Center of the settlement established by German-Hunsruck pioneers, the Christ Evangelical Church was founded in 1842. This limestone edifice, replacing a log church, was completed in 1862 on land donated by Phillip Dhein. — — Map (db m30148) HM
Established in 1842, by the Philip Dhein family, Dheinsville is Germantown’s oldest crossroads settlement. The village contains original half-timber buildings (fachwerk), reflecting the building-construction patterns of the early pioneers who came . . . — — Map (db m31218) HM
Established in 1896 under the ownership of John P. Gehl, Gehl’s Guernsey Farms became a significant center of commerce along the Fond du Lac Indian Trail in South Germantown. The original plant, located at the corner of Western Avenue and Main . . . — — Map (db m123856) HM
This limestone, Greek Revival dwelling was built by Jacob and Mary Ann Schunk in 1858. The clapboard and stone section was added in 1870. Of special interest are two sets of quarter-circle windows at the attic level. The history of the Schunk . . . — — Map (db m38869) HM
Founded on 1843 by German settlers from Hessen-Darmstadt and the Bavarian Palatinate, joined later by emigrants from Pomerania and Wurttemberg. Designed by architects Myrath and Koch for $30. 3 acre site purchased from Adam and Maria Stein for $150. . . . — — Map (db m31494) HM
The Kissel Motor Car Company was located across the river from this site. Kissel manufactured vehicles here for 25 years, from 1906 until 1931. Passenger cars, trucks, ambulances, funeral cars, taxicabs, and fire trucks were among the varied types. . . . — — Map (db m30684) HM
Lohr’s Gas Station was built in 1928 by Lawrence Lohr on the front lawn of his residence at 158 Branch Street. It was operational as a gas station when $1.00 could purchase 5-8 gallons of gas.
The historic feature of this building is the . . . — — Map (db m67908) HM
Built in 1915 and designed by Milwaukee architect Ernst Peege, this home is a lovely example of the American Craftsman style. Prominent characteristics of the style exemplified by the Schwartz Family House include walls of stucco and wood . . . — — Map (db m119968) HM
The congregation of St. Lawrence was organized in 1846 and is one of the oldest Roman Catholic parishes in Washington County. The first log church, located at the southwest corner of the cemetery, was blessed by Bishop Henni in October, 1846. This . . . — — Map (db m37808) HM
Side A The Schwartz Ballroom opened to the music of Harold Austin and his New Yorkers on October 20, 1928. As part of the big band craze of the Roaring 20s, dance hall construction boomed while recording and radio broadcasting spread new . . . — — Map (db m30687) HM
This stately mansion was built be August and Mary (Schott) Westphal in 1913, on a triangular lot overlooking downtown historic Hartford. The home of brick and stucco is English Tudor style. The interior is finished with golden oak and birch . . . — — Map (db m67910) HM
In 1883, Willard R. Amidon built this Queen Anne style home for his wife Laura. This home served as the family residence until Laura’s death in 1944. The house has the original fieldstone foundation and retains many original features. Many . . . — — Map (db m67909) HM
This home was built on the original homestead of 40-acres in Section 20, Town of Jackson, Washington County, Wisconsin. The land was purchased from the United States government on April 11, 1846, by Jacob Moersfelder, who later deeded the parcel to . . . — — Map (db m72904) HM
This historic site was a center of religious activity for German Lutherans who, fleeing religious persecution and economic privation, came to Kirchhayn in 1843 from the Kingdom of Prussia. In 1847 they formed the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of . . . — — Map (db m38678) HM
The Backhaus Family emigrated from Prussia to America in 1850 and purchased this 135-acre farm, parcel by parcel, from 1853-1864. They lived in an unfinished log cabin that has long since been replaced by this Victorian, 3-story cream city brick . . . — — Map (db m48259) HM
This 1904 Queen Anne Victorian home was originally owned by N. Edward Hausmann, M.D., son of William Hausmann, M.D. It is built in a four-square design and features a large rounded turret on the Northwest corner of the home. The third level was . . . — — Map (db m72920) HM
This Queen Anne Victorian home, with a gabled roof and large wrap around porch, was built in 1894 by Louis Brandt, local carpenter/contractor, and was originally owned by William Hausman, M.D. The porch has lattice work design with spindle banister . . . — — Map (db m72919) HM
The Messer/Mayer Mill is a three and one-half story, front-gabled grist mill on a raised fieldstone foundation and sheathed with narrow clapboard siding. The interior contains the original milling equipment dating from 1873 to the early 20th . . . — — Map (db m38867) HM
This 1885 stone and log structure, built by the Dhein family, has 24-inch wide fieldstone walls and hand-hewn beams. The Livery serviced farmers and travelers with horses, wagons, and tack.
The centennial barn, featuring the Gold Medal Flour . . . — — Map (db m53325) HM
The Cedar Lake Yacht Club was founded in 1899 and is situated on Big Cedar Lake, the largest lake in Washington County. Although there have been many renovations and additions, the original field stone structure still stands.
The Cedar Lake . . . — — Map (db m48256) HM
This property was acquired January 4, 1864, by Mathias and Margaret Timmer. In 1882, Timmer’s Hotel was opened. Guests came by train from Chicago, St. Louis, and Milwaukee to Slinger (Schlesingerville) and then by carriage to the Hotel. Later they . . . — — Map (db m48255) HM
The first entry in County Records indicates 160 acres of land, located in the NE 1/4 of Section 17, Town 10 North, Range 14 East, was purchased by Lorentz Guthe and his wife, Elizabeth, on July 7, 1846, for $200, Receipt #23242. Johann Wendel . . . — — Map (db m53738) HM
After purchasing the bridge from the Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Works for $796, it was constructed by local men in 1896. The bridge was the main access to Allenton from the west until a larger concrete bridge was built by the State in 1920. Local . . . — — Map (db m53737) HM
Holy Hill stands 1340 feet above sea level and 250 feet above the surrounding country-side. It has been a place of inspiration and worship for many years. In 1857 Roman Goetz and Mathias Werner erected a 15 foot white oak cross on its summit. A log . . . — — Map (db m37238) HM
Yankee settlers organized the Free Will Baptist Society of Boltonville on February 22, 1872, and built this church which was dedicated June 3, 1873, at a cost of $2,103.80. In the 1880s, the building was home for a Sunday school for as many as 80 . . . — — Map (db m53324) HM
Harlow Bolton formed a partnership with Asa Varney and William H. Willis in 1853 to build the mill, along with a mill pond. The mill, known for many years as the Reliance Roller Mills, was the first business in Boltonville, built in 1854.
Wheat . . . — — Map (db m48257) HM
The Saxonia House, a 72-foot by 32-foot rare example of German fachwerkbau (half-timber construction) architecture, is one of the largest buildings of its kind in Wisconsin. In November 1855 the new structure was christened as a brewery, a residence . . . — — Map (db m48260) HM
St. Peter's Catholic Church was established in 1846. The first structure was a log church built in 1855. The present structure was built in 1861. The church is an outstanding example of fieldstone construction featuring an unusual half-octagonal . . . — — Map (db m48261) HM
The fieldstone and timber Schubert Cheese Factory was built in 1901 with two-foot thick walls. The majority of the structure was built into the hill to serve as a cooling cellar for aging cheese. The front of the building was used for processing of . . . — — Map (db m53739) HM
This Square, known as The Park, was given to Washington County in 1853 as a site for county buildings for the use and benefit of the county forever. Donors were William Wightman, Byron Kilbourn, James Kneeland, E.B. Wolcott, and their wives. This . . . — — Map (db m35205) HM
The winding ridge of sand and gravel 900 feet to the south-east is the westerly end of an esker. It was formed over 10,000 years ago by a glacial stream leaving deposits as it flowed in a tunnel beneath the ice. (For a better view drive one half . . . — — Map (db m38677) HM
The first strictly rural electric power line in the United States was built in 1919 by West Bend Heating and Lighting Company, which was founded in 1907 by Adam Kuehlthau. It was 24 miles long and served 57 farmers in the townships of West Bend, . . . — — Map (db m77250) HM
You are now on the great divide which separates the two principal drainage areas of Wisconsin. Water falling to the west of this ridge runs down the Rock River into the “Father of Waters” and after 1,400 miles reaches the Gulf of Mexico. . . . — — Map (db m30685) HM
James Kneeland, one of the founders of West Bend, purchased this plot of land in the early 1840s. This 2 ½ story side gabled cream city brick building was erected in 1858 and is one of the oldest buildings in West Bend.
In 1860, the . . . — — Map (db m70013) HM
This park, named for its most outstanding mound, contains thirty-one fine examples of effigy mounds. Effigy mounds are low earthworks usually built in the shapes of birds or animals. Though used for burial purposes, a mound seldom contains more than . . . — — Map (db m114906) HM
Lizard Mound Park is one of the best preserved and most diverse prehistoric effigy mound archeological sites in the state. It contains numerous mounds (A.D. 650-1300) in conical, linear, bird, panther, and lizard shapes. Originally known as the . . . — — Map (db m30121) HM
Built in 1847 by Densmore W. Maxon, a Yankee surveyor and member of the first Wisconsin State Legislature, who constructed a dam and sawmill and platted Cedar Creek. The east wing housed the first village post office. The Greek Revival style house . . . — — Map (db m77006) HM
In West Bend’s early days, this plot was a community gathering place. For over 90 years, the Triangle and the building which stood there were at the center of business, social and political life, and served as a meeting place for the old settlers. . . . — — Map (db m35208) HM
Stephen F. Mayer (1854-1935) was a prominent resident of West Bend, held numerous elected offices and leadership positions at various levels of government and local businesses, and established several businesses and organizations that still exist . . . — — Map (db m70015) HM
Wisconsin's aluminum cookware industry boomed in the 20th century. Production grew exponentially from under 5 percent of the nation’s aluminum cookware in 1910 to over 50 percent in 1920. Local financier Bernhard C. Zieglar (1884-1946), anticipating . . . — — Map (db m82637) HM
The United States Government Land Grant transfer from Byron Kilbourn, et al to Caroline P. Brown took place March 10, 1847.
This front gable home was typical of many houses built between 1850 and 1925. This property is part of the original plat . . . — — Map (db m70014) HM
The United State Government Land Grant transfer to William W. Verbeck took place January 1, 1848.
In the early 1850s a barn and home were constructed.
The residence is a square, two-story brick structure, featuring arched brick frames over . . . — — Map (db m59567) HM
This block was deeded to Washington County on May 2, 1853, by the Wightman, Kilbourn, Kneeland, and Wolcott families to locate and erect county buildings. The original courthouse, constructed in 1854, was relocated to Main Street when the 1889 . . . — — Map (db m35206) HM
This building was one of the first brick buildings erected in West Bend. It replaced an original structure built in 1852 and destroyed by fire on January 1, 1864 and it was re-opened on October 15, 1864 as a headquarters for travelers along the . . . — — Map (db m35209) HM