Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Iberia Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Avery Island Salt Dome Marker image, Touch for more information
June 6, 2018
Avery Island Salt Dome Marker
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — Avery Island Salt DomeJungle Gardens — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
Avery Island is a 2,200 acre salt dome located in coastal Iberia Parish. The dome's elevation supports habitats not found in the surrounding marshes, swamps and parishes.

Avery Island stands out from the surrounding wetlands, rising at its . . . — Map (db m118435) HM

Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 12 — Bamboo
Jungle Gardens includes one of the oldest timber bamboo groves in America. In 1909, Edward Avery Mcllhenny wrote to the USDA's Bureau of Plant Industry to inquire about growing Bamboo on Avery Island. At the time Mcllhenny believed bamboo could . . . — Map (db m126096) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 2 — Bayou Petite Anse
Petite Anse actually means "Little Cove"'' in Louisiana French. This particular bayou runs along the west side of Avery Island before flowing south into Vermilion Bay and the Gulf of Mexico (through the Avery Canal). In the 19th . . . — Map (db m118481) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 11 — Bird City
Edward Avery McIlhenny was inspired to create Bird City after a British colonial official visited Avery Island. The official told the story of a Rajah in India who built enormous "flying cages” (aviaries) to house his live bird collection. . . . — Map (db m118877) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 4 — Boat House
This structure is known as the Ward Boathouse. Like Edward Avery Mclhenny, Charles Willis Ward (1856-1920) ran a plant nursery and was an avid conservationist. Around 1910, McIlhenny and Ward met, and with McIlhenny's permission Ward set up a . . . — Map (db m118532) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 8 — Buddah
In 1936, a year after Jungle Gardens opened to the public, two of McIlhenny's friends, Robert M. Youngs and Ernest B. Tracy of New York City, presented him with a magnificent Buddha statue that they hoped would find an ideal home among his Asian . . . — Map (db m118857) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — FactoryMcIlhenny Company — Tabasco
Edmund McIlhenny concocted the now famous TABASCO® brand pepper sauce in a wooden frame building called the “Laboratory” on the Homestead grounds of the Avery McIlhenny family. A factory built in the early 1900s replaced the Laboratory . . . — Map (db m62015) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — First Rock Salt Mine
Salt evaporated from brine springs on Avery Island since 1791. On May 4, 1862, workmen enlarging these springs to produce more salt for the Confederacy hit solid salt at a depth of 16 feet. Mining operations, the first of this type in North America, . . . — Map (db m71628) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 13 — McIlhenny
A self taught naturalist, Edward Avery McIlhenny returned to Avery Island from an arctic expedition in 1898. He shortly took over the family's TABASCO® pepper sauce business. McIlhenny married Mary Matthews of New Orleans and built a house in what . . . — Map (db m118876) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 1 — Southern Live Oaks
This area was once known as the Hog Lot. It provided green pastures for grazing pigs and horses alike and became part of Jungle Gardens in the 1930s. The live oaks here were planted between the 1860s and the 1920s.

Natural groves of live oaks . . . — Map (db m126097) HM

Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 14 — Sunken Gardens
In its day, this garden was an engineering marvel. Avery Island is an extruded "bubble" of a salt dome, formed from the salt of an ancient Jurassic sea that left a vast bed of salt far below the marshy surface along the Louisiana coast. Over the . . . — Map (db m119738) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 6 — The Cleveland OakGrover Cleveland
The Cleveland Oak was named for Grover Cleveland (1837-1908), the two-term U.S. President (1885-1889 and 1893-1897). Cleveland was a close friend of Joe Jefferson (1829-1905), the actor of Rip Van Winkle fame who owned nearby Jefferson Island. . . . — Map (db m118534) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — This Buddah
This Buddah Was built for the Shonfa Temple located northeast of Peking, by the order of Emperor Hui-Tsung 1101-1125

Its builder was Chon-Ha-Chin, most noted of ancient Buddah makers.

The temple was looted by a rebel general . . . — Map (db m118855) HM

Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Jeanerette — Bayside Plantation
This house was built in 1850 by Francis D. Richardson on Bayou Teche in Greek Revival style of the period. Richardson, a classmate & friend of Edgar Allen Poe, purchased the land for a sugar plantation. Named Bayside because of dense growth of bay . . . — Map (db m85042) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Jeanerette — Beau Pre-Circa 1828
This home, originally known as Pine Grove, was bought in 1830 by John W. Jeanerette, the first postmaster between New Iberia and Charenton, and for whom Jeanerette is named. This historic home escaped the destruction of military operations in the . . . — Map (db m85278) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Jeanerette — Harry B. Hewes House
This East Lake Victorian home, built in 1897, was the home of Harry Bertram Hewes until his death in 1953. Hewes, descendant of one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, was a founder and co~owner of Jeanerette Lumber and Shingle Co., . . . — Map (db m86599) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Jeanerette — Nicholas Provôt
"The Father of Jeanerette." Buried here September 12, 1816. One of the area’s first landowners. Town of Jeanerette grew up on site of his plantation. His descendants have been prominent in local history. — Map (db m86628) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Jeanerette — St. John The Evangelist Church Parish
Founded 12 January 1879 by Napoleon J. Perche, Archbishop of New Orleans. The present church was built in 1908, Rev. M. Bardy, pastor, August 1885 - June 1928. — Map (db m86664) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Lydia — Olivier Plantation
After starting business in 1898, Jules Olivier built this store in 1908 to serve his growing plantation. Mr. Olivier was commissioned the community's first postmaster in 1898 and his store housed the first Lydia post office until the arrival of . . . — Map (db m85052) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — A Walk of Faith
Consecrated in 1858 on land donated by plantation owner Harvey Hopkins, the Episcopal Church of the Epiphany is the oldest church building still in use in New Iberia. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. One thing . . . — Map (db m99361) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Bayou TecheBayou Teche at PJ Allain Waterfront Park & Sculptural Garden — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
Because movement here in the late 1800s was easier by water than by land, many daily activities occurred on or along Bayou Teche, including transportation, trade, and mail delivery.

Bayou Teche is an ancient channel of the Mississippi River, . . . — Map (db m116057) HM

Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Bazus BuildingCirca 1880
Originally the Iberia House, the Bezus Building was erected circa 1880 on property purchased in 1868 by Laurent Bazus, a native of Vin-En-Bigorre, France. It is considered the oldest existing structure in New Iberia's downtown. Laurent's heirs have . . . — Map (db m104453) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Becoming New Iberia
In 1779, a group of about 500 Spanish settlers moved from Malaga, Spain to the banks of Bayou Teche and founded the city of "Nueva Iberia," named after their Iberian Peninsula. It is the only town still in existence in Louisiana to be founded by . . . — Map (db m98640) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Evangeline TheaterCirca 1930
After the Great Fire of 1870, the Dreyfus Building was partitioned in 1929, with this portion becoming one of the city's early movie houses, The Evangeline Theater., Opened on April 19, 1930, by the Theodore Sliman Family, the building was renovated . . . — Map (db m104442) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Félicité
A black woman, native of Haiti. During the yellow fever epidemic here in 1839, she nursed the sick, administered to the dying, closed the eyes of the dead, and wept over their graves. Loved and honored by townspeople for the remainder of her life, . . . — Map (db m85048) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Frédéric Henri Duperier
A native of Philadelphia whose family refugeed from Haiti, he settled here in 1816. In 1825 he married Hortense Bérard and purchased land here. A merchant and planter, he and his wife donated in 1837 the land upon which the Catholic church was . . . — Map (db m93351) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Frederick Larned Gates
Former home of Frederick Larned Gates (1827-1897), outstanding citizen, businessman, lawyer and Civil War veteran. He served as district judge in the 1870's and 1880's. As an early industrialist, Gates developed a cotton seed oil business which was . . . — Map (db m85047) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Grotto of Our Lady of LourdesCirca 1941
St. Peter's College, a Catholic boys' school, opened on September 9, 1918, and educated young men in grades 1-12. The first commencement was held on June 20, 1922. Inaugural faculty members were Brother A. Arsenius (principal), Brother A. Xavier, . . . — Map (db m99403) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Howe Institute1890-1933
Site of the first organized school for Black students in Iberia Parish, controlled by the Union 6th District Missionary Baptist Association, with Mr. Jonas Henderson, Sr. , principal and a dedicated staff of professionals. — Map (db m98518) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Iberia Courthouse BuildingCirca 1940
Iberia Parish, created in 1868, conducted the business of government in rented space until 1884 with the building of the first permanent courthouse at present day Bouligny Plaza on Main Street. With the help of Public Works Administration funds, . . . — Map (db m99724) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — James Lee Burke
Fans of author James Lee Burke will easily recognize New Iberia as the settings for several of his famed Dave Robicheaux novels. Burke, who has been called the Faulkner of crime fiction, spent summers with his family in New Iberia. This area is . . . — Map (db m104429) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Jefferson Island
Once known as Orange Island purchased after the Civil War by Joseph Jefferson (1829 to 1905), world famous actor and artist. Home designed and built about 1870. — Map (db m105148) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Lake PeigneurRip Van Winkle Gardens — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
A lone chimney rises above the surface of Lake Peigneur as a reminder of the unusual disaster that occurred here in 1980.

More than 140 years ago, Lake Peigneur was described as the most beautiful lake in the South. The present-day lake and . . . — Map (db m118837) HM

Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Lieutenant Colonel Francisco Bouligny1736-1800
In the spring of 1779, Bouligny acting on order of Governor Bernardo de Galvez, led about 60 Spanish settlers to this site, marking the founding of New Iberia. To commemorate that event, the schoolchildren of New Iberia and the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m86913) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Mt. Carmel Academy
An educational institution for girls established in 1872 by the Sisters of Mt. Carmel. The order was founded in 1825 in Tours, France. The old building which is nearest Bayou Teche was constructed by Henry F. Duperier in 1826. — Map (db m49066) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — New Iberia
Early in 1779 Governor Galvez sent Lieutenant Colonel Francisco Bouligny with nearly five hundred Spanish and Canary Island Colonists to establish a settlement on the lower Bayou Teche in the Attakapas Country. These Spanish Colonists named their . . . — Map (db m85049) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — New Iberia Shipwreck
The wreckage of Teche, a steamship, lies buried below the surface at this site. The steamer, built in 1860, was originally named Sam Sugg and then Tom Sugg. It was constructed for commercial use with a small side-wheeled . . . — Map (db m115657) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Provost's Café and Bar/Clementine Fine Dining and SpiritsCirca 1890
Originally part of the 1777 Spanish Land Grant to François Prévost, this Iberia to Julia Street property with its circa 1890 building was purchased by Frédéric Henri Dupérier in 1829. The property remained with the heirs of Dupérier until its sale . . . — Map (db m104448) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Saint Peter's CollegeCirca 1918
On this site stood the 1885 Gothic Revival home of John Marsh Henshaw, purchased by Monsignor Jean Marie Langlois in 1913, Saint Peter's College began educating boys on September 9, 1918. A school building was constructed east of the Henshaw . . . — Map (db m99402) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Segura - Labourgeois BuildingCirca 1885
This building, constructed in the late 1880's, served as the easternmost terminus of The Great Fire of 1899. Although its windows were blown out and its second floor interior charred, the brick structure stopped the fire from spreading farther . . . — Map (db m99723) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Shadows-On-The Teche
Shadows-On-The Teche Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1975 National Park Service United States . . . — Map (db m87097) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Spanish Lake
First known as Lake Flamand for one of the early settlers, Jean Baptist Grevemberg; known as Lake Tasse by the French due to its cup shape; and known as Spanish Lake for early Spanish colonials who lived on its shores. — Map (db m115654) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — St. Peter's Cemetery
Established Mar. 24, 1838. Interred here are F.H. Duperier, incorporator of New Iberia, U.S. Senators Robert & Edwin Broussard, Lt. Gov. Emile Verret, James Beddell, designer of "The Shadows," & other prominent individuals. — Map (db m85276) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Sugar Cane Festival and Fair BuildingCirca 1951
This building, dedicated in 1951, was constructed with funds provided by the State of Louisiana. Designed by noted architect Owen J. Southwell, this local landmark, with its sugar cane mill inspired exterior and classic European Renaissance themed . . . — Map (db m99928) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Davis BuildingCirca 1892
This building, constructed in 1892 by the Jacob Davis Family on land purchased from Leonidas Serret, remained in the Davis family until its 1936 purchase by Dr. Paul A. Lebourgeois. The pediment brickwork of the second story facade is considered . . . — Map (db m104430) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Dreyfus BuildingCirca 1880
In the late nineteenth century, the Dreyfus building functioned as a large wholesale grocery. The original brick structure dates back to the period just after the great fire of 1870. In late 1929, it was partitioned to create two buildings. The . . . — Map (db m86987) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Episcopal Church Of The Epiphany
Built in 1858 on land donated by Harvey Hopkins. Consecrated May 16, 1858 by the Rt. Rev. Leonidas Polk, first Episcopal Bishop of Louisiana. This Gothic Revival structure is the oldest non-residential building in New Iberia. During the War Between . . . — Map (db m86911) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Erath BuildingCirca 1884
August Erath, born in Morat, Switzerland, in 1843, came to Louisiana in 1866, married Catherine Becht, and moved to New Iberia in 1876. Erath was a brewer by trade and practiced his art here for a few years. In 1884, he commissioned the construction . . . — Map (db m87039) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Gouguenheim BuildingCirca 1890
This building, having a second story gallery which extended over the sidewalk, was largely responsible for preventing a disastrous fire from spreading throughout the Town's business district. As flamed destroyed the block just east of here on the . . . — Map (db m104451) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Great FireCirca 1899
About 6:00 PM, October 10, 1899, fire started in a warehouse just east of here. Within minutes, the surrounding buildings were ablaze. The entire square, from Julia to Iberia Streets and from Main to St. Peter Streets burned before midnight. Only . . . — Map (db m87040) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Murray BuildingCirca 1900
Owned by the Fitzhugh Murray family for most of the 20th century, this building was occupied and leased by several buisnesses, including Deblanc and Landry Grocery, Tibby-Rouse Auto Parts, Berard Brothers Towing Company and Nick Fritella's Shoe . . . — Map (db m87042) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Original New Iberia Fire Bell
First hung at Fire Engine Company No. 1, Vine and Main Streets, circa 1868, this bell was moved to the Fire Station—City Hall—Central Market erected 1898 on Main. About 1900 the Bernard Blacksmith Shop, later the A.M. Bernard Wagon . . . — Map (db m98516) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Steamboat EraCirca 1830-1943
Throughout much of the nineteenth century, New Iberia was the area terminus for water-borne traffic on Bayou Teche from north and east. Barges, schooners and smaller craft plied the Teche until the coming of the steamboat. In the fall of 1830, the . . . — Map (db m87096) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The United States Post Office - Circa 1903
Although a United States Post Office was established in New Iberia in 1814, local postal facilities were housed in rented space throughout the 19th century. In march 1899, through the efforts of Congressman Robert Broussard of New Iberia, congress . . . — Map (db m87094) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Weeks' GroveCirca 1902
This building stands in what was known as "Weeks Grove" of Live Oak trees which extended from Bayou Teche southward for several blocks and which for years formed the eastern boundary of the town. About the turn of the century the "Weeks Grove" . . . — Map (db m87122) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Veterans Memorial BuildingCirca 1949
This building was built on property purchased from Dr. Andrew Emmer by the Iberia Parish Police Jury in 1948 during the period of patriotism following World War II. Designed by noted Louisiana architect A. Town Hays and constructed in 1949, the . . . — Map (db m100171) HM WM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — William G. "Bunk" Johnson
Everyone's heard of Louis Armstrong, the most famous New Orleans jazz trumpeter, but few know the music that inspired Armstrong came from William "Bunk" Johnson in the 1910s. Thirty years later, Armstrong and other jazz enthusiasts lifted "Bunk" . . . — Map (db m98678) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Wormser's Department StoreCirca 1932
Constructed after the Great Fire of 1899, these buildings once housed Jake Weil's clothing store named The Hub and Schwing and Carsten's Department Store. In 1932, Justin Wormser established Wormser's Department Store in the westernmost building. . . . — Map (db m104449) HM

58 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.