Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Polk County Texas Historical Markers

 
Midway Cemetery Entrance, Cemetery & Marker image, Touch for more information
By Jim Evans, May 18, 2009
Midway Cemetery Entrance, Cemetery & Marker
Texas (Polk County), Chester — 10412 — Midway Cemetery
Andrew A. (1816-1898) and Mary Barnes (1817-1857) McKee came to Texas in 1845 and purchased land here in 1854. Mary, who died in childbirth, was the first person buried here. According to local tradition, just prior to her death Mary marked this . . . — Map (db m55841) HM
Texas (Polk County), Chester — 10431 — Whitehead Home
Built 1856 for John S. whitehead, a teacher; in his family ever since. Of native, hand-hewn pine construction. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1967Map (db m100437) HM
Texas (Polk County), Corrigan — 10389 — Town of Corrigan
Located in piney woods of east Texas. Founded about 1860 by landowner and settler James B. Hendry, who donated property for original townsite. When the Texas & New Orleans Railroad was built through area in the early 1880s, a prosperous . . . — Map (db m35440) HM
Texas (Polk County), Goodrich — 17001 — Goodrich School
Goodrich is one of the few existing area schools known to be created through the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). Construction of the Jeffersonian style building began May 2, 1934 under architect Emory S. White when county commissioner . . . — Map (db m117553) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10420 — "Polk County Enterprise"
Founded in 1882 as "East Texas Pinery" by J.M. and J.C. Stockton. Changed name to "Polk County Enterprise" about 1903. when the office installed first linotype machine (1920), school was dismissed so pupils could watch it operate. Ben Ogletree . . . — Map (db m100496) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 1905 Courthouse Annex
Washington at Church Street Built in 1905 Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m59689) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10401 — Birthplace of Margo Jones(1911-1955)
World-famed genius of drama. Won Broadway acclaim directing “The Glass Menagerie”. Led move to decentralize American theatre. Established, in Dallas, theatre-in-the-round (first professional, resident, repertory theatre of its kind) and . . . — Map (db m71015) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10400 — Early Indian Trails
From 1830 to 1840 five Indian trails (some several centuries old) crossed Polk County. the Coushatta and Alabama tribes started two trails and also traveled Long King's, Kickapoo, and Battise traces. These routes helped settlers map roads; modern . . . — Map (db m100499) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10391 — Early Roads in Polk County
Travel was of great importance in Polk County's early days. Civilized Indians—particularly Creeks, Alabamas, Coushattas and Kickapoos—were numerous and had many trails for intercommunication. Long King's Trace (named for a chief) led . . . — Map (db m100493) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 16215 — Forest Hill Cemetery
By 1905, all the lots in Livingston's Old City Cemetery had been filled, and community leaders began looking for a new cemetery site. Residents established Forest Hill Cemetery Association in 1906 and bought land from James and Arabella Henington on . . . — Map (db m114610) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 13280 — Greenfield Cemetery
In 1846, local officials designated a block in the central part of Livingston for use as a cemetery for local African Americans. Originally called Livingston Colored Cemetery, the burial ground was bounded by Feagin, Tyler, Sherman and Houston . . . — Map (db m49731) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — Indian Village
The Alabama and Coushatta Indians settled near here in the early 1780’s. Through the efforts of General Sam Houston, Texas gave them 1210 acres in 1854. The Federal Government purchased 3071 acres in 1928. — Map (db m100327) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10407 — Locomotive No. 5
Built in 1911 by Philadelphia's Baldwin Locomotive Works, this locomotive was first used to transport timber in Florida. In the 1920's it was purchased for use in Texas' logging industry by the Angelina County-based Carter-Kelley Lumber Company. The . . . — Map (db m49730) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 12558 — Old City Cemetery(Old Livingston Cemetery)
This historic graveyard began in 1840 with the burial of four-year-old Josephus Choate, son of Moses Livingston Choate (1794-1867) and Ursula Choate (1807-c. 1880). Early pioneers from Kentucky, the Choates moved to Texas and received a league of . . . — Map (db m55829) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 16074 — Polk County
Created from Liberty County March 30, 1846 Organized July 13, 1846 with Livingston as county seat Named for James Knox Polk, 1795-1849 President of the United States Who favored the annexation of Texas Early settlements were . . . — Map (db m119269) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 12712 — Polk County Courthouse
Completed in 1924, this is the fifth courthouse to serve Polk County. Citing "lack of space and modern conveniences," the Commissioners Court hired the Houston architectural firm of McLelland & Fink to design their new building. Contractor Isaac . . . — Map (db m119270) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10419 — Polk County, C.S.A.
During Civil War, 1861-65, an area of piney woods, farms, thickets, with an Alabama-Coushatta Indian reservation. Had only 600 voters in 1860 but sent 900 soldiers into the Confederate Army. Furnished 4 units to Hood's Texas Brigade (Co. B, 1st . . . — Map (db m119271) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10382 — Site of Old Andress Inn
Center civic, social and business affairs, early Polk County. Built about 1848 by James Andress, from South Carolina. Contained restaurant, saloon, grocery store, post office, stage station. Had livery stable nearby. Among noted guests was General . . . — Map (db m71027) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10426 — Site of the Town of Swartwout
86 blocks and 2 public squares were laid out here in 1838 with James Morgan, Arthur Garner and Thomas Bradley as proprietors. Named in honor of Samuel Swartwout (1783-1856), New York speculator and politician who advanced funds in 1836 to the Texas . . . — Map (db m119265) HM
Texas (Polk County), Moscow — 10409 — E.C. Matthews Home
Built by "Daddy Poe," in 1856. Has columns made of hollowed pine trees; swinging upstairs porch. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966 — Map (db m35896) HM
Texas (Polk County), Moscow — 10414 — First Baptist Church
Built 1849 by members. Square nails; hand-sawn lumber. Pegs join sills, floors, framing. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 — Map (db m35530) HM
Texas (Polk County), Moscow — 10395 — John Wesley Hardin (1853-1895)Near Boyhood Home of
Notorious outlaw who killed over 30 men. Son of a Methodist minister. "Wes" was an ardent southerner. His resistance to Union occupation troops made him a hero and set him on his lawless career. He always claimed he shot only in self defense. He was . . . — Map (db m35494) HM
Texas (Polk County), Moscow — 10413 — Moscow
Settled by David Green, during era of the Republic of Texas. First post office established under name of Green's in 1847. Changed to Moscow in 1853. Incorporated in 1856. Was stage stop on the Nacogdoches - Liberty Road. Site of several famous . . . — Map (db m35895) HM
Texas (Polk County), Moscow — 13953 — Moscow Male and Female Academy
On this site stood the Moscow and Female Academy. Operated after 1857 under Masonic auspices as the Moscow Masonic Academy until merged in the public school system. — Map (db m35897) HM
Texas (Polk County), Moscow — 10397 — Texas Statesman William Pettus Hobby(1878-1964)
Businessman and politician William Pettus Hobby was born near this Moscow site, the son of Eudora Adeline (Pettus)and Edwin E. Hobby, a state senator and judge. At age 17, William joined the staff of the Houston Post and rose to managing editor at . . . — Map (db m35316) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.