Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Rowan County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
Griffith Rutherford Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, September 17, 2013
Griffith Rutherford Marker
North Carolina (Rowan County), China Grove — L 21 — Griffith Rutherfordca. 1721-1805
Militia general. He led expedition against the Cherokee, 1776. Colonial & state official. Lived nearby on Grant's Creek. — Map (db m70031) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), China Grove — L 17 — Rural Free Delivery
The first mail over an R.F.D. route in N.C. was carried out in China Grove, October 23, 1896. — Map (db m70030) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 47 — Andrew Jackson
Studied law under Spruce Macay, 1784 – 85, at an office which stood 1 bl. W. Admitted to the bar in Rowan County, Nov. 6, 1787. — Map (db m34204) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — Burial Trenches and Salisbury Prison
You are facing the 18 trenches used by the Salisbury Confederate Prison for the burial of prisoners, most of whom died after October 1864. — Map (db m35270) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — C.S. Military PrisonLonging for the Morning
On November 2, 1861, the Confederate government purchased about 16 acres here for a prison. The tract included an abandoned three-story cotton mill, a boiler house, six tenements, a superintendent’s house, and several smaller buildings. A stockade . . . — Map (db m34202) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — City of Salisbury
Settled by Scotch-Irish in 1747, coming from Pennsylvania along the “Great Wagon Road”. Established as the county seat in 1753. Named after the cathedral town (New Sarum) in England. Largest city in western North Carolina in the 18th and . . . — Map (db m35662) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L-2 — Confederate Prison
Enclosure, 16 acres. Once held 10,000 men. Destroyed by Federals, 1865. Site one block south. — Map (db m1583) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — Elizabeth Maxwell Steele
This tablet is erected to the memory of Elizabeth Maxwell Steele Patriot 1781 - 1911 — Map (db m35732) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — Hall HouseLegacy of the Past
In 1859, Dr. Josephus Wells Hall bought this house, which was constructed in 1820 as the Salisbury Female Academy, and added a new entrance and the double veranda with lacey ironworks. Inside, he had ornate French wallpaper hung and the hall . . . — Map (db m34279) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 106 — Harry Cowan1810 – 1904
Baptist minister vital to growth of church in N.C. Founder of Mount Zion Church (1867), which is one block W. — Map (db m35132) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 15 — John Steele
Congressman,     1789 – 93, Comptroller of the United States Treasury, Federalist Party Leader. Home stands 2 blocks east. — Map (db m34415) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 12 — John W. Ellis
Governor, 1859-61. A leader of the secession movement in N. C. Died July, 1861, aged 40. Home stands 1½ blocks south. — Map (db m34288) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 27 — Lee S. Overman
United States Senator, 1903-30, a leading sup- porter of Wilson’s war policies, Speaker of the House of Representa- tives. His home is here. — Map (db m34286) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — MaineOne Country – One Flag
Maine’s tribute to her soldiers who died while prisoners of war at Salisbury, N.C. 1864 – 1865 [ Right of Monument: ] “They fought for peace, - for peace they fell, - they sleep in peace, and all is well.” [ Rear of . . . — Map (db m34406) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 63 — Maxwell Chambers House
A good example of the larger homes built about 1820. Now used by the Rowan Museum. Located ½ block south. — Map (db m35133) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — Meroney’s Theatre
When Dr. L. J. Meroney and his sister Lena built the theater in 1905, its large seating capacity attracted professional troupes to Salisbury. Two of the most famous thespians of the day, the “Divine” Sarah Bernhardt and the glamorous . . . — Map (db m35657) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 71 — Old English Cemetery
Cornwallis’ men buried here in 1781. Granted to city in 1770 by British government. Grave of Gov. John W. Ellis is here. — Map (db m33947) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — Pennsylvania Monument
[ Left Tablet: ] This monument is erected by authority of an Act of the Pennsylvania Legislature approved June 13th 1907. To commemorate the patriotic devotion, heroism, and self-sacrifice of the officers and soldiers of the Pennsylvania . . . — Map (db m34410) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — Rowan County CourthouseEscaped Destruction — Stoneman’s Raids
The Old Rowan County Courthouse, a visible reminder of Salisbury’s antebellum prosperity, was erected in 1855 and is one of North Carolina’s finest Greek Revival-style public buildings. It served as Rowan’s third courthouse until 1914. Salisbury . . . — Map (db m34278) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — Rowan County World War I Memorial
Erected by the Elizabeth Maxwell Steele Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in memory of the Rowan County boys who fought in the World War - 1919 — Map (db m35736) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — Salisbury Confederate Memorial
In memory of Rowan’s Confederate Soldiers that their heroic deeds, sublime self-sacrifice and undying devotion to duty and Country may never be forgotten 1861 – 1865 [ Left of Monument: ] Soldiers of the Confederacy, Fame has given you . . . — Map (db m34408) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — Salisbury National Cemetery
Salisbury Prison and Trench Graves Salisbury Prison was established by the Confederate government in October 1861 on the site of an old cotton factory. In preparation for the first prisoners, a portion of the grounds was enclosed by a stockade . . . — Map (db m34398) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 70 — Setzer School
Restored one-room log school of 1840’s. Now located at the Knox Junior High School, ¼ mile east. — Map (db m35268) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 44 — St. Luke’s Episcopal Church
Parish established in 1753. Present building constructed in 1828, stands one block west. — Map (db m34285) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 29 — Stoneman’s Raid
Stoneman’s U.S. Cavalry occupied the town of Salisbury, Apr. 12, 1865, and destroyed the Con- federate warehouses, supplies, and prison. — Map (db m33918) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 28 — Stoneman’s Raid
On a raid through west- ern North Carolina Gen. Stoneman’s U. S. Cavalry fought a skirmish with Southern troops near here, April 12, 1865. — Map (db m33921) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 24 — Trading Ford
On famous trading path used by Indians and early settlers. There Greene, retreating from Cornwallis, crossed on Feb. 2, 1781. East 1 mi. — Map (db m33930) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 30 — Trading Path
Colonial trading route, dating from 17th cen- tury from Petersburg, Virginia, to the Catawba and Waxhaw Indians in Carolina, passed nearby. — Map (db m34416) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — Unknown Soldiers Monument
In 18 trenches, just south of this spot, rest the bodies of 11,700 soldiers of the United States Army, who perished during the years 1864 and 1865 while held by the Confederate Military Authorities as prisoners of war in a stockade near this place. . . . — Map (db m34403) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — L 64 — Washington Southern Tour
President Washington was a visitor in the town of Salisbury, May 30 – 31, 1791. — Map (db m33938) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Salisbury — Washington’s Tour of the Southern States
In Patriotic Commemoration of the visit of George Washington on his tour of the Southern States 1791 — Map (db m35731) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — Food Lion LLC
Food Lion, founded in 1957 by Ralph Ketner, Brown Ketner, and Wilson Smith was originally named Food Town and located in what is now the Ketner Center in Salisbury, North Carolina. Grocery prices at the time included ten-pound-bags of potatoes for . . . — Map (db m103851) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — Food Lion Trailer No. 893615
Builder: Great Dane Trailers Manufactured: November 1968 Model: 731T Dry Van Weight: 12 feet 6 inches Length: 45 feet Weight: 13,600 pounds Capacity: 49,960 pounds PurchaSe price: $17,608.07 The Great Dane Trailer . . . — Map (db m103881) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — Historic Spencer Shops
In commemoration of the 1977 gift to the State of North Carolina by Southern Railway Company of the property and buildings which formerly housed Southern's largest steam locomotive servicing facility. Historic Spencer Shops, North Carolina's . . . — Map (db m100745) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — Magnetic Signal CompanyWig Wag Grade Crossing Signal, Model 11
The Magnetic Signal Company, formed sometime after 1910, received its first patent, on May 19, 1914. The Los Angeles-based company mainly sold its crossing signals to western railroads, such as the Santa Fe and Union Pacific. Pacific Electric . . . — Map (db m102419) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — Norfolk & Western Caboose 555012
Builder: International Car Company, Kenton, Ohio Date Complete: April 1976 Cost: $45,000 Built as: Norfolk & Western Railway 555012 In 1976 the Norfolk & Western Railway (N&W) placed an order for one hundred new cabooses with the . . . — Map (db m104595) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — Signals
Railroads use signals for traffic control. They give crews permission for track use. One of the most interesting signal styles is the position light, first used on the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1915. Instead of one light signifying the signal . . . — Map (db m102420) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — Southern Public Utilities Co. 1927 Streetcar #85
Streetcar #85 was manufactured in Charlotte in 1927 by the Southern Public Utilities Company The trolley ran 11 years in the city, powered by overhead electric wires. It was the last streetcar running and was the centerpiece of a ceremony that . . . — Map (db m104594) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — Spencer Shops Roundhouse and TurntableHistoric Mechanical Engineering Landmark — 1924
This 37-stall roundhouse and 100-foot turntable built by the Southern Railway are among the few survivors of a distinctive type of locomotive repair facility that was once common across North America. The radial track and turntable arrangement was . . . — Map (db m104588) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — The Muscle of Spencer ShopsA Milestone in Restoration
The Muscle of Spencer Shops While the Bob Julian Roundhouse, located just south of here, provided routine maintenance for Southern Railway's steam locomotives, the Back Shop was where the heavy lifting was done—literally. Locomotives . . . — Map (db m104590) HM
North Carolina (Rowan County), Spencer — Town of Spencer
When Southern Railway formed in 1894, its first President, Samuel Spencer, began looking for a location for a new repair facility halfway between Washington, D.C. and Atlanta, Ga. As Rowan County became the targeted location, former N.C. State . . . — Map (db m103741) HM

41 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.