Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Brevard County Florida Historical Markers

 
Cape Canaveral Lighthouse image, Touch for more information
By Larry B. of Florida, May 4, 2007
Cape Canaveral Lighthouse
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Cape Canaveral Lighthouse
Originally constructed in 1868 overlooking the Cape Canaveral beach. Due to shoreline erosion, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved 1 ½ miles inland in the early 1890s. In July 1894, the light was relit at the new location. — Map (db m23522) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — F-628 — Cape Canaveral Lighthouse
On May 21, 1838, Florida territorial delegate Charles Downing requested a lighthouse be built on Cape Canaveral. The first lighthouse completed in Jan. 1848 stood 65-feet tall, had a 55-foot tower and a 10-foot lantern room equipped with 15 lamps on . . . — Map (db m64798) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — F-857 — Carter-Fuller Mound Complex
Before modern construction a complex of six burial mounds occupied this location. They were built by the ancestors of the prehistoric Ais tribe, a group who occupied the Cape Canaveral area at the time of European contact. Based on pottery styles . . . — Map (db m101390) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Complex 14
Vc = Ro √(g/Ro+h) "… one of the most complex tasks ever presented to man in this country -- the achievement of manned flight in orbit around the earth." - John F. Kennedy Thirty-Fifth President of the United States This marker . . . — Map (db m69963) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Launch Complex 34Friday, 27 January 1967 — 1831 Hours
Dedicated to the living memory of the crew of the Apollo 1: U.S.A.F Lt. Colonel Virgil I. Grissom U.S.A.F. Lt. Colonel Edward H. White, II U.S.N. Lt. Commander Roger B. Chaffee They gave their lives in service to their country . . . — Map (db m72912)
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesCruise Industry
1964 – First cruise ship visit, S/S Yarmouth 1980 – First Queen Elizabeth II visit 1982 – First Cruises to Nowhere, S/S Scandinavian Seas 1984 – First homeported ship, Premier Cruise Lines S/S . . . — Map (db m59645) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesFishing and Cargo Industries
1953 – Commercial fishing began 1954 – First oil imported for Central Florida power plants 1955 – First merchant ship, S/S Mormac Spruce arrived 1962 – First bulk cement silos built 1966 – First . . . — Map (db m59647) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesSpace
1961 – Freedom 7, First space capsule recovered through the Port 1989 – Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) 136 activated 1989 – First quadramodal connection between sea, land, air and space 1992 – SPACEHAB, First FTZ . . . — Map (db m59648) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesNorth Side Development / South Side Development
North Side Development 1971 – Courageous, First Coast Guard Cutter, arrived 1974 – First warehouse built 2000 – Container Yard completed South Side Development 1965 – First refrigerated . . . — Map (db m59665) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesEnvironment and Recreation
1968 – Jetty Park Opened 1990 – Central Park (renamed Freddie Patrick Park) opened 1992 – First Florida deepwater port to develop an Inlet Management Plan 1995 – Malcolm E. McLouth Fishing Pier dedicated 1995 . . . — Map (db m59666) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesNovember 4, 1953
Port dedicated by U.S. Senator Spessard L. Holland. Serving on the Canaveral Port Authority Board of Commissioners: Colonel Noah Butt, Chairman; David S. Nisbet; L.M. Carpenter; A.A. Dunn and G.W. Laycock. N.M. Argabrite, Secretary. Barbara . . . — Map (db m59729) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cape Canaveral — Port Canaveral Historic MilestonesMilitary
. . . — Map (db m69964) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — F-937 — Edward Postell Porcher House
On October 31, 1916, citrus grower and inventor Edward Postell Porcher and wife Byrnina Peck Porcher, moved into what was the grandest house in Cocoa. The house is a unique example of Neo-Classical Revival Style architecture interpreted in coquina . . . — Map (db m112182) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — F-69 — Hernandez Trail
One half mile to the west ran the Hernandez Trail used during the Seminole War. It connected forts along the East Coast to Ft. Dallas in Miami and across from Ft. Pierce and Ft. Capron to Ft. Brooke near Tampa. Brig. General Joseph M. Hernandez, . . . — Map (db m72606) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — F-568 — Historic Derby Street Chapel
Dedicated on July 13, 1924, this structure was built by the Seventh Day Adventist Church, and was heralded by The Cocoa Tribune as “an honor to the City.” In 1955 it was sold to the Church of Christ, Scientist. In 1964 it was sold to the . . . — Map (db m125640) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — F-689 — St. Mark’s Episcopal Church
On June 2, 1878, the Right Reverend John Freeman Young, Bishop of Florida, and Dr. William H. Carter of Holy Cross Church of Sanford, Florida, held the first meeting of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church at a nearby Rockledge residence. The mission was . . . — Map (db m70299) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa Beach — I Dream of Jeannie
I Dream of Jeannie was part of Cocoa Beach when a television sitcom ran from 1965 to 1979 starring Barbara Eden as a 2000 year old female genie and Larry Hagman as an astronaut. The TV series was set in and around Cocoa Beach. Barbara Eden visited . . . — Map (db m58754) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa Beach — F-938 — The Thousand Islands
The Thousand Islands formed as the result of an ancient tidal inlet that breached this barrier island and flowed across modern-day Cocoa Beach. The indigenous Ais people, a fisher-gatherer society, lived along the inlet. Their oyster-shell middens . . . — Map (db m112180) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Grant — F-629 — Bensen HouseCirca 1916
Atley Bensen paid $1,200 for the precut yellow pine lumber which arrived by riverboat from Jacksonville in 1916, to build this house for his wife Clara Christensen. The Bensen brothers married the Christensen sisters, both pioneer families of Grant. . . . — Map (db m55099) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Indialantic — F-730 — Indialantic Casino
The Indialantic Casino was constructed on this site in 1923. The two-story Mediterranean Revival style building was designed by architect William Christen and developed by Herbert Earle. It opened on December 22, 1923, and boasted shops, an . . . — Map (db m81316) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Indian Harbor Beach — F-487 — Winter-Time Ais Indian Town of Pentoaya
In 1605 Florida's Spanish Governor Pedro de Ybarra sent Lt. Alvaro Mexia on a diplomatic mission to the Ais Indians. Mexia recorded his passage from St. Augustine down the coast to the principal Ais Indian town near present-day Vero Beach. At the . . . — Map (db m82927) HM
Florida (Brevard County), LaGrange — F-540 — LaGrange Community Church
Founded by Tom Johnson Cockshutt in 1869, this was the first organized Protestant Church on the East Coast of Florida between New Smyrna and Key West. Tom donated land for a cemetery and built a small log structure located on what is now the . . . — Map (db m101179) HM
Florida (Brevard County), LaGrange — Site of the First Church
Site of the first church erected between New Smyrna and Key West A community church — Map (db m101180) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Advent Christian Church
On October 10, 1910, the original church, known as the Second Advent Church of Eau Gallie, was formally organized by the Rev. H. V. Skipper. Early meetings were held in neighborhood homes and in the Riverside Hotel, owned by John R. Mathers. Mathers . . . — Map (db m49380) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Billy Wallace House
This house was built circa 1898-1900 by William O. Wallace from Indiana, who lived here with his wife, May Bell and their four children. An expert fisherman and musician, Wallace kept backyard pens filled with live alligators, turtles and fish for . . . — Map (db m73084) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Breckenridge Landing
Following the Civil War, Confederate Secretary of War, John C. Breckenridge, and his entourage came down the Indian River in a sailboat on their journey to Cuba where Breckenridge knew he would be safe from prosecution by the United States . . . — Map (db m71424) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Campbell Park
Many acres in this area were originally owned by Peter Wright a black man and one of the first settlers of this area. He sold his property to Thomas Mason, an English recluse, who later sold the property to Richard W. Goode for $110. The . . . — Map (db m50309) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Carleton Hotel - Idlewylde Hotel
The first Carleton Hotel was built on this site about 1887, under the ownership of Jennie and Emma Strawbridge, sisters, who were natives of Sharon, PA. That hotel burned in 1904. At the same time, the Idlewylde Hotel to the north, also burned. . . . — Map (db m73120) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Causeway
Ernest Kouwen-Hoven, a land developer and promoter of Indialantic-by-the-Sea in 1918-19, realized that if the seaside town was to become a resort-residential community, a bridge must be built from the mainland to the peninsula. He contracted local . . . — Map (db m110189) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Corner of Highland and Eau Gallie Blvd.
The First State Bank building was open for business on the south side of Eau Gallie Boulevard in 1883. One day in 1896, the cashier of the First State Bank was seen boarding a northbound train with two large suitcases. He was never heard from again, . . . — Map (db m48990) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Corner of Highland and Law Street
The three story building on the corner of Law and Highland was built by the Gleason family in 1910. The third floor was the Masonic temple. The building was built on some of the highest ground in the area and still had an artesian well with enough . . . — Map (db m48982) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Crenshaw HotelSite of the First Melbourne Hospital
This is the original building erected by Harry Crenshaw in 1926 and opened as a hotel and apartments in April of that year. On February 2, 1928, the hotel became the Melbourne Hospital, operated by Dr. and Mrs. I.M. Hay who came here from St. . . . — Map (db m48646) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Downtown Eau Gallie
Lansing Gleason, a descendant of the pioneer Gleason family, recalled that downtown Eau Gallie had numerous fish houses, each with a barrel of whiskey set up at holiday times. A tin cup was provided on a help yourself basis. Things got pretty rowdy . . . — Map (db m69035) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Eau Gallie Bridge to the Beach
The first wooden bridge from Eau Gallie to "Eau Gallie Beach" was started in 1924. The bridge was formally opened in February 1926. Soon after John R. Mathers began plans to build a bridge from the barrier island to the tip of Merritt Island. That . . . — Map (db m75971) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Eau Gallie Public Library
This library is the second oldest library in Brevard County. It was founded by the members of the Avilah Club in 1898. Its first location was in the Eau Gallie Post Office (See marker on Highland Avenue.) The Eau Gallie Woman's club took over . . . — Map (db m48983) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Eau Gallie Yacht Basin
Aaron Bennett established the Eau Gallie Yacht Basin in 1896. But even before that the basin was the terminus of a steamboat line in the days before the railroad reached Eau Gallie. Phillip David Barbour, a native of Louisville, KY. was the man . . . — Map (db m48984) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Eau Gallie Yacht Club
The Eau Gallie Yacht Club was completed in January, 1912, at a cost of $3,000. The officers of the club were George F. Paddison, President; Col. C. W. Fowler, Vice-President; J.E.M. Hodgson, Secretary and Treasurer. J.A. Carr was Commodore. The . . . — Map (db m48987) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — First Post Office Site
Here at what was once known as Hatterman's Point, in the early years, John Cornthwaite Hector settled and had a store built, completed in 1880 by carpenter U. D. Henderson of Eau Gallie. Hector was described as "tall, heavy-set, with white hair . . . — Map (db m48889) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Florida East Coast Railroad
Henry M. Flagler, Florida East Coast Railroad owner, was influenced to extend his railroad south from Rockledge by a Melbourne resident: E.P. Branch. The railroad tracks were built into Eau Gallie about 1892. Considerable delay was experienced in . . . — Map (db m50308) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — F-610 — Florida Institute of Technology
A 37-cent donation, given to Florida Institute of Technology founder Jerome P. Keuper (1921-2002), would launch one of the most remarkable stories in American higher education. Keuper, a scientist working at Cape Canaveral, founded Florida Tech in . . . — Map (db m53822) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Front Street
Front Street was the original business section of Melbourne. It came into existence in the 1880's as dry goods stores, grocery stores, a fish house boat building and the post office were located along the waterfront. In 1894, Melbourne's second . . . — Map (db m48886) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Gen. John B. Castleman House
This house was built prior to 1900 by Gen. John B. Castleman, a veteran of the Civil War and the Spanish-American War. Gen. Castleman, from Louisville, KY., used this as his winter home for many years. The General was active in political and . . . — Map (db m49039) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Ginter Building
In 1926 the Ginter Building was constructed by Clifford Ginter. It was built as a professional building with natural wood floors and high ceilings. The Ginter Building went up during an era of expansion in Eau Gallie, the Florida land boom of the . . . — Map (db m49359) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Harbor City Hotel
A spur track for the Florida East Coast Railway was once located on the north side of this site. The track went out on a dock where freight and passengers were loaded onto river boats for the journey south. In 1902, the East Coast Lumber and . . . — Map (db m49042) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Henegar School Complex
The western most building of this complex was built in the period 1919-1921 and the first high school graduating class graduated May 12, 1921 with 13 students. The building was soon overflowing and six "shacks" were built to care for the . . . — Map (db m49940) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Highland and St. Clair Street
The Florida East Coast Railway arrived in Eau Gallie on May 20, 1893. The first engine arrived on June 24, 1893. A ticket from Jacksonville to Eau Gallie was $7.00. Eau Gallie was the terminus while construction continued to Miami. A "Y" was built . . . — Map (db m110315) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — History of the 1900 Building
1924 The midway city of Melbourne boasts the grand opening of the Melbourne Hotel. Built by developer Elton Hall. Late 1920's to Early 1960's Several specialty shops, a barbershop, a taxi dispatch station and drug store enjoyed bustling . . . — Map (db m50745) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Hodgson Brothers Store and Boatways
Alexander R. Hodgson, H.U. Hodgson and John Edwin Hodgson, brothers, together with their families, came to Eau Gallie about 1883. They founded the Hodgson Brothers mercantile business at this location in the 1890s. They later added a marine ways . . . — Map (db m49046) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Hodgson Home and Drugstore
The Hodgson Brothers (John, Alexander and Henry) settled in Eau Gallie in 1883, coming here from Canada. They operated a general store and boat ways at the south end of Houston Street and at one time ran a small steamboat line. This building was . . . — Map (db m71423) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — F-538 — Holy Trinity
First organized in 1884, Holy Trinity Episcopal Church was erected in 1886 on land donated by Lucy Boardman, who also provided plans for the building. Founding members of the congregation included the Goode, Campbell, Miller, Ely, Ellis and Grubb . . . — Map (db m52927) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Houston Pioneer Cemetery
The pioneer Houston family built its first home just southeast of this location. It was customary in those days of the nineteenth century to bury the dead on the family property, thus this cemetery was established in 1883 when 27 year old Samuel . . . — Map (db m49047) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — F-572 — James Wadswsorth Rossetter House
Descended from 17th Century New England pioneers, James Rossetter (1863-1921) was born in Hamilton County, Florida. Rossetter arrived in Eau Gallie in 1902 and became a leader in the local fishing industry, harvesting the many local waterways as a . . . — Map (db m49214) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Karrick's Grocery
Karrick's Grocery opened in 1918 in a small 16x30 ft. building with an inventory worth $800. Sugar was selling at 28 cents a pound, butter 60 cents a pound, rice 15 cents a pound, and flour $2.35 for 25 pounds. The U.S. was engaged in World War I. . . . — Map (db m69036) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Land Yacht Port-O-Call
Land Yacht Port-O-Call, travel trailer park, originally for Airstream trailers only, was begun in 1969 on 21 acres leased from Melbourne Airport. In 1979 seven and one half acres were added to the park, making room for a total of 647 trailers. . . . — Map (db m52376) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Lincoln Hotel(Now the Florida Air Academy)
The south side of this building was originally built in 1923 as the home for the Ernest Kouwen-Hoven family. During the year they lived in it, it was the scene of many spectacular parties, as well as more down-to-earth "crab-boils" held on the . . . — Map (db m66833) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Little Red SchoolhouseMelbourne Florida's First School
Melbourne's oldest surviving schoolhouse built 1883 by John Goode at his house on the river. Both black and white students, attended 5-6 summer months, sat on benches. Wrote on slates, drank from well near by. Bought by South Brevard Historical . . . — Map (db m55420) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Melbourne Hotel
The Melbourne Hotel was first opened on the evening of September 23, 1924, with several hundred guests in attendance. Elton Hall was the promoter of the hotel and celebrated his 36th birthday on the day of the opening. That same year . . . — Map (db m50320) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Melbourne Ice PlantThis building is on the National Register of Historic Places
This building was started in December, 1926, by Florida Power and Light Co. as a 150-ton ice plant. The plant was to be built in units, with the first unit having a 50-ton capacity. Cost of the building was about $100,000. However, the ice . . . — Map (db m48887) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Melbourne Public Library
The library began in Mrs. Campbell's store called The Bazaar, on lower New Haven Avenue, in 1918. It soon outgrew the store, moved to a building on the corner of New Haven Ave. and Vernon Place, then across the street to the display room of the . . . — Map (db m50307) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Myles Building
This building was erected in 1913 and contained a billiard parlor and restaurant on the ground floor, and the Midway Hotel upstairs. The Melbourne Times moved from its Front Street location to this building almost as soon as it was finished, and . . . — Map (db m49939) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — F-441 — Naval Air Station Melbourne
This site was the 129-building Naval Air Station constructed at the Melbourne Municipal Airport at the beginning of World War II. It was commissioned as Operational Training Unit No. 2 on October 20, 1942 and closed on February 15, 1946. The Station . . . — Map (db m52374) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Old City Hall Complex
Brevard Art Museum was at one time City Hall, police, and fire department of Eau Gallie. Whenever there was a fire, a siren, located on top of the three story roof, would inform all the local volunteers they were needed. Local businessmen on . . . — Map (db m49279) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Old Eau Gallie Post Office and Surrounding Area
This building was the Eau Gallie Post Office circa 1900-1925. Before the advent of automobiles, old-timers recall tying their horses and buggies to the big oak tree in the back. The building just south of the Post Office was Eau Gallie's first . . . — Map (db m49235) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Orange Spot Inn
The original hotel on this site was built in 1884 on property which Richard W. Goode purchased from Thomas Mason first white settler of Melbourne. Mrs. R.W. Goode operated the "Rooming House." She called it the Goode House. In 1894, the . . . — Map (db m50311) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — F-800 — Pentoaya
The Ais Indian town of Pentoaya is thought to have been located atop the arc-shaped sand bluffs that surround the western edge of what is now Ballard Park. Pentoaya was an important prehistoric Indian settlement on the east coast of Florida, and was . . . — Map (db m82819) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Population on the Rise
In 1880 about 200 people lived in the cities of Eau Gallie and Melbourne. Eau Gallie's population in 1886 was 50. By 1890 the combined population in and around the two settlements was 374, of which 187 actually lived within the two communities. . . . — Map (db m49123) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Roesch House
The exact year the Roesch house was built is unknown. It was probably constructed sometime after 1892. It was constructed by William Russell Roesch. Roesch was made city treasurer of Eau Gallie in 1887. Roesch was also mayor of Eau Gallie numerous . . . — Map (db m49136) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Site of First Houston Homestead
The first hickory log cabin built by John C. Houston, original settler of Eau Gallie, was erected in this area. Houston came here in 1859 with his older sons and 10 slaves. He had served in the U.S. Army during the Seminole Indian wars and had been . . . — Map (db m49240) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Site of First Permanent Log Cabin
Richard W. Goode, wife Jessie Goode and three small children arrived in the area of Crane Creek in 1877. They came here from Evanston, Illinois. Goode explored the area, on foot and by boat, while his family remained in the small settlement of . . . — Map (db m73132) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Site of the B-24 Crash During W.W. II
On the night of March 26, 1944, three B-24 aircraft were flying loose formation from Chatham Field in Savannah, Georgia on a training flight. Somewhere over the Atlantic ocean, two of the planes went down without even giving a distress signal. The . . . — Map (db m66829) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — St. John's Episcopal Church
St. John's Episcopal Church parish was founded in 1890, but the church was not built until 1897. The first services were held Feb. 20, 1898. The design of the church is copied from one in Como, Canada, where the Hodgson family formerly lived. The . . . — Map (db m49137) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — St. Paul's United Methodist Church
A Methodist circuit rider, with the aid of early settlers in Eau Gallie, erected a small mission cut out of logs on the north bank of Horse Creek. It was finished with a puncheon floor. Travel to the services was by boat. From 1888 until 1900 the . . . — Map (db m49237) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — F-767 — The First Congregational Church of Melbourne
The First Congregational Church of Melbourne had its beginnings in 1887 when Edward Branch and his wife Abbie began to hold regular Bible study and worship meetings. In December 1887, five men and seven women signed a covenant that was the first . . . — Map (db m66831) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — The Hernandez-Capron Trail
The Hernandez-Capron Trail parallels I-95 here in Brevard County. Laid out in 1838 by U.S. Army during Second Seminole war, it linked King's Road in St. Augustine and forts along St. John's River with Ft. Capron, 4 mi. north of present Ft. Pierce. . . . — Map (db m75839) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — The James W. Rossetter House
James Wadsworth Rossetter, Sr., came to Eau Gallie in 1902. He purchased this property in 1903. The house was built before the War Between the States and is on the former site of the Houston family's slave quarters. One member of that pioneer family . . . — Map (db m48975) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Tin Can Tourist Campground
Almost this entire block was a campground for tin can tourists in the year 1918(?) - 1923. Travelers from all over the country camped here in tents, homemade trailers and even wooden shelters built on the back of Model T Ford trucks. Out houses and . . . — Map (db m50746) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Trysting Steps and Bluff Walk
Originally wooden steps mounted the bluff, providing a means for pedestrians to go from the front street business section to the hotels and residences along the high bluff. At the top of the steps, along bluff walk, were the Carelton Hotel, . . . — Map (db m48888) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Twin Oaks
The two large oak trees that lent their presence to the naming of this house have been damaged and subsequently cut down because of a windstorm. The house has significant history because it was built in the early part of the twentieth century for a . . . — Map (db m49280) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — F-618 — Union Cypress Sawmill1912-1932
The Union Cypress Co. was Melbourne’s first big industry, bringing employment, growth and development to the region. Their big cypress/pine sawmill was a three-story, all-steel structure about 50 by 150 feet. Five, 150-horsepower boilers provided . . . — Map (db m71092) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — F-764 — William H. Gleason House
The William H. Gleason House was built around 1884 by William Henry Gleason (c. 1830-1902) and his wife Sarah Griffin Gleason. Gleason came to Florida in 1866 with his wife and two sons from Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and settled in Dade County. In . . . — Map (db m63911) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne Beach — Community Chapel of Melbourne Beach FloridaNon-Denominational — Built in 1892
This historic Chapel, the oldest Church on the Beaches, has been the center of community religious life since it was built in 1892 on land donated in 1890 by Mr. And Mrs. Henry Whiting. At a cost of $200 and a donation for interior finishing, . . . — Map (db m52929) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne Beach — Melbourne & Atlantic RailroadMelbourne Beach Historic Site — Cyrus E. Graves
On this site, in February of 1889, Captain Alfred Wilcox took delivery of a shipment of steel rail that would be used in the building of the Melbourne & Atlantic Railroad. Over the coming months, railroad track would be laid to connect the Indian . . . — Map (db m52544) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne Beach — Melbourne Beach Pier
Constructed 1889 Restored 1985 Originally built by the Melbourne and Atlantic Railroad company, this pier was the gateway to the barrier island. A "Port Facility" for tourists, residents, freight, and mail, it supported a standard gauge . . . — Map (db m53167) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne Beach — F-688 — Myrtle Cottage
Constructed on this site in 1888, Myrtle Cottage was built by Mrs. Hannah Cummings and her daughter Grace, and was the first house in the area known as Melbourne Beach. The house's construction was made difficult by the lack of roads or docks, and . . . — Map (db m52569) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne Beach — F-640 — Old Melbourne Beach Town Hall
This building was constructed in 1908 facing the Indian River Lagoon in the area now know as Ryckman Park in Melbourne Beach. It originally held offices of the Melbourne Beach Improvement Company. The officers, Capt. Rufus Beaujean, son Donald . . . — Map (db m53166) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne Beach — F-565 — Possible Vicinity of Juan Ponce de Leon’s Landing
While there is disagreement among scholars, it is believed that this site may be in an area where Juan Ponce de Leon made landfall in April 1513. It has long been thought that this event took place near St. Augustine, based upon studies of de Leon's . . . — Map (db m69481) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne Beach — F-641 — Smith Family Homestead
Under the United States Government Homestead Act of 1862, brothers Robert Toombs Smith and Charley Smith laid claim to 158.79 acres on Mullet Creek in 1887. They discovered the property while searching the Indian River Lagoon shoreline by sailboat . . . — Map (db m102830) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne Beach — F-750 — The Ryckman House
One of the first homes in Melbourne Beach, the Ryckman House was built in 1890 for Jacob Fox by Captain Rufus W. Beaujean. Both men were original investors in the Melbourne Beach Company, later named the Melbourne Beach Improvement Company. The . . . — Map (db m93164) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne Beach — The Villa Marine
The Villa Marine Hotel was erected in 1912 by W.L. Sweet. Its construction provided a sorely needed boost for Melbourne Beach as a vacation resort, for other well known resorts north and south were by this time outstripping this community in growth, . . . — Map (db m52928) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne Village — F-542 — Original Melbourne Village Hall
This community hall was constructed, circa 1941, as a barracks on the Banana River Naval Air Station. Following World War II, the Naval Air Station became Patrick Air Force Base. In 1948, this building was declared surplus, and sold to the American . . . — Map (db m52733) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Meritt Island — Saturn V
Saturn V, the United States’ largest and most powerful launch vehicle, was designed to hurl American astronauts in an Apollo capsule to the Moon. Composed of three stages and an instrument unit, the Saturn V, which stood 111 meters (363 feet) tall, . . . — Map (db m105211) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-713 — Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church of Merritt Island & Community Cemetery"White Lilly Cemetery" — 1892
Established in 1892, the Bethel A.M.E. Church of Merritt Island was the first African Methodist Episcopal church on North Tropical Trail, located on land James R. Ragan originally acquired through the Homestead Act in 1895. The wooden church sat on . . . — Map (db m101067) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-557 — Clifton Colored School1890-1891
Before the Clifton Schoolhouse was built, Butler Campbell and Andrew Jackson’s children were home schooled by a black teacher, Mr. Mahaffey. The teacher was paid five dollars for each student, after examination by the County School Superintendent. . . . — Map (db m107986) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-607 — Georgiana Railway: 1892-1894
In 1892, Frank Cass Allen, a Georgiana merchant, began building a 0.6-mile standard-gauge railway with steel rail and wood ties across Merritt’s Island at this location, connecting docks on the Indian and Banana Rivers. It was part of his private . . . — Map (db m94408) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-547 — Georgianna United Methodist Church
Georgianna United Methodist Church was built in the community of Georgiana on Merritt's Island in 1886. The ringing of the church bell still marks the beginning of worship as it has for many decades. Franklin C. Allen, Jr., a local homesteader, . . . — Map (db m102267) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-575 — John H. Sams Homestead
The Sams family came to Brevard County from South Carolina in 1875 to take advantage of the 1860 Homestead Act. The family consisted of John Hanahan Sams, his wife Sarah, their five children, Johns brother William Sams, and his sister, Catherine . . . — Map (db m101410) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-571 — Provost Hall
Provost Hall was originally constructed in 1910 as the Georgiana Club house on land provided by Charles D. Provost and his wife Gertrude Breese Provost. Until their grandchildren, Charles D. Provost and his sister, Mary Virginia Provost Katz, gave . . . — Map (db m94407) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — SATAN Tracking Antenna
The primary function of the SATAN tracking antenna was to receive radio signals in the Ultra High Frequency (UHF) range of 136 to 137 megahertz from orbiting unmanned spacecraft. In service from 1964 until 1979 the . . . — Map (db m13923) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-574 — St. Luke's Episcopal Church
St. Luke's Episcopal Church of Courtenay was formed by the Porcher, LaRoche, Sams and other families that settled on north Merritt Island after leaving the Charleston, South Carolina area in 1875 due to the loss of their homes and plantations during . . . — Map (db m101022) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-583 — The Last Naval Battle of the American Revolutionary War
The last naval battle of the American Revolutionary War took place off the coast of Cape Canaveral on March 10, 1783. The fight began when three British ships sighted two Continental Navy ships, the Alliance commanded by Captain John Barry . . . — Map (db m94406) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Merritt Island — F-659 — Ulumay
The Ais were one of the most influential and powerful tribes in Florida when Spanish Army Lt. Alvaro Mexia mapped Ulumay Lagoon in 1605. He wrote in his diary “Here is the town of Ulumay, the first one of the province of Ais. In back of and . . . — Map (db m72602) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — F-539 — Greater St. James Missionary Baptist Church of Mims
In 1894, after organizing a congregation, St. James Colored Missionary Baptist Church acquired land in Mims, and with Rev. G. Brewer as pastor, built the first wooden church on this site in 1904 under the guidance of Rev. J.S. Gilbert. Many of North . . . — Map (db m101402) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — F-489 — LaGrange Community Cemetery
Established in 1869, this is the oldest cemetery on Florida's lower East Coast. The oldest portion is located in the front center section, evidenced by the southeasterly positioning of the tombstones. Tom Johnson Cockshutt (1841-1917), who arrived . . . — Map (db m101404) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — F-488 — LaGrange/Mims Community Cemetery
In the early 1900s, a two acre parcel of land north of LaGrange Community Church and Cemetery was given to the Mims colored community for a cemetery. Earliest marked graves are dated 1903; many are unmarked. In the 1800s both blacks and whites . . . — Map (db m101403) HM
Florida (Brevard County), North Merritt Island — F-566 — Haulover Canal
Native Americans, explorers and settlers hauled or carried canoes and small boats over this narrow strip of land between Mosquito Lagoon and the Indian River. Eventually it became known as the “haulover.” Connecting both bodies of water . . . — Map (db m108012) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Port Canaveral — Launch Complex 39 Launch Record
Mission » Launch Vehicle » Dates » Crew » Pad » Highlights APOLLO Apollo 4 Saturn V - Nov. 9, 1967: Unmanned » Pad A - Saturn V's First Flight Test Apollo 6 Saturn V - April 4, 1968: Unmanned » Pad A - Second Saturn V Flight Test Apollo 8 . . . — Map (db m118845) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Rockledge — F-609 — Lawndale
This house is one of the last remaining examples of Queen Ann architecture in the area. The tall proportions, a variety of surface textures and the irregularity of plan are representative of this style. One of the most predominant characteristics is . . . — Map (db m102297) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Rockledge — F-600 — Valencia Historic District
The Valencia Historic District was developed during the Florida Land Boom of the 1920s. The Valencia Homes Company was formed in 1924 by local businessmen C. Sweet Smith, Charles D. Smith, L. S. Andrews and Horace R. Bruen. The company acquired a . . . — Map (db m70298) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Satellite Beach — Percy L. HedgecockIn memory of — 1916 - 1987
A strong Christian man who cared for the needs of others more than his own. Founder and first Mayor of Satellite Beach. A man who invested his time, talent and resources to help others. Through 16 years of dedicated service as Mayor, from 1957 to . . . — Map (db m48978) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Satellite Beach — United States Air Force1976 - 2075
The men and women of the Air Force Eastern Test Range proudly dedicate this monument to our national progress in missile and space technology in recognition of the American revolution Bicentennial. Erected on site of support elements for early space . . . — Map (db m57602) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — "TFNG"Space Shuttle Program — Space View Park
The first group of astronauts selected for the Space Transportation System (STS) Program began training in 1978. This group of men and women Followed in the footsteps of the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Manned . . . — Map (db m113138) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — AtlantisSpace Shuttle Program — Space View Park
Name Origin: Named for a Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute Sailing Ship of exploration in the 20th century. Flight History: First flight October 3, 1985. Atlantis was launched into space 33 times and, during 4,848 orbits, flew 126 . . . — Map (db m113083) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — ChallengerSpace Shuttle Program — Space View Park
Name Origin: Named for a British exploration ship that sailed in the 19th Century, as well as the Apollo 17 lunar module. Flight History: First flight April 4, 1983. Challenger completed 995 orbits during 10 missions beginning in 1983. . . . — Map (db m113067) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — ColumbiaSpace Shuttle Program — Space View Park
Name Origin: Boston-based ship that explored the Pacific Northwest during the 18th century. Flight History: First flight April 12, 1981. Columbia was the first Space Shuttle Orbiter to launch into space, flying 28 times. In 2003, on its . . . — Map (db m113062) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — DiscoverySpace Shuttle Program — Space View Park
Name Origin: Named for two famous British ships of exploration in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Flight History: First flight August 30, 1984. Discovery was NASA’s “workhorse shuttle’. During 39 missions, between 1984 and 2011, . . . — Map (db m113074) HM

Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-261 — Douglas Dummett - Dummett Grove
Indian River oranges, one of Florida's most outstanding products were developed in the 19th century by Douglas Dummett. The Dummett family immigrated from the Barbados in 1807. By 1825, Thomas Dummett had acquired sugar plantations on the east coast . . . — Map (db m125643) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — EndeavourSpace Shuttle Program — Space View Park
Name Origin: Named by schoolchildren for the famous British ship that took James Cook on his first voyage of exploration in the 18th century. Flight History: First flight May 7, 1992. Endeavour was built to replace Challenger and flew 25 . . . — Map (db m113080) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — EnterpriseSpace Shuttle Program — Space View Park
Name Origin: Enterprise was named for the spaceship from the Star Trek television series. Flight & Test Orbiter: First free flight August 12, 1977. Enterprise was used for the Approach and Landing test program, making five free . . . — Map (db m113001) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-408 — Harry T. & Harriette V. Moore Memorial Homesite
This property is the former homesite of civil rights activists Harry T. and Harriette V. Moore, two people whose lives were committed to help Florida’s Negro communities unite to form a collective identity. Mr. Moore was a Brevard County educator . . . — Map (db m99536) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Hernandez Trail
Hernandez Trail 1837-1928 — Map (db m102313) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — JT&KW Railroad & Indian River Steamboat Wharf, 1885Historic Titusville
Arriving in 1885, the first railroad to Titusville was a 35-mile stretch of track from Enterprise on a line of the Jacksonville, Tampa, and Key West Railroad, the JT&KW. The tracks ran down the middle of Broad Street’s right-of-way, and out onto a . . . — Map (db m112675) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Jules Verne vs. NASA’s Apollo 11Space View Park
Jules Verne’s mythical journey to the Moon in the 1880’s was similar to the Apollo 11 launched on July 16, 1969 Both had three man crews Both landed in the Pacific Ocean Both used retro-rockets for descent Both flights blasted off . . . — Map (db m112256) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Liberty Tree
We descendants of the heroes of the American Revolution who, by their sacrifices established the United States of America …_ dedicate this Liberty Tree in their honor. — Map (db m113326) WM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Old Glory
Top section of marker: Old Glory I Am The Star Spangled Banner..... Conceived In 1777 Out Of Love America Bore For Liberty And Honor. I Am The Memorial Of Countless Heroes Who Shed Their Blood To Preserve This . . . — Map (db m115280) WM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-589 — Oliver's Camp
This site derives its name from the Oliver family who migrated from Missouri and homesteaded this area of Turnbull Hammock in the early 1870’s. They owned large tracts of timberland and citrus groves, and the main “camp” was located . . . — Map (db m72737) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Project Mercury MemorialSpace View Park
Mercury Project Initiated in 1958, completed in 1963. Project Mercury was United States’ first man-in-space program. Over 2,000,000 people from many government agencies and aerospace corporations combining their skills and experiences into the . . . — Map (db m116582) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Robert H. Goddard’s First Liquid Fueled RocketSpace View Park
The first flight of a liquid oxygen – gasoline rocket occurred March 16, 1926 in Auburn, Mass. Traveling a distance of 184 feet in 2.5 seconds with an average speed of 60 miles per hour. — Map (db m112263) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Scobie Fish & Oyster Company - 1885Historic Titusville
George W. Scobie sailed his 50-foot oyster boat Sophie Fry to Titusville in 1885 and founded the Indian River commercial fishing industry. When rail service arrived, he began shipping large quantities of oysters and fish north. Before long, . . . — Map (db m101409) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-231 — St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church
In 1887, construction of a church was begun on land donated to the Titusville Episcopal mission by Mary Titus, wife of the town's founder, and J. Dunlin Perkinson, lay reader of the mission. The name of the church was changed from St. John's to St. . . . — Map (db m101181) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Striving For Peace Throughout The World
Dedicated To All The U.S. Armed Forces Serving Throughout The World — Map (db m115424) WM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-602 — The Addison/Ellis Canal
In 1911, Edgar W. Ellis and J. H. Beckwith put together a consortium of developers known as the Titusville Fruit and Farm Lands Company. They acquired 22,500 acres in the western portion of the old Delespine Grant with plans to drain marshland in . . . — Map (db m50129) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-558 — The Pritchard House1891
Captain James Pritchard bought a lot from Mary Titus, and in the spring of 1891 contracted Pleasant J. Hall, who had built St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church, to build a Queen Anne style house of heart pine. It appears today much like it did then. On . . . — Map (db m25752) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — The Steamboat Pioneer, 1877Historic Titusville
Not far from this spot lie the burned remains of the steamboat Pioneer, the first commercial passenger steamboat on the Indian River. The Pioneer was the flagship of Captain T.J. Lund’s Pioneer Steamboat Company, formed in the 1870’s . . . — Map (db m112669) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — The Tuskegee Airmen Of World War II
On Silver Wings Of Hope And Pride, They Overcame Adversity Both At Home And Abroad Through Courage, Commitment & Competence To Achieve A Record Never To Be Excelled. — Map (db m115432) WM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-36 — Titus House
Located on the Indian River, the hotel was built (circa 1869) and operated by Henry T. Titus, founder of Titusville. The building, constructed of wood, was U-shaped with each room opening on a veranda facing a tropical garden. In the days of steam . . . — Map (db m101407) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Titus House & the Indian River Hotel, c. 1869Historic Titusville
The Titus House was one of the earliest hotels on the Indian River. It was built by Henry Titus, founder of Titusville, on the site across the street. Col. Titus had a colorful career that included blockade running during the Civil War. He became . . . — Map (db m101408) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Titusville Negro School
Following temporary sites on Washington Avenue in 1883 and Dummitt Avenue in 1886, the Titusville Negro School was located on this site in 1915; it housed grades 1-8. The original building was burned in 1931, and a new eight-classroom frame building . . . — Map (db m67691) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-897 — Titusville Veteran's Memorial Fishing Pier
This pier was the western end of Walker Bridge, the first bridge linking Titusville to Merritt Island. Built in 1922, the hand-cranked, wooden drawbridge served the area until preparations for a modern causeway began in the late 1930s. Causeway . . . — Map (db m100950) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-486 — Windover Archaeological Site
Discovered by accident in 1982, the Windover site is a burial place of Early Native Americans who inhabited this region 7,000 to 8,000 years ago. The burials were placed underwater in the peat of the shallow pond. This peat helped to preserve . . . — Map (db m60342) HM
Florida (Brevard County), West Melbourne — F-619 — Union Cypress Railway1912-1932
This 18.5-mile standard-gauge railway was built to carry logs from the large cypress/pine holdings of George W. Hopkins, at Deer Park, to the Union Cypress sawmill just south of Melbourne. Two new and seven used steam locomotives would eventually . . . — Map (db m52423) HM

140 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.