On U.S. 180 at milepost 124, on the right when traveling north. Reported permanently removed.
Sites in the surrounding hills indicate that Indians of the Mogollon culture (A.D. 300 – 1450) lived here long before the Europeans. In the late 19th century, this was a stronghold of Apaches led by Victorio and Geronimo. Today Bayard, which . . . — — Map (db m38213) HM
On U.S. 180 at milepost 122.2, on the left when traveling north.
Sites in the surrounding hills indicate that Indians of the Mogollon culture (A.D. 300 – 1450) lived here long before the Europeans. In the late 19th century, this was a stronghold of Apaches led by Victorio and Geronimo. Today Bayard, which . . . — — Map (db m38214) HM
On U.S. 180 at milepost 124, on the right when traveling north.
Bayard Station was first called Hall’s Station, a depot on the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe, serving a tuberculosis sanatorium at nearby Fort Bayard, which was named after Brigadier General George Dashiell Bayard. A settlement grew around the . . . — — Map (db m121901) HM
On Calle El Centro at Cam Foresta, on the right when traveling east on Calle El Centro.
Has been designated a
National Historic Landmark
For the important role it played in the military and medical history of southwest New Mexico
This fort possesses National Significance in commemorating the history of the United States . . . — — Map (db m38303) HM
On State Road 9 at milepost 146, on the left when traveling east.
Located in the Little Hatchet Mountains, Hachita was founded around 1875 as a mining camp. The mountains supplied the camp not only with silver and copper, but also its name, “little hatchet.” By 1884 Hachita grew to 300 residents. Soon . . . — — Map (db m37773) HM
On State Road 152 at milepost 32, on the left when traveling west.
Named in honor of Lt. W.H. Emory, who passed by here with the Army of the West in 1846. His report to the U.S. Government is the earliest scientific account of this region which then belonged to Mexico.
Elev. 8228 — — Map (db m38210) HM
On U.S. 180 at milepost 120.5 at Bayard Road, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 180.
One of the several posts created on the Apache frontier, Fort Bayard protected the Pinos Altos mining district. Company B of the black 125th Infantry served here, as did Lt. John J. Pershing. In 1900 the fort became a military hospital, and today . . . — — Map (db m38226) HM
On Scenic State Road 152 at milepost 2.3, 2.3 miles east of U.S. 180, on the right when traveling east.
Most famous of the many historic landmarks in the Black Range country is the Kneeling Nun. So named for its resemblance to a nun kneeling in prayer before a great altar. Many legends have grown up around the giant monolith which rests near the . . . — — Map (db m38228) HM
On State Road 152 at milepost 2.3, 2.3 miles east of U.S. 180, on the right when traveling east.
After eight failed negotiating sessions and the expiration of their labor contract, Mexican-American workers at nearby Empire Zinc mine struck for wage and benefit equality. When an injunction prohibited union members from picketing, the women - . . . — — Map (db m38229) HM
On State Road 35 0.2 miles north of State Road 152, on the right when traveling north.
People have lived in the Mimbres Valley since at least 2000 B.C. and probably earlier. Small villages of farmers lived in pithouses—underground single-family structures—by A.D 200. Around A.D. 1000, people began erecting pueblos, similar . . . — — Map (db m121824) HM
On U.S. 180 at milepost 120.7, on the right when traveling south.
Copper has been mined here since 1804. For five years, development by Francisco Manuel Elguea resulted in some 6,000,000 pounds of copper being transported annually to Mexico City by mule train. Brief periods of activity were halted by Apache . . . — — Map (db m38216) HM
Wind and water gradually sculpted the volcanic tuff at City of Rock creating the rows of monolithic blocks that gave this park its name. Camping/picnicking sites are tucked away among these Stonehenge-like formations and the park also features a . . . — — Map (db m64725) HM
The Mattocks Ruin is a large Mimbres archaeological site with pithouses and a pueblo dating more than 1,000 years ago. The site was once the home of the Mimbres people, Native Americans who left behind extraordinary black and white pottery which . . . — — Map (db m121956) HM
On State Road 78 at milepost 0.1, on the right when traveling east.
N.M. state Road 78 appeared on maps before 1927, but remained a gravel highway in several sections in Arizona and New Mexico through the 1960s. By 1971, all but one stretch near the border had been paved. Area rancher Curley Traynor was instrumental . . . — — Map (db m121649) HM
On State Road 15 at milepost 6.2, on the right when traveling north.
Once the seat of Grant County, Pinos Altos, survived conflicts with the Apache. A gold discovery in 1860 by three 49ers from California stimulated a boom that led to the establishment of this mining camp which produced over $8,000,000 of gold, . . . — — Map (db m38230) HM
On State Road 152, on the right when traveling east.
Before you is the Santa Rita copper mine, one of the oldest mines in North America.
The Santa Rita Mine, of Chino Operations, is owned by Freeport-McMoran Copper and Gold Inc. Chino produces copper and molybdenum.
An Industry . . . — — Map (db m71523) HM
On North Hudson Street at East Broadway, on the right when traveling south on North Hudson Street.
This 1870's style cabin was a gift from movie producer/director Ron Howard. It fits the era in which Billy the Kid lived here. The cabin was a part of the set of his 2003 movie “The Missing.”
The NM Dept. of Tourism negotiated the . . . — — Map (db m121819) HM
On East Broadway at North Hudson Street, on the right when traveling west on East Broadway.
This is a two-sided marker
Anita Scott Coleman’s mother was a slave and her father a Buffalo Soldier. Raised on a ranch near Silver City, her award-winning essays, stories, and poems emphasized racial pride and black women’s . . . — — Map (db m121818) HM
On State Road 211 at U.S. 180, on the right when traveling north on State Road 211.
The one-million acre L. C. completely overshadowed other ranches in southwestern New Mexico. At peak operation, 60,000 cattle grazed mountains and grasslands stretching to Arizona, employing 75 cowboys and 100 families to ranch and farm the land . . . — — Map (db m121650) HM
On State Road 90 at milepost 19.3, on the right when traveling south.
In March 1883, Judge and Mrs. H.C. McComas were killed in this vicinity by a group of Chiricahua Apaches led by Chatto. An extensive manhunt failed to rescue their six-year-old son, who had been taken captive. This incident was part of a violent . . . — — Map (db m38232) HM
On West Broadway Street at Pinos Altos Street, on the right when traveling west on West Broadway Street.
Silver City Centennial
Municipal Museum Town of Silver City
Built in 1881 as a private home for Harry B. Ailman Acquired by the town of Silver City in 1926 and dedicated as a historical museum by the town of Silver City in . . . — — Map (db m38307) HM
On West Broadway Street at North Bullard Street, on the right when traveling east on West Broadway Street.
Returned to this, its original location through the generosity of Wells Fargo Bank, successor to the American National Bank, which occupied this corner for 55 years.
The Town of Silver City
Mayor Terry Fortneberry
Judy . . . — — Map (db m38308) HM
On Memory Lane 0.2 miles south of Silver Heights Boulevard, on the right when traveling south.
In this pioneer cemetery, still in use today, lie the remains of early settlers, merchants, miners, politicians and railroad men who contributed to the development of southwestern New Mexico. Among those buried here are Kathrine Antrim (1829-1874), . . . — — Map (db m121821) HM
On U.S. 180 at milepost 111.5, on the right when traveling east.
Silver City is located in the midst of rich mineral deposits. The Santa Rita Copper Mines, opened in 1805, were the second such mines operating in what is now the U.S. A silver strike in 1870 began the commercial mining for which the area is still . . . — — Map (db m38231) HM
Near North Cooper Street at West Broadway Street, on the left when traveling north.
This plaque was erected May 10, 1970
commemorating the duplication of the ride
by the Grant County Sheriff’s posse, of the ride of:
John Bullard James Bullard Andrew Hurlbrut
Joseph Yankie John Swisshelm Henry Fuson
Elijah Weeks Richard . . . — — Map (db m126684) HM