Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Architecture Historical Markers

1578 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1378
 
City of Daphne Marker with City Hall in background. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, January 14, 2017
City of Daphne Marker with City Hall in background.
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — City of Daphne — Incorporated July 8, 1927
On Main Street at Manci Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
The City of Daphne was incorporated July 8, 1927 with a population of 500. its history, however, dates to a much earlier period. Research and artifacts show that Tensaw, Alabama, Choctaw, Creeks, and Seminole Indians all lived in the this area prior . . . — Map (db m100843) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmington — Vulcan Statue
On Valley View Drive.
When it was first proposed in 1905 that Vulcan be placed on Red Mountain, the time was not right for such a move. But by 1935 when the idea for Vulcan Park was proposed, iron ore mining had ceased here, the mineral railroad had been abandoned and . . . — Map (db m95335) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Aaron Gus Green
On South Cox Creek Parkway near River Heritage Park.
In 2001, Aaron Green, a Taliesin Fellow and a member of the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects, was awarded the very first Gold Medal by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation. — Map (db m109411) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Trinity — Boxwood Plantation
On Cooperage Way (County Route 700) at Alabama Route 20, on the right when traveling south on Cooperage Way.
(side 1) This small dwelling is the last reminder of "Boxwood" plantation, the home of the Elliot family, and later of the Nevilles. Built-in 1854 of slave-made brick and occupied by the household servants it is one of the few brick . . . — Map (db m114719) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Faces of Market Street
On Market Street east of North Marion Street, on the right when traveling west.
From the 1850s to the 1970s, the Louisville & Nashville Depot was located between Market and Washington streets. The building has been used as a dress ship, a photographer's studio, and in 2004 was remodeled for the Limestone County Archives. . . . — Map (db m93878) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Athens — Scenes From Hobbs & Market Streets
On North Marion Strret south of Hobbs Street, on the left when traveling north.
The First Baptist Church, organized in 1824, built a meeting house in 1826. A brick structure was erected in 1831 but was replaced with the above building in 1909. This church located on the north west corner of Clinton and Hobbs streets, was later . . . — Map (db m93883) HM
Alabama (Limestone County), Tanner — Gamble House
On Huntsville Brownsferry Road (County Route 24) 0.7 miles east of Interstate 65, on the left when traveling east.
One of the oldest brick houses in the country. It was built, circa 1822-28, by Wm. Parham for Joseph Johnston, the original landowner. It displays both Georgian and Federal influences in its style and details. A molded brick water table and . . . — Map (db m117805) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — 119 Westside Street — Historic Tuskegee
On Westside Street south of West Northside Street, on the right when traveling south.
This two-story brick structure, built in 1870, is an example of the Italianate Style. Many of these buildings no longer exist, being replaced by later growth in downtown districts. The Italianate Style is distinguished by the large upper story . . . — Map (db m100193) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — Macon County Legal Milestone
On East Rosa Parks Avenue at Eastside Street, on the left when traveling east on East Rosa Parks Avenue.
Front Macon County was created by the Alabama Legislature on December 18, 1832 and formed out of land formerly belonging to the Creek Indians. The County was named for Nathaniel Macon, a Revolutionary War soldier and long-serving . . . — Map (db m99677) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Campus Architect — Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site
Near University Avenue 0.2 miles east of Booker T. Washington Boulevard.
. . . I should consider it a far-reaching calamity for us to lose Mr. Taylor at Tuskegee. —Booker T. Washington Look at the buildings around the main quadrangle. Much of what you see is the work of Robert R. Taylor, . . . — Map (db m101929) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Lowell M. Anderson — Father of Monte Sano Club
On Georgetta Drive 0.2 miles east of Monte Sano Blvd SE, on the right when traveling north.
(side A) He proposed this pool to the residents, found the site, raised funds and crews, and put both to work. He trained residents of all ages and professions to operate bulldozers, bend and tie rebar, pour concrete, and plumb a pool. . . . — Map (db m108684) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 14 — Dave Patton — (1879-1927)
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue at Hickory Street, on the right when traveling west on Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue.
Patton began his hauling business with two mules and grew to become a prominent real estate entrepreneur and contractor, building many area roads and schools. Patton purchased this site in 1900. According to oral tradition, he commissioned architect . . . — Map (db m111313) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Home of Joe Cain — Alabama Bicentennial 1819-2019
On Augusta Street west of South Broad Street, on the right when traveling west.
Joseph Stillwell Cain Jr., recognized today as the patron saint of Mardi Gras in Mobile, purchased this plot of land in 1859 for $500, along with his wife of more than three years, Elizabeth Rabby Cain. The couple built a four-room classic revival . . . — Map (db m111285) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 30 — National African-American Archives and Museum
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue west of North Lawrence Street, on the right when traveling west.
George B. Rogers, a prominent architect, designed this smaller replica of the main library in 1931. It is a classically inspired white structure with linear lines. It was the only library for blacks until desegregation in the mid-1960s. Today it is . . . — Map (db m111308) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Second Fort Conde Ruin
On Church Street west of South Royal Street, on the right when traveling west.
. . . — Map (db m117253) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Springhill Avenue Temple Congregation — Sha'Arai Shomayim Umaskil El Dol — (The Gates of Heaven and the Society of the Friends of the Needy)
On Springhill Avenue east of Silverwood Street, on the right when traveling east.
Organized in Mobile on January 29, 1844, this Reform Jewish Congregation is the oldest in Alabama and one of the oldest in the United States. Members met in homes until December 27, 1846, when the St. Emanuel Street Temple was dedicated. The . . . — Map (db m111291) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Decorative Lions Heads — 1907-1978 — Presented to Montgomery by First Alabama Bank of Montgomery, N.A.
On Commerce Street at Dexter Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Commerce Street.
These decorative terra cotta lions heads, typical of the ornamentation used in commercial style architecture in the early part of the 20th century, were utilized by the First National Bank of Montgomery on the cornice of their 12 story building from . . . — Map (db m36646) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Historic Downtown/Founders Park
On Bank Street NE at Church Street NE on Bank Street NE.
Public Buildings 1. Public City Hall 2. Decatur Police Station 3. Decatur/Morgan Co. Chamber of Comm. 4. Decatur Public Library 5. Federal Bldg./Post Office 6. Morgan County Archives 7. Morgan County Courthouse 8. Morgan . . . — Map (db m103228) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Old Decatur Historic District/Historic Depot
On Railroad Street NW at Vine Street NW, on the left when traveling north on Railroad Street NW.
The Old Decatur Historic District dates Back to the town's settlement in 1817; at that time it was called Rhodes Ferry Landing after Dr. Henry W. Rhodes, an early landowner who operated a ferry across the Tennessee River. In 1820, President . . . — Map (db m103229) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Old Decatur Historic District/Old State Bank
On Bank Street NE at Church Street NE on Bank Street NE.
The Old Decatur Historic District dates Back to the Town's settlement in 1817; at that time it was called Rhodes Ferry Landing after Dr. Henry W. Rhodes, an early landowner who operated a ferry across the Tennessee River. In 1820, President . . . — Map (db m103225) HM WM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — First United Methodist Church
On North Three Notch Street (U.S. 29) at East Walnut Street, on the left when traveling south on North Three Notch Street.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Troy was organized in 1843. The first building was constructed in 1858, on land donated by Ann Dowdell Love, affectionately known as "Granny Love." The second structure was erected in 1888. The present edifice, . . . — Map (db m36518) HM
Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — Emmons House — Historic Sitka Alaska
On Lincoln Street at Baranof Street, on the right when traveling west on Lincoln Street.
Captain George Foster Emmons (1811-1884), commander of the USS Ossipee, sailed into the Sitka harbor with United States and Russian Commissioners for the ceremony transferring the Alaskan territory to the United States on 18 October . . . — Map (db m118712) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon — Grand Canyon Village
A rich architectural history awaits as you explore Grand Canyon Village. Eclectic in nature, the village is a mix of early pioneer, Santa Fe Railroad, and National Park Service structures. Entrepreneurial-pioneers started building here in the early . . . — Map (db m95934) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Jacob Lake — Jacob Lake Ranger Station
On Forest Road 282 0.2 miles south of Forest Road 461, on the left when traveling south.
Built in 1910 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m94918) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — 19 — Chapel of the Holy Cross, 1956 — City of Sedona Landmark No. 19
It took decades of searching for a perfect location before Marguerite Brunswig Staude's inspiring modern Catholic church could be built. The Chapel of the Holy Cross is an extraordinary architectural achievement, designed by architects Anshen & . . . — Map (db m94811) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Sedona — Hart Pump House
A designated Sedona Historic Landmark built in 1932 by the Civilian Conservation Corps — Map (db m94814) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Duppa Homestead
On West Sherman Street, on the right when traveling west.
Darrell Duppa explored Arizona four years before coming here with Jack Swilling's party, pioneers whose irrigation canal first opened the Salt River Valley to farming in 1868. A well-traveled Englishman and a scholar of the classics, "Lord" Duppa is . . . — Map (db m113927) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Emma Monk Guild House
On North Willow Street, on the right when traveling north.
Emma Monk came to Arizona Territory to teach school at Fort Thomas in the 1880s. She married William Guild in 1887 and taught school in Florence off and on from 1885 to 1897 and was the first Florence principal. She also taught in Red Rock, Casa . . . — Map (db m68337) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Democratic Architecture / Usonian Characteristics

The word "Usonian" was derived from an abbreviation of "United States of North America." Frank Lloyd Wright embraced this term as the name for a distinct American and democratic style of residential architecture he developed during the Great . . . — Map (db m108874) HM

Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Lakeport Plantation House
Near State Highway 142 0.9 miles from Robert Mazzanti Road (Parish Road 505).
Side 1 The Lakeport Plantation house was constructed circa 1859 for Lycurgus and Lydia Taylor Johnson. The skilled craftsmanship and lasting character are testaments to those who built the house. It is preserved in remembrance of all who . . . — Map (db m90491) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Magnolia — Columbia County Courthouse
On South Court Square at South Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling east on South Court Square.
Third courthouse on this site. Bid for construction of a new courthouse was let in 1905 for $58,631. Designed by W.S. Hull and built of blond brick with stone detailing, it is considered an example of second renaissance revival architecture. . . . — Map (db m121341) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 122
On Central Avenue (State Highway 7), on the right when traveling south.
Constructed 1891 in as dry goods and grocery store until 1915. Utah Apts above and restaurant below. Became the Apple Apts and Dixie Coffee Shop in 1840's. Recently was Magnolia Gift and Night Train Lounge. Remodeled apartments 1992. Wheatley . . . — Map (db m102704) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 126
On Central Avenue (State Highway 7), on the right when traveling south.
Constructed in 1891 as a clothing store by Simon Meyer, one of the most successful merchants in the late 1890's. In 1923 Rosa Meyer opened a dry goods store and later the Walkowitz General Store. Most recently the Oyster Bar restaurant. Wheatly . . . — Map (db m102708) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — 201 — The Howe Hotel
On Central Avenue (State Highway 7) at Canyon Court, on the left when traveling south on Central Avenue.
. . . — Map (db m102563) HM
Arkansas (Pope County), Pottsville — Potts Inn
On East Ash Street at 2nd Street, on the left when traveling west on East Ash Street.
Kirkbride Potts, with help from his wife Pamelia Logan Potts, designed and constructed this large and stately building between 1850 and 1858. He patterned it after the Classical Revival style he knew in his home state of Pennsylvania; however, he . . . — Map (db m120871) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Alexander George House
Near East 3rd Street at Dean Kumpuris Street, on the left when traveling east.
Near this spot stood the substantial brick home of Alexander George (1812-1877), a wealthy German immigrant active in Little Rock's business, civic, social and political circles. Built during the 1858 to 1859 period, the George House with its . . . — Map (db m121455) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Geyer & Adams Building — (1914)
On President Clinton Avenue just west of S. Rock Street, on the right when traveling east.
In 1904, John E. Geyer and his business partner John D. Adams moved their wholesale grocery business into a building located on this site. The partners replaced that building with this structure, designed by Charles Thompson, in 1914. The Geyer and . . . — Map (db m102091) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Porbeck & Bowman Building — (1882)
On President Clinton Avenue just west of River Market Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
Max Hilb and William Probst built this structure, designed by Joseph Willis, in 1882 for Probst & Hilb Liquor Company. The upper floor contained a two-story space that housed Concordia Hall, a Jewish social club. F. M. Fletcher and T.J. McCarthy . . . — Map (db m102056) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Tuf-Nut Lofts
On East 3rd Street at River Market Avenue, on the left when traveling west on East 3rd Street.
This property operated as horse stable in the late 19th century followed by the construction of single family dwellings. The primary user of the property during the 20th century was the Tuf-Nut Garment Manufacturing Company. Founded by James D. . . . — Map (db m102093) HM
California (Alameda County), Alameda — GPY-140-02 — Clark Memorial Bench — My Dumb Friends Bench
On Park Avenue.
Donated to the city of Alameda in 1920 by Park Avenue resident Isabella Derby Clark, this concrete bench was designed by Myrtle Maillot. Mrs. Clark was a proponent of animal welfare. The inscription "In memory of my dumb friends" is a reference to . . . — Map (db m101553) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Food & Ships
On 3rd Street near Linden Street, on the right.
Oakland Canneries By the early 20th century, harbor improvements, expanded port facilities, and transcontinental rail service had made Oakland one of the state's leading exporters of processed food of all kinds: canned, dried, bottled, . . . — Map (db m92788) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — "Old Borges Ranch"
Near Castle Road Road near Comistas Drive.
Walnut Creek's Old Borges Ranchhouse, as the cornerstone of a working cattle ranch, was first built by Frank (Francisco) and his wife Mary Borges, their sons and daughters in 1899. Since then, this house has withstood five generations of the hard . . . — Map (db m93983) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — First Baptist Church
On Truxton Street near L Street, on the right when traveling west.
The First Baptist Church was completed under the supervision of local architect Charles H. Biggar (1882 - 1946) in 1932. The building, designed in the Northern Italian Romanesque architectural style, is described in the National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m117418) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — First Presbyterian Church
On 17th Street at H Street, on the left when traveling west on 17th Street.
In 1889, First Presbyterian Church began its ministry in Kern County as Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In 1905 the church merged with Westminster Presbyterian; being renamed First Presbyterian Church of Bakersfield. The church acquired property on . . . — Map (db m117142) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Haberfelde Building
On Chester Avenue near 17th Street, on the right when traveling north.
George Haberfelde (1871 - 1962), a civic and business leader in the community, contracted with local architect Charles H. Biggar (1882 - 1946) to construct this five-story office and retail building in the Sullivanesque architectural style. When . . . — Map (db m116966) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Hayden Building
On 19th Street, on the right when traveling west.
The Hayden Building is a classic example of Second Renaissance Revival architectural style. It was designed for the Kern County Land Company by San Francisco architect Charles I. Haven (1849-1916) and opened in 1904 as the Hayden Furniture Company. . . . — Map (db m117419) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Kress Building
On 19th Street, on the right when traveling west.
S.H. Kress & Co. was the trading name of a national chain of "five and dime" retail department stores operating from 1896 to 1981. Opening in 1931, this three-story reinforced steel and masonry building was designed by New York City-based architect . . . — Map (db m115124) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — United States Post Office
On 18th St., on the right when traveling west.
In 1924, Bakersfield was the twenty-first city in California to receive a Federal Post Office Building. Built at a cost of $130,000, the Mission architecture style building, constructed of masonry and concrete and reinforced with steel, was the . . . — Map (db m122018) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Angelino Heights — Carroll Avenue — 1300 Block
On Carroll Avenue east of Douglas Street, on the right when traveling east.
A street of houses designed in the Eastlake and Queen Anne styles of the late 19th century, exhibiting the finest collection of Victorian domestic architecture remaining in Los Angeles. From their vantage point on Angelino Heights, these houses have . . . — Map (db m120038) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — 367 — Queen Anne Cottage
Near Baldwin Avenue 0.3 miles south of U.S. 210, on the right when traveling south.
Constructed by Elias Jackson ('Lucky') Baldwin in 1881. Designed by A.A. Bennett, and intended for entertaining. There being no kitchen, meals were served from the nearby adobe (built by Hugo Reid in 1839) where Baldwin actually lived. Restored and . . . — Map (db m120308) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — Santa Anita Depot
Near Baldwin Avenue 0.3 miles south of U.S. 210, on the right when traveling south.
Constructed about 1890 in Rancho Santa Anita by Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad on its transcontinental main line. Elias J. “Lucky” Baldwin donated right-of-way and bricks in exchange for agreement to stop trains, maintain a depot . . . — Map (db m120309) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Bell Gardens — 984 — Casa de Rancho San Antonio — Henry Gage Mansion
Near Gage Avenue 0.7 miles west of U.S. 5.
Contained within this building are the remaining portions of an adobe house built by Francisco Salvador Lugo and his son Antonio Marνa Lugo. Francisco Lugo was a prominent early landholder and Antonio served as the Alcalde of Los Angeles. They . . . — Map (db m125567) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — Canoga Park Fire Station #72
On Owensmouth Avenue 0.1 miles north of Sherman Way, on the right when traveling north.
Built in 1931 and vacated in 1978 due to earthquake damage. Became the home of the Canoga Park Chamber of Commerce 1982. Dedicated as the Canoga Park Community Center 10/26/1986. Dedication of the Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Museum in part of the . . . — Map (db m124827) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 182 — Ivy Substation — Media Park
On Venice Boulevard at Culver Boulevard, on the right when traveling east on Venice Boulevard.
The Ivy Substation, named for the land development where it is located, was built in 1907 by the Los Angeles Pacific Railway. It is one of the largest electric substations along the “Balloon Route” rail line from downtown Los Angeles to . . . — Map (db m121986) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendora — Rubel Castle — Historic District
On North Live Oak Avenue at East Palm Drive, on the right when traveling north on North Live Oak Avenue.
Built by Michael Clarke Rubel and hundreds of volunteers, 1968 to 1986, from local river rock and salvaged materials. This property has been listed in The National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior in . . . — Map (db m123040) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 554 — Hollywood’s First Major Film Company Studio
Near North Highland Avenue south of California Route 101, on the left when traveling south.
One-half of this structure, then in use as a barn, was rented by Cecil B. DeMille as the studio in which was made the first feature-length motion picture in Hollywood, “The Squaw Man”, in 1913. It was originally located at the corner of . . . — Map (db m118836) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — The Jergins Trust Building — 1919 - 1988
On West 7th Street west of Main Avenue, on the right.
Designed by architect Harvey Lochridge for Fred Markwell in 1914, but not constructred until 1919, the Jergins Building was originally named after Markwell. Built in the Beaux-Arts style, the six story structure contained a theater and offices. In . . . — Map (db m94328) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Bradbury Building
On South Broadway near West 3rd Street, on the left when traveling south.
Mining Tycoon L. Bradbury Makes His Mark His name endures in the eponymous town of wealth and horseflesh set against the San Gabriel Mountains, but mining tycoon Louis Bradbury made his loveliest mark on Southern California with the . . . — Map (db m121036) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 40 — Hale House, Circa 1887 — Heritage Square
Near Homer Street 0.5 miles south of Avenue 43.
A superb example of the Queen Anne - Eastlake Style. Restored through the devotion of thousands of admirers. — Map (db m117173) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 960 — Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
On South Figueroa Street.
This stadium was originally completed in 1923. It was partially redesigned and enlarged for the 1932 Olympic Games. Both designs were by architects John & Donald B. Parkinson. The Coliseum has witnessed many important sports, political, and . . . — Map (db m116751) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal — 1939-1989
Near North Alameda Street 0.2 miles south of Cesar Chavez Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
Constructed by the Southern Pacific, Santa Fe and Union Pacific Railroads, opened on May 7, 1939. It was considered to be the most impressive railroad station of its type in the entire west. In it's heyday the terminal covered 52 acres, . . . — Map (db m119212) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Mulholland Drive Bridge
On Mulholland Drive at Skirball Center Drive, on the right when traveling west on Mulholland Drive.
In 2012 this bridge replaced the historic Mulholland Drive overcrossing that was demolished to accommodate the widening of the San Diego Freeway (I-405). Built in 1959, the original bridge was determined eligible for listing on the National Register . . . — Map (db m125489) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Neutra Studio and Residences
On Silver Lake Boulevard 0.2 miles south of Glendale Boulevard, on the left when traveling south.
Neutra Studio and Residences has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This property possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. The Neutra VDL Demonstration . . . — Map (db m120934) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Oviatt Building
On South Olive Street south of 6th Street, on the right when traveling south.
Paris Exposition Like the jewel-box that it is, the Oviatt Building husbands its treasures within its walls… yet even casual passerby can get a hint of the gorgeousness inside, from just a glimpse of the nymph-crowned gates, of the overhead . . . — Map (db m121034) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 56 — Southwestern Law School — Bullocks Wilshire
On Wilshire Boulevard at Westmoreland Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Wilshire Boulevard.
Los Angeles in the Art Deco Age Los Angeles leapt into the modern era on September 26, 1929. At nine o'clock that morning, the doors of Bullock's Wilshire opened to gasps of amazement. Here was the first department store in the country to be . . . — Map (db m120962) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Spring Street
On South Spring Street south of 3rd Street, on the right when traveling south.
Spring Street In Northern California, they panned gold in the mountain canyons. In Southern California, they made gold, in the concrete canyons of Spring Street.Map (db m121038) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 65 — Valley Knudsen Garden Residence — Heritage Square
Near Homer Street 0.5 miles south of Avenue 43.
A 19th Century Mansard Style "Petite Chateau" - A gracious reminder of French influence in Los Angeles. — Map (db m117244) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Fray Fermin Francisco de Lasuen, O.F.M. — (1736-1803)
Near San Fernando Mission Blvd near Columbus Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Born in Victoria, Spain - 1736. Joined the Franciscan Order in 1751. Sent to the College of San Fernando in Mexico City in 1759. Labored in Mexico and Baja, California until 1775. Spent 10 years at Mission San Diego. Selected 2nd Presidente . . . — Map (db m101198) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Redondo Beach — 5 — The Plunge and ... The Lightning Racer
On Portofino Way, on the right.
As the 1890s evolved into the Roaring '20s, people came by train, Red Car or Model T to enjoy Redondo Beach's advertised "clean water" at The Plunge and to experience the thrill of riding the Lightning Racer roller Coaster. The Moorish . . . — Map (db m93437) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Marino — The Millstones
Near Old Mill Road 0.2 miles east of S Oak Knoll Ave, on the left when traveling east.
Originally located in the upper story of El Molino Viejo, these volcanic tufa millstones ground grain for the indian community of Mission San Gabriel. The stones were turned by water flowing from nearby canyons. When the mill fell into disuse, the . . . — Map (db m114249) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Ocean Park Branch Library — Santa Monica Landmark
On Main Street at Ocean Park Boulevard, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
The Ocean Park Branch Library was built as a gift of the Carnegie Foundation in 1918 on land donated by the Tegner family. The design is a simplified variation of Greek Revival architecture. Although small Carnegie Libraries were once found in towns . . . — Map (db m119662) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Roy Jones House
Near Main Street at Ocean Park Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
Built in 1894 for the civic leader Roy Jones. Designed by Sumner P. Hunt, later recognized as an outstanding Southern California architect. This residence is one of Santa Monica’s earliest examples of American Colonial Revival style. It was moved to . . . — Map (db m119671) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Shotgun House — Santa Monica Landmark
On Second Street at Norman Place, on the right when traveling south on Second Street.
This extremely narrow cottage, built sometime between 1895 and 1902, remained unaltered for over one hundred years. One room wide and four rooms deep, with no connecting hallway, it displays the defining characteristics of a "shotgun house,” . . . — Map (db m119666) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Tujunga — 2 — Bolton Hall
On Commerce Avenue at Valmont Street, on the right when traveling north on Commerce Avenue.
. . . — Map (db m116936) HM
California (Placer County), Soda Springs — 6 — Rainbow Lodge
On Hampshire Rocks Road at Rainbow Road, on the right when traveling east on Hampshire Rocks Road.
History Rainbow Tavern, as it was known, was built in 1927 by Herstle Jones who also built Nyack Lodge. He was the brother of Oscar Jones who built the Soda Springs Hotel. Rainbow Lodge served as a way spot for summer travelers over the . . . — Map (db m95575) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — San Bernardino Santa Fe Depot
On West 3rd Street west of K Street, on the right when traveling west.
Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe railway built San Bernardino‘s first permanent train depot in 1886 to meet the growing number of rail passengers and to house its Los Angeles division administrative and freight offices. This two-and-a-half-story wooden . . . — Map (db m124518) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — J.D. & A.B. Spreckels Building
On Orange Avenue at Loma Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Orange Avenue.
Coronado Historical Landmark Built 1917 J.D. & A.B. Spreckels Dedicated 1974 — Map (db m117482) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — Mann House - 1926 — Coronado Historical Landmark
On Loma Avenue at Star Park Circle, on the right when traveling west on Loma Avenue.
Coronado Historical Landmark Mann House - 1926 Dedicated 1981 — Map (db m117506) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Bernard Maybeck (1862-1957) — American Master
Near Bay Street near Palace Drive, on the right when traveling south.
Walk through the grounds of the Palace of Fine Arts and notice how vistas change before your eyes. As vegetation frames and softens the lines of the architecture, the architecture in turn becomes a picture frame, highlighting views of the lush . . . — Map (db m102290) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Palace Lagoon — From Water-Filled Bog to Landmark
On Bay Street near Palace Drive, on the right when traveling west.
The lagoon fronting the Palace of Fine Arts is a relic of San Francisco's early landscape. It was once part of a slough on a tidal wetland stretching from present-day Divisadero Street well into the Presidio. Salt water from the San Francisco Bay . . . — Map (db m102286) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Nipomo — 1033 — Rancho Nipomo — Captain William G. Dana Rancho
Rancho Nipomo, almost 38,000 acres in size, was granted to Boston sea captain William Goodwin Dana, in 1837. The rancho for many years was the first stopping place on El Camino Real south of Mission San Luis Obispo. From 1839 until Dana's death in . . . — Map (db m102642) HM
California (San Mateo County), Half Moon Bay — Zaballa House
On Main Street north of Mill Street, on the left when traveling north.
After gold was discovered, the thousands who came to California began to build cities and towns. Today's Half Moon Bay grew upon the Mexican land grant awarded to Mexican soldier Candelario Miramontes. In 1853 Estanislao Zaballa came from Spain . . . — Map (db m102405) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Goleta — Hope House
Near Nogal Drive.
Built in 1875 by Thomas Hope of Ireland, the house was headquarters for the 4500-acre sheep ranch. The house, which was designed by Peter Barber, was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. George Obern in 1967 and restored to near original condition. — Map (db m106424) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Hotel Virginia
On West Haley Street at Fig Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Haley Street.
The Hotel Virginia at 17 West Haley Street was originally built in 1916 as a two-story brick hotel by Charles Maas, with a third story addition in 1925. Haley at this time was a residential street with small redwood homes set on large lots. The . . . — Map (db m106957) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — The Oreρa Adobe — 1849
On East de la Guerra Street at Anacapa Street on East de la Guerra Street.
Constructed in 1849 by Don Josι de la Guerra, this adobe was originally used to house supplies brought in from ships anchored in the harbor. Don Gaspar Oreρa bought the adobe and added the story-and-a-half portion in 1858, shortly after his . . . — Map (db m106881) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — J. Pearce Mitchell Park
Near East Meadow Drive near Middlefield Road, on the right when traveling east.
J. Pearce Mitchell Park, built in 1957, was one of the first of a new type of community park based on active recreation for leisure living. The design for this park and its playground served as important examples for many other parks and playgrounds . . . — Map (db m92467) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 32 — San Jose Woman's Club
On South 11th Street, on the right when traveling south.
In December 1894, nine women met to form the San Jose Woman's Club . Supporting temperance and suffrage, the members also promoted education, community improvements and the arts. The club was opened to women of all creeds and nationalities. Today, . . . — Map (db m108410) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — Santa Cruz Hall of Records 1882 / Salσn de archivos de Santa Cruz 1882
On Cooper Street at Front Street, on the right when traveling west on Cooper Street.
English text: The Octagon is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Santa Cruz. Architect John Wesley Newcum modeled the building after a $50 octagonal shaped gold piece first minted in San Francisco in 1851. The building, made . . . — Map (db m126026) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — Horse Power and Manure — Were Put to Work on London's Beauty Ranch
Near London Ranch Road.
In the early 1900's, horses were still the main source of power on farms and ranches. They were used for riding, pulling cars, wagons and other heavy farm equipment. Though he owned about 50 horses, Jack London most prized the beautiful and . . . — Map (db m102556) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — Jack London experimented — by growing spineless cactus for livestock feed
Near London Ranch Road.
Jack London saw fine, fat cattle in Hawaii living well on spined cactus and wanted to duplicate the success of Hawaiian ranchers. He planted this field with Spineless Prickly Pear Cactus, Opuntia avalon, developed by renowned horticulturalist . . . — Map (db m102536) HM
California (Sonoma County), Guerneville — Bank of Guerneville
On River Road at Church Street, on the right when traveling west on River Road.
This beautiful Beaux Arts Building was designed by Carl Ingomar Warnecke of the architectural firm Miller and Warnecke in 1921. The Bay Area firm designed residential work, apartment buildings, schools, commercial and civic structures. Mr. . . . — Map (db m99576) HM
California (Ventura County), Ojai — 5 — The Ojai Arcade
Near East Ojai Avenue south of South Signal Street, on the left when traveling east.
The Arcade was the inspiration of winter resident Edward Drummond Libbey of Libbey Glass in Ohio. He hired the architectural firm of Mead and Requa to design the arcade. Robert Winfield was the contractor. Libbey asked merchants to contribute $10 . . . — Map (db m117492) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — 17 — The Oxnard Pagoda
On South C Street near 5th Street, on the left when traveling south.
The pagoda was built in 1910 to house the pump which supplied water for irrigating the park. It was designed by architect Alfred J. Priest and built by Thomas H. Carroll, contractor. In 1911 the roof was raised to provide room for the band platform. . . . — Map (db m120957) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 847 — Old County Court House
On Poli Street at North California Street, on the right when traveling west on Poli Street.
This imposing building was designed by Albert C. Martin and built in 1912 as the Ventura County Court House. It is an outstanding example of neo-classic architecture, considered the proper style for public buildings of the early 20th century. The . . . — Map (db m124508) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Lafayette — 5 — Padfield House — 206 East Simpson Street — Historic Lafayette Walking Tour
On East Simpson Street east of South Harrison Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
This home has the original gingerbread intact. — Map (db m120693) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Barteldes, Hartig Building — 1906 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour
On 16th Street at Wynkoop Street, on the right when traveling north on 16th Street.
For more than a century, Denver's warehouse district has centered on Wynkoop. Stimulated by the arrival of the railroads in 1870 and the subsequent need for distribution services, an impressive array of three-to-five story warehouses, flat roofed . . . — Map (db m97395) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Manny's Bridge
On Wynkoop Street 0.1 miles west of 15th Street, on the left when traveling west.
This bridge symbolizes the revitalization of lower downtown Denver in the late twentieth century and represents one of the many contributions made to our community by Emanuel "Manny" Salzman. After moving to LoDo in 1980, Manny and his wife, Joanne, . . . — Map (db m97412) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Merchandise Mart — 1930 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour
On Wazee Street at 19th Street, on the right when traveling north on Wazee Street.
Built in 1930-31 as a multi-tenant warehouse, 1863 Wazee Street is representative of the final building period in Lower Downtown until the boom of the 1980's. Architect Montana Fallis used the modernistic style to establish this building as Denver's . . . — Map (db m97348) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Spratlen-Anderson Building — 1906 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour
On 15th Street at Wynkoop Street, on the right when traveling south on 15th Street.
On the original site of the Washington Hotel and Studebaker Buggy and Carriage House, this building was constructed in 1906 as a four-story warehouse for the Spratlen-Anderson Mercantile Co. Frank Edbrooke designed the original structure, as well as . . . — Map (db m97415) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — The Edbrooke Lofts
On Wynkoop Street at 15th Street, on the right when traveling north on Wynkoop Street.
This site has been home to: 1880 • The Washington Hotel 1896 • Studebaker Buggy & Carriage Works 1902 • The Spratlen-Anderson Wholesale Grocery Company 1923 • Davis Brothers Drug Company 1957 • Lande Manufacturing 1990 • Edbrooke . . . — Map (db m97417) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Warehouses — Lower Downtown Historic District — Established 1988
On Wynkoop Street south of 18th Street, on the right when traveling north.
Denver grew from its humble beginnings along the banks of Cherry Creek in the 1860’s, to a well-organized and prosperous city by the turn of the century. The “rail-age” of Denver’s history brought tremendous growth and turned thought . . . — Map (db m118595) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Windsor Farm Dairy Building / The Crocker Cracker Factory — Lower Downtown Walking Tour
On Blake Street at 19th Street, on the left when traveling west on Blake Street.
Windsor Farm Dairy Building 1918 A building with a milky past, the Windsor Farm Dairy was built in 1918 for $30.000. A leading Denver architectural firm, Fisher & Fisher, designed this red brick structure with terra cotta . . . — Map (db m97358) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Citizens National Bank Building — 1913
On Grand Avenue (Colorado Route 82) at 8th Street, on the right when traveling south on Grand Avenue.
The Citizens National Bank Building stands as Glenwood Springs landmark. The Citizens Building and Improvement Company was founded in 1910. Construction of the Citizens National Bank Building began in January, 1913. The building was completed . . . — Map (db m120085) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 2 — Grand Junction Elks Lodge #575 — c. 1900
On South 4th Street at Ute Avenue (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling south on South 4th Street.
Lodge #575 was founded in 1900 by local drug clerk, 32-year-old J. Morrison Wohlfort. Before the present Lodge home was built, the founding Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks met in the I.O.O.F Hall at 454 Main Street. Lodge #575 was . . . — Map (db m120078) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
On East Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120137) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
On East Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120138) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
On East Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120141) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
On East Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120142) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
On North Rio Grande Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120144) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
On West Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120146) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
On South First Street at South Uncompahgre Avenue, on the left when traveling north on South First Street.
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120147) HM
Colorado (Summit County), Frisco — Stone Huts
Near County Road 1220 near Interstate 70, on the right when traveling north.
These stone structures appear to be the remains of historic labor camps. Occupied during the late 19th Century, they were used as temporary dwellings by immigrant workers completing railroad construction in Ten Mile Canyon. The architecture of . . . — Map (db m120009) HM
Colorado (Weld County), Ault — Weld County Irrigation / Ault Country
On CanAm Highway (U.S. 85) at 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north on CanAm Highway.
Weld County Irrigation Here is a land where life is written in water. – Thomas Hornsby Ferril Hard-pressed to turn crusty sod into fertile soil, northern Colorado's earliest farmers devised an . . . — Map (db m120216) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Barkhamsted — Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village Cellar Holes — A Connecticut State Archaeological Preserve
Near East River Road 1.7 miles south of Connecticut Route 20.
About a dozen cellar holes dot the hillside of Ragged Mountain. Some, like the one before you, are clearly marked with foundations made of stone quarried from nearby bedrock, similar to the stone located directly behind this . . . — Map (db m112227) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Mystic — Brustolon House
On Greenmanville Avenue (Connecticut Route 27) south of Bruggeman Place, on the right when traveling south.
This building was built about 1863 as the George Greenman & Co. store. The store, which sold produce and other goods to the shipyard and mill employees and nearby families until the 1880s, was located on the first floor, with living quarters for . . . — Map (db m114846) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Mystic — Clark Greenman House
On Greenmanville Avenue (Connecticut Route 27) south of Hinckley Street, on the right when traveling south.
This house was built in 1841 for Clark and Harriet Greenman. Clark was the second oldest of the three brothers who founded the George Greenman & Co. Shipyard. The oldest brother, George, built the house on your left in 1839. The youngest . . . — Map (db m114826) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Mystic — Constantine House
On Greenmanville Avenue (Connecticut Route 27) at Bruggeman Place, on the right when traveling south on Greenmanville Avenue.
We believe this house was built in the 1840s. George Greenman & Co. rented its two apartments to employees of the company's shipyard and textile mill. In the 1850s and 1860s it was occupied by the widow of a mill employee and the minister of the . . . — Map (db m114845) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Mystic — George Greenman House
On Greenmanville Avenue (Connecticut Route 27) at Rossie Street, on the right when traveling south on Greenmanville Avenue.
This house was built in 1839 for George and Abigail Greenman. He was the oldest of the three brothers who founded the George Greenman & Co. Shipyard. The three brothers lived here until Clark Greenman built his house next door on your right in . . . — Map (db m114829) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Mystic — Langworthy House
On Greenmanville Avenue (Connecticut Route 27) south of Rossie Street, on the right when traveling south.
Part of this house was standing when brothers George, Clark, and Thomas Greenman purchased the surrounding land in 1837 and founded the George Greenman & Co. Shipyard. They lived here until George Greenman built the house on your right in 1839. . . . — Map (db m114834) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Mystic — Lewis House
On Greenmanville Avenue (Connecticut Route 27) south of Bruggeman Place, on the right when traveling south.
This house was built about 1841 by Welcome B. Lewis (1810-1880), a ship carpenter who often worked at the George Greenman & Co. Shipyard. Originally sided with clapboards and painted white, the house was built in the Greek Revival style then . . . — Map (db m114847) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Mystic — Thomas S. Greenman House
On Greenmanville Avenue (Connecticut Route 27) at Hinckley Street, on the right when traveling south on Greenmanville Avenue.
This house was built in 1842 for Thomas and Charlotte Greenman. Thomas was the youngest of the three brothers who founded the George Greenman & Co. Shipyard. The oldest brother, George, built the house two doors to your left in 1839. The middle . . . — Map (db m114807) HM
Connecticut (New London County), Mystic — William Haynes House
On Greenmanville Avenue (Connecticut Route 27) north of Bruggeman Place, on the right when traveling south.
This house was built in the early 1850s by William Haynes (1820-1905), a ship carpenter who often worked at the George Greenman & Co. Shipyard. The small room on the left side is a later addition, and the bay window was added in the mid-1900s . . . — Map (db m114844) HM
Connecticut (Windham County), Putnam — Morse Mansion
On Church Street.
This circa 1868 2 1/2-story Victorian Italianate villa-style home was built by textile magnate George Morse overlooking the Quinebaug River in sight of three of his mills. With the addition of wings, this building has been integrated into the . . . — Map (db m126032) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — Gov. George Truitt Home
On South Main Street near East Camden Wyoming Avenue.
Gov. George Truitt Home Circa 1750 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m113688) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-203 — Poplar Hall
On Denny Road, on the left when traveling west.
James Boulden the Elder and his family moved to Delaware from Maryland in the mid-18th century, amassing wealth and expanding their land ownership in Pencader Hundred as the century progressed. The two-story brick mansion house was built during this . . . — Map (db m94181) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-204 — The William Montgomery House
On Old Limestone Road, on the right.
A Stone on the facade inscribed with the initials "I.M" and a date of "1789" suggests that construction of this dwelling occurred during the late 18th and early 19th centuries, a period of early industrialization in Delaware. Evidence of a stone . . . — Map (db m94239) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — 5 — Burton-Ingram House
Near Shipcarpenter Street north of 3rd Street, on the left when traveling north.
c.1800. Contains hand-hewn timbers, cypress shingles, fine stairway, interior and exterior moulding. Cellar walls are made of sailing-ship ballast stones and brick. Moved & restored in 1962 by the Lewes Historical Society. — Map (db m113692) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Harbeson Railroad Station Privy — c. 1870
Near Shipcarpenter Street north of 3rd Street, on the left when traveling north.
Established c. 1870 as Broadkin Station, the Harbeson Railroad Station served first the Junction & Breakwater and later the Pennsylvania Railroads as a passenger depot for nearly sixty years. After that time, the station continued to serve as a . . . — Map (db m113696) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Milk House
Near Shipcarpenter Street north of 3rd Street, on the left.
Donated by Mr. & Mrs. Byron Pepper of Georgetown, Delaware Typical building of farms of the 19 and early 20 century — Map (db m113694) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — The Fisher-Martin House — c. 1730
On Kings Highway.
This house is an excellent example of Sussex County architecture circa 1730. It was moved to its present site in 1980 to help celebrate Lewes' 350th anniversary in 1980. — Map (db m113690) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milton — SC-244 — Mansion Farmer: the David Robbins Homestead
On Broadkill Road (Delaware Route 16) west of Reynolds Road, on the right.
This two-story, late 19th century Victorian house was constructed in phases by the Robbins family between 1860-1909 and came to replace a modest structure built by David Robbins Sr. in the early 1800s. The most notable change made was a two-story . . . — Map (db m114435) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 17 of 18 — Urban Renewal Era — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
On 18th Street NW at Kalorama Road NW, on the right when traveling south on 18th Street NW.
The charming Victorian rowhouses you see along 18th Street are an Adams Morgan signature. But they were nearly lost in the 1960s in the name of progress. During World War II, thousands flooded Washington to work for the government, seriously . . . — Map (db m111904) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 8 — You are in the "Strivers' Section" — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood
On U Street NW at 17th Street NW, on the right when traveling west on U Street NW.
Police Call Boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Officers on foot patrol used this secure telegraph system to contact the station, accessing the box with a now highly collectible . . . — Map (db m109114) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 10 of 19 — Set in Stone — Top of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Heritage Trail
On 42nd Street Northwest at River Road NW on 42nd Street Northwest.
You are standing on the west side of Mt. Airy, a subdivision spanning Wisconsin Avenue laid out in the late 1890s. Mt. Airy evolved into a dense, working-class neighborhood, where policemen and dairymen lived in modest houses. Among them . . . — Map (db m112181) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barry Farms — 3 of 20 — Barry Farm Dwellings — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia HeritageTrail
On Martin Luther King, Jr., Avenue SE north of Sumner Road SE, on the right when traveling south.
Just beyond this sign is the edge of Barry Farm Dwellings, built during World War II for African American families. The war had caused acute housing shortages, so people divided large homes into rooming houses, took in boarders, or crammed . . . — Map (db m113608) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 10 of 16 — Bloomingdale — Worthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail
On V Street Northwest at 1st Street NW, on the right when traveling east on V Street Northwest.
You are standing in the heart of Bloomingdale. Noted DC developer Harry Wardman, responsible for 180 Bloomingdale houses, was one of many builders who built here between 1890 and 1910. These Victorian rowhouses were designed for . . . — Map (db m110510) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Corinthian Capital
On 14th Street NE north of Quincy Street NE.
Corinthian Capital Circa 2nd-3rd century AD. This capital, the top of a column, is from Jerusalem. Capitals of this type can be seen in Roman buildings constructed during the time of the Roman occupation of the Holy Land. Good examples can still . . . — Map (db m111792) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — The Jackson H. Gerhart House — Engine Company 17 — Constructed 1902 - Renovated 2007
On Monroe Street Northeast east of 12th Street NE.
The Jackson H. Gerhart House Engine Company 17 Constructed 1902 Renovated 2007 Dedicated in memory of the longest serving member of Engine Company 17, Wagon Driver Jackson H. Gerhart. He was appointed on Feb. 3, 1963 and retired . . . — Map (db m111800) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Burleith — The Evolution of Burleith
On 38th Street Northwest at S Street NW on 38th Street Northwest.
Burleith's built environment dates to the early nineteenth century. The oldest existing home, 1814 35th Street (earlier known as Fayette Street), was built in 1803. Three other structures on 35th Street were built in 1830, and about fifty years . . . — Map (db m113392) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church
On 4th Street SE south of Independence Avenue SE, on the right when traveling south.
The Presbytery of the Potomac organized the Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church on April 11, 1864 and installed its organizing pastor, the Reverend John Chester, D.D. This gothic style building was designed by Washington . . . — Map (db m116128) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square — Historical Information
On 1st Street Northwest near Northwest Drive NW, on the right when traveling north.
General Plan for the Improvement of the U.S. Capitol Grounds by Frederick Law Olmsted, 1874 Following the extension of the Capitol in the 1850s-1860s, the grounds were enlarged in 1872. In 1874 Congress commissioned Frederick Law . . . — Map (db m111439) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square — Historical Information
On New Jersey Avenue Northwest near Northwest Drive NW.
1 Summerhouse Constructed in 1879-1880 , the Summerhouse offers visitors a shaded place to rest, admire views of the Capitol, and have a drink of water. Olmstead's principal architectural assistant Thomas Wisedell, was the designer. The . . . — Map (db m111446) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square — Historical Information
On Southwest Drive west of South Capitol Street SW, on the right when traveling west.
1 Summerhouse Constructed in 1879-1880 , the Summerhouse offers visitors a shaded place to rest, admire views of the Capitol, and have a drink of water. Olmstead's principal architectural assistant Thomas Wisedell, was the designer. The . . . — Map (db m111468) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square, NW — Historical Information
On 1st Street Northwest at Constitution Avenue NW on 1st Street Northwest.
The Robert A. Taft Memorial Carillon Sculpture by Wheeler Williams Architecture by Douglas W. Orr, 1959 The memorial consists of a 100-foot Tennessee marble tower and a 10-foot bronze statue of Senator Taft. The twenty-seven . . . — Map (db m111460) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Carver Langston — Langston Terrace Dwellings/Hilyard Robinson — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 21st Street and Benning Road, NE
On Benning Road NE at 21st Street NE, on the right when traveling west on Benning Road NE.
Langston Terrace Dwellings, opened in 1938, was the first federally funded public housing project in Washington and among the first in the nation. It honors John Mercer Langston (1829-1897), abolitionist, founder of Howard University Law School, . . . — Map (db m112792) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 11 — 11. Bungalow
On Porter Street NW at 30th Street NW on Porter Street NW.
Text on image: M. Belcher 2937 Macomb Street 11. Bungalow In the early 20th century, small apartment buildings and houses were constructed on Macomb, Ordway, Porter, Quebec, and Rodman Streets. Another popular style on these . . . — Map (db m111607) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 15 — 15. Landscape
On Reno Street Northwest at Quebec Street NW, on the right when traveling north on Reno Street Northwest.
Front: 15. Landscape An 1897 study for Washington, D.C. by the renowned landscape architecture firm of Frederick Law Olmstead influenced the layout of many streets in Cleveland Park. Rather than following the standard grid pattern, . . . — Map (db m112374) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 3 — 3. The Broadmoor
On Connecticut Avenue NW north of Porter Street NW, on the right when traveling north. Reported damaged.
3. The Broadmoor The Broadmoor epitomizes the luxury apartment/hotels built along Connecticut Avenue in the 1920s. Designed in 1927 by prominent architect Joseph H. Abel, the Broadmoor featured a pioneering underground garage, restaurant and bar, . . . — Map (db m111655) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 4 — 4. Causeway at Tregaron
On Macomb Street Northwest at Ross Place NW, on the right when traveling west on Macomb Street Northwest.
Front: 4. Causeway at Tregaron In 1912, renowned country house architect, Charles Adams Platt designed several buildings on this 20 acre country estate in collaboration with landscape architect Ellen Biddle Shipman. Initially named . . . — Map (db m112392) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 5 — 5. Site of Red Top — President Cleveland's Cottage
On 35th Street Northwest at Macomb Street NW, on the right when traveling south on 35th Street Northwest.
Front: 5. Site of Red Top President Cleveland's Cottage Cleveland Park derives it's name from it's most illustrious resident, President Grover Cleveland. In 1886, Cleveland purchased a stone farmhouse on the South side of now . . . — Map (db m112386) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 6. Queen Anne Style
On Newark Street Northwest 0.1 miles west of Connecticut Avenue NW, on the right when traveling west.
6. Queen Anne Style This 1898 Queen Anne style house is an outstanding example designed by Robert Thompson Head, the most prolific architect during the first phase of the Cleveland Park neighborhood's development. Between 1897 and 1901, Head . . . — Map (db m112391) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 7 — 7. Early Fire Fighting
On Newark Street Northwest at 33rd Place NW, on the right when traveling east on Newark Street Northwest. Reported unreadable.
7. Early Fire Fighting In 1910, this was the site of a shed hosting a horse drawn chemical fire truck, an important amenity as the first houses in Cleveland Park were constructed mainly of wood, and the new suburb was far from city services. In . . . — Map (db m112388) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 8 — 8. Sherman Cottages
On Highland Place Northwest at Ashley Terrace NW, on the right when traveling north on Highland Place Northwest.
Front: 8. Sherman Cottages Between 1903 and 1912, the second phase of Cleveland Park development featured houses in the Arts and Crafts style. Many of these were Sherman Cottages named for Ella Bennett Sherman, artist and wife of . . . — Map (db m112390) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 9 — 9. Rosedale
On Newark Street Northwest at 36th Street NW, on the right when traveling west on Newark Street Northwest.
Front: 9. Rosedale The grand, 1,000 acre Rosedale Estate which was later subdivided to form Cleveland Park, was purchased by General Uriah Forrest, an aid-de-camp of General George Washington, who built a farmhouse in 1793. Between . . . — Map (db m112382) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — The Story of Rosedale — From Colonial Farm to Village Green
On Newark Street Northwest at 35th Street NW, on the right when traveling west on Newark Street Northwest.
The Rosedale farmhouse is said to be the oldest house surviving in Washington, DC. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. The farmhouse is a private home. Please do not enter farmhouse grounds. . . . — Map (db m112385) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — 5 of 19 — Community Builders — Cultural Convergence — Columbia Heights Heritage Trail
On Otis Place Northwest at Irving Street NW on Otis Place Northwest.
Harry Wardman, Washington's prolific developer, built nearly all of the 300 houses to your right between Monroe Street and Spring Road. Wardman, an English immigrant and self-made millionaire, became known for his rowhouses, whose front . . . — Map (db m112051) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Deanwood — 6 of 15 — From Gardens to Garden Apartments — A Self-Reliant People — Greater Deanwood Heritage Trail
On Jay Street Northeast at 49th Street NE, on the right when traveling east on Jay Street Northeast.
Largely ignored by city officials and isolated from downtown DC, Deanwood remained semi-rural until around World War II (1941-1945). Lifelong residents who grew up in the 1930s and '40s remember outsiders telling them that they lived in . . . — Map (db m110483) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Discover DC / Metro Center
On F Street Northwest west of 12th Street NW, on the right when traveling east.
Welcome to downtown Washington, DC — an area rich in history, culture, and places to see. You will enjoy visiting the following sites in the vicinity of this sign. [Clockwise from top left:] Old Post Office Pavilion . . . — Map (db m114658) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Downtown Washington, 1801
On 15th Street NW at New York Avenue NW, on the right when traveling south on 15th Street NW.
This painting is based on the little-known 1801 watercolor "President House" by J. Benford, part of The White House art collection. Some art historians claim the large building on the right is not the White House, but Blodgett's Hotel, which . . . — Map (db m120236) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — The Corcoran Gallery of Art
On Pennsylvania Avenue NW east of 17th Street NW, on the right when traveling west.
This building was erected in 1859 for The Corcoran Gallery of Art founded by William Wilson Corcoran banker and philanthropist Designated for use of the United States Court of Claims by Act of Congress. Approved March 3, . . . — Map (db m113101) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — 319 — Development in the neighborhood — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions/One Neighborhood
On Massachusetts Avenue, NW near 20th Street, NW, on the right when traveling west.
Development in the neighborhood got its first start in 1871 when the Board of Public Works, under the leadership of Alexander “Boss” Robey Sheperd, installed sewers, paved roads, extended gas pipes and planted trees here . . . — Map (db m113907) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Dupont Circle Mural Key
On Connecticut Avenue Northwest south of Dupont Circle NW when traveling south.
Images Courtesy Of: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division • DC Public Library, Washingtoniana Division • Heurich House Museum • Women's National Democratic Club Archives • Michael Cianciosi Private Collection, Potomac Bottle . . . — Map (db m110851) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Indonesian Embassy/Walsh-McLean Mansion — Historic Site, Washington, DC — 2020 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
On Massachusetts Avenue NW east of 21st Street NW, on the right when traveling east.
Tycoon/philanthropist Thomas Francis Walsh built this 60-room, neo-Baroque mansion in 1903. An Irish immigrant who as a young man had struck it rich mining gold in Colorado, Walsh (1850-1910) brought his wife, Carrie Bell Walsh, and children to . . . — Map (db m117414) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — James G. Blaine Mansion — Historic Site, Washington DC
On Massachusetts Avenue, NW at 20th Street, NW, on the right when traveling east on Massachusetts Avenue, NW.
2000 Massachusetts Avenue, NW Politician James G. Blaine (1830-1893), the three-time Republican presidential hopeful who represented Maine in the House and the Senate, built this house in 1881-82. Blaine and his family lived here only briefly . . . — Map (db m98315) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — 14 — Rooms With a View — Roads to Diversity — Adams-Morgan Heritage Trail
On T Street, on the right when traveling west.
This hill, with its sweeping views of Washington and the Potomac, has tantalized visionaries since the 1800s. But few of their plans have been built. In 1873 businessman and city commissioner Thomas P. Morgan (whose name survives as part of . . . — Map (db m93415) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — The building on this corner — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood
On N Street Northwest at 22nd Street NW on N Street Northwest. Reported damaged.
Police Call Boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Officers on foot patrol used this secure telegraph system to contact the station, accessing the box with a now highly collectible . . . — Map (db m112628) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — You are standing at the edge of Embassy Row — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood
On Massachusetts Avenue Northwest west of 17th Street NW, on the left when traveling west. Reported damaged.
Fire Fact, 1871 The District of Columbia Fire Department was established on September 23, 1871 and included six fire companies. The "all-paid" fire department replaced the volunteer fire companies that had protected the Districts. . . . — Map (db m112655) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — 1801 F Street
On F Street Northwest.
1801 F Street Site of residences of Chief Justice John Marshall Chief Justice Melville Fuller Associate Justice Joseph Story Plaque erected under auspices of The Columbia Historical Society and The Bar Association of The . . . — Map (db m116596) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Alexander Ray House — 1925 F Street Club
On F Street NW east of 20th Street, on the right when traveling west.
This large free-standing townhouse was built in 1849, and is one of the few remaining houses with Greek Revival elements in the city. — Map (db m116985) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Lenthall Houses
On 21st Street NW north of F Street NW, on the right.
These two circa 1800 Federal Style houses were built by John Lenthall, architect and principal assistant to Benjamin Latrobe on the construction of the United States Capitol. The houses were originally located at 612 and 614 19th Street, N.W., and . . . — Map (db m115901) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Walter E. Washington Memorial Arch
On Pennsylvania Avenue NW west of 21st Street NW, on the right when traveling west.
Walter E. Washington Memorial Arch The Honorable Walter E. Washington (1915-2003) In Tribute to the First Modern Mayor of the District of Columbia Appointed Commissioner-Mayor, 1967-73 Elected Mayor, 1974-79 A Good . . . — Map (db m111547) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Forest Hills at Home — Forest Hills Neighborhood Art on Call
On Ellicott Street Northwest at 30th Place NW on Ellicott Street Northwest. Reported damaged.
Forest Hills at Home — Map (db m114356) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — 1667 Wisconsin Ave. NW
On Wisconsin Avenue, NW, on the right when traveling west.
Georgetown Historic District 1667 Wisconsin Ave. NW National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m98981) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — 5 Congress at Oak Alley — Old Georgetown
On 31st Street NW north of M Street NW, on the left when traveling north.
This building dates to the late 1700's and reputedly was constructed from brick which had been used as ballast in a ship from England. Originally the first apothecary store in Washington, it became a sign shop around 1860. In the 1890's, it was . . . — Map (db m113645) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — A Georgetown "Cathedral"
On O Street NW at 31st Street NW, on the right when traveling east on O Street NW.
Almost a miniature Gothic cathedral, Christ Church behind you was built in 1885. It is the third building to occupy the spot since a group of Georgetown Episcopalians founded the parish in 1817. Among the founders were Francis Scott Key, author . . . — Map (db m113421) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Halcyon House
On Prospect Street NW west of 34th Street NW, on the right when traveling east.
Built in 1786 by Benjamin Stoddert, First Secretary of the Navy, who played a prominent role in having the capital situated here. Halcyon House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a landmark which contributes to the . . . — Map (db m113404) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Herring Hill
On P Street NW at 27th Street NW on P Street NW.
Herring Hill You are standing in the heart of a once thriving African American community. At the time of the American Revolution in 1776, one third of Georgetown's population was African American. By the time of the Civil War in the 1860s, . . . — Map (db m110018) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — History Preserved and Adapted
On K Street, NW, on the right when traveling east.
Georgetown began in the 1740s as a tobacco port, where ships departed for Britain, Europe and the West Indies filled with flour, lumber, coal, grain and, above all, tobacco. The fine harbor brought visitors and goods and, with them, prosperity and . . . — Map (db m113415) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Houses With A Prospect
On Prospect Street Northwest at 34th Street NW, on the left when traveling west on Prospect Street Northwest. Reported damaged.
The early mansions of wealthy ship owners, merchants and land speculators in this part of Georgetown were built high above the Potomac River with fine views, or prospects, of the harbor filled with ships and the wilds of Virginia on the other . . . — Map (db m113401) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — In Memory of Grosvenor Chapman — 1911-1993
Near Q Street Northwest east of 34th Street NW.
His half-century of articulate, constructive and untiring activism on behalf of urban planning and historic preservation helped shape the face of Georgetown and the City of Washington. President and Fellow, Washington Chapter of the AIA . . . — Map (db m112136) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — John Lutz
On Wisconsin Avenue Northwest south of N Street NW, on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m113649) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — M Street - A Road Well Traveled
On M Street, NW at 30th Street, NW, on the right when traveling east on M Street, NW.
M Street has always been heavily traveled. In 1795 this prompted passage of the first local speeding law, making it illegal to gallop horses on M Street. Back in 1634, things were quieter. Then, Englishman Henry Fleet wrote of finding "deer, . . . — Map (db m97704) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — DC-188 — MaHorney - Harrington House — Built c. 1821 — Formerly 64 Lingnen Street - Originally Gay Street
On 36th Street NW south of P Street NW, on the right when traveling north.
In 1821, George MaHorney, a bricklayer, built this two room, two story frame "laborer's cottage." William W. Corcoran, a founder of the Corcoran and Riggs Bank and the Corcoran Gallery of Art, owned the property from 1853, through the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m112144) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Poulton Hall — Built 1947
On 37th Street NW at O Street NW, on the right on 37th Street NW.
The building commemorates Father Ferdinand Poulton, S.J. a founding member of the American Jesuit Community, who arrived in Maryland in 1638. The building was acquired under the College Building Program of the Federal Works Agency. North . . . — Map (db m110020) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Ross and Getty House
On 30th Street, NW 0 miles north of M Street, NW, on the right when traveling south.
Ross and Getty House No. 1, c. 1810 Foundation for Preservation of Historic Georgetown Easement acquired October, 1975 Accepted, March, 1976, by National Trust for Historic Preservation Additional marker: 1210 30th Street, N.W. Andrew Ross . . . — Map (db m97705) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — St. John's Episcopal Church, Georgetown Parish
On O Street NW at Potomac Street NW on O Street NW.
This first Episcopal congregation in Georgetown was founded in 1796 by the Reverend Walter Dulany Addison. Other founders and benefactors include Thomas Hyde, Thomas Corcoran, Benjamin Stoddert, and Francis Scott Key. President Thomas Jefferson . . . — Map (db m113951) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — St. Mary's — Built 1956
On Reservoir Road Northwest 0.1 miles east of 38th Street NW, on the right when traveling east.
St. Mary's Built 1956 This building is named in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary and was dedicated to Our Lady of Victory. Originally built as a combined Nursing School and Nurses Dormitory. The building is home to the School of . . . — Map (db m110854) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Stately Houses and Gardens
On N Street NW at 30th Street NW, on the right when traveling west on N Street NW.
Hidden behind the grand houses of N Street — and many others large and small — are tranquil walled gardens with brick terraces, old shade trees, lily ponds, swimming pools, and a tennis court or two. Behind you stands the Edes . . . — Map (db m113641) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Suter Home
On 30th Street NW south of N Street NW, on the right when traveling north.
Built c. 1801 - 1806 by John or Alexander Suter, sons of John Suter, owner of Suter's Tavern — Map (db m121205) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Georgetown Heights
On R Street Northwest when traveling east.
Occupying the most prominent site on the Georgetown Heights overlooking Georgetown, the Potomac River and Virginia is the Georgetown Branch Library. The library houses the Peabody Room, an archive devoted to the history of Georgetown. The archive . . . — Map (db m101365) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Volta Bureau
On 35th Street Northwest at Volta Place NW, on the left when traveling south on 35th Street Northwest.
Volta Bureau has been designated a Registered National Historical Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the . . . — Map (db m112142) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Hillsdale — 7 of 20 — Roads That Divide — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail
On Martin Luther King, Jr., Avenue SE north of Stanton Road NW, on the right when traveling north.
In the early evening of November 22, 1963, a clutch of people stood forlornly on this bridge spanning Suitland Parkway. They awaited the procession carrying the body of slain President John F. Kennedy from Andrews Air Force Base to Bethesda . . . — Map (db m113610) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Judiciary Square — Discover DC / Judiciary Square
On 4th Street SW at Indiana Avenue NW, on the right on 4th Street SW.
Welcome to downtown Washington DC - an area rich in history, culture and places to see. You will enjoy visiting the following sites located in the vicinity of this sign. Clockwise from top: "Lone Sailor" at the US Navy . . . — Map (db m110214) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Kalorama Triangle — 13 of 18 — "Best Addresses" — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
On 20th Street Northwest at Columbia Road NW, on the right when traveling north on 20th Street Northwest.
dubbed "best addresses" by historian James Goode, the grand apartments of the Kalorama Triangle are among the city's earliest. The Mendota (1901) located at 2220 20th, is the city's oldest intact luxury apartment house. The Wyoming (1905_1911), . . . — Map (db m112600) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Kalorama Triangle — Embassy of the Republic of Malta — Washington D.C.
On Connecticut Avenue NW north of California Street NW, on the right when traveling north.
This building in the historical district of Kalorama houses the Embassy and the Consulate of the Republic of Malta. It was built in 1903 on the plans of the noted American architect Waddy Butler Wood (1869-1944). In 1987 it was listed on the . . . — Map (db m119777) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Kalorama Triangle — 12 of 18 — Kalorama Triangle — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
On Columbia Road Northwest north of Mintwood Place NW, on the right when traveling south.
You are standing in the Kalorama Triangle Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1987. Most of its elaborate houses were built between 1888 and 1930 in what was then the "Washington Heights" subdivision. . . . — Map (db m112598) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Logan Circle — Logan Circle — In Past and Present: Mirror on American History
On P Street NW at Logan Circle NW, on the left when traveling east on P Street NW.
Pierre L'Enfant's 1791 design for the Nation's capital featured a prominent triangle formed by the "President's House" and two intersections: Pacific Circle, located to the northwest of the presidential residence, and Iowa Circle, to the . . . — Map (db m113676) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mahaning Heights — From Gambling to Garden Apartments — A Self-Reliant People — Greater Deanwood Heritage Trail
On Hayes Street Northeast at Minnesota Avenue NE on Hayes Street Northeast.
If you had stood here 100 years ago, you might have heard the cheering crowds and thundering hoofbeats of Benning Racetrack just across the tracks to your right. Beginning in 1890, Benning was the best-equipped race course in Washington. . . . — Map (db m110494) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), McClean Gardens — The Woodley Inn
On Woodley Road Northwest at Wisconsin Avenue NW on Woodley Road Northwest.
In the late nineteenth century, a rural retreat called the Woodley Inn rose near what became Massachusetts Avenue and 38th Street. Before the advent of air conditioning, wealthy families summered on the heights overlooking the city to escape the . . . — Map (db m112151) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 6 — At Home and Abroad — The War Years 1941-45
On Kilbourne Place Northwest at 17th Street NW, on the right when traveling west on Kilbourne Place Northwest.
6 At Home and Abroad: The War Years 1941-45 Even before the United States entered World War II in 1941, thousands of workers from across the country streamed into Washington to fill new military and government jobs. The swelling . . . — Map (db m111891) HM WM

1578 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1378
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.