Joseph Antoine Janis was born in St. Charles, Missouri, in 1824. He made a claim on the Cache la Poudre River in 1844, intending to return later to build a home. In the summer of 1859, Antoine Janis, his Oglala wife First Elk Woman and their . . . — — Map (db m105248) HM
This two-story cabin is a classic example of American frontier log construction. Sixty-three year old Elizabeth "Auntie" Stone and her second husband Lewis arrived in this area in 1864. The Army granted them permission to build a private residence . . . — — Map (db m51972) HM
In 1905, the newly remodeled
Northern Hotel was opened by
a group of local investors. H.L.
Daily found sucess in that
venture, and prosperity led
him to have this stately family
home built in 1906. The house
was . . . — — Map (db m52243) HM
The building that today houses the Fort Collins Museum was constructed in 1903, as a public library. Steel
magnate Andrew Carnegie provided $12,000 in funds for the construction. Opened to the public on August 24,
1904, the Carnegie Library . . . — — Map (db m51350) HM
As a member of the Colorado Agricultural College
faculty between 1883 and 1888, Elwood Mead established
the first instruction in irrigation engineering to be
offered by an American college or university.
This work provided the foundation . . . — — Map (db m52325) HM
This property, part of the original Camp Collins, was purchased by the Mosman family on October 5, 1891. In 1892 prominent architect, Momtezuma Fuller (1858-1925) designed this house, in a distinctive Eastlake Victorian Queen Anne architectural . . . — — Map (db m52324) HM
This is one of the longest operating weather stations in the western U.S. monitoring temperature, humidity, precipitation (rain, hail and snow), evaporation, winds, solar radiation, clouds, visibility, barometric pressure and soil temperatures. . . . — — Map (db m98539) HM
Certificate of Recognition
Let It Be Known to All Persons That
"The William C. Stover House"
at 503 Remington Street
Is Hereby Officially Accepted As A
Local Historic Landmark
June 4, 1996 — — Map (db m103934) HM
Three-quarters of a mile northwest from this point is the original
famous stage station on the overland route to California, 1862 - 1867. Established by Joseph A. (Jack) Slade and named for his wife, Virginia. Located on . . . — — Map (db m89595) HM
What a welcome sight Virginia Dale must have been to nineteenth-century travelers. It was one of the largest stagecoach stations on the Overland Trail, offering hot meals and other conveniences to weary passengers - the equivalent, for its day, of . . . — — Map (db m89639) HM
Built in 1883 on land donated by B.R. Bonnell to serve families southwest of Loveland. Named for the single Hackberry tree growing nearby.
The school was closed in 1920 and was used as a community center until about 1940, then for grain . . . — — Map (db m89282) HM
This Memorial Is the
Property Of The State Of Colorado
Home, trading post and fort of
Mariano Modena, early trapper,
scout and pioneer.
First settlement in the
Big Thompson Valley.
Station on Overland . . . — — Map (db m51194) HM
The "great divide" separates drainage to the Atlantic
from drainage to the Pacific. It traverses America from
Alaska almost to Cape Horn.
Cache La Poudre Creek
drains into the Platte River
which flows to . . . — — Map (db m89106) HM
To drive along Old Fall River Road is to travel back in time. The slower pace of driving on a winding dirt road recalls a time when traveling in a national park was both challenging and enchanting.
From 1920 to 1932, Fall River Road was the . . . — — Map (db m89121) HM
He laid the foundation of the National Park
Service. Defining and establishing the policies
under which its areas shall be developed and
conserved unimpaired for future generations.
There will never come an end to the good that
he . . . — — Map (db m88995) HM