Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lancaster, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Abraham de Peyster Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, April 12, 2012
Abraham de Peyster Marker
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Abraham de Peyster
Abraham dePeyster Alderman of the City of New York 1685; Mayor of that City, 1691-95. Member of Earl Bellomont’s Council, 1698, Assistant Judge of the Supreme Court, 1698. Colonel Commanding, Regiment of Militia of City Trained Bands 1700 Chief . . . — Map (db m54368) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Ambulance Co. No. 111   28th Division A.E.F.
To honor the members of Ambulance Co. No. 111   28th Division A.E.F. Originally Company No. 3 Penna. National Guard * Captain Charles P. Starr, Commanding Officer Captains * John D. Boger   * Alfred F. Compton   * Grant B. Weaver   * William . . . — Map (db m54592) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Andrew Ellicott — (1754 - 1820)
Surveyor, mathematician, astronomer. Secretary, Pennsylvania Land Office, 1801-08. In 1803, while living here, he taught Meriwether Lewis surveying and navigation skills. Helped survey & draw boundaries of New York, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C. & . . . — Map (db m5171) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — At Rockford near here lived & died General Edward Hand, M.D.
Soldier of the Revolution, Adjutant General & friend of Washington. Born in Clydruff, Ireland. He first fought for British rights, then for American liberty. Lancaster County's Historical Society erected this tablet Sept. 20, A.D. 1912, to honor a . . . — Map (db m5231) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Bailey's Printshop
Francis Bailey, official printer to both the U.S. Congress and the Commonwealth, operated a printing office on this site from 1773 to 1780. Here, he produced many historic imprints including Thomas Paine's "Crisis No. 4." — Map (db m5159) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Captain Stephen Chambers — 1753 - 1789
Officer in Revolutionary War Delegate to the State Convention which ratified the Constitution of the United States trustee of Franklin College Worshipful Master of Lancaster Lodge No. 43 F. and AM Member of Lancaster Bar and . . . — Map (db m5208) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Central Market
The red brick market building directly before you is the oldest publicly owned, continually operated market in the United States, representing a Lancaster tradition since 1730. This building, which was constructed in 1889 by John Berger, is . . . — Map (db m5152) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Charles Demuth
Born in Lancaster, Nov. 8, 1883. Demuth achieved international fame for his precise modernist paintings including "My Egypt" and "I Saw the Figure 5 in Gold." He traveled in the U.S. and abroad but resided after 1889 in this house. Here he died in . . . — Map (db m5202) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Colonel Matthias Slough — 1733-1812
Officer in Revolutionary War Member of General Assembly Coroner who presided at inquest of Paxton Massacre Proprietor of White Swan Tavern Member of St. James Church — Map (db m5212) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Colonial Mansion
This house, of true Georgian style, was built about 1750. The ground was purchased by Thomas Poultney, merchant, in 1749, John Passmore, first mayor of Lancaster, occupied the house at one time. — Map (db m5226) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Conestoga Navigation Company
A slackwater canal between Lancaster and Safe Harbor, built following the company's incorporation in 1825, facilitated access to Philadelphia, Baltimore, and other ports. This canal's 18-mile course included nine sets of locks and dams; Lock No. 1 . . . — Map (db m5327) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Early Architecture
This one and a half story house is typical of the architecture during the period of early settlement of Lancaster, dating from 1730. Most of the local houses in 1800 were of this style. — Map (db m5168) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Early Transportation Routes
King Street Throughout Lancaster City's history, king Street has been a major throughfare between Philadelphia and points west. In 1733 work commenced on the King's Highway, now Route 340. This highway began at the square extended eastward on . . . — Map (db m5153) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Edward Shippen — 1703 - 1781
Chairman of Committee of Correspondence During American Revolution Chief Burgess of Lancaster at time of Paxton Massacre Judge of the County Court One of Founders and a Trustee of Princeton University Grandfather of Peggy, wife of . . . — Map (db m5207) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — First Presbyterian Church
Congregation traces its origin to 1742. The first regular pastor was Rev. John D. Woodhull, Revolutionary patriot. First building completed here in 1770; present edifice dedicated 1851. James Buchanan, 15th President of the U.S., was a member. — Map (db m5224) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — First Reformed Church
Congregation of German, Swiss, and French settlers was formed about 1729. Log church here, Lancaster's first, 1736. Stone building, 1753; brick church, 1854. Rev. Philip Otterbein, Rev. William Hendel, Dr. Henry Harbaugh were eminent pastors. — Map (db m5205) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Frederick Augustus Muhlenberg
Sacred to the memory of Frederick Augustus Muhlenberg who was born on the 1st day of January, 1750 and departed this life on the 4th day of June, 1801 Aged 51 years, 5 months and 5 days ------------------------------ Lutheran Pastor in Colonial . . . — Map (db m54382) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Fulton Opera House
Built in 1852 and named Fulton Hall in honor of Robert Fulton. It is considered an excellent example of the 19th century "Opera House." For more than 75 years, every major star of the American theatre appeared on its stage. — Map (db m5170) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — General Edward Hand — 1744 - 1802
Lancaster's leading soldier During Revolutionary War Friend and Companion-in-Arms of Gen. George Washington Member of Continental Congress Chief Burgess of Lancaster Warden and Vestryman of St. James Church Rock Ford his Lancaster . . . — Map (db m5211) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — George Ross
Soldier, ardent patriot, jurist, and a Signer of the Declaration of Independence, settled at Lancaster about 1751. Site of his country house, now marked by monument, is on Ross Street, nine blocks north. Died, 1779. — Map (db m5227) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Gotthilf Heinrich Ernst Muhlenberg, S.T.B.
Here rest the bones of Gotthilf Heinrich Ernst Muhlenberg, S.T.B. who, as a true shepherd, tended this congregation with the Gospel of Christ for 35 years. His spirit joyfully escaped its shell, which collapsed here on the 23rd of May, 1815, in . . . — Map (db m54386) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Grape Hotel
The site of Col Adam Riegart's Grape Hotel the meeting place of numerous revolutionary groups and committees and notable among colonial hostelries as a center of the spirit of independence in Lancaster County — Map (db m53457) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Henry Hess Landis Farm
Isaac C. Landis (1843-1931) established this farmstead around 1870 on a 52-acre parcel. It consisted primarily of the wooden frame house in front of you and a medium-size barn, both painted red. In 1908, the barn burned down and he had it rebuilt. . . . — Map (db m84452) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Historic Site in Journalism
Lancaster Newspapers, published on this site of Francis Bailey's colonial printshop, trace their roots to the Lancaster Journal of 1794. the Journal was published and edited by William Hamilton and Henry Willcocks. It merged with the Intelligencer, . . . — Map (db m5160) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
Founded in 1730. a session for an Indian treaty was held in the original church building in 1762. The present edifice was dedicated in 1766. Here are interred the remains of Thomas Wharton (1778) and Gov. Thomas Mifflin (1800). — Map (db m5124) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Home Site of Col. William Henry — 1729 - 1786
Prominent patriot Master rifle maker Enterprising and successful experimenter in steam navigation — Map (db m5156) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Isaac Long Barn
The United Brethren in Christ, and the Evangelical United Brethren Church, trace their origin to the joint efforts of Rev. Philip w. Otterbein of the German Reformed Church and Martin Boehm, a Mennonite preacher, as a revival held here about 1767. . . . — Map (db m8267) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Buchanan
Lawyer, statesman, diplomat, and fifteenth President of United States, lies buried in this cemetery, about 350 yards southeast. His home, Wheatland, located on Marietta Avenue, is marked with a bronze tablet. — Map (db m5117) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Buchanan
President of the United States 1857 – 1861 Given in memory by Dulon F. Buchmiller — Map (db m54356) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Buchanan
Fifteenth President of the United States, lies buried at Woodward Hill Cemetery located five blocks to the south on Queen Street. — Map (db m84451) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Buchanan Home
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States. U.S. Department . . . — Map (db m54353) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Hale Steinman, A.B., LL. B., LL.D.
October 22, 1886 - December 31, 1962 Graduate of the Yeates School, The Hotchkiss School, Yale University University of Pennsylvania School of Law President and publisher of Lancaster newspapers Chairman of the board, Intelligencer Printing . . . — Map (db m5163) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Hazlett Binns
1912 - 1985 Industrialist • Patriot • Humanitarian • Mentor He rose from sales trainee to become president and chairman of Armstrong World Industries, a director of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and chairman of the National Association of . . . — Map (db m5324) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — James Tilden Sheckard — 1878 – 1947
Dedicated to the memory of James Tilden Sheckard 1878 – 1947 the Lancaster County boy who starred on the Baltimore Orioles the Brooklyn Dodgers and the famous Champion Chicago Cubs of 1906-1910 to become one of the great outfielders of all . . . — Map (db m54364) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Jasper Yeates — 1746 - 1817
Member of Committee of Correspondence During Revolution Judge of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania Delegate to the State Convention which Ratified the Constitution of the United States Man for Whom Yeates School was named . . . — Map (db m5209) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John Durang — (1768 - 1822)
The first American-born professional stage performer, Durang gained fame as a dancer, actor, clown, musician, acrobat, choreographer, and puppeteer. Born in Lancaster near here, he performed in the northeastern US, eventually founding his own . . . — Map (db m5169) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John F. Reynolds — (1820-1863)
Major General in the Union Army during the Civil War. He played a key role in committing the Army of the Potomac to the Battle of Gettysburg, July 1, 1863. He was killed early on the first day. Buried in Lancaster Cemetery, he was born and resided . . . — Map (db m84450) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John Frederick Steinman, Ph. B., LL. D.
August 21, 1884 - December 23, 1980 Graduate of the Yeates School, the Hotchkiss School, and Yale University Publisher and chairman of the board of Lancaster Newspapers, Inc. Chairman of the board, Intelligencer Printing Company Co-founder . . . — Map (db m5162) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — John Fulton Reynolds
Colonel of the Fifth Infantry, U.S. Army Major General of Volunteers Born September 21, 1820 Killed at the Battle of Gettysburg while commanding the Left Wing of the Army of the Potomac July 1, 1863 Erected by Independent Battery I Pa. Light . . . — Map (db m54370) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Joseph Simon — (1712 - 1804)
Jewish pioneer and merchant, Simon played a significant role in the development of central and western PA. He participated in expeditions as far as the Mississippi and helped establish Lancaster as a center for exploration, trade & settlement. . . . — Map (db m5119) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster City
Penn Square Since its establishment in 1730, Lancaster City has been a bustling, vibrant community with a rich history. Founded by James Hamilton, an English businessman, the city was designed to be the county seat, with a Courthouse placed in . . . — Map (db m5201) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster County
Formed on May 10, 1729 out of Chester County. Named for Lancashire in England. County seat, Lancaster, was chartered a borough in 1742; a city in 1818. It was the State capital, 1799-1812. County is noted for its rich farmland and ethnic diversity. — Map (db m5203) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Leo F. Hauck — 1888 – 1950
Memorial to Leo F. Hauck 1888 – 1950 In an era of top middleweight and light heavyweight boxers, 1905 – 1920, Leo Hauck rose through them all to become “Uncrowned Middleweight Champion of the World.” Always a clean . . . — Map (db m54366) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Major John Light — 1755-1834
Served throughout the Revolutionary War Fought in Battles of Lake Champlain Princeton and Yorktown Chief Burgess of Lancaster Member of St. James Church — Map (db m5213) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Mathias Roeser
Here from 1740 to 1771 lived one of colonial America's most important gunsmiths. His work was central to development of the Pennsylvania rifle. Other family members and an apprentice, William Henry, Sr., became leading gunsmiths & supplied arms to . . . — Map (db m5167) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Military Stables and Barracks
This long building was used as military stables during the Revolution. On opposite side of street, stood the Barracks where British and Hessians were imprisoned during that period. — Map (db m5122) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Old Center Square (Penn Square)
Indian wigwams, a hickory tree, and a spring - that was old center square "Hickory Town" prior to 1730. In that year, however, significant changes occurred as Andrew and James Hamilton laid out Lancaster Townstead with an open square. Streets . . . — Map (db m5151) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Old Courthouse
In 1739, the small brick courthouse of old Lancaster, one of the first in America, was completed. The two story courthouse was constructed in the center of the square and provided a courtroom on the first floor, and a council chamber and small . . . — Map (db m5134) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Patriots of St. James Church
In honor of members of St. James’ Church who served America during the time of the Revolution •     •     • George Ross Signer of the Declaration of Independence •     •     • Major General Edward Hand Friend and companion in arms of General George . . . — Map (db m54381) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Pennsylvania Medical Society
Founded April 11, 1848, at the First Methodist Episcopal Church on this site. Its purpose was to foster the advancement of medical knowledge, relieve suffering and promote the health of the community. Samuel Humes, M.D., of Lancaster was the first . . . — Map (db m5206) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Pennsylvania Rifle
Misnamed Kentucky Rifle, this famous weapon of the frontier was developed in the 1700's at Lancaster, which was the center for its manufacture — Map (db m84447) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Privy
      Built in 1828, the privy is one of the three original buildings left on the estate. Privies were in use here until the late 1800’s, when an interior bathroom was added to the mansion. Interesting to note the symmetrical arrangement with the . . . — Map (db m54395) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Revolutionary War Stables
. . . — Map (db m54387) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Reynolds House
Birthplace and residence of Major General John F. Reynolds of the Army of the Potomac. Killed on the morning of the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg, July 1, 1863, his body lies buried in Lancaster Cemetery. — Map (db m5165) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Robert Coleman — 1749 - 1825
Associate Judge of Lancaster County Member of Legislature Delegate to State Convention which Ratified the Constitution of the United States Ironmaster of Lancaster County Warden and Vestryman of St. James Church Father of Ann - Buried . . . — Map (db m5210) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Rock Ford
Name of Colonial mansion of Edward Hand. Adjutant General of the Continental Army, and notable Lancaster physician. George Washington was entertained here in 1791. The old mansion is about a half mile to the southeast. — Map (db m5229) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Ruamie Hill Binns
1914 - 2002 Civic Leader • Volunteer • Philanthropist • Friend She shared her talents and her spirit with Lancaster for six decades, including leadership roles in family and children's services, the Junior League, the Community Chest, the . . . — Map (db m5323) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — S. Dale Kaufman — (1911 - 1977)
S. Dale Kaufman, senior partner in the architectural firm of Haak, Kaufman, Reese and Beers, was the principle architect in the nationally recognized restoration of this market which captured the 1976 H.U.D. honor award for design excellence. A . . . — Map (db m5157) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Sgt Joseph E Jackson
To the children in memory of Sgt Joseph E Jackson. Far away in an alien land he found not only a war but children. Children the same as those he knew at home friendly smiling and eager for knowledge. — Map (db m53458) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Shippen House
Site of house occupied 1751-1781, by Edward Shippen; lawyer, judge, Chairman Committee of Observation, and grand-father of Peggy Shippen Arnold. An earlier occupant was Thomas Cookson, first Burgess of Lancaster Borough. — Map (db m31893) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Simon Snyder
Born, 1759, on this site. Governor of Pennsylvania for three terms, 1808-17. His strong appeal for a call to arms, and defense of sound currency, during War of 1812, are noteworthy. Died in 1819 at Selinsgrove. — Map (db m5120) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Smokehouse / Icehouse
      One of the three buildings constructed in 1828, this west dependency appears to have been a combination smokehouse / icehouse when it was originally built. Located a convenient distance from the basement kitchen, it is built of brick, wood, . . . — Map (db m54399) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Directly before you in the square stands the soldiers and sailors monument, erected in 1874 by the Lancaster County Monumental Association to honor the brave men and women of Lancaster County who died to save the Union during the Civil War. The . . . — Map (db m5129) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — St. James' Church (Episcopal)
Founded 1744. Original structure built 1746-53; this building begun 1820. George Ross, signer of the Declaration of Independence, was vestryman. Buried here are the patriots Edward Shippen, William Atlee, Edward Hand, and Jasper Yeates. — Map (db m5204) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Stevens Grave & Memorial — Shreiner-Concord Cemetery
Stevens Grave & Memorial Burial place of a true American hero ---------------- Thaddeus StevensLancaster County’s U.S. Representative was the most powerful congressman during the Civil War and early Reconstruction. He was a master . . . — Map (db m54598) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Thaddeus Stevens
Lawyer, congressman, defender of free public schools, abolitionist, lies buried in the rear of this cemetery. He believed in the "Equality of man before his Creator." Resided in Lancaster from 1842 until his death, 1868. — Map (db m5228) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The Evangelic Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity
Earliest Congregation in Lancaster Organized 1730 Fostered six other city congregations ————•———— First church erected 1734 Present building begun in 1761 Dedicated in 1766 by Henry Melchior . . . — Map (db m54654) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The Rev. Thomas Barton
Memorial Stone to The Rev. Thomas Barton 1730 – 1780 British Missionary who served for 19 years with distinction as third rector of St. James Church 1759-1778. True to his ordination vows, he remained loyal to the Crown during the American . . . — Map (db m54377) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — The Water Towers in Buchanan Park
Near this site stood two water towers that for approximately seventy years were part of Lancaster’s skyline. In the early twentieth century the Conestoga River was the sole source of public water in the city. As the west end grew, distance from the . . . — Map (db m54369) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Thomas Mifflin, Esq.
Signer of the Constitution of the United States of America Erected by General Thomas Mifflin Chapter Mifflintown, Juniata County, Pennsylvania Daughters of the American Revolution 1987 < Upper Marker : > In perpetuation of the memory of . . . — Map (db m54653) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Thomas Wharton, Jr.
In memoriam Thomas Wharton, Jr. First President of the Supreme Executive Council of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and Captain General and Commander-in-Chief in and over the same on March 5, 1777 Died in Office, greatly lamented May 23, 1778. At . . . — Map (db m54657) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — U.S.S. Maine Memorial
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th 1898 This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine < Rear Marker : > 1898 – 1902       Erected by General Wm. S. McCaskey Camp United Spanish . . . — Map (db m54400) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Wheatland
Home of President James Buchanan from 1849 to his death is a few blocks away. Statesman and diplomat, as Member of Congress, U.S. Senator, Secretary of State and Minister to England. Elected President in 1856. — Map (db m5232) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Wheatland
The home of James Buchanan, statesman, diplomat and the fifteenth President of the United States (1857 -61), is located on Marietta Avenue, seven blocks south. Buchanan maintained Wheatland as his home from 1848 until he died there on June 1, 1868. — Map (db m5233) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — William Augustus Atlee — 1735-1793
Chairman of Committee of Safety during American Revolution Chief Burgess of Lancaster Judge of first Supreme Court of Pennsylvania Warden and Vestryman of St. James Church — Map (db m5214) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Witmer's Tavern
One of the best surviving structures of its type. Original east end built about 1725 by Benjamin Witmer, agent for the London Land Company. Passed on to his son, tavern-keeper John Witmer. Enlarged by Henry Witmer, 1773. Family was prominent in many . . . — Map (db m8269) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — World War I Memorial — Spirit of the American Doughboy
Dedicated to The men and women of the Seventh Ward Lancaster, PA. who by their patriotism courage and devotion helped win The World War 1914 - 1918 for humanity, liberty and righteousness erected by the Citizens of the . . . — Map (db m66429) WM

77 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement