The last remaining building
of the Gold Rush era Chinese community
in Old Hangtown
Stone House is famous
for its historical significance
as an old Chinese brothel
John R. Berry – Attorney at Law
Architectural . . . — — Map (db m36815) HM
One of the oldest preserved homes of Placerville (Old Hangtown) originally built in 1853 by Col. Fred A. Bee, pioneer merchant, and enlarged in 1889 by Judge Marcus P. Bennett, early jurist, retaining redwood ornate paneling woodwork and fireplace . . . — — Map (db m42260) HM
This fieldstone building was built by Giovanni N. Lombardo in 1872 from stones cleared to plant vineyards on the property. The lower cellar was used to produce wine for the local community. The grapes were crushed in the upper story living room and . . . — — Map (db m101534) HM
Branch Saloon Bingham’s Jewelry Seligman Building Ewing Building Collins Auto Parts Placerville Clothing
A log building owned by C.C. Williams once stood on the western portion of this lot. In 1853 thirsty miners stopped here for a drink . . . — — Map (db m69356) HM
These headstones, removed from their gravesites as a result of vandalism, were found throughout the county on roadsides and in backyards. The headstones have been given a temporary resting site, here, until their rightful places can be located. — — Map (db m13613) HM
Erected in 1860, this part of City Hall housed the Confidence Engine Company which was originally formed as The Mountaineer Engine Company. When flames engulfed most of the town in 1856, concerned citizens of Placerville realized that even the best . . . — — Map (db m35540) HM
Board of Supervisors
John M. Caswell – District 1, William V.D. Johnson – District 2, Thomas M. Goodloe, Jr. – District 3, Raymond E. Lawyer, Chairman – District 4, Gerald E. Martin – District 5.
Robert Mason, . . . — — Map (db m12755) HM
Fisher’s Oasis Coffee House and Wadsworth’s Chicago Dining Saloon occupied this site from 1851- 1855. In 1853 F.A. Bee, founder of the Placerville Herald, printed his short-lived newspaper here. Early pioneer doctors, Harvey and Sholer and . . . — — Map (db m65253) HM
The antique bricks that were used on the façade of this building were originally used to build the “Dougalss – Hines” Building.
The “Douglass – Hines” Building stood where the Fountain Plaza now stands at 312 . . . — — Map (db m13144) HM
[Marker located on right planter stand on walkway of entrance to Monument:]
El Dorado County
Dedicated on Veterans Day
November 11, 2006
The Friends of the Monument
The Grateful Citizens
Of . . . — — Map (db m21750) WM
The Gold Bug is like the thousands of small mines that once dotted the Sierra foothills. Surprisingly enough, most of the digging in this mine occurred in the 1920’s and 30’s, and not during the Gold Rush. Mines like this were worked by small . . . — — Map (db m69863) HM
This city in the days of ’49
This was the site of Elstner’s Hay Yard on which stood the ‘Hangman’s Tree’ where vigilantes executed many men for various crimes. The stump of the tree is under this . . . — — Map (db m10504) HM
Did you know that Gold Bug Park has nearly 100 years of gold mining history?
The 61 acres of the park include six mining claims that were once a part of the Poverty Ridge Mining District. Some of the richest deposits of the Mother Lode were . . . — — Map (db m69861) HM
The Masonic Building was built by S.G. Beach and Company in the fall of 1893 for the Placerville Masonic Hall Association, using 85,000 first quality bricks shipped from Sacramento. It housed some of the finest legal talent in the county, attorneys . . . — — Map (db m35590) HM
On Thursday, June 30, 1864 at about 10 PM two west-bound stage coaches of the Pioneer Stage Company were held up and the passengers robbed at gun-point at a location approximately 15 miles east of Placerville.
The bandits demanded and obtained . . . — — Map (db m13150) HM
Boarders and guests of the Cedar Ravine House that once stood two doors up the street purchased groceries and provisions here from 1853 to 1856. Proprietor N.C. Fassett sold a variety of goods from beans to brandy, candy to coffee, lard to lead, . . . — — Map (db m65252) HM
Whose deep concern for the conservation and improvement of our forests led him to establish the Eddy Tree Breeding Station on this site in 1925. His own effort and funds created this oldest forest genetics research institution in the Western . . . — — Map (db m105854) HM
F.A. Gerbode began construction of this building for W.A. (Will) Fairchild in 1903. Family legend says that when excavation began, enough gold was found to finance the project which totaled $16,000. The building’s two stories, much like today, . . . — — Map (db m35579) HM
Erected in 1851, Oldest church building in El Dorado County. It originally stood on the corner of Cedar Ravine and Main Street. The Ponderosa Pine beams are hand hewn. First church bell was purchased from the sailing ship . . . — — Map (db m11055) HM
Morning Star Lodge #20 was instituted February 9, 1854. The Lodge met for several years on the second floor of a 48 x 24 foot hillside building near here. In 1859, the members erected a building on this site. On May 15th, 1910, a fire started in the . . . — — Map (db m35518) HM
Established on banks of “Hangtown” Creek as rich mining camp in spring of 1848. Millions in gold were taken from its ravines and hills. Supply center for surrounding mining camps and transportation terminus for famous Comstock Lode. John . . . — — Map (db m12732) HM
Gold Rush town and Western Terminus of the Placerville – Carson Road to the Comstock. Placerville was a relay station of the Central Overland Pony Express, April 4, 1860 – June 30, 1861. Here on April 4, 1860 the first east-bound pony . . . — — Map (db m57973) HM
Dedicated to the memory of all those veterans,
down through the years, who fought so valiantly
for their country.. Those who returned..
and those that did not.
From one who did not return from “Desert Storm”
Sgt. J. Scott . . . — — Map (db m35524) WM
A Viking Son of Norway who fulfilled California’s motto:
“Bring Me Men To Match My Mountains”
For twenty winters from 1858 to 1878 he was the lifeline between Utah Territory across the Sierras, and the new state of California. . . . — — Map (db m12750) HM
Born Nebraska 1887. Educated Biltmore Forest School, North Carolina. Began career 1908 in California with U.S.F.S.
Major U.S. Army A.E.F. 1917 – 1919
Michigan California Lumber Co. 1925 – 1949
California State . . . — — Map (db m57974) HM
Saloons and gambling halls provided the main form of entertainment for miners during the gold rush. One of Old Hangtown’s largest gaming halls, The United States Trio, once stood on this site. Owner and entrepreneur, Benjamin Nickerson, first . . . — — Map (db m65251) HM
The Luse Ditch Flume. (1900–1924) On this site stood the Luse Ditch Flume carrying water from Placerville to the ranching and mining operations in the eastern Gold Hill area. The ditch and flume system was managed by George and John Luse . . . — — Map (db m437) HM
In 1852 Phillip L. Platt preempted a ½ quarter section here. He erected a log building for the lodging of miners. He named his hotel The Kossuth House. Dr. Platt died in 1853. His widow sold the property to Anna W. Clark for $200 in 1856. She . . . — — Map (db m13165) HM
A hotel originally built in 1853 with substantial additions including a blacksmith shop in 1863. In the cellar is the famous opening to the Blue Lead Mine. Known early as "3 Mile House" the building has served as a stage coach stop, general . . . — — Map (db m52512) HM
Local residents remember that the thunderous crashing staccato of the ore stamp mill could be heard for miles in the narrow canyon. The song of the stamps had been a familiar sound in this area for since George Cozens erected the first mill here in . . . — — Map (db m69864) HM
“Somewhere here lie the remains of the three unfortunates hanged in late 1849 from the oak tree in the feed corral after fair trial by the vigilantes. This incident changed the name of Dry Diggins to Hangtown.
Let us not judge them too . . . — — Map (db m57972) HM
First operated by Elias Parker, only Gold Rush hotel still standing in Placerville. Used as the Placerville Academy School from 1871 – 1894. Dedicated May 6, 1962, by Marguerite Parlor No.12, Native Daughters of the Golden West on their 75th . . . — — Map (db m12760) HM