Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Historical Markers in Jamaica

 
Fort Montego Armoury Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, November 21, 2015
Fort Montego Armoury Marker
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Fort Montego Armoury
All forts had buildings in which weapons and ammunition were kept safe. These were known as armouries and were heavily fortified buildings. The thick walls provided protection from direct hits, even the roof is built from cut stone to deflect shots . . . — Map (db m92386) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Fort Montego Cannons
Cannons were used in forts for the defence of harbours. Fort Montego had seventeen (17) cannons mounted in its heyday. Three (3) remain, two (2) dated 1810 and one (1) 1813. These are cast iron cannons manufactured by the Carron and Company Works . . . — Map (db m92379) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Fort Montego History
The fort was originally built in 1750; it was then known as Fort Frederick, later as Fort George. Fort Montego designed by European engineers, was built by enslaved Jamaicans to guard the town of Montego Bay. Built in the shape of a polygon, the . . . — Map (db m92385) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Jamaica's Independence and Royal Visit
This tablet commemorates Jamaica’s achievement of independence on the 6th of August, 1962, and the visit of Her Royal Highness The Princess Margaret Countess of Snowdon and The Earl of Snowdon to Montego Bay on the 8th of August, 1962. — Map (db m129887) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Montego Bay Civic Centre
Montego Bay Civic Centre The Montego Bay Civic Centre was redeveloped by the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) for the St. James Parish Council, from the ruins of the old burnt-out courthouse built in 1804 The UDC carried out this project . . . — Map (db m129885) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Montego Bay HistoryFort Montego
The area was settled by the Taino. Columbus arrived in 1494 on the 2nd voyage, anchored in the bay and called it Golfo de Buen Tiempo or the Gulf of Good Weather. The Spanish used it to ship Manteca or Lard from the slaughtering of . . . — Map (db m92252) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Rose Hall Great House
National Monument Jamaica National Trust Commission — Map (db m129958) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Sam Sharpe
Sam Sharpe was enslaved on both the Croydon Plantation and at a property in Montego Bay in St. James. He was owned by Samuel Sharpe, Esquire, Attorney. He was a man of exceptional intelligence and a Baptist lay preacher. He believed all men were . . . — Map (db m129853) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — The Cage
The Cage The cage dates back to 1806. A belfry was built in 1811. In about 1823 this was replaced with todays building of bricks and mortar. The Cage was used as an overnight lockup for vagrants, drunks, runaways and plantation slaves . . . — Map (db m129717) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (Saint Ann), Discovery Bay — Chattanooga Cane Mill
Chattanooga Cane Mill This type of cane mill fitted with corrugated metal rolls, was first produced in 1897, and is still in production. Cane is passed from front to rear, through one aperture and returned through the other thus receiving two . . . — Map (db m130104) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (Saint Ann), Discovery Bay — Clan Campbell Coat of Arms
This stone from Knapdale Estate, St. Ann, shows the coat of arms of the Clan Campbell of Argyll, used by the earliest recorded owner of Knapdale Duncan Campbell (1772-1791) a descendant of the first Duke of Argyll. — Map (db m130138) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (Saint Ann), Discovery Bay — Jamaica in 1494
A botanical investigation of 1956 revealed that the enclosed area, undisturbed for centuries because of its inaccessibility and its rocky soil, had preserved the indigenous plant life as it must have appeared in 1494 in which year Christopher . . . — Map (db m105155) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (Saint Ann), Discovery Bay — Logwood Scale
Logwood Scale This scale was located at Pantrepant in the Parish of Trelawny. It was used to weigh logwood, which was utilized extensively as a dyestuff from the 16th century, and was among Jamaica’s prime exports from that time until the . . . — Map (db m130106) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (Saint Ann), Discovery Bay — Planet Locomotive
Planet Locomotive This Planet Locomotive equipped with a horizontally opposed 4 cylinder 2 stroke 20 hp diesel engine was last in operation at Inswood Estate. It was used to haul sugar cane from field to factory and was capable of a maximum . . . — Map (db m130105) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (Saint Ann), Discovery Bay — Sugar in Jamaica
Sugar Sugar was introduced to the New World by Columbus on his 2nd voyage. In 1493, he took canes from Gomera in the Canaries to Hispaniola. It is recorded that Francisco Garay, Spanish Governor in 1527, built a mill and made good sugar. The . . . — Map (db m129957) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (Saint Ann), Ocho Rios — Ocho Rios Fort
Ocho Rios Fort The Ocho Rios Fort is one of the oldest buildings in Ocho It was originally built in the 17th century and was strengethned in 1780 when Jamaica was experiencing an attack from French forces. Its unique location allows . . . — Map (db m129718) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (St. Andrew), Industry Village — The Grand Barbecue at Cold Spring Estate
Grand Barbecue This is the largest of the four barbecues used to dry coffee from 1776. Stone walls were built in the 18th century by slaves. — Map (db m129932) HM
Jamaica, Surrey (Kingston), Port Royal — Fort Charles
Fort Charles, built in 1656, is the oldest fort in Jamaica. Originally named Fort Cromwell, it was renamed in 1662 to honour Charles II, restored King of England. The original armament of 10 guns was increased to 36 in 1667 and to 104 in 1765. When . . . — Map (db m92249) HM
Jamaica, Surrey (Kingston), Port Royal — H.M.S. "Aboukir"
The machinery of this factory was erected by the engineers of H.M.S. "Aboukir" Steam up April 20th 1865 J. Harwood Chief Engr Pr Cracroft. C.B. Commodore — Map (db m92388) HM
Jamaica, Surrey (Kingston), Port Royal — Horatio Nelson in Jamaica
In this place dwelt Horatio Nelson, —————— You who tread his footprints remember his glory. — Map (db m91179) HM
Jamaica, Surrey (Kingston), Port Royal — Lucas Barrett
In Memory of Lucas Barrett F.G.S. F.L.S. Director of the Jamaican Geological Survey From 1859 to 1862 Who died while conducting underwater research off Port Royal on December 19, 1862 aged twenty five years. Erected by The Geological Society of . . . — Map (db m92247) HM
Jamaica, Surrey (Kingston), Port Royal — St. Peter's Church
Completed 1726 To replace the original parish church sunk below the waves in 1692 — Map (db m92246) HM
Jamaica, Surrey (Kingston), Port Royal — The 1907 and 1957 Jamaica Earthquakes
The 1907 Earthquake Port Royal On January 14, 1907 at about 3:30 a.m. a severe earthquake occurred which affected the Kingston-Port Royal area. In Port Royal the shock caused the still standing walls of the sunken city to collapse. The most . . . — Map (db m92410) HM
Jamaica, Surrey (Kingston), Port Royal — The Great War 1914-1918
Message to the Governor of Jamaica from the Secretary of State for the Colonies 16th November 1918. Now that the War has been brought to a victorious conclusion I desire on-behalf of his Majesty's Government to express to the people of Jamaica and . . . — Map (db m92395) WM
Jamaica, Surrey (Kingston), Port Royal — The Historic Royal Naval Hospital
Built around 1818, the Historic Royal Naval Hospital is an early example of the use of cast iron in construction. It was designed by a team headed by naval architect Edward Holl and constructed using the labour of enslaved Africans. The . . . — Map (db m92248) HM
Jamaica, Surrey (Kingston), Port Royal — Welcome to Port Royal
Once called the "richest and wickedest city in the world," Port Royal was also the virtual capital of Jamaica. To it came men of all races, treasures of silks, doubloons and gold from Spanish ships, looted on the high seas by the notorious "Brethren . . . — Map (db m91193) HM
Jamaica, Surrey (Kingston), Port Royal — 'Ye Olde Parade Bar'
Built in the 18th century as a penny lodging and bar serving the population of Port Royal including the british sailors and soldiers stationed at Fort Charles. During the last century it was managed by a chinese family who remained in control until . . . — Map (db m92387) HM
Jamaica, Surrey (St. Andrew), Kingston — Bob Marley
The Honourable Robert Nesta Marley O.M. (1945-1981) Born on February 6, 1945, in Rhoden Hall, Nine Miles, St. Ann, Robert Nesta Marley took Reggae music and its message into the hearts of millions worldwide. His voice represented the . . . — Map (db m129890) HM
Jamaica, Surrey (St. Andrew), Kingston — Rita Marley
Rita Marley O.D. (Nama Afua Addobea 1) Founder of The Bob Marley Museum Internationally, the name Marley has become synonymous with reggae music and the culture of Jamaica. The talented young Rita Anderson, who was raised from childhood in . . . — Map (db m129929) HM

29 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement