Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Steuben County New York Historical Markers

 
Hurlbut House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 20, 2014
Hurlbut House Marker
New York (Steuben County), Arkport — Hurlbut House
Built by Christopher Hurlbut between 1804 and 1806 and was used as a home and a tavern. One of the oldest frame houses in Steuben County. — Map (db m76112) HM
New York (Steuben County), Bath — Bath Theatre
Built here at Stocum Point in 1796 by Colonel Williamson. Theatre prompted critic to condem Bath as ‘cesspool of iniquity.’ — Map (db m78479) HM
New York (Steuben County), Bath — Gallows Hill
Robert A Douglas was hung here April 29, 1825 before a crowd of 10,000. Today’s laws likely would not have convicted him of murder — Map (db m105859) HM
New York (Steuben County), Bath — Pioneer Burial Ground
Established in 1793 by Col. Charles Williamson For his little daughter who died of Genesee Fever Village of Bath — Map (db m58666) HM
New York (Steuben County), Bath — Pulteney Square
Here in 1793 was made the first clearing in Steuben County by Col. Charles Williamson founder of Bath — Map (db m43965) HM
New York (Steuben County), Cohocton — Cohocton ValleyHistoric New York
Seneca Indians inhabited this area until 1779 when their towns and cornfields were destroyed by the Sullivan-Clinton expedition, forcing a migration to Niagara. After the Revolution these lands were included in the Pulteney Purchase of one million . . . — Map (db m56845) HM
New York (Steuben County), Cohocton — First Presbyterian Church
Founded October 8, 1809 by Abijah Warren
Third church organized in Old Bath Presbytery. — Map (db m43983) HM
New York (Steuben County), Corning — Achsinessink(“Stone Upon Stone”) — 900 Yards East →  
Delaware Indian town—1750’s–1764. Site of 1760 Indian conference with Moravian agents, Christian F. Post and John Hays about the “forbidden path.” — Map (db m79380) HM
New York (Steuben County), Corning — At This Location an Alliance of Prosperity was Formed1868–2001
During the 150th anniversary of Corning Incorporated’s history in the year 2001 our community presents this David Dowler Sculpture commemorating the 1868 unloading of the company’s first machinery at this site. Thus began an alliance with the . . . — Map (db m80028) HM
New York (Steuben County), Corning — Benjamin Patterson Inn
1796 Painted Post Tavern Built by Chas. Williamson, Pulteney Land Ass'n Agent- named in 1976 for the first innkeeper, Benjamin Patterson. — Map (db m33214) HM
New York (Steuben County), Corning — Canfield Parkcorning new york

Block 66, set aside by the Corning Co. in 1840 as a public square, has housed a school, churches, and courthouses. Constructed from 1905-1909, the popularly known Courthouse Park was renamed Canfield Park in 1944, in honor of the city engineer . . . — Map (db m91095) HM

New York (Steuben County), Corning — City of Corning
Erastus Corning and others began a community here in 1835. It incorporated as a village in 1848 and as a city in 1890. — Map (db m33218) HM
New York (Steuben County), Corning — Concert Hall Block — Corning’s Gaffer District
Built in 1851, this building, one of the oldest on Market Street, has been substantially altered from its original three storied Greek Revival style. It is constructed of brick and is one of the few buildings surviving the disastrous fires of the . . . — Map (db m79959) HM
New York (Steuben County), Corning — Corning Centennial SculptureGeorge Greenamyer, Artist
Corning was a railroad town well into the 1900’s beginning with the corning-Blossburg Railroad in 1839. In 1849 the Erie Railroad was built through the village. In 1881 the DL&W came to Corning via Gibson and the Northside. The Corning-Blossburg . . . — Map (db m80064) HM
New York (Steuben County), Corning — Corning Free Academycirca 1922

Historic Structure of Corning's Southside Neighborhood — Map (db m91103) HM

New York (Steuben County), Corning — Courthouse Park

Given by the Corning Co. this land, first the Public Square, then Canfield Park, has hosted a school, parks, churches, and a courthouse. — Map (db m91106) HM

New York (Steuben County), Corning — Ecker Drug Store — Corning’s Gaffer District
The third floor of this 1885 building served as a large dance hall where Irene and Vernon Castle, darlings of the Dance Mode in America during 1914–1915, became a weekly feature. In 1965, the exterior of this building was completely . . . — Map (db m80026) HM
New York (Steuben County), Corning — Erie Avenue
In 1849 the Erie RR began running through Corning on this street, then called Erie Avenue. The tracks were removed in 1952. — Map (db m33215) HM
New York (Steuben County), Corning — First Presbyterian Church

Organized August 19, 1812, this structure, constructed of local stone in 1867, is the oldest church building in Corning. — Map (db m91107) HM

New York (Steuben County), Corning — Frederick Carder Home

F. Carder (1863-1963) Co-founder Steuben Glass Works in 1903 and became a community leader and world-famous glass maker. — Map (db m91104) HM

New York (Steuben County), Corning — Galvin and Haines InsuranceWilliam’s Block — Corning’s Gaffer District
This building, which houses Galvin and Haines Insurance Company, is extraordinarily elaborate in its fine terra cotta detailing—most notably the famous “Owl of Market Street,” perched on top of the pedimented cornice. Known . . . — Map (db m80017) HM
New York (Steuben County), Corning — Market Street Historic DistrictCenterway Square — Corning’s Gaffer District
In recognition of its historical and architectural importance, Market Street has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The street is composed of fine examples of late 19th Century commercial buildings rehabilitated as part of a . . . — Map (db m79989) HM
New York (Steuben County), Corning — The Southern Tier Roller MillsErected in 1879 — Restored 1974 — Memorial House
The Southern Tier Roller Mills maintained operations here until 1918. Eight years later the building was purchased by the Corning Glass Works and in 1930 became the club house for employee recreational facilities. After these activities were . . . — Map (db m66258) HM
New York (Steuben County), Hammondsport — An Astonishing SightThe Glenn H. Curtiss Heritage Trail — 1908
1908 When Glenn Curtiss flew the June Bug here in Pleasant Valley on July 4, 1908, he made American aviation history. With Curtiss at the controls, the June Bug rose into the air, leveled off at a height of about 40 feet, and . . . — Map (db m70114) HM
New York (Steuben County), Hammondsport — Cradle of Aviation
Here Glenn H. Curtiss Piloted "The June Bug" July 4, 1908 First Kilometer Flight — Map (db m69851) HM
New York (Steuben County), Hammondsport — Glenn H. Curtiss
Born Hammondsport 1878 early maker of motorcycle and airplane engines - flew successfully airplanes and hydroplanes here 1908-1911 — Map (db m69813) HM
New York (Steuben County), Hammondsport — Larger Than LifeThe Glenn H. Curtiss Heritage Trail — 1878-1930
1878-1930 This modest cemetery is the final resting place of Hammondsport native Glenn Hammond Curtiss, an American hero. Glenn Curtiss was a man who liked to go fast. His personal quest for speed began with building and racing bicycles . . . — Map (db m70029) HM
New York (Steuben County), Hammondsport — Two Wheels on the GroundThe Glenn H. Curtiss Heritage Trail — 1900 - 1904
1900 - 1904 Glen Curtiss found his first success in the bicycle business. Bicycle racer and mechanical whiz, Glenn Curtiss, opened his first shop in 1900, directly across the street from where you are now standing. Here Curtiss repaired and . . . — Map (db m69912) HM
New York (Steuben County), Hamondsport — Glenn Hammond Curtiss
Born in Hammondsport N.Y. May 21, 1878 His many accomplishments include: the first water-cooled aeronautical engine; the first seaplane; invention of the first aileron, and the first flying school. After obtaining the first aviator’s license, he . . . — Map (db m105860) HM
New York (Steuben County), Hornell — Hornellsville Veterans Memorial
east marker front In memory of veterans of the Civil War 1861 - 1865 from Hornellsville N.Y. area in our country's service.

east marker inside In memory of veterans of World War II from Hornellsville N.Y. area in our country's . . . — Map (db m76111) WM

New York (Steuben County), Hornellsville — Oldest House in Steuben County
Erected 1797 by Col. James McBurney. A probable station of Underground Railway. — Map (db m114597) HM
New York (Steuben County), Painted Post — Civil War Memorial1861 - 1865 — Grand Army of the Republic

To the Soldier Dead of the Town of Erwin Erected A.D. 1913 Their deeds are held in grateful memory

Infantry 23rd. N.Y. — 112th. N.Y. 74th. N.Y. — 141st. N.Y. 86th. N.Y. — 161st. N.Y. 107th. N.Y. — . . . — Map (db m91083) HM

New York (Steuben County), Painted Post — Painted Post Memorial

During the Colonial period the valleys of the Chemung River tributaries comprised the domain of the Senecas. This unit of the Iroquois Confederacy was called a door of the Six Nations through which passed communications with the west & the . . . — Map (db m91091) HM

New York (Steuben County), Painted Post — Routes of the Armies of General John Sullivan and General James Clinton1779

An expedition against the hostile Indian nations which checked the aggressions of the English and Indians on the frontiers of New York and Pennsylvania, extending westward the dominion of the United States. — Map (db m91110) HM

New York (Steuben County), Painted Post — Sullivan-Clinton CampaignThe Final Episode
The Final Episode of the Sullivan-Clinton Campaign was the advance of Col. Van Cortland's Brigade up the Canisteo River to this area two miles beyond the Tory-Indian town of Painted Post, burned by Capt. Simon Spaulding's Riflemen September 28, . . . — Map (db m32796) HM
New York (Steuben County), Painted Post — The First Baptist Church of Painted PostBuilt 1860 - 1915

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m91061) HM

New York (Steuben County), Painted Post — Treaty of Painted PostJuly 1791

Col. Timothy Pickering, commissioner appointed by President Washington, negotiated the Treaty of Painted Post with the Iroquois Indians, which ended warfare between the Six Nations and the white settlers in New York State.

Dedicated: June . . . — Map (db m91059) HM

New York (Steuben County), Painted Post — Village of Painted Post Comeback '72 Urban Renewal Project

Dedication This [Painted Post Memorial] monument is dedicated to the Village of Painted Post and its Citizens in recognition of their courageous and determined recovery from the destruction wrought by Tropical Storm Agnes on June . . . — Map (db m91092) HM

New York (Steuben County), Painted Post — World War Memorial Park5 Aug. 1930

Trench Howitzer Mk 11/1918 No. T.W.11557 Sheffield — Map (db m91141) WM

New York (Steuben County), Pulteney — Chateau Frank
. . . — Map (db m106878) HM

40 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.