Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Onondaga County New York Historical Markers

 
Log Cabin Site Marker as seen facing East image, Touch for more information
By Yugoboy, March 11, 2013
Log Cabin Site Marker as seen facing East
New York (Onondaga County), Baldwinsville — Log Cabin Site
On Charlotte Street at West Genesee Street (New York State Route 31), on the left when traveling west on Charlotte Street.
Jonas Baldwin founder of Baldwinsville, built the first log cabin on the north side of the Seneca River near this spot in 1807. — Map (db m65339) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Baldwinsville — Mrs. I.L. Crego House
On Crego Road at Tappan Street on Crego Road.
Mrs. I.L. Crego House This Italianate-Style home, c.1879, was designed for Charlotte & Ira Lyons Crego by the region's foremost architect of the late 19th C. Archimedes Russell.Map (db m83851) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Baldwinsville — The Old Yard
On Tappan Street at McHarrie Street, on the right when traveling west on Tappan Street.
The Old Yard Early settler John McHarrie buried on his property 1807 his wife Lydia buried 1818. Dr. Jonas Baldwin & wife. Eliza W. Buried here 1827. — Map (db m83815) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Baldwinsville — 237 — World War II
Site of New York Ordnance Works 1942-1945. Manufactured "Explosive D" used in armor piercing shells. — Map (db m133163) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Brewerton — Techiroguen
On Brewerton Road (U.S. 11) at Bennett Street on Brewerton Road.
Site of Indian village Techiroguen visited by Le Moyne 1654 and by La Salle 1673 — Map (db m84022) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Camillus — 9 Mile Creek Aqueduct
[Obverse]: 9 Mile Creek Aqueduct Built 1842 By NY State. In Use 1845 - 1918, Replacing 1819 Aqueduct Located Just Downstream. One of 32 On The 19th Century Erie Canal. Canal Society of N.Y.S. . . . — Map (db m24186) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Camillus — George Geddes Farm
On Chapel Drive 0.1 miles west of Onondaga Road (New York State Route 173), on the right when traveling west.
George Geddes Farm Chosen best in state in 1846. Frederick Law Olmsted; designer of Central Park, apprenticed here that year. Stone barn remains. — Map (db m122830) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Camillus — Paddock Mill
On Warners Road at Airport Road, on the right when traveling north on Warners Road.
Flour & grist mill built in 1826-27 by Nathan Paddock. Sold to Modern Tissue Corp in 1936 called Amboy Paper Mill since. Closed 1958. — Map (db m86484) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Cardiff — Cardiff Giant
On Cherry Valley Turnpike (U.S. 20) at Field Lane, on the right when traveling east on Cherry Valley Turnpike.
Disinterred near this village on Oct. 16, 1869. Represented as a petrified prehistoric man, it was subsequently proved a hoax. — Map (db m40055) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Cardiff — The Cardiff Giant
On Tully Farms Road (County Road 234) 0.1 miles north of Webster Road, on the right when traveling south.
Discovered here October 16, 1869. It was proved a hoax, one of the greatest public deceptions in American history. — Map (db m40056) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Cicero — Childhood Home
On Brewerton Road (U.S. 11) 0.5 miles north of 31, on the right when traveling north.
Childhood Home Matilda Joslyn Gage 1826-98 writer and activist leader of New York and national woman sufferage associations. Staunch abolitionist. — Map (db m83972) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Cicero — John Leach
On Brewerton Road at New York State Route 31, on the left when traveling north on Brewerton Road.
Made first settlement at Cicero Corners in 1802. Kept a tavern in loghouse. — Map (db m82322) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Clay — Cigarville Station
On NYS Rte. 31 (New York State Route 31) 0.2 miles east of Grange Road, on the right when traveling east.
Built 1871 - served Syracuse Northern RR - burned and rebuilt about 1890. Renamed Clay Station 1903. First PO in town. D. Sotherden, Owner — Map (db m65338) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Clay — Oak Orchard
On Oak Orchard Road 0.2 miles west of Henry Clay Boulevard, on the left when traveling west.
Oak Orchard Sacred area for natives Haudenosaunee gathering, fishing and fording place. Site of massacre of Haudenosaunee people. — Map (db m83896) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Clay — Pine Plains
On Henry Clay Boulevard 0.2 miles north of New York State Route 31, on the right when traveling north.
Pine Plains First burial April 9, 1812. Inc. 1886 from Shaver Cemetery and other farm land. Veterans of Revolutionary & Civil Wars and other wars buried here. — Map (db m83876) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — Built about 1820
On West Main Street (New York State Route 5) at Valley Drive, on the right when traveling east on West Main Street.
Home of Col. John Stevens, Onondaga County Militia, War of 1812 — Map (db m139627) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — Built Circa 1835
On East Main Street (New York State Route 5) east of South Street (New York State Route 317), on the left when traveling west.
For Nathan Munro's tin shop 1870 Elbridge Glove & Mitten 1885 Harrington's Drug Store 1934-53 Red & White store 1953-61 U.S. Post Office — Map (db m139628) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — Doman House
On West Main Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling west.
First electrically lighted house in Onondaga County. Brothers Lewis B., 20, Albert E., 17 and George D., 14, built generator to provide power to home in 1887. — Map (db m139635) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — Elbridge
On New York State Route 5, on the right when traveling west.
Congregational Church First church in area organized in 1800. Church building 1824 Elbridge Community Church 1945 — Map (db m139575) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — Elbridge Central
On New York State Route 5, on the left when traveling west.

School- November 1, 1928 First central school in Onondaga County. Jordan-Elbridge Central School May 9, 1961. — Map (db m139573) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — First Log Cabin
On New York State Route 5 0.2 miles west of Hamilton Road, on the right when traveling west.
Near This Site First Log Cabin In the Town of Elbridge Built by Josiah Buck 1793 — Map (db m108730) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — Industrial Area — 1797-1929
On Mill Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling west on Mill Street.
Employed up to 600. Grist mill, chair factories piano player co., Dyneto Co., paper mill, distillery bicycle factory, many others — Map (db m139616) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — Jordan Lock 51
On New York State Route 31, on the right when traveling west.
1847 Enlarged Erie Canal Replaced Jordan Village Lock Expanded to Double Lock 1884 Locks Lengthened Power Winch Used to Lock — Map (db m109249) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — Munro Collegiate Institute
On New York State Route 5, on the left when traveling west.
Site of the Munro Collegiate Institute private secondary school Nathan Munro, founder, 1835. Relocated to this site 1854, closed 1901. — Map (db m139572) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — This Lot
On New York State Route 5, on the right when traveling west.
This lot was part of military tract of Capt. Wm. Stevens, member Mass. Society [of the] Cincinnati; First State Superintendent of Salt Industry. — Map (db m139583) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Fabius — Timothy Jerome
On Rowley Jerome Road.
Log cabin site and farm land purchased in 1793 first Fabius supervisor great great granduncle of Sir Winston Churchill — Map (db m127575) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Fayetteville — Fayetteville
On Route 5, on the right when traveling west.
First called 'Manlius Four Corners'; Settled in 1791 by Origen Eaton and Joshua Knowlton. Boyhood home of Grover Cleveland — Map (db m139571) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Fayetteville — Grover Cleveland
On Academy Street at Hwy 5 (E. Genesee St., Genesee Tpk), on the right when traveling west on Academy Street.
U.S. President 1884 - 1888 and 1892 - 1896. His boyhood home is the first house on the left north of the corner house. — Map (db m96143) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Jamesville — On-On-Da-Ga
On Jamesville Pompey Road (County Route 91) 1 mile south of East Seneca Turnpike (County Route 173), on the right when traveling north.

Site of Indian village and stockade enclosing about ten acres, with forty additional acres adjoining under cultivation. Located just east of this place burned by the Indians at the time of Frontenac's invasion August 3, 1696. Site of Father . . . — Map (db m131790) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Jordan — Erie Canal
On North Main Street (New York State Route 317), on the right when traveling north.
Opened 1819 in Jordan Abandoned Fall of 1917 Aqueduct built 1841 when the canal was enlarged Canal Park built 1932 — Map (db m12544) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Jordan — 362 — Sheldon Peck
On South Skaneateles Street.
Renowned early American folk artist, portrait painter and abolitionist, lived on this lot with his family from 1828 to 1836. — Map (db m127995) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Kirkville — 208 — Pool's Brook
On North Poolsbrook Road, on the right when traveling south.
Named For Peter Pool Who Built Saw Mill On This Site ca. 1815. Pool's Store Served Those Traveling Erie Canal. — Map (db m109211) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Lafayette — 291 — Rounds Cemetery
On Lafayette Road, on the left when traveling north.
Family of early Lafayette settlers buried here from 1802-1862. Comfort Rounds fought in French and Indian War ca. 1755. — Map (db m133051) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Liverpool — Nathan Teall
On New York State Route 31 at Oswego Road (County Road 57), on the right when traveling north on State Route 31.
Nathan Teall First Postmaster West Cicero 1825 changed to Clay 1828 — Map (db m82075) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Lysander — On This Hill
On Belgium Road (New York State Route 31) 0.2 miles west of Baldwinsville Bypass (New York State Route 631), on the right when traveling east.
On This Hill in the original house, 31 women organized the Female Charitable Society, second oldest woman's society in the U.S., July 27, 1817 — Map (db m83853) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Lysander — Willett Tract
On River Road 0.5 miles south of Belgium Road (New York State Route 31), on the left when traveling south.
Willett Tract This site is part of the military tract allotment deeded on July 9, 1790 to Marinus Willett, Revolutionary War hero — Map (db m83875) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Manlius — 238 — Early Cemetery
Headstones date to 1803. Civil War veteran & Medal of Honor recipient Norman Potter and many Revolutionary War veterans buried here. — Map (db m128022) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Manlius — 28 — Pompey Stone — Legends & Lore
1800s prank believed true. Engraved "Leo de L'N VI 1520" as memorial for 1500s explorer. Found 1820 near this site. 1894 hoax revealed. — Map (db m129020) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Marcellus — First Sawmill
On West Seneca Turnpike (Main Street) (New York State Route 175) 0.2 miles east of North St. (New York State Route 174), on the left when traveling west.
First sawmill in Town of Marcellus built 1796 by Deacon Samuel Rice and Judge Dan Bradley. — Map (db m40097) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Marcellus — Site of First Frame House
On West Seneca Turnpike (Main Street) (Route 175) just east of North Street (U.S. 174), on the right when traveling west.
Site of first frame house in Town of Marcellus. Built by Dr. Elnathan Beach who served in American Revolution; sheriff of county from 1799 to 1801. — Map (db m40096) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Marcellus — Site of Old Hotel
On West Seneca Turnpike (Main Street) (New York State Route 175) 0 miles east of North Street (New York State Route 174).
Site of old hotel kept by Dr. Bildad Beach. Gen. LaFayette stopped here June 9, 1824. — Map (db m40095) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Memphis — 487 — Old Erie Canal
On Bennetts Corners Road (County Route 66).
Formerly called Canton, Memphis was half-way stop on original canal route: 179 miles from Buffalo and 183 miles from Albany — Map (db m132667) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Nedrow — Nedrow c. 1798
On South Salina Street (U.S. 11) at Wendell Road/Rockwell Road on South Salina Street.
Known as Onondaga Castle until 1897. Renamed Rockwell Springs for the sulphur springs & picnic area. Nedrow P.O. est'd 1917. — Map (db m40072) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Salina — Jesuit Mission — French Fort, Jesuit Well, Col. Van Schaick
On Onondaga Lake Parkway (New York State Route 370) 1 mile south of Oswego Street.
Jesuit Mission The salt springs at Onondaga Lake were visited by Father LeMoyne, August 16, 1654. The following year Fathers Chaumonot and Dablon made a settlement here and on 1656 founded the mission of Ste. Marie of Ganentaa which was . . . — Map (db m91167) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — "Factory Gulf"
On East Lake Road (New York State Route 41) 0.2 miles north of Buff's Bluff, on the right when traveling north.
Founded by Amos Miner circa 1805 Carding and fulling factory woolen and clothing works "accelerated wheel heads" — Map (db m108496) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — 15 — Benjamin C. Cook — Legends & Lore
On Crow Hill Road at Frost Street on Crow Hill Road.
Native of Mottville NY Civil War veteran who suggested flags to decorate graves, honoring both Union and Confederate soldiers — Map (db m129024) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — N. Leonard's Inn 1798
On Franklin Street Road, on the left when traveling east.
Nathan Leonard Revolutionary War veteran Pioneer settler and farmer — Map (db m131522) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — Sherwood Inn
On West Genesee Street (U.S. 20) at Hannum St., on the left when traveling east on West Genesee Street.
Site of the old Sherwood Inn built about 1800 — Map (db m108500) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — Site of The Great Fire
On E. Genesee Street at State Street Road, on the right when traveling west on E. Genesee Street.
September 28, 1835 thirteen lakeside buildings were destroyed commencing in Parsons Cabinet Shop. — Map (db m100709) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — St. John's Beach
On East Genesee Street (U.S. 20) 0.2 miles east of State Street Road (New York State Route 321), on the left when traveling west.
Bishop Frederic Cammerhoff and David Zeisberger, Moravian missionaries, built the first Skaneateles shelter on this site June 1750

Historic Marker Skaneateles 1999 — Map (db m108498) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — Steeple Bell
On East Lake Road (New York State Route 41) at Bacon Hill Rd, on the right when traveling south on East Lake Road.
Installed circa 1874 Spafford Union Meeting House 1838-1976 — Map (db m108494) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — 286 — Wm. H.H. Crosier
On West Genesee Street at West Lake Street, on the right when traveling east on West Genesee Street.
Skaneateles resident awarded Medal of Honor. Badly wounded in Civil War. In 1864 retrieved regiment flag from behind enemy line — Map (db m133055) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Spafford — Borodino Hall
On East Lake Road (New York State Route 41) at Nunnery Rd. on East Lake Road.
Site of first religious society of Borodino Church c. 1833 Spafford Town Hall 1870 Borodino Grange #1272 1912-1997 Spafford Area Historical Society 1997 — Map (db m108495) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — atLantic ocean
On Tompkins Street west of Lowell Avenue, on the right when traveling east.

the head representing the Atlantic Ocean features Neptune's trident upholding a crescent shaped moon, indicative of the relationship between the moon and the tides. To one side is the compass chart and to the other is the compass box top . . . — Map (db m110223) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Boyne
On Tompkins Street west of Lowell Avenue, on the right when traveling east.

the Boyne head features the date "1690" - the year of the Battle of the Boyne when the Catholic King James was defeated by King William (Billy) of Orange.

The river rises in County Westmeath, touches County Offaly, flows into County . . . — Map (db m110217) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Coleman's Irish Pub — Est. 1933 — Tipperary Hill —
On Tompkins Street west of Lowell Avenue, on the right when traveling east.

[Title is text]

———————————————————

[Just for fun]

Coleman's provides the one and only Leprechaun Entrance . . . — Map (db m110226) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — 5 — Courier Building — The Freedom Trail — The Underground Railroad —
On East Washington Street west of Montgomery Street, on the right when traveling west.
”It is treason, treason, TREASON, and nothing else.” Daniel Webster, about refusing to carry out the Fugitive Slave Law, 1851. On September 18, 1850, President Millard Fillmore signed the Fugitive Slave Act, requiring . . . — Map (db m138795) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Daniel Webster's "Syracuse Speech"
On Montgomery Street north of East Washington Street, on the right when traveling south.
From this balcony in May of 1851 Daniel Webster Secretary of State delivered the ”Syracuse Speech”. — Map (db m138867) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — 9 — Enoch Reed — The Freedom Trail — The Underground Railroad —
On Lodi Street west of Butternut Street, on the left when traveling west.
"No man ever possessed a more generous heart, or more honorable feelings." — from Enoch Reed's obituary, Syracuse Standard, June 10, 1853 Born free in Ohio about 1813, African American Enoch Reed was one of more than a . . . — Map (db m138799) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Erie Boulevard Was Once the Erie Canal
On Erie Boulevard East (New York State Route 5) east of Montgomery Street, on the right when traveling west.
You are standing across from the Weighlock Building on the towpath of the canal where the mule drivers and the mules that pulled canal boats once trod. The Syracuse Weighlock Building, built in 1850 to weigh canal boats, is the last surviving . . . — Map (db m138698) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Erie Canal
On Erie Boulevard East (New York State Route 5) east of Montgomery Street, on the right when traveling west.
The historic 60 foot wide right-of-way that became the Erie Canal in 1825 established N.Y.S. as the route to the west for an expanding nation. This corridor of commerce and culture, extending from Albany to Buffalo, made New York the Empire State. — Map (db m138685) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — 3 — Fayette Park — The Freedom Trail — The Underground Railroad —
On South Townsend Street north of East Genesee Street (New York State Route 92), on the left when traveling north.
”… numbers of persons, who have never felt any interest in the cause of the slave, before, now seem to have all their sympathies awakened, in his behalf.” —from Diary of Ellen Birdseye Wheaton (Boston, 1923) . . . — Map (db m138793) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — 11 — George and Rebecca Barnes House — The Freedom Trail — The Underground Railroad —
On James Street (New York State Route 290) 0.1 miles east of Highland Street, on the right when traveling east.
” …take into consideration the Principles of the American Government, and the extent to which they are trampled under foot by the Fugitive Slave Law.” —a call for a mass convention, signed by George Barnes, 1851 . . . — Map (db m138791) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — 6 — Hanover Square — The Freedom Trail — The Underground Railroad —
On East Water Street at East Genesee Street, on the right when traveling east on East Water Street.
”…when Susan B. Anthony urged Republicans to take a stand against slavery, Syracusans burned her in effigy in Hanover Square.” Hanover Square (1) was a busy commercial district and civic gathering place in the mid-19th . . . — Map (db m138796) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Harriet May Mills House
On West Genesee Street (New York State Route 5) at Liberty Street, on the right when traveling west on West Genesee Street.
Home Of Harriet May Mills, Pres. Of N.Y. Woman Sufferage Assoc. 1st Woman to Run For Sec. Of State (1920) Founder Of On. Cty. Women's Democ. Club — Map (db m109248) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Heritage Monument Founders 1997
On Milton Avenue at Tompkins Street, on the right when traveling north on Milton Avenue.

The Coleman Family • The Leigh-Hayden Family The O'Brien Family • Hon. Leo Hayes & Family The Dorsey Family • The Gooley Family Jerry Wilson • The Collins Family • Chris Witting The Ken Davis Family • The Dennis Ryan Family Mayor . . . — Map (db m110366) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — How Much Does a Canal Boat Weigh? — Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor
On Erie Boulevard East (New York State Route 5) east of Montgomery Street, on the right when traveling west.
That's the Weighlock Building across Erie Boulevard, where canal boats were weighed and tolls paid when this busy street was the Erie Canal. Cargo boats entered the stone lock chamber beneath the overhang, gates were closed at each end, the water . . . — Map (db m138700) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Kana-Ta-Go-Wah — (Big Village Near The Council House)
On Salina Street (U.S. 11) at Dorwin Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Salina Street.

Large Iroquois-Onondaga village located on east bank of Onondaga Creek and extending to this site

Onondaga Indians began to settle here after the burning of Onondaga Village in Frontenac's Invasion 1696 From 1720 known as . . . — Map (db m124421) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Liffey
On Tompkins Street west of Lowell Avenue, on the right when traveling east.

the Liffey is the only female head and occupies the place of honour facing onto the quays and the river. The face is crowned by flowers and fruits and superimposed by a trident representing the city's powers over the waters of Dublin Bay . . . — Map (db m110220) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Onondaga Indians
On Erie Boulevard East at Oswego Boulevard (New York State Route 5), on the left when traveling east on Erie Boulevard East.
In 1793 out of a total population of thirty-three inhabitants in the village of Salina, thirty persons were sick. The remaining three inhabitants with the help of neighborly and friendly Onondaga Indians took care of the sick for two months. In the . . . — Map (db m138696) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Pitts Park
On Erie Boulevard East west of Montgomery Street, on the right when traveling east.
Pitts Park is located next to the Syracuse Weighlock Building, on the site of a former widewaters where boat captains would wait their turn to enter the weighlock. At your left, where Oswego and Erie Boulevards intersect today, was the confluence of . . . — Map (db m138699) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — 8 — Prince Jackson House Site — The Freedom Trail — The Underground Railroad —
On North Salina Street (U.S. 11) south of Butternut Street, on the right when traveling south.
”A strictly honest man…” Born about 1807 in Oneida County, Prince Jackson was one of the earliest African American settlers in Syracuse and the earliest to have a documented deed for property. He came to Syracuse about . . . — Map (db m138798) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — 2 — Rev. Jermain and Mrs. Caroline Loguen — The Freedom Trail — The Underground Railroad —
On East Genesee Street (New York State Route 92) at Pine Street, on the right when traveling west on East Genesee Street.
"What is life to me if I am to be slave in Tennessee? My neighbors! I have lived with you many years… My home is here, my children were born here… I don't respect this law — I don't fear it — I don't obey it! It outlaws me, and I . . . — Map (db m138792) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — 10 — Rose Hill Cemetery / African Americans on the North Side — The Freedom Trail — The Underground Railroad —
On Lodi Street east of Douglas Street, on the left when traveling east.
By the 1820s and 1830s, families such as the Allens, Jacksons, Reeds, Robinsons, Thompsons, Wales, and Wandells formed a coherent black community. Rose Hill Cemetery Established in 1841, Rose Hill was the burial place of many . . . — Map (db m138800) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Scott Mulholland — 4/4/1959 thru 9/3/2010
On Milton Avenue at Tompkins Street, on the right when traveling north on Milton Avenue.

Original member of the "Traditional Painting of the Shamrock"Map (db m110363) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Shannon
On Tompkins Street east of Lowell Avenue, on the right when traveling east.

the greatest of Irish rivers - the lordly Shannon - features oak leaves and acorns, themselves symbols of strength and nobility. The trident represents Limerick City's sovereignty over the mighty Estuary. The river rises in [C]ounty . . . — Map (db m110222) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Syracuse Area — Historic New York
Near NYS Thruway - Warners Rest Area.
Onondaga Indians, the keepers of the council fires for the Iroquois League, lived here. French soldiers and Jesuit missionaries came from Canada in 1654 to seek their friendship. In that year, Father Simon Le Moyne discovered salt springs in the . . . — Map (db m57112) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Syracuse Area — Historic New York
On Interstate 90 1 mile west of New York State Route 233, on the right when traveling east.
Onondaga Indians, the keepers of the council fires for the Iroquois League, lived here. French soldiers and Jesuit missionaries came from Canada in 1654 to seek their friendship. In that year, Father Simon LeMoyne discovered salt springs in the . . . — Map (db m64982) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — The Banks of the Erie Canal — Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor
On South Clinton Street at Erie Boulevard West, on the left when traveling south on South Clinton Street.
Several Syracuse banks sprouted here along the Erie Canal, each striving to benefit from the commerce of a fast growing city. When the first canal section opened here in 1820 the settlement had 60 people. By 1900 its population reached 108,000. . . . — Map (db m138697) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — The Great Central Depot — The Freedom Trail — The Underground Railroad —
On East Jefferson Street at East Onondaga Street, on the left when traveling east on East Jefferson Street.
The Underground Railroad: What Was It? Traveling by foot, wagon, boat, or railroad, between 100,000 and 150,000 African Americans sought freedom in Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean or the northern U.S. before the end of U.S. slavery in 1865. . . . — Map (db m138801) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — The Jerry Rescue
On South Clinton Street south of Erie Boulevard West, on the left when traveling south.
In 1827, the State of New York was among the first in the Union to abolish slavery. By the mid-1800's, Syracuse was known nationally as a hub of anti-slavery activity. Harriet Tubman, Gerrit Smith, the Rev. Samuel J. May, and the Rev. Jermain W. . . . — Map (db m138797) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — 325 — The Sanatorium
On West Seneca Turnpike.
Onondaga Sanatorium for the Treatment of Tuberculosis for Adults and Children opened October 1916 closed May 1959 — Map (db m133052) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — 34 — Thirteen Curves — Legends & Lore
On West Seneca Turnpike at Cedarvale Road, on the right when traveling east on West Seneca Turnpike.
Along this route a woman in white searches for her groom. Both died on their wedding night in the early 1900s while driving the 13 curves. — Map (db m129018) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — 420 — University Club
Home to University Club of Syracuse from 1917-1986. After various uses, CNY Philanthropy Center established 2010. — Map (db m132724) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — 4 — Wesleyan Methodist Church — The Freedom Trail — The Underground Railroad —
On East Jefferson Street at East Onondaga Street, on the left when traveling east on East Jefferson Street.
"The president of the railroad… humanely provided me with free passes for the fugitives on the road to Canada and freedom." — Charles Merrick, Reminiscences of the Jerry Rescue, 1893 The Wesleyan Methodist Church was a . . . — Map (db m138794) HM

85 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement