The Helium Monument was moved from its former location at I-40 and Nelson Street to this location on December 16, 1982. The 8 ½ ton stainless steel monument was moved around the southern limits of Amarillo, by an Army 'Chinook' helicopter from . . . — — Map (db m91716) HM
The Big Texan Steak Ranch opened in 1960 on Route 66, ten years later Interstate 40 opened & Route 66 was bypassed. This created an immediate catastrophic drop in business, forcing founder Bob (RJ) Lee to move the Big Texan to I-40 or lose the Big . . . — — Map (db m120441) HM
A star of the age of steam transportation. Pride of Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway, which came into Texas in 1886, has its Panhandle and Santa Fe General Offices in Amarillo, and served much of this area.
Manufactured at the cost of . . . — — Map (db m91673) HM
Designed by local contractor J. D. Singleton and built for the widow of prominent Texas Ranger and rancher W. R. Curtis, the Alice Victoria Ghormley Curtis House was erected in 1906-1907. Mrs. Curtis (1869-1923) moved to Amarillo after her husband's . . . — — Map (db m91595) HM
This plant, operated by the United States Bureau of Mines, was the first to produce helium from the extensive helium resources in the Texas Panhandle. From 1929 until 1943, it furnished almost all of the world's supply of helium.
Operating around . . . — — Map (db m91718) HM
Established to serve the first permanent industry in the Texas Panhandle--ranching. Now famed for handling more cattle than any other commission auction company in the United States.
The years 1874-1878 saw Indians expelled, buffalo herds . . . — — Map (db m91696) HM
The Natatorium, an open air building surrounding a swimming pool that measured 36' by 101', opened in July 1922. "The Nat" was enclosed in 1923 for year round use. In 1926 the building was converted into a dance hall with 10,000 square feet of maple . . . — — Map (db m119943) HM
Amarillos American Legion Post, organized in July 1919, is one of the oldest in Texas, formed two months after the groups organizational caucus in St. Louis. The post, which officially received its charter in Sep. 1919, is named for David T. . . . — — Map (db m91639) HM
When this Santa Fe Railway general office building was erected in 1928, the remains of a mammoth were excavated from the basement and were placed in the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum, Canyon, Texas.
The extinct American mammoths were . . . — — Map (db m91613) HM
Avery and Mary (Ten Eyck) Turner moved here in 1902. Avery was an executive for the Santa Fe Railroad, his employer for 58 years. Mary helped organize the local American Red Cross chapter and was active with the Salvation Army and other groups. In . . . — — Map (db m91578) HM
Created by Ant Farm
Copyright 1974 (Lord Marquez, Michels)
All Rights Reserved
Stanley Marsh 3, Owner
In May 2002, Cadillac Ranch, one of the most recognizable landmarks on Route 66, became the 11th landmark to be restored as part of . . . — — Map (db m50369) HM
Noted Amarillo architect Guy Carlander designed and Byron Singleton built this house in 1925 for early Amarillo business and civic leaders Clarence and Lorraine Eakle. The house exhibits elements of the Tudor Revival style and features an arched . . . — — Map (db m91539) HM
Marker on left side of statue
Dash for Cash
By Rocket Wrangler out of Find a Buyer (TB), Dash for Cash combined speed, athletic ability, conformation, intelligence and a good disposition. Foaled in 1973, the stallion started 25 races . . . — — Map (db m55942) HM
Prominent Amarillo architect Guy A. Carlander designed this dramatic craftsman "airplane bungalow" for the Clarence M. Eakle family. Built in 1923, it features a "cockpit-like" upper floor and sweeping multiple gable roofs. Flared oriental and arts . . . — — Map (db m91569) HM
On the old _X (LX), first ranch in Potter County, established in 1877 by W.H. Bates and D.T. Beals, Boston (Mass.) industrialists. The earliest burials occurred after the LX was sold, 1884, to American Pastoral Land and Cattle Company, a British . . . — — Map (db m88792) HM
The discovery well in the vast Panhandle-Hugoton Gas Field, largest known gas field in the world, is located one mile east of this point on the east slope of John Ray Butte.
The geological structure was discovered by Dr. Charles N. Gould in . . . — — Map (db m104870) HM
In 1926, Charles A. Fisk, president of the Amarillo Bank and Trust, and other investors commissioned this skyscraper designed by Amarillo architect Guy A. Carlander and built by the Gilsonite Contracting Co. of Dallas. The building formally opened . . . — — Map (db m91638) HM
Southwest of this marker are dim traces of overland trail to connect river ports of Fort Smith and Van Buren, Ark. with Santa Fe, a trade and travel center since 1609. This road was pioneered by Josiah Gregg, a Santa Fe trader who first passed this . . . — — Map (db m62313) HM
Pioneered transportation in the old buffalo and Indian frontier and the open-range cattle empire. Organized by Fort Worth citizens. Although chartered by the Texas Legislature on May 26, 1873, the actual building was delayed by the money panic of . . . — — Map (db m91695) HM
Acknowledged world leader in petroleum conservation.
A third generation Texan. Left college for World War I, earning battlefield promotion to Lieutenant Colonel—youngest in the U.S. Army. In 1930 gained national recognition as . . . — — Map (db m88797) HM
This is a three sided markerSide A:
Josiah Gregg (1806 1850), prompted by ill health, set out with a caravan from Independence, Missouri, for Santa Fe, New Mexico, on May 15, 1831. During a period of . . . — — Map (db m91697) HM
Built 1902 in 500 block, South Buchanan, by principal early developer of Amarillo, Henry Bradley Sanborn (1845-1912). At original site were also owner's office building, carriage house, stables for six coach horses, and a deer park. After death of . . . — — Map (db m91596) HM
Constructed in 1912 for lumber merchant H.W. Galbraith (d. 1936) and his wife Kate (d. 1969), this two-story residence reflects the Craftsman style. Exhibiting quality materials in the clapboards, exposed rafters, and shingled roof, the house also . . . — — Map (db m91579) HM
Erected 1968, commemorating the 100th Anniversary of discovery of helium in the gaseous atmosphere surrounding the sun. (The discovery of traces of helium on earth was first announced in 1895.)
The four time columns are filled with books, . . . — — Map (db m91715) HM
In 1875 Henry B. Sanborn (1845-1912) began a long association with the State of Texas when he became the Texas sales agent for Joseph F. Glidden's newly patented invention, barbed wire. A native of New York, Sanborn had become . . . — — Map (db m91672) HM
Built in 1910 for ranchers Will and Eula Jo Day Herring, this Classical Revival style house features a pedimented entry portico with paired colossal order columns, a wraparound porch with Ionic columns, and a Palladian bay window on its south side. . . . — — Map (db m91571) HM
Amarillo's status as the “Helium Capital of the World” can be traced back to the efforts of one man, Jack B. Kelley.
Kelley was born in 1916 in Sherman, Texas and moved to Amarillo in 1925. He attended Amarillo High School and in . . . — — Map (db m91717) HM
This is a two sided markerFront:
Self Sacrifice of Padre Fray Juan de Padilla – 1544
Built to the glorious and perpetual memory of Father Fray Juan de Padilla, O.F.M. Franciscan Missionary, first martyr . . . — — Map (db m91599) HM
Cowboy, lawyer, state official and jurist. Born in Arkansas, Browning received only a few months formal education, but taught himself by reading at night by the dim light of a pine knot. At 16, he came with his family to Cooke County, Texas, . . . — — Map (db m88796) HM
Prominent Amarillo architect Guy Carlander designed this structure in 1924 as part of a larger hospital complex. The Panhandle oil boom of the 1920s strained municipal and medical facilities and a public teaching hospital was built. The complex . . . — — Map (db m91705) HM
Organized September 1889 by 16 charter members. In 1890 built this meeting house at 500 Pierce. First belfry consisted of cedar posts. Baptistry was filled by water buckets, while hot rocks warmed it in wintertime. Ladies Aid Society members . . . — — Map (db m91600) HM
Architect Guy Carlander designed this administration building for Amarillo College. It was built in 1936-37 and later named for George Ordway, who with James Guleke obtained legislative authority to establish the school. The L-plan building consists . . . — — Map (db m91566) HM
During the 20th century, Polk Street was home to three public schools. The first opened in 1900 to meet the needs of the rapidly-growing Amarillo community. Bounded by Polk, Tyler, 12th and 13th Streets, the Red Brick School house supplied space for . . . — — Map (db m91601) HM
Named for Robert Potter, Secretary of the Navy (1836) and Senator (1840-42) of the Republic of Texas.
In territory ranged by Apache, Arapaho, Cheyenne, Comanche, and Kiowa Indians, and since 1600 familiar to Spanish military parties and French . . . — — Map (db m91641) HM
Young and Bexar Territories
Created August 21, 1876
Organized August 30, 1887
Named in honor of
1800 – 1842
Signer of The Declaration of
Secretary of the Navy
Senator in the . . . — — Map (db m117780) HM
Organized in August 1887, Potter County erected its first courthouse in 1888 in old town Amarillo. The building was constructed by Mays, Hightower, and Jackson for a cost of $191.
Over the years, three more courthouses were built as Amarillo and . . . — — Map (db m91643) HM
The Potter County free library was organized in 1902 by twelve local women. Many citizens donated books, and held bazaars, candy sales, and other activities to raise money to purchase more books. Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Willis donated a lot and house for . . . — — Map (db m91640) HM
The mighty "Fridge" chilled rivals while he embodied greatness and captured hearts. The first to break the $2 million mark in earnings, he won the Champion of Champions (GI) a record three consecutive times. Bred by Sonny Vaughn of Wayne, . . . — — Map (db m55940) HM
Colonel, USAF, NASA Astronaut, and Mission Commander of the STS-107 Space Shuttle Columbia. Columbia disintegrated upon final re-entry February 1, 2003. All seven astronauts lost their lives.
Rick Husband was Amarillo's native son. He loved his . . . — — Map (db m91646) HM
Commonly called the "Main Street of America" and also the "Mother Road," Route 66 became the first paved transcontinental highway in the U.S. spanning from Chicago to Los Angeles, the route in Texas crossed 7 panhandle counties over 177 miles. Route . . . — — Map (db m91706) HM
The administration building and the gymnasium were the first two permanent structures built for Amarillo College. Originally known as Badger Gymnasium for the school's athletic teams, this facility was renamed to honor Dr. Natalie Russell, who . . . — — Map (db m91568) HM
Marker on front side of statue
Shown in halter competition, Sacred has earned multiple AQHA World Champion and Reserve World Champion titles. The 1995 chestnut mare also has won the All American Quarter Horse Congress multiple . . . — — Map (db m55943) HM
Built in 1928-30 at a cost of $1,500,000, this structure was designed by Santa Fe Railroad architect E. A. Harrison. The 14-story building was the tallest in Amarillo until the 1970s, and housed the offices and division headquarters of the Santa Fe . . . — — Map (db m40843) HM
This residence, built for cattleman J.D. Shuford, was completed in 1913. Designed by the Kansas City architectural firm of Shepard, Farrar, and Wiser, the house reflects the Prairie School style with its hipped roof and wide eaves. Other prominent . . . — — Map (db m91580) HM
This house was built for early Amarillo settlers James Bynum and Marie Lowery Smith c. 1904, and was originally located at 1101 south Taylor Street. The home was purchased in 1945 by Jesse A. Rogers, who planned to move his car dealership to the . . . — — Map (db m91714) HM
Established by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word in 1899, St. Mary's Academy was originally located in Clarendon (60 mi. SE). In 1913 the institution was moved to Amarillo through the efforts of The Rev. David H. Dunn and the local . . . — — Map (db m91597) HM
Established by W. H. Bates and D. T. Beals, Colorado merchants and ranchers on the Arkansas River since 1870. "Crowded conditions" there resulted in moving herd and brand to the Panhandle of Texas in 1877 — three years after Indians were . . . — — Map (db m88793) HM
Construction of a railroad across the Panhandle led to the founding of Amarillo as County Seat of Potter County, Aug. 30, 1887.
For the ensuing ten years, Amarillo had a monopoly on trade from the South plains, and was the nation's largest rural . . . — — Map (db m91612) HM
Prominent area rancher Lee Bivins (1862-1929) built this elegant town home in 1905. The brick and stone structure features classical styling. In addition to his large cattle operation, Bivins pioneered much of the Panhandle's oil and gas . . . — — Map (db m91602) HM
This region and much of western America was mapped under adversity, as territory held by hostile Indians. With the dual aims of compiling scientific data and opening the way for settlers, U.S. Army topographers covered ground earlier traversed . . . — — Map (db m88794) HM
At various times this playa lake served as a reliable water source for buffalo, wild horses, nomadic Native Americans, explorers, cattle drivers, traders, and pioneers traversing the high plains. The lake area, also called Amarillo Lake, became the . . . — — Map (db m91698) HM
The Frying Pan Ranch was founded in 1881 by Amarillo Pioneer Henry Sanborn and J.F. Glidden, the inventor of barbed wire. The partnership was dissolved in 1894. Glidden sold the ranch to his son-in-law, W.H. Bush, who later endowed the free library . . . — — Map (db m91713) HM
This house was built in 1925 as a joint project of a real estate development firm and the local evening newspaper. The Tudor revival style red brick dwelling has a steeply pitched cross gabled roof, massive chimney, low walled terrace and . . . — — Map (db m91540) HM
Land for this cemetery was given by T. B. and Hattie M. Clisbee in 1891, although a number of burials had already taken place by that time. The earliest known burial, that of Lillian Morrow, occurred in 1888. According to local legend, she was a . . . — — Map (db m91538) HM
Terry Thompson (1879-1948) began his career as an Amarillo businessman. He wed Georgie Sneed (1879-1972), daughter of prominent cattleman Joe Sneed, in 1908. He soon established Thompson Ranch in Moore County and also succeeded in real estate . . . — — Map (db m91541) HM