In 1973, the oldest depot in the West moved to a new home. Ashland Station, reportedly the oldest railroad depot west of the Mississippi, was transported across Rainbow Bridge to its present location at the Folsom Interpretive Area next to the . . . — — Map (db m11153) HM
In 1827 “Bible Totin” Jed Smith camped here in. In 1850 these diggings became known as Negro Bar, then named Granite City after the rocks, and in 1855 Joseph Folsom lent his name to this fair city.
Also in 1855 Folsom hired Theodore . . . — — Map (db m57985) HM
Folsom Dam and Reservoir are a component of the Central Valley Project, owned and operated by the Bureau of Reclamation, Mid-Pacific Region, Central California Area Office
Construction of Folsom Dam by the Corps began in . . . — — Map (db m17644) HM
Site of stables at Western terminus of Pony Express (1860-61), later used by blacksmith shops. Adjacent after 1892 fire, was built two - story Burke's Hall, a community center. Meeting place of Granite Parlor No.83, NSGW (1886-1958).
Dedicated . . . — — Map (db m77653) HM
“Education Doth Not A Scholar Make”
Near here was the first and only college ever in Folsom. It lasted two years (1958-60). Then is closed for a lack of students. Folks probably figured they were smart enough (?).
It was . . . — — Map (db m22984) HM
Gold Rush and Railroad town Folsom became the Western Terminus of the Central Overland Pony Express on July 1, 1860. The express mail had been run by pony to and from Sacramento. Beginning on July 1, 1860, the
Sacramento Valley Railroad carried it . . . — — Map (db m5090) HM
Completion of the Sacramento Valley Railroad from Sacramento to Folsom was completed here February 22, 1856, by enthusiastic residents of both cities. The new line, 22 miles in length was commenced February 12, 1855, and was built by Theodore Dehone . . . — — Map (db m15613) HM
The Folsom Veterans Memorial honors those brave individuals who serve our country and those who have fallen in service to our country. The memorial is composed of several distinct elements.
The Flag Court pays homage to all those who have served . . . — — Map (db m15619) HM
Dedicated to the memory of
WILLIAM ALEXANDER LEIDESDORFF
Early California pioneer, civic
leader, merchant, trader, and
owner of 35,000 acre rancho
“Rio de los Americanos” in the
Born 1810 in Danish West . . . — — Map (db m15617) HM
Early in 1848 W. Sidney S. Willis (ES) and Wilford Hudson, members of the Mormon Battalion, set out from Sutter’s Fort to hunt deer. Stopping on the South Fork of the American River, they found gold. They told their story on returning to the Fort . . . — — Map (db m17637) HM
Natomas Company activities started in this area in 1857 with the acquisition of 9,000 acres from the Joseph L. Folsom estate.
Early partners engaged in water, granite quarrying, agriculture, vineyards, gold mining, hydro-electric power and . . . — — Map (db m705) HM
In the 1850's, Horatio Gates Livermore and later his sons, Horatio P. and Charles E. pioneered the development of ditches and dams on the American River for industry and agriculture. One historic result was Folsom Power House, which began operations . . . — — Map (db m706) HM
Site of Prairie City, mining town and center of trade in California Gold Rush days. In July, 1853, Prairie City reached the height of its prosperity, and included fifteen stores and ten boarding houses and hotels. Two stage lines operated daily. A . . . — — Map (db m10823) HM
The site of the Prairie City Cemetery that once served the bustling gold rush town of Prairie City was located during construction of the Prairie City Road and Highway 50 Interchange in May 1997. It was used between 1853 and at least 1872 and may . . . — — Map (db m10506) HM
250 feet due west
from this point is an original corner
Rancho Rio Delos
Americanos Land Grant
of 1844 and the most
of the town site of Folsom
of 1855. On the right was the
mining camp of Negro Bar. On . . . — — Map (db m22981) HM
Here you can see the right of way of the Sacramento, Placer and Nevada Railroad. It was designed by Theodore Dehone Judah (March 4, 1826 – November 2, 1863) as Chief Engineer. Conceived in 1854 and constructed in 1861, it ran about thirteen . . . — — Map (db m37132) HM
This sacred ground is one of three revered cemeteries * Young Wo, Sam Yup-Sze Yup, and Hakka * that served the Chinese community once located just north of here. One cemetery vanished during gold dredging activites; Only the Young Wo and Sam Yup-Sze . . . — — Map (db m16243) HM
From 1856 to 1971, Folsom was a railroad town. For most of those years, the Folsom depot was the last stop from Sacramento.
Before the trains could return to Sacramento, the locomotives had to be turned around. Until 1913, they rotated . . . — — Map (db m37108) HM