On Worth Street Northeast at Market Street Northeast, on the left when traveling east on Worth Street Northeast.
Charleston, formerly Fort Cass during the “Trail of Tears” (Indian removal of 1838), was strategically important in the military struggle for East Tennessee. The East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad bridge here, the line’s only crossing . . . — — Map (db m69343) HM
On Market Street Northeast north of Cass Street Northeast, on the right when traveling north.
During the war, Henegar House’s occupants, as in many other Tennessee homes, were divided in their loyalties. Henry Benton Henegar, the owner, was a Unionist while his wife, Margaret Lea Henegar, was a secessionist. Whenever Confederates occupied . . . — — Map (db m69346) HM
On Keith Street Northwest (U.S. 11) at Stuart Road, on the right when traveling north on Keith Street Northwest.
Here stood the home of John Walker, Junior, known as “Chief Jack”. A grandson of Nancy Ward, he was prominent in the affairs of the Cherokee nation, belonging to the party advocating a voluntary treaty of removal of the Cherokees to the . . . — — Map (db m81366) HM
On Dalton Pike (Tennessee Route 60) 0.4 miles south of Old Weatherly Switch Road SE (Tennessee Route 317), on the left when traveling south.
After battles at Chattanooga in November 1863, and before the Atlanta Campaign the following May, southern Bradley County lay between Union and Confederate lines at Cleveland, Tennessee, and Dalton, Georgia. Both armies scouted the area. Soldiers . . . — — Map (db m115884) HM
On Inman Street East (U.S. 64) at Parker Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east on Inman Street East.
When the Civil War began, Cleveland was a divided community with most residents being sympathetic to the Union. Confederate troops occupied the area in 1861 to control the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad and to protect the vitally important . . . — — Map (db m69342) HM
On 1st Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east.
Benjamin Cleveland was born in Virginia, later served in the North Carolina House of Commons and led the Wilkes County militia at the Battle of Kings' Mountain on October 7, 1780. This battle was considered a turning point of the American Revolution . . . — — Map (db m107924) HM
Near Blythewood Road Southwest at Harris Creek Road Southwest, on the right when traveling north.
In 1873, Bennet Cooper (1797-1886) gave one-quarter of an acre of land for a family burying ground. His first wife, Lydia, was buried there along with several other family members. The cemetery is located on a ridge behind the Cooper Homeplace which . . . — — Map (db m81367) HM
Near 12th Street SW west of Goode Street SW, on the right when traveling west.
First called City Cemetery, this is the resting place of both Confederate and Union soldiers. On November 4, 1862, a train wreck south of Cleveland killed 17 Confederate soldiers who are buried here in a mass grave. Nearby engagements in 1863 . . . — — Map (db m102186) HM
On North Ocoee Street (Tennessee Route 74) at Centenary Avenue NW, on the right when traveling north on North Ocoee Street.
Since 1885 this campus has been dedicated to the purposes of Christian higher education. Lee College was founded by the Church of God as Bible Training School on January 1, 1918, on Caut Avenue in Cleveland. The school relocated in Sevierville in . . . — — Map (db m49558) HM
On Central Avenue NW at Oak Street NW, on the right when traveling east on Central Avenue NW.
Chartered Dec. 16, 1837, this was the first such institution in the Ocoee Purchase; here was its home during its entire existence. An early teacher (1843) was Henry von Aldehoff, a native of Prussia and graduate of Bonn University. This building was . . . — — Map (db m49559) HM
One mile west was this Cherokee council ground. Here was held the last council between the United States and the Cherokee nation, preceding the removal of the Indians to Indian Territory, now Oklahoma. John Howard Payne, author of “Home, . . . — — Map (db m49722) HM