Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Art on Call Historical Markers

This series is intended for the Art on Call historical markers that were installed in approximately 145 call boxes in the District of Columbia by Cultural Tourism DC. Note that not all the markers issued by Cultural Tourism DC qualify for inclusion in the database, and so would not be part of this series.
 
Churches and Cemeteries Marker image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, January 1, 2018
Churches and Cemeteries Marker
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — Churches and Cemeteries — Tenleytown, DC — Country Village to City Neighborhood
One of the oldest churches in Tenleytown is the Eldbrooke United Methodist Church located on River Road. This church was founded in 1840 as the Mount Zion Methodist Church. Some of Tenleytown's earliest inhabitants are buried in The Methodist . . . — Map (db m112176) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — Early Commerce — Tenleytown, DC — Country Village to City Neighborhood
In the 1700s and 1800s Tenleytown's origin as a crossroad generated numerous commercial activities, such as tobacco trade, farms, dairies, and slaughterhouses, along with the "Tennallytown" Tavern. Murdock Mill Road led from Tenleytown to an early . . . — Map (db m112178) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — Early Inhabitants — Tenleytown, DC — Country Village to City Neighborhood
As an early country village, Tenleytown inhabitants held occupations such as farmers, millers, tavern owners and shopkeepers. Since horses provided the primary method of transportation until the early 1900s, blacksmithing was a popular occupation . . . — Map (db m112179) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cathedral Heights — Cathedral Heights Business District
As Washington expanded to the Northwest in the 1920s, modest homes were built on farmland in an area known first as Fairview Heights and then as Cathedral Heights, north of Fulton Street and west of Wisconsin Avenue. A Greek family recognized the . . . — Map (db m120510) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cathedral Heights — The Kengla Farms
Until the 1920s, Cathedral Heights was richer in cows than people. The neighborhood was carved into plots of woodland and farms, including nearly 30 acres owned by Henry Kengla on which the Westchester Cooperative Apartments now stand. The Kengla . . . — Map (db m126975) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cathedral Heights — The Nourse Farm
The Washington National Cathedral, standing majestically on the commanding heights of the city, was not the first religious institution on Mount Alban. Joseph Nourse, a Revolutionary War veteran who moved his family to the site in 1813, dreamed of . . . — Map (db m112153) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 1 — 1. Roma Restaurant
Cleveland Park was named for Grover Cleveland who bought a country house on now Newark Street in 1886. In the 1890s, electrified streetcars ran on Connecticut and Wisconsin Avenues and led to the development of the Cleveland Park "suburb". Shops . . . — Map (db m112449) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 11 — 11. Bungalow
Text on image: M. Belcher 2937 Macomb Street 11. Bungalow In the early 20th century, small apartment buildings and houses were constructed on Macomb, Ordway, Porter, Quebec, and Rodman Streets. Another popular style on these . . . — Map (db m111607) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 12 — 12. Map
12. Map Cleveland Park Historic District Art on Call Locator 1. Roma Restaurant - Mary Belcher 2. Commerce - Eleanor Oliver 3. The Broadmoor - John Simpson 4. Causeway at Tregaron - John Woo 5. Red Top - John Woo 6. Queen . . . — Map (db m112379) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 13 — 13. Mary Day and the Washington Ballet
Front: Mary Day Back: 13. Mary Day and the Washington Ballet Founded by Mary Day and her teacher, Lisa Gardner, in 1944, the Washington School of Ballet has grown from one studio on the first floor of this corner building . . . — Map (db m112378) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 14 — 14. Flower
Front: 14. Flower Cleveland Park's lovely, hidden private gardens periodically open to the public in organized garden tours. These tours are but one of many results of the long history of resident collaboration. In the 1920s, the . . . — Map (db m112376) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 15 — 15. Landscape
Front: 15. Landscape An 1897 study for Washington, D.C. by the renowned landscape architecture firm of Frederick Law Olmstead influenced the layout of many streets in Cleveland Park. Rather than following the standard grid pattern, . . . — Map (db m112374) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 2 — 2. Commerce
Connecticut Avenue's commercial corridor, between Macomb and Ordwary, reflects changes in retail that followed changes in modes of transportation from 1890 streetcar, to automobiles, to the Cleveland Park Metro Station in 1981. Individual stores on . . . — Map (db m67824) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 3 — 3. The Broadmoor
3. The Broadmoor The Broadmoor epitomizes the luxury apartment/hotels built along Connecticut Avenue in the 1920s. Designed in 1927 by prominent architect Joseph H. Abel, the Broadmoor featured a pioneering underground garage, restaurant and bar, . . . — Map (db m111655) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 4 — 4. Causeway at Tregaron
Front: 4. Causeway at Tregaron In 1912, renowned country house architect, Charles Adams Platt designed several buildings on this 20 acre country estate in collaboration with landscape architect Ellen Biddle Shipman. Initially named . . . — Map (db m112392) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 5 — 5. Site of Red Top — President Cleveland's Cottage
Front: 5. Site of Red Top President Cleveland's Cottage Cleveland Park derives it's name from it's most illustrious resident, President Grover Cleveland. In 1886, Cleveland purchased a stone farmhouse on the South side of now . . . — Map (db m112386) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 6 — 6. Queen Anne Style
6. Queen Anne Style This 1898 Queen Anne style house is an outstanding example designed by Robert Thompson Head, the most prolific architect during the first phase of the Cleveland Park neighborhood's development. Between 1897 and 1901, Head . . . — Map (db m112391) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 7 — 7. Early Fire Fighting
7. Early Fire Fighting In 1910, this was the site of a shed hosting a horse drawn chemical fire truck, an important amenity as the first houses in Cleveland Park were constructed mainly of wood, and the new suburb was far from city services. In . . . — Map (db m112388) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 8 — 8. Sherman Cottages
Front: 8. Sherman Cottages Between 1903 and 1912, the second phase of Cleveland Park development featured houses in the Arts and Crafts style. Many of these were Sherman Cottages named for Ella Bennett Sherman, artist and wife of . . . — Map (db m112390) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 9 — 9. Rosedale
Front: 9. Rosedale The grand, 1,000 acre Rosedale Estate which was later subdivided to form Cleveland Park, was purchased by General Uriah Forrest, an aid-de-camp of General George Washington, who built a farmhouse in 1793. Between . . . — Map (db m112382) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Elder Spirit — Everyday People Columbia Heights Art on Call
Youth from the Latin American Youth Center - Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights’ people and places. Collaborating with community artists, youth researched neighborhood history, . . . — Map (db m126148)
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Everyday People — Columbia Heights Art on Call — World in the Park
Everyday People Columbia Heights Art on Call World in the Park Youth from the Latin American Youth Center–Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights' people and places. . . . — Map (db m111852) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Growing Strong — Everyday People Columbia Heights Art on Call
Youth from the Latin American Youth Center - Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights’ people and places. Collaborating with community artists, youth researched neighborhood history, . . . — Map (db m126149)
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Mix of Cultures — Everyday People Columbia Heights Art on Call
Youth from the Latin American Youth Center—Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights' people and places. Collaborating with community artists, youth researched neighborhood history, . . . — Map (db m129069) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — 8 — Mount Pleasant: The Immigrants' Journey
Low cost housing in Mount Pleasant in the decades following World War II made it an ideal place for immigrants to the area. Refugees fleeing World War II and the Cold War in Eastern Europe were the first group to arrive. A small Czech community . . . — Map (db m109231) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Moving between Old and New — Everyday People Columbia Heights Art on Call
Youth from the Latin American Youth Center—Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights' people and places. Collaborating with community artists, youth researched neighborhood history, . . . — Map (db m129027) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Turbulence and Change — The '50s and '60s
On May 17, 1954, the U.S. Supreme Court made its historic decision in Brown vs. Board of Education to end segregation in public schools. One of the lawsuits that made up this decision involved the DC schools, and the following September, . . . — Map (db m109109) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Downtown Washington, 1801
This painting is based on the little-known 1801 watercolor "President House" by J. Benford, part of The White House art collection. Some art historians claim the large building on the right is not the White House, but Blodgett's Hotel, which . . . — Map (db m120236) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Across 23rd St. and Rock Creek — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood
Police Call Boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Officers on foot patrol used this secure telegraph system to contact the station, accessing the box with a now highly collectible . . . — Map (db m112627) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — After the Civil War — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood
Fire Fact, November 28, 1911 DC's first motorized fire engine was placed in service at Engine Company 24. Its engine house was the first to be built without a stable and manure pit. Caption: Fire Department information and images . . . — Map (db m112658) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — 255 — All the Row Houses — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions / One Neighborhood
All the row houses in the 1700 block of Q St. (north and south pictured above) were built in the mid-1880s by one of Washington's most prolific architects/builders, Thomas Franklin Schneider. The prosperity and growth during the 1880s in DC resulted . . . — Map (db m80020) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — 7 — Connecticut Ave. from Lafayette Square to Ashmead Place — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions/One Neighborhood
was just a well-worn trail for many years, after L'Enfant made it a prominent diagonal in his 1792 plan. The route was known as "the road to Holmead's" because of the family-owned cemetery at this very location. The mansion behind you at 1701 20th . . . — Map (db m93418) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — 319 — Development in the neighborhood — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions/One Neighborhood
Development in the neighborhood got its first start in 1871 when the Board of Public Works, under the leadership of Alexander “Boss” Robey Sheperd, installed sewers, paved roads, extended gas pipes and planted trees here . . . — Map (db m113907) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — 326 — Myrtilla Miner — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions/One Neighborhood
Myrtilla Miner (1815-1864), born near Brookfield, NY, was an idealistic white teacher who came to Washington to teach African Americans. In 1853, with funding from northern abolitionists, she paid $4,000 for a three-acre site at 20th and N Sts. . . . — Map (db m89607) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — The building on this corner — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood
Police Call Boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Officers on foot patrol used this secure telegraph system to contact the station, accessing the box with a now highly collectible . . . — Map (db m112628) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — The Dupont Circle area has always been — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood
Fire Fact, Sunday February 7, 1904 Great Baltimore Fire, several DC fire companies answered Baltimore Chief's urgent telegram, "Desperate fire here. Must have help at once." DC, responding by railway flatcar, was accompanied by New York . . . — Map (db m112660) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — The first houses south and west of Dupont Circle — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions/One Neighborhood
The first houses south and west of Dupont Circle were built mostly of brick or brick and sandstone using Queen Anne, Chateauesqe, Richardsonian Romanesque or Georgian Revival styles. The Queen Anne style building at 1400 21st St. has a splendid and . . . — Map (db m89569) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — The mansion at 1801 Massachusetts Ave. — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions/One Neighborhood
The mansion at 1801 Massachusetts Ave. was built in 1900 as a winter residence for the middle-aged Wadsworths, a childless couple from upstate New York. Martha helped design the block-sized mansion. During World War II it was used by the Red Cross. . . . — Map (db m96299) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Theodore Roosevelt — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions/One Neighborhood
Theodore Roosevelt resided in a number of houses in Dupont Circle. Two still standing are 1215 19th St. and 1820 Jefferson St. In 1898, he lived at 1810 N St. (below, since razed). That year he led a volunteer cavalry called the Rough Riders into . . . — Map (db m96038) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — 249 — This section of 15th St. — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions/One Neighborhood
This section of 15th St. and the east-west blocks meeting it were developed mainly from 1874 to 1887 by a group of speculative investors. The house at the corner of 15th and Q Sts. was built earlier, in 1864. St. Augustine's, Washington's . . . — Map (db m112663) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — You are standing at the heart — Dupont Circle
You are standing at the heart of the Dupont Circle Neighborhood, roughly bounded by 16th St., M St., Florida Ave. and Swann St. Early on, as the westernmost circle on L'Enfant's 1792 plan, the large park was called Pacific Circle. Like other . . . — Map (db m96431) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — George Washington
A photo-collage celebrating The George Washington University's Permanent Collection incorporates a selection of outdoor sculpture and paintings. GW has enhanced the pedestrian environment in and around the Foggy Bottom campus. Artists: Lenore . . . — Map (db m111948)
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Ingrid Bergman — Lisner Auditorium — The George Washington University
Lisner Auditorium was built in 1946, boasting the biggest stage south of New York City. On its opening night, October 29, 1946, the famed 29 year-old actress Ingrid Bergman was starring in Joan of Lorraine. When Ms. Bergman found out that . . . — Map (db m111543) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Connecticut Avenue Streetcars — Forest Hills Neighborhood — Art on Call
Forest Hills Neighborhood Art on Call Connecticut Avenue Streetcars Beginning in 1892, streetcars ran from Chevy Chase Circle to downtown Washington, leading to development along Connecticut Avenue. In 1906, twelve houses . . . — Map (db m111656) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Cultural Institutions — Forest Hills Neighborhood Art on Call
Forest Hills Neighborhood Art on Call Cultural Institutions Forest Hills has two major cultural institutions in the neighborhood, the Hillwood Estate Museum & Gardens, and the Levine School of Music. Built in 1926, the . . . — Map (db m114360) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Flora and Fauna of Rock Creek Park — Forest Hills Neighborhood Art on Call
Forest Hills Neighborhood Art on Call Flora and Fauna of Rock Creek Park Artist: Rebecca Osten Art on Call is sponsored by Cultural Tourism DC, the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities, the District . . . — Map (db m114357)
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Forest Hills at Home — Forest Hills Neighborhood Art on Call
Forest Hills at Home — Map (db m114356) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Peirce Mill — Forest Hills Neighborhood Art on Call
Forest Hill Neighborhood Art on Call Peirce Mill In the 1820s, Isaac Peirce built the mill that exists today on land he purchased in 1794. In 1892, Rock Creek Park was established and the Federal Government acquired the . . . — Map (db m114361) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Site of the National Bureau of Standards — Forest Hills Neighborhood Art on Call
Forest Hills Neighborhood Art on Call Site of The National Bureau of Standards In 1901, the National Bureau of Standards began developing a large complex of 89 buildings on 70 acres west of Connecticut Avenue near this . . . — Map (db m114354) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Soapstone Valley — Forest Hills Neighborhood — Art on Call
Forest Hills Neighborhood Art on Call Soapstone Valley Here the Nacotchtank Indians quarried soapstone and carved vessels. Archaeologist William Henry Holmes studied prehistoric workshops in this valley and other parts of . . . — Map (db m111605) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — A Georgetown "Cathedral"
Almost a miniature Gothic cathedral, Christ Church behind you was built in 1885. It is the third building to occupy the spot since a group of Georgetown Episcopalians founded the parish in 1817. Among the founders were Francis Scott Key, author . . . — Map (db m113421) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — America's Oldest Catholic University
Georgetown University, founded in 1789 by the REverend John Carroll as a school for students of "Every Religious Profession," is the oldest Catholic university in America, administered by the Jesuits since 1805. According to the 1831 University . . . — Map (db m121208) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Early African American Georgetown
Georgetown's first African Americans were brought as slaves to labor for the tobacco industry and for domestic service in the houses of wealthy tobacco merchants. Others came as freed men and women before and after the Civil War. Over time, in . . . — Map (db m113639) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Georgetown's First Market
The citizens of Georgetown were already raising money for good causes two centuries ago. In 1796 the Mayor of Georgetown, Daniel Reintzel, was authorized to demolish a frame market house that stood on this site and erect a new brick market . . . — Map (db m113410) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Healing in War and Peace
Georgetown University Hospital, set atop a row of hills along Reservoir Road, promotes good health through patient care, research and education. Founded in 1898 and shaped by Georgetown's Catholic Jesuit heritage, the hospital consistently has . . . — Map (db m113906) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Herring Hill
Herring Hill You are standing in the heart of a once thriving African American community. At the time of the American Revolution in 1776, one third of Georgetown's population was African American. By the time of the Civil War in the 1860s, . . . — Map (db m110018) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Historic Preservation in Georgetown
Georgetown citizens have been central to preserving Georgetown's important historic houses. Three of these houses, built at the turn of the 19th century on large plots of land overlooking the port, are now accessible to the public and are . . . — Map (db m113643) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — History Preserved and Adapted
Georgetown began in the 1740s as a tobacco port, where ships departed for Britain, Europe and the West Indies filled with flour, lumber, coal, grain and, above all, tobacco. The fine harbor brought visitors and goods and, with them, prosperity and . . . — Map (db m113415) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Houses With A Prospect
The early mansions of wealthy ship owners, merchants and land speculators in this part of Georgetown were built high above the Potomac River with fine views, or prospects, of the harbor filled with ships and the wilds of Virginia on the other . . . — Map (db m113401) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Simplicity, Gentleness, Humility
Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School, straight ahead in the next block, is one of the oldest Catholic institutions in America. It was founded in 1799 by three pious ladies under the spiritual guidance of the president of Georgetown College, . . . — Map (db m112132) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — St. John's: 200 Years of History
St. John's: 200 Years of History Step across the cobblestone street and trolley tracks of a bygone era and look up at the faηade of St. John's Church, Georgetown Parish, designed in the Federal style by William Thornton, architect of the . . . — Map (db m112133) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Stately Houses and Gardens
Hidden behind the grand houses of N Street — and many others large and small — are tranquil walled gardens with brick terraces, old shade trees, lily ponds, swimming pools, and a tennis court or two. Behind you stands the Edes . . . — Map (db m113641) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Temple of Learning and Talent
Temple of Learning and Talent The imposing classic revival building on the hill is the Duke Ellington School of the Arts, formerly Western High School. It was completed in 1898 as a "temple of learning" and was among the first public senior . . . — Map (db m112146) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Volunteerism and Valor
Before there was a DC Fire Department, companies from two then-separate towns — Georgetown and Washington — provided local fire protection. In 1789, Georgetown citizens purchased a hand-pumped engine and fire buckets with funds . . . — Map (db m113420) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Washington Before Washington
Front: In 1608 Captain John Smith sailed up the Potomac, the first European to lay eyes on this site. At that time, ships could sail up to this point, and beautiful bluffs led down to the water. Algonquin Indians lived here in great . . . — Map (db m110015) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Glover Park — "Mapping Art On Call"
Glover Park Art on Call •Landmarks •Parks •Historical Landmarks Reverse: Police and fire call boxes were installed throughout Washington, D.C. neighborhoods to provide emergency communication links between . . . — Map (db m113384) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Massachusetts Heights — Washington National Cathedral
Pierre L'Enfant's plan for the Federal City in 1791 included a church, “for national purposes,” but it was not until 1893 that the Protestant Episcopal Cathedral Foundation was given a charter to establish a cathedral. Located on Mount . . . — Map (db m87907) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), McClean Gardens — The Woodley Inn
In the late nineteenth century, a rural retreat called the Woodley Inn rose near what became Massachusetts Avenue and 38th Street. Before the advent of air conditioning, wealthy families summered on the heights overlooking the city to escape the . . . — Map (db m112151) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), McLean Gardens — Transportation Hub — Tenleytown, DC — Country Village to City Neighborhood
Since the 1700s, Tenleytown has served as a transportation hub, a role that is undiminished today. Tenleytown was strategically located at an early crossroad for travel and trade to Maryland and Virginia. Wisconsin Avenue follows a natural . . . — Map (db m112174) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 6 — At Home and Abroad — The War Years 1941-45
6 At Home and Abroad: The War Years 1941-45 Even before the United States entered World War II in 1941, thousands of workers from across the country streamed into Washington to fill new military and government jobs. The swelling . . . — Map (db m111891) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 3 — Casualties Arriving at Mount Pleasant General Hospital, May 1864
In May 1864, a year before the Civil War ended, Union and Rebel troops clashed in a series of bloody battles in Virginia. Steamships loaded with the wounded traveled up the Potomac River to Washington where stretchers piled ashore for days and . . . — Map (db m111885) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 2 — Harvest at Pleasant Plains, ca. 1750
2 Harvest at Pleasant Plains, ca. 1750 By the late 17th century, English colonial settlements and tobacco plantations had reached what is now Washington, DC. By the 1750s the ports of Alexandria and Georgetown were built, and soon . . . — Map (db m112586) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 9 — Mount Pleasant Street, ca. 2004
9 Mount Pleasant Street, ca. 2004 During the second half of the 20th century, housing in Mount Pleasant was relatively affordable. Recent immigrants, students, young professionals, and families from diverse economic backgrounds . . . — Map (db m111894) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 1 — Nacotchtank Family at the Piney Branch Quarry, ca. 1600
1 Nacotchtank Family at the Piney Branch Quarry, ca. 1600 In 1609 Captain John Smith sailed from the English colony of Jamestown, Virginia, and up the Potomac River as far as Little Falls. He found 13 Indian villages along the . . . — Map (db m114531) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 5 — The Trolley Arrives in Mount Pleasant
5 The Trolley Arrives in Mount Pleasant Until 1900 Mount Pleasant was still a small village of wood-frame houses about a mile outside the City of Washington. In 1903 the city extended and broadened 16th Street, separating what . . . — Map (db m114769) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), North Cleveland Park — Early Homes — Tenleytown, DC — Country Village to City Neighborhood
Early Tenleytown homes still standing today were built mostly in the 1890s along paths used by farmers and dairymen. The homes in the Grand Road Historic District (pictured here) are typical of these early dwellings, as are the homes along Belt . . . — Map (db m112188) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), North Cleveland Park — Firehouse — Tenleytown, DC — Country Village to City Neighborhood
The Tenleytown Firehouse (pictured here) dates to 1903. Its location on Wisconsin Avenue near Tenley Circle provides access and coverage to the greater Tenleytown area. Prior to the introduction of motor driven fire vehicles in the 1920s, the . . . — Map (db m111344) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), North Cleveland Park — The Rest — Tenleytown, DC — Country Village to City Neighborhood
Designated a D.C. Landmark in 1960, the Rest (pictured here) is Tenleytown's oldest residence (built around 1800) and is located at the corner of Windom Place and 39th Street. Local legend maintains that the bricks for the house were brought over . . . — Map (db m112187) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — The Inaugural Parade Tradition
This montage showing four presidential inaugural parades along 15th St., NW is based on artist Earl Minderman's 1980 visioning of President thomas Jefferson's inaugural parade as well as historic photos of the inauguration of Presidents Garfield, . . . — Map (db m91808) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — 8 — You are in the "Strivers' Section" — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood
Police Call Boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Officers on foot patrol used this secure telegraph system to contact the station, accessing the box with a now highly collectible . . . — Map (db m129486) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — Architects and Architecture — Sheridan Kalorama — Call Box Restoration Project
Sheridan-Kalorama's grand mansions, in a variety of architectural styles, are the work of many prominent architects. In 1910 Jules Henri de Sibour designed the stately mansion at 2221 Kalorama Rd. for a mining magnate. It is now the home of the . . . — Map (db m112607) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — Chief Justices — Sheridan Kalorama — Call Box Restoration Project
Three chief justices of the Supreme Court lived in Sheridan-Kalorama. William Howard Taft, appointed Chief Justice after his presidency, lived at 2215 Wyoming Ave. Charles Evans Hughes, a U.S. Secretary of State and an unsuccessful candidate for . . . — Map (db m112605) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — Diplomacy — Sheridan Kalorama — Call Box Restoration Project
Diplomacy Surrounding you are some of the 75 embassies, chanceries and diplomatic residences that lend a vibrant international presence to Sheridan-Kalorama. The practice of diplomacy — the conduct of relations among nations that . . . — Map (db m113371) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — Educational Institutions — Sheridan Kalorama — Call Box Restoration Project
Educational institutions are part of Sheridan-Kalorama's history. Across the street is Our Lady Queen of the Americas Catholic Church. Built in 1904, it housed St. Rose's Industrial School, where orphaned girls were taught home economics. Later St. . . . — Map (db m112608) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — George Washington — Sheridan Kalorama — Call Box Restoration Project
Here is an elegant George Washington trotting on his handsome horse. Our first president never lived in the city that bears his name, but in the late 1700s you might have glimpsed Washington riding along the Post Road, a highway that connected . . . — Map (db m112624) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — 1 & 2 — History of Sheridan-Kalorama — Sheridan Kalorama — Call Box Restoration Project
The area known as Sheridan-Kalorama was patented to John Langsworth by King Charles II in 1668. It was later sold to Anthony Holmead who in turn willed it to his nephew. in 1791, as L'Enfant laid out his plans for the boundaries of the new federal . . . — Map (db m112621) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — Joel Barlow — Sheridan Kalorama — Call Box Restoration Project
Joel Barlow Reverse: Joel Barlow (1754-1812) served in the American Revolution and was a businessman, diplomat and published poet. In 1796-97 he negotiated the release of Americans held for years by the Turkish regent of Algiers. . . . — Map (db m129820) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — Kalorama — Sheridan Kalorama — Call Box Restoration Project
Charles Codman's painting depicts Kalorama, the 19th century estate of Joel Barlow. Kalorama (Greek for beautiful view) was extolled by Thomas Jefferson as "a most lovely seat adjoining the city, on a high hill commanding the Potomac River." . . . — Map (db m112615) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — Little Friar — Sheridan Kalorama — Call Box Restoration Project
Paz, paix, shalom, esaalam, are words from several foreign languages spoken in Sheridan-Kalorama, each meaning peace. This representation of a benevolent friar welcomes you in peace. We share, too, works of "America's poet" Walt Whitman, who spent . . . — Map (db m112601) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — The Gilded Age — Sheridan Kalorama Call Box Restoration Project
In the Gilded Age (1866-1901) the nouveau riche built grand mansions near Sheridan Circle and commissioned fashionable portraits such as this one of Mrs. Larz Anderson. They lived and entertained in these enormous residences during Washington's . . . — Map (db m63723) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — The Lindens — Sheridan Kalorama — Call Box Restoration Project
At 2401 Kalorama Road stands an elegant Georgian frame house, The Lindens. This is Washington's oldest house, yet it is not "of" the District. Built in 1754, in Danvers, Massachusetts, by Robert "King" Hooper a wealthy merchant, The Lindens once . . . — Map (db m112603) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — The Presidents — Sheridan Kalorama — Call Box Restoration Project
Five presidents lived in Sheridan-Kalorama between 1916 and 1930. Warren G. Harding lived at 2314 Wyoming Avenue while a senator from Ohio. William Howard Taft lived across the street at 2215 Wyoming Avenue while Chief Justice of the Supreme Court . . . — Map (db m112606) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — Women of Influence — Sheridan Kalorama — Call Box Restoration Project
Sheridan-Kalorama has been home to many influential women. While she lobbied our political leaders to support Nationalist China, Madame Chiang Kai-Shek lived nearby at 2443 Kalorama Rd. Others include presidential wives Eleanor Roosevelt, a wise . . . — Map (db m112604) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Can you identify these famous Civil Rights leaders? — All four lived in this Southwest DC neighborhood!
Can You identify these famous Civil Rights leaders? All four lived in this Southwest DC neighborhood! Reverse: Who are these famous Civil Rights leaders? Barbara Jordan (upper left)(some text missing due to . . . — Map (db m129102) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Dr. Dorothy Height
Front Dr. Dorothy Height worked to advance women's, civil, and human rights with many of our nation's leaders. How many can you recognize? Back Dr. Dorothy Height Has lived at 700 7th Street, SW since 1983. As . . . — Map (db m112797) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Tenleytown — Fort Reno — Tenleytown, D.C. — Country Village to City Neighborhood
At an elevation of 410 feet, Fort Reno is located at the highest point in DC. The fort, originally named Fort Pennsylvania, was well situated to provide defense of the Nation's Capital during the Civil War as one of the Circle of Forts (pictured . . . — Map (db m20628) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Tenleytown — Reservoir/Reno City — Tenleytown, DC — Country Village to City Neighborhood
Fort Reno is located at the highest elevation in D.C. A city water reservoir was constructed in the 1890s to serve the city's growing population. The red brick water tower (pictured here) was built in 1903 to provide water pressure to the . . . — Map (db m112184) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Trinidad — A City in One Day — Artist: Anna Katerina Sagel, — 2009
The repairs and restoration of this call box and five others were made possible in 2009 by Trinidad Neighborhood Association. Fabrication and installation: Gelberg Signs. Art on Call is sponsored by Cultural Tourism DC, the DC Commission on the . . . — Map (db m113007) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Trinidad — The City Woman — Artist: Felix Osuchukwu — 2009
The repairs and restoration of this call box and five others were made possible in 2009 by Trinidad Neighborhood Association. Fabrication and installation: Gelberg Signs. Art on Call is sponsored by Cultural Tourism DC, the DC Commission on the . . . — Map (db m113004) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Trinidad — Untitled — Artist: Mikhail Hardy — 2009
The repairs and restoration of this call box and five others were made possible in 2009 by Trinidad Neighborhood Association. Fabrication and installation: Gelberg Signs. Art on Call is sponsored by Cultural Tourism DC, the DC Commission on the . . . — Map (db m115196) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), U Street Corridor — 253 — This is part of the Shaw neighborhood — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood
Police Call Boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Officers on foot patrol used this secure telegraph system to contact the station, accessing the box with a now highly collectible . . . — Map (db m112665) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Wakefield — Schools — Tenleytown, DC — Country Village to City Neighborhood
Tenleytown's earliest elementary school, located where Saint Anne's School is today, first welcomed students in 1882. The Jesse Reno School for African-American children was built in 1903 on the grounds of Fort Reno. The Immaculata Preparatory . . . — Map (db m112531) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), West End — During the years following the Civil War — Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood
Fire Fact, June 25, 1925 The era of horse-drawn fire apparatus ends with a ceremonial "final run" with Barney, Gene and Tom pulling a 1905 Steam Pumper belonging to Engine Company 19. Fire Department information and images courtesy . . . — Map (db m112631) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodley Park — A Long and Winding Road
The first map of Woodley Park, called Kervand's Woodley and dated 1875, shows Woodley Lane (now called Woodley Road) as the only road through the area and the heart of the new subdivision. As recently as 1887, Woodley Lane was described as "a . . . — Map (db m112395) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodley Park — From Woodley to Woodley Park
The first development called “Woodley” named after the Woodley estate (now home to the Maret School), was owned by Mrs. A. E. Kervand and was first recorded as a subdivision in 1875. Winding Woodley Lane was its main street. By 1878 lots . . . — Map (db m112394) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodley Park — Harry Wardman
The name Harry Wardman (1872 - 1938) is practically synonymous with Woodley Park, having built numerous houses and apartments in the neighborhood. Wardman built his own home on the corner of Connecticut Avenue and Woodley Road in 1909. He later . . . — Map (db m87503) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodley Park — Long & Winding Woodley Road
The first map of Woodley Park, called Kervand's Woodley, and dated 1875, shows Woodley Lane (now called Woodley Road) as the only road through the area and the heart of the new subdivision. As recently as 1887, Woodley lane was described as “a . . . — Map (db m87536) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodley Park — Mihran Mesrobian
Woodley Park’s most prolific architect, Mihran Mesrobian (1889-1975) started his career as a palace architect in Constantinople during the twilight of the Turkish sultans. The Turkish-born Beaux-Arts trained Armenian worked on the restoration of . . . — Map (db m87506) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodley Park — Million Dollar Bridge
Developers first plotted the residential neighborhood of Woodley Park in 1875, attached to this high land overlooking Rock Creek, where Philip Barton Key had built an estate that he named Woodley. (You can see the Woodley mansion on the campus of . . . — Map (db m87471) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodley Park — Redwood
The Woodley Park neighborhood that is now home to several thousand residents as well as the National Zoo was once sparsely settled countryside. The farmhouse shown here, known as Redwood, was built around 1819 on a hill that rose 40 feet above . . . — Map (db m67828) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodley Park — Woodley Estate
The neighborhood of Woodley Park owes its name to the Woodley estate of Philip Barto Key (1767-1815). Key, uncle of Francis Scott Key, who wrote “Star Spangled Banner”, was an officer on the British side during the Revolutionary War. He . . . — Map (db m87469) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Woodley Park — Woodley Road Neighbors
An Irish priest and the Duchess of Windsor each separately played a part in Woodley Park's history. In 1912 Father Thomas A. Walsh bought the present site of St. Thomas Apostle Church and Rectory on Woodley Road for $16,750. It was here that he . . . — Map (db m87535) HM

112 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.