Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Onondaga County New York Historical Markers

 
Log Cabin Site Marker as seen facing East image, Touch for more information
By Yugoboy, March 11, 2013
Log Cabin Site Marker as seen facing East
New York (Onondaga County), Baldwinsville — Log Cabin Site
Jonas Baldwin founder of Baldwinsville, built the first log cabin on the north side of the Seneca River near this spot in 1807. — Map (db m65339) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Baldwinsville — Mrs. I.L. Crego House
Mrs. I.L. Crego House This Italianate-Style home, c.1879, was designed for Charlotte & Ira Lyons Crego by the region's foremost architect of the late 19th C. Archimedes Russell.Map (db m83851) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Baldwinsville — The Old Yard
The Old Yard Early settler John McHarrie buried on his property 1807 his wife Lydia buried 1818. Dr. Jonas Baldwin & wife. Eliza W. Buried here 1827. — Map (db m83815) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Brewerton — Techiroguen
Site of Indian village Techiroguen visited by Le Moyne 1654 and by La Salle 1673 — Map (db m84022) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Camillus — 9 Mile Creek Aqueduct
[Obverse]: 9 Mile Creek Aqueduct Built 1842 By NY State. In Use 1845 - 1918, Replacing 1819 Aqueduct Located Just Downstream. One of 32 On The 19th Century Erie Canal. Canal Society of N.Y.S. . . . — Map (db m24186) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Camillus — George Geddes Farm
George Geddes Farm Chosen best in state in 1846. Frederick Law Olmsted; designer of Central Park, apprenticed here that year. Stone barn remains. — Map (db m122830) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Camillus — Paddock Mill
Flour & grist mill built in 1826-27 by Nathan Paddock. Sold to Modern Tissue Corp in 1936 called Amboy Paper Mill since. Closed 1958. — Map (db m86484) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Cardiff — Cardiff Giant
Disinterred near this village on Oct. 16, 1869. Represented as a petrified prehistoric man, it was subsequently proved a hoax. — Map (db m40055) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Cardiff — The Cardiff Giant
Discovered here October 16, 1869. It was proved a hoax, one of the greatest public deceptions in American history. — Map (db m40056) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Cicero — Childhood Home
Childhood Home Matilda Joslyn Gage 1826-98 writer and activist leader of New York and national woman sufferage associations. Staunch abolitionist. — Map (db m83972) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Cicero — John Leach
Made first settlement at Cicero Corners in 1802. Kept a tavern in loghouse. — Map (db m82322) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Clay — Cigarville Station
Built 1871 - served Syracuse Northern RR - burned and rebuilt about 1890. Renamed Clay Station 1903. First PO in town. D. Sotherden, Owner — Map (db m65338) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Clay — Oak Orchard
Oak Orchard Sacred area for natives Haudenosaunee gathering, fishing and fording place. Site of massacre of Haudenosaunee people. — Map (db m83896) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Clay — Pine Plains
Pine Plains First burial April 9, 1812. Inc. 1886 from Shaver Cemetery and other farm land. Veterans of Revolutionary & Civil Wars and other wars buried here. — Map (db m83876) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — First Log Cabin
Near This Site First Log Cabin In the Town of Elbridge Built by Josiah Buck 1793 — Map (db m108730) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — Jordan Lock 51
1847 Enlarged Erie Canal Replaced Jordan Village Lock Expanded to Double Lock 1884 Locks Lengthened Power Winch Used to Lock — Map (db m109249) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Fayetteville — Grover Cleveland
U.S. President 1884 - 1888 and 1892 - 1896. His boyhood home is the first house on the left north of the corner house. — Map (db m96143) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Jordan — Erie Canal
Opened 1819 in Jordan Abandoned Fall of 1917 Aqueduct built 1841 when the canal was enlarged Canal Park built 1932 — Map (db m12544) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Kirkville — 208 — Pool's Brook
Named For Peter Pool Who Built Saw Mill On This Site ca. 1815. Pool's Store Served Those Traveling Erie Canal. — Map (db m109211) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Liverpool — Nathan Teall
Nathan Teall First Postmaster West Cicero 1825 changed to Clay 1828 — Map (db m82075) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Lysander — On This Hill
On This Hill in the original house, 31 women organized the Female Charitable Society, second oldest woman's society in the U.S., July 27, 1817 — Map (db m83853) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Lysander — Willett Tract
Willett Tract This site is part of the military tract allotment deeded on July 9, 1790 to Marinus Willett, Revolutionary War hero — Map (db m83875) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Marcellus — First Sawmill
First sawmill in Town of Marcellus built 1796 by Deacon Samuel Rice and Judge Dan Bradley. — Map (db m40097) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Marcellus — Site of First Frame House
Site of first frame house in Town of Marcellus. Built by Dr. Elnathan Beach who served in American Revolution; sheriff of county from 1799 to 1801. — Map (db m40096) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Marcellus — Site of Old Hotel
Site of old hotel kept by Dr. Bildad Beach. Gen. LaFayette stopped here June 9, 1824. — Map (db m40095) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Nedrow — Nedrow c. 1798
Known as Onondaga Castle until 1897. Renamed Rockwell Springs for the sulphur springs & picnic area. Nedrow P.O. est'd 1917. — Map (db m40072) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Salina — Jesuit Mission — French Fort, Jesuit Well, Col. Van Schaick
Jesuit Mission The salt springs at Onondaga Lake were visited by Father LeMoyne, August 16, 1654. The following year Fathers Chaumonot and Dablon made a settlement here and on 1656 founded the mission of Ste. Marie of Ganentaa which was . . . — Map (db m91167) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — "Factory Gulf"
Founded by Amos Miner circa 1805 Carding and fulling factory woolen and clothing works "accelerated wheel heads" — Map (db m108496) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — Sherwood Inn
Site of the old Sherwood Inn built about 1800 — Map (db m108500) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — Site of The Great Fire
September 28, 1835 thirteen lakeside buildings were destroyed commencing in Parsons Cabinet Shop. — Map (db m100709) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — St. John's Beach
Bishop Frederic Cammerhoff and David Zeisberger, Moravian missionaries, built the first Skaneateles shelter on this site June 1750

Historic Marker Skaneateles 1999 — Map (db m108498) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — Steeple Bell
Installed circa 1874 Spafford Union Meeting House 1838-1976 — Map (db m108494) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Spafford — Borodino Hall
Site of first religious society of Borodino Church c. 1833 Spafford Town Hall 1870 Borodino Grange #1272 1912-1997 Spafford Area Historical Society 1997 — Map (db m108495) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — atLantic ocean

the head representing the Atlantic Ocean features Neptune's trident upholding a crescent shaped moon, indicative of the relationship between the moon and the tides. To one side is the compass chart and to the other is the compass box top . . . — Map (db m110223) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Boyne

the Boyne head features the date "1690" - the year of the Battle of the Boyne when the Catholic King James was defeated by King William (Billy) of Orange.

The river rises in County Westmeath, touches County Offaly, flows into County . . . — Map (db m110217) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Coleman's Irish Pub — Est. 1933 — Tipperary Hill

[Title is text]

———————————————————

[Just for fun]

Coleman's provides the one and only Leprechaun Entrance . . . — Map (db m110226) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Harriet May Mills House
Home Of Harriet May Mills, Pres. Of N.Y. Woman Sufferage Assoc. 1st Woman to Run For Sec. Of State (1920) Founder Of On. Cty. Women's Democ. Club — Map (db m109248) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Heritage Monument Founders 1997

The Coleman Family • The Leigh-Hayden Family The O'Brien Family • Hon. Leo Hayes & Family The Dorsey Family • The Gooley Family Jerry Wilson • The Collins Family • Chris Witting The Ken Davis Family • The Dennis Ryan Family Mayor . . . — Map (db m110366) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Kana-Ta-Go-Wah — (Big Village Near The Council House)

Large Iroquois-Onondaga village located on east bank of Onondaga Creek and extending to this site

Onondaga Indians began to settle here after the burning of Onondaga Village in Frontenac's Invasion 1696 From 1720 known as . . . — Map (db m124421) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Liffey

the Liffey is the only female head and occupies the place of honour facing onto the quays and the river. The face is crowned by flowers and fruits and superimposed by a trident representing the city's powers over the waters of Dublin Bay . . . — Map (db m110220) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Scott Mulholland — 4/4/1959 thru 9/3/2010

Original member of the "Traditional Painting of the Shamrock"Map (db m110363) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Shannon

the greatest of Irish rivers - the lordly Shannon - features oak leaves and acorns, themselves symbols of strength and nobility. The trident represents Limerick City's sovereignty over the mighty Estuary. The river rises in [C]ounty . . . — Map (db m110222) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Syracuse Area — Historic New York
Onondaga Indians, the keepers of the council fires for the Iroquois League, lived here. French soldiers and Jesuit missionaries came from Canada in 1654 to seek their friendship. In that year, Father Simon Le Moyne discovered salt springs in the . . . — Map (db m57112) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Syracuse Area — Historic New York
Onondaga Indians, the keepers of the council fires for the Iroquois League, lived here. French soldiers and Jesuit missionaries came from Canada in 1654 to seek their friendship. In that year, Father Simon LeMoyne discovered salt springs in the . . . — Map (db m64982) HM

44 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.