Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Williams County North Dakota Historical Markers

 
A Beaver Boom Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, August 16, 2019
A Beaver Boom Marker
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — A Beaver Boom — Missouri-Yellowstone Confluence Interpretive Center
beaver is in every bend -- William Clark Before the European colonization of North America, the use of animals for food and clothing seemed to have been in balance with the wildlife population. Once native people could trade pelts for . . . — Map (db m143013) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Bourgeois House
The was the most elaborate structure on the upper Missouri River during the peak of the fur trade. Guided by elegant and detailed drawings of the artist Rudolph Frederich Kurz, an 1866 photograph of the house by William Illingworth, and . . . — Map (db m143218) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Buford-Trenton Project — The Power of the Missouri — A U.S. Reclamation Service project contracted 1905-1908 —
Irrigation possibilities in the area were recognized as early as 1902. On November 18th, 1904 the Buford-Trenton Project was authorized by the Secretary of the Interior. Reclamation Service (now the Federal Bureau of Reclamation) specifications . . . — Map (db m143023) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Cemetery
Of the 161 burials in the Fort Buford cemetery, only a handful were directly related to combat. Soldiers as well as military dependents, civilians, Indian scouts employed by the army, and Indians visiting or living near the fort were buried here. . . . — Map (db m143203) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Dwelling Range
Directly in front of you is the site of the Dwelling Range. It was used to house a variety of people – clerks, interpreters, hunters, and employees as well as their Indian wives and children. The original structure was destroyed by fire in . . . — Map (db m143217) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Field Officers' Quarters — Fort Buford State Historic Site
This building was constructed in 1871 as the post commanding officers' quarters. It served in that capacity until 1889, when a new commanding officers' quarters was built near the north side of the post. The single most important event that occurred . . . — Map (db m143159) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Fort Buford Historic Site
Fort Buford a United States Military Post named in honor of General John Buford of Gettysburg fame was established on this location in the fall of 1866. Preceding it on this site were two trading posts. Fort William erected in 1833 and Fort Mortimer . . . — Map (db m96746) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Fort Buford State Historic Site
Fort Buford was named for Major General John Buford, a Union commander at the Battle of Gettysburg. The establishment of Fort Buford in 1866 safeguarded the territory surrounding the confluence of the Missouri and Yellowstone Rivers and served as a . . . — Map (db m143064) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Front Gate
Visitors entering the Fort from the river side had to pass through outer and inner gates separated by an enclosed area with access to the Indian Trade Room. When the outer gate was closed, trading could be carried on through a wicket (or window) . . . — Map (db m143221) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Fur Trade Forts — Protecting the Fur Trade
Fort Williams (1833-1834) Fort Williams was constructed in late 1833 by the firm of Sublette & Campbell and named for one of its founders. William Sublette and Robert Campbell were St. Louis businessmen involved in the Rocky Mountain fur . . . — Map (db m143022) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Gravel Pits
River banks here are underlayed with a stable base of gravel. This was important to the American Fur Company when it selected this site to build Fort Union because its presence stabilized the riverbank from erosion and kept down mud. Gravel is . . . — Map (db m143236) HM
North Dakota (williams County), Williston — Guardhouse and Officer of the Guard Building — Fort Buford State Historic Site
The guardhouse (directly in front of you) and the officer of the guard building (the building to your right) were the heart of the fort's readiness and security functions. The officer of the guard supervised the men on guard duty who manned the . . . — Map (db m143163) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Hospital
Fort Buford had no hospital during the first year of its existence. In the fall of 1867, quarters originally constructed to house the interpreter and mechanic were pressed into service as a hospital. The following summer, the hospital was moved into . . . — Map (db m143202) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Infantry Barracks — Fort Buford State Historic Site
The building you are now facing a reconstruction of a mid-1870s infantry barracks. It has been reconstructed where an original barracks once stood. In 1867, adobe barracks were constructed to house Fort Buford's enlisted men. Adobe, a useful . . . — Map (db m143160) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Lesser Known Forts at the Confluence
Fort Henry Fort Henry was established in 1822 by the fur trading firm of Ashley and Henry. Intended as a supply depot for trapping expeditions up the Yellowstone and Missouri Rivers, it was deemed too far from the mountains and abandoned in . . . — Map (db m143011) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Lewis & Clark's America — Bringing Back The Past
(THEN) In 1804, President Thomas Jefferson sent Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark and their "Corps of Discovery" to explore the American West and record "the dates at which particular plants put forth or lose their flower, of . . . — Map (db m143024) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Lewis and Clark Trail
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark were among the first to recognize the suitability of this site for a trading post. Their expedition (1804-1806) passed through this area on its way to the Pacific Coast. The explorers noted that the riverbank . . . — Map (db m143237) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Missouri-Yellowstone Confluence — Missouri-Yellowstone Confluence Interpretive Center
... this long wished for spot -- Meriwether Lewis For many generations, Native peoples came from all directions for the abundant bison and other game, using only seasonal settlements in order to follow migrating herds. As a result this . . . — Map (db m143014) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Missouri-Yellowstone Confluence Area — Williams County — Lewis & Clark in North Dakota —
Thursday and Friday, April 25 and 26, 1805 Rich wildlife heralded the expedition's arrival at the Yellowstone-Missouri confluence. Impatient, Lewis ascended the south bluff to view the "wide and fertile vallies." He camped Thursday . . . — Map (db m143038) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Mosquitoes — Missouri-Yellowstone Confluence Interpretive Center
Musquetors excessively troublesom - William Clark (who used 19 different spellings for the pests) Buzzzz. Mosquitoes make us reach for the insect repellent, since being bitten by a mosquito can be anything from annoying to deadly. . . . — Map (db m143012) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — North Dakota Masonic Foundation — Ft. Buford Historic Site
(The first chartered Masonic Lodge in North Dakota) Original location of Yellowstone Lodge No. 88 A.F.&A.M. - Est. Jan. 26, 1871 by the officers and soldiers of the 6th and 7th Infantry, and fort civilians through a dispensation from the Grand . . . — Map (db m143068) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Outpost on the Missouri — Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Early explorers reported that America’s western mountains were rich in furs. As a part of a plan to extend trading into the Upper Missouri country, John Jacob Astor’s American Fur Company built Fort Union here, near the junction of the Missouri and . . . — Map (db m62068) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Oxbow Wetland — A Winding Wildlife Protector
In the natural process of carving away sediments from their banks, rivers and streams meander back and forth across the land. Often times, sharp curves in the river form a loop which is gradually shut off rom the flow of water. The area which is . . . — Map (db m143015) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Parade Ground — Fort Buford State Historic Site
At the center of every frontier fort was a parade ground. Fort Buford's parade ground ultimately grew to a rectangular space measuring 800 by 300 feet. At one point in its history, two parade grounds were planned, one for infantry and one for . . . — Map (db m143161) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Plants of the Plains — Missouri-Yellowstone Confluence Interpretive Center
The Countrey in every direction is plains. -- William Clark This area held large herds of bison, elk, and deer, which had grazed on grasses and shrubs for millennia. Chief among the native grasses were big bluestem, buffalo grass, and . . . — Map (db m143204) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Post Trader's Complex — Fort Buford State Historic Site
Post traders supplied forts with items the army would not or could not supply. Post traders could not sell any goods provided through the army's commissary. They sold food such as eggs, milk, cheese, vegetables, tobacco, and cloth. The post . . . — Map (db m143067) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Powder Magazine
This powder magazine was built circa 1875 and housed much of the Fort Buford ammunition supply and other ordinance stores. Fort Buford has two earlier magazines. This 1875 building replaced a partially underground magazine which had stone-lined . . . — Map (db m143162) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — River Interstates
In the nineteenth century, the fastest and easiest means of transport was by water. Riverways linked major United States cities with posts on the frontier. The Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, and their tributaries were highways of commerce to St. . . . — Map (db m143238) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Riverboat Landing
During the historic period, Fort Union's busy deep-water landing was located just below where you are now standing. Riverboats and other vessels tied up here to off-load and on-load passengers and cargo. Over the years, the Missouri River slowly . . . — Map (db m143220) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Stepping "Off the Map" in the Louisiana Territory
The object of you mission is to explore the Missouri river & such principal stream of it, as by its course and communication with the waters of the Pacific ocean, whether the Columbia, Oregon, Colorado, or any other river may offer the most . . . — Map (db m143239) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Store Range
Just in front of you are the stone foundations of the Store Range. This was the principal warehouse and business center at Fort Union. Here, furs and robes were processed for shipment to St. Louis. Meat was stored in the center room. Visitors . . . — Map (db m143219) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Telegraph Office — Fort Buford State Historic Site
The Telegraph Office was a single-story, wood frame building measuring thirty-six by seventeen feet. Extension of the telegraph line from Fort Stevenson (near Garrison, ND) to Fort Buford was completed in October 1878. The arrival of the telegraph . . . — Map (db m143076) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — The Confluence — The Missouri and Yellowstone
Captain Lewis Thursday, April 25, 1805 On the Missouri River, near the entrance of the Yellowstone River "...I ascended the hills from whence I had a most pleasing view of the country, particularly of the wide and fertile . . . — Map (db m143037) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — The Prairie
Overland travelers usually departed from the back gate, which was located just behind where you are now standing. This was the take-off point to the wilderness, trails and gold fields beyond. The vast prairie lay before them. In summer, Indian . . . — Map (db m143206) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Water Ways and Mean — Fort Buford State Historic Site
Sawmill & Water Tower One of the first projects for the soldiers arriving to build Fort Buford in 1866 was to build a sawmill. By June, 1866, the fort's sawmill was in operation providing sawn planks for building material in the construction . . . — Map (db m143205) HM
North Dakota (Williams County), Williston — Yellowstone Lodge #88 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons
Site of Yellowstone Lodge #88 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons at Fort Buford, Dakota Territory under dispensation and charter from the Grand Lodge of Minnesota. The Lodge was active from January 26, 1871 to June 6, 1874 and occupied the first . . . — Map (db m143070) HM

36 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2020