Noted Texas journalist and editor. Began his career in Austin and Dallas. From 1920 to 1935 was with New York “Herald-Tribune”, where as city editor he trained many writers. Also was on staff of Philadelphia “Ledger”. He . . . — — Map (db m89895) HM
The first permanent settlers came to this area shortly before Lampasas County organized in 1856. Oliver Hazzard Perry Townsen bought 640 acres from Samuel Horrell, Sr. and his wife Elizabeth in 1868. Townsen grew wheat and established a flour mill, . . . — — Map (db m86410) HM
Built on Mill Branch in 1872, Perry and Jasper Townsen's steam mill cut "rawhide" lumber and ground wheat and corn.
Post office established 1881 moved in 1891 to Adamsville store of John Adams and The Rev. McCall Smith. Mr. Smith built, and was . . . — — Map (db m86417) HM
In late 1880, The Rev. McCall Smith and 19 charter members met in the home of L. Jasper and Mary Ann Townsen. They organized the Pleasant Valley Cumberland Presbyterian Church and held services in a schoolhouse or under a brush arbor. In 1903 "the . . . — — Map (db m86415) HM
This branch of Sulphur Creek was named for an event in the Horrell-Higgins Feud. On the morning of March 26, 1877, Tom and Mart Horrell were going to Lampasas to attend district court. En route, they were ambushed by gunmen hiding in the brush near . . . — — Map (db m71626) HM
This cemetery, Lampasas' oldest, was established as a pioneer community graveyard in the mid-1850s. The first marked burial here was that of Rebecca Hughes in 1854. The cemetery is named after Arkansas natives William M. and Cynthia Cook who moved . . . — — Map (db m71561) HM
First white settlers in 1850's found Indians using curative waters here. Town was quickly developed around the springs. Stage and freight routes and many cattle drives came this way. The springs took the name of landowner, John Hancock.
On a . . . — — Map (db m71119) HM
Pioneer settlers began establishing homes near Lampasas Springs and Sulphur Creek in the 1850s. During the middle 19th century, stories of the mineral springs and their curative powers began attracting tourists to Lampasas, which was sometimes . . . — — Map (db m71112) HM
Mineral springs such as nearby Hancock Springs flow into Sulphur Creek, providing Lampasas with waters for recreation and health. The Hancock Springs tract became a fashionable tourist attraction and convention and encampment site in the late 19th . . . — — Map (db m71109) HM
Scattered throughout this area, campsites, flint quarries, and rock paintings testify that primitive tribes lives here for centuries. Tonkawas, Comanches, and Lipan Apaches were the main inhabitants in the early 1800s. Typical of the sites was a . . . — — Map (db m69234) HM
Threshold for settlement of Lampasas, San Saba Counties. Commemorates homestead site of Robert D. McAnelly (1806-1888) who came here in early 1830's; was surveyor of large areas of surrounding land. McAnelly's Bend was named for him in 1858. His . . . — — Map (db m104479) HM
In 1851-52, in a major reorganization of the frontier defense system, the U.S. Army built a line of 7 forts between the Red River and the Rio Grande to protect the scattered remote settlements and travel routes to California. On Nov. 14, 1851, Fort . . . — — Map (db m81874) HM