Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Arts, Letters, Music Historical Markers

5464 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 5264
 
Daniel Pratt Cemetery / George Cooke Marker Side B image, Touch for more information
By Tim Carr, August 1, 2009
Daniel Pratt Cemetery / George Cooke Marker Side B
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Daniel Pratt Cemetery / George Cooke
(Front): Daniel Pratt CemeteryFinal resting place of early Alabama industrialist Daniel Pratt, 1799-1873, and wife Esther Ticknor Pratt, 1803-1875. He was from New Hampshire and she, Connecticut. Married 1827 at Fortville, Jones County, . . . — Map (db m27957) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Pratt HomesiteCirca 1842
Daniel Pratt, Prattville’s founding father, constructed an imposing home and garden within a quarter-mile of this site on Autauga Creek, near his industrial complex. The large home was designed and erected by Pratt himself, a noted architect / . . . — Map (db m27985) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Sidney LanierMusician - Poet - Patriot - Seer
Beloved teacher of Prattville Academy 1867 • on this site • 1868 whose memory will be forever cherished by people of Prattville, Ala. whom he loved and served — Map (db m70820) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Sidney Lanier/Prattville Male and Female Academy Site
Side 1 Sidney Lanier 1842-1881 The poet and musician, born in Macon, Georgia, was Academy principal in 1867-68. He married Mary H. Day of Macon in December 1867. In Prattville, they lived at the Mims Hotel and later in Dr. S.P. . . . — Map (db m70802) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Wilson Pickett, Jr.March 18, 1941 - January 19, 2006
A native of Prattville, Wilson Pickett was raised singing gospel in local churches. Upon moving to Detroit as a teenager, he began to blend gospel-style with rhythm and blues, resulting in some of "the deepest, funkiest soul music" to come from the . . . — Map (db m70804) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Fairhope — Craig Turner Sheldon1917-1997
Master woodcarver, adventurer, writer, World War II Marine Corps veteran, and Fairhope legend are just a brief summary of Craig Turner Sheldon's life and contributions. He settled here in 1946 with his Wife Annie Lowrie to raise their growing family . . . — Map (db m128894)
Alabama (Baldwin County), Stockton — Bartram’s Trail
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist - naturalist, passed through Baldwin County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain’s King . . . — Map (db m81855) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Stockton — Major Robert Farmar Plantation
Here on the banks of the Tensaw River -- named for the Tensa Indian tribe whose principal village was located at this place -- Major Robert Farmar developed a plantation c. 1772. Farmar was one of the most prominent and controversial Alabamians of . . . — Map (db m66380) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Clayton — Miller – Martin Townhouse
John H. Miller built this Gothic Revival townhouse in 1859. He and his wife moved from Orangeburg, South Carolina to Barbour County in the early 1830s, settling in an area which would become known as the Tabernacle community. He later purchased a . . . — Map (db m60755) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Georgiana — Hank Williams’ Boyhood Home / Thigpen’s Log Cabin Popular Dance Hall
Side 1 Hank Williams' Boyhood Home Hiram Williams lived in Georgiana from age 7 to 11. In 1931, Mrs. Lillie Williams moved Hiram and his sister Irene from rural Wilcox County to this house owned by Thaddeus B. Rose. When he . . . — Map (db m81276) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — 6 — Anniston Public Library DesegregationSeptember 15-16, 1963 — Anniston Civil Rights Trail —
Desegregation of the Library began when two African American pastors, Reverends William B. McClain and Nimrod Q. Reynolds, peacefully attempted to enter the building on September 15, 1963. Their actions were endorsed by the city of Anniston . . . — Map (db m106644) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Memorial Hall1904 – 1924
On this site stood "Memorial Hall," the two story, log and shingle administrative and social center of the Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home. Construction was partially financed by individuals from across the state who purchased "Memorial Logs" for . . . — Map (db m129410) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Verbena — Verbena, Alabama
The only community in the U.S. so designated, Verbena was named for the profuse wild flowers growing in the area. Settlers arrived in the area as early as 1832. Completion of the North-South Railroad and a train depot at Verbena in 1870 enabled . . . — Map (db m68286) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Carlton — Mt. Nebo Death Masks
Side 1 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Mt. Nebo Cemetery is home to the unique folk art of African American inventor and artist, Issac "Ike" Nettles, who used concrete to make images of living people's faces for . . . — Map (db m101576) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Rockville — Bartram's Trail
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist-naturalist, passed through Clarke County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain’s King George . . . — Map (db m101568) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Whatley — Reverend Timothy Horton Ball, A. M.
February 16, 1826, November 8, 1913. Minister, Teacher, Historian, Author. His love of history, natural resources and mankind led him to record events, past and present, writing many of his notes on the pommel of his saddle and also walking . . . — Map (db m83272) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — Percy Sledge/Producer Quin Ivy"When A Man Loves A Woman" / NORALA and Quinvy Studios
(side 1) Percy Sledge "When A Man Loves A Woman" Hospital orderly Percy Sledge recorded 'When a Man Loves a Woman' at Quin Ivy's studio in 1966. Sledge's breakup with a girlfriend inspired the lyrics credited to songwriters . . . — Map (db m83390) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — The Singing River SculptureIn Sheffield, Alabama
This sculpture is dedicated to the many individuals whose efforts made Sheffield and the Muscle Shoals area the “Hit Recording Capital of the World,” and to those who continue that legacy. Legend of the Singing River The . . . — Map (db m95130) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — History of the Library / Andalusia Post Office becomes Public Library
History of the Library In 1913 the Study Club of Andalusia was organized to establish a library for Andalusia. Led by founder Miss Ethel Darling the club held a book shower resulting in $5.50 and 15 books which became the embryo of the . . . — Map (db m129389) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Andalusia — Three Notch Road / Hank and Audrey Williams
[Side A:] Three Notch Road Established 1824 The Three Notch Road was a 90-mile section of a 230-mile military road to connect Pensacola with Fort Mitchell in Russell County on the Chattahoochee River. Capt. Daniel E. . . . — Map (db m83456) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — A Prison Chimney?
This engraving of the Union Prison at Cahaba was published in 1877 by Benson J. Lossing. The stockade had already been removed, so the details of the brick structure are visible. The artist apparently was in a boat in the Alabama River, behind you . . . — Map (db m83506) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Anna Gayle Fry House
Home site of the author of "Memories of Old Cahaba," whose family lived here from the Capital's earliest days as landowners and lawyers, giving her a rich legacy of town history. Married to a doctor, she moved to Galveston, Texas, and returned here . . . — Map (db m112360) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Cahaba — Saltmarsh Hall
In the late 1850s, Cahaba experienced a building boom. Everyone expected the town to prosper because of the new railroad. One of the first large brick structures built in this prosperous period was completed in 1856 by Dr. Saltmarsh. He . . . — Map (db m23009) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — The Sleeping Prophet
Edgar Cayce (1877-1945), was internationally accepted as an extremely gifted psychic. An humble man, he never profited materially from his psychic ability, but used it to help “make manifest the love of God and man.” Operated his . . . — Map (db m83680) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Fort Payne — Alabama"The Boys From Fort Payne" — 2006 Country Music Hall of Fame Inductee —
In the late '60s, cousins Randy Owen and Teddy Gentry discovered they shared a common interest in music. Joined by Jeff Cook, they started playing on a regular basis. Working their day jobs and playing any place they could locally in the evenings, . . . — Map (db m25277) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Alexander City — The Hank Williams Kowaliga Cabin1952
At this site stands the cabin where country music legend Hank Williams composed the song “Kaw-liga” in August, 1952. The song’s title was derived from the name of a Creek Indian town located on the banks of the Kowaliga Creek until 1836. . . . — Map (db m68038) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Dothan — Dothan Opera House
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the Department of the Interior, December 16, 1977, through the efforts of the Dothan Landmarks Foundation, Incorporated.

Constructed in 1915, this three-story masonry structure remains . . . — Map (db m83780) HM

Alabama (Houston County), Dothan — Johnny Mack Brown
Johnny Mack Brown, an outstanding athlete and western movie star, was born in Dothan on September 1, 1904. Johnny Mack was one of nine children born to John Henry and Hattie McGillivray Brown. The Brown family home was located on South Saint Andrews . . . — Map (db m83783) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Building The ParkVisiting the Park — Restoring Vulcan Park —
Side 1 - Building the Park In the mid-1930’s, civic leaders worked to move Vulcan to a place of honor on Red Mountain. The park was built through the combined efforts of several groups: the Kiwanis Club of Birmingham, the Birmingham Parks . . . — Map (db m83807) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Clark Building
This building was constructed in 1908 by Louis V. Clark (1862-1934), who also built the historic Lyric Theater located nearby on 18th Street. The Clark Theater on Caldwell Park is named in honor of Mr. Clark’s generosity to the Birmingham Little . . . — Map (db m27515) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Eddie James KendrickDecember 17, 1937 - October 5, 1992
Eddie James Kendrick, nicknamed "cornbread", was born the eldest of five children to Johnny and Lee Bell Kendrick in Union Springs, Alabama. After attending Western-Olin High School in Ensley, Alabama, Eddie was persuaded by his childhood . . . — Map (db m26724) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Fraternal Hotel Building
The Fraternal Hotel Building was built in 1925. Some of the businesses that were located in this building included: 1925 - 1980 Fraternal Hotel 1925 - 1970 Fraternal Café 1950 - 1966 Monroe Steak House 1985 - 1994 Grand Lodge Knights of . . . — Map (db m27518) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Jefferson County Courthouses
Side A Territorial legislature designated home of Maj. Moses Kelly (in Jones Valley) as site of first court in this area of Alabama, 1818. After creation of Jefferson County, 1819, court held at Carrollsville (Powderly) until county seat . . . — Map (db m25743) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Alabama TheatreBuilt 1927
Built by the Publix Theater division of Paramount Studios. This movie palace opened on December 26th, 1927. The theatre, in Spanish / Moorish design by Graven and Mayger of Chicago, seated 2500 in a five story, three-tiered auditorium. Paramount's . . . — Map (db m27337) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Birmingham Public Library / The Linn - Henley Research Library
Birmingham’s first library was organized in 1886 and in 1891 became a subscription library for the general public. In 1908 the Birmingham Public Library Association established a free public library, and the City created an independent Library Board . . . — Map (db m83856) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Iron Man: Vulcan
The giant, cast iron statue you see towering above you is Vulcan, the Roman god of metalwork and the forge. The 56-foot tall statue was commissioned by Birmingham leaders to represent their new, growing city at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. After . . . — Map (db m26297) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — The Little Theater Clark Memorial Theatre Virginia Samford Theatre
Built in 1937 by Gen. Louis Verdier Clark from a design by architect William T. Warren as a community playhouse for cultural activities. It was recognized as one of the best of its kind in the nation. Mrs. Vassar Allen - first president, Bernard . . . — Map (db m27513) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Tuxedo Junction
"Tuxedo Junction" was the street car crossing on the Ensley-Fairfield line at this corner in the Tuxedo Park residential area. It also refers to the fraternal dance hall operated in the 1920's and 1930s on the second floor of the adjacent building, . . . — Map (db m25623) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Hoover — Lover’s Leap1827 - 1973
The poetic lines inscribed on the boulder below is a replica of those carved in 1827 by Thomas W. Farrar. Thomas W. Farrar was the Founder and first Grand Master of the Masonic Lodge in Alabama 1821-22-24. This historical site donated to . . . — Map (db m28490) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Birthplace of W.C. Handy1873
William Christopher Handy, acclaimed worldwide as the “Father of the Blues” was born November 16, 1873, in his grandfather’s two~room log cabin which was located at this site. All structures in this area were removed in 1954 to make way . . . — Map (db m141964) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Caroline Lee HentzCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Educator and author Caroline Hentz was among the first female novelists in America. Her 13 volumes were some of the most popular in the U.S. during the mid-1800s, and her three dramas were produced in major cities. — Map (db m29100) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Henry S. "Hank" KlibanoffCity of Florence Walk of Honor
A keen observer and researcher of the Civil Rights Movement in the South, Hank Klibanoff won the Pulitzer Prize in 2007 for The Race Beat: The Press, the Civil Rights Struggle, and the Awakening of a Nation. — Map (db m38643) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Locust Dell Academy1834~1843
On this site Nicholas Marcellus Hentz conducted a girls' school. Native of Metz, France, Hentz was a painter, entomologist, author, and was once a professor at University of North Alabama. Experimenting with silkworms, he planted groves of mulberry . . . — Map (db m84029) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Maurice Causey
At age 16 in 1982, Maurice Causey won a Ford Foundation Scholarship to the American School of Ballet. He has served at Ballet Master for the Royal Swedish Ballet and the Netherland Dance Theater. — Map (db m138783) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Michael "Nick" NicholsCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Winner of international awards such as the 1982 Wildlife Photographer of the Year through the Overseas Press Club, Michael Nichols was named Photography Editor-at-Large for National Geographic Magazine in 2008. — Map (db m99375) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Samuel Cornelius PhillipsCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Known as the "Father of Rock and Roll," Sam Phillips established Sun Records in 1952, helping Elvis Presley and other well-known artists launch their careers. He received a Grammy for Lifetime Achievement in music. — Map (db m84046) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — The Father of Rock ’N’ Roll / Sam Phillips in Florence
Side A Sam Phillips fell in love with the miracle of sound and the unifying power of music. Moving to Memphis, Tennessee, he embraced the beauty of the blues with his early recordings of Howlin Wolf, B.B. King and other delta artists. In . . . — Map (db m29270) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — The Rolling Stones in the Shoals in 1969Sticky Fingers Ranks Among Greatest Albums
The Rolling Stones in the Shoals in 1969. The Rolling Stones stayed at the Florence Holiday Inn on this site for several nights while recording at the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Sheffield. When a hired engineer failed to arrive, . . . — Map (db m79565) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Thomas Sigismund StriblingCity of Florence Walk of Honor
In 1934, T.S. Stribling won the Pulitzer Prize for The Store, part of a trilogy set in Florence. His story "Birthright" was produced in Hollywood as a silent movie and, later, with sound. — Map (db m29102) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — 186 — W. C. Handy Birthplace
(side 1) William Christopher Handy, widely honored as the “Father of the Blues,” was born in this house on November 16, 1873. In his autobiography, Handy traced the key events in his discovery of the blues back to his time in . . . — Map (db m90306) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — William Christopher HandyCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Born in Florence in 1873, W.C. Handy wrote some of the country's most recognizable blues music such as the "St. Louis Blues." He became internationally known as the "Father of the Blues." — Map (db m28890) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — William Christopher HandyHome-Museum-Library
(side 1) William Christopher Handy was born on November 16, 1873, in this two-room log cabin, which was located approximately one-half mile north of this site. In 1954, the cabin was dismantled, placed in storage, and restored to its . . . — Map (db m90292) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — William D. "Buddy" KillenCity of Florence Walk of Honor
Buddy Killen earned international renown as a music publisher, songwriter, record producer and recording artist. He help launch the careers of a host of well-known musicians during the last half of the 20th century. — Map (db m28905) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Moulton — Anne Newport Royall
Born 11 June 1769, in Maryland and married 18 Nov 1797, Anne Royall became a wealthy widow upon her Revolutionary War Veteran husband's death in 1813. However, her husband's family filed an ultimately successful suit for his estate. While she waited . . . — Map (db m84309) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Robert Wilton Burton1848-1917
(Side 1) Near this site once stood "Four-Story Cottage," the home of Robert Wilton Burton. A one-story house with wide porch and bay window, Burton built it in 1885 with proceeds from the sale of four stories to children's magazines. Born . . . — Map (db m74440) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Loachapoka — Dr. Alexandar Nunn / Lee County Historical Society
Side 1 Dr. Alexandar Nunn Dr. Nunn was born in Loachapoka on September 17, 1904. Beginning in 1924 he contributed to and edited the Progressive Farmer Magazine for 43 years. He helped to start Southern Living . . . — Map (db m73537) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Birthplace of Zora Neale HurstonNotasulga, Alabama — Zora Neale Hurston (1891-1960) —
Side 1 Celebrated author Zora Neale Hurston was born in Notasulga on January 7, 1891. Her parents, John Hurston and Lucy Potts met here, at the Macedonia Baptist Church. but moved to Eatonville, Florida where Zora grew up. Through . . . — Map (db m95110) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Confederate Monument
Erected on November 21, 1905, a handsome monument was dedicated to the Confederate dead by the Virginia Clay Clopton Chapter #1107 United Daughters of the Confederacy of Huntsville, and was unveiled with proper ceremonies in which many veterans of . . . — Map (db m27784) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Howard Weeden Home
Built 1819 by H. C. Bradford, this home was later owned by John Read, John McKinley, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court (1837-1852), Bartley M. Lowe, M. C. Betts and Marie Howard Weeden (1846-1905) whose poetry and paintings preserve nineteenth . . . — Map (db m27841) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Tallulah Bankhead / I. Schiffman Building1902-1968 / Birthplace of Tallulah Bankhead — Alabama’s Best-Known Actress —
Side A Tallulah Bankhead was the toast of the London theatre in the 1920's, and nationally renowned for her dramatic roles in “The Little Foxes” (1939), “The Skin of Our Teeth” (1942), the movie . . . — Map (db m27850) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), Demopolis — The Demopolis Opera House / Lillian Hellman AndThe Little Foxes
The Demopolis Opera House In 1876, the town of Demopolis leased the former Presbyterian Church, a classic brick structure built in 1843 and occupied by federal troops during Reconstruction, to the Demopolis Opera Association. The . . . — Map (db m38009) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), Dixons Mills — Office of Joel Desaker Jones
Born January 5, 1861 - Died June 28, 1948 Marengo Co. Surveyor, Historian, and Journalist Author of Democrat Reporter Newspaper Column “Old Times” "He was a Baptist, A Mason, A Surveyor, an Old-Timer" . . . — Map (db m73005) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 32 — Dr. H. Roger Williams(1869-1929)
Dr. Williams opened one of the early African-American drugstores- Live and Let Live on this site in 1901. Born on a sugar plantation in Louisiana, he graduated from Meharry Medical School in 1900 and was the second black physician to practice . . . — Map (db m86393) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 16 — Dr. James A. Franklin(1886-1972)
This was the residence of Dr. Franklin, who served the medical needs of Mobile for fifty-three years. He never turned an indigent patient away. Franklin was the only African-American to graduate from the University of Michigan in 1911. He opened his . . . — Map (db m111350) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 30 — National African-American Archives and Museum
George B. Rogers, a prominent architect, designed this smaller replica of the main library in 1931. It is a classically inspired white structure with linear lines. It was the only library for blacks until desegregation in the mid-1960s. Today it is . . . — Map (db m111308) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Saenger Theatre
Opening night, January 19, 1927, saw crowds gather to hear local dignitaries praise Mobile's "Place of Entertainment". Today the Saenger Theatre remains the entertainment center of downtown. Designed by Emile Weil in the French Renaissance . . . — Map (db m86503) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Site of Mobile's First Theater
Erected in 1824 N. M. Ludlow whence Theater Street derives its name — Map (db m86437) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Site of Sixth Mobile Theatre1841-1860
Here played the great of the American and British stage, among them: James Wallack, Fanny Kemble, Ole Bull, Joseph Field, Joseph Jefferson, James H. Hackett, William Macready, Charlotte Cushman, Edwin Forrest, Julia Dean, Junius Booth, Anna Mowatt, . . . — Map (db m86352) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Monroeville — Atticus Finch: Lawyer - Hero
"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." These words of Charles Lamb are the epigraph to Harper Lee's "To Kill A Mockingbird", a novel about childhood and about a great and noble lawyer, Atticus Finch. The legal profession has in Atticus . . . — Map (db m47700) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Monroeville — Monroeville, Alabama"From one store in 1822 to Alabama's Literary Capital in 1997"
Front: Originally a part of the Mississippi Territory purchased from Spain in 1795, this area was inhabited and controlled by Indian Nations until 1814. Now safe from Indian uprisings, settlers migrated down the Old Federal Road as far as . . . — Map (db m86000) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Monroeville — Old Monroe County Courthouse
The Old Monroe County Courthouse, designed by prominent Southern architect Andrew Bryan, was built between 1903 and 1904 during the tenure of Probate Judge Nicholas Stallworth. One of two buildings of this type designed by Bryan (a sister courthouse . . . — Map (db m47688) HM
Alabama (Monroe County), Monroeville — Truman Capote(1924-1984)
On this site stood the home of the Faulk family of Monroeville, relatives of the writer Truman Capote. Capote himself lived in this home between 1927 and c. 1933, and for several years spent his summer vacations here. Two of the Faulk sisters . . . — Map (db m47694) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Wilson Hall
Dedicated to the memory of Gill Robb Wilson Author – Airman – American Elder Statesman For Aerospace Power Founder of Civil Air Patrol September 18, 1893 . . . — Map (db m96846) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Birthplace of Nat "King" Cole
Nat King Cole was a jazz pianist, composer, and singer celebrated as an American popular music artist in the 1940s and 1950s. He was born March 17, 1919 in Montgomery, Alabama as one of five children to Edward James Coles, a minister at Beulah . . . — Map (db m71228) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Dexter AvenueFormerly Market Street
This street was named to honor Andrew Dexter one of the founders of Montgomery Along this street moved the inaugural parade of Jefferson Davis when he took the oath of office as President of the Confederate States of America February 18, 1861 . . . — Map (db m36589) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Fitzgerald Home(ca. 1910)
(side 1) F. Scott Fitzgerald, his wife Zelda and daughter Scottie lived in this house from October 1931 to April 1932. During this period Fitzgerald worked on his novel Tender Is the Night and Zelda began her only novel, Save . . . — Map (db m69187) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Juliette Hampton Morgan / Montgomery City-County Public Library
(side 1) Juliette Hampton Morgan Juliette Hampton Morgan was a white Montgomery, Alabama librarian whose privileged upbringing seemed unlikely to produce the determined civil rights activist that she became. Her letters to the . . . — Map (db m71258) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Lilly Baptist Church"The Lilly" — 820 Hill Street —
Lilly Baptist Church, established November, 1900 as a missionary church of Bethel Missionary Baptist. Originally located on St. Clair Street in a small frame building. Moved May 27, 1973, into new 1500-seat sanctuary at present location. Education . . . — Map (db m71088) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Lincoln Cemetery / Rufus Payne, 1884-1939
Side 1 Lincoln Cemetery 1907 In 1907 the American Securities Company opened Lincoln Cemetery for African Americans and Greenwood Cemetery for whites, the first commercial cemeteries in the city. Landscape design indicates . . . — Map (db m71342) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery City Hall / Funeral for Hank Williams
(Front) Built 1936-37 Following a fire in 1932 that destroyed a 19th century City Hall, architect Frank Lockwood designed a replacement for the same site. With the Depression affecting all construction projects during the period, the . . . — Map (db m36571) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery Theatre
Opened in Oct. 1860 as the South moved closer to secession, the theatre was significant in the social, cultural and political life of the city. In the early months, John Wilkes Booth performed here, Bryant Minstrels introduced "Dixie," which was . . . — Map (db m36572) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Parks Branch Library / Bertha Pleasant Williams
Side 1 Rosa Parks Branch Library Second public library for blacks in City of Montgomery, this building opened in 1960 as Montgomery Branch Library on Cleveland Avenue. Designed by architect James Miller Davis, it served the black . . . — Map (db m71388) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Parks Montgomery Bus Boycott / Hank Williams Alabama Troubadour
Side A At the bus stop on this site on December 1, 1955, Mrs. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to boarding whites. This brought about her arrest, conviction, and fine. The Boycott began December 5, the day of Parks’ trial, as a . . . — Map (db m86422) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Montgomery Theater
On a wall in this building, "The Montgomery Theater" Dan Emmett first inscribed the score of Dixie for his minstrel orchestra. H.F. Arnold arranged it for band music and used it at the inauguration of Jefferson Davis President of the Confederacy. . . . — Map (db m36574) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Marks HouseCirca 1825
Built by William Matthews Marks, who immigrated from Oglethrope County, GA, on acreage purchased from the U.S. land office in Cahaba, AL for $1.25 per acre. Foundation is pegged-together heart pine; framing is 3" by 9" timbers; mantles, dados, . . . — Map (db m86472) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — The Decatur DailyA Century of Service / Four Generations of Sheltons
A Century of Service The Decatur Daily newspaper began publication in the basement of a building on the northeast corner of Moulton Street and Second Avenue on Feb. 26, 1912 to serve the adjacent towns of Decatur and New Decatur. Its web . . . — Map (db m127338) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Words of Resistance
Oral tradition—stories passed from one generation to the next—long told the history of the Cherokee people. Sequoyah was the first to write it down. In 1921, about 90 miles east of Decatur, he created the Cherokee syllabary, a set of 85 . . . — Map (db m140861) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — “The Thinker”
Donated to Troy University by Huo Bao Zhu During the visit of Chancellor Jack Hawkins, Jr. to Xian, China in April 2002. The gift was made in celebration of the Sino-American 1-2-1 Joint Degree Program and as a lasting symbol of friendship between . . . — Map (db m38930) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Hawkins-Adams-Long Hall Of Honor
Built in 1997, the Hall of Honor is named to honor three key leaders of Troy University: two Chancellors - Dr. Jack Hawkins, Jr. and Dr. Ralph W. Adams and the longtime leaders of the “Sound of the South” Marching Band and Director . . . — Map (db m38942) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Violata Pax Dove
The Violata Pax (Wounded Peace) Dove symbolizes beauty and peace, sorrow and tragedy. Where you stand determines what you see. The sculpture was originally commissioned as part of a post-earthquake renovation project for the Basilica of Saint . . . — Map (db m111584) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Bartram's Trail
William Bartram, American's first native born artist - naturalist, passed through Russell County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain's King . . . — Map (db m48433) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — The Tie-Snake
The Creek Indians believed this section of the river was inhabited by a giant Tie-Snake, a mythical monster that snared the unwary and dragged them down into the watery underworld. The Tie-Snake was but one of many strange creatures and natural . . . — Map (db m69067) HM
Alabama (Sumter County), York — History of York / The Coleman Center
History of York Legend has it that York began at a blacksmith shop called Old Anvil, located at a crossroads a few miles northwest of the present city. Circa 1833, early settlers of a site located east of modern-day York on the old . . . — Map (db m89719) HM
Alabama (Talladega County), Sylacauga — The B.B. Comer Memorial LibraryTalladega County
The Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Sylacauga community, and the state of Alabama, constructed this library in 1939. The building is the result of $16,588 from raised local funds including a $5000 donation for furnishings from the family of . . . — Map (db m131721) HM
Alabama (Tallapoosa County), Dadeville — Johnson J. Hooper1815 - 1861
Author, Editor, Lawyer Secretary of Congress, C.S.A. As a writer he created Captain Simon Suggs of the Tallapoosa Volunteers, fictional character whose humorous, rascally escapades of pioneer days in Alabama became world famous. — Map (db m28745) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Denny Chimes
Marker Front: This bell tower, an enduring symbol of Alabama's first university, was erected in honor of President George H. Denny, under whose leadership (1911 to 1936) The University of Alabama gained national prominence. Conceived by . . . — Map (db m29610) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — First Presbyterian ChurchTuscaloosa
Organized 1820. Moved to this site 1830. Present structure erected 1921. Under the leadership of Dr. Charles A. Stillman, (Minister, 1869-1895) it sponsored the founding of Stillman College in 1876. Its bell was the subject of a poem by . . . — Map (db m35364) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Friedman Home
Built 1835 by Alfred Battle; purchased 1875 by Bernard Friedman; willed to the city of Tuscaloosa 1965 by Hugo Friedman. Traditionally a social and cultural center in Tuscaloosa, it was the residence of Virginia Tunstall Clay-Clopton, author of . . . — Map (db m35368) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — The Little Round House
Constructed as a guard house for the Alabama Corps of Cadets during the early 1860's, the Little Round House provided shelter from inclement weather for cadets on sentry duty. Until 1865, it also housed the University Drum Corps, which was composed . . . — Map (db m25387) HM
Alaska (Anchorage Borough), Anchorage — Raven the CreatorCreated by John Hoover in 1998
Raven is the Creator in many Alaska Native and American Indian legends. Elements from my different legends are incorporated into this sculpture including "Raven Stealing the Stars, Sun, and Moon." The human figures in the claws symbolize icons used . . . — Map (db m72793) HM
Alaska (Ketchikan Gateway Borough), Ketchikan — Chief Kyan Totem Pole
Totem poles are carved to honor deceased ancestors record history, social events, and oral tradition. They were never worshipped as religious objects. This totem is the second replication of the Chief Kyan Totem Pole. The original pole was . . . — Map (db m70746) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 20 — El Rio Theatre
Built c.1915 & originally called the Apache Theatre, this adobe movie house once showed silent flickers with a hand-cranked projector. Renamed the El Rio in 1937, Round Valley's first theatre is still operating with its original popcorn machine. — Map (db m36381) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Willcox — Rex Allen Memorial
[Marker mounted to the left of sculpture:] Born December 31, 1920 to Horace and Faye Allen in Willcox, Rex Elvie Allen was cross-eyed at birth. As a young boy, Rex sang in the barber shop on this very street. He and his Dad played . . . — Map (db m28199) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Hopi HouseConstructed in 1905
Designed as living quarters for Hopi artisans and as a place to sell Hopi crafts and souvenirs, this building represents the efforts of the Fred Harvey Company to revive Southwest Indian arts and crafts. Designed by Mary Jane Colter, the building . . . — Map (db m39509) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Kolb StudioGrand Canyon National Park
The Kolb Brothers: daring, persistent, Grand Canyon legends. Their studio stands before you. Ellsworth Kolb arrived here in 1901, Emery in 1902. First located in a tent, their photo business grew with Grand Canyon tourism. They eventually . . . — Map (db m39549) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Van Deren Ranch
Lee Van Deren, cattleman, arrived to put his children in the new Sedona school opened in 1910. Ranching was a major part of Sedona’s early economy. Round ups and cattle drives were a twice a year occurrence for ranchers when moving their herds from . . . — Map (db m54229) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Sultana Theater
This entertainment center opened in 1912 and boasted a theater and room for dances and other events. It featured silent movies until 1930 when the first "talkies" in northern Arizona were shown, drawing notadle visitors like Will Rodgers. The . . . — Map (db m33385) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Payson — Zane Grey's Cabin
An Ohio born dentist, Zane Grey spent many years under the Mogollon Rim, writing "To the Last Man" and a dozen other westerns with Arizona settings and characters. His prolific writings popularized the American cowboy as a taciturn, romantic figure. — Map (db m67413) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Salome — Salome"Where She Danced"
This desert town was made famous by the humor of Dick Wick Hall, healthseeker and operator of the laughing gas station. Hall's publication the Salome Sun was filled with extravagant tales of the desert's adaptation of species. He told of his frog . . . — Map (db m31824) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Mesa — Barrett Tillman
Commemorative Air Force Arizona Military Aviation Walk of Honor Proudly Recognizes Barrett Tillman Barrett Tillman (born 1948) is an award-winning author who has made significant contributions to aviation history. As a teenaged private . . . — Map (db m102907) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Orpheum Theatre1929
Has been placed on the Phoenix Property Register and the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m72462) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — The Spire
This Frank Lloyd Wright designed Spire was originally part of the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Arizona State Capitol project from 1957. The Spire is 125 feet in height and was formally illuminated on 28 April 2004. Taliesin Architects. Arnold . . . — Map (db m40619) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Whispers from the PastPetrified Forest — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
For thousands of years, indigenous people have used rock faces as means of communication. Petroglyphs are images, symbols, or designs scratched, pecked, carved, or incised on the surface of rock. These features are like whispers from the past and . . . — Map (db m68893) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Winslow — Standin' on the Corner ParkWinslow, Arizona
This area was dedicated on September 11, 1999 as a tribute to the memorable song of the 1970's that made Winslow, Arizona a town to sing about on famous Route 66. Route 66 Roadside Attraction Recognized by Hampton Hotels Save-A-Landmark . . . — Map (db m36329) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — DeGrazia Gallery In the Sun
DeGrazia Gallery in the Sun has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places October 12, 2006 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m29479) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Teatro Carmen
Named for its founder, Carmen Soto Vásquez, this was one of the first theaters in Tucson devoted exclusively to the presentation of dramatic works in Spanish. From the opening night, May 20, 1915, with a performance of "Cerebro y Corazón" by the . . . — Map (db m83233) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — Temple of Music and Art
This cultural center was built through the efforts of the Saturday Morning Music Club. The grand opening October 28, 1927, starred violinist Jascha Heifetz. Many world-renowned artists followed upon the stage and in the galleries while local talent . . . — Map (db m26442) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — In Memory of Tom Mix
. . . — Map (db m26621) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Tom Mix & Tony, Jr.
This is the original Tony, Jr. that was used for the memorial to Tom Mix which was dedicated on December 5, 1947, south of Florence. The silhouette was designed by Fernando Arriola. This Tony, Jr. was stolen and missing for two years. The . . . — Map (db m26672) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Solon Hannibal Borglum America's First Cowboy Sculptor1866 - 1922
This free-spirited Son of the West, sensitive to the changing era in which he lived, portrayed the western epic in marble and bronze. Our "Bucky O'Neill" monumental bronze is among his greatest works, and is acclaimed by art critics as one of the . . . — Map (db m21165) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Elvis Plays SedonaHistoric Sedona
By the time MGM came to Sedona to film “Stay Away Joe” in 1967, audiences had fallen in love with the Elvis Presley movie formula. This contemporary western comedy spotlighted Elvis and other such distinguished co-stars as Burgess . . . — Map (db m133568) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Movie ProductionsHistoric Sedona
The first film shot in the Sedona area was Call of the Canyon, based on Zane Grey’s novel of the same name. This 1923 silent film was shot on location in Oak Creek Canyon near the site of Mayhew’s Lodge, and exposed the scenic wonders of the red . . . — Map (db m133562) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — The Artist of SedonaHistoric Sedona
The theme of arts and culture is a prominent one in Sedona for the period following World War II. Today, no city of its size in America has a finer arts pedigree than does Sedona. Home to both the Cowboy Artists of America and the Sedona Arts . . . — Map (db m133573) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post — The American Era
The land passed from France to the United States in 1803 with the Louisiana Purchase. Arkansas then became a territory on March 2, 1819: the Post of Arkansas was designated its capital. The Territorial Secretary Robert Crittendon, acting in the . . . — Map (db m108651) HM
Arkansas (Boone County), Harrison — The Harrison Daily Times
lt is one of the town's oldest commercial buildings and was built in 1876. The original building was a two story wooden structure and was replaced after the tum of the century with a one story rock building The facade has been updated several . . . — Map (db m141821) HM
Arkansas (Boone County), Harrison — The Lyric Theater
It was originally operated as a silent movie theater located on the West side of the square and owned by DE & Lulu Fitton. In 1929 JW Bass built a state of the art theater for talkies, leasing it back to the Fittons as the "New" Lyric. A mix of . . . — Map (db m141840) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Eureka Springs Historical MuseumEstablished 1971 in Calif House

This three-story limestone building with metal-clad roof enclosing the top story was constructed in 1889 by Samuel L. Calif. For fifty years it served as a residence, general merchandise store, and boarding house. About 1948 the building was . . . — Map (db m90699) HM

Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — A-23 — Albert Pike School HouseCrawford County — 1836 – 1936 —
In this small log building Albert Pike noted lawyer, poet and mason taught school in 1832. He later went to Little Rock to become editor of the Advocate. — Map (db m96857) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — History of Hebe Statue
Hebe, Greek goddess of youth and happiness was placed in her fountain on the Crawford County Courthouse lawn in 1908 by the Women's Village Improvement Society. Repairs were made to both Hebe and fountain in memory of Robert Benham who served . . . — Map (db m97670) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Margaret E. Woolfolk LibraryErected 2001 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail —
Woolfolk is author of The History of Marion and History of Crittenden County, an award-winning newspaper editor, graduated from Memphis State Law School in 1985 at the age of 68, entered into private practice, and served as Marion . . . — Map (db m116783) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hiram Abiff Whittington1805-1890
Front of Obelisk Born in Boston, Mass., came to Arkansas in 1826 to be printer for the Arkansas Gazette. In 1882 he moved to Hot Springs and in a two room log cabin established a general store, post office and lending library. He served as . . . — Map (db m116351) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Kenji Miyazawa1896-1933
You are facing the only statue of Kenji Miyazawa outside of Japan. We are grateful to the Miyazawa family for permission to erect it here. It is our hope that you will appreciate his body of work, including the message contained in this poem, and . . . — Map (db m130033) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — The BandstandHot Springs National Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
As you view the formal entrance to Hot Springs National Park today, several pieces of the original architectural design from the 1890s are no longer present. For example, a distinctive stone and wood pavilion called the Bandstand graced the top of . . . — Map (db m145650) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Albert King
Moving to Osceola with his family at age 8, Blues legend Albert King (1923-1992) earned an early living picking cotton on nearby farms. King began his magnificent professional career in Osceola with his group, In The Groove Boys. King's T99 Club, . . . — Map (db m36412) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Billy Lee Riley
Billy Lee Riley began picking cotton at age 7 on the Jacksonville plantation in Osceola. Influenced by local bluesmen, Riley became a 1950s rockabilly star, recording his first hit, Flyin' Saucers Rock & Roll, at Sun Studios. Retiring from music . . . — Map (db m36420) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Jimmy "Popeye" Thomas
Osceola native Jimmy Thomas split his youth working in cotton fields and playing local juke joints. As a teenager, he joined Ike Turner's Kings of Rhythm as lead singer, later performing with the Ike and Tina Turner Review. Settling in London, . . . — Map (db m36419) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Reggie Young
Called the most prolific session guitarist of all time, Reggie Young grew up along the Cotton Highway in Osceola in the 1940s. Joining a multitude of famous artists, such as Johnny Cash, Elvis Presely, the Beatles, and Willie Nelson, Young has . . . — Map (db m36409) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Son Seals
Osceola native Frank "Son" Seals (1942-2004) began playing professionally at 13 with Robert Nighthawk, then, formed his own band at 17, touring with Albert King. Winner of three W.C. Handy Awards for best blues recording of the year, Seals' riveting . . . — Map (db m36414) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — Willie Bloom
Osceola's own "Sweet Man," Willie Bloom, captured Southern cotton workers' sentiment with his legendary Blues music dating back to 1918. Bloom, whose recordings included "Osceola Blues," played alongside musical giants such as W.C. Handy, Jimmy . . . — Map (db m36416) HM
Arkansas (Monroe County), Brinkley — Louis JordanSounds from the Soil & Soul — Arkansas Delta Music Trail —
Louis Jordan, born July 8, 1908, in Brinkley, Arkansas, was one of the state's brightest musical stars, ruling the rhythm and blues charts of the World War II era with hits like "Choo Choo Ch'Boogie," "Let the Good Times Roll," "Is You Is or . . . — Map (db m117265) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Live at the Opera House
Traveling road shows, vaudeville, dog-and-pony shows, mind readers, magicians, bell ringers and boxing matches-they all appeared live at Helena's Grand Opera House. In the days before radio, movies and television live entertainment was king. . . . — Map (db m107996) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — 88 — The Blues Trail: Mississippi to Helena
Helena has played a vital role in blues history for artists from both sides of the Mississippi River. Once known as a “wide open” hot spot for music, gambling, and nightlife, Helena was also the birthplace of “King Biscuit . . . — Map (db m51907) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), North Little Rock — The Old Mill at T. R. Pugh Memorial Park
Dedicated August 6, 1933, as Pugh's Memorial Park, the Old Mill is a replica of an abandoned water-powered grist mill that would have been used by Arkansas pioneers in the 1800s. Although the Old Mill never actually operated as a mill, the iron . . . — Map (db m53181) HM
Arkansas (Saline County), Benton — The Niloak Pottery
Founded in 1910 by C. D. "Bullet" Hyten, a master potter, the Niloak Pottery operated in Benton for 37 years. The unique multicolored spiral pieces were hand turned using natural colored clays dug from nearby "Pottery Hill." Niloak, kaolin spelled . . . — Map (db m104026) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — GPY-140-02 — Clark Memorial BenchMy Dumb Friends Bench
Donated to the city of Alameda in 1920 by Park Avenue resident Isabella Derby Clark, this concrete bench was designed by Myrtle Maillot. Mrs. Clark was a proponent of animal welfare. The inscription "In memory of my dumb friends" is a reference to . . . — Map (db m101553) HM
California (Alameda County), Albany — Rose WaveColin Lambert & Peter Adams, 2007
This sculpture honors the Gill Family rose nursery that operated during the late 19th to early 20th century in the area extending west from San Pablo Avenue to Ocean View Park. It also honors the original name of the City of Albany, which was . . . — Map (db m137060) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — "In Tribute to Chiura Obata"1885-1975 (小圃 千浦)
Always go with nature, anywhere, in any circumstance, with gratitude.

The renowned and highly respected Japanese American artist Chiura Obata was a popular member of the faculty at the University of California, Berkeley from 1932 to . . . — Map (db m122842) HM

California (Alameda County), Berkeley — “A People’s History of Telegraph Avenue”
Mural designed by Osha Newmann, painted with O’Brien Thiele, Janet Kranzberg, Daniel Galvez and many others Painted in 1976 Restored and enlarged in 1999 City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1990 The mural on this wall was painted . . . — Map (db m54696) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Annie and Bernard Maybeck HouseBernard Maybeck, Architect — 1933 —
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1990 In 1901 architect Bernard Maybeck purchased ten acres of land here in La Loma Park. He built a sprawling brown shingle home for his family down the street in 1909 and subdivided the rest of his land . . . — Map (db m53862) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Anthony Boucher: Editor and WriterBerkeley History
From 1947 to 1968 this was the home of William Anthony Parker White (1911-1968), universally known by the pen name Anthony Boucher. This Oakland-born author with a master's degree from UC Berkeley was a pivotal figure in the establishment and . . . — Map (db m136180) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Piano ClubWilliam L. Woollett, Architect, 1912
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2005 The Berkeley Piano Club, dedicated to the performance and study of music, was founded in 1893 by a group of local women. Early meetings were held in members’ homes and later in a barn at the . . . — Map (db m54726) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Elks Club BuildingWalter H. Ratcliff, Architect — 1913 —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1991 Berkeley’s Elks Club, the 1002nd Chapter of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, was founded in 1905, just in time for members to assist those displaced by the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. . . . — Map (db m54262) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Ennor’s Restaurant BuildingJames W. Plachek, Architect — John P. Brennan, Builder; 1923 —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2006 This reinforced concrete building with its articulated brick facade and simple classical detailing was built for Harvey and Marie Ennor at a time of energetic downtown development. They expanded a . . . — Map (db m54337) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Everett and Marie Glass HouseWilliam Wilson Wurster, Architect — 1938, 1941 —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1995 The Glass House is considered one of the best residential works of Wurster, who was the founding dean of UC Berkeley’s College of Environmental Design. This simply detailed, shed roof house was built . . . — Map (db m53858) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Federal Land BankJames W. Plachek, Architect, 1938 — ELS Architects, 1999 —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated 1985 The Farm Credit Administration built this structure to house federal agricultural banking and financial agencies, including one of the 12 Federal Land Banks that assisted Depression-era farmers. Features . . . — Map (db m54258) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Golden Sheaf Bakery AnnexCity of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1978 — Clinton Day, Architect, 1905 * Jim Novosel, Architect, 2000 —
Listed on the National Record of Historic Places In 1877, English immigrant John G. Wright founded the Golden Sheaf, Berkeley's first wholesale/retail bakery. The original bakery, with a public dining room, stood around the corner on Shattuck . . . — Map (db m50360) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Howard Automobile CompanyFrederick Reimers, Architect, 1930, Hayashida Architects, 2006 — Renovations for the Buddhist Churches of America, Jodo Shinshu Center —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1983 This Zig-Zag Moderne building, designed for the sale and servicing of Buick automobiles, captures the glamour, rising affluence, and sophistication of the post-World War I era. Charles Howard, who . . . — Map (db m54334) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — John Hinkel ParkClubhouse: John Gregg, Designer, 1918 — Amphitheater: Vernon Dean, Designer, 1934 —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2001 In 1919 John and Ada Hinkel donated seven hillside areas to the City of Berkeley in appreciation of the Boy Scouts’ service to the nation during the First World War. Before making their gift, the . . . — Map (db m53849) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Lorin Theater(Philips Temple C. M. E. Church) — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1982 —
Hiram Lovell, Architect, 1910, 1914 James W. Plachek, Architect, 1921 The popularity of early movies created a demand for new spaces to accommodate eager audiences. South Berkeley’s first neighborhood theater with 144 stools for seats was . . . — Map (db m53816) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Mrs. E.P. (Stella) King BuildingAlbert Dodge Coplin, Architect — 1901 —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2005 This corner store was built for Stella King’s dry goods business and upstairs residence. Until the shop closed in 1923, it was a gathering place where neighbors could find everything from sewing . . . — Map (db m54722) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Panoramic HillListed on the National Register of Historic Places — A National Historic District —
Berkeley History The Panoramic Hill Historic District typifies Berkeley’s early hillside neighborhoods. Steep and narrow Panoramic Way, carved out in 1888, opened the hill to residential development. University professors and early Sierra Club . . . — Map (db m54694) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of David Park’s StudioBerkeley History
In the 1940s painter David Park (1911-1960) had a studio in a brick building that once occupied this site. Despite a well-received exhibition of his abstract expressionist works at the San Francisco Museum of Art in 1948, Park rejected abstraction . . . — Map (db m52388) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Strand (Elmwood) TheaterAlbert W. Cornelius, Architect — 1914 —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1982 Built as the Strand Theater in the Art Nouveau architectural style, this was one of the neighborhood’s first commercial structures. Admission was ten cents for adults, five for children and the theater . . . — Map (db m54813) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — 22 — Studio Building 1905-06City of Berkeley Landmark No. 22 — National Register of Historic Places —
First home of the California College of Arts and Crafts — Map (db m52397) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Temple of WingsBernard Maybeck/A. Randolph Monroe, Architects; 1911 — Edna Deakin/Clarence Dakin, Architects; 1924 —
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1992 In one of Berkeley’s more eccentric experiments in living, Charles and Florence Boynton built their family residence as a version of a Greco-Roman temple with no walls. Two circular, open-air porches . . . — Map (db m53864) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Poetry GardenBerkeley Garden
This garden honors Berkeley’s many innovative poets, poetry presses and publications, and their creative legacy. It was dedicated in 1999 on the second anniversary of “Beat” poet Allen Ginsberg’s death. Through their writings, the . . . — Map (db m54191) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Shuman BlockMcDougall Brothers, Architects — 1906 —
Berkeley History Horse-drawn wagons once carried goods to the Berkeley Free Market housed here. In 1952 the structure was modernized to accommodate automobile showrooms, with artist studios above. Richard Diebenkorn, Elmer Biscoff, William . . . — Map (db m54333) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Tupper & Reed BuildingWilliam Raymond Yelland, Architect; 1925 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1984 John Tupper and Lawrence Reed constructed this building for their music store, which they had established in Berkeley in 1906. University of California art professor Eugen Neuhaus complimented them . . . — Map (db m54507) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Whittier SchoolDragon, Schmidts, Hardman and Officer, Associated Architects, 1939 — Chester Bowles, Jr. and Associates, 1994 —
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1984 This reinforced concrete Moderne-style building replaced an 1892 wood frame school. Faculty of the original school planted the five Coast Redwoods at the southwestern edge of the school grounds. The . . . — Map (db m54192) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Workingman’s Hall1879 — Berkeley History —
Originally located at Sixth and Delaware streets, this simple wooden building was constructed by volunteers from the Workingman’s Club, a west Berkeley political organization. Built as a reading room for laborers, it was used briefly as Berkeley’s . . . — Map (db m53836) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — 1025 — Honcharenko’s Sanctuary
Along the ridge behind this panel lies a 52-acre parcel of historical significance. This farmstead known as “Ukraina” was the home of Ukrainian patriot, writer, and publisher Father Agapius Honcharenko. He and his wife Albina lived here . . . — Map (db m26499) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — 1025 — Ukrania
“Ukraina” is the site of the farm and burial place of the Ukrainian patriot and exiled orthodox priest Agapius Honcharenko (1832-1916) and his wife Albina. Honcharenko was the first nationally conscious Ukrainian to arrive in the United . . . — Map (db m146447) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — A Haven for Artists
In the late 1800s, Joaquin Miller hosted gatherings of such notables as authors Jack London, Ambrose Bierce, Mark Twain, Bret Harte and Prentice Mulford; English humorist and playwright Tom Hood; illustrator/engraver Frank Leslie; poet Walt Whitman, . . . — Map (db m71761) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Heinolds’ First and Last Chance Saloon
Two plaques are placed on Heinold's First & Last Chance Saloon. above National Register of Historic Places Heinolds’ First and Last Chance Saloon in continuous operation on this site since 1883 and closely associated with . . . — Map (db m71296) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Jack London1876-1916
In 1886, ten year old Jack London traveled to Oakland with his family and led the rough and ready life of countless other working class lads of that era. Though he labored at menial jobs, the world of books captured his imagination at an early age . . . — Map (db m71230) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Jack LondonJanuary 12, 1876 – November 22, 1916
Oakland’s famed native son was the noted author of “The Call of the Wild”, “The Sea Wolf” and “South Sea Tales”. He was at various times a sailor, Alaskan gold miner, salmon fisher and longshoreman. For a . . . — Map (db m71295) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Jack London’s Cabin
In 1968 Russ Kingman, an area businessman with a passion for Jack London, headed an expedition to the Alaskan wilderness to authenticate a tiny cabin discovered in the woods on the north fork of Henderson Creek. The cabin was said to be the . . . — Map (db m71293) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 107 — Joaquin Miller"Poet of the Sierras”
Joaquin Miller, “Poet of the Sierras,” resided on these acres, named by him “The Hights,” from 1886 to 1913. In this building known as The Abbey, he wrote “Columbus” and other poems. The surrounding trees were . . . — Map (db m100546) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Joaquin Miller’s Abbey
The tiny cottage known as “The Abbey” was built by the 19th century poet and environmentalist Joaquin Miller as part of a inspirational artists’ retreat. He purchased 70 grassy acres, parcel-by-parcel, in “The Hights” above . . . — Map (db m71759) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Latham Memorial Fountain Unveiled
Edith Latham and her brother Milton had been gathering the memory of their parents in drawers, cabinets and living rooms until there was no longer space. Their need for a permanent storage site and longing to share the memories led them to imagine a . . . — Map (db m72711) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Seventh Street
Spine of West Oakland The elevated BART tracks are the latest link in Seventh Street's long history as the transportation spine of West Oakland. The street once led to the long Wharf and Mole on the western waterfront where the . . . — Map (db m92787) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — The Monument Loop: A Legacy
This 50-minute walk through the park features five rustic monuments. Four of them were hand-made by Joaquin Miller between 1892 and 1913. The walk is steep in places, but provides exhilarating views of the Bay and a visit to the Cascade. . . . — Map (db m71736) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — The Music They Played on 7th StreetOakland Walk of Fame — "The Harlem of the West Coast" —
Honoring the rich musical heritage of the Blues, Jazz and Gospel artists who played on 7th Street Come explore and learn about a glorious brea in Oakland's musical history! The music they played on 7th Street, Oakland Walk of Game pays . . . — Map (db m92754) HM
California (Alameda County), Piedmont — Eucalyptus AmphitheaterSummer Theater in the Park
“Loves Labor Lost,” a comedy by William Shakespeare, was the first play performed in the Eucalyptus Amphitheater in the spring of 1908. Set in a grove of trees for which it was named, the theater had a unique stage from which some of the . . . — Map (db m72377) HM
California (Alameda County), Piedmont — Piedmont Art GalleryWorld Class Art Museum in the Park
In May 1907, patrons of the arts from around the Bay Area descended on Piedmont Park for the opening of the Piedmont Art Gallery. On display were 375 oil, pastel and watercolor paintings in four separate galleries. Under the guidance of . . . — Map (db m72320) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — In Memoriam: The '49ers
They traveled here from family hearths throughout the world to mine Sierra’s treasures from the Golden Mother Lode. O’er claims where stood raw shacks and sailcloth tents the woodsmoke curled, while pick and shovel, pan and sluice marked where . . . — Map (db m42497) HM
California (Amador County), Pine Grove — Petroglyphs (Rock Carvings)
In addition to the bedrock mortars, over 363 petroglyph designs are carved into the surface of the marbleized outcropping of limestone. This association of rock art and grinding pits is unique in California. Except for one other small site, Chaw’se . . . — Map (db m71896) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Levaggi Opera House
The front building built in 1860. The opera house was built on back in 1892 by John and Michael Levaggi, early pioneers and stone masons from Italy. Bricks used were kilned east of Sutter Creek and hauled to the site by twelve mule team. Amapola . . . — Map (db m29814) HM
California (Butte County), Forbestown — Black Bart, the PO8
attacked La Port (sic) – Oroville stage here, July 13, 1888. Frank N. Morse, driver, was repulsed by George Hackett, armed messenger for Wells Fargo Express. Twenty eight stage hold-ups in California 1875-1883 are credited to Black Bart, lone . . . — Map (db m134505) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Oroville Carnegie LibraryBuilt 1912
has been placed on National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior In 1911, Andrew Carnegie, Scottish industrialist, businessman, and major philanthropist, endowed upon City of Oroville $10,000 for . . . — Map (db m17229) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — The American
Site of First Theater in Oroville The American (Seal of the American Revolution Bicentennial 1776-1976) — Map (db m65838) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — 287 — Angels CampHome of the Jumping Frog — Romance - Gold - History —
Founded in 1849 by George Angel, who established a mining camp and trading store 200 feet below this marker. A rich gravel mining area and one of the richest quartz mining sections of the Mother Lode. Production records of over $100 million for . . . — Map (db m14460) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — 734 — Angels Hotel
C.C. Lake erected here a canvas hotel in 1851. It was replaced by a one-story wooden structure, and then by one of stone in 1855, with second story being added in 1857. Here, Samuel Clemens first heard the yarn, which was later to bring him fame as . . . — Map (db m17664) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — James H. Carson
. . . — Map (db m7502) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — Mark Twain
. . . — Map (db m13006) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — William Gordon HuffE Clampus Vitus Wall of Comparative Ovations
William Gordon Huff 1903 ~ 1993 Sublime Nobel Grand Patriarch Grand Clamp Artist Visionary • Artist • Sculpture Bill conceived, named, and created E Clampus Vitus Wall of Comparative Ovations as a memorial to portray early . . . — Map (db m31195) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Art and Culture in the City
Arts and culture have always been a part of El Cerrito. The City's Arts and Culture Commission, the El Cerrito Arts Association, and many businesses and organizations throughout the City work to engage, promote and celebrate El Cerrito's thriving . . . — Map (db m94184) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — El Cerrito Public Library
With an inventory of fifty books, El Cerrito's first public library was opened in the local post office in 1913. It moved several times before expanding and relocating to Stockton Avenue in 1949, becoming the first postwar library built in the Bay . . . — Map (db m91361) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — El Cerrito's Music Scene
Both El Cerrito's and Richmond's populations quadrupled between 1941 and 1945 due to the massive influx of wartime shipyard workers. These workers brought new musical styles, such as blues, western swing and country. This musical melting pot . . . — Map (db m94129) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Master Craftsmen
Highly regarded French artisan plasterers, Joseph Laleux and Peter Allinio, both lived near here in the early 20th century. Individually, they worked on well-known projects as the Palace of Fine Arts, the Curran and Geary Theaters, and the original . . . — Map (db m94128) HM

5464 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 5264
Paid Advertisement
May. 31, 2020