Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Johnson County Texas Historical Markers

 
Duke Cemetery Marker image, Touch for more information
By J Frye
Duke Cemetery Marker
Texas (Johnson County), Alvarado — 11959 — Duke Cemetery
Dr. John Duke (1827-1884), his wife Martha (1836-1888), and their family moved to Johnson County in 1854. they established a farm in the area later called the Willow Springs community. When their ten-year-old daughter Zilla died in 1870, they . . . — Map (db m146721) HM
Texas (Johnson County), Cleburne — 915 — Cleburne Town Square
Traces its beginning to 1854 when first house, a log cabin, was built here near a good spring. County seat was bodily moved by wagon to this place (then called Camp Henderson) in 1867, and renamed to honor Patrick Cleburne, a Confederate . . . — Map (db m73239) HM
Texas (Johnson County), Cleburne — 2837 — Colonel Middleton T. Johnson
County named for Texas Confederate Colonel Middleton T. Johnson 1810-1866 South Carolinian; Legislator Alabama came to Texas 1840. Member Republic of Texas Congress. Cavalryman in U.S. War with Mexico. Texas Ranger surveyor of early . . . — Map (db m54826) HM
Texas (Johnson County), Cleburne — 2837 — General Patrick R. Cleburne
City named for Confederate General Patrick R. Cleburne 1828-1864 Born near Cork, Ireland came to U.S. 1849. Drug clerk in Ohio, became lawyer in Arkansas. Recruited 1st Arkansas Regt. for Confederacy. Elected colonel. Promoted brigadier . . . — Map (db m54825) HM
Texas (Johnson County), Cleburne — 2831 — Johnson County Courthouse
Organized in 1854, Johnson County located its seat of government to Wardville and in Buchanan before moving in 1867 to Camp Henderson, which later became Cleburne. The Buchanan courthouse was moved to the new county seat and used until 1869, when . . . — Map (db m73143) HM
Texas (Johnson County), Godley — 1633 — First Baptist Church of Godley
Originally known as Bethany Baptist Church, this congregation was organized in the spring of 1878 at the home of J.P. Vickers, about four miles from what is now the town of Godley. In 1880, during the pastorate of the Rev. S.E. Brook, the new church . . . — Map (db m84828) HM
Texas (Johnson County), Grandview — 11960 — Grandview Cemetery and Original Grand View Town Site
John Whitmire, the son-in-law of early settler F. L. Kirtley, is credited with naming this town in 1854 by saying, "what a grand view!” Kirtley donated 2.5 acres for a baptist church and cemetery in 1856. Intending to lay out a town plat, . . . — Map (db m146806) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 25, 2020