Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Industry & Commerce Historical Markers

241 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 41
 
Alfred Block and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, June 28, 2017
Alfred Block and Marker
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Alfred Block
Mary Alfred was one of Baker City’s pioneer businesswomen. She and here husband, Francis Alfred, came to Baker County in 1870. She had a millinery and mantua (robe) shop in her home. Mr. Alfred drove a stage between Baker City and La Grande. In . . . — Map (db m108053) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Antlers HotelBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
In the early days of the 20th Century, the Antlers Hotel was a bustling three-story hotel which boasted a fine restaurant and bar. The hotel had an elevator. The upper corridors were naturally lighted by “light wells” and skylights. . . . — Map (db m108096) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Baker Loan and Trust BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
Prominent local businessman William Pollman contracted to have the Baker Loan and Trust Building built in 1910, after a major fire destroyed another building on the site, along with two buildings to the south. The building was designed by . . . — Map (db m108043) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Basche-Sage Hardware Co. Building
Basche-Sage Hardware Co. was one of Baker City’s largest firms for more than 100 years. The company began when Peter Basche purchased a Baker City tin shop in 1876. In 1888, Basche merged with the Sage and Grace hardware store. Stores were opened in . . . — Map (db m108084) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Bishop Building
The Bishop Building stands as a testament to the strength and durability of volcanic tuff, which was used to construct many of Baker City’s major buildings during the first decade of the 1900s. A fire gutted the building in 1940, but it remained . . . — Map (db m108079) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Flynn BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
The central two-story portion of their building was constructed in 1910. In the 1940s, single-story wings of reinforced concrete were added to both sides of the original structure. In its early years, the building housed the Chas. I. Flynn and . . . — Map (db m108102) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Geiser Grand HotelBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
When Baker City reigned as the “Queen City of the Inland Empire,” the Geiser Grand Hotel was a jewel in her crown. Built in 1889, the hotel soon earned a reputation for offering the finest accommodations between Seattle and Salt Lake . . . — Map (db m108065) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Gerstle-Solomon BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
This building was one of Baker City’s first masonry structures when constructed about 1879. Solomon’s One Price Clothing House originally occupied the first floor of the north half of the building. By the 1990s, footware had been sold in the . . . — Map (db m108211) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Gwilliam Brothers BakeryBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
In October 1940 Gwilliam Brothers Bakery celebrated the business’s new building with a grand opening. Designed for high-volume bakery operations, the brick structure had a delivery truck garage in the rear and a large central oven set on a concrete . . . — Map (db m108161) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Haskell BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
Haskell was one of Baker City’s leading real estate developers of the late 1800s and early 1900s. He also engaged in many other pursuits. He was born in 1850 in Ohio. At age 18, he went to Montana to become a miner. He later mined in Nevada, . . . — Map (db m108064) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — J.C. Penney BuildingHistoric Oregon Trail — Established 1874 —
The lot which this building occupies was first the location of a wood frame structure housing the McCord Brothers blacksmith shop. In 1867, Dr. J.M. Boyd and John W. Wisdom leased the structure to open Baker City’s first drug store. Wisdom continued . . . — Map (db m108041) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Jett BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
John Jett’s stonemason’s skills are manifest in the inscription carved at the roof level of his building - “J.H. Jett Marble Works, 1901.” The Jett Building was the first in Baker City of volcanic tuff construction. Ten commercial or . . . — Map (db m108206) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Kennedy BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
This site was the location of Baker City’s first brick hotel, the Cosmopolitan. The Rev. P. DeRoo, a Catholic priest who aquired (sic) extensive real estate interests, had the two-story building built in 1875. The hotel also served as the city’s . . . — Map (db m108063) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Log Cabin SaloonBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
Mike Hoff, a “tonsorial artist” (barber) in Baker City in the 1890s, built this building for his business. After a few years, however, Hoff went into partnership with Valentine Bildner to open a saloon in the building. During the . . . — Map (db m108060) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Lynndale BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
The Lynndale Building was constructed about 1890. The northernmost of the three first-floor bays was occupied by a saloon from the building's earliest days. The establishment first was named Henry the Fourth, then The Club. Later it became the . . . — Map (db m108077) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Mann Block
The Mann Block, built in 1890, originally housed one of the many saloons located in this block during Baker City’s early, rowdy years. Like most of the establishments, the saloon operated on the first floor, with a bawdy house and gambling rooms . . . — Map (db m108052) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — McCord House and ShopBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
“McCord’s Corner” contributed much to Baker City history. S. (Syrenus) B. McCord was the first mayor of Baker City. City residents elected him to four terms, and he also served several terms as county treasurer. In 1873, McCord . . . — Map (db m108209) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Miller Apartment BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
This building was the location in the 1920s of the Lew Brothers Tire Co., which later moved to Bridge Street. After the tire company relocated, the building was purchased by Glenn Miller, owner of Miller’s Lunch in the adjacent building to the east. . . . — Map (db m108097) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Miller's Lunch BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
This stucco-over-clay block building was constructed in 1923 as a "temporary" structure after a fire destroyed another building on the site. A block store first occupied the building, then an ice cream parlor. Glenn Miller, a local candy-maker, . . . — Map (db m108162) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Mint-Fox BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
The Mint-Fox Building was constructed as two adjoining structures, the south half in 1888, the north in 1889. The buildings were erected by A.A. Houston, a local builder. Houston first rented the south building to two miners, Lorenzo Durkee and . . . — Map (db m108061) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Rogers HotelBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
Baker City at the beginning of the 20th Century was the hub for a vast area of commerce, including mining, agriculture and forest products. Merchandise flowed into the city for distribution to dozens of smaller communities. Likewise, business . . . — Map (db m108194) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Shoemaker BuildingBaker City Historic District — Established 1874 —
William Shoemaker, a partner in a Baker City wholesale grocery and grain business, built this building in 1906. Before moving to Baker City, Shoemaker had been in business at Rock Creek, a small community in north Baker Valley. He built and operated . . . — Map (db m108103) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — The Lure of GoldOregon Trail — Oregon History —
Beginning in 1843, thousands of Oregon Trail emigrants trekked through this region toward new lives in the West. This epic journey indelibly etched the landscape with wagon ruts, such as those near by. When Henry Griffin, a prospector from . . . — Map (db m108128) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Weller-Henry Building
A fire that started in a billiard hall destroyed all the structures on this block in 1886. Several property owners chose to rebuild, and four adjoining brick buildings were constructed the following year. This building was constructed for Messrs. . . . — Map (db m108050) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Granite — Red Boy Mine
In the early 1880s, the Red Boy Vein was located and claimed by Daniel Pinson, a Cherokee Indian. The claim did not pan enough free gold to work without a mill. His only legacy is the mine's name. In 1886 it became a paying proposition when . . . — Map (db m106767) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Granite — The Fremont Powerhouse Historic DistrictHistory written by nature and people
Natural landforms gave local settlers an opportunity to shape history. As you explore the remains of the gold rush era, consider the partnership of people and nature. A lake the ice forgot When the Ice Age glaciers melted, they left . . . — Map (db m106762) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Sumpter — A Golden HistorySumpter Valley Dredge
Welcome to the historic world of Sumpter Valley Dredge State Heritage Area! Here you will find one of the largest gold dredges in the United States. There are many ways to learn about the dredge and the people who worked it, from tours to . . . — Map (db m106794) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Sumpter — A Tale of the TailingsNatural Recovery
As you drove here, you probably saw long rows of rocks all over the valley. These are tailings - topsoil , riverbed rock, and bedrock, left behind by 40 years of dredging. Because of the dredges' systematic destruction, the original meadow and . . . — Map (db m111243) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Sumpter — A Working DredgeThe Ultimate Gold Mining Machine
The dredge is a huge but simple machine for mining an ancient river bed for gold. It is an expensive, powerful improvement on the shovel and rocker box. Miners used to call the dredge a "goose"---and for good reason. The dredge is "fed" at the . . . — Map (db m106890) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Sumpter — Floating in its own pondMoving the dredge
The dredge floated in about nine feet of water- but it could move anywhere it wanted in the valley because it took its pond with it. Hard to imagine, isn't it? It worked because the dredge dug a pond for itself to float in as it moved -- . . . — Map (db m106871) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Sumpter — Site of Bank of SumpterSumpter, Oregon
Bank was established in 1899 with a capital stock of $10,000.00. The first officers were A.P. Goss, President and A.H. Goss, Cashier. The bank was destroyed by fire on August 13, 1917 and the vault is all that remains. — Map (db m111241) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Sumpter — Sumpter, Oregon
The bustling boom town of Sumpter stretched from here westward to Powder River at the peak of the mining boom. The mining camp was named for Fort Sumter, South Carolina, by five ex-Confederate soldiers who discovered gold near here in 1862. . . . — Map (db m112914) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Benton County State Bank
The Benton County State Bank building was dedicated on July 25, 1907. The bank, built on the ruins of a burned saloon, was representative of a period of growth and prosperity in Corvallis at the beginning of the 20th century. Corvallis' . . . — Map (db m117442) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Early Town DevelopmentThe Corvallis Riverfront
The banks of the Willamette River were the focus of early town development. The town plat for Marysville was files on February on February 25, 1851, by Joseph C. Avery, using a portion of his land claim of 1845. The town included property from the . . . — Map (db m117488) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — First Congregational Church1918-1932
The First Congregational Church was built here in 1917 to serve a congregation that had outgrown its original 1889 building at Third and Jefferson streets. Designed by architect Roy Dobell, a former instructor at Oregon Agricultural College (OAC, . . . — Map (db m117268) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Kings Valley Millstone
This is one of the first mill stones or burns to be used in this section of Oregon. This was originally quarried in France and shipped around the horn from New York in 1850 by sailing vessel. In 1852, was transported by oxen team from Portland to . . . — Map (db m116840) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — River Transport
The first steamboat to reach Corvallis was the sidewheeler Canemah in October of 1851. With this arrival, Corvallis joined Oregon's steamboat era, with tis stories of risk, profit, rivalries, mergers, heroics, innovation and disasters. . . . — Map (db m117465) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Site of the Earliest Boat LandingLower Town, Marysville, 1851
Site of the earliest boat landing Lower Town, Marysville, 1851 Presented to City of Corvallis, Oregon Centennial Celebration, June 1957 by the Winema Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution — Map (db m107333) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Monroe — Wilhelm Mill Water WheelHistorical Site
This variable pitch water wheel was installed in the Long Tom River in 1906 to power the grain & flour machinery at the Adam Wilhelm Flour Mill. It also powered an electric generator that was later installed to provide electricity to the mill & the . . . — Map (db m119283) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Lake Oswego — George Rogers House - 1929
George M. Rogers purchased this lot in 1918 and lived in its existing small house until 1929, when he engaged Van Evera Bailey, a noted Portland architect, to design this unique Arts and Crafts/Mediterranean style residence. Exterior is . . . — Map (db m119859) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Lake Oswego — Green Street
Henry Dodge Green and his brother John Green came to Oregon from New York in 1852. In partnership with H. C. Leonard, the Green brothers procured the gas and water franchises for the City of Portland. The cost of shipping cast-iron gas and water . . . — Map (db m116109) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Lake Oswego — Iron Company Worker's Cottage
This cottage is the last survivor of cottages built for workers in Oswego's iron industry. It was probably built in the late 1870s or early 1880s by Albert Clinefelter or Lucien Davidson, local carpenters who constructed many buildings for the . . . — Map (db m120039) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Lake Oswego — Murphy Real Estate Building - 1940
This Arts and Crafts style building was constructed in 1940 as the Murphy Real Estate office. It is one of a cluster of buildings on State Street designed by the prominent local architect, Richard Sundeleaf. The half-timbered architecture was . . . — Map (db m116518) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Lake Oswego — Oswego Landing
In the early 19th century, the river landing at the mouth of Oswego Creek was a convenient camping place for explorers, fur traders, and pioneers. In the words of one old timer, it was "a stopping place, a sort of a relay station for boats both . . . — Map (db m121328) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Lake Oswego — Salamander
This mass of solidified iron from the hearth of the Oswego furnace is known as a 'Salamander'. It is named after a mythological amphibian that lived in fire. Salamanders often formed in the bottom of 19th Century iron furnaces and were removed, with . . . — Map (db m116143) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Lake Oswego — The Durham Mill
On this site Oswego's first industry, a saw mill, was established in 1850 by Albert Alonzo Durham on this portion of his 637 acre Donation Land Grant which included "Old Town" and much of East Oswego. He advertised his new mill in the . . . — Map (db m117224) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Oregon City — Area Commerce
Commerce came quickly to the area as pioneers cleared land and became established. Pasture and grazing was common but presented transportation problems before refrigeration and good roads or bridges. The Clear Creek Creamery co-op was formed to . . . — Map (db m114236) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Oregon City — Dr. Forbes Barclay1812 - 1873
Dr. Forbes Barclay left Scotland in 1839 for Fort Vancouver (Washington) where he became chief physician for Hudson's Bay Company. He moved to Oregon City in 1850 where he practiced medicine for many years. He was one of Oregon City's early mayors, . . . — Map (db m8692) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Oregon City — Dr. John McLoughlin"Father of Oregon"
Born in Riviere du Loup, Canada, October 19, 1784. 1824 Came to the Oregon Country as Chief Factor of the Columbia Department of the Hudson's Bay Company. 1829 Located his claim to the present site of Oregon City. 1845 Resigned his . . . — Map (db m8699) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Oregon City — Dr. John McLoughlin1784-1857
Chief Factor, 1821-1845, and Superintendent of the Columbia Department, 1824-1821, of the Hudson's Bay Company, laid claim to and took possession of the Site of Oregon City in 1829. In 1842 he had the site surveyed, and subsequently dedicated . . . — Map (db m114027) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Oregon City — Dr. John McLoughlinFather of Oregon
"He stood among his pioneer contemporaries like towering old (Mount) Hood ... a born leader of men." -- Willard H Res, description of John McLoughlin during speech, 1879 His personality was measured in patience, generosity, . . . — Map (db m114065) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Oregon City — George Abernethy's Historical SignificanceYou are currently standing on Abernethy Green!
George Abernethy who arrived at Willamette Falls in 1840 by ship, took a land claim that stretched from the Willamette River to Holcomb Hill. The neck of land that followed Abernethy Creek acrosss Green Point became known as Abernethy Green. Oregon . . . — Map (db m114032) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Oregon City — Joseph L. MeekBorn 1810 - Died 1875
Born in Washington Co. Va., Meek leaves home at age 18, arriving in St. Louis in the fall of 1828. Meek signs on as a trapper with the Rocky Mtn. Fur Co., remaining in the Rockies until 1839. 1839 - 1843: Meek travels to the Willamette Valley and . . . — Map (db m8673) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Oregon City — McCald BuildingCirca 1925
On this site was an early firehall. Current structure was built as City Hall housing city offices, Police Dept., and the jail, all of which remained until the mid 40s. Oregon City Beauty School occupied main floor and basement for 22 years. Jail . . . — Map (db m8747) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Oregon City — McLoughlin HouseNational Historic Site
In the city he founded, in this house he built, lived Dr. John McLoughlin, 1846-57. He won enduring fame for his generous and humane aid to early American settlers in the Oregon Country, as Chief Factor and Superintendent of the Hudson’s Bay . . . — Map (db m8693) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Oregon City — OK Barber Shop
Built by Ed Johnson as a full service barber shop with 4 chairs and bathing facilities. Basement still has massive brick boiler for hot water originally fired by sawdust from local mill. Converted to restaurant in 1986. — Map (db m8746) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Oregon City — M12 — Oregon City FallsOregon History
Oregon City - once known as Willamette Falls - was early the site of an Indian salmon fishing village. The falls furnished the power for a lumber mill which began operation in 1842. A flour mill in 1844. A woolen mill in 1864 and the first paper . . . — Map (db m113515) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Oregon City — Peter Skene Ogden House
400 feet south of this marker stood the home of Peter Skene Ogden Chief Factor of Hudson's Bay Co. and rescuer of the survivors of the Whitman Massacre. — Map (db m8714) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Oregon City — Sidney W. MossHotel Keeper
'It was two stories, 68 x 105, and was the first hotel west of the Rocky mountains." -- Harvey K. Hines, An Illustrated History... (1893) In 1842 Dr. Elijah White recruited over one hundred people to emigrate across the Oregon Trail. . . . — Map (db m114165) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), West Linn — M15 — Dr. John McLoughlin 1784 - 1857Oregon History
Chief factor of the Hudson’s Bay Company at Fort Vancouver, philanthropist, and founder of Oregon City. The land on the east bank of the Willamette River at the falls was claimed by Dr. McLoughlin and the Hudson’s Bay Co. in 1828-29. First called . . . — Map (db m8669) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), West Linn — M14 — Willamette FallsOregon History
Was early the site of an Indian salmon fishing village. The falls furnished the power for a lumber mill which began operation in 1842, a flour mill in 1844, a woolen mill in 1864 and the first paper mill in the Pacific Northwest in 1867. The first . . . — Map (db m113514) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), West Linn — M13 — Willamette Falls LocksOregon History
Still in use below this point-were opened on New Years Day, 1873, when the steamer Maria Wilkins became the first vessel to navigate up the west end of Willamette Falls. Farming and shipping interests had long sought to eliminate expensive portages . . . — Map (db m8667) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Wilsonville — Norris Young Machine Shop
Built at the turn of the 20th Century, the Norris Young Machine Shop served the farming community. Young, an accomplished machinist and inventor, repaired farm machinery and logging equipment. Young was an enterprising businessman who along . . . — Map (db m127204) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Wilsonville — Site of Bill Flynn’s Saloon
Built in 1905 and named for its colorful owner, Bill Flynn’s Saloon was a favorite hangout for residents and weary travelers. Farmers would park their wagons outside the saloon to rest their horses before the climb up “Whiskey Hill,” . . . — Map (db m127205) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — 14th Street Ferry SlipCapt. Fritz Elfving and the Astoria-North Beach Ferry Co.
In 1921, responding to increasing popularity of travel by automobile, Captain Fritz Elfving formed the Astoria-North Beach Ferry Company to transport passengers and cars across the Columbia River. His ferry slip on the Oregon side of the river . . . — Map (db m113269) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — A Great Artery of Transportation
The Columbia River is a highway for huge amounts of freight. The most frequent outbound cargoes include wheat and other agricultural products from the inland Northwest, logs and lumber, and mining products like coke or potash. Entering the river, . . . — Map (db m113238) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — A Waterfront at Work
Before the fire of 1922, much of downtown Astoria was built on pilings over the river. People built out from the original hilly shoreline, creating a level commercial district with access to the water. Every type of business might be . . . — Map (db m113237) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — At Play on the River
People have always turned to the river for enjoyment and just plain fun. Today you may see recreational sailboats, motorboats, jet-skis, kayaks, cruise ships, windsurfers, or kiteboards sharing the river with huge commercial ships. In the . . . — Map (db m113250) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — Columbia River Bar
The Columbia River Bar is considered by professional mariners to be the most dangerous bar crossing on the planet. The Pilot Boat Peacock was built in 1964 based on a German North Sea rescue boat design. Put into service on the . . . — Map (db m112994) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — Columbia River Tugs And TowboatsHigh Efficiency Transportation System with a Low Profile
Towboats began working on the Columbia in the mid 19th century. Powerful steam tugs towed sailing vessels over the Columbia River bar. Sternwheel steamboats, many of which operated as tugs, plied the entire Columbia River system. During . . . — Map (db m113234) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — Crossroads of Cultures
This area was once the crossroads of several cultures in Astoria. Along the waterfront to the east and west were over 20 canneries with their hordes of workers, many of them Chinese. After 12 to 16 hours of hard work, the Chinese went home to . . . — Map (db m112997) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — Fire Station No. 2
This building was constructed in 1896 by the North Pacific Brewery and rebuilt 1928-29 by the city of Astoria to serve as a fire station. City Commission J C Brook, Mayor John R Arnold -'28 Anton Sorensen -'29 E C Gearhart Victor . . . — Map (db m113823) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — First on the Pacific: The Astoria Custom House
In 1849, the U.S. Government established the first U.S. Customs Office on the Pacific Coast in Astoria. Located just 200 feet west of this site, the founding of the original Custom House brought change to the Northwest. It signaled a growing U.S. . . . — Map (db m113819) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — Fort Astoria
Desiring to dominate the areas explored by Lewis and Clark, John Jacob Astor sent expeditions overland and by sea to seize the mouth of the Columbia. The schooner Tonquin arrived first and work was begun on this site April 12, 1811. "The foliage was . . . — Map (db m113558) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — Gimre's Shoe StoreOldest Family Shoe Store in OR
Founded in 1892 by Sven Gimre, Bootmaker from Sola, Norway Grandfather of present owners Jon and Pete Gimre — Map (db m113235) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — Harvesting River & Sea
For thousands of years, Native Americans thrived on salmon fishing on the Columbia River. They traded dried fish with other native people all over the west. In the 1870s, later settlers also made commercial fishing a way of life. It remains a . . . — Map (db m113239) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — Imagine the Scene: Astoria's Custom House - 1849
The exterior of this reconstructed U.S. Custom House tells only part of the story. Use your imagination to visualize the space inside: a room sparsely furnished with a desk, perhaps a bookcase, wooden file cabinets, and a chair or two. The small . . . — Map (db m113820) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — Pilot Boat Peacock
The Pilot Boat Peacock was built to meet the challenging conditions at the mouth of the Columbia River. Pilots transferred to and from ships by means of the retrievable daughter boat off the stern. The vessel is based on a . . . — Map (db m112995) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — Pilots on the Columbia RiverShip Safety Requires Knowledge of Local Conditions
The mouth of the Columbia River is known to mariners as one of the most hazardous crossings in the world. Large ocean-going vessels rely upon highly skilled pilots to bring them across the bar and then to guide them safely to ports up and down . . . — Map (db m113233) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — Shively - McClure National Register Historic District
Here you look out over Astoria's first neighborhood. Platted in 1846 by prominent pioneers, Colonel John McClure and John Shively, this district was home to our most influential citizens; elected officials, leading businessmen, cannery . . . — Map (db m113014) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — Site of Astoria's First Electric Generating Station
On Christmas Eve, 1885, direct current flowed from a small dynamo in a planer shed of West Shore Lumber Mills to light Astoria's first electric lamps. Wires strung across housetops connected the dynamo to 30 arc lamps. Customers paid $16 a lamp per . . . — Map (db m113568) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — The Butterfly Fleet
Before engines - they fished in boats powered by the wind in their sails & were called the Butterfly Fleet. They were at the mercy of the wind & tides & as such it was a very dangerous profession. They did not always come back - these predominantly . . . — Map (db m113566) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Astoria — Why are Those Poles in the Water?
The poles or "piling" are logs from 80-year old Douglas-fir trees. They are a maximum of 60 feet in length and are embedded up to 20 feet into the river bottom. The rows of piling were used during the log sorting and raft making process. . . . — Map (db m114698) HM
Oregon (Clatsop County), Seaside — Gilbert Inn - 1892Historic Home of Alexandre Gilbert
Alexandre Gilbert, one of the founding fathers of Seaside, was born in the coastal town of LaRochelle, France on April 16, 1845, the son of Frank and Mary Gilbert. At the age of twenty-four and just prior to the Franco-Prussian war (1870-71), . . . — Map (db m113870) HM
Oregon (Columbia County), Clatskanie — "Captain" John West and Westport, Oregon
"Captain" John West was a self-made man. A native of Scotland, he settled on the lower Columbia River near this spot in the early 1850s after trying his luck in the goldfields of California. West built and operated sawmills, ran a general store and . . . — Map (db m113583) HM
Oregon (Columbia County), Scappoose — Thomas McKayOregon History
One of the Oregon Country’s most picturesque fur-traders, Thomas McKay is buried near Scappoose. He was a daring leader, famous storyteller and could drive a nail with a rifle ball. A Canadian, he arrived with the Astorians as a teen-age boy; . . . — Map (db m114416) HM
Oregon (Coos County), Coos Bay — 340 Year Old Tree
Donated by Menasha Corporation To the City of Coos Bay 340 years old, 210 feet tall Logged by: LA Logging Inc. Tree Faller: Silver Creek Logging 2000 Trees Replanted — Map (db m114193) HM
Oregon (Coos County), Coos Bay — In Memory of Curtis Sause (1913-2001)Tug IRENE donated by his wife, Margie Sause — September 2002 —
The 27-foot tug named Irene was built in 1938 by a family friend, C.J. Sessions, for Henry Sause, Sr. and Curtis Sause. It was designed along the lines of a Columbia River gillnetter with a four-cylinder, 40 horsepower Durant automobile . . . — Map (db m114195) HM
Oregon (Coos County), Coos Bay — Steam Engine No. 104
The Coos Bay Lumber Co. purchased this 73-ton, 2-8-2 Mikado-type steam locomotive in 1922 from Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, Penn. Engine No. 104 pulled log trains – sometimes as many as 100 cars – from the Powers and . . . — Map (db m113669) HM
Oregon (Coos County), Coos Bay — The Changing Waterfront(left panel)
Fire On July 23, 1922 a fire destroyed more than twenty-five buildings on Front Street, including city hall. Many of the businesses rebuilt a few blocks to the west, moving the heart of downtown Marshfield. The fire was . . . — Map (db m114151) HM
Oregon (Coos County), Coos Bay — The Changing Waterfront(center panel)
The shipping channel in the bay in front of you has a depth of about 35 feet at low tide. Large ships travel in this channel on their way to the upper bay. Frequently small harbor tugs can be seen pulling log rafts by this pavilion. The . . . — Map (db m114152) HM
Oregon (Coos County), Coos Bay — The Changing Waterfront(right panel)
Today, the Coos Bay harbor continues to serve as a connection to the rest of the world, and as a working waterfront. In addition, it has become a source of identity for the people living near its waters. The timber industry . . . — Map (db m114153) HM
Oregon (Coos County), Coos Bay — Transportation(center panel)
Travel by land was difficult until about 1915. The road between Marshfield and North Bend was not completed until 1912. Most people continued to travel by small boats around Coos Bay for several more years. Mosquito Fleet . . . — Map (db m114148) HM
Oregon (Coos County), Coos Bay — Transportation(left panel)
Most travel was on water; roads and rail lines were limited in the early days. Passenger ships called at the Port of Coos Bay regularly. Travel by water was faster, and much more predictable than by land. In the early . . . — Map (db m114149) HM
Oregon (Coos County), Coos Bay — Welcome to the Oregon Coast
(panel 1) The Oregon Coast boasts forested headlands, towering dunes of sand, and sparkling lakes and rivers. From the Columbia River south to Bandon, the picturesque coastline is bordered to the east by the peaks of . . . — Map (db m113658) HM
Oregon (Curry County), Gold Beach — Gold Beach
Gold discovered on the beaches at the mouth of Rogue River in the mid-1800s brought miners here; resulted in the Rogue River Indian Wars of 1855-56. Prattsville, Ellensburg, officially becoming Gold Beach in 1890. In the 60’s returns from . . . — Map (db m113220) HM
Oregon (Deschutes County), Bend — "The Westward Movement"Pilot Butte Park
Pilot Butte was a beacon for travelers. On a day sometime in the year 1813, and Indian lookout, from one of several tribes summering in this vicinity, might have “hiked the butte” and from here observed an exploration party . . . — Map (db m63090) HM
Oregon (Deschutes County), Bend — Journey of the Log to LumberIt All Began in the Woods
To supply the lumber mills with logs, entire mobile towns were created in the woods to house the men and their families who cut down the trees. The towns were movable camps conveyed by railroad cars. From 1916, these temporary towns, or logging . . . — Map (db m113935) HM
Oregon (Deschutes County), Bend — Location, Location & LocationTwo of the Greatest Lumber Companies in the World — Were Located Right here in Bend —
The bustling marketplace you see today, filled with shops, theaters, restaurants, entertainment and recreation was once the site of the largest pine sawmills in the country. Back in the 1920s, they were busy, noisy and dusty mills, each . . . — Map (db m113931) HM
Oregon (Deschutes County), Bend — Logs Finally Become LumberThe Lumber Journey and the Era Come to an End
Trees were felled in the woods and hauled to the Deschutes River where they floated downstream to the mills. The final steps of this log-to-lumber journey occurred as the wet lumber, known as green wood, exited the mill on the green chain. As . . . — Map (db m113933) HM
Oregon (Deschutes County), Bend — Thank Goodness for Water and GravityThe Railroad and the River Moved the Logs to the Mill
Huge trees were felled in the woods and the logs were transported by railroad to town. They were then dropped into the Deschutes River to await their turn in the mill. The river was a perfect storage place for the logs. The natural flow of the . . . — Map (db m113936) HM
Oregon (Deschutes County), Bend — The Mill Transformed Trees into Highly Prized LumberDeschutes Pine Was Well Known Across The Country
From the woods to the Deschutes River, the log was hoisted by the bull chain into the mill from the river to the log deck. It was then directed to the band saw in one of the three head rigs, where the process began. It was the head sawyer's . . . — Map (db m113919) HM
Oregon (Deschutes County), Bend — Today's Old Mill DistrictWas Yesterday's Lumber Mills
The mills may be gone, but their legacy is apparent all around us. The lumber companies spurred Bend's growth and they helped a lot of folks raise their families in this area. Today we see evidence of Mill B every time we look at the three iconic . . . — Map (db m113932) HM
Oregon (Deschutes County), Sisters — Hotel Sisters
The hotel was built in 1912 by local businessman and Spanish American War veteran John Dennis. Hot and cold water was available to each of the original 19 guest rooms, and every room was supplied with heat from a hot air furnace located in the . . . — Map (db m113631) HM
Oregon (Deschutes County), Terrebonne — Peter Skene Ogden Park
Peter Skene Ogden was born at Quebec in 1794. He explored Central Oregon for the Hudson's Bay Company in 1825 and in December of that year discovered Crooked River not far from this spot. He died at Oregon City in 1854. Land for this park was . . . — Map (db m80487) HM
Oregon (Douglas County), Elkton — Fort UmpquaDouglas County History
On the west bank and upstream is the site of Fort Umpqua. Established in 1836 by the Hudson’s Bay Company, the fort was a twelve foot high and ninety foot square stockade with bastions at diagonal corners. The fort served as a dwelling for . . . — Map (db m113337) HM
Oregon (Douglas County), Myrtle Creek — History of the (grist) Wheel
Used in the grist mill built in 1853-54 by Lazarus Wright. The mill was located next to the planked bridge crossing in the 'village' of Myrtle Creek near the current location of the Dairy Queen. The mill was managed by John Hall, the founder of . . . — Map (db m114456) HM
Oregon (Douglas County), Oakland — Water Wheel
Taken from a grist mill built in old town of Oakland by Dr. Dorsey S. Baker in 1851.

It turned the grinding stone that ground the grain to meal and flour. Shipped by boat around Cape Horn in the older days. — Map (db m116841) HM

Oregon (Douglas County), Reedsport — History of Local Steam DonkeyEach Machine Had a Personality
A Big Piece of Reedsport History Here, restored by citizens of Reedsport, is one of the largest steam donkeys to work the Oregon woods, the Smith and Watson 12 X 13 compound geared universal yarder. It was placed in service in . . . — Map (db m113331) HM
Oregon (Douglas County), Reedsport — What is a Steam Donkey?
Oxen Replaced Mules And Donkeys – Steam Donkeys Replaced Oxen By the early 1900’s steam yarders or steam donkeys, as they came to be known, industrialized logging. These large steel and cast iron steam machines . . . — Map (db m113474) HM
Oregon (Douglas County), Roseburg — Pinot NoirRichard Sommer & HillCrest Vineyard
Oregon’s successful and widely recognized wine industry can be traced to this place, where Richard Sommer first planted Pinot noir grapes in 1961. The Umpqua and Willamette valleys’ climates and topographies are much like those of European wine . . . — Map (db m114452) HM
Oregon (Douglas County), Scottsburg — ScottsburgOregon History
Few Oregon communities have had a more colorful history than Scottsburg. It was named for Levi Scott, a pioneer of 1844, who homesteaded here and founded the town in 1850. There was a lower town at the head of tidewater on the Umpqua River which . . . — Map (db m113510) HM
Oregon (Grant County), Canyon City — Canyon City Mural
Gold was discovered on Whiskey Flat in June, 1862; Canyon City quickly grew and became the County Seat by 1864. Scenes and Characters from the early years come alive in this 1996 mural by Larry Kangas. This colorful history is celebrated at "62 . . . — Map (db m96719) HM
Oregon (Grant County), Canyon City — Welcome To Canyon CityGold Discovered Here In 1862
In June 1862, a company of miners from northern California were heading east over the Strawberry Mountain Range, when one of the men discovered gold on Whiskey Flat, half a mile south of here. Miners from all over the area flocked into the area, and . . . — Map (db m96722) HM
Oregon (Grant County), John Day — John Day/Canyon City
The mining camp town of Canyon City sprang up soon after the discovery of gold in Canyon Creek in 1861 (Note: actually June of 1862). When Grant County was formed in 1864 Canyon City became the county seat. Meanwhile, "Lower Town" . . . — Map (db m107547) HM
Oregon (Grant County), John Day — Kam Wah Chung Company Building
Has Been Designated a National Historic Landmark This property possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America Kam Wah Chung Company Building is the best and earliest known . . . — Map (db m112884) HM
Oregon (Grant County), John Day — Welcome to Kam Wah Chung
Wlcome to Kam Wah Chung In 1890 you would be standing in the middle of a bustling Chinatown.Businesses and homes all around you, the temple in front, and Kam Wah Chung- the core of the community- would be to your left. Why is it the only . . . — Map (db m112887) HM
Oregon (Grant County), Prairie City — Sumpter Valley Railroad Hiking TrailDixie Pass interpretive site
Imagine the American Indians first creating trails through these mountains hundreds of years ago. Later, in 1825 and 1826, Hudson Bay Fur Company trappers, led by Peter Skeene Ogden, crossed this very pass. In 1862 more people made this difficult . . . — Map (db m107101) HM
Oregon (Grant County), Seneca — Railroad to a Brighter Future
Back in the early 1920's you may have left the dirt streets and wooden sidewalks of the town of Burns, to walk in these woods, where untouched ponderosa stood tall. But in a few short years, one of the biggest ever timber sales in the . . . — Map (db m108836) HM
Oregon (Grant County), Seneca — Rocks, Rails and Railroad Ties
When the railroad was being built the forest here was a busy place with trees being felled to make ties, and rock being blasted for ballast. In February 1927, forest ranger G. C. Blake reported: "Yesterday I made the trip from . . . — Map (db m108872) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — Butler Bank1924 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
Leslie and Truman Butler commissioned well-known Portland architect A.E. Doyle to design a bank of the Butler Banking Company, the business they founded in 1900. The Egyptian style building was completed in September 1924, and the grand opening . . . — Map (db m112295) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — DeWitt Motors1920 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
Harry DeWitt built this new automobile garage in 1920 when the demand for new cars and service was high in Hood River. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the garage was divided and used as the Greyhound Bus Station, a service garage, and a . . . — Map (db m112235) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — E.L. Smith Building1904 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
Designed to house several businesses, the E.L. Smith Building was constructed in 1904 for $10,000. The First National Bank, organized by entrepreneur and regional politician Ezra L. Smith in 1900, occupied the main storefront from 1904 to 1910 until . . . — Map (db m112294) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — First National Bank1910 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
Designed by Hood River architect R.R. Barely, the "new" First National Bank building was constructed in 1910 by contractors J.M. Wright and L.M. Bentley for a cost of $40,000. The building housed the bank on the first floor and the Commercial Club . . . — Map (db m112264) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — Hood River Banking & Trust Company1907 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
Constructed in 1907 under the management of J.M. Culbertson, the Hood River Banking and Trust Company represents one of the older brick buildings in downtown Hood River. Decorative features include the sheet metal cornice, arched windows with leaded . . . — Map (db m116955) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — Hood River Garage1917 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
In 1917, a modern Franklin touring car was delivered from Portland for the grand opening of the Hood River Garage. Similar one-story, concrete service garages proliferated throughout the Gorge after the Columbia River Highway was completed in 1916 . . . — Map (db m112300) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — Hotel Waucoma1904 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
Designed by The Dalles architect C.J. Crandall in 1904, the Hotel Waucoma was one of the earliest brick buildings constructed in downtown Hood River. Built for $14,000, the new hotel boasted of 27 guest rooms equipped with steam heat, porcelain . . . — Map (db m112297) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — Keir Medical Building1905 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
A.S. Keir and C.A. Class erected the building in 1905 for use as a drug store, pharmacy, and soda fountain. Originally a one-story structure, a second floor was added when the building was remodeled in 1927 in the Art Deco style. The colorful tile . . . — Map (db m112262) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — LaFrance Building1914 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
Built in 1914, the original tenant of the building was the Garrabrant and Parker's Confectionary Store. Candy and cigars were sold in the store, and people often sat for hours at the popular soda foundation (sic). A game of billiards could be played . . . — Map (db m112296) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — Sproat Building1911 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
Prominent business person and leader of the fruit industry, Charles H. Sproat financed the construction of the Sproat Building in 1911 to house the E.A. Franz Furniture Company. Upon completion, the owners boasted of a buff colored brick exterior , . . . — Map (db m112305) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — Stewart Hardware & Furniture Company1902/1905 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
William M. Stewart advertised his home furnishings and hardware business as Hood River's "Complete Homefurnisher." The one-story brick building on the east was erected in 1902 and the other two sections to the west were constructed in 1905. The . . . — Map (db m112239) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — The Blowers Building1909 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
Constructed in 1909 by Samuel and Laurence Blowers, the building originally housed a hardware store and "modern playhouse" on the first floor and offices on the second floor. Laurence Blowers was one of Hood River's first mayors and was appointed . . . — Map (db m112234) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — The Brosius Building1904 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
Dr. Frampton Brosius was one of the town's early mayors and a community activist. Brosius constructed the building for use as a centralized location for doctor's offices; one of the first buildings in Hood River designed for this use. Constructed in . . . — Map (db m112260) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — The Eliot Building1908 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
The Eliot Building was financed by Portland minister T.L. Eliot in 1908 for use by the E.A. Franz Hardware Store. In 1906, the prominent Portland architect, A.E. Doyle, completed the architectural plans for the commercial building while studying . . . — Map (db m112259) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — The Hall Building1909 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
Charles Hall, president of the Home Telephone Company, financed the construction of the building for $45,000 in 1909. Erected of "Newberg" pressed brick, the building housed a variety of businesses including the Butler Bank, Bragg Mercantile, and . . . — Map (db m112261) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — The HendersonGone But Not Forgotten
Sternwheeler traffic on the Columbia River reached a fevered-pitch with the completion of Cascade Locks in 1896. Steam-powered paddlewheelers provided a vital link between The Dalles and Portland. The trip averaged six hours on a good day, and . . . — Map (db m113947) HM
Oregon (Hood River County), Hood River — The Mount Hood Hotel Annex1912 — City of Hood River Downtown Historic District —
The Mt. Hood Hotel Annex, constructed in 1912-13, was built as an annex to the original wooden hotel which stood to the north. The first floor housed commercial businesses and the second story had apartments and additional hotel rooms. In 1926, the . . . — Map (db m112232) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — The Whittle Garage
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Paces by the Unted States Department of the Interior the Whittle Garage 1925 — Map (db m96028) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Eagle Point — Snowy Butte MillEst. 1872 — A History of the Mill —
On the National Register of Historic Places, the world famous Butte Creek Mill is the only grist mill in Oregon still grinding flour. Built on the banks of Little Butte Creek in 1872, under the name Snowy Butte Mill, local farmers would bring . . . — Map (db m113901) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — City of Gold Hill
Gold discovered on hill across Rogue River in 1860. Land for Gold Hill donated by Thomas & Rose Chavner in 1884. Railroad built in 1887. Town Inc. Feb. 12, 1895. First school in Methodist Church in 1889. Electricity came from Gold Rey Dam in 1904. . . . — Map (db m99286) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — Rock Point HotelStage Stop and Telegraph Office
J.B. White founded the small Community of Rock Point in the early 1850's. John fought in the Rouge Indian Wars. In exchange for his service he received land, and developed a homestead on the north side of the stage road. The land was sold to L. J. . . . — Map (db m99258) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — Safety Follows Wisdom
Portland Cement Association Safety Trophy Awarded Ideal Cement Company Gold Hill, Oregon For a Perfect Safety Record in 1959 Reawarded 1960 — Map (db m116801) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — China QuarterJacksonville, Oregon 1865
(Marker 1) In the 1860s the view from this spot on Main street would have looked much different than it does today. During the the Gold Rush boom of the 1850s, Jacksonville's early merchants and shopkeepers located their businesses along . . . — Map (db m112901) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — History of Local Telephone Service
"Working Together" as Partners in Communications and Education A RESEARCH PROJECT BY GRIFFIN CREEK STUDENTS SALUTES THE HISTORY OF LOCAL TELEPHONE SERVICE First Phone Line - 1890 Sunset Telephone Company - 1898 Home Telephone Company - . . . — Map (db m112894) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — History Right Here - Furniture Fabrication
Imagine a town hit by a citywide chair shortage. According to at least one pioneer of 1852 this happened in early day Jacksonville. Word of situation must have reached Yreka, California, where carpenter and builder David Linn was mining for . . . — Map (db m122887) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — History Right Here - Going for the Gold
The first gold miners on this site in 1851 were in the right place at the right time. They found gold on Jackson Creek, possibly along the base of the hill across the parking lot. No one knows for certain; the route of the creek has changed . . . — Map (db m112895) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — History Right Here - Horse Powers
Both horses and horsepower figure prominently in this site's past. In the 1860s, William J. Plymale (1837-1904) opened a livery stable at Oregon and "D" streets. He sold feed and kept horses and buggies on hand. Steam Driven Horsepower . . . — Map (db m112896) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Peter Britt: Man of Culture and Commerce
Peter Britt was an extraordinary man of vision and accomplishment. His curiosity, motivation and experimental nature, matched with a keen business sense, allowed him to merge broad-ranging interests into a wide assortment of successful endeavors. . . . — Map (db m122890) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Undermining the Great Depression
Gold was first discovered on this portion of Jackson Creek in 1851. Mining continued at this site surrounding the Jacksonville Library for many years. During the 1930s, the decade of the Great Depression, Southern Oregon was a resurgence of its gold . . . — Map (db m122886) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Medford — Cuthbert BuildingHistoric Renovation Award 2006
The Cuthbert Building, constructed in 1910, was built by the Big Bend Milling Company. Franklin Cuthbert's furniture originally occupied the building. The building has housed a series of department stores. In 1920, the Golden Rule Mercantile Co., a . . . — Map (db m92072) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Medford — Medford Auto Company BuildingHistoric Renovation Award 2008
This single-story concrete structure was built in 1926 for the Medford Auto Company, and is one of many similar structures built on this portion of the Pacific Highway referred to as "auto row" from 1925 to 1930. This building was home to the Buick . . . — Map (db m112838) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Medford — Medford Boomed As Orchards Bloomed
With railroad access to distant markets, the orchard industry flourished. Hundreds of thousands of apple and pear trees were planted in the early 1900s, and commercial fruit became the Rogue Valley's major export. Promoters widely . . . — Map (db m120989) HM
Oregon (Jefferson County), Terrebonne — Peter Skene OgdenOregon History
This park is named for Peter Skene Ogden, 1793-1854. In the fall of 1825, Ogden led a Hudston's Bay Company trapping party on the first recorded journey into central Oregon, crossing the country to the north and east into the Crooked River Valley . . . — Map (db m67889) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Grants Pass — 524 — Mormon Sugar Beet Factory Site
On this site in 1916, the Oregon Utah Sugar Company erected a large beet factory. C.W. Nibley, director of the company and presiding bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons/L.D.S.), oversaw the project. Nibley's sons, . . . — Map (db m112529) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Wolf Creek — GOLD!
(Three panels are located at this information kiosk:) Imagine carrying just a backpack and a pick and hearing the shouts of "Gold!" as they rang through this valley. It's 1851. You've traveled hundreds of miles to make your . . . — Map (db m115245) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Wolf Creek — Wolf Creek TavernWolf Creek Inn
Wolf Creek Tavern was built c. 1883 by Henry Smith, a highly successful and influential local entrepreneur. The establishment of the hotel, mercantile and post office occurred at the time the Oregon and California Railroad was being completed in . . . — Map (db m47204) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Chiloquin — Stout Abner
Named for Abner Weed, Founder of Weed, CA Twin cylinder Corliss steam engine supplied total power for Long-Bell Lumber Company's sawmilll, Weed. CA from 1917 thru 1964 (Long-Bell was acquired by International Paper). Seven boilers . . . — Map (db m112526) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Crescent — Rourk Store
Site of the first mercantile store in northern Klamath County - 1909. — Map (db m112873) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Fort Klamath — The First Sawmill
The first sawmill present in Klamath County was erected near this site on Fort Creek in 1863 by the U.S. Army. — Map (db m100287) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — Horn's Camp 1895 - 1898
Log contractor's loading station on "Old Blue's" Railroad, the first in Klamath County. — Map (db m147602) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — Potter's Mill1905–1911
Located on Long Creek Prairie Creek, this mill was active only until 1906. — Map (db m147591) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — Weyerhaeuser Camp 3
Logging Camp Located At Hayden Mountain Meadow 1929 - 1937 — Map (db m112501) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — Weyerhaeuser Camp 4
A logging camp located near Long Prairie and Meadow 1934 - 1954 — Map (db m147592) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Beginning of a TrailThe OC&E Line
"To know the Oregon, California & Eastern Railway, one must imagine conditions in Oregon in the early 1900's." David F. Myrick, "Oregon, California & Eastern" A century ago, the Klamath Basin held an inventory of nearly 35 billion . . . — Map (db m112892) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — George NurseCity Father - Arrived 1866
This Memorial is Dedicated to George Nurse Accomplishments 1867 - 1869 - 1878 Opened First Trading Post Built the Bridge Across Link River Platted Town and Called it Linkville Donated the Land For the First Cemetery The First . . . — Map (db m113635) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — George Nurse (In Memory of)June 4, 1820-November 26, 1895 — Founder and Benefactor of Linkville - (Klamath Falls) —
Rafted lumber down Upper Klamath Lake and built first buildings on this site, 1867. Registered first official plat of town, 1878. Was Linkville's first hotel keeper, postmaster, and livery stable operator. Gave building lots to people who . . . — Map (db m113638) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Pioneer Furtrader
Martin R. Frain born December 17, 1832 in New York, came west in 1850, arrived in Oregon Territory April 30, 1857 crossed Link river and camped under a ledge nearby. Established the first Trading Post at the present area of Payne Alley and Main . . . — Map (db m100207) HM
Oregon (Lake County), Fort Rock — Reuban A. "Reub" Long1898-1974
Reub Long was a lifelong cowboy of the Oregon desert. When Reub was two years old, his family moved from Lakeview to Christmas Lake (about 30 miles S.E. of Fort Rock). By the time he was twelve, he and his horse "...were out doing a man's . . . — Map (db m113573) HM
Oregon (Lake County), Lakeview — Favell-Utley BuildingOldest Building in Business Section of Lakeview
1887 - Joe Frankl sold land to the Lakeview Bank, the first bank established in Lake County. The owners, P.G. Chrisman & Andy McCallen built this building. 1898 - The Bank of Lakeview, chartered in 1897 by Dr. Bernard Daly, Marius Miller and . . . — Map (db m147063) HM
Oregon (Lake County), Lakeview — Heryford Building
Constructed in 1913 by W.P. and J.D. Heryford, pioneer cattlemen, the primary purpose being to provide space for the early Elks Club and office space to attract good doctors and business people. The ground floor and basement was occupied by a . . . — Map (db m112553) HM
Oregon (Lake County), Lakeview — Post & King Building
The “Old Kentucky” Saloon was originally built at this location in 1896 by Peter Post & Jonas King. After the fire of 1900 that destroyed the majority of Lakeview's business district, the current brick structure was constructed in 1901, . . . — Map (db m147065) HM
Oregon (Lake County), Lakeview — Wilcox Building
Original building was constructed in 1901 on a site formerly occupied by the Hopkins Hotel which burned in the fire of 1900. At some later date the building was extended to the west property line. The main building housed the First National Bank . . . — Map (db m147058) HM
Oregon (Lake County), Paisley — Paisley's History
Paisley was once the site of a seasonal Native American settlement. Northern Paiute and Klamath Indians came to the Chewaucan Marsh and River to harvest local resources, most notably the wapato, Silgittaria cuneata, a plant with . . . — Map (db m113765) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Florence: Industrial Beginnings
Early industries in the Florence area were built on the natural resources that the Siuslaw River Valley had to offer. The rivers were filled with swarming salmon and the forests held acres of old growth timber. Those abundant natural resources . . . — Map (db m93894) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Harbor Theater
Built in 1938 as the "Florence Theatre," the facade displays a stucco exterior. After an internal fire in 1957, it was refurnished and renamed the Harbor Theater. One of the last neighborhood theaters operating in Oregon, it continued dispensing . . . — Map (db m113263) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Navigating the Siuslaw River
The connection to the Pacific Ocean by way of the Siuslaw River made Florence a natural hub for industry. The shifting river channel and mouth made early navigation unpredictable. The lack of stable conditions made establishing a thriving harbor . . . — Map (db m93912) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Florence — Welcome to Historic Old Town
Originally named First Street then later Front Street, Bay Street was renamed in the mid-1950s by the Florence Garden Club. Historically known as the city center of Florence, Bay Street held much of the government and commerce functions. Once . . . — Map (db m113261) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Junction City — Junction City — A Brief History
Born of a vision that was not to be fully realized, Junction City was platted in 1870 by Ben Holladay, the West Coast railroad promoter. Holladay was building the Oregon & California Railroad south from Portland, laying track on both the east and . . . — Map (db m119466) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Lowell ProspersLogging Brings Growth
Just across the reservoir, Lowell took root in the 1850s at Amos D. Hyland's homestead. First called Cannon, then later dubbed Lowell, the town grew up around Hyland's general store and large hop-processing yard. Hyland also operated a ferry that . . . — Map (db m112930) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Lowell ProspersFlood Control
In Oregon's early days, emigrants came in droves to live along the Willamette River, but they soon discovered its volatile nature. Floods inundated the valley, property was destroyed, and lives were lost. The Army Corps of Engineers was given the . . . — Map (db m112931) HM
Oregon (Lincoln County), Newport — Newport, Oregon1866 – 1966
The city of Newport was named on July 4, 1866. On that day the townspeople and many visitors gathered to celebrate the ninetieth anniversary of National Independence Day and to name this small fishing and lumbering community. A tall pole was . . . — Map (db m114246) HM
Oregon (Lincoln County), Newport — South to Newport
Founded in 1865, Newport has become the largest town on the central Oregon coast. Its railroad, maritime and highway connections have nurtured its development. Newport Harbor Today, Newport's harbor serves mostly . . . — Map (db m112412) HM
Oregon (Malheur County), Juntura — Peter Skene OgdenOregon History
Peter Skene Ogden, leading a party of Hudson’s Bay Company trappers, camped near here on October 10, 1828. On this Ogden’s fifth and final expedition into the "Snake Country," he started on September 22, from Fort Nez Perce (Walla Walla). From here, . . . — Map (db m63024) HM
Oregon (Malheur County), Ontario — Ontario Oregon Trail Kiosk
(The Oregon Trail kiosk houses thirteen panels which deal with Native Americans, the Fur Trade, the Oregon Question, Oregon Fever, and trials of the Oregon Trail.) Pathway to the "Garden of the World" Excitement filled the . . . — Map (db m107234) HM
Oregon (Marion County), Aurora — 18 — Will-Snyder StoreBuilt in 1912
Jonas Will and Andrew Snyder, children of Aurora Colony members, established this then modern mercantile store. Jonas had been an Aurora merchant since 1888. The families ran this business until the 1940's. — Map (db m114293) HM
Oregon (Marion County), Aurora — 19 — Wm. Keil and CompanyBuilt in 1874
Used as a general store. Wm. Keil and Company catered to the trade of some of the mid-valley's best known pioneers by cash or barter. — Map (db m114294) HM
Oregon (Marion County), St. Paul — Willamette Post
Willamette Post was established in December 1813 on a knoll just east of this location by employees of the North West Company, a Montreal based fur-trading company. During the ensuing years the two-room log cabin, also known as Fort Kalapuya, served . . . — Map (db m114308) HM
Oregon (Multnomah County), Corbett — CorbettOn the Road to Change
Stacks of cordwood and bushels of potatoes lined the docks of Corbett Landing in the 1880s. This riverside steamboat landing and railroad whistle stop served early settlers as a shipping and receiving station for surplus produce and the . . . — Map (db m113253) HM
Oregon (Multnomah County), Corbett — Simon Benson1851 to 1942 — Lumberman and Philanthropist —
Originator of ocean going log rafts. Sponsor of the Columbia River Highway. Benefactor of Benson Polytechnic School. Donor of the Benson Tract containing Multnomah Falls, Wahkeena Falls and Benson State Park. Patern and casting by Benson High . . . — Map (db m91212) HM
Oregon (Multnomah County), Corbett — Tad's Chicken 'N Dumplin's
This restaurant has been serving motorists on the historic Columbia River Highway since the late 1920s. Once a hot dog stand and beer joint, it was originally located at the east end of the Sandy River Bridge. During the 1930s it became the . . . — Map (db m113257) HM
Oregon (Multnomah County), Portland — Dekum Building
German immigrant Frank Dekum amassed a fortune during Portland’s explosive early history with his confectionery business. The massive Dekum Building, completed in 1892 at a cost exceeding $300,000, used exclusively Oregon materials in its . . . — Map (db m1155) HM
Oregon (Multnomah County), Portland — Fort William1835
Nathaniel J. Wyeth of Boston, Massachusetts began permanent American settlement of Oregon by building a fur trading and salmon packing post one-half mile east to rival the Hudson's Bay Company at Fort Vancouver. He guided the missionaries Jason and . . . — Map (db m113950) HM
Oregon (Multnomah County), Portland — Vanport
Within a year of the US entering World War II, more than 160,000 people moved to Portland — a city of only 360,000 — to work in Home Front industries. Industrialist Henry Kaiser's three shipyards employed the most workers. To house his . . . — Map (db m38410) HM
Oregon (Tillamook County), Tillamook — Mill Stone
From the county's first flour mill, was turned by water power, was owned and operated by G. W. Elmer on Hughey Creek, five miles east of Tillamook in 1862. The stone was brought by boat from the Eastern Coast, around South America. Donated by . . . — Map (db m113731) HM
Oregon (Tillamook County), Tillamook — Steam Donkey
Steam donkeys such as this "Tacoma Wide Face Yarder" were a vital part of a logging team's equipment in the 19th century forests of Oregon. Their name is derived from secondary engines called "donkey engines" used on sailing ships to load cargo, . . . — Map (db m113295) HM
Oregon (Tillamook County), Tillamook — Tillamook County
Dairy Industry -- Henry Wilson, for which the Wilson River is named, brought the first cows to Tillamook County and laid the foundation for the Tillamook dairy industry. As early as 1854, butter and cheese were being made in large enough . . . — Map (db m113079) HM
Oregon (Tillamook County), Tillamook — Tillamook Hotel
The property upon which the Tillamook Hotel now stands was purchased from W.H Cooper in June 1891. A church building was erected on the land the following year. Myrtle Ethel Holden (youngest daughter of Warren Vaughn) purchased the land to build the . . . — Map (db m113077) HM
Oregon (Tillamook County), Wheeler — Wheeler
The city of Wheeler with a commanding view of The Nehalem Bay has some of the most interesting pre-Oregon history beginning with Frances Drake repairing his ship in the summer of 1579 and the wreck of a 1700's Spanish galleon. Some . . . — Map (db m113628) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Bowman Hotel
In 1889, a wood framed "Bowman Hotel' was operated by Henry Bowman on this site. A mill race running along Frazer Avenue separated that first hotel from the original railroad depot building. That building either burned down or was razed and the . . . — Map (db m111597) HM
Oregon (Umatilla County), Pendleton — Bowman Studio
This imaginative building was built to resemble a castle, complete with crenellations on the parapet. It was built in 1905 by W.S. Bowman, a turn-of-the century photographer, for use as his studio along with retail and residential space. This stone . . . — Map (db m111848) HM

241 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 41
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020