Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

DuPage County Illinois Historical Markers

 
Army Trail Road Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, August 26, 2011
Army Trail Road Marker
Illinois (DuPage County), Addison — Army Trail Road
This road followed an Indian trail that began in Chicago and went through DuPage, Kane, De Kalb, Boone, and Winnebago Counties to a Winnebago Village at Beloit, Wisconsin. In August, 1832, during the Black Hawk War, United States Army reinforcements . . . — Map (db m47438) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Addison — Kinderheim Arch
This memorial was constructed using the cornerstone, bricks, doorframe, and windowsills from the former Kinderheim building.

Originally, the building served as a Lutheran foster home for children, from the time it was built in 1925, until 1960. . . . — Map (db m47431) HM

Illinois (DuPage County), Addison — Old Mill1867 – 1958
Built by Christian Heidemann Stood 50 feet west of this marker on Ronald Drive — Map (db m47439) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Addison — Site of Lutheran Teacher’s Seminary1864-1913
This monument, made from window sills and steps from the seminary, was erected in 1974 by grateful alumni. The seminary was relocated in 1913 to River Forest, Illinois, and is now named Concordia College.

Matt 28:19 – Go ye and teach all . . . — Map (db m47436) HM

Illinois (DuPage County), Addison — Site of St. Paul Lutheran School
Site of the first building of St. Paul Lutheran School which served as school and teacherage, home, and youth center (1849-1974). Henry Bartling, first teacher (1849-1891) also served as Addison postmaster for over 50 years. — Map (db m47429) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Addison — The Gazebos of Addison1965 • 1974 • 2000
Addison’s Village Green, a popular site for concerts and other events, has seem three different gazebos constructed at this site.

The first, dedicated in 1965, was built in Rome, Italy in 1873 and then brought to Addison by Joseph Incandella. It . . . — Map (db m47432) HM

Illinois (DuPage County), Addison — Veterans Circle
This monument is in the shape of a five-pointed star when viewed from above. On each arm of the star is an emblem of the one of the five military services; Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. Between each arm is the . . . — Map (db m47440) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Burr Ridge — Bruno F. ShustekShustek Pond
Bruno F. Shustek Sept 10, 1899 - July 6, 1930 Shustek Pond In honor of Bruno F. Shustek, who gave his life attempting a daring midair rescue of parachutist Mary Fahrney, just northwest of this site, on July 6, 1930. This pond was . . . — Map (db m119952) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Downers Grove — Farmer's and Merchant's Bank BuildingA Downers Grove Historic Site — circa 1892
The Farmer's and Merchant's Bank Building was built in 1892 for the first bank in Downers Grove. The bank was organized on May 10, 1892. The officers of the bank included Charles Curtiss, President, W.A. Tope, M.D., Vice President, and W.H. Edwards, . . . — Map (db m60037) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Downers Grove — Main Street CemeteryA Downers Grove Historic Site — circa 1856
In 1856, Samuel Curtiss donated part of his sheep pasture for use as a cemetery. He was later paid $15 for the land, money from individuals who formed a cemetery association in 1864. Nearly 100 members of Downers Grove's early families, including . . . — Map (db m60038) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Downers Grove — Main Street Cemetery
In the early days this was the entrance to the cemetery since the original Main Street was one block west of present day Main Street. For this reason, as you will note, most of the inscriptions on the gravestones are facing west. As a result of . . . — Map (db m60039) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Downers Grove — Masonic TempleA Downers Grove Historic Site — 1924
Architects Fugard & Knapp designed this temple in 1924 for Grove Lodge No. 824, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. The Lodge was chartered October 4, 1893. Charter members included E.E. Downer, G.E. Downer, M.B. Downer, T.S. Rogers, Charles Mochel, . . . — Map (db m60036) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Downers Grove — The Indian Boundary Line
Immediately north of this marker runs the Indian Boundary Line which was established on Aug 24, 1816 by a treaty between three U.S. commissioners and the Chippewa, Ottawa and Potawotami Indians to provide a corridor between Lake Michigan and the . . . — Map (db m60035) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Glen Ellyn — Glen Ellyn Main Street Historic DistrictNational Register of Historic Places
The district includes homes from 549-592 Main Street. The architecturally significant homes are typical of the Victorian Era. — Map (db m97865) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Glen Ellyn — Stacy’s Tavern
Moses Stacy, soldier in the War of 1812, arrived here in 1835. This inn, built in 1846 and his second home, was a halfway stop between Chicago and the Fox River Valley and a probable stage stop for Rockford-Galena coaches. For many years the village . . . — Map (db m97573) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Naperville — Fort Payne
Near this site in 1832 a 100-foot square stockade enclosed by wooden pickets, with two blockhouses on diagonal corners, was built. Here Captain Morgan L. Payne and his company of forty-five men protected the settlers from roaming Sauk Indians during . . . — Map (db m97574) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Oak Brook — Ben Fuller HouseGraue Gristmill
The Ben Fuller House is one of, if not the oldest surviving buildings in DuPage County. The farmhouse was built sometime between 1835 and 1842 by Benjamin Fuller, one of DuPage County’s earliest settlers. Mr. Fuller reportedly arrived to the area . . . — Map (db m48058) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Oak Brook — Mammoth Spring
Mammoth Spring Largest in northeastern Illinois, burst forth in 1861 and was used for domestic and irrigation purposes pumping 150 gallons per minute, furnished through wood conduit the total water supply for Elmhurst from 1889-1916 The . . . — Map (db m33626) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Wayne — Wayne Village Historic District
Wayne Village was founded as a settlement by Solomon Dunham, after the Galena and Union tracks were completed in 1850. (Later called the Chicago Northwestern R.R.) The founder of the settlement was appointed the first station master, postmaster, and . . . — Map (db m57842) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Wheaton — Cantigny First Division Museum
Dedicated to the valor of all Americans who fought for their country. Established by trustees of the Robert R. McCormick Charitable Trust as a memorial to Colonel Robert R. McCormick who served in France with the 5th Field Artillery, First . . . — Map (db m70911) WM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.