Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Wayne County Indiana Historical Markers

 
Marker in the Small Park at Main & Foote image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, April 9, 2006
Marker in the Small Park at Main & Foote
Indiana (Wayne County), Cambridge City — 89.1992.2 — Cambridge City
A transportation center, platted 1836 along the Whitewater River, the Cumberland/National Road, and the Whitewater Canal route. Four steam railroads served the town; interurban electric railroad opened 1903. Cambridge City Historic District listed . . . — Map (db m63949) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Cambridge City — Cambridge City Veterans Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those who fought to maintain this nation’s freedom — Map (db m120306) WM
Indiana (Wayne County), Cambridge City — Indian Boundary LineThe Treaty of Fort Wayne — The Twelve Mile Purchase/ The Ten O’Clock Line —
Indian Boundary Line marking the Twelve Mile Purchase from the Indians by the Fort Wayne Treaty in 1809 by Gov. William Henry Harrison

Placed by the National Old Trails Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m120639) HM

Indiana (Wayne County), Cambridge City — 89.1963.1 — Iron Brigade Commander
One-quarter mile south of this marker is the home of General Solomon A. Meredith, Iron Brigade Commander at Gettysburg. Born in North Carolina, Meredith was an Indiana political leader and post-war Surveyor-General of Montana Territory. — Map (db m4122) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Cambridge City — 89.1992.1 — Overbeck House and Studio
Indiana's first art pottery, a nationally-recognized product of the American Arts and Crafts Movement, was produced 1911–1955 by the Overbeck sisters. Their 1930s Federal Style house, one block south, was listed in National Register of . . . — Map (db m265) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Cambridge City — 89.2014.1 — Virginia Claypool Meredith"Queen of American Agriculture"
Side A As a writer, speaker, stockbreeder, and university professor, Meredith (born 1848) encouraged women to pursue education and careers related to farm life. She inherited Oakland Farm, three blocks south, 1882. Successfully grew business and . . . — Map (db m120302) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — Early Masonic Hall
Webb Lodge No. 24, established in 1823, leased the second floor of this building owned by Israel Abrahams, Centerville merchant, and met alternately here and at Richmond until 1827. Hiram Lodge No. 42 also met here, 1846. erected by the . . . — Map (db m139260) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — 89.2013.1 — George Washington Julian
(Side One) A political leader defined by his moral convictions, Julian (1817-1899) advocated for abolition, equal rights and land reform, during a period marked by slavery, Civil War, monopolies, and discrimination against blacks, . . . — Map (db m69282) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — Historic National Road / Make History, Drive ItThe Road That Built The Nation
(Side One) Historic National Road The Road That Built The Nation Pike Towns The National Road--along which you now stand—arrived here in Centerville in 1832. Centerville was an early "pike town". Regularly . . . — Map (db m69309) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — Honor RollWorld War I
Honor Roll erected in honor of the men of Center Twp. Wayne Co., Ind. who answered their country’s call to serve for God and humanity in the World War 1917- 1918 by the War Mothers and Citizens of this Twp. (94 names, 1 killed in action, 3 . . . — Map (db m139262) WM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — John Scott, 1793 (?)-1838
John Scott, 1793 (?)-1838 Pioneer Journalist, Centerville editor and publisher of Indiana Gazetteer dedicated by Indiana East Chapter SPJ, Sigma Delta Chi October 22, 1978 — Map (db m139136) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — Mansion House
The Mansion House Historic National Road Tavern Built 1837 Presented to The Wayne County, Indiana, Historical Society January 1967 by Lola C. Beckett who also gave her extensive collection of regional antiquities, gathered with . . . — Map (db m139311) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — Old Salisbury Court House
Old Salisbury Court House Wayne County’s first seat of justice Built 1811 in Salisbury Reconstructed in 1952 on this site The only original log court house still standing in Old Northwest Territory

Marker presented by Weetomp Chapter . . . — Map (db m139137) HM

Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — 89.1962.1 — Oliver P. Morton Home
Residence of Oliver P. Morton, Governor of Indiana during the crucial years of the American Civil War, 1861-65. U.S. Senator, 1867-77. Morton was the first native-born governor of Indiana. — Map (db m264) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — 89.2018.1 — Wayne County SeminaryOld School Site on the National Road
Side A Non-denominational academies called county seminaries opened across Indiana soon after statehood. Wayne County Seminary opened at present day Spruce and School Streets in 1829 and by 1835 offered elementary to collegiate level classes for . . . — Map (db m120296) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Dublin — 89.2003.1 — Indiana’s First Woman’s Rights Convention
A convention was called for by reform-minded Congregational Friends meeting at Greensboro, Henry County, January 1851. Convention held October 14-15, 1851 at Dublin adopted resolutions for political, social, and financial rights for women. Women and . . . — Map (db m270) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), East Germantown — 89.1978.1 — East Germantown Civil War Band
Band organized in East Germantown; members enlisted in 1862. Assigned to the Twelfth Regiment of Indiana Volunteers. Fought with General Ulysses S. Grant. Marched with General William T. Sherman from Atlanta to the sea. Erected in memory of D.W. . . . — Map (db m4668) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Fountain City — Fountain City Veterans MemorialWillow Grove Cemetery
In honor of all who served this nation and in memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice to defend it and the freedom we cherish. — Map (db m120386) WM
Indiana (Wayne County), Fountain City — Home of Levi Coffin
1827 1847 This house was called the "Union Depot of the Underground Railroad," and more than 2000 escaped slaves were cared for here. Tablet placed by Wayne Co. Society of Indianapolis — Map (db m4482) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Fountain City — 89.2002.1 — Levi Coffin
(Front Side): Levi Coffin (1798-1877), a Quaker abolitionist, lived in Newport (now Fountain City) with his family 1826-1847. Moved from North Carolina because he and his wife, Catharine, opposed slavery. Advocated, and sold in his store, . . . — Map (db m4480) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Milton — Valley Grove CemeteryValley Grove Church
The Valley Grove Cemetery Association was organized Jan. 1, 1876.

The original officers were - John Wallace, President     B. F. Beeson, Secretary     John W. Ferguson, Treasurer

The Valley Grove Church was completed on this . . . — Map (db m120319) HM

Indiana (Wayne County), Milton — Valley Grove Veterans Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those who fought to maintain this nations freedom — Map (db m120320) WM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — 1968 Downtown Richmond Explosion
In memory of the forty-one persons who lost their lives in the tragic downtown explosion April 6, 1968 and with everlasting gratitude to those who helped give rebirth to this city — Map (db m21999) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — 89.2018.2 — Bishop William Paul QuinnBethel AME Church
Side A As a traveling missionary and preacher, Quinn helped establish the African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME) in free and slave states before the Civil War. He influenced the faith, community, and education of thousands of . . . — Map (db m120251) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — C. Francis Jenkins
. . . — Map (db m149418) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — 89.1963.2 — Camp Wayne
Civil War training camp for the then 5th Congressional District was located on the old fairgrounds. The 16th, 36th, 57th, 69th, 74th, 84th, and 124th regiments of Indiana Volunteers were organized and trained here. — Map (db m133615) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Freedom Fountain
Donated and built by The Citizens of Wayne County in grateful appreciation and eternal remembrance of Wayne County Veterans, of all wars, killed in action or declared missing, who have made the supreme sacrifice that freedom . . . — Map (db m22002) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Historic National RoadThe Road That Built the Nation
Side A An Important Road The National Road is a true American icon, conceived by George Washington, authorized by Thomas Jefferson, and traveled by Abraham Lincoln.

In 1806 construction of the National Road was approved by the US . . . — Map (db m139348) HM

Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Historic National RoadThe Road That Built the Nation
Side A Standing Tall Dedicated on October 28, 1928, this Madonna statue is a tribute to the pioneering spirit of women.

In 1911 the Daughters of the American Revolution proposed a “model highway” from Washington, DC, to . . . — Map (db m139349) HM

Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Korean War Memorial1950 - 1955
Dedicated to those who fought to keep South Korea free and to those who maintain the vigilance. Dedicated June 23, 1984 — Map (db m22003) WM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Madonna of the Trail
(Southwest Face) N.S.D.A.R. Memorial to the Pioneer Mothers of the Covered Wagon Days. (Northwest Face) A Nation's Highway! Once a wilderness trail over which hardy pioneers made their perilous way seeking new homes in the dense forests of the . . . — Map (db m244) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Madonna of the TrailSide Marker
The Madonna of the Trail statue, commissioned by the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, was designed and sculpted by August Leimbach of St. Louis, Missouri. It symbolizes the courage, faith, and spirit of the pioneer mothers who . . . — Map (db m138880) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Mary B. Thistlethwaite Birdsall Home“Lauramoore”
A premier suffragist and advocate of women’s rights, Mary B. Thistlethwaite Birdsall was the women’s editor of the Indiana Farmer and in 1855 became editor and proprietor of the “Lily”, a nationally distributed magazine devoted to the . . . — Map (db m138968) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Mendenhall-Clay Debate / Confrontation
On October First, 1842, in what was then an open tract in this city square. Henry Clay, the leader of the Whig Party, delivered an address to an immense multitude and Hiram Mendenhall, a Quaker abolitionist, presented to him on behalf of the . . . — Map (db m138953) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Old Camp Wayne1861 1865
Upon this hallowed and historic ground was organized and mustered into the volunteer service, for the preservation of the Union, the loyal and patriotic men composing the following regiments: 16th Indiana Vol. Inf. 36th Indiana . . . — Map (db m138927) WM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Richmond Police Department Memorial
In honor of those who gave their lives for their community Amos Markle, Mar. 13, 1884 George Little, July 8, 1916 Elmer Stephenson, July 8, 1916 John Hennigar, Oct. 21, 1924 Police Officer's Prayer “Lord I ask for courage . . . — Map (db m22017) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Richmond's Record Roots
Charles Mosey, president of Mosey Manufacturing, began his notable career by making record dies in 1946. — Map (db m22016) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Sailor Street
Named for John Sailor, Richmond's first mayor after incorporation in 1840. As taverns required a back entrance on a street, this alley north of Main, from 7th to 11th, was named Sailor Street. This site is where the Starr House, noted hotel . . . — Map (db m41478) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — The Boundary Line Between Government and Indian Lands
This Tablet Marks the Boundary Line Between Government and Indian Lands fixed by Gen. Anthony Wayne and Twelve Tribes of Indians in the Greenville Treaty 1795 also The Site of Salisbury 1/3 mile south east ---- the first . . . — Map (db m120635) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — The First Toll Gate
This tablet marks the site of the first toll gate in the state of Indiana erected about 1850. — Map (db m288) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — The Four BouldersBulla- Hoover School — College Hill School —
The four boulders forming the base of this marker were the corner stones of the Bulla- Hoover school built by the first settlers in 1809, one hundred forty feet east of this spot, on the line between the Hoover and Clawson grants of land. This land . . . — Map (db m138708) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Thistlethwaite FallsWhitewater Gorge
On this site in 1854 Timothy Thistlethwaite and his brother-in-law Joseph Ratliff dammed the water of the river with the use of farm teams, placing large boulders at the bottom of an earth and stone fill in the river channel; this changing the . . . — Map (db m138711) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Vietnam War Memorial1961 - 1975
Dedicated to those who served in Vietnam — Map (db m22008) WM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Wayne Township World War II Memorial
A living memorial dedicated in commemoration of those who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II from Wayne Township In grateful tribute to all men and women of this area who have or will serve in defense of our country Rededicated by . . . — Map (db m22009) WM

44 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 25, 2020