On October 10, 1910, the original church, known as the Second Advent Church of Eau Gallie, was formally organized by the Rev. H. V. Skipper. Early meetings were held in neighborhood homes and in the Riverside Hotel, owned by John R. Mathers. Mathers . . . — — Map (db m49380) HM
This house was built circa 1898-1900 by William O. Wallace from Indiana, who lived here with his wife, May Bell and their four children. An expert fisherman and musician, Wallace kept backyard pens filled with live alligators, turtles and fish for . . . — — Map (db m73084) HM
Following the Civil War, Confederate Secretary of War, John C. Breckenridge, and his entourage came down the Indian River in a sailboat on their journey to Cuba where Breckenridge knew he would be safe from prosecution by the United States . . . — — Map (db m71424) HM
Many acres in this area were originally owned by Peter Wright a black man and one of the first settlers of this area. He sold his property to Thomas Mason, an English recluse, who later sold the property to Richard W. Goode for $110.
The . . . — — Map (db m50309) HM
The first Carleton Hotel was built on this site about 1887, under the ownership of Jennie and Emma Strawbridge, sisters, who were natives of Sharon, PA.
That hotel burned in 1904. At the same time, the Idlewylde Hotel to the north, also burned. . . . — — Map (db m73120) HM
Ernest Kouwen-Hoven, a land developer and promoter of Indialantic-by-the-Sea in 1918-19, realized that if the seaside town was to become a resort-residential community, a bridge must be built from the mainland to the peninsula. He contracted local . . . — — Map (db m110189) HM
The First State Bank building was open for business on the south side of Eau Gallie Boulevard in 1883. One day in 1896, the cashier of the First State Bank was seen boarding a northbound train with two large suitcases. He was never heard from again, . . . — — Map (db m48990) HM
The three story building on the corner of Law and Highland was built by the Gleason family in 1910. The third floor was the Masonic temple. The building was built on some of the highest ground in the area and still had an artesian well with enough . . . — — Map (db m48982) HM
This is the original building erected by Harry Crenshaw in 1926 and opened as a hotel and apartments in April of that year.
On February 2, 1928, the hotel became the Melbourne Hospital, operated by Dr. and Mrs. I.M. Hay who came here from St. . . . — — Map (db m48646) HM
Lansing Gleason, a descendant of the pioneer Gleason family, recalled that downtown Eau Gallie had numerous fish houses, each with a barrel of whiskey set up at holiday times. A tin cup was provided on a help yourself basis. Things got pretty rowdy . . . — — Map (db m69035) HM
The first wooden bridge from Eau Gallie to "Eau Gallie Beach" was started in 1924. The bridge was formally opened in February 1926. Soon after John R. Mathers began plans to build a bridge from the barrier island to the tip of Merritt Island. That . . . — — Map (db m75971) HM
This library is the second oldest library in Brevard County. It was founded by the members of the Avilah Club in 1898. Its first location was in the Eau Gallie Post Office (See marker on Highland Avenue.)
The Eau Gallie Woman's club took over . . . — — Map (db m48983) HM
Aaron Bennett established the Eau Gallie Yacht Basin in 1896. But even before that the basin was the terminus of a steamboat line in the days before the railroad reached Eau Gallie.
Phillip David Barbour, a native of Louisville, KY. was the man . . . — — Map (db m48984) HM
The Eau Gallie Yacht Club was completed in January, 1912, at a cost of $3,000. The officers of the club were George F. Paddison, President; Col. C. W. Fowler, Vice-President; J.E.M. Hodgson, Secretary and Treasurer. J.A. Carr was Commodore. The . . . — — Map (db m48987) HM
Here at what was once known as Hatterman's Point, in the early years, John Cornthwaite Hector settled and had a store built, completed in 1880 by carpenter U. D. Henderson of Eau Gallie.
Hector was described as "tall, heavy-set, with white hair . . . — — Map (db m48889) HM
Henry M. Flagler, Florida East Coast Railroad owner, was influenced to extend his railroad south from Rockledge by a Melbourne resident: E.P. Branch. The railroad tracks were built into Eau Gallie about 1892. Considerable delay was experienced in . . . — — Map (db m50308) HM
A 37-cent donation, given to Florida Institute of Technology founder Jerome P. Keuper (1921-2002), would launch one of the most remarkable stories in American higher education. Keuper, a scientist working at Cape Canaveral, founded Florida Tech in . . . — — Map (db m53822) HM
Front Street was the original business section of Melbourne. It came into existence in the 1880's as dry goods stores, grocery stores, a fish house boat building and the post office were located along the waterfront.
In 1894, Melbourne's second . . . — — Map (db m48886) HM
This house was built prior to 1900 by Gen. John B. Castleman, a veteran of the Civil War and the Spanish-American War. Gen. Castleman, from Louisville, KY., used this as his winter home for many years.
The General was active in political and . . . — — Map (db m49039) HM
In 1926 the Ginter Building was constructed by Clifford Ginter. It was built as a professional building with natural wood floors and high ceilings. The Ginter Building went up during an era of expansion in Eau Gallie, the Florida land boom of the . . . — — Map (db m49359) HM
A spur track for the Florida East Coast Railway was once located on the north side of this site. The track went out on a dock where freight and passengers were loaded onto river boats for the journey south.
In 1902, the East Coast Lumber and . . . — — Map (db m49042) HM
The western most building of this complex was built in the period 1919-1921 and the first high school graduating class graduated May 12, 1921 with 13 students.
The building was soon overflowing and six "shacks" were built to care for the . . . — — Map (db m49940) HM
The Florida East Coast Railway arrived in Eau Gallie on May 20, 1893. The first engine arrived on June 24, 1893. A ticket from Jacksonville to Eau Gallie was $7.00. Eau Gallie was the terminus while construction continued to Miami. A "Y" was built . . . — — Map (db m110315) HM
The midway city of Melbourne boasts the grand opening of the Melbourne Hotel. Built by developer Elton Hall.
Late 1920's to Early 1960's
Several specialty shops, a barbershop, a taxi dispatch station and drug store enjoyed bustling . . . — — Map (db m50745) HM
Alexander R. Hodgson, H.U. Hodgson and John Edwin Hodgson, brothers, together with their families, came to Eau Gallie about 1883. They founded the Hodgson Brothers mercantile business at this
location in the 1890s. They later added a marine
ways . . . — — Map (db m49046) HM
The Hodgson Brothers (John, Alexander and Henry) settled in Eau Gallie in 1883, coming here from Canada. They operated a general store and boat ways at the south end of Houston Street and at one time ran a small steamboat line. This building was . . . — — Map (db m71423) HM
First organized in 1884, Holy Trinity Episcopal Church was erected in 1886 on land donated by Lucy Boardman, who also provided plans for the building. Founding members of the congregation included the Goode, Campbell, Miller, Ely, Ellis and Grubb . . . — — Map (db m52927) HM
The pioneer Houston family built its first home just southeast of this location. It was customary in those days of the nineteenth century to bury the dead on the family property, thus this cemetery was established in 1883 when 27 year old Samuel . . . — — Map (db m49047) HM
Descended from 17th Century New England pioneers, James Rossetter (1863-1921) was born in Hamilton County, Florida. Rossetter arrived in Eau Gallie in 1902 and became a leader in the local fishing industry, harvesting the many local waterways as a . . . — — Map (db m49214) HM
Karrick's Grocery opened in 1918 in a small 16x30 ft. building with an inventory worth $800. Sugar was selling at 28 cents a pound, butter 60 cents a pound, rice 15 cents a pound, and flour $2.35 for 25 pounds. The U.S. was engaged in World War I. . . . — — Map (db m69036) HM
Land Yacht Port-O-Call, travel trailer park, originally for Airstream trailers only, was begun in 1969 on 21 acres leased from Melbourne Airport. In 1979 seven and one half acres were added to the park, making room for a total of 647 trailers. . . . — — Map (db m52376) HM
The south side of this building was originally built in 1923 as the home for the Ernest Kouwen-Hoven family. During the year they lived in it, it was the scene of many spectacular parties, as well as more down-to-earth "crab-boils" held on the . . . — — Map (db m66833) HM
Melbourne's oldest surviving schoolhouse built 1883 by John Goode at his house on the river. Both black and white students, attended 5-6 summer months, sat on benches. Wrote on slates, drank from well near by. Bought by South Brevard Historical . . . — — Map (db m55420) HM
The Melbourne Hotel was first opened on the evening of September 23, 1924, with several hundred guests in attendance.
Elton Hall was the promoter of the hotel and celebrated his 36th birthday on the day of the opening.
That same year . . . — — Map (db m50320) HM
This building was started in December, 1926, by Florida Power and Light Co. as a 150-ton ice plant. The plant was to be built in units, with the first unit having a 50-ton capacity. Cost of the building was about $100,000.
However, the ice . . . — — Map (db m48887) HM
The library began in Mrs. Campbell's store called The Bazaar, on lower New Haven Avenue, in 1918.
It soon outgrew the store, moved to a building on the corner of New Haven Ave. and Vernon Place, then across the street to the display room of the . . . — — Map (db m50307) HM
This building was erected in 1913 and contained a billiard parlor and restaurant on the ground floor, and the Midway Hotel upstairs. The Melbourne Times moved from its Front Street location to this building almost as soon as it was finished, and . . . — — Map (db m49939) HM
This site was the 129-building Naval Air Station constructed at the Melbourne Municipal Airport at the beginning of World War II. It was commissioned as Operational Training Unit No. 2 on October 20, 1942 and closed on February 15, 1946. The Station . . . — — Map (db m52374) HM
Brevard Art Museum was at one time City Hall, police, and fire department of Eau Gallie. Whenever there was a fire, a siren, located on top of the three story roof, would inform all the local volunteers they were needed. Local businessmen on . . . — — Map (db m49279) HM
This building was the Eau Gallie Post Office circa 1900-1925. Before the advent of automobiles, old-timers recall tying their horses and buggies to the big oak tree in the back.
The building just south of the Post Office was Eau Gallie's first . . . — — Map (db m49235) HM
The original hotel on this site was built in 1884 on property which Richard W. Goode purchased from Thomas Mason first white settler of Melbourne. Mrs. R.W. Goode operated the "Rooming House." She called it the Goode House.
In 1894, the . . . — — Map (db m50311) HM
The Ais Indian town of Pentoaya is thought to have been located atop the arc-shaped sand bluffs that surround the western edge of what is now Ballard Park. Pentoaya was an important prehistoric Indian settlement on the east coast of Florida, and was . . . — — Map (db m82819) HM
In 1880 about 200 people lived in the cities of Eau Gallie and Melbourne. Eau Gallie's population in 1886 was 50. By 1890 the combined population in and around the two settlements was 374, of which 187 actually lived within the two communities. . . . — — Map (db m49123) HM
The exact year the Roesch house was built is unknown. It was probably constructed sometime after 1892. It was constructed by William Russell Roesch. Roesch was made city treasurer of Eau Gallie in 1887. Roesch was also mayor of Eau Gallie numerous . . . — — Map (db m49136) HM
The first hickory log cabin built by John C. Houston, original settler of Eau Gallie, was erected in this area. Houston came here in 1859 with his older sons and 10 slaves. He had served in the U.S. Army during the Seminole Indian wars and had been . . . — — Map (db m49240) HM
Richard W. Goode, wife Jessie Goode and three small children arrived in the area of Crane Creek in 1877. They came here from Evanston, Illinois.
Goode explored the area, on foot and by boat, while his family remained in the small settlement of . . . — — Map (db m73132) HM
On the night of March 26, 1944, three B-24 aircraft were flying loose formation from Chatham Field in Savannah, Georgia on a training flight. Somewhere over the Atlantic ocean, two of the planes went down without even giving a distress signal. The . . . — — Map (db m66829) HM
St. John's Episcopal Church parish was founded in 1890, but the church was not built until 1897. The first services were held Feb. 20, 1898. The design of the church is copied from one in Como, Canada, where the Hodgson family formerly lived. The . . . — — Map (db m49137) HM
A Methodist circuit rider, with the aid of early settlers in Eau Gallie, erected a small mission cut out of logs on the north bank of Horse Creek. It was finished with a puncheon floor. Travel to the services was by boat. From 1888 until 1900 the . . . — — Map (db m49237) HM
The First Congregational Church of Melbourne had its beginnings in 1887 when Edward Branch and his wife Abbie began to hold regular Bible study and worship meetings. In December 1887, five men and seven women signed a covenant that was the first . . . — — Map (db m66831) HM
The Hernandez-Capron Trail parallels I-95 here in Brevard County. Laid out in 1838 by U.S. Army during Second Seminole war, it linked King's Road in St. Augustine and forts along St. John's River with Ft. Capron, 4 mi. north of present Ft. Pierce. . . . — — Map (db m75839) HM
James Wadsworth Rossetter, Sr., came to Eau Gallie in 1902. He purchased this property in 1903. The house was built before the War Between the States and is on the former site of the Houston family's slave quarters. One member of that pioneer family . . . — — Map (db m48975) HM
Almost this entire block was a campground for tin can tourists in the year 1918(?) - 1923. Travelers from all over the country camped here in tents, homemade trailers and even wooden shelters built on the back of Model T Ford trucks. Out houses and . . . — — Map (db m50746) HM
Originally wooden steps mounted the bluff, providing a means for pedestrians to go from the front street business section to the hotels and residences along the high bluff.
At the top of the steps, along bluff walk, were the Carelton Hotel, . . . — — Map (db m48888) HM
The two large oak trees that lent their presence to the naming of this house have been damaged and subsequently cut down because of a windstorm. The house has significant history because it was built in the early part of the twentieth century for a . . . — — Map (db m49280) HM
The Union Cypress Co. was Melbourne’s first big industry, bringing employment, growth and development to the region. Their big cypress/pine sawmill was a three-story, all-steel structure about 50 by 150 feet. Five, 150-horsepower boilers provided . . . — — Map (db m71092) HM
The William H. Gleason House was built around 1884 by William Henry Gleason (c. 1830-1902) and his wife Sarah Griffin Gleason. Gleason came to Florida in 1866 with his wife and two sons from Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and settled in Dade County. In . . . — — Map (db m63911) HM