Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wood County West Virginia Historical Markers

 
Belleville Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, September 28, 2018
Belleville Marker
West Virginia (Wood County), Belleville — WO-1 — Belleville
Just north of here, Joseph Wood built a fort in 1785 on land first patented by Dr. James Craik, friend of George Washington. Garrisoned by Virginia troops in 1791, it was the most important outpost between the Kanawha and Little Kanawha rivers. — Map (db m124349) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Albert J. Woofter1918 – 1990
This park is dedicated to the memory of Albert Johnson Woofter, who for 42 years heralded Parkersburg and the Little Kanawha area through his popular Town and Country column and other writings in the Parkersburg News. Al was one of the . . . — Map (db m124245) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Blennerhassett IslandBlennerhassett Mansion
Situated just 1.8 miles below Parkersburg in the Ohio River is historic Blennerhassett Island. This 3.8 mile long island was once the home of the wealthy Irish immigrants Harman and Margaret Blennerhassett. After moving to the Island in 1798, they . . . — Map (db m73569) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Burr-Blennerhassett
Harman Blennerhassett purchased island in 1797, and built for his bride a mansion which became the showplace of the Ohio Valley. Aaron Burr was his guest in 1805. Here they planned a military expedition with the intention to conquer the Southwest. — Map (db m124220) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Col. Hugh Phelps
Wood County formally organized, August 12, 1799, at the home of Colonel Hugh Phelps, who came here, 1787. Phelps made the first effort to arrest Burr and Blennerhassett. About 1800, he built this house, later the home of Thomas Tavernner. — Map (db m73625) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Creating West VirginiaParkersburg's Wartime Politicians
During the Civil War, several Parkersburg residents played a role in carving the new state of West Virginia from the Old Dominion of Virginia and in representing it at the national level. Much of the political life of the city took place in . . . — Map (db m73520) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Early ParkersburgCourt Square
In 1773, Robert Thornton claimed 1400 acres encompassing today's downtown Parkersburg, but sold it ten years later to Captain Alexander Parker, for whom the town was later named. The first permanent settler was Captain James Neal who erected a . . . — Map (db m73570) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Escape to Freedom
The Ohio R. was a major gateway to freedom for enslaved Africans via the Underground Railroad, a clandestine network of people, places, routes, and modes of transportation used in their flight from bondage. Network's peak activity was between 1830 . . . — Map (db m73565) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Fort BoremanProtecting the B&O Railroad
The men of Co. A, 11th West Virginia Infantry (US), constructed Fort Boreman in 1863 to protect the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad here. The B&O, the most important east-west rail line that linked the Atlantic coast with the American interior, was . . . — Map (db m73585) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Fort Boreman During the Civil War
Fort Boreman was a military fortification constructed by the United States Army during the Civil War. The protection of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, the two turnpikes, the Northwestern and the Staunton-Parkersburg, and river port facilities was . . . — Map (db m73607) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Fort Boreman Hill
The prominent known locally as Fort Boreman Hill encompasses almost 250 acres. However, the actual site of Fort Boreman, its gun stations, powder magazine, and winter quarters, utilized only a small portion of the hill. The same natural . . . — Map (db m73618) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — George Rogers Clark
At the Little Kanawha, 1774, George Rogers Clark and 90 companions, largely recruited in what is now West Virginia, assembled on their way into Kentucky. Their plans, halted by Indian Wars, later resulted in conquest of the Northwest. — Map (db m124219) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Historic Blennerhassett Hotel
To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the historic Blennerhassett Hotel, we dedicate this monument to the city of Parkersburg and the Blennerhassett Historical Park Commission on the day, Saturday, May 6, 1989. In the four parts of the earth . . . — Map (db m73581) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Historic Blennerhassett Island
One and one-half miles below the confluence of the Ohio and Little Kanawha rivers lies historic Blennerhassett Island, home of the Irish aristocrat Harman Blennerhassett and his wife Margaret from 1798 to 1806. Blennerhassett is known for his . . . — Map (db m73602) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Historic Parkersburg (West) Virginia
Parkersburg was permanently settled in 1785 by Capt. James Neal, a veteran of Lord Dunmore’s War and the Revolutionary War. It was first surveyed in 1796 as Springville, chartered in 1800 as Newport, and resurveyed and renamed Parkersburg in 1810 in . . . — Map (db m73590) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Jacob Beeson Blair
Born in Parkersburg on April 11, 1821, Blair was an attorney before the Civil War. Elected in 1861 to fill a vacancy in the US House of Representatives, he served until 1865 and was a staunch supporter of the Union and WV statehood. On New . . . — Map (db m124280) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Julia-Ann Square Historic DistrictParkesrburg, West Virginia
With the end of the Civil War, the opening of West Virginia’s oil and gas industry, the quickened pace of roads, railroads and rivers, and the influx of industry, the city’s population grew. The area just north of town which included Juliana and Ann . . . — Map (db m124212) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Neal's Station
Neal's Station or Fort Neal was built in 1785 by Capt. James Neal, Revolutionary War veteran, who led a party of settlers to the mouth of the Little Kanawha. Neal first came here in 1783 surveying present site of Parkersburg. — Map (db m73623) HM WM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Ohio / West Virginia
Ohio Named for the river, called by the Iroquois the "Beautiful River." Visited by LaSalle in 1769-1770. Once part of the Northwest Territory. Settled at Marietta, 1788. Admitted to the Union, 1803. Home of 8 United States Presidents. West . . . — Map (db m73515) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Old Tollgate House
Here is the site of the Old Tollgate House where the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike and the Northwestern Turnpike met. Surveyed by Col. Claudius Crozet, both roads were completed to the Ohio River by 1850. — Map (db m73619) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Old Turnpikes
Washington, who had favored the Braddock Road, proposed the Northwestern Turnpike to the Ohio through Virginia in 1784. It was completed to Parkersburg in 1838. The road from Staunton to Parkersburg was opened in 1847. — Map (db m73620) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Parkersburg
Blockhouse at "Point" built by Virginia for border defense during the Indian hostilities. Garrisoned by troops under Bogard, Coburn, and others. Still standing in 1803. County seat established in 1800 on land given by John Stokley. — Map (db m73517) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Parkersburg High School
Founded in 1867, Parkersburg High’s current Tudor structure is a Frank Packard design built in 1917. PHS was the state’s largest high school until 1940 and served all of the city until 1967, when a second high school opened on the South Side . . . — Map (db m124211) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Parkersburg in 1861
Parkersburg, (West) Virginia, was first settled permanently in 1785 by Capt. James Neal and other kinfolk and neighbors from Springhill Township, Fayette County, Pa. First chartered by the Virginia Assembly in 1800 as Newport, the town was . . . — Map (db m73605) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Peter G. Van Winkle
Born in New York, 1808, he moved to Wood County in 1835 and practiced law. Was officer of Northwestern Virginia Railroad and delegate to Virginia constitutional convention, 1850-51. Delegate to Wheeling and constitutional conventions during war, he . . . — Map (db m124215) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — RailroadsAnn Street Station
Railroads played an important role in the development of Parkersburg. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad reached Parkersburg in 1857, and the railroad bridge over the Ohio River was completed in 1871. It measures 7140 feet in length and at the time of . . . — Map (db m73568) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Sumner School / Robert W. Simmons
Sumner School. Established in January 1862 thru the leadership of Robert Simmons. First free school south of Mason-Dixon Line. Later named for abolitionist senator Charles Sumner. First high school class graduated, 1887. Closed in 1955 as state . . . — Map (db m73516) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Tavenner Cemetery
To the east of this cemetery, on the banks of the Little Kanawha River, in 1785, Captain James Neal formed the first permanent settlement in Wood County, Virginia. The vast acreage owned by Captain Neal and his son-in-law, Colonel Hugh . . . — Map (db m124281) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — The Beautiful Ohio River
The Ohio River, called La Belle Riviere (the beautiful river) by the French, derives its name from an Iroquois word meaning “good river” or “large river.” The Ohio flows generally along a southwesterly 981-mile course from . . . — Map (db m73592) HM WM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — The Block-House
Northeast of this spot on river bank stood the Block-House built in 1784 by James Neal. — Map (db m73626) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — The PointParkersburg-Belpre Ferry Boat
The confluence of the Ohio and Little Kanawha Rivers is known as “the Point.” It was the site of downtown Parkersburg’s earliest settlement and the stopping place for several famous people. George Washington paused here in his trip down . . . — Map (db m73580) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — The Toll House
This marks the site of The Toll House at the meeting of the Staunton and Northwestern Pikes over which came the sturdy pioneers to settle Wood County. — Map (db m73621) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Vital Transportation CenterMcClellan Occupies Parkersburg
At the beginning of the Civil War, both sides recognized the strategic importance of Parkersburg. Besides its location on the Ohio River, the Northwestern Virginia Railroad branch of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, the Staunton and Parkersburg . . . — Map (db m73538) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — W.H. Smith Hardward Co
National Register of Historic Places-W.H. Smith Hardware Co. Building-1889 — Map (db m73535) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — West Virginia's First Governor / Parkersburg Governors
West Virginia's First Governor Arthur I. Boreman presided at June 1861 Wheeling Convention where statehood plan formulated. Elected state's first governor June 20, 1863. He served three, two-year terms, resigning in 1868 to take U.S. Senate . . . — Map (db m73519) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Women of Courage
Aunt Jenny, African American, who blew horn at the "Point" as signal to river boats, served as "Conductor" on the Underground Railroad. Jane, of "low stature and very fleshy," "lame in one leg," and age 50, escaped Aug. 1843 with seven of her . . . — Map (db m73564) HM WM
West Virginia (Wood County), Parkersburg — Wood County Court House
National Register of Historic Places-Wood County Court House 1899 — Map (db m73518) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Washington — Washington Bottom
A tract of 2314 acres was acquired by George Washington three miles west on Dec. 15, 1772, for services in the French and Indian War. It was surveyed by William Crawford in June, 1771. It bordered for five miles on the Ohio River. — Map (db m124330) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Waverly — Dunmore’s Camp
Lord Dunmore’s army train camped here in 1774 on the way to Indian country. The route followed the old trail crossing the Ohio at the mouth of Hocking River. Here in 1791 Indians killed Nicholas Carpenter and party. — Map (db m124210) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Wellsley — Prehistoric Sites
In addition to its historic importance Blennerhassett Island also contains important prehistoric sites. Several Indian villages exist on the Island, and large collections of Indian artifacts have been found here. Largest of the sites, a Fort . . . — Map (db m124317) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Williamstown — Commandant Archbold Henderson
Archbold Henderson was the brother of Alexander Henderson, father of G. W. Henderson who built Henderson Hall. He was Commandant of the Marine Corps for 38 years from 1821 to 1859. He served on the U.S. Constitution, “Old Ironsides” in . . . — Map (db m73514) WM
West Virginia (Wood County), Williamstown — Henderson HallHolding Firm for the Union
This was the home of George Washington Henderson, a prominent Wood County resident, slaveholder, and participant in the West Virginia statehood movement during the Civil War. Henderson served as a member of the county’s contingent to the convention . . . — Map (db m73513) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Williamstown — Tomlinson Mansion
This restored colonial brick mansion built, 1839, by Joseph Tomlinson III, is town's oldest home. John Audubon, famous U.S. naturalist who painted and wrote about birds of North America, spent some time here studying birds of the area. — Map (db m73512) HM
West Virginia (Wood County), Williamstown — Williamstown
Named for Isaac Williams, who settled in 1787 on land preempted in 1770 by Joseph Tomlinson and his children, Joseph, Samuel, and Rebecca. Williams, veteran of border wars, married Rebecca. Court met at their home in 1800. — Map (db m73496) HM

44 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.