Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Berkeley, California Historical Markers

 
"Annie's Oak" Marker - Wide Shot Showing the Marker and the "New" Oak image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 26, 2009
"Annie's Oak" Marker - Wide Shot Showing the Marker and the "New" Oak
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — "Annie's Oak"City of Berkeley Landmark — Designated in 1986
Here a venerable oak tree was saved by Annie Maybeck (1867-1956), wife of architect Bernard Maybeck. She is said to have "marched off to city hall" to protest the cutting of native trees during street paving early in the 20th Century. She and other . . . — Map (db m18562) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — “A People’s History of Telegraph Avenue”
Mural designed by Osha Newmann, painted with O’Brien Thiele, Janet Kranzberg, Daniel Galvez and many others Painted in 1976 Restored and enlarged in 1999 City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1990 The mural on this wall was painted . . . — Map (db m54696) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Allenoke ManorCoxhead and Coxhead, Architects — 1903
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1986 Allenoke is the only large estate remaining near the northern edge of the University of California campus. It was designed by Ernest Coxhead for Allen Freeman, President of the Bank of Oakland. . . . — Map (db m53888) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — American Baptist Seminary of the West - Hobart HallCity of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1999 — Julia Morgan, Architect, 1919
This compact complex of buildings linked by a series of arcades and academic quads in the English tradition was created to house one of Berkeley's oldest seminaries. Hobart Hall, designed by Julia Morgan, is notable for its elaborate brickwork, . . . — Map (db m50801) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — American Photoplayer Co.Cooper Woodworking Buildings — 1912-1920
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1986 Over the years this complex housed Cooper Woodworking, the Sperry Flour Company, the American Photoplayer Company, and other industrial and manufacturing enterprises. American Photoplayer manufactured . . . — Map (db m53818) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Annie and Bernard Maybeck HouseBernard Maybeck, Architect — 1933
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1990 In 1901 architect Bernard Maybeck purchased ten acres of land here in La Loma Park. He built a sprawling brown shingle home for his family down the street in 1909 and subdivided the rest of his land . . . — Map (db m53862) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Armstrong College BuildingWalter H. Ratcliff, Architect — 1923
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1994 “To Inculcate the Highest Standards and Ideals in Business.” That lofty aim, incised high on the façade of this graceful Spanish Colonial building, guided Armstrong College for more . . . — Map (db m54513) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Barker BuildingA.W. Smith, Architect — 1905
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1978 James Loring Baker was an early Berkeley landowner, developer, and civic leader. He was one of the signers of the incorporation papers for the Town of Berkeley and it was he who delivered them to . . . — Map (db m54332) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Benjamin Ide Wheeler House and GardenEdgar A. Mathew, Architect, 1900 — Louis Hobart, Architect, 1911
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1986 When prominent educator Benjamin Ide Wheeler became president of the University of California in 1899, he and his wife built this spacious home. They entertained many dignitaries here, including . . . — Map (db m53890) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — 908 — Berkeley City Club
The Berkeley City Club, organized in 1927, was one of the area’s earliest attempts by women to social, civic and cultural progress. The building, constructed in 1929, is one of the outstanding works of noted California architect Julia Morgan, whose . . . — Map (db m100562) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley City HallBakewell and Brown, Architects, 1908 — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1975
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places This was Berkeley’s City Hall from 1909 to 1977. It sits on the site of the Town Hall that burned in 1904. It remains a source of civic pride and a symbol of Berkeley. Now commonly known as . . . — Map (db m52398) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley High School Industrial Arts and Science (G and H Buildings)Henry H. Gutterson and William Corlett, Sr., Architects — Jacques Schnier and Robert Howard, Sculptors
1939-1940 City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1982 These buildings are fine examples of the Art Deco style in the Bay Area. They were designed as an ensemble with the adjacent Berkeley High School Community Theater. Bas-reliefs and . . . — Map (db m54218) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Municipal PierBerkeley History — 1926
Berkeley's original shoreline was about where Second Street and the eastern side of Aquatic Park are located today. In 1853 a private wharf was built at the foot of what is now Delaware Street, and a working waterfront with factories and piers . . . — Map (db m36487) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Municipal Rose GardenCity of Berkeley Landmark - Designated in 1995 — Vernon M. Dean, Landscape Architect - 1933-1937
The Rose Garden was a joint creation of the City of Berkeley and the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA), whose public works provided employment during the Depression. Vernon M. Dean, the City's landscape architect, designed the garden in a . . . — Map (db m18618) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Piano ClubWilliam L. Woollett, Architect, 1912
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2005 The Berkeley Piano Club, dedicated to the performance and study of music, was founded in 1893 by a group of local women. Early meetings were held in members’ homes and later in a barn at the . . . — Map (db m54726) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Public LibraryCity of Berkeley Landmark - Designated 1982
James W. Plachek, Architect, 1930 Addition, Ripley/BOORA Architects, 1999 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places Berkeley’s first free public library system was established in 1895, with branches in west and south Berkeley. The . . . — Map (db m52364) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Veterans Memorial Grove
[Marker #1] In Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice in the World War C T Vinther • J T Gimbel • A H Ohman Berkeley Parlor No 210 Native Sons of the Golden West [Marker #2] This Tree . . . — Map (db m54338) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Y.M.C.A.City of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1990 — Benjamin G. McDougall, Architect - 1910
Originating among working class Englishmen in 1844, the Young Men's Christian Association was brought to North America in 1851 to promote a "full and balanced life" through religious devotion and athletic activity. Berkeley's charter organization . . . — Map (db m50295) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Bowen’s Inn/Higgins GroceryCirca 1854 — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1985
This building, thought to be Berkeley’s oldest remaining structure, originally stood on the Contra Costa Road, now San Pablo Avenue. Built by Captain William J. Bowen when the area was sparsely populated, it served as an inn, saloon, grocery store, . . . — Map (db m53831) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Chamber of Commerce/Wells Fargo BankWalter H. Ratcliff, Jr., Architect, 1925-27 — City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated 1984
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places For nearly a half century, this steel frame and concrete structure, clad in brick and terra cotta, was Berkeley’s only “skyscraper.” Walter Ratcliff, highly respected for his fine . . . — Map (db m52316) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Charles W. Woodworth House1905
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1993 Entomologist, naturalist, physicist, and inventor Charles W. Woodworth designed and built this all-redwood house in the Bay Region style. The three-level, seven-bedroom home has a brown shingle . . . — Map (db m54877) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Church of the Good ShepherdCharles L. Bugbee, Architect, 1878 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
This is Berkeley's oldest remaining church building and the oldest church in the East Bay still in continuous use by its founding congregation. The one-story Victorian Gothic-style building was built here on what was Bristol Street, before it was . . . — Map (db m28503) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — City Hall AnnexJamers W. Plachek, Architect — 1925
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1984 Constructed in 1925 when Berkeley’s population was growing rapidly, this building accommodated a variety of civic services next to City Hall. The Department of Milk Inspection, which assured the purity . . . — Map (db m54215) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Claremont Court Gate and Street MarkersClaremont Boulevard and Russell Street — John Galen Howard, Architect; 1906
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2005 These entry gates help define one of Berkeley’s most gracious residential areas, Claremont Court, which was designed to attract the growing number of prosperous Bay Area professionals in the early . . . — Map (db m54800) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Claremont Public ImprovementsJohn Galen Howard, Architect — 1905
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1984 Claremont, a 1905 subdivision, was originally part of the 125-acre Edson Adams ranch. Early advertisements for the tract enticed families to leave the noisy, crowded city behind and head for . . . — Map (db m54679) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Daley’s Scenic Park Street ImprovenentsBounded by Le Roy Avenue, La Loma Avenue, La Vereda Road and Hilgard Avenue — The Hillside Club and Town Engineers; 1909
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1983 In the late 1890s a group of concerned women formed the Hillside Club to “encourage artistic homes built of materials complementing the natural beauty of the Berkeley Hills.” The Club soon . . . — Map (db m53886) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Davis-Byrne Building1895 — City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated 1991
This building was originally part of the small commercial district that grew up around Dwight Way Station where Shattuck Avenue commuter trains intersected with the horse-car line that ran up Dwight Way to the California Schools for the Deaf and . . . — Map (db m29581) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Delaware Street Historic DistrictPeriod of Significance, 1854-1910 — City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated 1979
(Rehabilitated and Partially Reconstructed in 1986. William Coburn, Historic Architectural Consultant) In the 1850s, Gold Rush-era farmers and merchants began settling in this rural bayside area. Delaware Street connected Jacob’s . . . — Map (db m52299) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Don Pedro Fages Expedition
This marker designates the area where on March 27, 1772 a scientific team under the auspices of the Empire of Spain stopped on Strawberry Creek to include an observation of is now known as Golden Gate. According to Juan Crespi, diarist, the first . . . — Map (db m42034) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Edward A. Brakenridge HouseIra A. Boynton Designer & Builder (attributed), 1892
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1992 Arriving in Berkeley from Massachusetts, Edward Brakenridge bought property that extended to Rose Street for this large Queen Anne-style residence, a stable, and a carriage house. Ira Boynton, like . . . — Map (db m54512) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Elks Club BuildingWalter H. Ratcliff, Architect — 1913
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1991 Berkeley’s Elks Club, the 1002nd Chapter of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, was founded in 1905, just in time for members to assist those displaced by the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. . . . — Map (db m54262) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Ennor’s Restaurant BuildingJames W. Plachek, Architect — John P. Brennan, Builder; 1923
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2006 This reinforced concrete building with its articulated brick facade and simple classical detailing was built for Harvey and Marie Ennor at a time of energetic downtown development. They expanded a . . . — Map (db m54337) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Everett and Marie Glass HouseWilliam Wilson Wurster, Architect — 1938, 1941
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1995 The Glass House is considered one of the best residential works of Wurster, who was the founding dean of UC Berkeley’s College of Environmental Design. This simply detailed, shed roof house was built . . . — Map (db m53858) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Federal Land BankJames W. Plachek, Architect, 1938 — ELS Architects, 1999
City of Berkeley Landmark designated 1985 The Farm Credit Administration built this structure to house federal agricultural banking and financial agencies, including one of the 12 Federal Land Banks that assisted Depression-era farmers. Features . . . — Map (db m54258) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — First Church of Christ, ScientistBernard Maybeck, Architect, 1910
Roof replacement, accessibility, and seismic improvements: Architectural Resources Group and Degenkolb Engineers, 2007 City of Berkeley Landmark designated 1975 Maybeck’s masterpiece is an Arts & Craft fusion of Romanesque, early Christian . . . — Map (db m55032) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Fox CourtCarl Fox, Designer — 1927-30
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1977 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places This small-scaled complex of one-and two-story buildings is a surprise on a busy street. Arranged along a brick walkway through a garden court, . . . — Map (db m53829) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Framåt Lodge #405Sanford G. Jackson, Architect 1927 — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1997
Berkeley’s large immigrant population in the late 19th and early 20th centuries included many natives of Sweden. The local chapter of the Swedish-American Vasa Order constructed this building as a lodge hall and cultural center. On November 8, 1927, . . . — Map (db m52386) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Frances Albrier(1898-1987) — Champion of Equal Rights and Social Justice
It was just automatic for me to stand up and tell a person, “You’re wrong. You’re mistreating me. You’re discriminatory. Why don’t you give me a chance?” Great generosity coupled with anger at injustice guided the life of . . . — Map (db m54814) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Francis Kittredge Shattuck BuildingCity of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1995
Stone and Smith, Architects 1901 Jim Novosel: The Bay Architects 1998 Berkeley’s transit pattern was established in 1876 when Francis Kittredge Shattuck and James L. Barker brought a spur line of the Central Pacific (later Southern Pacific) . . . — Map (db m52378) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Fullen Market BuildingHenry S. Patton, Builder — 1907-08
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1985 Built by a real-estate developer during the East Bay building boom that followed the 1906 earthquake, this corner store anchored the southwestern boundary of the neighborhood once known as Regents . . . — Map (db m53833) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Gilman HallUniversity of California — Berkeley, California, 1916-1917
Gilman Hall was built in 1916-17 to accomodate an expanded College of Chemistry under the leadership of Gilbert Newton Lewis. This building provided research laboratories and teaching facilities for faculty and students specializing in physical, . . . — Map (db m15870) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Golden Sheaf Bakery AnnexCity of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1978 — Clinton Day, Architect, 1905 * Jim Novosel, Architect, 2000
Listed on the National Record of Historic Places In 1877, English immigrant John G. Wright founded the Golden Sheaf, Berkeley's first wholesale/retail bakery. The original bakery, with a public dining room, stood around the corner on Shattuck . . . — Map (db m50360) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Harpoon Cannon(Whaling Gun)
The whaling gun below this plaque came off the ship; “Cody.” Gib Hunter was the Captain of the ship and was the last of the whalers to operate off the West Coast. Captain Hunter presented this whaling gun to Bud Spenger. — Map (db m52297) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Heywood BuildingCity of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1993
James W. Plachek, Architect 1917 Jim Novesel: The Bay Architects 1994 This small commercial building was built for William Heywood, son of Berkeley pioneer Zimri Brewer Heywood. The upstairs was used as the architectural offices of James W. . . . — Map (db m52382) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Hillside ClubJohn White, Architect, 1924 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2004 The Hillside Club was founded in 1898 by Berkeley women intent on preserving the natural beauty of the hills. It soon became an influential cultural force. North Berkeley’s curved streets with old . . . — Map (db m54186) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Hillside SchoolWalter H. Ratcliff, Jr., Architect, 1925 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1982 Berkeley architect and civic leader Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr. designed the Hillside School as one his last public commissions. The school takes its name from the Hillside Club, an early 20th-century . . . — Map (db m53861) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Historic McGee-Spaulding DistrictBerkeley History
The District was part of the land granted by the king of Spain in 1820 to the Luis Peralta Family. The land was later purchased from Jose Domingo Peralta by four San Francisco businessmen. In 1855, James McGee (1814-1899), a newly arrived Irish . . . — Map (db m29071) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Howard Automobile CompanyFrederick Reimers, Architect, 1930, Hayashida Architects, 2006 — Renovations for the Buddhist Churches of America, Jodo Shinshu Center
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1983 This Zig-Zag Moderne building, designed for the sale and servicing of Buick automobiles, captures the glamour, rising affluence, and sophistication of the post-World War I era. Charles Howard, who . . . — Map (db m54334) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Indian RockBerkeley History
Outcroppings of weathered rock are a prominent feature of the Berkeley Hills, providing evidence of this area’s complex geological past. Composed of Northbrae rhyolite, Indian Rock is an ancient volcanic remnant. Native Ohlone communities gathered . . . — Map (db m53852) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — J. Gorman & Son BuildingConstructed circa 1880 — Additions and renovations 1890, 1906, 1940, 2005
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1982 John and Margaret Gorman moved their furniture and upholstery shop to this location in 1880. It is one of Berkeley's oldest commercial buildings and a surviving example of the . . . — Map (db m29371) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Jensen HouseGeorge Jensen, Builder — 1891
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1996 This is one of the earliest houses built in the north Berkeley hills. George Jensen came from Denmark and was a contractor in Los Angeles before moving to Berkeley. Members of the Jensen family lived . . . — Map (db m53887) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — John Hinkel ParkClubhouse: John Gregg, Designer, 1918 — Amphitheater: Vernon Dean, Designer, 1934
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2001 In 1919 John and Ada Hinkel donated seven hillside areas to the City of Berkeley in appreciation of the Boy Scouts’ service to the nation during the First World War. Before making their gift, the . . . — Map (db m53849) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — John Muir SchoolJames W. Plachek, Architect, 1915, — Collins-Byrens & Gerson-Overstreet, 1976 & Baker/Vilar Architects, 1998
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1983 John Muir School was built beside Harwood Creek on land once part of a 19th-century country estate. The half-timbered style reflects the scale and architecture of the neighborhood and the nearby . . . — Map (db m54682) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Jos. H. McCourt / Bruno L. Putzker
In Memoriam Jos. H. McCourt 1877 – 1900 Co. F. 8th Cal Inf. U.S.V. – Co. I. 35th Inf. U.S.V. ——— Bruno L. Putzker 1880 – 1899 Btry. K. 3rd U.S. Army Berkeley men killed in action in . . . — Map (db m52400) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — La Loma StepsCirca 1910-1916
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1995 When the La Loma Park subdivision was created in 1900, the streets were laid out in harmony with the natural contours of the land as advocated by Berkeley’s Hillside Club. The rustic quality of the . . . — Map (db m53884) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Live Oak Park1914 — Berkeley History
Live Oak Park was created in 1914 when the City of Berkeley purchased four acres from landowners R.S. Penniman and Michael O’Toole. Mr. Penniman’s brown shingle house served as the park clubhouse and also, from 1916-1936, as Berkeley’s North Branch . . . — Map (db m54190) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Longfellow SchoolCity of Berkeley Landmark — designated in 1995
William C. Hays, Architect, 1922 James W. Plachek, Architect, 1930 John Reid, Jr., Architect, 1935 ELS/Elbasani & Logan Architects, 1998 As electric streetcar transportation improved and expanded in the early 20th-century, this section . . . — Map (db m53873) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Lorin Theater(Philips Temple C. M. E. Church) — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1982
Hiram Lovell, Architect, 1910, 1914 James W. Plachek, Architect, 1921 The popularity of early movies created a demand for new spaces to accommodate eager audiences. South Berkeley’s first neighborhood theater with 144 stools for seats was . . . — Map (db m53816) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — McCreary-Greer House1901 — City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated 1986
The McCreary-Greer House and neighboring turn-of-the-century houses on this block are survivors of one of the first residential districts developed around the University campus. This house, with its original garden area and carriage house, . . . — Map (db m52300) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Morse BlockDickey and Reed, Architects — 1906
Charles Dickey, whose firm designed the Claremont Hotel and who practiced architecture extensively in California and Hawaii, designed this building with two residential floors above commercial storefronts. From 1921 to 1935 the ground floor was . . . — Map (db m52313) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Mortar Rock
Mortar Rock takes its name from the many holes worn in these hard lavas by Native American women pounding and grinding acorns and other seeds into meal. This staple food could be stored and later cooked into cakes or porridge. Native Americans . . . — Map (db m53850) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Mrs. E.P. (Stella) King BuildingAlbert Dodge Coplin, Architect — 1901
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2005 This corner store was built for Stella King’s dry goods business and upstairs residence. Until the shop closed in 1923, it was a gathering place where neighbors could find everything from sewing . . . — Map (db m54722) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) ChurchJames W. Plachek, Architect, 1913
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1999 When architect James Plachek was hired at the age of 29 to design this church, it was his first major commission in Berkeley. He later designed many public and commercial buildings, including the . . . — Map (db m54187) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — North Branch Berkeley Public LibraryJames W. Plachek, Architect, 1936
City of Berkeley Landmark Designated in 2001 North Branch Berkeley Public Library James W. Plachek, Architect, 1936 North Branch Library is one of Berkeley’s many civic buildings by James Plachek, including the Central Library (1930), . . . — Map (db m15868) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Northbrae Public ImprovementsJohn Galen Howard, Architect; R.A. Mansell, Landscape Architect 1907 — City of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1992
Berkeley's Northbrae residential subdivision was opened in 1907 by the Mason-McDuffie Company, John Galen Howard - then Supervising Architect of the University of California - designed the Circle and the stairways, benches, and stone pillars used as . . . — Map (db m36674) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Orchard LaneHenry Atkins, Designer — 1909
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1991 One of Berkeley’s romantic treasures, Orchard Lane is the formal pedestrian entrance to the Panoramic Hill residential neighborhood. The walk and grand Classical staircase, complete with pillars, . . . — Map (db m54692) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Panoramic HillListed on the National Register of Historic Places — A National Historic District
Berkeley History The Panoramic Hill Historic District typifies Berkeley’s early hillside neighborhoods. Steep and narrow Panoramic Way, carved out in 1888, opened the hill to residential development. University professors and early Sierra Club . . . — Map (db m54694) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Peet’s Coffee & TeaBerkeley History
A revolution began here in 1966 when Alfred H. Peet (1920-2007) opened his first coffee roastery and store. Arriving in San Francisco in 1955, “Mr. Peet” was dismayed by the poor quality of coffee in his adopted country. He had learned . . . — Map (db m54188) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Philadelphia Quartz CompanyFurnace Room #1 and Mixing Room — Constructed 1917-1918
Berkeley History Reflecting West Berkeley’s early industrial heritage, this plant remains one of the city’s largest brick buildings. Once used to produce chemicals for a cluster of nearby industries that manufactured soaps, cleaning agents, paper . . . — Map (db m53812) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Roos Bros. BuildingMiller and Pflueger, Architects, 1926 — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1984
In 1876 the Central Pacific (later Southern Pacific) Railroad expanded into downtown Berkeley. What is now Shattuck Square was the site of freight yards; Berkeley Station was located on the smaller block to the south. By 1903, as the business . . . — Map (db m52384) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Rose WalkBernard Maybeck, Designer and Architect; 1913 — Henry Higby Gutterson, Architect, 1924-36
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1991 Rose Walk was designed by Bernard Maybeck and completed in 1913 with donations from the neighbors. The walkway linked the Euclid Avenue streetcar line with residences higher on the hill. After . . . — Map (db m53859) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — S.H. Kress Co. StoreEdward f. Sibbert, Architect 1933 — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1981
Samuel H. Kress began his chain of retail stores around 1900 and soon these “five and dime” variety stores dotted downtowns across America. Kress’s own company architects designed stores of high quality and adapted them to fit into the . . . — Map (db m52380) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Santa Fe Railway DepotCharles Frederick Whittlesey, Architect — 1904
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 2001 During the early 20th century, the Santa Fe Railroad provided three-day passenger and freight service between Chicago and the Bay Area. This depot was one of three major rail stations in Berkeley. . . . — Map (db m53828) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Shattuck SquareJames Miller and Timothy Pfleuger, Architects 1926 — City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1984
Shattuck Square is a group of three buildings constructed on the site of a former railroad freight yard, as a northern anchor to Berkeley’s historic downtown commercial district. It is the city’s only work by the San Francisco architectural firm . . . — Map (db m52391) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of David Park’s StudioBerkeley History
In the 1940s painter David Park (1911-1960) had a studio in a brick building that once occupied this site. Despite a well-received exhibition of his abstract expressionist works at the San Francisco Museum of Art in 1948, Park rejected abstraction . . . — Map (db m52388) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of Hunrick Grocery Store1908
City of Berkeley Structure of Merit designated in 1988 German immigrant George Hunrick built one of Berkeley’s many neighborhood groceries on this site when the north Berkeley hills were in an early stage of development. In those days before home . . . — Map (db m54189) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of John Hinkel Livery Stable, 1900Berkeley Farm Creamery Complex — F.E. Armstrong, Contractor, 1910
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1998 By 1900, downtown Berkeley had developed around Shattuck Avenue, its main street. On this site, owned by John Hinkel, stood a brick livery stable run by John Fitzpatrick, the early operator of the . . . — Map (db m54346) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of Napoleon Bonaparte Byrne House1868 — City of Berkeley Landmark
In 1858, prosperous farmer Napoleon Bryne sold his Missouri land and journeyed west with his wife Mary Tanner Byrne, four children and other relatives. Two freed slaves, Pete and Hannah Byrnes, came with the family and became Berkeley’s first known . . . — Map (db m54728) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of Pump House - Peet Brothers/Colgate PalmoliveBerkeley History
In the early 20th century, a thriving manufacturing district grew up in southwest Berkeley. This is the site of a former saltwater pump house, located on what was once the east shoreline of San Francisco Bay. The pumps supplied water used in the . . . — Map (db m54669) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of the Kellogg SchoolBerkeley History
An apple orchard, two houses, and a tailor shop once occupied this block. In 1879, six local businessmen and a university professor financed the purchase of part of the block near Oxford Street as the site for one of the city’s first public schools. . . . — Map (db m54336) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Site of Thousand Oaks School(Demolished in 1998) — William C. Hays, Architect, 1919; Stone and de Sanno, Architects, 1928
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1993 The residential subdivision of Thousand Oaks was incorporated into Berkeley in 1920. On this site, one year earlier, a new school building overlooking Blackberry Creek was built to replace wooden . . . — Map (db m53847) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Soda Works BuildingE.A. Spalding, Contractor 1888
Robert Agers constructed this building to manufacture "the very best soda water" for customers throughout California. The recessed storefronts, second-floor oriel windows, and high false front are all largely unchanged from a 1904 expansion. The . . . — Map (db m29383) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — South Berkeley BankWells Fargo Bank, South Berkeley Branch — John Galen Howard, Architect, 1906
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1982 In the early 20th century, this was one of two banks anchoring the busy Lorin business district’s streetcar intersection. The building remained a bank until the 1980s. Its architecture combines a . . . — Map (db m53815) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Spenger’s Fish Grottoc. 1890 — City of Berkeley Landmark - Designated in 2001
Clam chowder, baked beans and 10¢ beer – these and fish dinners drew crowds to fabled Spenger’s. It all began in the 1860s when Johann Spenger from Bavaria started fishing in the Bay. The gabled structure he built here housed his business and . . . — Map (db m52303) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Strand (Elmwood) TheaterAlbert W. Cornelius, Architect — 1914
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1982 Built as the Strand Theater in the Art Nouveau architectural style, this was one of the neighborhood’s first commercial structures. Admission was ten cents for adults, five for children and the theater . . . — Map (db m54813) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — 22 — Studio Building 1905-06City of Berkeley Landmark No. 22 — National Register of Historic Places
First home of the California College of Arts and Crafts — Map (db m52397) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Temple of WingsBernard Maybeck/A. Randolph Monroe, Architects; 1911 — Edna Deakin/Clarence Dakin, Architects; 1924
City of Berkeley Landmarks designated in 1992 In one of Berkeley’s more eccentric experiments in living, Charles and Florence Boynton built their family residence as a version of a Greco-Roman temple with no walls. Two circular, open-air porches . . . — Map (db m53864) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The 1923 Berkeley Fire
On the morning of September 17, 1923, a grass fire spread from Wildcat Canyon over the hills into Berkeley. Driven by hot, dry winds, the fire spread rapidly across the northeast residential districts of the city, burning as far south and west as . . . — Map (db m54213) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Kelsey RanchBerkeley History
On a once rural site now bordered by Russell Street, College Avenue, and Stuart Street, the Kelsey family planted orchards and grew ornamental plants on land they purchased in 1860. The 24-acre Kelsey Ranch supplied trees and plants for the grounds . . . — Map (db m54691) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Lawrence 37-Inch Cyclotron
This is the electromagnet for the world's first major cyclotron. With it, professor Ernest O. Lawrence and others perfected the difficult cyclotron technology. Originally a 27-inch cyclotron, it was converted to a 37-inch instrument in 1937. . . . — Map (db m91800) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Poetry GardenBerkeley Garden
This garden honors Berkeley’s many innovative poets, poetry presses and publications, and their creative legacy. It was dedicated in 1999 on the second anniversary of “Beat” poet Allen Ginsberg’s death. Through their writings, the . . . — Map (db m54191) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Shuman BlockMcDougall Brothers, Architects — 1906
Berkeley History Horse-drawn wagons once carried goods to the Berkeley Free Market housed here. In 1952 the structure was modernized to accommodate automobile showrooms, with artist studios above. Richard Diebenkorn, Elmer Biscoff, William . . . — Map (db m54333) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Thousand Oaks Neighborhood and UrnsCirca 1909-1910 — Mark Daniels, Landscape Engineer
Berkeley History In the early 1900s, the natural beauty of this undeveloped district, with dramatic rock outcroppings and ancient oaks made it a favorite destination for picnickers and hikers. After a campaign to make the area a city park . . . — Map (db m53848) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Toveri Tupa – Finnish HallAugust Trille, Designer, 1908 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1979 Toward the end of the 19th-century, a large Finnish immigrant community was located in west Berkeley. Together they constructed this wooden building which integrates traditional Finnish and American . . . — Map (db m53834) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Tupper & Reed BuildingWilliam Raymond Yelland, Architect; 1925 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1984 John Tupper and Lawrence Reed constructed this building for their music store, which they had established in Berkeley in 1906. University of California art professor Eugen Neuhaus complimented them . . . — Map (db m54507) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — United States Post OfficeOscar Wenderoth, Architect; 1914 — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1980 Berkeley’s elegant Main Post Office is representative of the Second Renaissance Revival style, also called Neo-Classical Revival. Government buildings constructed in this era were designed to . . . — Map (db m54260) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Veterans Memorial BuildingHenry H. Meyers, Architect, 1928 — City of Berkeley Landmark,designated in 1985
In the early 1920s Alameda County voters approved a special tax to construct buildings that would honor war veterans and provide a meeting place for their organizations. The City of Berkeley contributed the land for this building. Designed in the . . . — Map (db m52399) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Whittier SchoolDragon, Schmidts, Hardman and Officer, Associated Architects, 1939 — Chester Bowles, Jr. and Associates, 1994
City of Berkeley Landmark designated in 1984 This reinforced concrete Moderne-style building replaced an 1892 wood frame school. Faculty of the original school planted the five Coast Redwoods at the southwestern edge of the school grounds. The . . . — Map (db m54192) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Workingman’s Hall1879 — Berkeley History
Originally located at Sixth and Delaware streets, this simple wooden building was constructed by volunteers from the Workingman’s Club, a west Berkeley political organization. Built as a reading room for laborers, it was used briefly as Berkeley’s . . . — Map (db m53836) HM

99 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement