to the Odd Fellows Cemetery, subsequently making possible creation of Sierra Park on these grounds. Agreement was reached . . . — Map (db m81799) WM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Wells Fargo Express Office – 1852
Historical Landmark Wells Fargo Express Office – 1852 And Hollenbeck Bank Opp. Firehouse — Map (db m44094) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Western States Endurance Run Finish Line
Following the example of Gordy Ainsleigh in 1974, each year runners from around the world meet the challenge of completing on foot the rugged 100-mile distance of the historic Western States Trail from Squaw Valley to this stadium. Placer Union High . . . — Map (db m95777) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Butcher Shop
. . . — Map (db m45257) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — 780-9 — Cape Horn Promontory
View of Cape Horn Promontory North Fork American River Canyon Dedicated to the memory of thousands of Chinese who worked for Charles Crocker on the Central Pacific Railroad . They were lowered over the face of Cape Horn Promontory in . . . — Map (db m14437) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — 780-5 — ColfaxFirst Transcontinental Railroad
Central Pacific Railroad reached Colfax, formerly Illinoistown September 1, 1865, and train service began four days later. Colfax was a vital construction supply depot and junction point for stage lines for ten months. It was renamed Governor . . . — Map (db m13081) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Colfax Freight DepotListed in the National Register of Historic Places — 14 Nov. 1999 NPS. 99001564-000
Built circa 1880 by Central Pacific Railroad Company. Constructed of wood using Standard S.P. design known as Freight House #2. Exhibiting the Victorian era stick style. This building is the only freight depot of this type remaining in Placer . . . — Map (db m10980) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Colfax Methodist Church
Founded by Circuit Riders – 1868 Sanctuary Built – 1874 — Map (db m45166) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Colfax Passenger Depot
Placed on the National Registry of Historic Places 15 January 1999 Built in 1905 by Southern Pacific Railroad in what SPRR called the Colonnade style. It is the only remaining depot of this type in Placer County. It was used as a passenger . . . — Map (db m45156) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Colfax RecordLot 14 Bl 4 Crocker to Kohn & Kind -22 July 1865
Established Nov. 26, 1908 This office built 1930 ————— Plaque in Memory of Pat Jones, Historian Writer – Colfax Record 1961-1983 Author – The Colfax Connection Donor – Printing Press . . . — Map (db m45167) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — First Brick Building in ColfaxErected 1865
By R.S. Egbert & Wm. Wallace of Illinoistown as a General Merchandise Store Present Owners: David & Margaret Marson — Map (db m45379) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Historic Bell From St. Dominic's Church at Iowa Hill
Bell was originally erected there in 1860. It was place here in October 1988. — Map (db m45233) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Illinoistown Lodge No. 51
Free and Accepted Masons Chartered by Grand Lodge of California On May 6, 1854 at Illinoistown (about a half mile South of Colfax) A special Central Pacific train brought the Sacramento Coronet Band and fifty guests for the Dedication of this . . . — Map (db m45277) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — IOOF Hall
Independent Order of Odd Fellows Colfax Lodge No. 132 Instituted 18 April, 1867 This brick building acquired and used by IOOF since 26 August, 1889 — Map (db m45279) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — 40 — Iowa Hill
Gold discovered here in 1853, and by 1856 weekly production was estimated at one hundred thousand dollars. The total value of gold produced up to 1880 is placed at twenty million dollars. The town was destroyed by fire in 1857 and again in 1862; . . . — Map (db m44036) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Jacob Keck, Sr.Colfax Pioneer
Erected this brick building Circa 1865 as a Trading Post — Map (db m45260) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Jacob Keck, Sr.Colfax Pioneer
Erected this brick building Circa 1865 as a Saloon — Map (db m45261) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — John Butler, Druggist
Charles Crocker, Trustee Central Pacific Railroad Sold on October 29, 1896 to John Butler, Druggist Established Colfax Drug Store One of the oldest pharmacies in California Richard . . . — Map (db m45263) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Leopold & Josephine Lobner
. . . — Map (db m45378) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Memorial Hall
Built in honor of World War 1 Veterans on the site of W.H. Russell’s Livery Stable by Colfax Post 192 American Legion 23 Apr. 1927 Cornerstone laid & building dedicated for community use 26 June 1928 Agreement: Joint ownership . . . — Map (db m45232) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Murphy’s Saloon
. . . — Map (db m45376) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad1876 – 1942 — Placer County Terminus
Depot was 100 yards N.E. of this spot. Built by John Flint Kidder between 1874-76. It ran 22 miles from Colfax to Nevada City via Grass Valley. Rails taken up on 1942. Sarah Kidder, widow of builder , world’s first woman railroad president 1901 . . . — Map (db m14438) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Robert G. Fowler - ColfaxSept. 13 - 23 — 1911
Near this site, the shattered remains of Robert G. Fowler’s Wright Model B biplane was rebuilt following a crash near Alta on the second day of his west to east flight. The ten-day rebuilding effort, which took place alongside the railroad track in . . . — Map (db m45157) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Schuyler Colfax1865
Schuyler Colfax, Speaker of the House of Representatives, was asked by President Abraham Lincoln on April 14 to take a message to the miners of the west, that their prosperity is the prosperity of the Nation. These may have been Lincoln’s last words . . . — Map (db m10976) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — The Railhead Saloon
Historic Lot 6 – Block 3 1865 Original Sale C. Crocker to Kohn & Kind 1867- 1918 Ownerships E.S. Yeats • Thomas Woodliff • Levi Leeds • John Kneeland & Family • John River • Avila Demers • Louis & Elvira Rugani 1946 Owners Gilbert . . . — Map (db m45262) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — The Stevens Trail
This trail was originally established as a toll road in 1859 by Truman Allen Stevens. The trail went down to the bottom of the American River Canyon and back up the other side to Colfax via a bridge that is no longer in existence. This road was in . . . — Map (db m45154) HM
California (Placer County), Dutch Flat — Adobe Store Building
Built by Chinese in 1870's Instead of brick they used a solid wall type construction — Map (db m44643) HM
California (Placer County), Dutch Flat — 397 — Dutch Flat
Founded in the Spring of 1861 by Joseph and Charles Dornbach. From 1854 to 1882 it was noted for its rich hydraulic mines. In 1860 had the largest voting population in Placer County. Chinese inhabitants numbered about 2,000. Here Theodore Judah and . . . — Map (db m549) HM
California (Placer County), Emigrant Gap — 5 — Big BendHwy 40 Scenic Bypass
History Stop and listen. Be very quiet. People have been traveling past this "Big Bend" in the Yuba River for thousands of years. It's a natural migration route and the Ranger station and museum are only the most recent arrivals. Maybe if . . . — Map (db m105166) HM
California (Placer County), Emigrant Gap — 3 — Forest Gift Shop, Cisco GroveHwy 40 Scenic Bypass
History Before the coming of I-80 all traffic crossing Donner Summit came right through here. Cisco Grove was an active little community oriented to highway travelers. If you look closely here you will see the ruins of foundations of the . . . — Map (db m105152) HM
California (Placer County), Emigrant Gap — 4 — Lincoln HighwayHwy 40 Scenic Bypass
History "An uplifting of the soul is sure to follow this contact with Nature in her majesty, and Self becomes smaller and smaller as we realize the immensity of things in traversing this country." -- 1924 Complete Official Road Guide of . . . — Map (db m105154) HM
California (Placer County), Emigrant Gap — Susan's SpotAuburn Artist and Environmental Planner — 1948-2003
Dedicated to Susan Cooley-Gilliom This was Susan's favorite spot for photographing and painting the South Yuba River, which she cherished in all season. When Placer Legacy first began negotiations to preserve this land, Susan was a key . . . — Map (db m105153) HM
California (Placer County), Forest Hill — 398 — Yankee Jim's
Gold was discovered here in 1850 by 'Yankee Jim,' a reputed lawless character, and by 1857 the town was one of the most important in Placer County. The first mining ditch in the county was constructed here by H. Starr and Eugene Phelps. Colonel . . . — Map (db m11924) HM
California (Placer County), Foresthill — Compressed Air Engine
This engine, powered by compressed air, began operation in the late 1880’s and ceased around 1909. The engine was used to remove gold ore from the Red Point Mine, located approximately 12 miles north-east of Foresthill. This area, mined heavily from . . . — Map (db m44041) HM
California (Placer County), Foresthill — 399 — Forest Hill
Gold discovered here in 1850 in which year the first "Forest House" built. In 1852 the Jenny Lind Mine found which produced over million dollars in gold while the mines in this immediate vicinity produced over ten million dollars up to 1868. Town an . . . — Map (db m672) HM
California (Placer County), Foresthill — Foresthill General Store
First structure in Foresthill. Built in 1857, it served the early miners and residents for over 110 years. It was a general store and early stop on the Auburn-Foresthill-Georgetown stage run. — Map (db m44040) HM
California (Placer County), Foresthill — Foresthill Protestant Cemetery
This cemetery started in the early 1850's during the gold rush. The earliest monument is dated 1858. This plaque erected January 1994 Donated by the Foresthill Cemetery Committee and Ruhkala Monument Co., Rocklin — Map (db m38175) HM
California (Placer County), Foresthill — Foresthill School Bell
The first Foresthill School was established in 1858. This plaque presented on 100th Anniversary. P.T.A. — Map (db m67719) HM
California (Placer County), Foresthill — Old Joe
On the day of July 3, 1901 a stagecoach, driven by Henry Crockett, was on its way to the town of Foresthill when a hooded man appeared with a shotgun and ordered Crockett to stop, to which he replied, “You are only foolin.” At that the . . . — Map (db m667) HM
California (Placer County), Foresthill — Pioneers of Deadwood
Native Sons of the Golden West are proud to donate this plaque to commemorate the Pioneers of Deadwood Placer County, California Those gold seekers developed a mining community here along the El Dorado Trail which also served such . . . — Map (db m678) HM
California (Placer County), Foresthill — St. Joseph’s Catholic Church Bell
Cast in Sheffield by Naylor Vickers and Co. -1859 – E. Riepe’s Patent no 1027, arrived in Boston 1862 then shipped around the Horn to San Francisco via boat to Sacramento and by six horse team to Forest Hill. Miners raised $3,500 to pay for it . . . — Map (db m44039) HM
California (Placer County), Gold Hill — Hydraulic Mining
Hydraulic mining shaped the reddish cliffs along this highway corridor. From the 1850’s until 1885 jets of water were used to break down gold-laden gravel and to wash the material through gold separating devises called sluices. This practice was . . . — Map (db m23666) HM
California (Placer County), Gold Run — Chinese Railroad Workers
About 1000 feet from this location is the track of the Transcontinental Railroad. In 1865 thousands of Chinese in Kwantung Provence China were recruited to work on this great connection between the East and West Coast . This monument is dedicated to . . . — Map (db m48856) HM
California (Placer County), Gold Run — 405 — Gold Run
Founded in 1854 by O. W. Hollenbeck and originally called Mountain Springs. Famed for its hydraulic mines which from 1865 to 1878 shipped $6,125,000.00 in gold. Five large water ditches passed through the town serving the mining companies which had . . . — Map (db m1101) HM
California (Placer County), Granite Bay — 585 — Pioneer Express Trail
Between 1849 and 1854, Pioneer Express riders rode this gold rush trail to the many populous mining camps on the American River bars now covered by Folsom Lake. - Beals, Condemned, Dotons, Long, Horseshoe, Rattlesnake, and Oregon - on the route to . . . — Map (db m10202) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — Beerman Plaza
Fritz Beerman and his son, Charles, came to Lincoln in 1880 and worked together in the harness and saddle shop at 5th and F Streets. Charles served as Lincoln’s Town Treasurer after the election of 1892. Dedicated in December of 1991 Lincoln . . . — Map (db m17722) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — Butterfield/Jansen Building[Early History; Corner Site Only]
1859: Charles Lincoln Wilson buys this site, previously patented by Theodore Judah. 1861: C.L. Wilson erects a wooden warehouse to serve railway terminal across 5th street. 1863: Used often as a community hall, “Roods . . . — Map (db m17835) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — Colonel C. Lincoln Wilson
Founder of the City of Lincoln First president of the Sacramento Valley Railroad Founder of the California Central Railroad Colonel Wilson came to California in 1849 not to look for gold but to build a transportation industry. After . . . — Map (db m41008) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — Emmada Building
Erected in 1863 as Good Templars Hall Original building, 30' wide, 2 stories (537 G) Expanded south in 1913 by Williamson & Ingram (Their wives, Emma and Ada, ="Emmada") First grammar school in 1864 Becomes Granger Hall in 1875 . . . — Map (db m25628) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — First Clay Pipe Plant in the West
Discovery of high grade clay deposits in the area in 1874 led to the founding of Gladding, McBean & Co. by Charles Gladding, Peter McGill McBean and George Chambers and erection on this site of the first clay sewer pipe west of the Rocky Mountains . . . — Map (db m40947) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — Fleming Building
Erected in 1863 – 1864 By John Ziegenbein as a general store Sold to Herman Lohse 1879; to George Aldrich 1881; To A.C. Fleming (& Alex Hemphill) in 1888 Bank of Lincoln, Lincoln’s first bank, here 1902 – 1911 U.S. Post . . . — Map (db m17784) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — Fruitvale School / Country School Era in Western Placer
Fruitvale School Fruitvale School District, formed in 1888, bought a one and half acre site from Jeremiah and Elizabeth Fowler on which this school was built in 1889. Lewis Gage was the first teacher here. Additions to the structure were made . . . — Map (db m42040) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — I O O F Building
Erected in 1864 By International Order of Odd Fellows Originally 24 feet (front) by 80 feet (along alley) Two stories high; outside stairway on alley side expanded east to present size in 1905, adding four windows and inside stairway . . . — Map (db m17876) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — Lincoln World War II Memorial
In memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II [Left Column:] Lawrence Berry • Carl Bohnisch • Etollo Carnesecca • Rene Clark • Bowman Carmichael [Center Column:] Stephen Davison • Michael Dougherty . . . — Map (db m40911) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — ManzanitaSince 1850
First called Manzanita Grove. Dense brush provided a rustlers’ hideout and corral. Area burial site, 1855, with public support: "Manzanita Grove Cemetery Association.” Site of Manzanita School 1857 – 1899. Land for school and . . . — Map (db m40824) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — McTyeire Memorial Church
(Named in 1891 by first pastor, Rev. H.M. McKnight, in honor of Bishop Holland McTyeire, founder of Vanderbilt University.) The Lincoln Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized in February 1889 with 22 members. Ground was broken for the . . . — Map (db m16947) HM
California (Placer County), Lincoln — New Hoppert Building
Owned by Hoppert Family since 1870's. (Descendant Cathryn Gates has title in 2002) 1862 - Small wooden building: "John Cannon, Attorney and Counselor-at-Law." 1870 - Christopher Hoppert buys this parcel and building, plus several to the . . . — Map (db m17978) HM
California (Placer County), Loomis — Loomis
Loomis Named After James Oscar Loomis 1830 – 1895 This community was founded in 1850 and originally named “The Grove” by gold miners who settled along Secret Ravine one mile east of here. Forming . . . — Map (db m91090) HM
California (Placer County), Loomis — Loomis - Transcontinental Railroad
The western branch of the Transcontinental Railroad, the Central Pacific, laid track to this exact point on May 21, 1864. The Central Pacific met its eastern counterpart, the Union Pacific Railroad, at Promontory Summit, Utah, on May 10, 1869. . . . — Map (db m91108) HM
California (Placer County), Loomis — Loomis Town Hall
Built in 1918, as the Bank of Loomis, this building replaced the Bank of Loomis across the street, which is now the Nelthorpe and Sons building. Through the years, it became the Bank of America, the Bank of California, and then the office of the . . . — Map (db m91082) HM
California (Placer County), Michigan Bluff — 402 — Michigan Bluff
Founded in 1850 and first known as Michigan City which was located on slope one half mile from here. In 1858 town became undermined and unsafe so was moved to this location and renamed Michigan Bluff. Leland Stanford, who gained wealth and fame in . . . — Map (db m691) HM
California (Placer County), Michigan Bluff — Michigan Bluff to Last Chance
A historic section of the Western States Trail through the Sierra Nevada. Michigan Bluff–Last Chance Trail. The Michigan Bluff to Last Change section of the Western States Trail was built in 1850 and later became a . . . — Map (db m692) HM
California (Placer County), Newcastle — 780-3 — NewcastleFirst Transcontinental Railroad
Regular freight and passenger trains began operating over the first 31 miles of Central Pacific's line to Newcastle on June 10, 1864, when political opposition and lack of money stopped further construction during that mild winter. Construction was . . . — Map (db m11141) HM
California (Placer County), Newcastle — Newcastle Portuguese Hall
This property Newcastle Portuguese Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m684) HM
California (Placer County), Newcastle — 463 — Town of Ophir
(Original marker, which was stolen in 2012. See Photo #1) Founded in 1849 as 'The Spanish Corral,' Area proved so rich that Biblical name of Ophir adopted in 1850. Most populous town in Placer County in 1852, polling 500 votes. Almost . . . — Map (db m11922) HM
California (Placer County), Newcastle — 400 — Virginiatown
Founded June 1851 - Commonly called 'Virginia.' Over 2,000 miners worked rich deposits. Captain John Brislow built California's first railroad, 1852, to carry pay to Auburn Ravine, a distance of one mile. Site of Philip Armour's and George Aldrich's . . . — Map (db m10973) HM
California (Placer County), Nyack — 403 — Emigrant Gap
The spring of 1845 saw the first covered wagons to surmount the Sierra Nevada Mountains. They left this valley, ascended to the ridge and turned westward to Old Emigrant Gap. The wagons were lowered by ropes to the floor of Bear Valley. Hundreds . . . — Map (db m548) HM
California (Placer County), Olympic Valley — 724 — Pioneer Ski Area of AmericaSquaw Valley, California
One thousand competitors from 34 nations came to Squaw Valley to compete in the VIII Olympic Winter Games of 1960. The Games, brought here by Alexander C. Cushing, commemorated a century of sport skiing in America. By 1860 mining towns in the Sierra . . . — Map (db m23504) HM
California (Placer County), Penryn — 885 — Griffith Quarry
In the Fall of 1864, Mr. Griffith Griffith, a native of Wales, established the quarry located near this site which was later to supply high-quality granite for a number of the important buildings in San Francisco and Sacramento, including portions . . . — Map (db m683) HM
California (Placer County), Rocklin — Old St. Mary’s͠ Dedicated 1883 ͠
Rocklin’s Irish community started to raise funds to build their own church – it was St. Patrick’s Day; the year, 1881. Two years later this building was completed. Archbishop Joseph Alemany of San Francisco dedicated the building as St. Mary’s . . . — Map (db m23004) HM
California (Placer County), Rocklin — 780-2 — RocklinFirst Transcontinental Railroad
Central Pacific reached Rocklin, 22 miles from its Sacramento Terminus, in May, 1864, when the railroad established a major locomotive terminal here. Trains moving over the Sierra were generally cut in two sections at this point, in order to ascend . . . — Map (db m11088) HM
California (Placer County), Rocklin — Rocklin Veterans Memorial
This memorial is dedicated in memory of all the men and women from the Rocklin area who made the sacrifice to protect our lives and property while serving in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. We stand in deep . . . — Map (db m22992) HM
California (Placer County), Rocklin — The Finnish Temperance Hall
. . . — Map (db m23388) HM
California (Placer County), Rocklin — The Fletcher Moon House
The house is typical of the era (Circa 1905 – 1910). It was built for Henry D. Fletcher M.D. and served as his medical office until 1920. Businessman C.A. Moon purchased the house in 1936. — Map (db m23425) HM
California (Placer County), Rocklin — Trott Hotel
The Trott Hotel was built in 1866 and was one of the first hotels in Rocklin. The hotel was built and operated by Samuel Trott. It burned down in Nov. 1869 with the loss of one life. It was rebuilt that same year. The south portion was torn down in . . . — Map (db m23037) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Bank of Italy Building
Original site of Clark Home 1886 – 1907 Site of Roseville Banking & Trust Co. 1907 -1920 Acquired by Bank of Italy 1920 Present building constructed For Bank of America 1927 Occupied until 1966 Roseville Press Tribune . . . — Map (db m37168) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Benito Juarez1807 - 1872
President of Mexico 1858-1872 Successfully led his country against the Empire of Maximilian and pronounced these immortal words: "The respect for the rights of others is peace" Donated by Alberto and Carmen Heredia and Family Dedicated . . . — Map (db m91373) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Chicago West Building
Between 1916 and 1924, a series of costly and destructive fires leveled many of the original wooden structures on Roseville's north side. Built in the 1920's by J.H. Herring, this brick structure rose during a wave of rebuilding that followed . . . — Map (db m91389) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Eagles Hall
Built in 1912, various businesses have occupied this building over the years, including Placer Savings, the Rainbow Club, Schmidt's Delicatessen and Dutra Liquors. Known as Gordon Hall, the upstairs became a popular gathering place used by . . . — Map (db m91386) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — 4 — Lest We Forget
This monument has been erected to honor the memory of eleven local railroad workers who met untimely deaths in a tragic train accident between Roseville and Lincoln on April 8, 1935. Louis Apostolas • Arnold Caballero • Sam Darras • Tony Espinoza . . . — Map (db m37235) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Maidu Interpretive Center
Petroglyph Area “Petro” means rock, “Glyph” means writing. Archeologists speculate that pre-historic cultures used petroglyphs to depict aspects of ceremonial significance. These petroglyphs, which are carved in . . . — Map (db m23427) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — McRae BuildingBuilt 1908
The “McRae Opera House” on the upper floor was Roseville’s main social hall through the 1920’s – being used for meetings, plays and dances. It was here that town meetings which led to Roseville’s incorporation were held. For a time . . . — Map (db m37162) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Onyx Club
1908 - Building built by A.B. Broyer and operated as a furniture store. 1014 - Purchased by M.B. Johnson and operated as a hardware store. 1936 - Purchased by Ulisse Gemignani and Louie Milani, opened as the Onyx Saloon . . . — Map (db m37164) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Railroad Hobbies Building119 Vernon Street
1907 Site of one of Roseville's first auto garage 1910 Re-modeled to be the Doris Theater 1912-1913 Daytime use for Roseville High classes 1914-1922 Saugstad Brothers Automotive Garage 1932 Building destroyed by fire 1939-1960 . . . — Map (db m91390) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — 780-1 — RosevilleFirst Transcontinental Railroad
Central Pacific graders reached Junction, now Roseville, on November 23, 1863, crossing the line of the California Central, which began building northward from Folsom in May 1858. That line was abandoned in 1868. CP’s track reached Junction April . . . — Map (db m11079) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Roseville - Placer County Vietnam Memorial
In honor of the Air Force, Army, Marine and Navy Veterans of Placer County who served their country proudly in The Vietnam Conflict. 1961 – 1973 Lance Corporal Bruce Wayne Brace – Marines • Specialist 5 Danny Kaye Rich . . . — Map (db m37142) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — 1 — Roseville Carnegie Library
Concerned by the lack of adequate library facilities in 1910, the Women’s Improvement Club convinced the City Board of Trustees to contribute $2,000 and to apply to Andrew Carnegie for a $10,000 grant which they received on April 25, 1911. The land . . . — Map (db m40182) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Roseville Korean War Veterans Memorial
[Column 1:] Albert Ace • Louis Alvarez • Harlin Amick • Rollin Amick • Joseph Andrade • Ralph L. Andrade • Reyes Andrade • John Arivo • Larry Arnett • Julian Assad • Eddie Astill • Manfred Astill* Lowell Baggett • Tony Basque • . . . — Map (db m52762) WM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Roseville V.F.W. Post 1661 Veterans Memorial
In Memory of Our Heroic Dead Manfred W. Astill • George W. Baker • Joseph A. Bews • Gerald F. Bush • Alyn W. Butler • Gregory Collins • Thomas W. Dorsey • William Ely • Joaquin M. Gayaldo • James R. Goddard • Charles W. Gray • Claude . . . — Map (db m91370) WM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Roseville Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of the service men and women who paid the supreme sacrifice in the wars of The U.S.A. — Map (db m37144) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — 3 — Roseville’s First City Hall
In April 1909, the newly incorporated City of Roseville leased the upper level of the historic two story J.D. Pratt, later William Sawtell, store building at the corner of Pacific and Lincoln Streets for use as the town’s first City Hall. Rent . . . — Map (db m37174) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Southern Pacific Railroad No. 2252 Steam Locomotive
In the early 1900s a decision by Southern Pacific Railroad to relocate the regional operations to this area helped turn a small town once known as Junction into the City of Roseville. Locomotive 2252 is a symbol of this history and of the social and . . . — Map (db m37150) HM
California (Placer County), Sheridan — Sheridan Cemetery
1875 – Sheridan’s founder, Eugene Rogers, buried friend Quincy Stanclift (1849-1875) here. Rogers soon married Quincy Stanclift’s sister Adelaide. The site became the family’s private cemetery. 1888 - Eugene Rogers sold two acres . . . — Map (db m42048) HM
California (Placer County), Sheridan — Union Shed
Settled in 1855 by E.C. Rodgers. In 1857 the "shed", a one story house 24' x 80' and an enclosed shed building 40' x 40' x 20' were built. With these buildings, corral and stable facilities, Union Shed became a wagon and freight trails crossroads . . . — Map (db m17146) HM
California (Placer County), Soda Springs — 799-2 — Overland Emigrant Trail
It is estimated more than 30,000 settlers came into California over this trail in the year 1849. Near this site outcroppings of rocks still bear the marks of wagon wheels. For those travelers who reached this point the next ordeal was the tortuous . . . — Map (db m95507) HM
California (Placer County), Soda Springs — 6 — Rainbow Lodge
History Rainbow Tavern, as it was known, was built in 1927 by Herstle Jones who also built Nyack Lodge. He was the brother of Oscar Jones who built the Soda Springs Hotel. Rainbow Lodge served as a way spot for summer travelers over the . . . — Map (db m95575) HM
California (Placer County), Soda Springs — Stephens-Townsend-Murphy Party
In 1844, the Stephens-Townsend-Murphy Party became the first wagon party to cross the Sierra Nevada. A portion of the group spent the winter nearby along the Yuba River, before continuing to Sutter's Fort in the spring of 1845. Their pioneering . . . — Map (db m95508) HM
California (Placer County), Soda Springs — T-43 — Truckee Trail - Through Boulder Field
You take off to the left of the valey [sic] (Summit Valley) Travel over much bad road The rock is all through the wood looking like waggons [sic] white cows and sheep Micajah Littleton, Sep 28, 1850 — Map (db m95644) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — A Safe Harbor
Business and tourists Outlet point is the location where the waters of Lake Tahoe find their only release from the lake basin along the Lower Truckee River at Tahoe City The sheltered inlet of the Truckee River mouth provided safe harbor . . . — Map (db m34932) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — A Tradition of BasketmakingArt For the Market
Basketmaking is a tradition of the Washoe people of the Breat Basin that dates back thousands of years. Different types of baskets were made for holding water and cooking, winnowing seeds and nuts, collecting and storing food, catching fish and . . . — Map (db m112968) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Conflict Over Water
Controlling the flow of water through Lake Tahoe's Truckee River outlet The Donner Lumber and Boom Company built the first dam across the Truckee River outlet in Tahoe City in 1872. Water released through the dam controlled the flow of logs . . . — Map (db m112966) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Development & Conflict
In the 1890s, the decline in silver mining on the Comstock in Nevada reduced the demand for lumber from the Lake Tahoe basin. Local businessman Duane L. Bliss, owner of Carson and Tahoe Lumber and Fluming Company, recognized a new business . . . — Map (db m112973) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Duane Leroy Bliss1833 – 1907
Timber baron and transportation mogul, D.L. Bliss – a one time Nevada banker – was best known for the railroads and steamships that he introduced to the Lake Tahoe Basin. He organized the Carson & Tahoe Lumber & Fluming Co. in 1871 and . . . — Map (db m34505) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Early Tahoe City
Tahoe City of the 1860s was a very different place than today. The first businesses include hay production, logging and fishing for native Lahontan cutthroat trout. Comstock Lode silver mining created short-lived boomtowns like Knoxville, . . . — Map (db m34521) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Grand Central Hotel
Called the finest establishment between San Francisco and Virginia City, this elegant three and a half story resort signified the start of North Tahoe's tourist industry. Terminal for the Tahoe-Truckee Flyer Stage Line And host To the lake's . . . — Map (db m100218) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Lake TahoeTahoe Summer Home
Native people first lived along Lake Tahoe's shoreline over 9,000 years ago when retreating glaciers blocked most corridors to the lake. Lake Tahoe came to be the center of traditional Washoe life. Their legends describe every aspect of the . . . — Map (db m112969) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — 797 — Lake Tahoe Outlet Works and Gatekeepers Cabin
The first outlet works were constructed in 1870 by Colonel A.W. Von Schmidt. The stone and timber crib structure soon passed to the Donner Lumber & Boom Co. who continued to regulate, for a fee, the water flow for floatation of logs and, later, . . . — Map (db m34498) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Olympic Silver, 1956 to 1971The Olympics Are Coming!
News that the 1960 Winter Olympics were coming to tiny Squaw Valley and to Lake Tahoe’s West Shore marked a milestone in Tahoe City development. All at once Lake Tahoe became known world-wide. Many new facilities were built for the Olympics, with . . . — Map (db m37441) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Pioneer Tourism, 1896 to 1926Tourists Come to Lake Tahoe
Think about the people who made Tahoe City what it is today. They were frontiersman and adventurers, hunters and fishermen, lumberjacks and miners, school teachers, newspapermen, and ladies of the night. They ranged from Washoe Indians, who called . . . — Map (db m34899) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Post War, 1946 to 1955Peacetime Changes Tahoe City
A peacetime boom came to Tahoe City. New businesses flourished. Life was changing in ways unimaginable. From the old Tahoe Tavern Winter Sports Grounds, a retired Norwegian sea captain, Kjell “Rusty” Rustad, created a small family-style . . . — Map (db m34908) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Roads and Bridges
Trails become roads around Lake Tahoe Early travel in the Lake Tahoe basin was along Washoe Indian trails and later along American immigrant trails blazed in the 1840s over the rugged Sierra Nevada Mountain passes. The first roads in the . . . — Map (db m112967) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Southern Pacific, 1926 to 1945Visions for a Two-Season Resort
In 1925, the Southern Pacific Railroad bought Tahoe Tavern and the railroad from Duane L. Bliss. They changed the narrow-gauge railroad to standard tracks and attempted to clear them of snow during the winter. Their vision was to turn Tahoe City . . . — Map (db m34905) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Tahoe City
The turn of the last century brought sweeping change to Tahoe City. Previously, only wealthy families could afford to travel to Lake Tahoe for an extended summer vacation. By the 1920s middle class families could afford to travel in their . . . — Map (db m34522) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Tahoe City Begins, 1860 to 1895A Town of 25 Takes Shape
Most folks traveling to Tahoe City in the 1800s arrived by stagecoach from Truckee. By 1868, 25 people called Tahoe City home. Some harvested hay on what is now Tahoe City’s Golf Course, some worked as fishermen on Lake Tahoe. Others found . . . — Map (db m34864) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Tahoe City’s “Big Tree”
For over 125 years a grand pine tree known as the “Big Tree” stood in the centerline of Highway 28 in the heart of Tahoe City. In 1940 the Federated Women’s Club literally joined hands around the tree when the California Division . . . — Map (db m34524) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Tahoe City's Constables
In 1901 Tahoe City needed a constable. There was an influx of workers and summer visitors expected with the completion of a 15-mile railroad line from Truckee and the opening of the 400-room hotel, The Tahoe Tavern. Robert Montgomery Watson, an . . . — Map (db m55503) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — The Gatekeeper’s Cabin and Museum
[First Marker – Located on the left:] The North Lake Tahoe Historical Society (NLTHS) operates and maintains the Gatekeeper’s Museum, The Marion Steinback Indian Basket Museum, the Watson Cabin Living Museum (located above Commons . . . — Map (db m34922) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — The Plentiful Lake
Just as you may have come to fish these waters today, so have native people for thousands of years. Natives of the Tahoe Sierra fished the waters from Lake Tahoe and the Truckee River and Pyramid Lake for food. Depending on the season, they pulled . . . — Map (db m112970) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — The Sacred Lake
Lake Tahoe is sacred to the Wa-she-shu or Washoe people. Each spring family groups gathered at Da-ow-‘ah-ga or Lake Tahoe’s shore and offered blessings. Countless generations of children were taught by each family’s leader that their . . . — Map (db m35432) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — The Watson Cabin
Positioned on a bluff over looking Tahoe City’s Common Beach is the historic Watson’s Log Cabin. The cabin is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the oldest log structure remaining in the North Lake Tahoe area. The two-story . . . — Map (db m34836) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Trains and Tourists
In the years before automobiles and paved highways, local businessman D. L. Bliss needed a way to bring people to his new Tahoe Tavern hotel. He formed the Lake Tahoe Railway and Transportation Company to build and operate a railroad connection . . . — Map (db m112972) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — William B. Layton Park
This park was named for and dedicated to the memory of William B. Layton by the North Lake Tahoe Historical Society. North Lake Tahoe will miss the unselfish way the Bill worked for the community. Past General Manager of the Tahoe City Public . . . — Map (db m34532) HM

169 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.