Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection Historical Markers

Markers of the Ohio Historical Markers Program administered by the Ohio Historical Society, now called The Ohio History Connection, and formerly known as the Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society.1085 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 885
 
Bentonville Anti-Horse Thief Society Marker image, Touch for more information
By John Swank, September 15, 2012
Bentonville Anti-Horse Thief Society Marker
Ohio (Adams County), Bentonville — 10-1 — Bentonville Anti-Horse Thief Society
Originally a vigilante group, the Anti-Horse Thief Society was formed here in March 1853 by area landowners to recover stolen horses and prosecute the thieves. Horse theft was a serious offense in the ante-bellum era. Trustees nominated a captain . . . — Map (db m59584) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Peebles — 1-6 — Peebles
Platted in 1881 by Isaiah Custer on the junction of old Zane's Trace (1796-97) and the Cincinnati & Eastern Railway (1881). Incorporated 1886. Named after John G. Peebles, Portsmouth, Ohio businessman. David Nixon constructed the first house in town . . . — Map (db m108198) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Peebles — 2-1 — Wickerham Inn1800-01
The inn was built 1800-01 by Peter Wickerham, a Revolutionary War veteran. It was used as an overnight stagecoach stop and tavern on Zane's Trace until ca. 1850. Runaway slaves were hidden here when the "Underground Railroad" was in operation. . . . — Map (db m108129) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Rome — 1-8 — Rome(Stout Post Office)
A thriving riverport in the 19th Century founded in 1835 by William Stout. Elisha Stout, son of William, born and raised here, was one of the founding fathers of Omaha, Nebraska and Denver, Colorado. Former site of Adamsville which served as the . . . — Map (db m73138) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Seaman — 1-7 — Seaman
Founded 1887 by John Q. Roads on the Cincinnati & Eastern Railway (1881) and the Old West Union Road (1807). Incorporated 1911. Named after Franklin Seaman who donated land to the railroad for a station. Home of Will Rogers, "The Black King of the . . . — Map (db m108200) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Delphos — 5-81 — Leslie C. Peltier
A farm boy with a tenth grade education, Leslie Peltier, born near Delphos in 1900, achieved fame as one of the most famous astronomers of the twentieth century. In 1916, he raised $18 dollars by picking 900 quarts of strawberries on his father's . . . — Map (db m68980) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lafayette — 2-4 — McKee's Hill
Following the American Revolution, the British Crown sought to retain possession of the Ohio Country by sending chief British Indian Agent Alexander McKee and others to establish trading posts with Native Americans and resist American settlement. . . . — Map (db m28686) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lafayette — P-39 Airacobra Crash SiteMarch 18, 1942
On March 18, 1942, four U.S. Army Air Corps pilots lost their lives within a quarter mile of this marker. Three months after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, these pilots left Wayne County Airport near Detroit flying P-39F Airacobra pursuit planes. They . . . — Map (db m80889) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 2-5 — Faurot Oil Well
In 1885, 800 feet north of this marker, Benjamin Faurot struck oil after drilling into the Trenton Rock Limestone formation at a depth of 1,251 feet. This event marked the beginning of the great Oil Boom of northwest Ohio. The ensuing rush brought . . . — Map (db m22931) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 1-2 — Lima Locomotive Works
One of America's largest steam locomotive builders, the Lima Locomotive Works, built 7,752 locomotives between 1879 and 1951. It rose to success building the patented Shay geared locomotive, an innovative design that became the standard for . . . — Map (db m22935) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 6-2 — Servicemen's Free Canteen
The Lima Chapter of the American Women's Voluntary Services Organization established a community-based, free canteen during World War II for troops traveling on the Pennsylvania Railroad and adjacent Baltimore & Ohio-Nickel Plate Railroads. Meeting . . . — Map (db m22951) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 3-2 — Solar Refinery
Side A: Oil became a valuable resource in Ohio when significant quantities were discovered in Lima in 1885. The discovery brought an economic boom to Lima and northwest Ohio. News of the Lima oil field spread, attracting the attention of John D. . . . — Map (db m22961) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 2-2 — The Interurban Era
In 1910, the Ohio Electric Railway Company opened this terminal, formerly the Interurban Building, which served interurban passengers until 1937. Along with offices, it contained space for express and baggage handling, ticket windows, a newsstand, . . . — Map (db m22934) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — 1-6 — Fort AmandaOhio Historical Marker
[Marker Front] After Gen. William Hull's surrender at Detroit early in the War of 1812, most of Michigan Territory came under British and Indian control. To prevent a possible invasion of Ohio, Gen. William Henry Harrison, commander of . . . — Map (db m19826) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — 5- 3 — Founding of Ashland College / Ashland Eagles Tradition
Founding of Ashland College The dream of establishing a college was born in the hearts of members of the German Brethren Church. In March 1877, a meeting was held at the Maple Grove Brethren Church to discuss the establishment of a college in . . . — Map (db m97072) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Hayesville — 1-3 — Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House
This building was a center of community life from the time of its construction in 1886 to the late 1930s. Once common, such combinations of governmental offices and commercial and entertainment space are today rare. The second floor opera house . . . — Map (db m24286) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Loudonville — 7-70 — Clear Fork GorgeA Feature of Ohio's Forests
Clear Fork Gorge was formed when glacial meltwater cut through the sandstone bedrock that forms its steep walls fourteen to twenty-four thousand years ago. The gorge is one thousand feet wide and over three hundred feet deep. Its seclusion has . . . — Map (db m24285) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Loundonville — 3-3 — Charles Franklin Kettering
A pioneer in automotive innovation. Charles Franklin Kettering (1876-1958) was born three miles north of Loudonville. He attended local schools and graduated from Ohio State University in 1904. He organizaed the Dayton Engineering Laboratories . . . — Map (db m1341) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Mifflin — 2-3 — Frontier Violence During the War of 1812
Front Tensions between Native Americans and Euro-American settlers remained high on the Ohio frontier during the War of 1812. Grievances mounted rapidly following the removal of the Greentown Delawares to Piqua in the late summer of 1812. On . . . — Map (db m28800) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Mifflin — 8- 3 — Historic Mifflin
Side A Mifflin was founded in 1816. Originally known as Petersburg, the name was changed in 1827 in honor of the settlers that moved here from Mifflin Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. The first village jailhouse and crossroad . . . — Map (db m97113) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Perrysville — 4-3 — Greentown Delaware Village
A migration of Indians throughout Ohio began due to unstable conditions created by the American Revolution. The massacre of Christian Indians at the Moravian mission of Gnadenhutten in 1782 and Colonel William Crawford’s expedition against Wyandot . . . — Map (db m1340) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Perrysville — 7-3 — Johnny “Appleseed” Land Lease and Nursery
John “Appleseed” Chapman (b. September 26, 1774—d. March 18, 1845) was the first lessee of this 160 acre tract (NW ¼, S 20, T 20, R 16), when he secured it for 99 years from the Virginia Military District School Lands on April 10, . . . — Map (db m46337) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Andover — 8-4 — Pymatuning Wetlands / Pymatuning Reservoir
Pymatuning Wetlands The advancing and retreating mile-high glacial sheet of ice and snow shaped the countryside around this area. As the last of the ice masses melted, a great swamp developed, punctuated by towering white pines, bogs, and . . . — Map (db m107661) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Orwell — 9-4 — Adna R. Chaffee
Adna R. Chaffee was born in Orwell on April 14, 1842, and grew up on the family farm. He left home in 1861 to pursue a career in the military, enlisting first in the 6th U.S. Cavalry for service in the Civil War. Distinguishing himself in many . . . — Map (db m7238) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Albany — 2-5 — Albany / Enterprise Academy
Albany (Side A) The village of Albany was established in 1838 as a market center for the surrounding agricultural area, which saw its first white settlement in the early years of the nineteenth century. Education was always a major concern of . . . — Map (db m52872) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Amesville — 5-5 — Western Library Association1804 — The Coonskin Library
In the years leading to Ohio statehood in 1803, Ames Township citizens decided to establish a stock-owned circulating library. Since cash was scarce during Ohio's frontier era, some citizens paid for their $2.50 shares by the sale of animal pelts, . . . — Map (db m15540) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — 4-5 — Ohio University
[Marker front] Manasseh Cutler, Rufus Putnam, Winthrop Sargeant, and Benjamin Tupper of the Ohio Company conceived Ohio University, which was encouraged by the Ordinance of 1787 and the Northwest Territorial Legislature in 1799, . . . — Map (db m15564) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — 9-5 — Ohio UniversityPeden Stadium
Ohio University’s Peden Stadium is the oldest of the Mid-American Conference stadiums and one of the oldest of its type in the country. It was dedicated in 1929 with a victory over Miami University. The stadium served as housing for the influx of . . . — Map (db m42162) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Glouster — 3-5 — Hisylvania Coal Company Mine No. 22
Approximately 150 feet east stood the Hisylvania Coal Company Mine No. 22 tipple, in use from 1912 to 1925. The company name was derived from combining “Ohio” and “Pennsylvania,” home states of its founders. Coal came from . . . — Map (db m15573) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — O-257 — Hocking Valley Railway
The arrival of the Columbus and Hocking Valley Railroad in 1869 led to the decline of the Hocking Canal and assured Nelsonville's prominence as a major shipping point of coal and industrial products. The portion of the railway from Logan in . . . — Map (db m43240) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Nelsonville — 6-5 — The Hocking Valley Coal Strike1884-1885
Side A: Following a wage reduction from 70 to 60 cents per ton after many Hocking Valley coal mines consolidated in 1883, the Ohio Miners' Amalgamated Association struck on June 23, 1884. The operators responded by offering an even smaller . . . — Map (db m37019) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Cridersville — 4-6 — Town Pond Reservoir Cridersville's Great Fire of 1918
Side A: The Village of Cridersville was founded in 1856. With the discovery of oil in 1885 the village prospered and grew quickly. Its business district developed along Main Street in the first block east of the railroad. The Town Pond . . . — Map (db m28668) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — 2-6 — The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen
The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen Begun in 1833, the Miami Extension linked the Miami Canal in Dayton to the Wabash & Erie Canal at Junction. Engineering difficulties, epidemics and the Panic of 1837 delayed completion of the Extension . . . — Map (db m20023) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Knoxville — 7-6 — New Knoxville: The Ladbergen Kinship
Side 1 The history of New Knoxville provides one of the best examples of chain migration to America. After the Shawnee were removed from what would become Auglaize County, James Knox Lytle, cousin to James Knox Polk, purchased land in . . . — Map (db m92310) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — 5-6 — Dayton and Michigan Railroad
Side A The Dayton and Michigan Railroad provided the single most important impetus to the growth and development of Wapakoneta. Although Wapakoneta had been platted in 1833, at the time of incorporation (1848), "the town was still without any . . . — Map (db m12406) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — 6-6 — The Shannon Stock Company
Side A: The Shannon Stock Company, also known as Shannon's Famous Players, was a traveling theatre company based in Wapakoneta from 1913 until the Great Depression. Founded by Harry Shannon, the group included his wife Adelaide, their . . . — Map (db m29924) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — 8-7 — Captina African Methodist Episcopal Cemetery
This cemetery stands as evidence of a once thriving African American farming community established in the 1820s. With the aid of community leader, Alexander "Sandy" Harper (c.1804-1889), Captina, originally called Guinea, became a stop on the . . . — Map (db m79263) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — 7-7 — Governor Wilson Shannon 1802-1877 / Barnesville’s Shannon Family
Governor Wilson Shannon (1802–1877), Ohio, first native-born governor, Wilson Shannon was born in February 1802 in the Mt. Olivet area near Barnesville. After attending Ohio University and studying law in Kentucky, he returned to Belmont . . . — Map (db m21055) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — 19-9 — Watt Car and Wheel Company
Joseph Watt and son James H. started a small foundry in 1862 making plow points, window sash weights, and heating stoves. Later, brothers Stewart, Ross, and John W. joined and the name became J.H. Watt and Brothers. Securing a patent for a . . . — Map (db m26750) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — 16-7 — Bellaire High School Clock Tower / Central School Clock Tower and Bell
Side 1 Bellaire High School Clock Tower The Bellaire High School Clock Tower was erected in 1925 as the second town clock to be mounted on Bellaire’s public schools. C.W. Bates of Wheeling designed this tower, built by C.D. Keyser & . . . — Map (db m78492) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — 18-7 — Cornelius D. Battelle, Methodist Circuit Rider / The First United Methodist Church, Bellaire
Side 1 Cornelius D. Battelle, Methodist Circuit Rider Cornelius D. Battelle was born July 13, 1807 in Washington County, Ohio. He entered the Methodist Episcopal Church on October 30, 1825 and the Pittsburgh Methodist Conference in . . . — Map (db m78493) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — 9-7 — Imperial GlassGem of "The Glass City"
With ready access to raw materials, fuel, skilled labor, and transportation, the Ohio Valley became the center of the American glass industry during the late 1800s. Among dozens of local manufacturers, the Imperial Glass Company, founded in 1901 by . . . — Map (db m28439) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — 14-7 — The Great Stone Viaduct
Construction of this Great Stone Viaduct began in 1870 at Union Street as an Ohio approach to the railroad bridge spanning the Ohio River. It was completed to Rose Hill in April 1871, and the entire bridge span connecting Ohio to West Virginia, of . . . — Map (db m28436) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — 15-7 — Union Square and its Uses / The Question of Ownership
Side 1 Union Square and Its Uses Labeled "Union Square" on the first village maps, block 12 of the City of Bellaire was formed by joining portions of the Harris and Rodefer Farms in 1857. Used for tent shows, circuses, political . . . — Map (db m78494) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Belmont — 5-7 — Harley E. Warrick(1924–2000)
The last barn painter for the Bloch Brothers Tobacco Company of Wheeling, West Virginia, Harley Warrick painted thousands of barns with the familiar Mail Pouch Tobacco logo over his 48-year career. Mail Pouch transcended advertising to become a . . . — Map (db m1035) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Belmont — 2-7 — Mile Marker
The earliest highway signs along the National Road (Route 40) in Ohio were milestones located at one-mile intervals along the north side of the roadway. Each stone indicated the distance to Cumberland, Maryland, the eastern terminus of the National . . . — Map (db m78496) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Blaine — 11-7 — Blaine Hill "S" Bridge / Blaine Hill Viaduct
Blaine Hill "S" Bridge The first Blaine Hill Bridge was constructed in 1828 as part of the National Road, the nation's first federally funded highway. This three-arch S-shaped structure, 345 feet in length, spans Wheeling Creek (a tributary of . . . — Map (db m12618) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bridgeport — 4-7 — Historic Bridgeport
Colonel Ebenezer Zane, one of the founders of Wheeling, laid out the village that became Bridgeport in 1806 on the site of Fort Kirkwood (1789). Originally named Canton, it acquired its present name after the bridge to Wheeling Island was built. The . . . — Map (db m515) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Elizabethtown — 1-7 — Mile Marker
The earliest highway signs along the National Road (Route 40) in Ohio were milestones located at one-mile intervals along the north side of the roadway. Each stone indicated the distance to Cumberland, Maryland, the eastern terminus of the National . . . — Map (db m21058) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Martins Ferry — 3-7 — Walnut Grove Cemetery
Side A: The Walnut Grove Cemetery is the burial place of members of the Zane and Martin families. Their graves lie within the brick enclosure. The cemetery is also the resting-place of many early Martins Ferry residents, including veterans of . . . — Map (db m28444) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Martins Ferry — 12-7 — William Dean Howells / James Arlington Wright
Side A: William Dean Howells "The Dean of American Letters" Author, editor, and social critic William Dean Howells (1837-1920) was born in Martins Ferry, the son of an itinerant printer and publisher. Self-educated, Howells learned the . . . — Map (db m28477) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Morristown — 10-7 — Morristown
Platted in 1802 by John Zane and William Chapline along the old Wheeling Road. Morristown was named for Duncan Morrison, an early settler, innkeeper, and Justice of the Peace. Older than the state itself. Morristown prospered into the mid-1800s, . . . — Map (db m287) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Powhatan Point — 13-7 — Powhatan Point
First surveyed in 1849, Powhatan Point was laid out by Franklin Knox. The "point" is the confluence of Captina Creek and the Ohio River. The small but thriving river and farming community served York Township and the rich Captina Valley as a . . . — Map (db m78499) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Powhatan Point — 6-7 — The Coal Industry at Powhatan Point / Powhatan Disaster, 1944
Side 1 The Coal Industry at Powhatan Point The Pittsburgh No. 8 coal seam, located 100 feet below river level at Powhatan Point, extends across much of eastern Ohio, western Pennsylvania, and northern West Virginia. The Cleveland and . . . — Map (db m78501) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), St. Clairsville — 17-7 — Governor Arthur St. Clair 1734-1818
Born in Scotland. From 1787-1802, was first governor of the Northwest Territory, which included Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and part of Minnesota. St. Clair established territorial court system and Ohio’s first nine counties . . . — Map (db m76511) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Georgetown — 3-30 — General Thomas Lyon Hamer1800-1846 — Teacher-Lawyer-Congressman-Soldier
Master Mason (1824), Georgetown Lodge No. 72, Free and Accepted Masons. "...Hamer was one of the ablest men Ohio ever produced. I have always believed that had his life been spared, he would have been President of the United States..." . . . — Map (db m70909) HM WM
Ohio (Brown County), Georgetown — 1-8 — Ulysses S. Grant Boyhood Home
U.S. Grant, general-in-chief of the Armies of the United States, 18th president and first native Ohioan to be elected chief executive, lived in this house from 1824 to 1839. Jesse R. Grant, his father, built the original part fronting Water Street . . . — Map (db m70910) HM WM
Ohio (Butler County), Bethany — 45-31 — First Jain Temple in Ohio / History of Jainism in Ohio
Side A: First Jain Temple in Ohio "Souls render service to one another" The Jain Center of Cincinnati and Dayton was established on April 22, 1979 as a non-profit tax-exempt organization under the laws of the United States and the State of . . . — Map (db m24073) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Busenbark — 8-9 — Busenbark / Dr. Charles F. Richter1900 - 1985 — An originator of the Richter Scale
Side A: Busenbark In 1833, Robert Busenbark deeded land to the directors of School District No. 6 for Busenbark School. Twenty years later, Robert and son David granted a right-of-way on their property for a station on the Cincinnati, . . . — Map (db m28533) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — OHS 2- 9 — Bethel Chapel 1815- 1873Historic Bethel Presbyterian Cemetery
William Holmes McGuffey, author of the Eclectic Series of Readers, was ordained a Presbyterian minister in a log meeting house on this site in 1829. The ordination was performed by Robert Bishop, President of Miami University, and other ministers . . . — Map (db m107745) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — OHS 31- 9 — Bunker Hill / Dog Town
Bunker Hill The Millville, Reilly and Milton Turnpike brought prosperity to the village now renamed Bunker Hill. School House No. 10 stood nearby from 1849-1857. By 1860 clothing manufacturing was the major business here. A Post Office was . . . — Map (db m107801) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 22-9 — Butler County Courthouse
Side A: Butler County was created on March 24, 1803, about three weeks after Ohio became a state. Hamilton won the competition for the county seat, thanks to Israel Ludlow, Hamilton's founder. Ludlow's donation of the public square secured . . . — Map (db m28546) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 3-9 — Champion Hamilton Mill
Side A: The Champion Coated Paper Company began production here April 15, 1894, with nine employees under the direction of Peter G. Thomson (1851-1931), a Cincinnati businessman, who had incorporated the firm in November 1893. Thomson, . . . — Map (db m28547) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 7-9 — Lane-Hooven House
Side A: James Elrick, a local carpenter, built the Lane-Hooven House in 1863 for Clark Lane (1823-1907), a Hamilton industrialist and philanthropist. Lane, who first came to the area at age twenty-one as a blacksmith, resided in the house for . . . — Map (db m28775) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 10-9 — Rossville Historic District
Side A: Rossville was settled in April 1801 shortly after the U.S. Government initiated land sales west of the Great Miami River. Its original proprietors--John Sutherland, Henry Brown, Jacob Burnet, James Smith and William Ruffin--named . . . — Map (db m28790) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 25-9 — Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument"Victory, the Jewel of the Soul"
Side A: Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument The Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument was planned and promoted by Butler County Civil War veterans and financed by a county levy in 1899. The monument, built of Indiana Limestone, is . . . — Map (db m30705) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 12-9 — William Dean Howells
Author William Dean Howells (1837-1920) spent his boyhood from 1840 to 1848 in Hamilton. Called the "Dean of American Letters," Howells wrote 35 novels, 35 plays, 34 miscellaneous books, 6 books of literary criticism, 4 books of poetry, and . . . — Map (db m28772) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Miltonville — 5-9 — Village of Miltonville
The village of Miltonville, located along the banks of Elk Creek, was platted in 1816 by George Bennett, Theophilus Eaglesfield, and Richard V. V. Crane. The creek served two grist mills, one built around 1804 and operated by a free black, Bambo . . . — Map (db m28776) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Okeana — 26-9 — 1858 Morgan Township House / Copperheadism in Butler County
Side A: 1858 Morgan Township House On April 20, 1857, the trustees of Morgan Township met in Okeana to obtain a lot for the township house. From a quarter mill tax levy, $850 was budgeted for a house and lot. Money expended on the project . . . — Map (db m24000) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Okeana — 1-31 — Birthplace of William BebbGovernor of Ohio — 1846-1848
Edward Bebb, father of William Bebb and first Welshman to settle in Paddy's Run, Morgan Township, Butler County purchased this cabin in 1801. Originally the cabin stood four miles southeast of this site on the Dry Fork of the Whitewater River. It . . . — Map (db m24001) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 33-9 — Bunker Hill Universalist Church/Bunker Hill Cemetery
(side A) Bunker Hill Universalist Church The Bunker Hill Society was organized about 1845 and fellowshipped in 1854. A frame meeting house, capable of seating 300, was dedicated in 1855. Thirty people united with the church . . . — Map (db m107789) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — OHS 9- 9 — Freedom Summer 1964
In what was called the "Freedom Summer" of 1964, more than 800 volunteers, most of them college students, gathered at the Western College for Women (now Western Campus of Miami University) to prepare for African-American voter registration in the . . . — Map (db m107802) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 15-9 — Langstroth Cottage / Lorenzo Langstroth"The Bee-Man of Oxford"
Side A: Langstroth Cottage Reverend Lorenzo Langstroth, renowned as "The Father of American Beekeeping," lived in this simple two-story, eight-room house with his wife, Anne, and their three children from 1858 to 1887. Unchanged externally, the . . . — Map (db m24009) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — OHS 29- 9 — Mother of FraternitiesAlpha Delta Phi
In 1833, Samuel Eells founded Alpha Delta Phi (ΑΔΦ), the first fraternity west of the Allegheny Mountains and the first fraternity at Miami University. The formation of Miami's Alpha (founding) chapters followed in the next two . . . — Map (db m107741) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — OHS 32- 9 — Oxford Female Institute / Caroline Scott Harrison 1832-1892
Oxford Female Institute Chartered in 1849, the Institute was the first of three women's colleges established in Oxford. The original brick building was completed in 1850, and forms the core structure. The Reverend John Witherspoon Scott, a . . . — Map (db m107675) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 11-9 — The Black (Pugh's Mill) Covered Bridge
Front One of the few remaining covered bridges in southwestern Ohio and the only one in Butler County on its original site, this bridge was built in 1868-1869 to give access to a saw and grist mill owned by James B. Pugh on Four Mile . . . — Map (db m86977) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 13-9 — The DeWitt Family / The DeWitt Log Homestead
Side A: The DeWitt Family Zachariah Price DeWitt was born of a Dutch family in New Jersey in 1768. With brothers Jacob and Peter, he migrated to Kentucky where, in 1790, he married Elizabeth Teets, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1774. By . . . — Map (db m24064) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 27-9 — The Doty Settlement / The Pioneer Farmstead
Side A: The Doty Settlement As Oxford Township was developing in the mid-1800s, a cluster of farmsteads near its northern border was designated the "Doty Settlement." As was the custom, the community took its name from a prominent family in . . . — Map (db m24015) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 23-9 — The Restoration Movement / Doty Settlement Cemetery
Side A: The Restoration Movement In the early years of the nineteenth century, a religious unrest known as the Second Great Awakening spread across much of the American frontier. Among the most influential of the evolving religious . . . — Map (db m24051) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 14-9 — William Holmes McGuffey House
Side A: William Holmes McGuffey (1800-1873) was a Miami University faculty member in 1836 when he compiled the first edition of the McGuffey Eclectic Reader in this house. His Reader taught lessons in reading, spelling, and civic . . . — Map (db m24012) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Shandon — 17-9 — Paddy's Run
Side A: The foundation for the first Welsh settlement in Ohio was laid on June 29, 1801, when William and Morgan Gwilym purchased land in what is now Morgan Township at the Cincinnati Land Office. The Welsh, who settled in Pennsylvania beginning . . . — Map (db m23991) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Trenton — 18-9 — The Village of Trenton / The Elk Creek Baptist Church and Cemetery
Side A: The Village of Trenton Platted 1816. Incorporated as Village 1895. Became a city 1971 Trenton's founder, Michael Pearce, came to the area in 1801. The original village of 33 lots was named Bloomfield. When the post office was . . . — Map (db m28792) HM
Ohio (Butler County), West Chester — 20-9 — The Voice of America Bethany Station
During the height of World War II, President Franklin Roosevelt turned to the innovative engineers of the Crosley Broadcasting Corporation to build powerful short wave radio transmitters capable of delivering broadcasts overseas. On farm fields . . . — Map (db m23994) HM
Ohio (Carroll County), Carrollton — 1-10 — The Fighting McCooks and the Civil War
Major Daniel McCook of Carrollton and his 9 sons and their cousins, the 5 sons of Dr. John McCook of Steubenville, won popular acclaim for their outstanding service in the United States Army an Navy. “TRIBE OF DAN” Maj. Daniel: . . . — Map (db m290) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Cable — 28-11 — Lincoln Funeral Train
President Abraham Lincoln's assassination on April 14, 1865, created a national tragedy, and the nationl mourned as his body was transported by rail from Washington, D.C. back to Springfield, Illinois, where he would be buried. As the nine-car . . . — Map (db m84946) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Christianburg — 2-11 — Marion A. RossIn Memory of
Born here October 9, 1832. Attended Antioch College. Member of Mt. Olivet Masonic Lodge. Enlisted in the 2nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment and volunteered for the famous Andrews Raid. The raiders seized "The General" locomotive at Big Shanty, . . . — Map (db m76518) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Mechanicsburg — 16-11 — Addison White
Side A: Congress passed Fugitive Slave Laws in 1793 and 1850, allowing federal marshals to arrest slaves that had escaped to the North and take them back to their southern owners. They could also arrest northerners suspected of aiding . . . — Map (db m13760) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Mechanicsburg — 23-11 — James Roy Hopkins
Side A: James R. Hopkins was born May 17, 1877, in Irwin and graduated from Mechanicsburg High School in 1895. As a child, he gained exposure to art through his mother, Nettie, an accomplished self-taught water colorist. Hopkins enrolled at . . . — Map (db m13729) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Mechanicsburg — 9-11 — Joseph E. Wing
Joseph E. Wing was one of the first persons to identify, promote, and grow alfalfa as a forage crop east of the Mississippi River. He developed his interest in alfalfa while in Utah, where he worked on a cattle ranch. When he returned, Wing began . . . — Map (db m13761) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Mechanicsburg — 25-11 — Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church
The Mechanicsburg United Methodist congregation was founded in the early nineteenth century and met first in open-air camp meetings before moving into a small log school building. In 1820 the congregation built a wood framed church on East Sandusky . . . — Map (db m13730) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Mechanicsburg — 19-11 — Second Baptist Church
Side A: This site has long served the religious, education, and public interests of the residents of Mechanicsburg. A local Methodist congregation built its first church here in 1820, and the townspeople also used the structure as its . . . — Map (db m13731) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), North Lewisburg — 20- 11 — Friends Church / Friends Cemetery
Friends Church Among the earliest settlers to Rush Township were members of the Religious Society of Friends or Quakers, who emigrated from the eastern states, mostly Pennsylvania and North Carolina. At first religious services were held in . . . — Map (db m86266) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), St. Paris — 22-11 — A. B. Graham
Albert B. “A. B.” Graham was born in Champaign County on March 13, 1868, the son of Joseph and Esther Graham. He was raised in a small rural home, but a fire destroyed the house in 1879, and the family moved to Lena where Graham attended . . . — Map (db m13789) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), St. Paris — 24-11 — Lincoln Funeral Train
President Abraham Lincoln's assassination on April 14, 1865, created a national tragedy, and the nation mourned as his body was transported by rail from Washington D.C. back to Springfield, Illinois, where he would be buried. In Champaign County, . . . — Map (db m13790) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 8- 11 — 1950 National and Ohio Plowing MatchesAgricultural Events in Rural Champaign County
Side A Benson Road and the North Urbana Lisbon Road (SR 54) in Champaign County was the site of the 1950 National and Ohio Plowing Matches and the National Associa- tion of Soil Conservation Districts Field Days. The three-day . . . — Map (db m86249) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 5-11 — Bailey and Barclay Halls / Johnny Appleseed
Side A: Bailey and Barclay Halls Urbana University was established by the Swedenborgian Church in 1850. Bailey Hall (1853), named after Francis Bailey (1735-1815), was designed by W. Russell West, architect of the Statehouse of Ohio. Bailey . . . — Map (db m13808) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 29- 11 — Billy "Single" Clifford /Clifford Theater
Billy "Single" Clifford Wm. C. Shyrigh, better known as Billy Clifford, was born in this house on January 24, 1869, to Levi and Sarah Shyrigh. Coming from a musical family, he developed an early interest in music and practiced with the . . . — Map (db m90489) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 6- 11 — Cedar Bog Nature Preserve
In 1942 Cedar Bog became the first nature preserve in Ohio purchased with state funds. Efforts to set this wetland aside began in the 1920s through the efforts of Florence Murdock and her daughter. Efforts intensified in the mid 1930s with help . . . — Map (db m90503)
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 15-11 — Dayton, Springfield, and Urbana Electric Railway
[Marker Front]: The Dayton, Springfield, and Urbana Electric Railway (DS&U) was an “Interurban” rail system that ran between the cities of Urbana, Springfield and Dayton. Its beginning can be traced to the franchise given to . . . — Map (db m13811) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 1-11 — Harmony Lodge No. 8 Free and Accepted Masons
A group of Freemasons, inspired by the concepts of a new country, of Freedom with Responsibility, Brotherly Love, and Truth, formed Harmony Lodge near this site in 1809, the first Masonic lodge in western Ohio. Meetings were held in the log court . . . — Map (db m13820) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 3-11 — In Memory of Simon Kenton
Simon Kenton who is buried here. During the Revolutionary War he frequently served as scout under George Rogers Clark and later praised Clark for his role in saving the Kentucky settlements. Kenton's Indian captivity of 1778-79 acquainted him with . . . — Map (db m34088) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 13-11 — John Anderson Ward Farmstead / John Quincy Adams Ward & Edgar Melville Ward
Side A: John Anderson Ward Farmstead John Anderson Ward had this Federal style house constructed from 1823-1825 on land inherited from his father, Urbana's founder Colonel William Ward. The Colonel's will stipulated that a local mason . . . — Map (db m13822) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 12- 11 — Kings Creek Baptist Church
Side A The founders of what would become the Kings Creek Baptist Church first met on June 29, 1805 in the log home of local residents James and Ann Turner. The Baptist congregation continued to meet in people's homes until 1816 when . . . — Map (db m84858) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 26-11 — Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad
The Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad Company was chartered by the State of Ohio in January 1832 to connect west central Ohio with northern Ohio and Lake Erie. It was the first company to be incorporated for railroad purposes in the state. . . . — Map (db m13824) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 27-11 — Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad
Champaign County residents James [sic-Joseph] Vance (1786-1852) and John H. James (1800-1881) were among the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad's first officers, serving as president and treasurer, respectively. Vance emerged as a leader in the War of . . . — Map (db m13825) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 30-11 — Pennsylvania Railroad Depot
(side A) Construction of the Columbus, Piqua, and Indiana Central Railroad started in 1850 and was finished in 1854. Later referred to as the "Panhandle Railroad," it ran from Columbus to Bradford. During the Civil War, the line carried . . . — Map (db m93853) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 31-11 — President Lincoln’s Funeral Train in Urbana
(Side A) The nine-car funeral train for President Abraham Lincoln departed Washington, D.C. on April 21, 1865. It arrived in Urbana on April 29 at 10:40p.m. Urbana’s citizens erected an arch of evergreens and flowers near the station . . . — Map (db m84960) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 21-11 — The Johnson Manufacturing Company
Side A: The Johnson Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1902 by brothers James B., J. Will, Isaac T., and Charles F. Johnson, all of Quaker heritage. The company manufactured tin and galvanized iron ware for railroad lines across the . . . — Map (db m13823) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 32-11 — The Underground Railroad in Champaign County / Lewis Adams
The Underground Railroad in Champaign County The inhumanity of slavery and the Fugitive Slave Acts of 1793 and 1850 motivated anti-slavery activists to operate a covert network, the "Underground Railroad," which helped fugitive slaves . . . — Map (db m78141) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 34- 11 — War Council of 1812Old Grave Yard
side A- War Council of 1812 To confirm that the Treaty of Greenville would be upheld, Ohio Governor Return J. Meigs called a council with Native Americans June 6-9, 1812. He sought approval to cross native land when marching to Canada and . . . — Map (db m81636) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 11-11 — Warren G. Grimes / Grimes Field
Warren G. Grimes Raised in an Ohio orphanage, Warren G. Grimes (1898-1975) ran away after finishing the ninth grade and at age 16 went to work for the Ford Motor Company in Detroit. He later became a partner in an electrical business where he . . . — Map (db m13818) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 17- 11 — William OwenFirst Settler in Mad River Township, Champaign County, Ohio
Virginia native William Owen, 1769-1821, is credited with being the first American to settle in Mad River Township, Champaign County sometime between 1797-1799. He and his family built a cabin in the northeast quarter of Section 15 directly west . . . — Map (db m86157) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), West Liberty — 10-11 — Mt. Tabor Church / Mt. Tabor Cemetery
Mt. Tabor Church Side A: The first Mt. Tabor Church, a log meetinghouse, was erected on this site in 1816. It stood on land originally selected by Griffith and Martha Evans for a graveyard at the death of their daughter circa 1812. Deeds show . . . — Map (db m13769) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), West Liberty — 7-11 — Ohio Caverns
In 1897, a farm boy investigating the disappearance of water into a sinkhole in a nearby field discovered this system of subterranean passageways. Digging down a few feet, he found an opening to a cave that had begun forming perhaps several thousand . . . — Map (db m13775) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Westville — 18-11 — Harvey Haddix
Baseball great Harvey Haddix was born on September 18, 1925, and grew up on a farm just south of Westville. He attended Westville School until March 1940 and played his first organized baseball at this site. Entering Major League Baseball in 1952, . . . — Map (db m13888) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Woodstock — 24-11 — Lincoln Funeral Train
President Abraham Lincoln's assassination on April 14, 1865, created a national tragedy, and the nation mourned as his body was transported by rail from Washington, D.C. back to Springfield, Illinois, where he would be buried. On its way the Funeral . . . — Map (db m84945) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Woodstock — 31- 11 — Universalist ChurchClassic Architecture and Art in Rural Ohio
Rev. George Messenger and his congregation built the first Universalist Church on this site. It was dedicated during a state convention of Universalists in Woodstock in June 1844. In 1893, Rev. John A. Carpenter was instrumental in erecting a . . . — Map (db m85116) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Woodstock — 33-11 — Warren Sibley Cushman1845-1926
(Side A) Warren Cushman was a respected painter, sculptor, photographer, musician, and inventor. He created the towering Cushman monument in Woodstock’s Rush Township cemetery and is believed to have shown his painting “Spanish . . . — Map (db m84931) HM
Ohio (Clark County), North Hampton — 5-12 — Springfield, Troy, & Piqua Electric Railway
[Marker Front]: Asa Bushnell, former Governor of Ohio, encouraged by the light grade of the land, decided to establish the Springfield, Troy, and Piqua Railway (ST&P) in July 1904. The interurban traction line utilized sixty-pound rail and . . . — Map (db m13890) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 2-12 — City Building
The Old City Building and Market, also known as the Municipal Building or Marketplace, was designed by local architect Charles A. Cregar. It was completed in 1890 at a cost of $250,000. Vendors, who sold meats, fish, provisions, vegetables, and . . . — Map (db m13309) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 1-12 — Davey Moore Park
Davey Moore was the Featherweight Champion of the World from 1959 to 1963, punching his way to a 56-6-1 record while always admitting that "Only 10 seconds separate me from being champion or nothing." A tough little boxer with a powerful punch, he . . . — Map (db m13277) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 4-12 — Pennsylvania House / The National Road
Pennsylvania House David Snively built the Federal-style Pennsylvania House in 1839 along the newly constructed National Road. This tavern and inn was an important stopover for livestock drovers and pioneers traveling by foot, on horseback, or . . . — Map (db m13278) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 7- 12 — Robert C. Henry
Robert Clayton Henry, the first African- American mayor of an Ohio city, was born in Springfield, Ohio on July 16, 1921. He attended Springfield High School and graduated in 1939. After high school, he attended Wittenberg University and the . . . — Map (db m103392) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 3-12 — The Birthplace of 4-H
A. B. Graham, superintendent of Springfield Township Rural schools in Clark County, established the "Boys and Girls Agricultural Experiment Club," which revolutionized agricultural education and non-formal youth development methods. The first . . . — Map (db m13216) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Georgetown — 7- 13 — Utopia
Utopia was founded in 1844 by followers of French philosopher Charles Fourier (1772-1837). Fourierism, based on utopian socialism and the idea of equal sharing of investments in money and labor, reached peak popularity in the United States about . . . — Map (db m99948) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Goshen — 11- 13 — Goshen School Building
Side A In 1907, the Goshen School Building, later known as both Goshen Intermediate School and Sheila Green Elementary, was erected. The two-story, buff-colored, pressed-brick building was the first attempt at school consolidation in Goshen . . . — Map (db m99433) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — 11- 13 — First Methodist ChurchOldest in the Old Northwest Territory
Founded in 1797 in the log cabin of the Reverend Francis McCormick, the Milford Methodist Church is the oldest of the denomination in the Northwest Territory and Ohio. Pioneer worshipers walked many miles through the wilderness to attend its circuit . . . — Map (db m99541) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — 9- 13 — Henry Clark Corbin / Colclazer Run
Henry Clark Corbin Henry Clark Corbin was born September 15, 1842 and reared here on the family farm along Colclazer Run near Laurel. He attended public school and the private Parker Academy in nearby Clermontville. After teaching school and . . . — Map (db m99622) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — 8- 13 — Mt. Zion Chapel / Mt. Zion Cemetery - Lafayette School
Mt. Zion Chapel The Mount Zion Chapel of the Christian Church was built in 1872 on this hill adjacent to the members' cemetery outside of Clermontville. The site was part of a two-acre parcel that had been secured from the farm of William R. . . . — Map (db m99887) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — 6- 13 — New Richmond
Prior to the Civil War, New Richmond citizens participated actively in the abolitionist movement and the Underground Railroad. In 1836, James G. Birney published The Philanthropist, an abolitionist newspaper, in New Richmond before moving . . . — Map (db m99708) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Point Pleasant — 4-13 — Grant Memorial Bridge
The cast iron nameplate mounted on the walkway is one of two that were formerly located on the original Grant Memorial Bridge. The original steel truss structure was constructed from 1925-1927 by the Brookville Construction Company, Brookville, . . . — Map (db m44952) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Point Pleasant — 5-13 — U. S. Grant Birthplace
Hiriam Ulysses Grant was born in this one-story, timber frame home on April 27, 1822 to Jesse and Hannah Simpson Grant. The Grants settled in Point Pleasant the previous year, and Jesse took charge of the tannery located near the cottage. Now . . . — Map (db m44829) HM
Ohio (Clinton County), Port William — 3-14 — Gilbert Van Zandt
Port William is the birthplace of Gilbert Van Zandt, quite possibly the youngest enlistee in the Union Army during the Civil War. Born on December 20, 1851, "Little Gib" joined the ranks of Company D, 79th Ohio Volunteer Infantry at the age of ten . . . — Map (db m27836) HM
Ohio (Clinton County), Wilmington — 6-14 — Indian Trails of Clinton County
Side A: Clinton County was a major center of activity for the Shawnee, Miami, and Delaware Indians. Early traces and trails developed as Indians traveled from village to village; gathered flint, salt and gold; traded furs, mica, and feldspar; . . . — Map (db m27827) HM
Ohio (Clinton County), Wilmington — 5-14 — Wilmington College
The 19th century saw a great migration of Quakers from the Carolinas and from eastern Ohio to southwestern Ohio. Attracted by rich soil and abundance of fresh water and springs, Quakers became the dominant religious group in the region. Clinton . . . — Map (db m27837) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Clarkson — 10-15 — Death of Pretty Boy Floyd
(front) In these fields, formerly the site of the Ellen Conkle farm, notorious Depression-Era desperado Charles Arthur "Pretty Boy" Floyd met his death at the hands of federal agents and members of the East Liverpool Police Department on . . . — Map (db m39894) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Columbiana — 11-15 — Harvey S. Firestone
Inventor, industrialist, and philanthropist, Harvey Samuel Firestone (1868-1938) was born on a nearby farm in 1868 and attended school in Columbiana. He founded the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company in 1900 and soon after developed a method for . . . — Map (db m48139) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Columbiana — 8-15 — Log House Museum
Joshua Dixon selected this site in 1805 as the center for Columbiana. The first local post office, established at this museum location in 1809, pioneered free mail delivery in 1837. The museum, an early log home in the village, was moved here . . . — Map (db m268) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — 4-15 — First Paper Mill / Little Beaver Creek Bridge
Front Text: First Paper Mill The first paper mill in Ohio and the Northwest Territory was established in the valley below in 1807 by John Coulter of Virginia, Jacob Bowman and John Beaver of Pennsylvania. The mill was in St. Clair . . . — Map (db m62960) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — 9-15 — Gateway To The Northwest
Near this site on September 30, 1785, Thomas Hutchins, first Geographer of the United States, drove a stake: This was the "Point of Beginning" of the Geographer's Line for the survey of the first "Seven Ranges" of six-mile square townships in . . . — Map (db m44155) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — 18-15 — Land Ordinance of 1785 / The Seven Ranges
Side A:Land Ordinance of 1785In April 1784, the Continental Congress adopted the Report of Government for the Western Territory, a broad plan drafted primarily by Thomas Jefferson for organizing the United States' new western lands . . . — Map (db m44156) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — 16-15 — Ohio's Gateway
Fawcettstown, later to become East Liverpool, marked the first Ohio community to be encountered by early river travelers as they headed toward new challenges and new lives in the expanding nation. Indian canoes, flatboats, and steamboats carried . . . — Map (db m49713) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — 12-15 — Riverview Cemetery
(front) Envisioned as a rural cemetery with careful attention to landscaping design and symmetrical lots, the Riverview Cemetery was established in 1883 on forty acres of land. The chapel was a gift to Riverview from the Grand Army of the . . . — Map (db m49715) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — 13-15 — The Pottery Capital of America
For nearly a century, East Liverpool dominated the United States pottery industry. Drawn to easily accessible clay deposits and ready river transportation, British-born potter James Bennett established the first commercial pottery here in 1841. His . . . — Map (db m49711) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — 7-15 — Thomas J. Malone Bridge / Gaston's Mill
"Thomas J. Malone Bridge" This covered bridge stood in the 1870s over Middle Run, on State Route 154, between Lisbon and Elkton, Elkrun Township. It was converted to a storage shed and moved twice by the Elkrun Township Trustees. Mr. . . . — Map (db m44754) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Elkton — 1-15 — Church Hill Road Bridge / Timber Covered Bridges
This covered bridge, over Middle Run, Elkrun Township, Columbiana County, is the shortest covered bridge in the United States still standing on a once-used public highway, having a clear span of 19 feet and 3 inches. It is an example, rarely found . . . — Map (db m370) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Hanoverton — 5-15 — Birthplace of Catholicism in Northern Ohio
About a mile south in St. Paul's Cemetery, the Reverend Father Edward J. Fenwick, "Pioneer Apostle of Ohio," organized the first Catholic parish in northern Ohio. The first mass was celebrated in the log house of Daniel McCallister. A century and a . . . — Map (db m66536) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Hanoverton — 3-15 — Canal Tunnels
Southeast of this point are the Big and Little tunnels. They were links in the 73-mile Sandy and Beaver Canal which connected the Ohio River with the Ohio and Erie Canal. Shifts of Irish laborers worked night and day with hand drills and blasting . . . — Map (db m66538) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Leetonia — 17-15 — Cherry Valley Coke Ovens
Believed to have been constructed in 1866, this facility is one of the largest of its kind in the nation. The complex of 200 ovens was erected by the Leetonia Iron and Coal Company, later known as the Cherry Valley Iron Works, to supply fuel for . . . — Map (db m66540) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Salem — 3-50 — Maple-DellBuilt 1848
Maple-Dell was the home of John Butler, a Quaker who expressed his religious faith by working for humanitarian causes. An early Goshen Township teacher, Butler opened his home to orphans, the homeless, and runaway slaves, and devoted 20 years of his . . . — Map (db m78944) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Salem — 15-15 — Teegarden-Centennial Covered Bridge / Teegarden
Side A:Teegarden-Centennial Covered Bridge The Teegarden-Centennial Covered Bridge, constructed primarily of white oak is of Multiple King Post design spanning 67 feet. It was built nearly 100 years after the birth of the nation. . . . — Map (db m66539) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Salem — 14-15 — Unserheim
Unserheim, meaning "Our Home" in German, is the name of this ante-bellum Queen Anne style home, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. From 1857-1878, it was home to Daniel Howell Hise, a Quaker and ardent . . . — Map (db m65429) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — 1-16 — Bouquet’s Expedition
1764. Lt.Col. Henry Bouquet with 1500 British regulars and American Militia penetrated the Ohio wilderness to crush Chief Pontiac’s Indian conspiracy. Here at the forks of the Muskingum River during October and November, Bouquet subdued the . . . — Map (db m3286) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — 5-16 — The Coshocton County Courthouse
In 1764, Colonel Henry Bouquet established the site of what is now Coshocton. In 1811, the county was founded and the town incorporated as the county seat. The Coshocton County Courthouse, the third on this site, was built between 1873 and 1875 by . . . — Map (db m298) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Plainfield — 3-16 — George W. Crile, M. D.(1864 - 1943)
[Marker Front]: George Washington Crile was born in 1864 at Chili, in Crawford Township, Coshocton County. Before embarking on his notable medical career, he graduated from Northwestern Ohio Normal School (now Ohio Northern University) at . . . — Map (db m15178) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Plainfield — 4-16 — Plainfield Cemetery
This cemetery, established in 1810, is the final resting place of many of the founders of Plainfield and Linton Township. Besides the early date of its founding, it is notable for the number of armed forces veterans interred here, who represent . . . — Map (db m15275) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe Village — 7-16 — Underground Railroad Agents in Coshocton County / Muskingum River Underground Railroad Corridor
Side A: The acknowledged host of the Underground Railroad in Coshocton County was Prior Foster, a well respected African American who lodged fugitive slaves in his shanty at Harbaugh Corner. He fed, sheltered, and clothed them and then . . . — Map (db m36227) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Warsaw — 2-16 — Colonel William Simmons1757 - 1823
Served in the Continental Army under the command of General Washington. Appointed as Accountant of the War Department by Washington and served under Presidents Adams, Jefferson and Madison. For his services in the Continental Army, received a land . . . — Map (db m14872) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), West Lafayette — 25-25 — KoquechagachtonChief White Eyes
In the early 1770s, Chief White Eyes (Koquechagachton) of the Delaware tribe founded White Eyes Town approximately two miles southeast of this marker on a plain near present day West Lafayette. A friend of the Moravian leader David Zeisberger, White . . . — Map (db m15175) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Bucyrus — 4-17 — SeccaiumThe Battle of the Olentangy — Removed, Restored, Re-Located
On the banks on the Olentangy River, at the bend where the stream turns southwest, is the legendary site of Seccaium. This 17th century village was located on the portage to the Sandusky River, and was recognized by Indians as a neutral ground . . . — Map (db m80440) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Bucyrus — 5- 17 — The Sandusky PlainsA Geological Feature of North Central Ohio
The Plains lay south and west of the Sandusky River, bounded by the Olentangy River on the east and Tymochtee Creek on the west. The local black prairie soils mark the extent of the grasslands, which were uncommon in the dense eastern forests. . . . — Map (db m94535) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Galion — 9-17 — Big Four Depot
This Depot, dedicated on December 27, 1900, served as division headquarters for the Cleveland, Chicago, Cincinnati, and St. Louis railroad, commonly called the Big Four. Peak passenger usage occurred during and after World War I when 32 trains . . . — Map (db m20370) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), New Washington — 8- 17 — The Village of New Washington / The New Washington Band
The Village of New Washington Nicknamed "Dutchtown" for the many German families that settled in this area, New Washington was platted in 1833 by George Washington Meyers, who arrived in Cranberry Township in 1826. Prominent Austrian . . . — Map (db m94708) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Tiro — 6- 17 — Knisley Springs Farm
Long known to the Indians for the mineral spring water, this land was purchased in 1819 by Samuel Knisley. After 1880 it was developed as a resort area by Dr. Jerome Bland, who also established a cattle and horse breeding farm. In 1930 the land . . . — Map (db m94709) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 61-18 — Baldwin University
In 1845, Baldwin Institute, one of the first schools in the area open to all students regardless of gender, race, or creed, was chartered. The wealth generated by the sandstone and grindstone industries of Berea allowed John Baldwin to found the . . . — Map (db m3536) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 18-18 — Berea District Seven School
A find example of the district school building common to Ohio int he early years of the twentieth century. This two-room, red-brick schoolhouse was completed in 1913. Accommodating elementary school children in east Berea and adjacent areas of . . . — Map (db m3532) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 16-18 — Berea Sandstone Quarries
For more than ninety years, this area was the heart and soul of Berea's sandstone quarries. In the early 1830s, John Baldwin discovered that the area's sandstone deposits made superb grindstones and building stones. in the 1840s, thriving sandstone . . . — Map (db m5516) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 43-18 — Berea Union Depot
Ohio from the time of its construction in 1876 until its closing in 1958, is an unusual, but well-designed example of Victorian Gothic Architecture. With the development of an expanding stone quarry industry in the area, Berea and its railroad . . . — Map (db m997) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 18-82 — First Congregational United Church of Christ of Berea
Seven original members, who were staunch abolitionists, organized the First Congregational Church of Berea in the nearby Union School House on June 9, 1855. These members publicly articulated opposition to slavery and their desire for a church with . . . — Map (db m3539) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 23-18 — Lyceum Square
On this site the Lyceum Village and the Berea Seminary were established in 1837 by John Baldwin, Jame Giruth, Henry O. Sheldon, and Josiah Holbrook. Their vision was to create the first in a connected series of Lyceum Villages. The Villages were . . . — Map (db m3538) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 16-18 — The “Big Quarry”
The photograph looks north to the buildings on East Bridge Street, which constituted the northern boundary of Berea’s sandstone quarries around 1895. The photographer stood approximately where you are standing. “Gradually the water came, . . . — Map (db m3548) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 42-18 — The Ark
The ARK in Berea is the first structure in Cuyahoga County to incorporate sustainable building concepts from the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992. Hand built in 1994 as a work of art by environmental artists David and Renate Jakupca, it is a . . . — Map (db m23221) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Berea — 20-18 — The Berea Triangle
The Triangle, one of the most historic places in Berea, has been the center of the city’s civic life since the mid-19th century. Just beneath lie the solid layers of the famous Berea Sandstone that brought prosperity to Berea durign its early years. . . . — Map (db m53428) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Chagrin Falls — 56-18 — The Cleveland Grand Prix
In July 25, 1965, near 10,000 spectators traveled to the Cleveland Metroparks Polo Field to witness the first-ever North American horse show jumping grand prix — the Cleveland Grand Prix. The event gave birth to the multi- million-dollar sport . . . — Map (db m103457) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 55-18 — 'Abdu'l-Bahá and the Bahá'í Faith
'Abdu'l-Bahá (1844-1921) visited Cleveland on His historic journeys to Europe and North America to proclaim the message of His Father, Bahá'u'liáh, Prophet-Founder of the Bahá'í Faith. Together they suffered 40 years of imprisonment and exile, which . . . — Map (db m17950) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 46-18 — Birthplace of Rock 'n' Roll
When radio station WJW disc jockey Alan Freed (1921-1965) used the term "rock and roll" to describe the uptempo black rhythm and blues records he played beginning in 1951, he named a new genre of popular music that appealed to audiences on both . . . — Map (db m17955) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 74-70 — Camp Cleveland
Opened in July 1862, the 35 1/2-acre site here in Brooklyn Township's University Heights served as the largest Civil War army camp of rendezvous, organization, and training in northeast Ohio. It was bordered by Hershel (now West 5th) and University . . . — Map (db m17949) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 33-18 — Cataract Falls
Formed by erosion of Cleveland shale and cascading 48 feet, making it the tallest waterfall in the county, the Cataract Falls of Mill Creek powered the gristmill and sawmill built by William Wheeler Williams and Major Wyatt in 1799. The mills, . . . — Map (db m21071) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 59-18 — Charles Waddell Chesnutt
Charles Waddell Chesnutt was born in Cleveland on June 30, 1858 and died November 15, 1932. He has been called "The pioneer of the color line" and was an author, crusader for racial and social justice, humanitarian, and forerunner of the Harlem . . . — Map (db m17649) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 37-18 — Cleveland Grays
The Cleveland Grays were organized by statute in 1837 as an independent volunteer militia company. The Grays were the first company to leave Cleveland for service during the Civil War. In April 1861, they were designated Company E, 1st Ohio . . . — Map (db m17902) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 32-18 — Cleveland Theater District
The Theater District, bound by Chester Avenue, Prospect Avenue, East 18th, East 9th and East 12th Streets, came into being at the turn of the 20th century, when Cleveland emerged as a thriving metropolis. Built between 1890-1928, the area hosted a . . . — Map (db m17951) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 81-18 — Cuyahoga County Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument
This monument, dedicated July 4, 1894, honors Cuyahoga County men and women, who performed military and patriotic duties during the Civil War (1861-1865). William J. Gleason (1846-1905), army veteran and local businessman, proposed its creation in . . . — Map (db m17862) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 65-18 — Detective Martin J. McFadden
On October 31, 1963, the actions of Cleveland Police Detective Martin J. McFadden led to a new legal standard allowing police officers in the United States to stop and frisk suspicious persons prior to committing a crime. On that day McFadden had . . . — Map (db m17952) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 17-18 — Dunham Tavern
Dunham Tavern is the oldest building still standing on its original site in the City of Cleveland. Once a stagecoach stop on the old Buffalo-Cleveland-Detroit road (modern Euclid Avenue), the tavern dates from 1824. The structure was built by Rufus . . . — Map (db m11818) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 90-18 — Erie Street Cemetery
Side A In 1826, when Cleveland's first cemetery closed, Cleveland village trustees paid Leonard Case Sr. one dollar for eight acres of land and dedicated it as the Erie Street Cemetery. Built on what became prime property, the cemetery . . . — Map (db m102722) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 40-18 — Frances Payne Bolton
Frances Payne Bolton (1885-1977) was the first woman from Ohio to serve in the United States Congress. Elected in 1940 to complete the term of her late husband, Chester C. Bolton, Mrs. Bolton represented the 22nd District for 28 years. Her life long . . . — Map (db m11927) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 60-18 — Garrett A. Morgan
Garrett Augustus Morgan was an African American businessman and prolific inventor of devices that made people's lives safer and more convenient. Born on March 4, 1877 in Claysville, the Black segregated section of Paris, Kentucky, Morgan migrated . . . — Map (db m17895) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 47-18 — Home of Superman
Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, two Glenville High School students imbued with imagination and talent and passion for science fiction and comics, had dream become reality in 1932. They created Superman, the first of the superheroes ever to see print. . . . — Map (db m18238) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 77-18 — James Mercer Langston Hughes
One of the most recognized figures of the Harlem Renaissance, Langston Hughes was born in Joplin, Missouri on February 1, 1902 and moved to Cleveland by the time he was in high school. An avid traveler, he credited his years at Central High School . . . — Map (db m17648) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 38-18 — John D. Rockefeller, 1839-1937 / The Standard Oil Company
John D. Rockefeller, 1839-1937 Born at Richford, New York, John D. Rockefeller moved to the Cleveland area with his family at age 14. He began his business career as a bookkeeper in 1855. From modest beginnings he became one of the richest . . . — Map (db m17907) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 7-18 — John W. Heisman Birth Site
Here was born (October 3, 1869) the man after whom the Heisman Football Trophy is named. The College Football Hall of Fame enshrines him as superior coach. Important pioneer game innovator. Father of: forward pass; center snap; interference on end . . . — Map (db m17908) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 44-18 — Journalist Dorothy Fuldheim
One of America's most admired women, pioneer television newscaster Dorothy Snell Fuldheim (1893-1989) began her career as a lecturer in the 1920s and entered broadcasting with a biographical series on WTAM radio in Cleveland. In 1947, Fuldheim . . . — Map (db m17897) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 57-18 — Karamu House
Karamu House, Incorporated was established in 1915 as the Playhouse Settlement, one of Cleveland's many settlement houses for migrant and immigrant communities. Initiated by the Men's Club of the Second Presbyterian Church, in 1915 Oberlin College . . . — Map (db m17771) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 13-18 — League Park
League Park opened on May 1, 1891, with the legendary Cy Young pitching for the Cleveland Spiders in their win over the Cincinnati Redlegs. The park remained the home of Cleveland's professional baseball and football teams until 1946. In 1920 the . . . — Map (db m17770) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 77-18 — Rear Admiral Isaac C. Kidd
Isaac Campbell Kidd, Sr. was born in Cleveland in 1884. He entered the United States Naval Academy in 1902 and dedicated his life to the Navy. While an ensign, he sailed around the world with the "Great White Fleet" from 1907 to 1909. During the . . . — Map (db m17956) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 76-18 — Sarah Benedict House
The Sarah Benedict House is a rare survivor of the once fashionable Upper Prospect neighborhood that included "Millionaires Row" on adjacent Euclid Avenue. Sarah Rathbone Benedict had this Queen Anne-inspired house built in 1883, when she was 68, . . . — Map (db m11821) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 1-18 — The ArcadeAn Historic Landmark in Architecture — Built 1890
Designed by John M. Eisemann and George H. Smith as a big city mercantile center. The five-story galleries connect the ten story towers facing the city's two main thoroughfares. Of unique architectural design and of daring construction, its exterior . . . — Map (db m17857) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 72-18 — The Burnham MallThe Group Plan of 1903
In August 1903, architects Daniel H. Burnham, John M. Carrére, and Arnold W. Brunner presented Mayor Tom L. Johnson and the City of Cleveland a plan that epitomized the City Beautiful Movement in America. The Group Plan envisioned a grand landscaped . . . — Map (db m17954) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 87-18 — The Cozad-Bates House / Anti-Slavery and Abolition
The Cozad-Bates House is one of the oldest remaining structures in Cleveland's University Circle. The original section, built circa 1853, is the only pre-Civil War residential structure left in the neighborhood. Built by Samuel and Jane Cozad's son, . . . — Map (db m11850) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Cleveland — 79-18 — The Ohio AFL-CIO
Following the national merger of the American Federation of Labor (AFL) and the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO) in 1955, more than 2,000 labor delegates representing one million union members convened at the Cleveland Public Auditorium . . . — Map (db m17953) HM

1085 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 885
Paid Advertisement