On this site in 1861-65, the William R. Alexander Distillery met a wartime need in Texas.
May 28, 1862, Governor Francis R. Lubbock closed all Texas distilleries, to save grain. Army calls for medicinal liquor (for opiate and stimulant purposes) . . . — — Map (db m29344) HM
Dr. David H. Armstrong, who served as one of the first trustees of the Salado public free schools, and his wife, Julia, built this home between 1869 and 1872. It later became the residence of a succession of Salado doctors, including Dr. D.G. Adams . . . — — Map (db m29257) HM
Great-granddaughter of builders. Daughter of Thomas S. and Mary Elizabeth (Robertson) Sutherland.
First woman vice president of student body, University of Texas. Married Leslie Carpenter; has 2 children. In 1954 was president Women's National . . . — — Map (db m29311) HM
Milton Wesley Damron (1825-1887), an early settler and Salado public servant, was born in Tennessee and came to Texas as part of the Mercer Colony. He arrived in the 1840s and shortly afterwards married Sarah Pennington. When original settlement . . . — — Map (db m29350) HM
One of many patented truss designs developed by American inventors and engineers in the mid- to late-19th century, this 87-foot lenticular truss bridge represents an unusual truss type in the United States. The lenticular design features a curved . . . — — Map (db m29256) HM
Educators Samuel Jackson (1858-1918) and Charlotte Hallaran (d. 1904) Jones taught at Salado College in 1884-1885. In 1890, the Joneses opened Thomas Arnold High School in the former Salado College buildings. Charlotte died in 1904, leaving five . . . — — Map (db m29375) HM
A graduate of the medical department of Kentucky's Transylvania University, South Carolina native Dr. Welborn Barton (1821-1883) came to Texas in the late 1840s. After two years of practicing medicine in Bastrop County, he returned to South Carolina . . . — — Map (db m29349) HM
A Baptist revival was held on the banks of Salado Creek as early as 1854. By about 1860, members of area Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Church of Christ denominations were meeting in an ecumenical house of worship. Each group held an all-day . . . — — Map (db m29083) HM
Built in the 1860s, this house was the residence of the Rev. George Washington Baines (1809-83) from 1870 to 1883. A pioneer Baptist preacher, missionary, editor, and educator, the Rev. Baines was the great-grandfather of United States President . . . — — Map (db m29313) HM
New Hampshire native Hermon (Herman) Aiken worked in Illinois and Tennessee before moving to New Orleans. There, he served as a ship’s captain taking supplies to Galveston in support of the Texas Revolution. He lived in Texas by 1840. In 1846, with . . . — — Map (db m29351) HM
Home of Wellborn Barton 1821-1883; Pioneer physician of this region. For many years a trustee of Salado College, built 1866. (John Hendrickson, Contractor)
Old military road and Chisholm cattle trail passed here. — — Map (db m29255) HM
When Addie Barton (1858-1921) was seven years old, her parents, Dr. Welborn and Louisa Barton, moved to Salado so their children could attend Salado College. Upon graduation, Addie became a teacher. She felt called to become a missionary in 1883 and . . . — — Map (db m29249) HM
A number of bridges have been built over Salado Creek on Main Street since 1870. After the town of Salado was laid out in 1859, citizens crossed the creek using various combinations of rocks and logs. When local citizens and students at Salado . . . — — Map (db m29081) HM
Before migrating to Texas, A. J. Rose made a fortune in the 1849 California Gold Rush. In 1857 he and his wife Sallie (Austin) brought their family from Missouri to Travis County, Texas. Later they settled in San Saba County, where Rose ran a mill . . . — — Map (db m29345) HM
Built about 1872 by Edward R.A. Buckles, this I-plan vernacular house exhibits Classical and Victorian detailing. Its two-story gallery features Doric columns on the ground level, which contrast with the Victorian turned wood columns and balusters . . . — — Map (db m29254) HM
Built 1860 at edge of an old Indian campground, by James B. Anderson, one of town’s founders and a school trustee in Salado. Community leaders, lawyers and doctors have lived here.
Boarding here in 1883 while a student at Old Salado College was . . . — — Map (db m29252) HM
This burial ground was likely in use about the time a U.S. Post Office was established in Salado Springs in 1852. In 1854 Col. Elijah Sterling C. Robertson purchased a large tract of land north and south of the springs that included the cemetery. It . . . — — Map (db m29348) HM
A native of Georgia, Robert B. Halley brought his family to this area about 1853. With partner T.J. Eubanks, he operated a liquor distillery and a flour and grist mill on the Lampasas River. Halley served as Bell County Commissioner in 1859 and as a . . . — — Map (db m29374) HM
Built by Col. E.S.C. Robertson and wife, Mary Elizabeth (Dickey).
Rare ante-bellum plantation complex, comprising home, servant quarters, land, family cemetery, stables. Still a working ranch.
The house, occupied by fifth generation of . . . — — Map (db m29310) HM
Salado was officially establish in 1859 when Col. E.S.C Robertson donated land for a townsite and for a college. Col. Hermon Aiken drew a plat for the town, which developed along its main street. However, there had been activity here long before . . . — — Map (db m79922) HM
Established 1856 on 2.5-acre site given by E.S.C. Robertson.
Distinguished Texans interred here include the Rev. G.W. Baines, great-grandfather of President Lyndon B. Johnson; the Rev. and Mrs. J.E. Ferguson, parents of Governor James E. . . . — — Map (db m29376) HM
Founded in March 1859, this congregation first met in a brush arbor on the north bank of Salado Creek. The first two elders were James Anderson and J.W. Vickrey, both of whom were instrumental in the organization of Salado College. A frame . . . — — Map (db m29258) HM
Gushing limestone springs, abundant fish, flowers, and trees have long made the banks of Salado Creek a good home site.
Indians camped beside stream; Spanish explorers named it; the first Anglo-American settler was Archibald Willingham, 1851. . . . — — Map (db m29082) HM
In 1854, the Rev. Thomas Gilmore, a Methodist circuit rider, led a revival at Pecan Grove on the north side of Salado Creek. He organized a Methodist church and a Union Sunday school in a small frame building. During the next decades, the . . . — — Map (db m29347) HM
Dr. Samuel J. Jones (1857-1918) and his wife, Charlotte Hallaran Jones (d. 1904), established Thomas Arnold High School on this site in 1890. The school, which was actually a private academy, occupied the stone buildings vacated by Salado College, . . . — — Map (db m35242) HM
Constructed during the 1860s, the Stagecoach Inn was known as Salado Hotel and as Shady Villa before the current name was adopted in 1943. Military figures George Armstrong Custer and Robert E. Lee, and cattle baron Shanghai Pierce are among those . . . — — Map (db m29080) HM
Built in 1864 by William A. Davis First stone mill with carding machine in this vicinity. A sawmill and gin were added in 1866. French burrs, Leffel water wheel and silk bolt brought from Galveston by wagon in 1871. Made flour for Central Texas . . . — — Map (db m29251) HM
Built in 1870-72, this structure typifies the Greek Revival style with its symmetrical facade. The residence was constructed for former Confederate officer Archibald Johnson Rose (1830-1903) and his large family. A prosperous farmer, Rose . . . — — Map (db m29346) HM
Alabama native James Ferguson (1824-1876) became a Methodist preacher in Arkansas before moving to Texas in 1847. As a circuit rider for the next 20 years, he served Methodists in numerous parts of central and southeast Texas. Ferguson wed native . . . — — Map (db m29373) HM
Twelve Oaks, 1867-69. Greek Revival mansion built of stone from adjacent land, for B.D. McKie, Texas doctor who fought and was wounded in Mexican and Civil wars.
Restoration by parents of Lt. Henry Clay DeGrummond, Jr. World War II combat hero, . . . — — Map (db m29343) HM
Located in an area populated by former slaves following the Civil War, this cemetery dates to the 1870s. The earliest documented grave is that of Jozie Fulbright, who died in 1877, although according to local oral tradition there may be earlier . . . — — Map (db m29308) HM