Old address 62 So. C Street, this building had two commercial spaces. Moses Wertheimer a German Jewish immigrant owner of a San Francisco cigar factory was in the south half of the building in 1868. It operated until the mid 1890’s. North half was a . . . — — Map (db m22655) HM
In the spring of 1871, a secret organization comprised of leading citizens and business men, was formed to combat lawlessness in Virginia City.
This vigilance committee, known as the 601's, served to undesirables, notices to leave town. If they . . . — — Map (db m77699) HM
Between 1866 and 1875, a remarkable business thrived directly behind building. Free-born William C. Brown operated his Boston Saloon, serving Virginia City’s African Americans. Archaeologists have revealed that Brown offered his customers finely . . . — — Map (db m21830) HM
On this site, the Virginia City Agency of the Bank of California was established on September 6, 1864.
Here miners obtained the capital that financed the most spectacular boom in mining history. Nearly one billion dollars in gold and silver was . . . — — Map (db m21540) HM
Originally a clothing store operated by Victor & Marcus Banner in 1868. Rebuilt after the 1875 fire and continued under the Banners until the late 1880’s. E.J. Dwyer & Co. continued operations until the 1920’s. Bill Marks opened the Crystal Bar . . . — — Map (db m22038) HM
The Bonner shaft was named in honor of mine superintendent, Charles S. Bonner and began operations in the mid-1860s to explore the lower levels of the Gould & Curry Mine. This four compartment shaft reached a depth of almost 700 feet and cost over . . . — — Map (db m45903) HM
The C&C was the largest and most modern of all Comstock era shafts and was located on the grounds of the California Mine. It was the joint property of the Consolidated Virginia and California Mining Companies. It was used to extract the fabulously . . . — — Map (db m50104) HM
Two blocks east of here once stood a Chinese community of almost 2,000 people. They came to Nevada during the mining days and did much of the hard work that helped establish the State. This honors the Chinese pioneers who played a major role in . . . — — Map (db m22094) HM
The first Chinese came to the Comstock in the early 1860s after having worked on the Reese River Ditch project in Dayton, NV in the mid-1850s. Prejudice against them was prevalent at the time, due to their strange customs and traditions that was not . . . — — Map (db m50106) HM
Founded by William “Billy” Chollar (pronounced collar) in 1859, the original Chollar claim was 1,400 feet in length and 400 feet in width. In 1861, the nearby Potosi mine discovered an ore body that dipped into Chollar and . . . — — Map (db m22054) HM
First located in 1859, the Chollar was consolidated with the Potosi in 1865. As the Chollar-Potosi, it was one of the leading producers on the Comstock. The Nevada Mill was erected here in 1887 to process low-grade Chollar ore. It was the last to . . . — — Map (db m50109) HM
Joseph Frederick Hardware, The Nevada Bank of San Francisco and a livery stable were housed herein. In 1910 Ferdinand Beck opened Beck’s Hardware, & Comstock Garage. In the 1930’s Clarence Elkin operated a Shell garage and Ford dealership. From . . . — — Map (db m22482) HM
The Combination Shaft began in 1875 when the owners of the Chollar-Potosi, Hale & Corcross and the Savage mines combined their efforts to sink a shaft to explore the Comstock Lode at a greater depth. The Combination was the deepest shaft ever . . . — — Map (db m22842) HM
Built in 1874, the mill went into operation in January of 1975, and was destroyed later that year in the great fire of October 25th, but was quickly rebuilt at a cost of $350,000. The Con Virginia Pan Mill was built by Pacific Mill and Mining . . . — — Map (db m50100) HM
Constructed the year following the great 1875 conflagration, the building had deteriorated in latter-days until all that remained was the front brick façade in 1969. During this year the site was purchased by the Virginia City Chapter of E Clampus . . . — — Map (db m21986) HM
At his location was the Eagle Engine Co.No.3. After organizing in August of 1863, Eagle Engine Co. No.3 purchased a Jeffers hand-pumped fire engine for $3,700 from San Francisco's Vigilante Engine Co. No.9, and initially housed the 4,000 pound . . . — — Map (db m77703) HM
From the first recorded ore discoveries in 1859, the Comstock area was part of a global community. Arriving from places as diverse as the Germanies, Poland, Russia, and North America, Jewish immigrants with engineering backgrounds, entrepreneurial . . . — — Map (db m40485) HM
On January 11, 1963, 13 members of E Clampus Vitus met at the Bucket of Blood Saloon for the purpose of forming a new chapter of E Clampus Vitus. Those present were: Louie Beaupre, Marsh Fey, John Dufresne, Jim Lydon, Jack Cross, Ed Lydon, Bob . . . — — Map (db m89508) HM
Centennial monument to education and National treasure. Built in the second Empire Style Architecture with state of the art amenities to house 1000 students. Instructed using progressive curriculum and teaching practices. The building represents the . . . — — Map (db m21879) HM
Early pioneer of both the telegraph and telephone. He was builder of the first telegraph lines across the Sierra’s from Placerville to Genoa then on to Virginia City. He also had the distinction of telegraphing Nevada’s Constitution to President . . . — — Map (db m22342) HM
The Gould and Curry Mining Company was founded in the Spring of 1859 by Alvah (Alva) Gould and Abraham Curry. The original claim was just over 900 feet of the Comstock Lode between the Best & Belcher and the Savage mines. Both men later sold their . . . — — Map (db m21597) HM
Founded in 1859, the Hale & Norcross contained about 400 feet of original Comstock Lode located between the Savage and Chollar Mines. In 1868, a fierce stock battle was waged for ownership over this property. At the time, the mine was thought to be . . . — — Map (db m45902) HM
Dedicated to two of Nevada’s brawniest pioneers: James T. Fennimore, who, on a wild night in 1859, christened this town Virginia – and to John “Snowshoe” Thompson who carried the mails on homemade skis during the crescent years of . . . — — Map (db m21825) HM
John Pearson, Born Franklin, Vermont, October 9th, 1838. died Virginia City, Nevada, October 31st, 1892. Married Jennie Thomas December 10th, 1865. Jennie Thomas was born in Iowa on January 28, 1846. John Pearson was engaged in Mining. He was . . . — — Map (db m22658) HM
Virginia City, circa. 1880’s, was a bustling industrial community of about 25,000 people which included Gold Hill and the Silver City communities. Gold and silver mining was a corporate environment that was owned by either the bank of California or . . . — — Map (db m81819) HM
North of this marker, a station was established in 1860 on Geiger and Tilton’s new toll road from Truckee Meadows, •• Fine springs, terminus of several wood roads, and a population of teamsters, stock and sheep men were found at Lousetown •• . . . — — Map (db m45487) HM
The Gould & Curry Mining Co. office escaped the 1875 fire to also become the home of John Mackay, “Boss” of the Big Bonanza, which made him the richest man in the Comstock (over $100,000,000 ).
Mackay also founded the Postal Telegraph . . . — — Map (db m21595) HM
Once the residence of John Mackay, this elegant mansion also served as the office for the Gould & Curry Mining Company. Mackay, an Irish-born immigrant, was the richest man the Comstock ever produced. Built in the 1860s, this building survived the . . . — — Map (db m21596) HM
100 years ago, in 1864, Samuel Clemens left the Territorial Enterprise, moving on to California and world-wide fame. He was a reporter here in 1863 when he first used the name, Mark Twain. He later described his colorful adventures in Nevada in . . . — — Map (db m22682) HM
Constructed by Davidson M. Geiger and John H. Tilton in 1862, this old toll road was the most direct connection between the Comstock Lode and Truckee Meadows until replace by the present paved highway in 1936.
Concord stages, mud wagons . . . — — Map (db m45486) HM
The Miners Union was organized in 1867. The Union fought for recognition, safety, family welfare, and a living wage $4.00 per day. This building, owned and maintained since 1913 by Aerie 532 F. O. E., was built in 1876. The original hall was . . . — — Map (db m21955) HM
Built in 1860 by the Ophir Mining Company to facilitate the hauling of ore to the mills in the Washoe Valley, it was operated as a toll road until 1871 when its popularity declined due to the completion of the V and T Railroad from Carson City to . . . — — Map (db m45574) HM
Piper’s Opera House began as Maguire’s Opera House in 1863 when San Francisco theater impresario Thomas Maguire built the establishment, two blocks east of this site on “D” Street between Union and & Taylor Streets. Maguire fell on hard . . . — — Map (db m22005) HM
This building, the most magnificent vintage theater in the West, was erected by John Piper in 1885. Third in a succession of theatres, which he operated on the Comstock, Piper’s Opera House, with its original scenery, raked stage, and elegant . . . — — Map (db m37242) HM
76 North C Street, Virginia City, Nevada 89440
The Red Dog Saloon was a bar and live music venue located in the isolated 1860s mining town of Virginia City, Nevada which played an important role in the history of the hippie movement. . . . — — Map (db m45572) HM
On this spot once stood the cribs of Virginia City’s “Sporting Row.” Near this site, in Crib 1, was housed the celebrated courtesan of the Comstock, Julia C. Bulette, brutally murdered January 20, 1867 for her jewels by John Millian. — — Map (db m45843) HM
This elegant mansion, designed in a French Second Empire style, served as a residence for the superintendent, as well as a mine office for the Savage Mining Company. The first floor served as the mine office while the upper two stories provided a . . . — — Map (db m89479) HM
Claimed on July 4, 1859 by R. Crale, C. Chase, H. Carmack, W. Surtevant, A.O. Savage and L.C. Savage, the original Savage claim consisted of 1,800 feet along the Comstock Lode. In 1865, the company built a mill in Washoe Valley to process ore. . . . — — Map (db m22437) HM
Camels first arrived in Virginia City in April, 1964. The U.S. Camel Corps was disbanded in 1863, and the animals sold to Nevada traders. Camels were used for hauling freight, firewood, and marsh salt use in refining silver ore. Although one camel . . . — — Map (db m45644) HM
You are facing east overlooking the Silver Terrace Cemeteries. The Silver Terrace was not the only Comstock complex, both Gold Hill and Silver City had their own cemeteries. The earliest cemeteries were established far away from the ore veins. As it . . . — — Map (db m78164) HM
Three International Hotels stood on this lot:
The first hotel, a 14 room wood structure, was built in 1860 and dismantled in 1863.
The second, a 100 room, 4 story brick building, was destroyed by the “Great Fire” of October . . . — — Map (db m22066) HM
Built in 1875 under the supervision of Father Patrick Manogue, the St. Mary Louise Hospital opened March 6, 1876. The grounds, formerly occupied by Van Bokkelen’s Garden (A German brewery-saloon), was donated by Marie Louise Mackay, wife of Bonanza . . . — — Map (db m45557) HM
The grounds were formally known as Van Bokkelen’s Beer Garden. General Jacob Van Bokkelen was commander of the Virginia City National guard, was killed in a dynamite explosion in his hardware store on Taylor St,. west of C Street in March 1873 that . . . — — Map (db m50108) HM
Known as the "Bonanza Church" because of the rich silver mines of the last century, this Mother Church of the Comstock Lode traces it history to 1858 when the Rev. Joseph Gallagher (1821-87) offered the first mass in Nevada. His brother, the Rev. . . . — — Map (db m35694) HM
Storey County was organized in 1860 and is named after Captain Edward Storey who was killed during the Pyramid Lake Indian wars in Nevada. The prior courthouse erected on this site was destroyed in the Great Fire of October 26, 1875, that also . . . — — Map (db m22007) HM
The “Big Bonanza” was the greatest mining strike in the history of the American West. In 1872, John Mackay, James Fair, James Flood & William O’Brien formed an alliance and took control of the “Consolidate Virginia” and . . . — — Map (db m50103) HM
Near this spot was the heart of the Comstock Lode, the fabulous 2 ½ mile deposit of high-grade ore that produced nearly $400,000,000 in silver and gold. After the discovery in 1859, Virginia City boomed for 20 years, helped bring Nevada into . . . — — Map (db m22630) HM
You will find the trail head sign a hundred yards ahead, next to the recycling/dump site. Beyond the dump site is a ridge extending to your left. The trail winds along this ridge for two miles through . . . — — Map (db m46131) HM
The doors were first opened for business in 1871 by original owner Grant Israel. In the early 1880’s Con Sheen became the second owner. In 1909 William H. Marks became the third owner. The bar is still in the family as William L. And Margaret Marks . . . — — Map (db m114320) HM
Symbolized by the Greek Symbol was opened by Orindorff & McGee, Louisiana Patriots. The first Saloon rebuilt after the big fire of 1875.
The Delta Front is solid Comstock Cedar, hand made by McIntosh, Architect, wood craftsman and builder of the . . . — — Map (db m21863) HM
Walk in Their Shoes
On November 28, 1876, the excited residents of Virginia City christened their new monuments to education, the Fourth Ward School. The town was divided into “wards” for political and fire purposes. Built to . . . — — Map (db m21883) HM
In Sept. 1864, while Atlanta smoldered, the first use of military force to allay labor unrest in the West occurred when Governor J. W. Nye ordered 2 companies of Calvary from Fort Churchill to end a strike by The Story County Miner’s League. The . . . — — Map (db m21957) HM
Early in the morning on October 26, 1875 fire broke out in Kate Shea’s Boarding House. A strong wind quickly spread the fire. Gallant attempts from the volunteer firemen to extinguish the blaze were futile.
By 11:00 A.M., most of the city had . . . — — Map (db m21646) HM
The most spectacular calamity to befall Virginia City had its origins within fifty feet of this marker. Early on the morning of October 26, 1875 a coal oil lamp was knocked over in a nearby boarding house and burst into flames. Strong winds spread . . . — — Map (db m45845) HM
Millionaires Club and Oldest Saloon in Virginia City
͠ Since ͠
[Marker Located on Back Wall of Saloon]
This historic club was formed in the mid-1870’s by the elite gentlemen of . . . — — Map (db m22466) HM
Built in 1862-63, this building was first the office of the private bankers Paxton and Thornburgh. After their move to Reese River in 1864-65, it was used sporadically until the Nevada Bank of San Francisco opened January 10, 1876.
Owned by . . . — — Map (db m22551) HM
The first religious service in Nevada, officiated by a visiting Protestant Episcopal Reverend, was held in Virginia City's U.S. Courthouse on Sept. 11, 1861. A Parish was organized as St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal. In the following year the Rev. . . . — — Map (db m77709) HM
This Italianate Victorican built in 1876 by A.F. Mackay, later the home of the Edward Piper family, and in 1949 the residence of Lucius M. Beebe, author and publisher, has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States . . . — — Map (db m45847) HM
This two-story jail was completed in 1877, and featured ten individual cells, each of which had bunk beds and “state of the art” plumbing for the day. Women were housed on the second level and men on the first floor until 1963, when the . . . — — Map (db m45904) HM
Near this site Nov. 3, 1860 was published the first Territorial Enterprise under a Virginia City dateline. Born 1858 at Genoa the Enterprise was to become a celebrated property of the Old West whose Editors, Joe Goodman, Rollin Daggett, Mark Twain, . . . — — Map (db m21693) HM
Beer was not forgotten, and six breweries could scarcely supply the people with beer, for Virginia City has a dry climate.
Originally located at 40 North C Street and destroyed by the Fire of 1865, the Union Brewery moved to its present location . . . — — Map (db m45564) HM
The only railroad car ever designed expressively for transportation pf precious metals. Mail-Bullion Car No. 13 was built by the Oxford Car Company in 1874 to the order of the fabulous Virginia & Truckee Railroad. Until 1939 she transported her . . . — — Map (db m21864) HM
The Virginia and Truckee RR was built to carry Comstock ore to the Carson River mills and to haul supplies back to the mines here. Service to Gold Hill began in December 1869 and to Virginia City in 1870. Once handling 30 to 45 trains a day, the . . . — — Map (db m45645) HM
Commemorating the 50th anniversary of America’s victory in World War II. The people of Storey County, Nevada, dedicate this plaque to America’s sons and daughters who service in her armed forces make her free and kept her free.
Following the discovery of silver and gold, the miners obtained their water from the small streams or from the springs located in the canyons such as Ophir Ravine, in Virginis City, and Bullion and Crown Point ravines above Gold Hill. Originally . . . — — Map (db m35942) HM
“Do it at once” was the order given to I. E. James by William Sharron to build the V & T Railroad.
Construction to Carson City was completed in November 1869. By November 1871, Reno was connected to Carson City thus establishing a . . . — — Map (db m45642) HM
[Located in the center of town is a monument on which there is mounted six markers commemorating historical events and people of Virginia City]West Side - Front of Monument:
In June of 1859 in Gold Canyon, a second group of . . . — — Map (db m21565) HM
After Washoe Engine Co. No.4 organized in August 1863, it purchased a new Button hand-pumped fire engine with 9 1/4 inch cylinders, and 600 feet of hose for $4,288. The company housed their fire engine at the Virginia Stables on C Street, then . . . — — Map (db m77702) HM
Managed the Bank of California during the Comstock’s Bonanza period. During this time, he was known as the “King of the Comstock.”
William Sharon was the father of the Virginia and Truckee Railroad. He also formed the “Union . . . — — Map (db m21555) HM
Worked as a reporter for the Territorial Enterprise from 1861 until 1885, re-joined the paper in 1887 and continued working until the paper ceased operation.
While as a reporter he was the author of several books. His most famous was the . . . — — Map (db m21718) HM
Young America Engine Co. No. 2 was organized in 1862, housing its Rodgers double end stroke hand engine in the Metropolitan Stables building just South of here, across from the Presbyterian Church. In 1867, the company built a masonry fire hall just . . . — — Map (db m78129) HM