Res. of Wm. Thames (1796-1892) pioneer citizen of Clayton, formerly Henry, County; veteran of the War of 1812; owner of a saw & grist mill on Flint River; pastor of Tanner’s Church.
Aug. 31, 1864. Troops of the Federal 23rd & 4th A. C., . . . — — Map (db m36727) HM
The Federals, having lifted siege operations N. & W. of Atlanta Aug. 25, moved on the A. & W.P. R.R. below East Point & by the 29th began its destruction. In an effort to protect the M. & W. (Central of Ga.) R.R., Hardee’s A.C. [CS] hastily built & . . . — — Map (db m42137) HM
Aug. 29, 1864. The 10th Mich. reg't, in advance of Davis’ 14th A. C. [US], en route from Red Oak to Jonesboro, encountered Armstrong’s & Martin’s cav. [CS] posted at the church, where a spirited delaying action forced the 10th to withdraw.
Aug. . . . — — Map (db m18904) HM
This pioneer sanctuary stood some 200 ft. W., atop the hill. Long since vanished, its site is indicated by the HUTCHESON CEMETERY. It was cited as a landmark on maps of military operations by Federal armies moving E. toward the Macon . . . — — Map (db m18889) HM
This road is one of the oldest in North Georgia. In the Indian days it connected Hightower Trail to the Etowah Mounds and Cherokee country with trails to Coweta Falls (Columbus), the Chief McIntosh home on the Chattahoochee River and the Creek . . . — — Map (db m36758) HM
Commemorating action of General Iverson’s cavalrymen of Wheeler’s Corps in this vicinity who attempted to protect the railhead of Macon & Western Railroad for retreating Confederate troops after the fall of Atlanta. — — Map (db m59220) HM
Named in honor of Lt. Gen. Alvan C. Gillem, Jr.
Enlisted as a Private in the 17th Infantry in 1910 at Ft. McPherson, Georgia and returned after 37 years of service spanning the globe from China and Siberia to Europe and Mexico, to serve as . . . — — Map (db m57964) HM
Named in honor of Lieut. General William Joseph Hardee (USMA 1838), CSA. A Corps commander during the Atlanta Campaign, he fought a delaying action on Depot site during the retreat. Later, he commanded the Department of South Carolina, Georgia and . . . — — Map (db m59279) HM
Named in honor of General John Bell Hood (USMA 1853), who was a Lieut. General in command of the 2nd Corps, Army of Tennessee, CSA, during Atlanta Campaign in 1864. He succeeded General Joseph E. Johnston as commanding general of Confederate forces . . . — — Map (db m59328) HM
Named in honor of General John Bell Hood (USMA 1853), who was a Lieut. General in command of the 2nd Corps, Army of Tennessee, CSA, during Atlanta Campaign in 1864. He succeeded General Joseph E. Johnston as commanding general of Confederate forces . . . — — Map (db m59381) HM
Named in honor of Brig. General Alfred Iverson, Jr., CSA. He became a first lieutenant, First U. S. Cavalry, 1856. In 1861 he resigned commission in U. S. Army and joined the Confederacy as a Colonel. Promoted to Brig. General in November 1862. He . . . — — Map (db m59295) HM
Named in honor of Brig. General William McIntosh, U.S. Army. Chief of the Coweta Tribe of the Creek Nation, he negotiated a treaty ceding this territory to the United States, which included the land on which the Depot now stands. The son of a . . . — — Map (db m59345) HM
Named in honor of Maj. General Joseph Wheeler (USMA 1859), commander of the 2nd Cavalry Corps, Army of Tennessee, CSA.
A renowned raider, he guarded the flanks of the Confederate Army, with headquarters near present Depot site, covering the . . . — — Map (db m59396) HM
On the night of Nov. 15, 1864, the 3rd Cavalry Division of General Sherman’s army [US], which had left Atlanta early that morning on its destructive March to the Sea, camped on the west bank of Flint River near Jonesboro (6 miles N). This division, . . . — — Map (db m42325) HM
This is a memorial to Harry S. Dixon and his Fraternity Brothers in Company D, Twenty-Eighth Mississippi Volunteer Calvary, Confederate States of America. Having become members of the Sigma Chi Fraternity in college before the war, they met in an . . . — — Map (db m43071) HM
Men such as Stephen Green Dorsey represented the peak of the planter class as it existed in this locality. His father moved into what became Clayton County and built a two story log cabin shortly after the Treaty of Indian Springs in 1821 opened the . . . — — Map (db m70117) HM
Gen. Hood's move to checkmate the Federal foray at Jonesboro on the one remaining railroad entering Atlanta, resulted in two major engagements August 31 & September 1, 1864. Aug. 31. A concerted attack on the Fed. 15th A. C. between the town & . . . — — Map (db m18288) HM
Aug. 31, 1864. This immediate area was occupied by the Army of the Tenn. [US], commanded by Gen. O. O. Howard. These troops, Logan’s 15th, Ransom’s 16th & Blair’s 17th corps, marched to this position from Fairburn the previous day; the 15th & 17th . . . — — Map (db m18824) HM
Sept. 1, 1864. The area bounded by the McPeak house (N), the Warren house (S), the R. R. (E), & U.S. 41 (W), was the scene of the final pitched battle of the Atlanta Campaign (begun May 7, '64). Hardee’s A. C. [CS], posted in a salient angle at . . . — — Map (db m18185) HM
On Friday, August 19, 1864, 4,400 Federal cavalrymen under General H. Brigadier Judson Kilpatrick galloped into Jonesborough (Jonesboro). An Illinois trooper described the town as "a row of stores, dwellings and shops on each side of the . . . — — Map (db m103354) HM
One of few natural landmarks of the battle fought here Aug. 31, 1864, is the deep gully S. of marker -- the bed of a small stream flowing W. to Flint River. N. of, & parallel to it, was the refused line of Harrow’s div. of the 15th, prolonged by . . . — — Map (db m41702) HM
Clayton County was created by Act of Nov. 30, 1858 from Fayette and Henry Counties. It was named for Augustine Smith Clayton, born at Fredericksburg, Va., Nov. 27, 1783, who moved to Georgia before 1800. A graduate of the U. of Ga., he was a lawyer, . . . — — Map (db m18956) HM
Aug. 31, 1864. The three divs. of Hardee’s A. C. [CS] Lowrey’s, Brown’s & Maney’s (under Gen. Cleburne), moved W. from Jonesboro to attack the flank of the intrenched Federal 15th A. C. 400 yds. N. This called for a wheel to the right (or N.) & was . . . — — Map (db m18294) HM
Aug. 31, 1864. Lee’s troops [CS] were withdrawn from Atlanta’s defense lines evening of the 30th when Hood learned that Federal forces, after wrecking the West Point R.R. to the S.W., were threatening the Macon R.R. at Jonesboro.
Lee’s troops, . . . — — Map (db m50862) HM
Sept. 1, 1864. The withdrawal of S. D. Lee’s A. C. toward Atlanta left Hardee facing the same Federal forces of the preceding day. To meet an attack on his rt., he shifted Cleburne’s & Carter’s divs. [CS] to an extended line forming a salient angle . . . — — Map (db m36755) HM
Aug. 31, 1864. The night march of Hardee’s A. C. (followed by Anderson’s div. of S. D. Lee’s) [CS] from East Point & Rough and Ready to Jonesboro, was not without incident. About 3 A. M. the head of Brown’s column encountered Federal pickets at the . . . — — Map (db m18175) HM
Historic Jonesboro, named in honor of Samuel Goode Jones in 1845, was founded in 1823 as Leaksville. Later Clayton County was created by the Act of November 30, 1858 from Fayette and Henry Counties, and Jonesboro became the County Seat. The town . . . — — Map (db m18815) HM
Aug. 31, 1864. When Gen. Hood in Atlanta heard that Federal forces had seized the railroad at Rough and Ready & suspecting an attack from that quarter, he ordered Gen. S. D. Lee’s A. C. [CS] to move back toward Atlanta to support Stewart’s A. C. . . . — — Map (db m18809) HM
Located near the center of fighting on the second day of the Battle Jonesborough (Jonesboro), the final major battle of the Atlanta Campaign, this cemetery contains the graves of up to 1,000 Confederate soldiers killed while fighting here on August . . . — — Map (db m103182) HM
Cited in Official Records of military operations at Jonesboro, 1864; not the one standing in 1958, but one at rear on the old road of which the driveway is a remaining portion. Aug. 31, 1864, Hardee’s A. C. & Anderson’s div. of S. D. Lee’s, marched . . . — — Map (db m59426) HM
Ante-Bellum home of James F. Johnson, attorney, planter, merchant, Confederate officer and noted political figure in mid-nineteenth century Georgia. Johnson introduced the legislation which created Clayton County in 1858 and the bill which . . . — — Map (db m18183) HM
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his army [US] into two wings. The Left Wing . . . — — Map (db m36812) HM
During the War Between the States, on this property to the north and west of this house was fought a major part of the Battle of Jonesboro, August 31st and September 1st,1864. The battle was a struggle to capture the railroad to cut off supplies . . . — — Map (db m12357) HM
In this vicinity were fought the engagements that ended the Atlanta Campaign of 1864. Confederate forces under Gen. Hardee, endeavoring to defend the remaining R.R. to Atlanta, against outnumbering Federal troops, Aug. 31 & Sept. 1 were forced to . . . — — Map (db m12330) HM
To the honored memory of
the several hundred unknown
Confederate Soldiers reposing
within this enclosure who fell
at the Battle of Jonesboro
August 31-September 1, 1864
These soldiers were of Hardee’s Corps, commanded by Maj. Gen. . . . — — Map (db m74212) WM
On Oct. 12, 1864, Maj. Gen. G.W. Smith, CSA (Street Commissioner, New York City, 1858-1861), assembled a force of militia at Lovejoy's Station (0.5 miles NE) to support Iverson's division of Wheeler's cavalry corps, which was picketing the roads . . . — — Map (db m113866) HM
Morrow Station was established as a depot on the Macon & Western R. R. when it was put into operation in 1846. A post office was opened here in 1871, and the City of Morrow was incorporated in 1943.
The birthplace and childhood home of Capt. . . . — — Map (db m37016) HM
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his army [US] into two wings. The Left Wing . . . — — Map (db m125750) HM
August 30, 1864. On receipt of Hardee’s report from Rough and Ready of Federal threats to the M. & W. R. R., at Jonesboro, Hood directed Hardee & S. D. Lee [CS] to come to headquarters. The locomotive N. C. MONROE was sent for them at sunset: Hardee . . . — — Map (db m18339) HM
A way station on a stage line from Macon to upper Georgia in the 1840's; Post Office, Apr. 5, 1847 - June 24, 1869. Also, a cotton shipping point - the tavern an eating house for passengers -- after the Macon & Western (Central of Georgia) R.R. was . . . — — Map (db m18340) HM
Here stood the Rough and Ready Tavern or Old Bagley House which was at different times a residence, tavern, general store, arsenal & probably headquarters of Gen. Hardee Aug. 30, 1864. To this place, mentioned in “Gone With The Wind,” . . . — — Map (db m18342) HM
After the occupation of Atlanta by Federal forces, Sept. 2, 1864, the remaining civilians were required to register for transportation to points north or south as desired. Those electing to go south were carried, with household goods, in army . . . — — Map (db m18343) HM
Sept. 1, 1864. Gen. S. D. Lee’s A. C., withdrawn from Jonesboro after the battle Aug. 31, camped in this vicinity enroute northward via the McDonough Rd., to aid Stewart’s A. C. [CS] in Atlanta if attacked by Federals at East Point. Learning of . . . — — Map (db m36744) HM
Aug. 30, 1864. Davis’ 14th A. C. [US], having moved from Red Oak to Shoal Creek Ch., was divided into 2 columns when marching therefrom to the Fayetteville Rd. (Highway 139). Morgan’s & Carlin’s divs. went S. E. by a winding road to the Evans farm . . . — — Map (db m59433) HM
The John Renfroe house, which stood near this crossroads, marked the right flank of Federal troops moving eastward toward the Macon R. R. (Central of Georgia) in August 1864.
It was the converging point of the 15th, 16th, & 17th corps of the . . . — — Map (db m42136) HM
Because of its location at the center of Federal forces moving toward the Macon R. R. & Jonesboro, in Aug. 1864, the Drew Couch house, a log structure which stood at this site, was designated headquarters by the high command. Here, Generals Sherman . . . — — Map (db m18255) HM
Near here stood the antebellum, one-story farm house of Marcus Long, a Confederate soldier who fell on a Virginia battlefield. The house, cited several times in Official Records, was a prominent landmark in movements of the Federal 4th and 23rd . . . — — Map (db m18826) HM
Some 400 ft. S. on this ridge stood the antebellum farm house of John A. Mann (1828-1904).
It is cited in reports & dispatches of the movement of the 4th A. C. [US] from Red Oak to the Macon R. R. at Rough & Ready. Aug. 30, 1864, the 4th A. C., . . . — — Map (db m59445) HM
Having cut the A. & W.P. R. R. at Red Oak, Federal forces were shifted toward the Macon R. R. to complete the isolation of Atlanta, making it untenable by the Confederate defenders.
Aug. 30, 1864. Stanley’s 4th A. C. [US], moving S. from Red . . . — — Map (db m59455) HM