Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Decatur County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Side 2: Shade Grown Tobacco Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
Side 2: Shade Grown Tobacco Marker
Georgia (Decatur County), Attapulgus — Amsterdam, Georgia / Shade Grown Tobacco
(Side 1): Amsterdam, Georgia In 1891, A. Cohn & Co. purchased 14,000 acres for tobacco cultivation and named it Amsterdam. At that time, the property was the largest tobacco plantation in the world under one ownership. In 1907, . . . — Map (db m56069) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Attapulgus — Attapulgite / Fullers Earth
Attapulgite - Side 1 There are many types of Fullers Earth clay. Attapulgite is a unique type, found in the USA only in Decatur County, GA and Gadsden County, Fl. It is also found in Spain, Russia , and China. The unique nature of . . . — Map (db m40870) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Attapulgus — Attapulgus
Side 1: Attapulgus was one of the first settlements in Decatur County, Georgia. It was first known as the Borough of Pleasant Grove. The name was changed when a post office was established in 1838. “Attapulgus” was taken from a . . . — Map (db m40944) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Attapulgus — Attapulgus Cemetery Inc.Hatcher Annex
This property was given to the Attapulgus Cemetery Inc. on Easter Sunday, April 15, 2001, by Dr. and Mrs. Charles Ross Hatcher Jr., To the Glory of God, Our Father, And in memory of his parents, Charles Ross and Vivian Miller Hatcher Sr. . . . — Map (db m57447) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Attapulgus — Attapulgus High School
Side 1: A male academy was established in Attapulgus in 1836 and a female academy in 1852. A four-room frame building was built on the site after establishment of public education in Georgia in 1872. In 1921 Mariola School joined Attapulgus . . . — Map (db m40742) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Attapulgus — Attapulgus Presbyterian Cemetery
Perpetual Care Foundation Lot given by J. H. Gibson 1850 Pleasant Grove Presbyterian Church Cemetery 1854 Resolution 1966 Record Decatur Co, GA. In Memory Gibson, Chestnut, Cook, Pound & others by descendants. Initial gift W.P. Cook . . . — Map (db m57360) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Attapulgus — Gragg Lumber Company
(Side 1:) In 1926, brothers John, Earl, Wayne and Gilbert Gragg came from North Carolina to establish a sawmill six tenths of a mile north of here on the east side of Amsterdam Road. As the Gragg Lumber Co., they leased cutting . . . — Map (db m56071) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — Bainbridge Army Air Field
In August, 1942, on this 2,053 acre tract, the U.S. Army constructed a basic flight training field. It remained open until 1945. At its peak 9600 officers, enlisted men, trainees and WACS were stationed here; there were 700 civilian employees, . . . — Map (db m55574) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 043-1 — Battle of 1702
In this vicinity was fought the Flint Battle of 1702 between the English under Capt. Antonio with Creek allies from Achito (near Columbus) and the Spaniards under Capt. Francisco Romo Uriza with 800 Indians from Bacuqua (north of Tallahassee). In a . . . — Map (db m55598) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — Battle of 1702
In this vicinity was fought the Flint Battle of 1702 between the English under Captain Antonio with Creek allies from Achito (near Columbus) and the Spaniards under Captain Francisco Romo Uriza with 800 Indians from Bacuqua (north of Tallahassee). . . . — Map (db m55600) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 27 R-7 — Camp Recovery
On the east side of Flint River, twenty-one miles southwest is the site of Camp Recovery, established during the First Seminole Indian War as a hospital base to which the sick soldiers from Fort Scott were sent to recover. A Federal Monument on the . . . — Map (db m55668) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — Charles James Munnerlyn / “Refuge” 1822 ~ 1898
(Side 1): Charles James Munnerlyn 1822 ~ 1898 As a delegate to the Georgia Convention at Milledgeville, he voted for secession. After the start of the Civil War, he volunteered as a private. When his health failed he returned home . . . — Map (db m55947) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 27 R-6-A — De Soto Trail 1540
In this neighborhood Hernando de Soto and his army discovered the inland waters of the Flint River (“the River of Capachequi”) on Friday, March 5, 1540. Leaving the vicinity of the present Tallahassee, Florida, the Spaniards marched . . . — Map (db m55921) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 043-4 — Decatur County
Decatur County was created by Act of Dec. 8, 1823 from Early County. Sessions were cut off later to form part of Seminole and Grady Counties. It was named for Stephen Decatur (1779-1820), naval officer who served with great gallantry at Tripoli and . . . — Map (db m39417) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — Decatur County During the Creek and Seminole Wars Era — Creek Heritage Trail
Decatur County was once a frontier region shared by the Creek and the Seminole Nations. The Creeks, comprised of dozens of loosely associate groups, lived primarily along the southern reaches of the Chattahoochee and Flint Rivers in Alabama and . . . — Map (db m117156) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 27 R-12 — El Camino Real (The King’s Highway)
In this vicinity was the Indian trail which, during the period of Spanish occupation, became known as El Camino Real or King’s Highway. This road, connecting St. Augustine and Pensacola, Florida, crossed the Flint River at the trading post of James . . . — Map (db m55920) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute / Union Normal School
First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute In 1876, the First Flint River Missionary Baptist Association was formed to help “lift the veil of ignorance from its people” using land purchased in 1896 and 1915. The Association . . . — Map (db m40946) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 84 J-8 — First Presbyterian Church
The First Presbyterian Church once stood here. It was a handsome building with a lofty ceiling, vestibule and three sided gallery. The lot was one-half acre in size, cost $110 and was bounded by Troup, West and Crawford Streets. The congregation was . . . — Map (db m55493) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — First United Methodist Church
Founded in 1823, title to this property was conveyed to the church in 1830 by the Inferior Court, Bainbridge. An initial building was erected about 1840 and was also used during the 1850’s for services by Baptists and Presbyterians. In 1854 an . . . — Map (db m55804) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 27 R-6 — Fort Hughes
Four blocks west is the site of Fort Hughes, built in 1817, by the 7th Regiment of the U.S. Infantry under the command of Captain John M. McIntosh. This fort served as a protection for foraging parties and as a trading post and U.S. Arsenal during . . . — Map (db m55507) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 043-5 — Fort Scott<-------<<<
In June 1816 Lt. Col. D. L. Clinch and a detachment of the 4th U.S. Infantry set up camp one mile west of here, calling it Camp Crawford. They began construction of a fort on the site in September 1816, naming it Fort Scott. Need for a fort was . . . — Map (db m55511) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — Fort Scott Memorial
This monument was originally located in Land Lot Number 224 in the 21st District of Decatur County, Georgia, 16 miles southwest of Bainbridge and on the site of Fort Scott built in 1816 and abandoned in 1821. It was removed to its present . . . — Map (db m55902) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — General Andrew Jackson Trail
Here passed the trail used by General Andrew Jackson and his troops on his way to Fort Hughes [now Bainbridge] and Fort Scott fourteen miles southwest during the First Seminole Indian War, March 8, 1818 — Map (db m121849) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — Hutto School
Side 1: The first school for former slaves in this county was established in 1869 and was known as the Whittier School and Tabernacle for Colored Children. It was on Shotwell Street and had grades 1-7. The name soon changed to Whittier . . . — Map (db m40945) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — In Memory of Revolutionary Soldiers
In Memory of Revolutionary Soldiers Who Settled and Died in Decatur County Joel Darcy Private – Capt. Bickham’s Company Militia of Burke Co., GA. Commanded by Col. Asa Emanuel Thomas Fain Private – N. . . . — Map (db m61052) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — Steamboats
(Side 1): In 1827 the Fanny was the first of more than 220 steamboats to visit Bainbridge and ply the waters of the Apalachicola-Chattahoochee-Flint river system. These boats docked at the city's landings below the high bluff on the . . . — Map (db m56031) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — The Bainbridge Volunteers
The Bainbridge Volunteers Later The Bainbridge Independents Organized 1859, by Captain Charles G. Campbell, assembled here in March 1861 and entered service under the command of Captain John W. Evans . . . — Map (db m57419) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — The Battle of Fowltown — Creek Heritage Trail
The Battle of Fowltown, fought just a few miles to the south of this spot, marked the beginning of the First Seminole War. Fowltown was a Seminole village led by Chief Neamathla which had been allied with the British during the War of 1812. It lay . . . — Map (db m117158) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — The First Seminole War in Decatur County — Creek Heritage Trail
The area that became Decatur County played a major role in the First Seminole War. Located on the border with Spanish Florida, the region witnessed persistent violence and raiding between American settlers, Creeks and Seminoles in the early . . . — Map (db m117154) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — The J.D. Chason Memorial Park / The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History
(Side 1): The J.D. Chason Memorial Park The J.D. Chason Memorial Park stands a permanent honor in memory of the late Doctor J.D. Chason. Members of his immediate family graciously presented it on December 29, 1921 to the city of . . . — Map (db m55894) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — The Second Creek War and Removal in the Decatur County Area — Creek Heritage Trail
Conflict between Creeks, Seminoles and Americans continued in the years after the First Seminole War. Beginning in the 1820s in Florida, the United States pressured the Seminoles to relocate to the West. At the same time in Georgia and Alabama, the . . . — Map (db m117160) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 043-3 — The Tonge Factory
The Tonge Factory, owned by S. D. Tonge, stood on the South bank of the Flint river one-fourth mile West of here. The cloth produced by this plant was used by the women of Bainbridge to make uniforms for the Confederate soldiers of Decatur county. . . . — Map (db m55646) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — Village of Fowltown
In this vicinity stood the Seminole village of Fowltown, scene of battle, Nov. 21, 1817, which marked the beginning of the First Seminole Indian War. The engagement resulted when Major Twiggs with 250 soldiers from Fort Scott attempted to arrest its . . . — Map (db m116793) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Brinson — Brinson / Simeon Brinson1847 ~ 1918
(Side 1): Brinson First settled in the 1850’s present day Brinson was originally known as Spring Creek. The name was changed in 1889 when the town was laid out and established by Simeon Brinson. In that same year the Alabama . . . — Map (db m55981) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Brinson — Cyrene / Cyrene Institute
(Side 1): Cyrene Approximately 1.6 miles north of this location is the village of Cyrene. Founded about 1890 by C. S. Hodges and W. G. Powell, Cyrene was typical of the many mill towns established along the railroad to utilize . . . — Map (db m55958) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Climax — Climax, Georgia
Climax is the highest point on the railroad between Savannah, Ga., and the Chattahoochee River. The town was laid out and named in 1883 after a branch rail line was built to Chattahoochee, Fla. Later, a second branch rail line was built to . . . — Map (db m124901) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Faceville — Ira Sanborn
Decatur County’s first industrialist was Ira Sanborn, a native of Concord, New Hampshire. Born in 1799, Sanborn came to Apalachicola, Florida about 1830 and later resettled in Quincy, Florida where he married Susan Woodson. In 1833 they moved to . . . — Map (db m55924) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Recovery — Camp Recovery
This medical camp was established on September 15, 1820 by the Southeastern Army of the United States headquartered at Fort Scott. It was used as a recuperation area for soldiers who had contracted malaria and dysentery in the swampy environs of the . . . — Map (db m55884) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Recovery — Camp Recovery Monument
Erected on the site of Camp Recovery near which are buried officers and soldiers of the United States Army who died during the Indian Wars in the Flint River and Chattahoochee River countries [sic] 1817 to 1821 — Map (db m116792) HM WM

39 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.